Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2019 8:13 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Autumn Frost arc this episode.

Now that Manji has Taito (part of the Itto-Ryu) together on this journey to find Rin, he still faces bad blood between old people. Shira, his old friend, is one example of someone who doesn't take grudges well.

What's worse for his lackeys is that no matter how much they injure Manji, there's no way they can defeat an immortal person. Quick issue resolved.

And even for Magatsu, even though the challenge of killing Shira is a tough one, but his lover getting involved is one rife of an issue (as is with women being prostitutes in that era). And ending his hand on a thread is his way of revenge. Killing two hands with one sword (each).

Rin is still alive, but as well as Manji wishes her safety, death is always near her at cutthroat length. What truly happened to her in her journey to Kaga to fight the Itto-Ryu?
KANLen09Dec 11, 2019 8:16 AM
Dec 11, 2019 8:40 AM

Apr 2016
So this dude lost his hand .. then he was cut through his chest, twice .. then he lost another hand .. and fell through the waterfall. If you gonna tell me we will see him again in this, ill start to belive fairies will apear too.
Dec 11, 2019 8:45 AM

Feb 2011
A weapon made out of his still attached bones ? I'm not sure how realistic/practical that is lol

Swagernator said:
So this dude lost his hand .. then he was cut through his chest, twice .. then he lost another hand .. and fell through the waterfall. If you gonna tell me we will see him again in this, ill start to belive fairies will apear too.

We going full Berserk
Dec 11, 2019 10:16 AM

Feb 2015
Yea, I'm believing less and less that Shira turns into an interesting or well written character and is just edge bait. He seems like, and shows no signs or becoming anything more than, a cheap villain that angers the viewer and the characters by via boring and lazy psychopath tropes such as rape, torture and murder and then explicitly explaining what a terrible person he is, without doing any of it especially well. I can see how he'd have value in the story, but as a character, he seems to be awful in a lazily written sense. If you're going to write characters like this, do it well like Golden Kamuy, or GoT.

Forget realistic or practical, that arm BS is impossible, you'd get an insane infection, and be in constant immobilizing pain. You'd literally have to be unable to feel pain to have that kind of arm, though, it'd still get you killed in a week flat, if that. Especially with fucking exposed marrow. Living bone attached to a human being isn't strong enough to block swords without getting chipped or outright broken. You'd also be frequently leaking blood. This is bullshit on so many levels. Manji having all those weapons shoved up his ass and robes is more believable that that arm or him living with it.

I get this anime has immortals, but this dude is a normal guy and he nearly got bisected by those two slashes to the shoulders (where some of the biggest blood vessels flow) and lost his other hand. He'd have bled out in like 5-10 minutes, if that. And that ignores the 20+ feet drop into water which would be like hitting concrete. This is ridiculous.
Dec 11, 2019 1:24 PM

Jul 2013
I liked the fight, I only wish the OST of the anime would be better to make it even more thrilling.
About Shira, well, he's just a sick bastard that exists solely to be despised by the audience. Guess he was created to balance Anotsu, who is a more noble and less "villanous" (taking in mind that he also did terrible stuff) antagonist.

And speaking about Anotsu, it seems Rin is in big trouble now...
Dec 11, 2019 3:16 PM

Oct 2017
yeah, i dont think Shira is dead yet.

Dec 11, 2019 5:15 PM

May 2018
Best episode so far.
Dec 11, 2019 6:38 PM

Mar 2008
This adaptation really got the idea that "Shira is evil" and went all the way with it, not missing out and highlighting the image of him falling to the deeps while promising to craw all the way up like a true banished demon.
Shira is a "villain".
This is a well known "fact".
But I didn't remember him being "evil".
When I read this years ago in the manga I don't remember feeling the same. What a difference that a voice actor does! And the way that some scenes were directed sure helped, then for me this was a good episode.

This episode also gave a glimpse of the potential to humor that this have and it's not being explored because of the suppressed dialogues.
To contrast with Shira we could see that Manji is a chill empathetic dude (when he gave the money to Magatsu) and that Anotsu isn't a "bad" person per se, helping an unfortunate person by the roadside.
Dec 11, 2019 11:04 PM

Mar 2019
Awesome episode. That was the best fight so far. I've also been really impressed by the voice acting. Shira's laughs are great.

Swagernator said:

The hero of the show can get chopped up into pieces and put himself together again, so...
Dec 12, 2019 12:39 AM

Apr 2016
poemofdevil said:

The hero of the show can get chopped up into pieces and put himself together again, so...

Yeah but the hero of the show was explained to be immortal, so ...
Dec 12, 2019 3:35 AM

Mar 2019
Swagernator said:
poemofdevil said:

Yeah but the hero of the show was explained to be immortal, so ...

And? So you're willing to suspend your disbelief for one thing and not another? What about the guy who who was walking around with heads sewn on to his shoulders in an earlier episodes? That's easier to swallow? Or that Manji is magically able to hide an arsenal of blades in his clothing?
poemofdevilDec 12, 2019 3:57 AM
Dec 12, 2019 4:04 AM

Apr 2016
Yautja said:
Yea, I'm believing less and less that Shira turns into an interesting or well written character and is just edge bait. He seems like, and shows no signs or becoming anything more than, a cheap villain that angers the viewer and the characters by via boring and lazy psychopath tropes such as rape, torture and murder and then explicitly explaining what a terrible person he is, without doing any of it especially well. I can see how he'd have value in the story, but as a character, he seems to be awful in a lazily written sense. If you're going to write characters like this, do it well like Golden Kamuy, or GoT.

I mean:

White hair ? Check.
Edgy laugh ? Check.
Wants to kill everyone ? Check.

Yep.

poemofdevil said:
And? So you're willing to suspend your disbelief for one thing and not another? What about the guy who who was walking around with heads sewn on to his shoulders in an earlier episodes? That's easier to swallow? Or that Manji is magically able to hide an arsenal of blades in his clothing?

Yeah but the guy who who was walking around with heads sewn on to his shoulders in an earlier episodes died when they chopped his head off.
SwagernatorDec 12, 2019 4:11 AM
Dec 12, 2019 7:32 AM

Nov 2019
It was great finally seeing this battle animated, since it was definitely one of the most memorable fights in the whole manga. So far in this adaptation most fights have been cut short (or cut altogether), but I suspected if there ever was to be an exception, it would have been this one, and thankfully they kept pretty much all of it and managed to do justice to its grittiness and brutality. We even got some moments of proper solid animation, like when Shira kicked Magatsu into the shed.

The only thing that bummed me out was the ending of the episode, since it shows that once again they've skipped a large portion of the story, since Anotsu was supposed to have a whole solo journey before finding Rin (and the preview for the next episode seems to confirms this was basically cut and not just reordered). I find this especially regrettable since, out of all the major players in the story, Anotsu is the one that most desperately needs more screentime and development in this adaptation, as he’s sorely lacking in presence in it thus far. But I suppose I'll wait until I actually see the next episode to see what they do with him this time.
Dec 12, 2019 9:04 AM

Oct 2013
Another great episode, I wonder how Shira will fight without hands.
Dec 12, 2019 9:12 AM

Aug 2012
The fight was so damn awsome.
Shira is insane MF.
Dec 12, 2019 10:02 AM
Mar 2015
The lady killer did suffer for his crimes. Unfortunately Rin is now facing the object of her revenge
Dec 12, 2019 11:36 AM
Nov 2019
This episode was awesome
Dec 13, 2019 2:27 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That ending tho. Scary.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 14, 2019 8:37 AM

May 2018
Well Rin finally arrives to her destination, but unfortunaly she meets the head of the Itto Ryu.
Dec 14, 2019 9:08 PM

Oct 2008
Never knew Magatsu was this weak against Shira...oh man!

Jan 28, 2020 5:09 PM

Jun 2012
Shira has been the most entertaining character so far. Really hope he comes back.
Shoot first, think never.
Mar 11, 2020 9:35 AM
Apr 2016
That was certainly a nice fight; was intense and directed well. The ending... seriously, Rin will fall for you Anotsu if you keep saving her in spite of morally not having any right to...
Apr 16, 2020 12:49 PM

Jul 2015
When you thought the psycho guy couldn't get any worse... don't think this will be his last screentime he is basically a monster at this point

Jun 12, 2022 4:42 AM

Jul 2016
Heimur said:
yeah, i dont think Shira is dead yet.

For some reason neither can I.
Mar 18, 8:54 PM
Feb 2022
Manji is pretty average as a fighter.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 5 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Oct 30, 2019

23 by Apreggi »»
Apr 24, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 4 Discussion

Rider9530 - Oct 23, 2019

38 by Apreggi »»
Apr 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JustAnotherShiro - Oct 16, 2019

80 by Apreggi »»
Apr 21, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Joseahfer - Oct 9, 2019

61 by Apreggi »»
Apr 19, 11:28 PM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Joseahfer - Oct 9, 2019

81 by Apreggi »»
Apr 19, 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.