Forum Settings
Forums

Is too late to watch One Piece? and if its not how soon should i start?

New
Nov 21, 2019 5:06 AM

Oct 2019
H Mal Users,
I've recently started watching anime regularly and I'm wondering when should I start watching the behemoth also known as One Piece?
I'm only watching anime with 12 episodes, 24 episodes or anything under 30, because currently, I don't have the time (Thanks to school) to watch a 100+ episode anime, I'm considering watching it in the spring/summer Vacation so I can watch as many episodes as possible, but at the same time I can't make up my mind and that's why I'm making this post is for you to help me.

All the best,
Ross
Nov 21, 2019 5:22 AM
Jul 2018
It's never too late to watch one piece.. however it's going to take a lot of time.. so binge-watching during vacations is the best option in your case i guess..
Nov 21, 2019 5:25 AM

Oct 2019
Alright, thank you! I'll consider that.
Nov 21, 2019 5:28 AM

Jul 2019
Tbh I’d recommend you reading the manga instead, the anime almost has as much episodes as the manga has chapters and usually the chapter-episode ratio is around 3 so yeah... If you don’t read manga, well just watch it. I don’t know why it is a problem that it is a long series, if you watch a long series instead of multiple smaller series at the end you’ve still watched the same amount of anime.
Nov 21, 2019 5:38 AM

Nov 2016
fleurmorbide said:
It's never too late to watch one piece..

Just this. Unless you're going to die next week it's never too late.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 21, 2019 5:43 AM
Nov 2018
Not at all. Without fillers, the 900+ episodes end up being 700 or so and if you skip intros and summaries (In long arcs, One Piece has a summary at the start of every episode), you will binge it without noticing it.

However, I recommend you to read the manga instead. Even if Oda's drawing is not the best at the start, he improves his drawing as the manga goes on. In addition, Toei's adaptation is bad as fuck, specially in the second part of the manga.

If you are an anime guy then you can go like this too:

Pre time-skip (until episode 500 or so): Anime
Spost time skip (from 500 onwards): Manga
Eventually, you'll fall into death's embrace anyway, so it's stupid to be bound by useless ideals.

Nov 21, 2019 5:45 AM

May 2018
I will recommend you to watch it in small chinks - maximum 4-6 episodes a day.
Skip all fillers (maybe except G-8) and recap episodes.
Skipping the double OP and the recap at the beginning of every regular episode will give you about 12 minutes actual watching.

When/if you reach Dressrosa you can switch to manga because at that point the anime gets really really slow.
alshuNov 21, 2019 6:01 AM
Nov 21, 2019 5:47 AM

Nov 2011
It's actually too soon to watch One Piece now because it's still airing/publishing.
And yeah, you got it, it's never too late for watching something, there are still new people who just recently watched Citizen Kane for example.

But for consideration, with the time needed to watch unfinishing currently 900+ episode One Piece, you can watch the entire Gundam franchise instead ...
Jim_HeartNov 21, 2019 6:04 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 21, 2019 5:49 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
If you decide to watch it, remember to use a filler list to skip pointless episodes, one piece doesn’t have too many straight up filler arcs but it can let you skip somewhere around 100 episodes(which again, is not a lot in one piece terms), anyway the most important thing is just to remember having fun with anime so if it fits your holiday schedule then great but if not it’s perfectly fine to keep watching shorter series, so have a nice time watching whatever and a good day!
Nov 21, 2019 5:57 AM

Jul 2016
It's never too late fam,i watched up to five hundred episodes of one piece from may to the start of summer last year,and i watched 20 episodes on average every single day(somedays more somedays less)so i can say it´s not impossible if you put your mind to it :)
Nov 21, 2019 5:58 AM
Jul 2018
Have One Piece wiki for reference later on because both anime and manga are gigantic with over 600 characters. Later on a lot of backtracking will be required to keep up with the plot and characters. Manga story and world expanded way too much to the point of being detrimental to the enjoyment in later volumes. Perhaps watching the anime in the second half would be easier than reading the manga.
Nov 21, 2019 5:59 AM

Jan 2018
Hmm I would recommend waiting for it to finish airing. But if you're watching at a slow pace, then it's good I guess. Surely there's skippable episodes like when they do flashback or recap but overall you can catch up to latest episode easily.
Nov 21, 2019 10:01 AM

Oct 2010
I don't know why are people recommending to skip fillers. The filler arcs are short and usually can serve as little breathers between major arcs, they have a similar feeling of adventure and overall are easy watches that don't distract you from the main story, due to their short length and their chronological placement in the series' run. Some are better than others but so are the canon arcs. And the filler scenes/episodes inside arcs, well, aside from recap episodes, and there's not many of them, they are usually pretty entertaining and can perfectly fit in the overall storyline.
Nov 21, 2019 10:17 AM

May 2019
If you want to get the best cancer-free experience, I recommend you to watch the regular episodes including the fillers until the time skip (ep 500-something) and then watch on One Pace (search on google) after the time skip because the pacing after time skip really sucks. Or you can switch to manga altogether.

Filler arcs before the time skip are high quality, they don't really feel like fillers. Especially the G8 arc is one of my favourite arcs in One Piece. In fact, I like it more than some canon arcs. Fillers after time skip aren't worth watching.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Nov 21, 2019 10:20 AM

Aug 2018
No it isn't too late. I watched it last year and it was totally worth the time.
Nov 21, 2019 10:23 AM

Aug 2010
I also recommend just reading the manga at least until you reach the land of Wano (which is where the anime currently is and will likely stay for the next 1.5 years)

The anime has so much filler in every episode that its kind of brutal.
maybe check out some youtube clips on specific fights and moments here and there. but the manga is probably the best way to go until you catch up
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Nov 21, 2019 10:33 AM

Jun 2019
Thanks for asking this question. I've was into anime years ago and got back into it this year, but have never tackled One Piece despite the fact that a few of my mates continually suggest this show. I was also put off but its sheer size, it's daunting to begin such as show, when you know you may not catch up for years, and will always feel like you're behind the action.
Nov 21, 2019 10:35 AM
May 2019
I recommend reading the manga instead of watching anime especially if you want to catch up faster.
XstasyNov 21, 2019 10:41 AM
Nov 21, 2019 10:39 AM

Jun 2019
Never it's too late for anything but I recommend waiting a bit. In a couple more years "One Piece" will possibly end so you can binge the shit out of it then.
Nov 21, 2019 10:39 AM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
It's an anime i would highly recommend, the start might be a bit slow like all anime, but once the good arcs come you will enjoy it a lot and episodes will pass by before you know it!

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
Nov 21, 2019 11:30 AM
Aug 2017
Read the manga instead. It's alot better coz the manga has major pacing issues later on and you can read the manga much faster.
Nov 21, 2019 11:34 AM

Mar 2015
It's never too late. Chances are the anime will end before you die so I mean you'll catch up eventually if you actually keep watching it.

It's not like Oda is a immortal vampire who'll keep on writing One Piece for centuries r-right?
Nov 21, 2019 12:00 PM

Jan 2015
Never too late. I watched it all this past summer in two months and 3 days. Although I started reading during Dressrosa which I recommend you do too.

More topics from this board

» Do you think Berserk will ever get the adaptation it truly deserves?

Gashadokur0 - Today

32 by MichaelJackson »»
15 seconds ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick?

APolygons2 - 8 hours ago

25 by MichaelJackson »»
2 minutes ago

» Overall are you happy with anime released these past few seasons/years lately? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

28 by LNW_R92CP »»
5 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

80 by Bisalissy »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » The most overrated characters that everyone loves ( 1 2 3 )

Lizz_Aleister - Dec 1, 2020

108 by LeonhartAugust »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.