Forum Settings
Forums

consistently better vs. starts off best ends up worst

New
Nov 13, 2019 11:18 AM
May 2019
which one do you prefer, watching an anime that starts off kinda average but consistently getting better on each episode or watching an anime that starts off so great but after each episode it's getting worse?
Nov 13, 2019 11:24 AM
Jul 2018
I prefer shows that begin meh and only get better as they go.

I hate the ones to begin strong only to end up as a giant disappointment.

Also this should have been a poll imo.
Nov 13, 2019 11:28 AM

Mar 2018
If it gets better then that gives me a good reason to keep watching, but if it gets worse then I would probably end up dropping it. Also I think the ending is crucial so if it's bad then that kinda ruins the whole anime for me.
Nov 13, 2019 11:32 AM

Nov 2007
@Dakago: I have no freaken' clue why anyone would vote for the latter. I mean, is there any point of this thread?
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 13, 2019 11:42 AM

Sep 2014
As you could guess from my favourite I prefer anime with a mediocre yet close to bad start. The progressive build-up to a fantastic final arc is fantastically rewarding. The early episodes had a satisfying payoff toward the end of the anime. So in the end you watched it for a reason. Clannad after story wouldn't be as praised as it is if it wasn't for all the build ups included in the first season.

I also don't mind strong start with weaker ending. Sometimes the journey may be a good enough experience that overcome the destination.
Nov 16, 2019 2:47 PM

Jun 2017
i prefer watching shows that are consistently great throughout kek

but yea i prefer the former
Nov 16, 2019 2:48 PM

Mar 2016
i prefer shows that are amazing all throughout but i understand we don't always get what we want
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Nov 16, 2019 8:33 PM

Sep 2014
I prefer anime which are straight up good. But if I had to choose between having a promising story ruined later on or just playing it safe overall I take the latter. Having a decent start, getting a bit better towards the middle and falling off drastically at the end is kinda standard by now.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 16, 2019 9:19 PM

Mar 2019
I actually thought Angel Beats had a really weak start. The first four episodes failed to grab my attention and I stopped watching for a few weeks. When I came back and started watching again though it started getting really good and the ending was amazing. Thus I gave it a 9 out of 10 score.

So to answer your question. Starting off boring or mediocre and getting better is definitely the way to go.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2019 9:30 PM

Aug 2016
Consistently better since if it starts at meh which is around 5 and consistently improves slightly after each episode, the show gets at least a 5.6 score experience on average after the first cour (~12). Multiple cours in and the score only improves from there.

The latter option seems to imply a 10 or close to it as possible to then a 1 or close to that as possible at the end (since there's no "0" in MAL). Assuming the episodes of 10 vs 1 are equally balanced means you get a 5.5 at best and can't go any higher than that.

Obviously the consistently better option.
Nov 16, 2019 9:32 PM
Jul 2018
Starts out meh and gets better. A lot of my favorite anime are exactly that.
Nov 16, 2019 10:20 PM
Mar 2019
In terms of satisfaction obviously those which get consistently better
No debate
But here’s the thing,in terms of enjoyment it can be the latter one too(not always tho)
A show that starts off with a banger and you know this will be in your memories for a long time gets average at the mid point and ends badly can be more enjoyable than those which get better by each eps.When a show already reaches certain heights,even if it ends bad that surprisingly makes it more unforgettable
Enjoyment over satisfaction?It’s up to you
Usually the ‘masterpiece’ shows are enlisted in the first category
Nov 16, 2019 10:28 PM

Oct 2013
Unless the ending is a spectacular dumpster fire, the kind where you just can't look away eventhough you know it's bad, then I'd say starting off okayish and slowly getting better would be my choice.
Nov 17, 2019 12:31 AM

Sep 2017
i prefer starts off boring and consistenly better, thats worth to wait and watch
Nov 17, 2019 3:31 AM

Oct 2008
Consistently better is my personal
preference, examples:
Grisaia no Rakuen
Charlotte
Darling in the Franxx
Evil or live
Kanata no Astra

Now series that start of strong but begin to fester as the story progresses:
Zetsuen no Tempest
Sword Art Online
91 days
Akame ga kill
Dies Irae
Gate: Jieitai

I will add that series who progressively degrade I still sometimes rate high because of how brilliant they were in the begining. Or sometimes I rate low out of spite, even though they were greate for two thirds of their duration. Its disheartening to witness something you love getting worse as time progresses.
SofiaBulgaNov 17, 2019 3:39 AM
Nov 17, 2019 3:46 AM
Jul 2019
It's in the title, ends up worst. Who would pick that? Might as well call it good vs bad anime.
Nov 17, 2019 3:56 AM

May 2019
The first one will probably be episode one dropped unless I hear some great things about it later. The second one will be dropped once it goes to crap.
In other words, indeterminate. I can't know because I'll just drop these shows.
Nov 17, 2019 3:59 AM

Nov 2011
Why is this even a question? Do you prefer good anime or bad anime?

Nov 17, 2019 4:03 AM

Feb 2018
I like my anime just like I like my coffee: avarage from the first sip to the last.

More topics from this board

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 4 hours ago

14 by LoveYourEyes »»
53 seconds ago

» What are you watching right now??

Nashiro18 - Apr 21

42 by Zedlin »»
10 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Apr 18

22 by Zedlin »»
11 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

45 by Zedlin »»
12 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 4 hours ago

9 by MeguSae38 »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.