Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Why does everyone think the original YGO was the best but it feels like nostalgia ruined modern anime tbh

New
Nov 7, 2019 3:10 AM

May 2016
Why do you like Gen 1 when Konami made better series likes Zexal, 5D'S, Vrains if i may ask?
Nov 13, 2019 1:13 AM
Apr 2015
Nostalgia. Most people who watched it when they were kids are in their 20s now.
I personally like 5Ds the best. Then the latter half of the original series is 2nd best. I haven't watched VRains, but i know its good.
I've seen the entirety of Zexal. Its bad. Some parts are really cool but the characters and parts of the story were horrible and annoying.
Just my opinion.
Nov 26, 2019 8:45 AM

May 2013
I personally don't get it.

DM had a ton of filler and as much as I love the filler it is kinda trash. That and I felt the story dragged a bit.

As an avid fan of Arc-V I can definitely say newer seasons of YGO get alot of unnecessary hate.

Also I like the character designs more in new YGO as opposed to old. The series designs have always been a special kind of stupid but I love how the modern shows use color contrast.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Nov 27, 2019 3:18 PM

May 2016
Alpha_Tranny said:
I personally don't get it.

DM had a ton of filler and as much as I love the filler it is kinda trash. That and I felt the story dragged a bit.

As an avid fan of Arc-V I can definitely say newer seasons of YGO get alot of unnecessary hate.

Also I like the character designs more in new YGO as opposed to old. The series designs have always been a special kind of stupid but I love how the modern shows use color contrast.

Modern anime community are quite hypocritical.Nostalgia. Most people who watched it when they were kids are in their 20s now.
Dec 21, 2019 4:38 PM
Jul 2016
AlphaOmegaKnight said:
Why do you like Gen 1 when Konami made better series likes Zexal, 5D'S, Vrains if i may ask?

First TV Tokyo and NAS who decides on the anime’s decisions with the mangaka too
Konami are just selling the card games and the merchandise of the franchise

Anyhow i think people like the original series since it’s basically the original story that started all of that but doesn’t mean that the other series are bad i still like them but i pefer the original anime more ofc even if it wasn’t a great adaptation to the manga but it still dear to my heart
Dec 22, 2019 6:09 AM
Jul 2018
Because Battle City is the best story arc in YGO. People just forgot about the rest of DM.
Dec 22, 2019 6:10 AM

Nov 2011
The original introduced us to the franchise what it was about and then everything after it start to drift away from it.

Dec 22, 2019 9:54 AM
Jul 2014
The original manga is better, the anime adaptation is fine, but the filler and changes ruins it. But it have one of the best OST's i ever listened.
Anyway, i think that the problem is that the rest of the series dont have any true relation to the original serie, they just use the card game, but the original history of YGO wasnt just thath and it wasnt either too dependient of it.
Dec 23, 2019 6:35 PM

Nov 2012
Zexal better than DM are you crazy?
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Dec 26, 2019 5:52 PM
Mar 2019
People get stuck in nostalgia. The only ones that were bad were arc-v and sexual. Goofy lazy shows that promoted new cards rather than the original(learning to stand on your own two feet),GX(You can learn and grow from any experience),5Ds(overcoming social status and what people define as fate), and VRAINS(Learning to grow past your scars.)
Dec 26, 2019 6:12 PM

Aug 2018
Because it is the best, I love it how dumb it is and how it takes itself so serious.
Dec 27, 2019 4:19 PM

Jan 2013
Honestly, I used to think it was the best because like everyone else here I saw it on TV at a young age.
When I decided to watch all of the Yugioh shows, I realized how silly and quickly it becomes repetitive and how it's just mindless duels for the sake of filling time.

Especially Vrains and GX, those for me were definitely the worst ones.
5D's at least had a pretty interesting story (a lot more serious aswell) which was interesting the entire show, Arc-V was good for the first half but quickly dropped after that unfortunately.

Duel Monsters is alright, I shouldn't have rewatched it honestly, the Japanese VA of Yugi is absolutely terrible imo (I'm glad he eventually found his footing around halfway through) and I would have watched it in the English dub if not for 4Kids changing literally all the cards to simplistic versions, making it more friendly for preteens.
Jan 2, 2020 5:10 AM

Apr 2015
Honestly the original is not the best to me, good story in the later seasons but other that Pegasus, Yugi, Kaiba, and Joey I don't remember anyone. That's not to say it wasn't good caz it was but 5D's is my favorite it have a good story, characters, and I feel it had the best summoning method but the last season fell off and plot point left unexplored likely Leo and Luna spirit world powers.
Jan 4, 2020 7:23 AM

Apr 2018
Zexal sucked, Vrains sucked, 5Ds was good but nothing is better than Duel Monsters story and character wise, that's why.
Atem and Kaiba are still the GOATs.

Oh, and the new season looks trash, good luck with the "new gen" lmao
killuaxgonJan 4, 2020 7:38 AM
Jan 4, 2020 7:53 AM

Dec 2016
Every Yu-gi-oh season have good and bad part. None of them are perfect:

DM: Duelist Kingdom was okay, Batlle City and the Millenial World was good but there a lot of filler arc with pretty bad.
GX: I personal prefer the first part and the character development of Chazz. The final arc however was kinda a mess.
5D: The Dark Singer arc was good, but after that 5D just went bad due to some production trouble. Yusei just a very bland protag. Also why didn't Yusei just use Turbo Warrior to counter Meklord?
Zexal: Zexal actually not as bad as most people said. The first part was bad but it get better later on.
Arc-V; Good at the start, show promising but then it have a huge dip in quality, especially in the final arc. Zarc officail the worst final villain.
V-Rain: It just kinda boring, nothing bad but nothing amazing too. And fuck link monsters.

I just don't like the 7th season art style. Yu-gi-oh was always make heavy use of color contrast and shading, it one of the unique thing about Yu-gi-oh anime. Making it look like other children card game show just take away the uniqueness.
Jan 11, 2020 5:34 AM

Apr 2011
Personally the best Yu-Gi-Oh! for me is the original manga, bc there's no fillers and the final arc is how it's supposed to be. I like the anime because it adapts most of the manga, and if I ignore the fillers and some changes it's still my favorite season. Besides, Kaiba is there.

I like GX, 5D's and Arc-V too. I haven't watched Zexal yet, but I tried watching VRAINS and I hated it.

I think it's stupid to assume that just because someone prefers the first series over the others it's because of "nostalgia".
Jan 15, 2020 5:29 AM
Jul 2018
5D's was the best one imo, together with the 5D's Tag Force games. It is what introduced me to anime in general. Don't really care for the rest even if I've seen them to the most part, I just never cared to finish them after a point on because YuGiOh is pretty bad in general.

Honestly I think I love 5D's so much mostly because of the characters and ideas found in it.
removed-userJan 18, 2020 9:34 AM
Jan 15, 2020 5:54 AM
Jul 2015
Gen 1 is the best though. Most iconic characters, memoral duels and the best ost.
Feb 16, 2020 3:52 PM

Feb 2013
Og Yugioh Manga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

But anyway, as for the anime, i think the first 3 series are the best, that is, DM, GX and 5D's. Maybe it's because of the character designs or something (or maybe it's because i feel they moved away from Takahashi's style HARD after 5D's) but that first trio is something i see as it's own era of Yugioh. Like, to me they're known as a "trio" and then post-5D's is something else, still Yugioh, but a different era. It was also an era that's not nearly as good imo, which further creates the divide i personally have. Zexal was crap (dropped it about 70~ episodes in, still the only Yugioh series i haven't finished) , ARC-V was good in some parts, especially the beginning, but dragged on the Synchro arc way too long and dropped the ball during the final arc, and Vrains was alright in some parts too but was overall pretty average and very unmemorable.
shockzz1234Feb 16, 2020 3:56 PM
Mar 29, 2020 7:16 PM
Dec 2018
Here's one of the reasons people may not like the newer YGO series.

Whenever a new YGO comes out, a new card type is always added the card game. A lot of YGO players don't like it and they tend to hate on the show.

Also I'm one of those people. I don't really like anything past 5D's but XYZ summoning's alright. About pendelum and link summoning, I don't even want to talk about those.

Now that sevens is coming soon, a new card summoning is going to come for sure, and with stuff like pendulum summoning which have me all confused, I'm not really looking foward to my brain being more confused than it already is from trying to understand pendulum summoning while dueling with my friends.

Maybe I'm just being lazy and not trying to understand pendulum or link summoning, but I dont really have much to say about link summoning as I've never really seen it in a duel but pendulum summoning which I have encountered while dueling is too much for me to comprehend, but after writing all of this I guess I'll go over how pendulum and link summoning work and see how that goes. Maybe my opinion will change, idk.
Mar 30, 2020 8:06 PM

Sep 2009
Personally I don't hate on newer series but I do feel the most recent ones have felt more and more formulaic.

The first series was flawed but it was unbound to any sense of formula given that IT MADE THE FORMULA!

That doesn't make it the best of course.
GX told a more consistent story and showed a more consistent demonstation of the rules. But it was overall still flawed and kinda ended on a weird note.

5Ds was the best overall as it featured a darker plot that actually made sense but also it's summoning method allowed for some of the best dueling the series has ever shown off. See the advantage to accell summon was that it allowed almost any combination of cards with the right total number to pull off a desired summon.

So instead of bullshit "heart of the cards" 5Ds focused on actual strategy and using the cards they had on hand to pull off a win even if it wasn't the perfect hand every time. They also used a lot of recovery and decoy cards to stall games until they could pull off a win which is again ACTUAL STRATEGY!

But after 5Ds the series really started to fall into a formula and while some reasons after 5Ds weren't terrible they just felt lacking especially to long time fans as you can see the rails the series has put itself on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2020 2:45 PM

Feb 2013
AlphaOmegaKnight said:

In which parallel universe is a visual abomination like ZeXal better than Duel Monsters?
Apr 5, 2020 1:59 PM
Sep 2015
I had watched Yu Gi Oh -- Duel Monster, and fall so hard for Yami Yugi, Seto, Pegasus, Dartz and others. It is extremely fun and it is my no.1. Then, I started watching Yu Gi Oh GX! And half of the characters are fun, my fav is Chaz, Zain, Crowler, Jaden.. and I had sooo much fun watching this one too, like, the passion Jaden has for dueling always overwhelmed me. Then I started wathcing 5Ds and Zexal at the same time. I noticed that 5Ds is the most serious amongst all the past Yu Gi's. In 5Ds, I like the 2nd season more because of the friendship between Jack, Yusei and Crow, my fav character here is Aki (and I currently watching it), while Zexal, it is cool watching Yuma grow and become better-stronger duelist! He doesn't have to be a badass duelist from the 1st ep like the rest of series. And I am going to start watching the second season of Zexal... (and the rest of series' too).

In short, as a hardcore Yu Gi Oh fan, I appreciate all the series, they are different, some of them has more obstacles, others more fun and lighter events (like GX, the first season). And obviously if someone asked me what is your fav? I will answer with: Yu Gi Oh Duel Monsters.

And I am soooo excited for the new series!!!!
Me-KaiaApr 5, 2020 2:07 PM
Apr 6, 2020 10:26 AM

Aug 2012
I think Battle City is very overrated. The battles with Joey are the shittiest thing, like is it too much to ask for a duel to be decided by the actual game, and not some bullshit that The Winged Dragon of Ra pulls? Legit his duels were decided by: Who is still standing. "Marik, I atta-" *dies* Great timing hahaha Best Yugioh series c':
Apr 6, 2020 11:19 AM
Jun 2019
Im looking at this in a player's pov rather than an anime watcher.

As a player who played on the meta at the later part of the 3rd Gen until b4 they introduced Pendulum, I think it's bcoz the game is much more easier to understand back then than it is now.
(Not to mention, Konami has a bad reputation for quite awhile at this point rather than b4.)

To think they introduced pendulum after creating 2 types of cards that makes the game more faster, The meta get out of hand quickly from there as if the 2 previous gens were not enough indication.

& bcoz of that, they backpedalled by introducing link summoning to control the OP-ness of the previous 3 card types that were introduced & made the rules even more complicated which forces players to adjust to the sudden change of pace they created & most of them even quit bcoz of it.

Not to mention, the nostalgia factor.
These things were sold by some sidewalk vendors around the streets when i was a kid. & now,

Do you even see some yugioh card packs being sold on shops in the mall these days???
I cant even find these in the toys sections of the malls i went anymore.

Tldr: the game was easier to understand back then, but they complicated it that lead to the players on quitting & konami's reputation at this point is adding more problems for this series.
Apr 6, 2020 4:41 PM

Dec 2013
It doesn't matter what your favourite season is, aslong as you believe in The Heart of the Cards
Apr 8, 2020 3:25 AM

Jan 2013
DM's got that original Dragon Ball nostalgia, with the traditional animation and still large modern day fan base backing it. Not to mention the TAS.

I was in elementary school when I used to watch GX, started getting back into it during end of 5D's/ beginning of Zexal. So I have a fair bit of nostalgia for all the iterations in their own way.
Zexal is probably the best yu-gi-oh consistency-wise. Doesn't have the best duels overall, but all the characters have a purposeful arc and there are some pretty breathtaking moments. 5D's is just thematically the coolest, at the very least after DM. GX does a great job at changing the setting and creating a memorable cast of characters, and is probably the most nostalgic for me cause I'd rewatch it as a kid. Not say much for the others yet as I haven't finished them and am still catching up, but Vrains seems pretty coherent and Arc-V has some solid duels but I'm 100+ episodes in and not much seems to happen - cool character designs though, and I'm glad people liked the series despite the
Apr 9, 2020 2:11 AM

Jul 2014
As for me, its not so much of a nostalgia but that after GX they made the whole duel system more complicated adding more weird ass summons and OP effects in the latter parts, YGO and GX stayed with its original concept, with GX just abusing the shit out of fusion monsters, but when 5ds came we get a whole new thing with synchro summons? and bike duel disks which just turned me off.
Another is the MC, YGO, GX and 5ds all had decent protagonists, badass to top but the next ones... not so much, plus I like how GX's MC had the most normal looking hairstyle of em all. Anyways for me its GX>>>YGO>5DS, haven't even tried anything after these 3 cause they kept on adding new shit that isnt necesarry.
May 3, 2020 1:59 PM

Dec 2017
Are you crazy to say that Zexal and vrains are better than the original series ?Because YGO DM is simply the original, though I like some new seasons like Arc V
May 4, 2020 2:53 PM

Jul 2013
I've recently re-read the DM manga and it's a great divide between bullshit asspulls and cool stuffs. It's getting better towards the end of Battle City and the Egypt arc.

GX is exceedingly terrible in the first 120 or so episodes. Yubel kinda saved it towards the end.

5D's is the best in terms of narrative, cinematography, and duel that actually rely on strategy.

Zexal is better than people give it credit for. It's fun to watch with a pretty good production value, but I can't say anything more than that.

Arc-V is a garbage truck that crashed into a dumpster fire and then exploded.

Vrains is like pizza but without any topping. It's plain, dull, and lifeless.

Sevens so far is one of the most shameless and patronizing product placement I've ever seen. "Hey guys, ever heard of rush duel? It's good and fun! wink wink check out our brand new world-shattering duel format wink wink."

5D's > DM > everything else, and it has nothing to do with nostalgia. It's just that most series fell short in one way or another.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Sevens Episode 92 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2022

11 by JVskunkape »»
Mar 28, 12:38 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Sevens Episode 87 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2022

5 by JVskunkape »»
Mar 27, 10:32 PM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Sevens Episode 67 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

6 by JVskunkape »»
Mar 26, 2:06 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Sevens Episode 66 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2021

2 by JVskunkape »»
Mar 26, 1:44 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Sevens Episode 65 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2021

4 by JVskunkape »»
Mar 26, 1:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.