Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Why does everyone think the original YGO was the best but it feels like nostalgia ruined modern anime tbh

Nov 7, 2019 3:10 AM

Why do you like Gen 1 when Konami made better series likes Zexal, 5D'S, Vrains if i may ask?

Nov 13, 2019 1:13 AM
Nostalgia. Most people who watched it when they were kids are in their 20s now.
I personally like 5Ds the best. Then the latter half of the original series is 2nd best. I haven't watched VRains, but i know its good.
I've seen the entirety of Zexal. Its bad. Some parts are really cool but the characters and parts of the story were horrible and annoying.
Just my opinion.

Nov 26, 2019 8:45 AM
Local Bug Furry

I personally don't get it.

DM had a ton of filler and as much as I love the filler it is kinda trash. That and I felt the story dragged a bit.

As an avid fan of Arc-V I can definitely say newer seasons of YGO get alot of unnecessary hate.

Also I like the character designs more in new YGO as opposed to old. The series designs have always been a special kind of stupid but I love how the modern shows use color contrast.

🅗🅐🅡🅓🅔🅡 🅓🅐🅓🅓🅨

Nov 27, 2019 3:18 PM

Alpha_Tranny said:
I personally don't get it.

DM had a ton of filler and as much as I love the filler it is kinda trash. That and I felt the story dragged a bit.

As an avid fan of Arc-V I can definitely say newer seasons of YGO get alot of unnecessary hate.

Also I like the character designs more in new YGO as opposed to old. The series designs have always been a special kind of stupid but I love how the modern shows use color contrast.

Modern anime community are quite hypocritical.Nostalgia. Most people who watched it when they were kids are in their 20s now.

Dec 21, 2019 4:38 PM
AlphaOmegaKnight said:
Why do you like Gen 1 when Konami made better series likes Zexal, 5D'S, Vrains if i may ask?

First TV Tokyo and NAS who decides on the anime’s decisions with the mangaka too
Konami are just selling the card games and the merchandise of the franchise

Anyhow i think people like the original series since it’s basically the original story that started all of that but doesn’t mean that the other series are bad i still like them but i pefer the original anime more ofc even if it wasn’t a great adaptation to the manga but it still dear to my heart

Dec 22, 2019 6:09 AM

Because Battle City is the best story arc in YGO. People just forgot about the rest of DM.
Gluomme said:
please go to hell and stop asking to be my friend

Dec 22, 2019 6:10 AM

The original introduced us to the franchise what it was about and then everything after it start to drift away from it.
Apple Pie ~♪

Dec 22, 2019 9:54 AM
The original manga is better, the anime adaptation is fine, but the filler and changes ruins it. But it have one of the best OST's i ever listened.
Anyway, i think that the problem is that the rest of the series dont have any true relation to the original serie, they just use the card game, but the original history of YGO wasnt just thath and it wasnt either too dependient of it.

Dec 23, 2019 6:35 PM

Zexal better than DM are you crazy?
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers

Dec 26, 2019 5:52 PM
People get stuck in nostalgia. The only ones that were bad were arc-v and sexual. Goofy lazy shows that promoted new cards rather than the original(learning to stand on your own two feet),GX(You can learn and grow from any experience),5Ds(overcoming social status and what people define as fate), and VRAINS(Learning to grow past your scars.)

Dec 26, 2019 6:12 PM

Because it is the best, I love it how dumb it is and how it takes itself so serious.

Dec 27, 2019 4:19 PM

Honestly, I used to think it was the best because like everyone else here I saw it on TV at a young age.
When I decided to watch all of the Yugioh shows, I realized how silly and quickly it becomes repetitive and how it's just mindless duels for the sake of filling time.

Especially Vrains and GX, those for me were definitely the worst ones.
5D's at least had a pretty interesting story (a lot more serious aswell) which was interesting the entire show, Arc-V was good for the first half but quickly dropped after that unfortunately.

Duel Monsters is alright, I shouldn't have rewatched it honestly, the Japanese VA of Yugi is absolutely terrible imo (I'm glad he eventually found his footing around halfway through) and I would have watched it in the English dub if not for 4Kids changing literally all the cards to simplistic versions, making it more friendly for preteens.

Jan 2, 5:10 AM

Honestly the original is not the best to me, good story in the later seasons but other that Pegasus, Yugi, Kaiba, and Joey I don't remember anyone. That's not to say it wasn't good caz it was but 5D's is my favorite it have a good story, characters, and I feel it had the best summoning method but the last season fell off and plot point left unexplored likely Leo and Luna spirit world powers.

Jan 2, 7:59 AM

I feel the same way, Pot of Greed, Graceful Charity, are so disgusting in today's standards. Aren't we glad that Yuma didn't play that crap? LOL

Jan 4, 7:23 AM

Zexal sucked, Vrains sucked, 5Ds was good but nothing is better than Duel Monsters story and character wise, that's why.
Atem and Kaiba are still the GOATs.

Oh, and the new season looks trash, good luck with the "new gen" lmao
Modified by killuaxgon, Jan 4, 7:38 AM

Jan 4, 7:53 AM

Every Yu-gi-oh season have good and bad part. None of them are perfect:

DM: Duelist Kingdom was okay, Batlle City and the Millenial World was good but there a lot of filler arc with pretty bad.
GX: I personal prefer the first part and the character development of Chazz. The final arc however was kinda a mess.
5D: The Dark Singer arc was good, but after that 5D just went bad due to some production trouble. Yusei just a very bland protag. Also why didn't Yusei just use Turbo Warrior to counter Meklord?
Zexal: Zexal actually not as bad as most people said. The first part was bad but it get better later on.
Arc-V; Good at the start, show promising but then it have a huge dip in quality, especially in the final arc. Zarc officail the worst final villain.
V-Rain: It just kinda boring, nothing bad but nothing amazing too. And fuck link monsters.

I just don't like the 7th season art style. Yu-gi-oh was always make heavy use of color contrast and shading, it one of the unique thing about Yu-gi-oh anime. Making it look like other children card game show just take away the uniqueness.

Jan 11, 5:34 AM

Personally the best Yu-Gi-Oh! for me is the original manga, bc there's no fillers and the final arc is how it's supposed to be. I like the anime because it adapts most of the manga, and if I ignore the fillers and some changes it's still my favorite season. Besides, Kaiba is there.

I like GX, 5D's and Arc-V too. I haven't watched Zexal yet, but I tried watching VRAINS and I hated it.

I think it's stupid to assume that just because someone prefers the first series over the others it's because of "nostalgia".

Jan 15, 5:29 AM
5D's was the best one imo, together with the 5D's Tag Force games. It is what introduced me to anime in general. Don't really care for the rest even if I've seen them to the most part, I just never cared to finish them after a point on because YuGiOh is pretty bad in general.

Honestly I think I love 5D's so much mostly because of the characters and ideas found in it.
Modified by removed-user, Jan 18, 9:34 AM

Jan 15, 5:54 AM
Gen 1 is the best though. Most iconic characters, memoral duels and the best ost.