Forum Settings
Forums

Anime sequels that were NOTABLE steps up from the originals

New
Oct 4, 2019 7:00 AM
Feb 2016
Which anime sequels do you think were significantly better than their preceding series, or just qualified as fantastic sequels in general?
Oct 4, 2019 7:08 AM
Jul 2018
-Clannad Afterstory
-AOT S3 Part 2
-Railgun S
Oct 4, 2019 7:09 AM

Jun 2019
I thought Noragami Aragoto retroactively made Noragami a better show. Although it might count as a "long-runner" as it's just a continuation of the manga story.

Also, where the fuck is that season 3? Don't make me read the fucking manga, when chapters are published slower than fucking berserk ones.
D8cbeidnd7dneOct 4, 2019 7:14 AM
Oct 4, 2019 7:10 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Chihayafuru 2
SanGatsu no Lion Season 2
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Season 2
Grisaia no Rakuen
Mob Psycho 100 II
Code Geass R2
ToAru Kagaku no Railgun S
Boku no Hero Academia Season 2
Sword Art Online: Aliciazation
Clannad: After Story

And more...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 4, 2019 7:10 AM
Aug 2015
Symphogear season 1 had a low budget
Oct 4, 2019 7:11 AM

Feb 2019
3-gatsu no lion second season
hibike euphonium second season
assassination classroom second season
Oct 4, 2019 7:25 AM

Dec 2016
In general, sequels/continuations tend to be just of similar quality of their predecessors, I really can't think of a case were the quality increase among seasons was abnormally wide, but the closest case I think it would be Full Metal Panic! to The Second Raid.
Oct 4, 2019 7:34 AM

Jun 2019
Tista said:
I thought Noragami Aragoto retroactively made Noragami a better show. Although it might count as a "long-runner" as it's just a continuation of the manga story.

Also, where the fuck is that season 3? Don't make me read the fucking manga, when chapters are published slower than fucking berserk ones.

I really don't understand why it wouldn't be continued when the last season only ended in 2015 and it seems like enough of a popular/big name, but apparently from what people say Noragami isn't popular in Japan. I have no idea if there's any truth in that and if so, why that would be the case. I would think a series which draws heavily from Japanese religion and mythology would have a natural built-in market.
Oct 4, 2019 7:52 AM

Jun 2016
Mobile suit gundam 00 season 2 and mobile suit gundam iron blooded orphans season 2 were vastly improved over their first seasons and they are the best non UC series I've seen so far.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 4, 2019 7:53 AM

Jun 2019
WatchTillTandava said:
Tista said:

I really don't understand why it wouldn't be continued when the last season only ended in 2015 and it seems like enough of a popular/big name, but apparently from what people say Noragami isn't popular in Japan. I have no idea if there's any truth in that and if so, why that would be the case. I would think a series which draws heavily from Japanese religion and mythology would have a natural built-in market.

Maybe but i heard the author had healthy issues from the past 2 years so therefore he couldn't draw more chapters. Chapters time to time get released but it's like berserk. Nothing to be hyped to since we might wait seveal months for something last chapter did actually hyped us.

Anyway, there's enough chapters for a second season.
Oct 4, 2019 7:56 AM

May 2009
epicyarnboy said:
Symphogear season 1 had a low budget
I didn't know about this, but the story kinda went in odd fits and spurts IMO, while Symphogear G > Symphogear 1 in this regard and I enjoyed it more.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 4, 2019 8:00 AM

Jul 2017
I think the biggest example is 3D Kanojo. I mean, even looking at the MAL scores you can see a big difference
Also for me, DanMachi

WatchTillTandava said:
Tista said:

I don't really think popularity is causing its hinderance. It's not like One Room is the most popular show out there yet that still managed a 2nd season. Plus Noragami's BD sales were pretty good (~4k for S1 and ~2k for S2)
Oct 4, 2019 8:02 AM

Oct 2008
*ef:A Tale of Melodies
*Clannad
*Saiyuki
*Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans
*Shakugan no Shana
*Nurarihyon no Mago
*Zettai Karen children the unlimited Hyoubu Kyousuke
*Ansatsu kyoushitsu
*Rewrite

Not that many, now that I think of it, after checking my Malgraph.
Oct 4, 2019 8:15 AM
Feb 2016
_MushiRock11_ said:
Chihayafuru 2
SanGatsu no Lion Season 2
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Season 2
Grisaia no Rakuen
Mob Psycho 100 II
Code Geass R2
ToAru Kagaku no Railgun S
Sword Art Online: Aliciazation

And more...

Agree with most of these. First half of Alicization has a lot of problems on its own, but even still it was a noteworthy improvement on Fairy Dance from Season 1 and Phantom Bullet from Season 2.
R2 I don’t agree with though. Sure, the ending was better, in that it actually had one and it was a landmark ending, but the rest of the season was significantly weaker than its predecssor imo. Battles lost their strategy in favor of more laser beams asspulls, the tone became more wacky because of its time slot change, and a lot of the revelations felt poorly planned out because they were; the script was thrown out and had to be wholly rewritten.
Oct 4, 2019 8:20 AM

Jan 2015
garbage fsn ubw to fate zero, definitely the biggest letdown in history

Oct 4, 2019 8:23 AM
Feb 2016
BestBoiEren said:

Then that’s the opposite. Fate/Zero is the prequel, and the UBW anime comes after both in canon and 3 years irl. That means it’s a bad sequel and not a significant step-up
Oct 4, 2019 8:24 AM

Oct 2014
cythraul said:
3-gatsu no lion second season
hibike euphonium second season
Yeah, these two, absolutely. (Haven't seen Assassination Classroom so can't comment on that one).

I'll add:

Maria-sama ga Miteru: Haru -- Those graduation episodes, gah!; Sei meeting Shimako (one of my all-time fav anime episodes, period); Shimako meeting Noriko; new first year characters; the awesome conclusion.

Girls und Panzer der Film -- Just more of everything: more imaginative battles, more characters, more fun all-round.

Kyoukai no Kanata Movie 2: Ill Be Here - Mirai-hen -- The first season felt forced while this one explained a lot more and the battles meant more.

Little Busters: Refrain -- Though I found the 1st season to be just as good for other reasons, generally speaking the 2nd season is a lot deeper.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu -- Not just visually and music-wise but this is a dramatic roller-coaster of a sequel that forces serious personal choices on Kyon and fleshes out the other characters considerably.
8oomerOct 5, 2019 9:17 AM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Oct 4, 2019 8:29 AM

Nov 2018
Seven Deadly Sins 2 or 3 upcoming
Oregairu 2
Overlord 2 or 3
Kuroko No Basket 2 or 3
3-Gatsu NO Lion 2
I think all these upcoming were great.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Oct 4, 2019 8:30 AM

Jan 2015
SunlitSonata said:
BestBoiEren said:

Then that’s the opposite. Fate/Zero is the prequel, and the UBW anime comes after both in canon and 3 years irl. That means it’s a bad sequel and not a significant step-up

ah, I misread the title my bad. Thought it was about sequels which were a letdown

also LOL at ppl who mention bnha
Oct 4, 2019 8:32 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
SunlitSonata said:
Agree with most of these. First half of Alicization has a lot of problems on its own, but even still it was a noteworthy improvement on Fairy Dance from Season 1 and Phantom Bullet from Season 2.
R2 I don’t agree with though. Sure, the ending was better, in that it actually had one and it was a landmark ending, but the rest of the season was significantly weaker than its predecssor imo. Battles lost their strategy in favor of more laser beams asspulls, the tone became more wacky because of its time slot change, and a lot of the revelations felt poorly planned out because they were; the script was thrown out and had to be wholly rewritten.

Well, I enjoyed the two seasons roughly about the same but that ending raised a few notches single-handedly I suppose.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 4, 2019 8:32 AM

Jun 2009
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S
Tsubasa: Tokyo Revelations
Rozen Maiden: Träumend
InuYasha: Kanketsu-hen
Mob Psycho 100 II
Gintama°
Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou
Magi: The Kingdom of Magic
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu
Oct 4, 2019 8:43 AM

May 2015
Tista said:
WatchTillTandava said:

Maybe but i heard the author had healthy issues from the past 2 years so therefore he couldn't draw more chapters. Chapters time to time get released but it's like berserk. Nothing to be hyped to since we might wait seveal months for something last chapter did actually hyped us.

Anyway, there's enough chapters for a second season.

Not really. There was a hiatus at some point but it ended a while ago and chapters are released regularly every month now. They are a bit shorter, but I don't see a problem with this as long as the quality is maintained.

Also, from where the story is going I get the feeling that it's probably nearing the end. Maybe it's not the case but I guess it'll make more sense to make a new season that adapts the whole manga instead of dividing the story. Well, we can only hope and wait.

Oct 4, 2019 8:46 AM
Sep 2016
Jojo

I don't want to be that guy but stands were way more fun and creative to watch than hamon. The only notable characters from season 1 was Dio, Joseph and Speedwagon, while part 3 onwards many of the major characters and villains were more memorable in their own way

Anime is Great
Oct 4, 2019 9:31 AM

Oct 2017
Clannad After Story is the obvious one, it's the pay off of the slow character building and typical SoL stuff from the original.

Mob Psycho 100 2 was a big improvement over the first. A lot more character development and plot progression, even better animation.

Takagi-san 2. The characters and their relationship clearly progressed, the pranks and comedy felt at least as good as they did in the first season.

JoJo Part 4, it felt like Araki had learnt from the flaws of the previous parts (particularly the rather dull stand powers of part 3) and managed to make a series that added a lot in terms of story and characters. It still has problems but it has that JoJo feel without being too obnoxious - the right level of bizarre.
Oct 4, 2019 9:37 AM

Jun 2015
RE ZERO will definitely make rezero better
Oct 4, 2019 9:39 AM

Mar 2015
Agreed with Clannad: AS. The first season doesn't even come close, even though I have my fair share of problems with the ending of AS.

Attack on Titan tbh. I mean I did like the first season, but somehow the new seasons just keep getting better. Especially the latest season is just on a whole other level compared to the rest.

And JoJo too. I mean I absolutely adore Phantom Blood, but the subsequent parts are just on another level.

Oct 5, 2019 12:25 AM

Jun 2017
Tista said:

It's because of this, probably. I don't know if you heard about it or not

Also Yama no Susume sequels are better than first season
Oct 5, 2019 2:25 AM
Sep 2018
BestBoiEren said:
SunlitSonata said:

ah, I misread the title my bad. Thought it was about sequels which were a letdown

UBW bad, BNHA good? Shit taste confirmed; -12.6% affinity confirms it.

Joking aside, why do you think BnHA is a better show? Imo it has a worse arcs, worse characters, worse music, and far worse animation
Oct 5, 2019 2:41 AM

Dec 2016
Clannad After Story & Shingeki no Kyojin I'd say?
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Oct 5, 2019 5:48 AM

Jan 2015
Arcus_Deer said:
BestBoiEren said:

Joking aside, why do you think BnHA is a better show? Imo it has a worse arcs, worse characters, worse music, and far worse animation

?????? Where did I EVER say bnha is good? I hate bnha just as much as fate, and I find both series absolute GARBAGE.

also LOL at ppl who mention bnha >> this meant I laugh at people who mention that bnha is good...
Oct 5, 2019 5:49 AM
Sep 2018
BestBoiEren said:
Arcus_Deer said:

?????? Where did I EVER say bnha is good? I hate bnha just as much as fate, and I find both series absolute GARBAGE.

also LOL at ppl who mention bnha >> this meant I laugh at people who mention that bnha is good...

Care to elaborate on why you think that?
Oct 5, 2019 6:03 AM

Jan 2015
Arcus_Deer said:
BestBoiEren said:

Care to elaborate on why you think that?

garbage characters, cringy garbage plot, huge letdown after fate zero, and its just a shitty hentai novel adaptation

most can be said about bnha as well, with shitty characters and plot and the cringe
Oct 5, 2019 6:14 AM
Jul 2018
Black Butler season 2 is considerably better than season wich felt lacking in terms of story and characters wich were overall a let down. Season 2 on the despite having a simplistic and straightforward narrative it felt more like a complete product focus on developing the main characters and giving proper characterization to the new ones.
The same can be said about most sports anime tho in those cases is not really fair to discard the first seasons sense they serve the purpose of building up to future events. That said Free is one of those exeptions where each season has its own story and i think season 2 did a better job at balencing the drama without going overboard like s1 and accentuating on the ligh moments between to.
Oct 5, 2019 6:18 AM
Sep 2018
BestBoiEren said:
garbage characters, cringy garbage plot, huge letdown after fate zero, and its just a shitty hentai novel adaptation

most can be said about bnha as well, with shitty characters and plot and the cringe

Those are both shows that are often lauded for their interesting characters.

You rated both DitF and Mirai Nikki a 10, and those both have far (far, far) worse plots too.

What's cringe about them to you? Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Mineta

Thinking that f/sn is a hentai novel is narrow minded and conceited viewpoint as well; you don't happen to be a middle-aged catholic mom do you? Just because a work has sex doesn't mean it's the focus of the work. This should be especially obvious in this case because even though the source material has sex scenes, the adaptation we're talking about hardly even has fanservice!
St_ArcusOct 5, 2019 6:23 AM
Oct 5, 2019 6:24 AM

Aug 2015
Little Busters Refrain
Slayers Next and Try
Assassination Classroom S2
Mob Psycho 100
March Comes in Like a Lion S2
Nura Rise of the Youkai Clan
Aria
GITS Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
K-On S2
Haikyuu
Black Butler Book of Series
Oct 5, 2019 6:29 AM

Jan 2015
Arcus_Deer said:
BestBoiEren said:

You rated both DitF and Mirai Nikki a 10, and those both have far (far, far) worse plots too.

What's cringe about them to you? Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Mineta

Thinking that f/sn is a hentai novel is narrow minded and conceited viewpoint as well; you don't happen to be a middle-aged catholic mom do you? Just because a work has sex doesn't mean it's the focus of the work. This should be especially obvious in this case because even though the source material has sex scenes, the adaptation we're talking about hardly even has fanservice!

you are wrong, but cool story

the entire show is a huge garbage cringefest, specially the main characters of both shows are extra cringy
Oct 5, 2019 6:35 AM
Sep 2018
BestBoiEren said:
Arcus_Deer said:

the entire show is a huge garbage cringefest, specially the main characters of both shows are extra cringy

Again: care to say why you think that? Maybe expecting an actual conversation was a mistake
Oct 5, 2019 6:36 AM

Jan 2015
Arcus_Deer said:
BestBoiEren said:

Again: care to say why you think that? Maybe expecting an actual conversation was a mistake

Im not here to argue and waste my time, I just wrote my opinion and done. There is nothing to discuss.
Oct 5, 2019 6:39 AM
Sep 2018
BestBoiEren said:
Arcus_Deer said:

Im not here to argue and waste my time, I just wrote my opinion and done. There is nothing to discuss.

I know that's your opinion, I'm just curious as to why you hold that opinion. That's the discussion (which is different from an argument, btw). You don't have any obligation to respond if you don't want to continue the discussion, either.
Oct 5, 2019 6:50 AM

Jan 2015
Arcus_Deer said:
BestBoiEren said:

I know that's your opinion, I'm just curious as to why you hold that opinion. That's the discussion (which is different from an argument, btw). You don't have any obligation to respond if you don't want to continue the discussion, either.

I already told you why tho. But yeah I will end this here
Oct 5, 2019 7:02 AM

Apr 2014
snk,
gonna cop out and say something msg related
Oct 5, 2019 7:04 AM

Jul 2019
I thought that Kuroko no Basket's 3rd season was a huge upgrade compared to the 2 firsts.

The first half does the same things wrong as the other seasons but animation definitively gears up which makes it more enjoyable to watch for sure. Then we have the little backstory which helped me be more engaged in the story and finally we have the 2nd half of the series which again does everything wrong the other seasons do but has even better animation, more build-up with the backstory and everything, and just a really feels good ending with the hype.
Oct 5, 2019 7:11 AM

Sep 2018
Bungou Stray Dogs season 2.

For starters, you have that glorious prequel arc, better comedic timings so that the jokes actually hit this time (significantly more often than season1) and the MC stops having flashbacks to his sad upbringing every 3 seconds. The story and villain are overall better and more focused this time around.

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

114 by vampirismsxc »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

86 by vampirismsxc »»
5 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 20 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

40 by deg »»
12 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

228 by KeyiOs »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.