Forum Settings
Forums

Any manga that you'd like to see animated IF made with changes from source material?

New
Aug 28, 2019 9:19 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Hello! I've been making quite a bit of forum posts, but have never created a new topic myself... until now. I tried to give a bit of thought for a while before starting a thread for myself, so I hope this will be an interesting thread that ends up with thoughtful/fruitful discussion...
So I've noticed that there are endless topics about which manga should or should not be adapted into animation. They're everywhere but fine and all... but I don't think I see that many topics discussing about the process, or details on how people would adapt a manga into anime. The closest thing to a topic that I've seen with discussion like this is this one on "unpopular/forgotten manga".

So I'd like to discuss about something like that thread, but I'm making it something different...
Now, it's no secret that people generally want an anime adaptation to stick to the manga and its plot as closely as possible. I agree with this, but there are times where I don't mind changes between the anime and manga (e.g. Cardcaptor Sakura's Clow Card count was changed from 19 in the manga to 52 in the anime, which I think was a great change because it means we can see more powers and more scenarios with Sakura's capturing adventures).

Sometimes, changes in a story can be good... so here's what I've been thinking about lately: Is there a manga out there that you find good/okay/passable, but would like to see made into anime if you feel that changes need to be made from the source material?

To demonstrate, I'll give an example of my own, a late-childhood favorite of mine: Fairy Idol Kanon.
I genuinely love this short kids manga and I really believe it needs more attention. This is a cute idol story with cute character designs and a plot that literally surprised me with how serious it got. I'd love it if this manga somehow gets an anime adaptation, but I definitely think some changes would have to be made.

So yeah, any manga that you think is okay to be made into anime, but would like to see with interesting changes for the better if it were made into anime? (Sorry if that sounds redundant or confusing)
You can mention specific plot points or characters for the manga you're mentioning if you feel those could be changed in some way, but please use spoiler tags when and if necessary. I might want to take a look at the info or the actual manga myself.
You can also add specific episode ideas if you really want to, too (like if you think there needed to be a new character or arc added or something).

Just give your thoughts on how you'd make changes to a manga some meaningful thought and try not to make it short! I'd love to read what you guys come up with.
Aug 29, 2019 10:30 PM

Dec 2016
nijigahara holograph, maybe, if it was directed in a way which made the plot easier simplified/easier to understand. the butterfly scenes could look real good animated.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 31, 2019 10:30 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
photophobic said:
nijigahara holograph, maybe, if it was directed in a way which made the plot easier simplified/easier to understand. the butterfly scenes could look real good animated.
Hmm interesting, never actually heard about that manga before. I might give that one a shot just from mentioning butterfly scenes alone. I've been finding interest in psychological series nowadays anyway

Oh just remembered another one that I'd consider mentioning in here: Cyber Idol Mink.
This manga's pretty nice in both visuals and concept— especially the visuals. There's even a few panels where it experiments with having like a slide-show kind of thing at the side (so that if you were to put the panels into a GIF, it would look animated) and I really enjoyed seeing that, but I don't think that kind of thing would be able to work in an anime adaptation. It would be neat if a studio included that, that's for sure.
The reason why I mention it in here is cuz the plot is all right, but there could be more going for it. The romance is cute but sometimes the conflicts feel a bit either underwhelming or predictable (not entirely sure on this lol). I also dunno if the fact that this manga has two very distinguishable arcs feels weird or not— an anime adaptation might have to mesh them together somehow instead of having them as two separate arcs in order to be more exciting, since the concept of the whole story feels more utilized in the second arc than in the first.
And maybe it's just me, but I kinda miss we got to see more of Mink's normal civilian self... I like her hair and I feel like we see more of her personality when she's disguised than when she's not. Again that's probably just me
Jan 16, 2020 2:44 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
BrodyJanai said:
Dorohedoro is really good and I would love to see an anime that does it justice and it does have some rough edges that a good anime could polish. But you know how anime adaptations that stray away from the manga end up so I can't say I hope they change it for fear that it will end up like Berserk (2016) or Tokyo Ghoul. In a perfect world a couple changes to Dorohedoro wouldn't be so bad but we don't live in a perfect world.

Hello! Sorry for responding so late but I just remembered about my old first thread here haha

I'm sure you're now aware that Dorohedoro has gotten animated and is airing right now.
Have you seen it? If yes, what do you think of it so far?
Jan 16, 2020 8:39 PM

Aug 2013
I'd love an adaptation of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun where the best boy wins.

photophobic said:

Heh, for me it's the opposite. I'd love to see an arthouse-ish adaptation of it. Akiyuki Shinbo would be perfect for it.
Feb 21, 2020 4:40 AM
Nov 2019
Fario-P said:
Hello! I've been making quite a bit of forum posts, but have never created a new topic myself... until now. I tried to give a bit of thought for a while before starting a thread for myself, so I hope this will be an interesting thread that ends up with thoughtful/fruitful discussion...
So I've noticed that there are endless topics about which manga should or should not be adapted into animation. They're everywhere but fine and all... but I don't think I see that many topics discussing about the process, or details on how people would adapt a manga into anime. The closest thing to a topic that I've seen with discussion like this is this one on "unpopular/forgotten manga".

So I'd like to discuss about something like that thread, but I'm making it something different...
Now, it's no secret that people generally want an anime adaptation to stick to the manga and its plot as closely as possible. I agree with this, but there are times where I don't mind changes between the anime and manga (e.g. Cardcaptor Sakura's Clow Card count was changed from 19 in the manga to 52 in the anime, which I think was a great change because it means we can see more powers and more scenarios with Sakura's capturing adventures).

Sometimes, changes in a story can be good... so here's what I've been thinking about lately: Is there a manga out there that you find good/okay/passable, but would like to see made into anime if you feel that changes need to be made from the source material?

To demonstrate, I'll give an example of my own, a late-childhood favorite of mine: Fairy Idol Kanon.
I genuinely love this short kids manga and I really believe it needs more attention. This is a cute idol story with cute character designs and a plot that literally surprised me with how serious it got. I'd love it if this manga somehow gets an anime adaptation, but I definitely think some changes would have to be made.

So yeah, any manga that you think is okay to be made into anime, but would like to see with interesting changes for the better if it were made into anime? (Sorry if that sounds redundant or confusing)
You can mention specific plot points or characters for the manga you're mentioning if you feel those could be changed in some way, but please use spoiler tags when and if necessary. I might want to take a look at the info or the actual manga myself.
You can also add specific episode ideas if you really want to, too (like if you think there needed to be a new character or arc added or something).

Just give your thoughts on how you'd make changes to a manga some meaningful thought and try not to make it short! I'd love to read what you guys come up with.
This a double-blade sword, i really wanted a adaptation for komi-san but seeing many great manga adapted to being a terrible anime, it doubt
SAO is the most underrated overrated anime
Feb 22, 2020 2:02 AM

Apr 2010
I guess that what you call "fillers". If you feel that they are only out of place, like in Naturo, they should be removed. If you don't feel it damages the continuity of the series. For example, you don't feel in Card Captor Sakura that adding more cards damaged the plot.

Feb 22, 2020 8:27 AM

Jun 2014
MercuryLamp_ said:
The Heart of Thomas maybe, an old manga dating back all the way to the 1970s. Which will never happen, it didn’t even get any sort of adaptation back then. But I don’t mind that at all, I’m just speaking in theory here. Now, these couldn’t really be called changes, rather I’d like to see more expansion and fleshing out of the characters and plot points. I read the manga a few months ago and really liked it, but due to it being so short, numbering at a mere 8 chapters, there wasn’t much expansion or fleshing out going on. Well, the characters were given a lot of attention but a lot of plot points happened very suddenly and were resolved quickly, without the proper response from the characters. Not that much attention was given to their reception of some events and things that would really need a number of chapters to see how the character would process it, were solved in one or two chapters. But don’t get me wrong, I think the manga still did pretty well with the few chapters that it had and the characters were great. Still, I would’ve liked it if things were more fleshed out. The chapters were a bit lengthy too, so that helped. Like I said, an adaptation won’t happen but even then, this manga series is really dear to me. Maybe I’m posting this in the wrong thread, what my post is more of a ‘what I wish I’d seen more of’ thing.

I would also like to see an adaptation of "Heart of Thomas," however I'd like to see the ending changed so that

Mar 5, 2020 6:53 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Sorry for random bump of my old thread outta nowhere guys, but...
I just finished reading Time Stranger Kyoko and I definitely believe it could be great as an anime if it was expanded further.

I totally agree with many people who have read this manga, found it good, but also complained that it wasn't Tanemura's best work or that it was rushed.
It was clearly rushed, I'm gonna guess due to either editor or higher-up meddling (you can tell with like 6 random characters showing up with no characterization at all), though what Tanemura ended up with is actually not bad even if the ending was a little weird imo. There's still a lot of heart and a lot of unrealized potential here, and I could tell that Tanemura really wanted to do more but did the most that she could for the ending.
Even if the panel work could have been a bit better in my opinion, the artwork itself is just so beautiful—three of the illustrations for the chapter splash pages (the ones for chapter 4, with three pictures of Sakataki, Ui, and Kyoko respectively with the Time Clock on the background) are easily some of Tanemura's best. The side commentary for that chapter even stated that she spent 10 hours for each of those three pages (30 hours, oh my god).

Lol I'm not even a huge Arina Tanemura fan (I literally just got Full Moon wo Sagashite last year and I've never read her work before I started reading that) but I'd love to see this manga revisited as an anime but with all the potential it had realized. Tanemura herself even said that she wanted to revisit Time Stranger Kyoko sometime:
Hi, I’m Arina Tanemura, A Freelance Mangaka (Industry Interview)
https://yattatachi.com/arina-tanemura-interview

Are there any projects that you would do differently if given the chance?
"I would like to redraw Time Stranger Kyoko. I didn’t get to draw it the way I wanted to at the very end. In the middle, they were really rushed and I had to quickly finish the story and end it."
I definitely think an expanded anime adaptation is a great way to do it, especially since she's been involved with anime productions like IDOLiSH7 lately.

Sorry for the tag @Chiibi but I know you're a huge Arina Tanemura fan, what do you think? Do you agree with me that Time Stranger Kyoko deserves a re-done anime adaptation or not?
Fario-PMar 5, 2020 7:14 PM
Mar 5, 2020 7:51 PM

Nov 2008
Fario-P said:

Sorry for the tag @Chiibi but I know you're a huge Arina Tanemura fan, what do you think? Do you agree with me that Time Stranger Kyoko deserves a re-done anime adaptation or not?

xD don't be sorry; NEVER be sorry, okay?

OH YES for sure! It just got a tiny short. KYOKO's manga had one major problem; it was canceled so Arina had to wrap it up in just three volumes D: She said 'Kyoko's headstrong personality wasn't popular with the readers' and also 'While working on the series, my mind just wasn't in the right place. I was unable to finish it the way I wanted to'.

^ Both of these reasons were stated at an interview I attended in person several years ago.

Somehow I missed your Idol Mink paragraph but YEAH, I'd love to see that get an anime too! It's so cute!! Very unlikely though. :(

Jul 30, 2020 11:27 AM

Feb 2016
I had hoped the recent Dororo would be such an adaptation, but it didn't do enough to stand out from the manga. I expect the next Tezuka adaptation will be Vampires.

As I think Tokyo Babylon is a worse manga than X, I would welcome an anime that improves upon it. I nominate Shaft for its distinct visuals.
その目だれの目?
Jul 31, 2020 1:55 PM

Aug 2018
Bouken Elektriciteit-tou (Wandering Island)

While not completely on topic as I deem the manga already to be great in its own right, I would love to see it adapted to an anime.

It is the kind of series that could expand beyond the currently available source material. The Mangaka seems to be incredibly slow only releasing chapters here and there. It has been running 10 years and there are only 9 chapters and 2 volumes available. Though I suppose quality over quantity.

I love almost any form of media that has well crafted scenery weather it be Manga, Anime, comics or movies. From the brutal metal labyrinths of Blame to the lush gorgeous plateaus of Yuru Camp. Even if the story is generic or the characters are bland if the scenery is good I can at least find some enjoyment out of it.

Wandering Island has a tropical island location and as I far as I know there are very few shows out there with such a unique setting. Mikura operates a courier service and travels with her cat in a bi-plane to remote islands. Her goal is to try and find this mysterious island that seems to move around according to legend. It is the kind of show that could have a very slow and chill pace and give the viewers a chance to be immersed in the journey and educated on every day island life. While slowly unraveling the mystery of the island she is looking for.

Though the chances of it getting any sort of adaptation is incredibly small. Most likely not enough viewer interest and I imagine making a series would be very expensive.
Oct 24, 2021 11:41 AM

May 2021
Aot. The anime only needs to expand and explore the ending more and it would be really great coz the last chapter was hella rushed which in turn, ended up getting this eternal hate from more than half the fandom.
Feb 25, 2022 10:04 PM
Dec 2017
Imagine if parfume by Kaori Yuki was adapted or Neji as well too i would like to see them expand on the world and lore around them since it was fairly short sadly and both are pretty decent reads imo.

Mar 14, 2022 3:17 PM

Feb 2016
I'm not sure why I didn't remember before, but I'm most interested in such an adaptation of Five Star Stories. I don't really like Five Star Stories, and I would much prefer seeings Nagano's designs and settings in the hands of other writers. Its spiritual predecessor Heavy Metal L-Gaim is my favorite of Tomino's anime.
その目だれの目?
Mar 15, 2022 8:44 AM

Mar 2012
I'd love to see an adaptation of Bloody Monday but with all the fanservice taken out.
Mar 16, 2022 11:13 AM

Mar 2021
It would be cool to see an anime adaptation of Sakamoto Days, but the issue is that the manga is not really structured in a way that makes for perfect-length episodes, so maybe they could take some things out, change them around, or even add stuff in.

Jun 13, 2022 2:44 PM
Dec 2017
I wanna see Life get even more darker and edgier than it is on the manga lol we need a good painful edgy shojo these days so lets make it even more darker.

Jun 13, 2022 9:23 PM

May 2012
Uuhh Life...

No particular series in mind. Since we get adaptions 95%+ of the time to advertise the source material, everything's welcome that is NOT faithful, with its own distinct style. Especially if you've read quite a few manga. I rarely watch adaptions nowadays since no one is taking any risks whatsoever.
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Jun 14, 2022 8:35 AM
Dec 2017
Die would be perfect to expand more into the relationship between the characters as its only pretty short story.

Sep 9, 2022 9:47 AM
Dec 2017
https://myanimelist.net/manga/89148/Skeleton_Sister

Honestly, wanna see this one shot get expanded upon more and be turned into a full series if it does get adapted.

Sep 9, 2022 1:44 PM

Oct 2020
act-age though it remains, and will remain unfinished

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

Sep 23, 2022 6:53 PM
Dec 2017
Blue Flag but on more development on the final part.

Sep 28, 2022 6:06 PM
Dec 2017
Gekkou chou why because

Sep 30, 2022 12:17 PM
Dec 2017
https://myanimelist.net/manga/55111/Chocolate_Underground

Even tho this has an adaptation, i honestly want it to be like a full series like shimoenta as both focus on certain things in prohibition and its up to the mcs to save the day to lift the prohibition lol. Thanks to @Bunille for reccing me this series.

More topics from this board

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

20 by MeanMrMusician »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
1 hour ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

4 by bucciest »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.