Forum Settings
Forums

Let’s be real...we are STUCK with Isekai...so can Japan at least spice it up?!

New
Jul 17, 2019 10:22 AM

Jun 2008
Ok, we all get it...Japs love Isekai...this is clear as day seeing as we get them one after the next each season.

But why do ALL of them have to be the same goddamn fantasy RPG bullshit?!

Why can’t we have them go OTHER settings with different premises other than “saving the world” or just being an Otaku in an RPG?

Ok, how about a “planet of the apes” type premise, where our Protagonist goes to some weird planet where another species dominates humans?

What about a matrix type premise where our protagonist is in another world, only to find out it’s actually a simulation or that robots are in control or whatever.

What about a FUTURE Isekai where it’s all futuristic and our protagonist must adapt to the new technology and possible distopian scenario?

Please, just no more Fantasy RPG!!!

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 17, 2019 10:30 AM
Jul 2013
I believe that the Isekai gimmick will die down eventually. People will get tired of having the same repeated shows over and over with slightly different visuals. Its mostly SAO's fault for becoming so popular and sparking people to write more isekais for hopefully some easy money.
Jul 17, 2019 10:32 AM

May 2015
Youjo Senki basically did that and its probably the only Isekai I actually enjoyed
Jul 17, 2019 10:37 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
i have a novel idea i've been sitting on for a while now

what about a fantasy RPG isekai where the protagonist meets a bunch of attractive women and it becomes a harem ecchi isekai where they go on adventures and beat the shit out of the bad guys and such

Jul 17, 2019 10:39 AM

Apr 2017
Manaban said:

what about a fantasy RPG isekai where the protagonist meets a bunch of attractive women and it becomes a harem ecchi isekai where they go on adventures and beat the shit out of the bad guys and such

yoo wtf I was thinking the same shit, let's do it
Jul 17, 2019 10:40 AM

Jan 2018
Isekai is always easy to binge watch. It's like summoning blue eyes white dragon or dark magician with alternative art. It's fun.
Jul 17, 2019 10:42 AM

Jul 2016
I hope the next isekai trend like hataraku maou sama, yes reverse isekai. Liked that trope and fun to watch.

Jul 17, 2019 10:46 AM

Mar 2015
Pretty much. The Isekai genre basically has infinite possibilities, but they always just go for the same old fantasy rpg shit. And worst of all the community eats that shit up like no tomorrow.
Jul 17, 2019 10:53 AM

Apr 2015
What if we get an isekai about popular animeseries mc transported in to real world and it's actually live action but our mc is the only one animated. I'd actually like that just for mix of medias.
Jul 17, 2019 10:59 AM

Jul 2017
tbf, fantasy rpg actually has a lot of unused potentials, look at Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash for instance. It's just a shame that a majority of isekai series' decide to go down the same pathway, even promising ones like Shield Hero are victims

Manaban said:

bruh that's the most unique idea I think I've heard in my entire time here
Jul 17, 2019 10:59 AM
Feb 2015
konkelo said:
What if we get an isekai about popular animeseries mc transported in to real world and it's actually live action but our mc is the only one animated. I'd actually like that just for mix of medias.

hopefully not like this crap..

https://myanimelist.net/anime/38449/Dimension_High_School?q=dime - real world into Anime.
Jul 17, 2019 11:00 AM

Jan 2013
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku pulled off a pretty good dystopian isekai world.
Jul 17, 2019 11:02 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well at least we got Mushoku Tensei coming up so that’s something. For the most part though it is pretty repetitive for sure
Jul 17, 2019 11:04 AM

Feb 2010
Cause the trend is not 'isekai' the trend is 'rpg-like fantasy', with isekai just being one way to get there. There's also rpg-like fantasy shows almost every season that are not isekai but just set in such a setting.

That's really all there is to it, I think. It's the RPG fantasy stuff that people gobble up, being isekai or not is almost irrelevant. So the isekai aspect is more likely to disappear than the RPG fantasy part.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 17, 2019 11:07 AM

Jan 2015
HaXXspetten said:
Well at least we got Mushoku Tensei coming up so that’s something. For the most part though it is pretty repetitive for sure

its the same harem shit like the rest

Jul 17, 2019 11:09 AM

Dec 2018

Personally, I think having a female MC for once would be interesting to see (at least I don't recall any isekai with a female MC), though it doesn't change much story wise

Maybe a show where the MC gets isekai'd to a parallel dimension where he meets himself XD
Oregairu is life
Jul 17, 2019 11:09 AM

Jun 2019
Completely agree, I love Isekai as it's easy watching but would like to see the idea of travelling to another world used more creatively. More like the way they went with "Reincarnated As a Slime" and less like "Do You Like Your Mom? Her Normal Attack is Two Attacks at Full Power".
Jul 17, 2019 11:16 AM

Jun 2017
Agreed. I am so fed up with these rpg shit isekai. I cant understand why people like the crap over and over again
Jul 17, 2019 11:19 AM

Jul 2017
It's a good age to be the Isekai trash that I am. But yeah they should spice it up and make it better with a few new ideas. I love fantasy RPG style Isekai and all, but how about some Cyberpunk Isekai or some shit. That would be Icing on the cake.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Jul 17, 2019 11:24 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
BestBoiEren said:
HaXXspetten said:

Well that is just factually wrong. There is almost no harem in anime that does the same thing that MT does
Jul 17, 2019 11:31 AM

Jan 2015
HaXXspetten said:
BestBoiEren said:

Well that is just factually wrong. There is almost no harem in anime that does the same thing that MT does

a harem is a harem, and what you described is the worst posisble harem, so doesnt make it any better
Jul 17, 2019 11:40 AM

Apr 2015
calvinz said:
konkelo said:

hopefully not like this crap..

https://myanimelist.net/anime/38449/Dimension_High_School?q=dime - real world into Anime.

Not exactly what I had in mind. More like comedy show related to weird stuff anime fandom does, like our mc trying to understand why people would dress as her/him in con and prob some real life bs that is hard to do when you're used to fantasy rpg set up for example.
Jul 17, 2019 11:58 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
BestBoiEren said:
HaXXspetten said:

a harem is a harem, and what you described is the worst posisble harem, so doesnt make it any better
Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, but saying it's all the same is just wrong
Jul 17, 2019 12:11 PM

Jan 2015
HaXXspetten said:
BestBoiEren said:

Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, but saying it's all the same is just wrong

i mean just because they show him getting married to them all doesnt make it any different, you can very well assume that will happen in all of those open ended harems
Jul 17, 2019 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
Just stay away from seasonal stuff like Death March, Isekai Smartphone, etc. and read/watch the Isekai masterpiece which is Juuni Kokuki. It was released in the 90's and it still remains way better than many recent stuff released nowadays. Re:Zero, Mushoku Tensei and Infinite Dendrogram are also great picks.

Also
>Japs love Isekai
The West loves it too. Nearly all Isekai works get localised over here.
Jul 17, 2019 12:12 PM

Jun 2019
Profesori said:
I would give good money to see an isekai similar to "Inuyasha". Fuck, at this point imma create one myself.

This.

For us Inuyasha fans out there or even for those who aren't or never watched it, you would think by now, almost 20 years after the show premiered, there would be something else which would come along and utilize similar mechanics to tell a story of the same epic scale and scope. I mean, time travel, traveling around a wartorn 16th century Japanese countryside, and a very LOTR-style journey (just replace the One Ring with the Shikon no tama) seem like such a winning formula with broad enough appeal that even a few things could be tweaked and changed a little and you could produce stories with similar gravitas. But it's seemed as dry as the dusty Bone Eater's Well on that front.

It's like for us Inuyasha disciples, no one is interested in creating such a long and fleshed out story with a fully realized world. Maybe every anime is unique in its own way but it really seems like for the success and popularity Inuyasha had both as a manga and anime in its day, there's been nothing quite like it ever since, no substitute, and no real interest in creating one.
Jul 17, 2019 12:13 PM
May 2019
--ALEX-- said:
Ok, we all get it...Japs love Isekai...this is clear as day seeing as we get them one after the next each season.

Why can’t we have them go OTHER settings with different premises other than “saving the world” or just being an Otaku in an RPG?

Ok, how about a “planet of the apes” type premise, where our Protagonist goes to some weird planet where another species dominates humans?

What about a matrix type premise where our protagonist is in another world, only to find out it’s actually a simulation or that robots are in control or whatever.

What about a FUTURE Isekai where it’s all futuristic and our protagonist must adapt to the new technology and possible distopian scenario?

As much as I like isekai I have to agree with you on this. These type of isekai are done to death already. I would also like to see something fresh. They should take inspiration from earlier isekai like Digimons or western isekai like Alice in Wonderland or Wizard of OZ. The only modern isekai that I know that is not like this is The Saga of Tanya the Evil.

But you know how corporations are they don't like to take risks and like to play it safe, until someone decides to take the risk and then they decide to copy it and the cycle repeats again.
Jul 17, 2019 12:13 PM

Sep 2018
People will do what they want to do. It's not your place to tell them what to do. Go become a writer or a director or something and do what you want.
Jul 17, 2019 12:30 PM

Jun 2017
No there is more than 40 shows each season and at best 5 of them are isekai so you should don't care about them if that bothers you and please don't care about their popularity
Jul 17, 2019 12:42 PM
Mar 2018
I don't watch Isekai much ,but reading all these posts made me realize it is very fun and easy to write Isekai...may be.
What about MC goes in the world of death people,these death people are give some missions. They will compete with each other who ever wins has the chance to get reborn.
Jul 17, 2019 12:48 PM

Apr 2019
I dont understand why so much people complain about isekais. A huge number of isekais has been made in the last years, but there are a lot of school romantic comedy too, and CGDCT too, and I dont see anyone complainin that much for those.

I like everything in certain way.

Are you mad with the industry? just because the industry dont do what you want to have to hate isekais? I dont get it.
Jul 17, 2019 12:53 PM
Sep 2016
InTheDatabase said:

Personally, I think having a female MC for once would be interesting to see (at least I don't recall any isekai with a female MC), though it doesn't change much story wise

Maybe a show where the MC gets isekai'd to a parallel dimension where he meets himself XD

The female MC isekai are actually becoming a rather popular trend in Ln and some are getting anime in the near future.
Some are great like "So I'm spider so what?", other are old generic stories but with a woman like "Didn't I said to make my ability average".
Jul 17, 2019 12:57 PM

Oct 2013
Why does everyone complain about the amount of isekai being produced like someones forcing them to watch them all? How hard is it to just pick and choose the ones you want to watch? Or better yet, if you have that big a problem with them,you can just avoid watching them all together.

It's one thing to complain about something you're actually watching,but it's kind of sad if you complain about something you haven't even started.

Yea yea all isekai are the same blah blah blah. More like all recent isekai are the same.
Jul 17, 2019 1:01 PM

Jun 2017
We're getting there, though. I don't know if it is reaching anime yet, but there is some isekai LNs that are getting away from usual RPG-like fantasy setting. Just the other day I saw one where female MC is transported to a VN world where she's supposed to be the main villain who dies in all routes. There's some other ones that are even getting official english releases so I guess it's just a matter of time before they start geting anime adaptations.
Also, not so long ago the trend was those endless magic school harem LNs, so it isn't that much of a stretch to think that something eventually *will* substitute the RPG isekai thing.
Jul 17, 2019 1:02 PM

May 2009
Mirai said:
Pretty much. The Isekai genre basically has infinite possibilities, but they always just go for the same old fantasy rpg shit. And worst of all the community eats that shit up like no tomorrow.
Pullman said:
Cause the trend is not 'isekai' the trend is 'rpg-like fantasy', with isekai just being one way to get there. There's also rpg-like fantasy shows almost every season that are not isekai but just set in such a setting.

That's really all there is to it, I think. It's the RPG fantasy stuff that people gobble up, being isekai or not is almost irrelevant. So the isekai aspect is more likely to disappear than the RPG fantasy part.
SinisterTwister said:
Agreed. I am so fed up with these rpg shit isekai. I cant understand why people like the crap over and over again
I can't really speak for anyone else on this, but as someone who enjoys fantasy adventure stories, including those in RPG-like worlds, every time I run into an isekai premise leading to an RPG fantasy adventure I always feel like the isekai part is a gimmick tacked on. I'd rather they just give me a straight-up, well-fleshed-out fantasy world.

Someone here on MAL recently asked me to check out the first episodes of the current-season shows Arifureta, Maou-sama Retry, and Isekai Cheat Magician. I don't watch seasonals so I knew nothing about these three shows going in, aside from the fact that Isekai Cheat Magician is probably about isekai and about cheating in some way. I think they were kinda expecting me to complain about the "genericness" of the shows, but I actually liked Isekai Cheat Magician the most of the three, even though when I think about it it seems the most "generic". But Arifureta just felt a bit off, probably because it seems centered around dungeon-diving and even displays character stats (which IMO is an abstraction that doesn't make sense in-universe), and Maou-sama Retry is conspicuously gimmicky (albeit still intriguing), while ICM feels most like a "pure" fantasy setting so far, even with magical power-level measuring devices that thankfully don't produce RPG statlines.

Incidentally, after I watched them, I dug through what isekai (or isekai-ish, if you prefer) shows I've actually seen and it turns out I basically haven't seen any straight-up fantasy adventure isekai other than Magic Knight Rayearth (i.e. not counting non-adventure premises like Mondaiji-tachi's "play games with funny rules"), so I'm probably just not burnt out on this story premise or the associated tropes. Sure, I've run into a lot of isekai shows in recent years, but usually I just ignore them if the premise doesn't seem like my cup of tea. On top of this, I like fantasy adventures, which probably comes from me playing a lot of story-heavy fantasy RPGs (and no MMORPGs, incidentally!) in my "formative years".

And yeah, this fad is definitely not just about "isekai" as a premise, but has very much to do with fantasy RPGs. Shows like Lord Marksman and Vanadis, or Yes It's Probably Wrong To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon, Now Stop Asking Already DanMachi, are pretty clearly cut from a similar cloth. One irony is that, given that I don't do MMORPGs and am not a character-building geek or stat monkey even in single-player RPGs, but instead am looking for an epic adventure story sort of thing, a number of these series actually "whiff" on me despite superficially seeming like my thing, because despite having RPG-style fantasy settings, they play to a different set of trope tastes.

(Also, I curse the trend of one-cour series, because they are basically never enough to tell said epic adventure story.)
GlennMagusHarveyJul 17, 2019 1:07 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 17, 2019 1:03 PM

Jul 2016
Meh, it'll stop being profitable eventually. Maybe once the money stops pouring in we might see some new people trying to do exactly that. No one's as tightly controlling about it anymore, we can go in much more experimental directions, or something like that.

I really like it when popular trends start heading into that stage. I think it can produce some of our best pieces of fiction. Just sad that we have to wait for it
Jul 17, 2019 1:04 PM

May 2009
Nick-Knight said:
Just stay away from seasonal stuff like Death March, Isekai Smartphone, etc. and read/watch the Isekai masterpiece which is Juuni Kokuki. It was released in the 90's and it still remains way better than many recent stuff released nowadays. Re:Zero, Mushoku Tensei and Infinite Dendrogram are also great picks.

Also
>Japs love Isekai
The West loves it too. Nearly all Isekai works get localised over here.
The localization industry has usually tended to cast a wider net just in case something might make it big unexpectedly. Why else would the first Fire Emblem thing to get an official English translation be the aborted two-episode Fire Emblem OVA from the 90s, and why else would they dub AKB0048 of all things?
Jul 17, 2019 1:04 PM
Jan 2017
cause people simply like them and they will keep making more as long as they can milk money out of it.
Jul 17, 2019 1:11 PM

Jan 2013
--ALEX-- said:

Alex if you actually did your homework you would know why that's the case.

Anyway, you typing this on mal isn't going to get their attention.
Unless you know Japanese?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 17, 2019 1:14 PM

Aug 2010
isekai is just a sub-genre of fantasy
to the point where there is no real difference between say Goblin Slayer and "insert isekai here" anime

The reason they use classic rpg/jrpg tropes is because its an easy short hand for the average anime fan. Most of us play games so its easy to explain your magic sytems if its something were already familiar with
plus if the person is from a different world, you have the perfect excuse to have characters explain the setting

but since its fantasy, theres free range to go anywhere and youll see that the ones that start to stand out will be the more unique ones. Thats just what happens when things get overdone.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 17, 2019 1:18 PM

Dec 2014
Isekai actually has some rather interesting takes hidden in the sea of mediocre stuff. Reincarnation as a spider, vending machine, sword, hot spring and even Vladimir Putin reincarnating in another world are some of the ones I can remember off the top of my head.
Jul 17, 2019 1:21 PM
Jul 2018
Why churn out something original when you can push the same idea over and over and a shit ton of people will still watch it? Isekai just isn't my thing, so they would have to do something amazing with it for me to touch it.
Jul 17, 2019 1:25 PM
Jul 2018
Just ignore the genre completely or take it slow, like i'm feeling exhausted with endless of school anime so it has become the lowest watch priority for me.
Jul 17, 2019 1:53 PM

May 2009
desusama said:
Isekai actually has some rather interesting takes hidden in the sea of mediocre stuff. Reincarnation as a spider, vending machine, sword, hot spring and even Vladimir Putin reincarnating in another world are some of the ones I can remember off the top of my head.
Nonsense_Effigy said:
Why churn out something original when you can push the same idea over and over and a shit ton of people will still watch it? Isekai just isn't my thing, so they would have to do something amazing with it for me to touch it.
Frankly speaking, stuff like "reincarnation as a spider, vending machine, sword, hot spring and even Vladimir Putin" are just variously gimmicky and don't really fundamentally do anything about the perception of people who aren't fans of it that it's repetitive.

On the other hand, I think there's something to be said about people should look deeper than just the premise and otherwise first impressions in understand what makes each story unique. I don't expect people who aren't even interested in the genre to do this themselves, but I think it's still reasonable to keep in mind that the feeling of "[thing I don't like] is repetitive" is based on superficial information.
Jul 17, 2019 1:54 PM
Dec 2013
Nah, it'll go away like everything else in pop culture. And then come back even worse later on <3
Jul 17, 2019 1:59 PM

Dec 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:
desusama said:
Nonsense_Effigy said:
Frankly speaking, stuff like "reincarnation as a spider, vending machine, sword, hot spring and even Vladimir Putin" are just variously gimmicky and don't really fundamentally do anything about the perception of people who aren't fans of it that it's repetitive.

On the other hand, I think there's something to be said about people should look deeper than just the premise and otherwise first impressions in understand what makes each story unique. I don't expect people who aren't even interested in the genre to do this themselves, but I think it's still reasonable to keep in mind that the feeling of "[thing I don't like] is repetitive" is based on superficial information.

Well what can I say it scratches my levelling up, convoluted RPG mechanic and worldbuilding itch. I can only read the manga though and I still find stuff like That Time I Reincarnated as A Slime, Isekai Smartphone and Re Zero unbearable. As soon as I see it animated I lose interest.
Jul 17, 2019 2:11 PM
Jul 2018
This seems more like a rant thread than a thread inviting people to discuss. But to answer the question: because generic isekai = $$$
Jul 17, 2019 2:13 PM

Jan 2017
These shows are getting old but i i think the genre has so much potential tbh. they can tell all kinds of story but they keep using the same lame tropes. shield hero started well and went downhill fast like the rest.
Jul 17, 2019 2:22 PM

May 2009
Just for personal reference: Are Shield Hero and Goblin Slayer isekai series?
Jul 17, 2019 2:30 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Most recent isekai anime don’t interest me in any way, shape, or form, so I don’t bother to watch them.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Just for personal reference: Are Shield Hero and Goblin Slayer isekai series?

Shield Hero is an isekai, whereas Goblin Slayer is just a fantasy series.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

38 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 28 minutes ago

4 by filjoh »»
14 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

43 by EpicO4 »»
16 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
27 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 31 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.