Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 16, 2019 1:53 AM
Jun 2017
Share your experiences, when did you first start watching his shows and what did you think or feel about all the various different animes and the style he uses? J
Mentos1Sep 14, 2022 9:16 PM
Jul 16, 2019 2:13 AM

May 2018
He's overrated. Don't like his style. Ping pong is the only work from him I like. For director I still prefer Satoshi Kon, Makoto Shinkai and Miyazaki.

Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba and Night is Short Walk On Girl are boring to me.
Papa_ScorchJul 16, 2019 2:21 AM
Jul 16, 2019 2:29 AM

Oct 2013
I really enjoyed Devilman Crybaby,but aside from that I'm not really familiar with his work.

It looks like he's worked on an episode of a few anime I've seen though; Dantalian no Shoka ep 11, Space Dandy ep 3, Samurai Champloo ep 9, Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna ep 12.
Jul 16, 2019 2:29 AM

May 2015
I didn't check the video but I think first you should mention what do you mean about "Yuasa anime", his originals or his adaptations?For example I love Ping Pong the animation and like a lot Tatami Galaxy but much of their merit comes from the original author of the manga and novel. Since I liked Ping Pong I watched Tekkon Kinkreet even tho Yuasa wasn't involved in the latter. While if someone likes Tatami Galaxy I'd recommend Uchouten Kazoku because it comes from the same novelist.

In this regard I'd say that Yuasa does mostly good adaptations and specifically to Ping Pong the anime was even improved compared to the manga by adding more depth to the side characters.
On the other hand his Devilman adaptation was mostly fine but wouldn't place it above the manga itself because the anime missed the villain's main aspect that made it interesting. However I liked its modernization and most of the changes to the main character.

About his originals I love Kaiba because it's an emotion packed anime with a lot of heart.

Still couldn't bring myself to watch Kemonozume.
The one with sirens was cheerful but not interesting nor particularly original.
Still have to finish angel's egg since I stopped 20 minutes in and never been in the mood again to give it another try.

Overall I have a positive experience with anime he was involved in. I like that he adapts some shows that might not fit the mainstream demographic but are mostly up my alley. While I might not be a fan of all his works there none I straight up dislike.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2019 2:33 AM

Jan 2009
i like his simple character design that made his anime have good animation a lot of times

but ye his slow pacing is annoying (besides Tatami Galaxy and Devilman Crybaby but Tatami Galaxy is more about fast and talkative dialogues more if i remember right) and Kaiba damn that show is so slow i dropped it after episode 2

EDIT:

although i rated 3 of his anime very high because the story is great as well as my love for that simple character design that made good animation
degJul 16, 2019 2:36 AM
Jul 16, 2019 2:51 AM
Apr 2017
Yoake tsugeru lu no uta was shite enough to put me off anything even remotely touched by him. Not only was the animation frankly disgusting so far as I'm concerned, the anime overall was just garbage. I tried watching trailers for devilman crybaby and I can barely stand watching a trailer a couple minutes long, let alone an entire series looking like that.

Don't really care either if this makes me "uuhh normie dun't understand different art duuhhrrr", visual arts have to look at least passably decent for me to give it a try, it's not a book or a musical score. Props to whoever can stomach his stuff, I most certainly can't.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jul 16, 2019 4:06 AM

May 2009
It appears I have watched none of his work except maybe one episode of Michiko & Hatchin, though I do plan on watching that and Kick Heart.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 16, 2019 6:57 AM

Jul 2016
I've only seen The Tatami Galaxy and The Night is Short Walk on Girl, but I love them both. Tomihiko Morimi's writing is a big reason why, but I don't think those shows would be nearly as memorable if not for Yuasa's style. They're so good.
Edit: Actually I did try to watch Kemonozume, but I didn't like it.
Jul 16, 2019 7:34 AM

Dec 2018
Very, very portentous man, I assume. He tries so hard to assert his dominance over other directors of the same industry, and somewhat succeeds by making people think he is consummate with his pretentious techniques (such as the vague understanding from many of his works, or some pointless grandiosity that he tries to make it seemingly aesthetic). Though, I don't think he is bad by any means, he is in fact quite talented as an artist. Again, he is just too pretentious and constantly strugles to be in the high-tier by making his style utterly outlandish and amorphous, and sometimes he just misconceives the disparity between surrealism and artistry with blatant attempt of making it as dreamy and weird as possible just to have a sense of uniqueness. Many of his works aren't even good in terms of writing and directing, but as he makes it a bit impenetrable and bizarre, many people instantly take the bait.

I absolutely adore Ping Pong, though I do not fully appreciate the art style. Sometimes I just can't help but think "is it trying too hard?". But other than that, his directing (screenplay, music directing choice, etc.) was just immaculate and sensational. Other works like Kaiba or The Tatami Galaxy are too ostentatious imho, but writing of those is still very good (but yes I have to agree he is not the writer so it's difficult to give him proper praise). And about Cat Soup, I hated it, just absolutely garbage with a stupid story about death and rebirth, human maneuvering, interactions and even manifold more themes that are altogether messy and poorly-executed.
PreacheeJul 16, 2019 11:27 PM
. . .
Jul 16, 2019 8:01 AM

Mar 2017
I hadn't really looked into his series work, but I'm familiar with his feature-length films. Some of them like "Mind Game" and "Night Is Short, Walk On Girl" have a kind of weird, artsy style to them. It's more toned down but still evident in other films like "Welcome to the Space Show" and "Lu Over the Wall".
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jul 16, 2019 8:15 AM

Apr 2019
Well, I really like Tatami Galaxy, but I have to watch more stuff from Yuasa.

But I´m not sure why Yuasa is supposed to be better than others directors like Akiyuki Shinbou or Watanabe.

They all have their own style, its just about that.
GingkoJul 17, 2019 6:52 PM
Jul 16, 2019 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
Ping Pong was great and Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy were good. Kaiba dropped the ball in the second half and dove into mediocrity and Tatami Galaxy was overall too simple and preachy from the outset to engage me thoroughly throughout. I could appreciate it but I don't think it's great. Also the characters hold back in being fleshed out since it's a groundhog day loop. Other than Watashi and maybe Ozu, it feels surface level.
removed-userJul 16, 2019 8:56 AM
Jul 16, 2019 12:17 PM

Jun 2019
Kaiba is in my top ten, fixed at number seven for now.

I'm not familiar with the history of all the different shows he's been involved in, but I did add Ping Pong to my To-Watch list a short while ago and it seems promising and unique for an anime with sports as one of the main genres.

How I feel about Kaiba is as follows: Sometimes you see an anime with a very distinct look and feel that isn't as comparable to others. It's a very singular experience (that doesn't make it high quality or necessarily even good though). Kaiba is one of such anime, which I think would be acknowledged even by those who dislike it.

Many people are repelled by Kaiba at first glance because they don't think they can get properly drawn into a story where the visuals are so alien looking, cartoonish or stylized as opposed to more based in realism. I love the artwork, how he modeled it clearly on Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy of the 1950s and the early quaint, now thought of as kind of juvenile or embryonic stage of anime to tell a story set in the distant future where the planets, history, daily lives, common morals and values and laws are so removed from our own in the present. He tells a story set in one possible future (usually called dystopian, though I don't necessarily see it that way) that explores the boundaries of human existence - body swapping, memory erasing, interplanetary travel, physically entering the minds of others, etc. with a traditional aesthetic from our recent past.

I was so-so on the art style before jumping in too, but it's one of those series you really have to watch in full before you can appreciate what it is trying to say and do, and that very much extends to the animation. Also considering that it's not based on a manga but is instead an original work for television, it was incredibly ambitious. It's a little bit inaccessible because of the nature of the story, the way the story is told, and the art, but that's even more ballsy to do something that you know from the outset is going to be divisive and not necessarily for everyone by its very nature.

Even still, it's not flawless by any means and I have a number of problems with it. A lot of reviewers say they like the first half which focuses on more episodic one-off tales on different planets more than the second half which gets to the main story of the show. I don't think it's one or the other. I like both, but they weren't connected in a way that was always coherent to understand or always made for enjoyable viewing. The main story is the heart of the show so I don't agree with reviewers who said it should have remained more episodic throughout, but the second half is too rushed and muddled. To have both the episodic episodes and the central conflict told well, the series needed to be longer - at least 20 episodes instead of 12.

I also don't think all the characters received proper amount of introduction and so you were left apathetic or puzzled at times when the narrative switched from focus on one storyline and roughly transitioned to another.

Yet still - the possibility of human immortality through mind preservation and limits of the human body, human colonization of other planets in the galaxy and limits of the Earth - these are some of the most important subjects in existence if you really think about it, and when that combines with the art and music of the series, it's a special world. Reminds me of the highly specific worlds created in Yoshitobe ABe's work. They really aren't replicated in any other series and you just have to watch it, because there's nothing else quite like it.

So I'd like to see more anime in the spirit of Kaiba. They don't have to be sci-fi epics that span star systems. They could be about hermit crabs nesting or a blacksmith guild. I just want to see that type of commitment to world-building and fleshing out details, vision, and enthusiasm used to create so many different show-universes.

Jul 16, 2019 12:52 PM

Aug 2010
I've only seen Ping Pong and it was probably the most overrated show the year it aired. Pretty much just a bargain version of PRINCE OF TENNIS with ugly visuals.

And i say that with all seriousness
every character in Ping Pong has an almost identical counterpart in Prince of Tennis and since Prince of Tennis is over 100 eps, it has much more time to flesh these characters out and is more satisfying because of it. Also there are additional interesting characters and themes in prince of tennis and the art is better and matches feel more exciting and overall PoT is better in every way imo
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 16, 2019 1:23 PM

May 2010
Yuasa? Not interested.

I got better things to watch first. I'm rewatching Code Geass for the 3rd time.

Seen nearly 3000 anime - and Kaiba, Ping Pong and Tatami ain't one of them fam.

Did see Devilman crybaby (5/10) and Lu over the Wall (7/10) so I'm unimpressed by what I've seen so far anyway.

Bang average.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 16, 2019 2:03 PM

Jun 2015
I watched Tatami very early on when I didn't know about Yuasa. It took me a few episodes to get used to the style but the 4th ep finally got me quite engaged (Higuchi's song might've been involved). I liked the ending and I still listen to its soundtrack to this date.

I have mixed feelings for some of his other works (his style gets a bit too wacky for my taste at times, particularly when he's not adaptating) but at least all his stuff is worth checking. I only really disliked Crybaby.

Now that he has his own studio he is more active so I'm looking forward to checking this movie which will be available for us later in the year or in early 2020, and the seasonal they have lined up for winter 2020 (Eizouken) and Super Shiro which is a spin-off of Shin-Chan but featuring the dog as MC lol.
Jul 16, 2019 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
Iback then together with Studio 4C they contributed in some of the most unique anime visually. I preferred 4C with their shorts like Sweat Punch and Genius Party and Tweeny Witches. But they lost their edge over the years so the torch went to Yuasa and for the most part he proved worthy.

Though anime fans can be cruel.

Remember how Osamu Kobayashi was treated in episode 4 of Gurren Lagan. He and Yuuasa worked together in some anime too.

They use a stylistically more international approach. Yuasa even has European animators in his studio. I like that he tries to change with every series. Nothing looks the same, unlike other studios

Jul 16, 2019 5:01 PM

Jan 2017
We need more guys like him and less boring directors who copy&paste manga panels with minimal improvements. That's all what i'm gonna say.
Jul 16, 2019 5:23 PM

Dec 2012
I find most of the things he's worked on visually hideous to look at so his stuff is very hard to watch even if something of his does catch my interest which it usually doesn't. About the only things I've completed that he's credited with on this website are Kemonozume which was great and Mind Game which I didn't really like, so 1 hit and 1 miss.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 17, 2019 6:35 PM

Jun 2019
ABlueBird said:
I'll get back to you and everybody else later on. It's late at night and I need to get some sleep.

Take all the time you need. There's no rush. I'd be quite interested to hear what you have to say when you get around to it.

I'm responding to this moreso though because I noticed another comment of yours up above and couldn't not address it:

ABlueBird said:
It was really weird how eating racoons shows your love for them but I guess they'd probably be tasty as a stew or soup

Just wanted to say if you ever get the chance in real life, they're like a mixture between dark turkey meat (and smoked poultry depending upon preparation), lamb, and whatever their diet consisted of. They're rich and succulent right off the bone steamed in a broth with apples or in a gravy over mashed potatoes ("coon gravy"). As they're omnivorous, you should be mindful of their diet and habitat before indulging though and not eat as much of the ones who are co-dependent with humans in suburbs or urban areas eating waste.
Jul 17, 2019 6:39 PM

Dec 2016
Kaiba has been the only one that I found truly interesting and appealing tbh.

Tatami Galaxy couldn't get past episode 4, Devilman C. thought it was just hideous, and I'm sorry, but Ping Pong's artstyle was a big fat turn-off.

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

27 by Maou_heika »»
13 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

224 by JaniSIr »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 9 hours ago

36 by ArpitPatel »»
10 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

31 by Cronosmu »»
14 minutes ago

» Similar sounding Anime opening/ending songs

erikkamirs - May 3, 2020

10 by karsonardoe »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.