Forum Settings
Forums

Would you agree with a reduced ammount of anime per season if it ment time for more episodes. To air and quality animations?

New
Jun 16, 2019 2:38 PM

Feb 2010
We all know that Japan's studios suffer from massive amounts of crunch, underoayed animatora writera etc and a lot of series have been ruined because of that. So if the choice was made to reduce the amount of anime a year Would you be upset with it?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 16, 2019 2:44 PM

Jul 2012
Personally I prefer variety over everything, I'd rather have an optional backlog of a bunch of meh shows to fill time over a few slightly better shows each season.

Episode count is also often more of a feature of limited source material to a point that unless you're giving them like 3-5 years of time to work on the adaptation there won't be a much better stopping point that fits into the seasonal structure.
GamerDLMJun 16, 2019 2:47 PM
Jun 16, 2019 2:52 PM

Oct 2014
If you mean less anime a year by way of eliminating crunch and naturally letting shows be finished when they're good and ready, of course. It's a top down issue where the bottom workers are at the mercy of those above them.

I just want workers to be healthy and paid as responsibly as possible with the money they bring in.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 16, 2019 2:54 PM
Feb 2017
Most anime per season are bad anyways, so I see this as a win win.
Jun 16, 2019 2:54 PM
Jan 2017
Well I don't think animation quality is particularly bad these days and I like to have choices. And most studios only make like 1 or 2 anime in 3 months and most large studios probably have multiple teams working on different anime...

If there was less anime made I feel like a lot of staff would be fired cus they arent working on anything
Jun 16, 2019 2:56 PM

Mar 2018
Hell no if that happened we wouldnt have 5 isekai next season no way dude
poop
Jun 16, 2019 3:05 PM

May 2014
I wouldn't be upset. I don't even watch a quarter of the anime that come out every season, so i'd be fine with reducing the amount of anime being made a year.
Jun 16, 2019 3:07 PM

May 2009
hazarddex said:
Would you agree with a reduced ammount of anime per season if it ment time for more episodes. To air and quality animations?

We all know that Japan's studios suffer from massive amounts of crunch, underoayed animatora writera etc and a lot of series have been ruined because of that. So if the choice was made to reduce the amount of anime a year Would you be upset with it?
Are you writing on a phone or something? Because your grammar and spelling seem shot.

Anyway, I'd love to see more 2-cour series. If I could get more series that are 2 cours or more, I'd take this deal.

Besides:

fancyjasper said:
I wouldn't be upset. I don't even watch a quarter of the anime that come out every season, so i'd be fine with reducing the amount of anime being made a year.
This, too. I don't even watch seasonals anyway, and I'm still already backlogged.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 16, 2019 3:12 PM
Feb 2017
Esquirtit said:

At least one of them has to be good, right?
Jun 16, 2019 3:29 PM

Mar 2018
BlakexEkalb said:
Esquirtit said:

At least one of them has to be good, right?
All of them are potential masterpieces
poop
Jun 16, 2019 4:52 PM

Jul 2017
Would it really improve the quality though? Most studios this season are only doing 1 show already with 2 at max (only TMS is doing 3 I believe) and taking one of said studios Bones, their quality is already pretty good.

Plus like @GamerDLM said, it's nice to have a variety of shows to watch
Jun 17, 2019 2:23 AM

May 2018
It's a complex issue.
I guess the studios don't like this model too. Sometimes it forces them to release halfbaked products but the sales are in decline due to piracy and other market problems.
With lower income per title It seams that the temporary solution is to compensate by producing more and more diverse titles.

Short_Circut said:
Would it really improve the quality though? Most studios this season are only doing 1 show already with 2 at max (only TMS is doing 3 I believe) and taking one of said studios Bones, their quality is already pretty good.

It's not a matter only of how much titles they are working on simultaneously - fewer titles could mean eventually longer production cycles, thus more refined products.

And yes some studios are doing better - like the ones with the more popular titles or the ones having good financial boost in their production committee - for examples the Netflix Original projects.
alshuJun 17, 2019 12:49 PM
Jun 17, 2019 2:53 AM

Sep 2017
It's not something that can be done. The anime industry is not a planned economy. Ideally speaking, the system will allocate resource in such a way that capital investment will have the optimal returns, but not necessarily in a way that optimises the overall quality of a season. The reason why there is a proliferation of low quality shows in the first place is that the capital is looking for a non-competitive niche market which will respond positively to low-cost production. Odome game adaptation is one example.

That being said, even if the industry could limit its production, I don't think it should. Anime is more diverse than it has ever been, and I think it's a good thing, particularly for those who have a non-mainstream taste. I don't think the percentage of unwatchable shows is significantly differently than the 2000s or 1990s.
Jun 17, 2019 2:59 AM
Jan 2012
That's tough. I wanted to say yes because I like animators and if I could give up some of my hobby for their job to be far less stressful then I'm all for that, but then if there's less anime coming out then there's less animators getting work.

I know this is just some question not to be taken completely seriously, but it's still a bit hard to answer either way
Jun 17, 2019 5:40 AM

Feb 2010
GlennMagusHarvey said:
hazarddex said:

Are you writing on a phone or something? Because your grammar and spelling seem shot.

Anyway, I'd love to see more 2-cour series. If I could get more series that are 2 cours or more, I'd take this deal.

Besides:

fancyjasper said:
This, too. I don't even watch seasonals anyway, and I'm still already backlogged.

Yes i am on a Phone sorry not home right now
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 17, 2019 6:00 AM

Mar 2012
Nope because it's not working exactly like math either. More time won't just equate to having better quality. It could be better but the reverse can also apply.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 17, 2019 6:32 AM

Jun 2014
Considering that it's extremely hard for me to find modern Anime that I enjoy, the bigger amount of Anime per season, the better.

The only decent Anime airing right now, that I'm watching are:

- Bakumatsu: Crisis
- Hangyakusei Million Arthur 2nd Season
- Karakuri Circus(running since fall 2018)
- RobiHachi

Fall 2018 had a better variety, but this season has been more limited for me. The only other Spring 2019 Anime that I might try is "Namu Amida Butsu!: Rendai Utena."

Jun 17, 2019 6:34 AM

Oct 2017
Less anime wouldn't fix the industry problems. Less anime would only mean more samey popular anime and less interesting variety. It would be horrible for the industry.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 17, 2019 6:37 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Gee, this certainly doesn't come off as a loaded question in any way whatsoever. /s

I'm going to be the devil's advocate and say no. Lower quality animation has been a general theme since the '60s with TV anime, and this has always been rooted in being budget-saving techniques with crunch only being a direct result of lesser quality than average for anime in extreme cases, like My Sister, My Writer. While there's always a handful of exceptions with legitimately good animation (and not just pretty, frilly filters, but actually good movement) that people are quick to point fingers at, in general animation quality in of itself is lower priority to me with anime specifically than it would be in other fields of animation. I have adapted to this, and compared to what I actually end up liking about it and the things that this medium is capable of providing that are near non-existent in other animation mediums, it's nothing of particular importance anyway.

The quality of writing, on the other hand, can be something I'd consider fantastic, but if I have no interest in the theme or premise of the narrative then it's worthless. I will not care. I will not have a good time. Something can be amazing from a quality standpoint, but if it doesn't interest me I'm probably going to drop it and give it a 3/10 or something because giving it anything higher would be misrepresenting my experience with it. Conversely, if I'm invested or interested in the series and what it tries to achieve, then lesser quality writing is absolutely nothing to deal with in the face of that. I am invested. I want to see what it tries to do. I like the idea of the series, it captures me, it fascinates me. Considering that most things I end up holding dear are things generally accepted via consensus as having 0 worth in a writing department, whereas only a few series generally deemed to have quality writing have managed to capture me in that same vein, I'm going to assume what you mean by this would be a net loss for me.

Les series being made also means less sources being adapted. Less series is less variety, in the case of anime, that's specifically coming from a writing standpoint. Even within the same genre, things aren't going to be copy/pasted over from one anime or another and entirely different takes within the same genre can co-exist. Tate no Yuusha and Re:Zero lay on the exact opposite end of the spectrum from something like Smartphone or Death March, even if they're all fundamentally isekai. Less variety is not good, and variety does exist in this medium in spades currently - so much so that people are able to see 4 shows out of 60 be an isekai in an upcoming season and used that to complain about the over-saturation of a single genre. This is memetic, but it also reinforces my point about how good things are in this department under the current system. The only way it cannot be seen like this is if you're irrational enough to homogenize every work within specific genres as being the exact same due to being in the same genre and think that a tiny, percent of a fraction of the total releases in a season being the same genre is reason to lose your head about market flooding.

Tying into the breadth of options that lay at our fingertips and the general benefits that it brings to a consumer or an audience to have a higher amount of options to choose from, this system is also far more capable of bringing up series that people can fall in love with and come to absolutely adore that they never would've found out about otherwise because of the sheer breadth of things capable of getting an adaptation these days. OreGairu, Re:Zero - series that had 0 hype build up behind them leading up to their release because of the lack of prominence of their source materials. Low recognition series prior to getting their adaptation, that rose up and practically became mainstream viewing. In a system where less anime are produced, stuff like that is less likely to get adapted and therefore never would've gotten the chance to shine like they ended up doing, even if personally I dislike the two primary examples of this.

It's not nearly the bad system people make it out to be, and sentiment against it is rooted in idealization of a system where less sources get an anime adaptation, as we see in this thread's central question presuming that less series getting adapted = better series being adapted, which is only ever going to be functional if popularity and quality are being conflated.

Also, crunch isn't necessarily related to the amount of series being produced. Most studios still produce less than one series per season, and cases like J.C. Staff are notable exceptions rather than the norm, if you ever pay attention to the studios listing on the seasonals tab.
ManabanJun 17, 2019 6:43 AM

Apr 23, 2022 12:32 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Yes like the good old days of the 80s.90s..

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
51 seconds ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

40 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

228 by KeyiOs »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 20 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
8 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 50 minutes ago

3 by NubFix »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.