Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you were surprised got a sequel or remake

New
Jun 14, 2019 4:10 PM

Oct 2013
What are some anime that you were never expecting to get some form of continuation,and were surprised when they did.

Mine were Eureka 7, Durarara!, D.Gray-man, Blue Exorcist, Darker Than Black, and I was really surprised whenever Ikkitousen or Symphogear got another season.
FanofActionJun 14, 2019 9:03 PM
Jun 14, 2019 4:20 PM

Jun 2012
Was surprised for a minute about Boogiepop Never Laughs but then I remembered GITS: Arise, and everything was normal again.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 14, 2019 4:24 PM

Sep 2017
Handshaker... like, why would they make a sequel of Handshaker?
Jun 14, 2019 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
I expected Symphogear to get a S2, but not a S5.
removed-userJun 14, 2019 9:36 PM
Jun 14, 2019 4:25 PM

Jun 2019
If more seasons counts as a sequel, then I'm actually quite surprised Yuru Camp got renewed for a second season. I know it was popular and a commercial hit, but considering its SoL nature, those types of stories are often left to stand on their own at one season.
Jun 14, 2019 4:26 PM

Oct 2013
CHC said:
Handshaker... like, why would they make a sequel of Handshaker?

Riight....I was confused by that one too and I never even watched Handshakers. I think most people would probably want to forget this exists.
Jun 14, 2019 4:29 PM

Oct 2013
WatchTillTandava said:
If more seasons counts as a sequel, then I'm actually quite surprised Yuru Camp got renewed for a second season. I know it was popular and a commercial hit, but considering its SoL nature, those types of stories are often left to stand on their own at one season.

Yes,"Sequel" in this case can mean another season,OVA, or a followup movie.
Jun 14, 2019 4:43 PM

Jul 2017
One Room. Like literally such a niche anime somehow manages to get a whole new season with new characters
Jun 14, 2019 7:33 PM

Aug 2011
Hellsing (remake)
Rozen Maiden (alternate version)
Cardcaptor Sakura (sequel)
Fullmetal Alchemist (remake)
Inuyasha (sequel)
Kino no Tabi (remake)
Chihayafuru (sequel)
Kuroshitsuji (sequel)
Blue Exorcist (sequel)
Sailor Moon (remake)
Fruits Basket (remake)

Many of these were surprising for me because so many years passed between seasons, or between the original and the remake. They just seemed like they were done for good, so it was unexpected when they suddenly popped up again. And not just as a special or something, but as a full season or series. In some cases (Kuroshitsuji, Blue Exorcist, FMA, and Hellsing), their anime adaptations ended with content that was totally different from what happened in their respective manga, so they seemed like they could never really be continued. Kuroshitsuji and Blue Exorcist were continued by basically pretending the non-manga content just never existed, and FMA and Hellsing got full remakes. I'm sure there were people who predicted these things might happen, but I definitely didn't.

And for some reason, I was always surprised whenever more Natsume Yuujinchou was announced. I felt lucky at the time just to get a second season, so I would have never guessed that we would eventually get six seasons, specials, and even a movie.
palm-treeJun 14, 2019 7:37 PM
Jun 14, 2019 7:35 PM

Jan 2017
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Jun 14, 2019 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
palm-tree said:
Hellsing (remake)
Rozen Maiden (alternate version)
Cardcaptor Sakura (sequel)
Fullmetal Alchemist (remake)
Inuyasha (sequel)
Kino no Tabi (remake)
Chihayafuru (sequel)
Kuroshitsuji (sequel)
Blue Exorcist (sequel)
Sailor Moon (remake)
Fruits Basket (remake)

Many of these were surprising for me because so many years passed between seasons, or between the original and the remake. They just seemed like they were done for good, so it was unexpected when they suddenly popped up again. And not just as a special or something, but as a full season or series. In some cases (Kuroshitsuji, Blue Exorcist, FMA, and Hellsing), their anime adaptations ended with content that was totally different from what happened in their respective manga, so they seemed like they could never really be continued. Kuroshitsuji and Blue Exorcist were continued by basically pretending the non-manga content just never existed, and FMA and Hellsing got full remakes. I'm sure there were people who predicted these things might happen, but I definitely didn't.

And for some reason, I was always surprised whenever more Natsume Yuujinchou was announced. I felt lucky at the time just to get a second season, so I would have never guessed that we would eventually get six seasons, specials, and even a movie.
Wow, Natsume was able to do what Community couldn't #sixseasonsandamovie

I wasn't part of the anime scene back then but I'm sure Mushishi season 2 surprised a lot of people after an 8 year gap.
Jun 14, 2019 8:24 PM

Jul 2015
Fruits Basket and Blade of the Immortal.

Jun 14, 2019 8:38 PM

Oct 2014
WatchTillTandava said:
So many SoL anime get sequels, though. It's a super popular genre and Yuru Camp did really well. Its sister series Yama no Susume already aired 3 seasons and might air more (I'm hoping it will air more).

OT: There's some like Classicaloid, Laughing Salesman, Taekwon V, and Etotama that didn't seem like they were that loved on the first season (or movie) but somehow got sequels anyway. I guess they must have been more popular in Japan than they are in the West.

In terms of just purely because of the time difference, I didn't expect Cardcaptor Sakura or Berserk to get sequels or for Fruits Basket or LoGH to get remakes since they aired so long ago. Similarly, I had given up on Hyouka ever getting licensed, but now it is.
Jun 14, 2019 8:52 PM

Jun 2019
palm-tree said:
Inuyasha (sequel)

With Inuyasha I would say you would have to consider two factors:

A) It was extremely popular at its height when it originally aired in 2000 - 2004 in Japan and when it aired at later dates in the U.S. and internationally.

B) It ended abruptly with no actual conclusion to the story because, among other reasons, the manga was still unfinished and so the show outpaced the source material (hence the reason for a lot of the filler episodes people decry in later seasons).

When you think about it though, it had only been five years. The last season had ended in 2004 and it returned in 2009, five years later. Mushishi went off the air for eight years between 2006 and 2014.

This is also the reason why pessimistic fans should never be too eager to go around proclaiming a show will "never" return in its original form unless the creator explicitly states that. With Inuyasha, they needed the interlude for the manga to be finished or it would have just been more years of a lot of filler and angry fans complaining about said filler.
Jun 14, 2019 8:54 PM

Jan 2009
Blade of Immortal and its gonna be a complete anime adaptation they say too
Jun 14, 2019 9:06 PM

Oct 2013
deg said:

Blade of the Immortal looks interesting. I might try the first anime before the remake comes out, just to see if I'd be into it.
Jun 14, 2019 9:08 PM

Jan 2009
Setsuei said:
deg said:

Blade of the Immortal looks interesting. I might try the first anime before the remake comes out, just to see if I'd be into it.

nah do not bother they say the first anime was shit
Jun 14, 2019 9:12 PM

Oct 2013
deg said:
Setsuei said:

nah do not bother they say the first anime was shit

Maybe, but I've heard that about a lot of stuff I've enjoyed. Besides if the remake comes out before I decide to watch the original, I'll probably skip it at that point anyways.
Jun 14, 2019 9:52 PM

Dec 2017
The shorter shows (<12 min) (Kaijuu Girls, One Room, Tesagure, etc.) that performed well in Japan and got a 2nd season.

I know MAL likes to shit on Japan's tastes but it's interesting to see original stuff do well alongside manga/LN adaptations.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Jun 14, 2019 10:57 PM

Aug 2011
WatchTillTandava said:
palm-tree said:
Inuyasha (sequel)

With Inuyasha I would say you would have to consider two factors:

A) It was extremely popular at its height when it originally aired in 2000 - 2004 in Japan and when it aired at later dates in the U.S. and internationally.

B) It ended abruptly with no actual conclusion to the story because, among other reasons, the manga was still unfinished and so the show outpaced the source material (hence the reason for a lot of the filler episodes people decry in later seasons).

When you think about it though, it had only been five years. The last season had ended in 2004 and it returned in 2009, five years later. Mushishi went off the air for eight years between 2006 and 2014.

This is also the reason why pessimistic fans should never be too eager to go around proclaiming a show will "never" return in its original form unless the creator explicitly states that. With Inuyasha, they needed the interlude for the manga to be finished or it would have just been more years of a lot of filler and angry fans complaining about said filler.

You're absolutely right on both counts. Still, it really did catch me by surprise. Somehow, it just "felt" like it wasn't coming back to me. So many series that are ended because they've outpaced their source material are never continued, even when the source material is completed, but Inuyasha was so popular that maybe I should have expected it. I was happy to be wrong, and glad to see the anime series get a real conclusion.

Mushishi slipped my mind! That one was definitely shocking to me. I had long since given up on it ever returning, but I was so excited when it did.
Jun 14, 2019 11:30 PM

Oct 2013
Arnas_Sanra said:
Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch. Second seasons ending was PERFECT and 10 years later out of nowhere sequel appeared... Bruhhh

Agreed. I'm still not sure whether or not I want to watch this. Last time I watched an unnecessary sequel to show I loved it was for Darker Than Black and that didn't end so well.
Jun 14, 2019 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
I was more dissapointed rather than surprised when Nippon Animation picked Beyond Green Gables back in 2009, instead of focusing on a new novel for the World Masterpiece Theater series, especially after Porphy turned to be a good quality series.

They wanted to capitalise on Anne of Green Gables fame, but series proved to be the final nail in the coffin for the wmt reboots and ever since no studio bothered with adapting western children and youth literature to 39-50 episodes again.
Jun 15, 2019 12:35 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Chihayafuru Season 3
Code;Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch
Boogiepop wa Warawnai (2019)
Koukyoushihen Eureka Seven
Fruits Basket
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Hori-san to Miyamura-kun (although this was just an episode)
Mugen no Juunin
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 15, 2019 12:41 AM

Mar 2015
Blue Exorcist since it's sequel came like a million years after the og aired.
Jun 15, 2019 1:02 AM

Jul 2013
D.Gray-man takes the cake for me, probably. There are unexpected sequels, and then there is D.Gray-man Hallow. I think that is safe to say that no one expected a sequel after 8 years since the first anime ended and with the irregular pacing which the manga is published nowadays. I bet not even the fans who were researching constantly the news of a possible continuation expected that. It came so much out of nowhere I couldn't believe the news at first. Too bad Hallow itself ended being a disappointment ;_;

Majimoji Rurumo deserves an special mention, because I couldn't have predicted that a series like that, of all the animes who never were adapted fully, would have a sequel. I'm still processing that it got a continuation, considering how unnoticed the anime got when it was airing.
Jun 15, 2019 1:04 AM

Sep 2018
I don't think anything tops the second series of "I Want You To Make a Disgusted Face and Show Me Your Underwear".

I was sure that would be one season considering how many great shows only get 1 season.
Jun 15, 2019 2:51 AM

Oct 2008
Re:zero
D. Gray-man
Yahari ore no seishun
Chihayafuru
Jun 15, 2019 2:55 AM

Oct 2010
WatchTillTandava said:

A lot of people were predicting a second season based on sales, actually. Compared with other Kirara series, Yuru Camp ended up the second highest in DVD/BD sales per volume, and both the first (K-On!) and the third (GochiUsa) got sequels. It may not always be that linear, but in this case it was quite predictive (also, popular SoL tend to get sequels, except if they are conclusive). Also, if you follow the franchise, news and announcements, etc. you can definitely see that it's not intended to stay as a one hit wonder. There have been tons of merchandise and events and the show's success has been milked to no end.

It took everybody by surprise when they announced not one but three separate sequel projects at once though.
jal90Jun 15, 2019 3:02 AM
Jun 15, 2019 3:11 AM

Jan 2019
Yami Shibai
I still can't believe this anime has six seasons and one more has been announced.
Jun 15, 2019 3:44 AM

Aug 2017
I'm surprised of the recent announcement of the Fourth season of Food Wars
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

9 by Toooooooooohru »»
2 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

14 by Ohayotaku »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

23 by Toooooooooohru »»
18 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

64 by LostSpectre »»
23 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

32 by Dauphine »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.