Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some people have such a problem with low mean scores?

New
May 19, 2019 1:58 PM

Oct 2014
There are some sub communities of the anime fandom who value low mean scores for being more cynical and analytical and for judging anime on a deeper level. It also gives the impression they're willing to watch anime they don't expect to be good and aren't afraid to express themselves if they don't like an anime.

It seems like a lot of people see low mean scores as a weakness as if everyone is using the same rating scale as they are. Some also seem to see it like everyone is picking anime out in the same way as they are and are just enjoying them less.

Is this a faulty way of thinking? Do you think people enjoy anime less if they're more critical of them or is criticizing just another way to enjoy watching anime? Do you see anything wrong with rating low or do you think people should just rate how they feel and do what's best for them?
May 19, 2019 2:00 PM

Aug 2017
In my opinion,

1) Fanboys.

2) Trolls.

3) They have nothing else to do.

I prefer a low mean score instead of this: >8.50
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 19, 2019 2:00 PM

Jul 2016
People have a problem with everything these days.
May 19, 2019 2:03 PM

Jan 2009
like i said on other threads like this im fine if i see a low mean score as long as the "completed" list section he/she has have at least 1000 anime (1000 because its the usual reliable sample size for polls/survey/statistics) since lets face sturgeons law is right that 90% of everything is trash

but if you have like 50-100 anime completed and you have a low mean score already then better get a new entertainment or you are just watching random anime that are not align with your preference anyway
May 19, 2019 2:08 PM

Sep 2014
I guess if you have a mean score of like 4 which means bad IIRC then you label most stuff you see as bad. Then people may wonder why you watch anime in the first place if everything is just bad anyway.

I mean thats not even average. Its literally bad. By nature you usually watch stuff which interests you, so you will probably enjoy it. Even when you have a long list it should therefore be like 6. Its not criticalif you think nearly everything you watch is bad.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 19, 2019 2:51 PM

Dec 2012
These types of people are either:

1. Trolls, duals, or bot accounts with some kind of petty agenda.
2. Completely inept at defining their own taste and bad at choosing things they will like to an almost comical extent
3. Masochists that derive pleasure from suffering through shows they hate.
4. Living with a neurosis like OCD that renders them incapable of leaving things incomplete.
5. Substance abusers who watch lots of crappy things drunk/high for the LOLs
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 19, 2019 3:08 PM

Jul 2017
Because lower mean scores implies that said user isn't enjoying that much anime, given how a majority of people who rate on this site use enjoyment as a primary factor, with objective criticism being secondary.

Taking that into account, people question why exactly do users continue to watch anime if they're barely enjoying anything that they watch. So I don't think it has to do with being weak, but rather not enjoying anything.

But of course there's more to the discussion
May 19, 2019 3:30 PM

Aug 2016
I don't think anyone has a problem with it. People can do whatever they want. Dudes have just pointed out that it's weird.

That on average a person will find anime to be "bad" or "very bad" and they still continue watching anime. Unless I was making money from analyzing and critiquing it, I sure as hell would not be wasting my time like that on something I clearly dislike. Though they will often tell you that "just because I gave it a 3 doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it". Which is nonsensical. I stopped trying to understand just laugh.

Overall just comes off as goofy to me.
May 19, 2019 3:32 PM

May 2009
So what exactly does "low mean score" mean? <8.50 as @Nurguburu mentioned? <7? <5?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 19, 2019 3:36 PM
Nov 2017
Who knows? But, most likely, I'm really sure it's a fanboy, and maybe, just maybe someone made another account and use it to make their favorite anime goes up.

For example, let's say I want gintama to be no.1, so I made an account to give gintama 10 of the 10 but I gave 1 of the 10 for the shows that is higher or can be a treat. I mean, I don't know, I just give score with my enjoyment, and so far I'm not disappointed with anime in general, at least with the one that I already watch.
May 19, 2019 4:10 PM

Jul 2007
I thinks it's more bizarre when people on this site will criticize someone for having a high mean score. I've seen more hate directed towards people who have a mean score above 7.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 19, 2019 4:16 PM

Oct 2008
People are weird, so we should leave them to their own devices.

Personally my mean score might be on the low side as well, however it's because I have changed as an anime watcher. Once upon a time I watched whatever looked good. Than I became a seasonal watcher and now after 13+ years of watching anime I have changed for a 3rd time.

So naturally that change will reveal itself in the scores I give.
May 19, 2019 4:20 PM
Jan 2012
It's because people have a hard time realizing what subjectivity means, and that others can have perspectives that might be alien to them. "Some people watch anime and process it differently than I do, and I think that's weird and dumb" is what they're all basically saying. This applies to both those that question low and high mean scores. Live and let live has never applied to the anime community

EndlessMaria said:
I thinks it's more bizarre when people on this site will criticize someone for having a high mean score. I've seen more hate directed towards people who have a mean score above 7.

It's become somewhat reversed recently, more people are questioning those with low mean scores. It might be in response to all the times when people with higher mean scores were questioned about it
May 19, 2019 4:43 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Iunno, I think I can kind of get it. Being around people who bitch about everything you like is annoying as shit, especially when discussions tend to be innocuous with it. Like, being a group conversation, three people are all happily talking about a subject they all like, whilst the fourth sits there and talks about how awful it is the whole time. That person is kind of going to come off as being harsh and making the conversation needlessly bumpy, especially if they're somebody you don't know very well or even a complete stranger like they'll generally be on this site. They can come off as rude when the setting is being viewed in line with something like that.

And when they're somebody who's got like, a mean score of 2, they're presenting themselves as being the type to bitch about pretty much everything. It makes them come off as being an insufferable type of person through that lens, and the response is to turn around and try to build a worse image around people who are like this, hence, obnoxious threads about these people just existing within this space. They come across as being buzzkills - or even just potential buzzkills - to these other people. It's high school level bullshit, it feels like.

The issue with it is that this is a discussion board, and a public one at that. Dumb group convos about shit you like, among like-minded people, aren't going to be found in the anime fandom at large, and bringing issues like that into more public places like AD is kind of icky. I feel like they would be better off in a specific type of club or a Discord server or something if they're seeking out something like that when coming to this site. People come here for vastly different things and can have pretty much entirely dissonant reasons for sharing this hobby in the first place, and it should all be fair game in an environment like this. People can also use scoring systems in a way that feels weird to others, and not necessarily have too different of a reaction between somebody giving something a 3 and somebody giving the same thing as an 8, but that number being makes all of the difference in the world in how its being perceived and leads to miscommunication. It could be a variety of things, but basically, it's easy to see these people with really low mean scores as buzzkills to what they want to be a good time and so people get cage-y with them.

It's stupid shit, but at the end of the day I'm more likely to side with people's ability to have stupidly low mean scores just on the principle of them being able to have the ability to do so and not face as much pressure for it. It isn't an issue in of itself and shouldn't be treated as such. Whether or not they act like assholes about it is entirely independent of the fact of them having it.

Iunno, I'm just spitballing, I guess, but that's how it feels to be to me and why this is a common topic of discussion. That's at least how I'm making sense of it.
ManabanMay 19, 2019 4:49 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 minutes ago

3 by Daviljoe193 »»
10 seconds ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

37 by Shirayukin »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
9 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 14 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
14 minutes ago

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

9 by DancingTheBa »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.