Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 26, 2019 7:57 PM

Jun 2017
Okay, so based on the ending of the episode, were gonna see Tohru's family, and I'm dreading it, since her family members are all trash....minus the grandfather, the grandfather is bae.

Still a wonderful episode.<3
Apr 26, 2019 8:50 PM

Apr 2014
I think Kagura seems funny and cool. Many can find her annoying yeah no denying that. But I think certain chaos in certain circumstances makes it funny as hell. XD
Apr 26, 2019 9:00 PM

Mar 2016
Yeah... I didn't liked Kagura either.

So, let me get this straight, the family that wasn't interested in taking care of Tooru, now wants her to be with them? Maybe I'm wrong, but... Are you f---ing kidding me?
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 26, 2019 10:50 PM

Apr 2016
That's the cutest pig i ever saw in my life.
Apr 26, 2019 10:58 PM

May 2015
Choke_Me_Zaddy said:
Kagura is so entertaining!L

On the contrary. I am new to this anime so I don't know how her personality and with it my disliking for her will change in the next episodes but her excessively agressive behaviour and the "girl beating up guy for no reason" trope kind of ruined the whole episode for me (and it's not excuse that she is not able to express her feelings for him in other way than beating the shit out of him because she has a "boar" personality). I hope she won't have a lot of appearances in the future episodes.
IshitatesoApr 26, 2019 11:35 PM
Apr 26, 2019 11:06 PM

Mar 2018
ProofByColor said:
Chelle said:
Kagura is probably my least favorite of all the Soumas. I've just never cared for her character at all. *sigh* I guess I'm going to be in the minority.

I'm anime only, but I'm willing to bet I'll feel the same after meeting them all. That character archetype gets old real fast. I only end up feeling bad for Kyou and hating Kagura. Thank god she's gone. And I serious question Tooru's character for saying she want's to be like Kagura.

Also "it's every girls dream to get married" or whatever Tooru said. Please. I can at least accept that as the type of person she is, but it doesn't stop me from rolling my eyes upon reading it.

The dub is better when it comes to that line. Instead it's something about how it's everyone's dream to find a special someone.
Apr 26, 2019 11:40 PM

Jan 2019
Omega-Zero said:
That scene with Yuki and the mail man, it all happened so fast and it was hilarious hahahahahahaha

That low-key Yaoi bait cracked me up xD
Apr 27, 2019 12:49 AM

Feb 2011
I happy to see Kagura in this she voice by one of my favorite VA now I like that even more!

I really like this new version so much!
I love to see more Tooru and Kyo scenes They just so cute!
Apr 27, 2019 2:32 AM

Jun 2017
Is anyone watching the dub?

Man this is a really good one

Kagura is "interesting", i am not bothered at all by her and her "calm" attitude, even though it makes sense from a character perspective

this show continues to be everything that i expect while,at the same time, something completely unexpected

AwesomeAlfie27 likes these first 4 episodes
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Apr 27, 2019 2:34 AM
Apr 2018
Chelle said:
Kagura is probably my least favorite of all the Soumas. I've just never cared for her character at all. *sigh* I guess I'm going to be in the minority.

I agree with you, never liked her and her personality used to annoy me a lot, but I think she brought a light to this episode, it was really funny. I'm hoping to see her character development, as she will become less annoying towards the end. :)
Apr 27, 2019 3:01 AM

Sep 2013
Kagura being adorable, hilarious and tough all at once. I love it!

I definitely appreciate them spending time to introduce her properly to the series and not rushing it. I also felt some nostalgia from the first series this episode, more so than usual.

No matter what, I can see this being such a nice little series all over again, especially now that we're getting into the swing of things.
Apr 27, 2019 3:14 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
Everyone here going on about Kagura, but Yuki's zoom-and-charm was honestly the funniest moment of the series so far for me:

Apr 27, 2019 3:26 AM
Jul 2018
Episode 3 felt rushed but this one's pacing was an improvement! The filler wasn't a problem.

The foreshadowing goes from being overly marked to being satisfying to my manga reader eyes.
Apr 27, 2019 3:27 AM
Jul 2018
Episode 3 felt rushed but this one's pacing was an improvement! The filler wasn't a problem.

The foreshadowing goes from being overly marked to being satisfying to my manga reader eyes.
Apr 27, 2019 9:10 AM
Mar 2019
Chelle said:

I thought I was the only one who didn't like this episode much... I don't like Kagura :(
while I was watching, I couldn't stand her scenes... until she got a little more likable, but still, didn't impress me
Apr 27, 2019 9:12 AM
Jan 2018
SailorVeki said:
Huh, a whole episode dedicated to Kagura, with extra scenes not in the manga? :O Wasn't expecting that. I thought since ep 3 was chapters 4 & 8, ep 4 would be chapters 5 & 9 and then hoped for chapters 6 & 7, before getting to 10+. I don't understand why they would make ep 4 follow only 1 chapter of the manga, do they plan to make 70 episodes (maybe 3 seasons of 25)? They better not start skipping any chapters later. <_< Maybe the mangaka wanted to make some bonding time between Tooru and Kagura and there wasn't enough time left for chapter 9. Well, at least we get chapter 6 in the next episode. And I hope they don't skip chapter 7.

Once again, the Kagura episode was much funnier in the old anime, even though the voice actors are doing a good job here too, the soundtrack plays a really big role. This reboot has a weak soundtrack so far IMO. Makes the enjoyment level much lover for me. The comedy is kinda really weak in this reboot. I liked it how in the old anime comedy and drama were both really good, it was a nice balance. Also, Tooru not having any eyelashes when her eyes are open is really annoying (since everyone else seems to have them).

Haven't read the manga but the "first season " on the OP is kinda confusing on what they plan to do . It's seems like there's going to be more then one or will the 2nd OP have season 2
Apr 27, 2019 9:13 AM
Jan 2018
Just hear to read manga reader's comments
Apr 27, 2019 9:19 AM

Nov 2012
Tooru and Kyo are sooo cute together <3
Apr 27, 2019 9:40 AM

Feb 2019
When they were on the roof .. The atmosfere and felt so great that I wanted to be up there with them great episode...
Apr 27, 2019 10:08 AM

Dec 2014
wow th boar appeared...she seems more scary than the original.... nice so excited
Apr 27, 2019 10:13 AM

Nov 2010
I didn't like this ep as much as some others. I never was fan of Kagura and this ep reminded me why. I didn't get it first time reading the manga.. but she's yandere isn't she..

Best part was Shigure starting to talk about sex (with member of zodiac) and Yuki just shutting him down, let's not go there xd
Apr 27, 2019 11:11 AM

Jul 2014
As much as the show tried to make me like her, I can't stand Kagura at all, as she's absolutely insufferable and just spends the entire episode breaking stuff.
Apr 27, 2019 11:23 AM

Jul 2015
They even got the same voice actress for Kagura. Nice.

Apr 27, 2019 12:18 PM

May 2015
Kagura is just epically annoying.

So basically apart from some heartfelt moment between Tohru and Kyo on the roof and the transformation scene with Yuki saving the day nothing really happened. I feel sorry for all the wasted food and damaged furniture.
Apr 27, 2019 1:09 PM
Aug 2017
So I was really annoyed after this episode and needed to rant somewhere, sorry if this is messy, i was pretty angry.
I never watched the first adaptation or read the manga and I enjoyed the first three episodes and thought i would enjoy the entire series and kagura came along and pretty much ruined it. she beats kyo "when her emotions get out of hand" (this is a dumb excuse, this is abusive), as a child she threatened him to say he would marry her, so now she thinks they will get married, she walks in on him taking a shower (this is just sexual assault), and she constantly hugs him and says how much she loves him and all of that even though he is obviously uncomfortable. she is obsessive and abusive, but the thing that annoys me most of all is that tohru DEFENDS that girl, and says how it's "amazing to have someone who loves you this much" and even yuki and the other guy act like it's somehow kyo's fault that kagura can't control her feeling and act like the young adult she is supposed to be. Also after SHE gets angry at him for not wanting to eat dinner and THROWS him at the floor thus breaking the table and ruining all the food, she acts all sad and gloomy but never even apologizes.
Apr 27, 2019 1:52 PM

May 2010
I still despise Kagura.
Apr 27, 2019 5:08 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Why does it seem a theme that people are up in arms about Tohru's dream to get married? I'm a guy, and that's my biggest dream. I understand that not everyone has the same feelings, but I don't think it makes her shallow nor that it necessarily "dates" her as a character. Yes, her statement as formulated was a sweeping generalization, but I attribute that more to the situation and her youth than intentional blindness. Regardless, I think it's admirable that she dreams of being able to love someone enough to completely commit to them, to be willing to sacrifice some of her desires to make her spouse happy as they concomitantly sacrifice to make her happy. Maybe I'm just a bit peeved, but people happening to align themselves with traditional gender roles isn't inherently sexist. In my opinion, sexism is purposefully suggesting that those roles are the only fit for a person; indirect suggestions are always harder to judge.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Apr 27, 2019 5:13 PM

Jun 2013
Kagura!!! This gave me some early 2000s anime vibe by the way Kagura beat that shit out of Kyo. I remember how violent she was in the early version.

I like how they were still able to retain some semblance of seriousness despite how intense Kagura can be.

I heard this series will focus more on the serious tone of the manga and I'm onboard with that.
臭い-
Apr 27, 2019 6:12 PM

Mar 2008
Kagura a cutie, Rie makes characters great.
Apr 27, 2019 6:14 PM
Apr 2019
Hatsume_mei said:
So I was really annoyed after this episode and needed to rant somewhere, sorry if this is messy, i was pretty angry.
I never watched the first adaptation or read the manga and I enjoyed the first three episodes and thought i would enjoy the entire series and kagura came along and pretty much ruined it. she beats kyo "when her emotions get out of hand" (this is a dumb excuse, this is abusive), as a child she threatened him to say he would marry her, so now she thinks they will get married, she walks in on him taking a shower (this is just sexual assault), and she constantly hugs him and says how much she loves him and all of that even though he is obviously uncomfortable. she is obsessive and abusive, but the thing that annoys me most of all is that tohru DEFENDS that girl, and says how it's "amazing to have someone who loves you this much" and even yuki and the other guy act like it's somehow kyo's fault that kagura can't control her feeling and act like the young adult she is supposed to be. Also after SHE gets angry at him for not wanting to eat dinner and THROWS him at the floor thus breaking the table and ruining all the food, she acts all sad and gloomy but never even apologizes.

She is annoying.

I don't think it necessarily makes up for it, cause there's still factors that are overall uncomfortable and sympathetic towards her character, but she doesn't appear too many more times in the series (2 or 3 more times, I think?) and the last time she has a significant appearance in the manga it is giving background to her character that is pretty harsh towards her overall behavior and motivations for "liking" Kyo.

Apr 27, 2019 8:18 PM

May 2017
Good episode, especially the first 5 min, they were funny af lol

I know Tooru is a sweet girl and full of wholesomeness but its kinda getting repetitive if she's sharing her "wisdom" every damn episode, to the Soumas.
Apr 27, 2019 9:09 PM

Jul 2012
I'm pretty sure most of Kagura's moves were taken from fighting game animations (like that move that knocks Kyon into the TV I believe is from a King of Fighters game).
Apr 27, 2019 9:24 PM

Jul 2015
Well, I wasn't sure what all the hype for Fruits Basket was about, never even heard of it until recently. When I saw it, I thought it would be more romancy, haremy, cuter. I mean it's cute, but this has gone way further down the comedy route than I had imagined. Characters have been way wackier and over the top than I expected, and it's nice. This has been a lot of fun, kind of annoying at times but mostly fun.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 27, 2019 9:59 PM

May 2015
Kagura is very emotional...Kyo always has to be the one that gets beat up. Poor guy...

Two years older than the other Soumas...so Kagura is currently the oldest Souma we've seen so far. I wonder who Kyo's master is. He's probably the Dragon...

"I'd forgive affairs as momentary lapses." WOMAN!

RIGHT THROUGH THE TABLE!

NOW RIGHT THROUGH THE TV! Kagura is expensive!

Boars tend to look pretty ugly...but Boar Kagura is so cute! Single-mindedly running towards goals...I guess the zodiac is more than just the animals...Kugimiya still sounding like Kugimiya after so many years...
Apr 27, 2019 10:05 PM

Apr 2008
gaussian_ said:
Why does it seem a theme that people are up in arms about Tohru's dream to get married? I'm a guy, and that's my biggest dream. I understand that not everyone has the same feelings, but I don't think it makes her shallow nor that it necessarily "dates" her as a character.

If marrying is her greatest dream, I have no problem with this. She is free to do with her life whatever she wants.

If she said 'Marrying is my greatest dream" , I would have said nothing, but she made a sweeping generalization that it is so for every woman.

This makes the story feel dated. I mean in 1998 when the manga started coming out no one would bat an eyelid at such a statement, but now I wonder if she or anyone would say something like this knowing today's world. She probably would have adjust it, for example "Marrying is the greatest dream for some/many girls" or "Many girls dream about marrying", etc.

Other than that popular shoujo stories have different kind of heroines now. Ones that have other goals than marriage (though relationships are still important) like helping people, working as botanists(?), etc. Marriage does no longer appear to be the greatest and only wish of shoujo heroines as it used to, at least not in the most popular shows, which from societal point of view most likely mirrors the wishes of modern girls.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Apr 27, 2019 10:49 PM
Apr 2019
Tarotist said:

Two years older than the other Soumas...so Kagura is currently the oldest Souma we've seen so far.

well, she's two years older than Yuki and Kyo ... so 17 ... Shigure is the oldest we've met so far, he's 26
Apr 28, 2019 2:03 AM
Mar 2015
This episode was great! I love how Honda-san just wants the best for everyone and doesn't let her own feelings get in the way. I've never seen the original Fruits Basket so I'm interested to see what is going to happen now that Grandad's house is done!
Apr 28, 2019 4:47 AM

Oct 2015
Lain666 said:
gaussian_ said:
Why does it seem a theme that people are up in arms about Tohru's dream to get married? I'm a guy, and that's my biggest dream. I understand that not everyone has the same feelings, but I don't think it makes her shallow nor that it necessarily "dates" her as a character.

If marrying is her greatest dream, I have no problem with this. She is free to do with her life whatever she wants.

If she said 'Marrying is my greatest dream" , I would have said nothing, but she made a sweeping generalization that it is so for every woman.

This makes the story feel dated. I mean in 1998 when the manga started coming out no one would bat an eyelid at such a statement, but now I wonder if she or anyone would say something like this knowing today's world. She probably would have adjust it, for example "Marrying is the greatest dream for some/many girls" or "Many girls dream about marrying", etc.

Other than that popular shoujo stories have different kind of heroines now. Ones that have other goals than marriage (though relationships are still important) like helping people, working as botanists(?), etc. Marriage does no longer appear to be the greatest and only wish of shoujo heroines as it used to, at least not in the most popular shows, which from societal point of view most likely mirrors the wishes of modern girls.

I don't know about you but I hear that "Marriage is a woman's dream" line frequently in anime even now. It's hard to get rid of when that's still the prevailing thought in Japan. They don't have much contact with the Western world, you know. Even if you say Shoujo heroines are different now they really aren't because the goal of every Shoujo manga, even the modern ones, has been to get their protagonist wedded to their best match. Granted I don't watch many Shoujo but of the ones I know of I can't think of a single one where this isn't the goal. Japan is a country that values old time traditions above all else. Its still run by arrogant old men on conservative values. And to be honest, America and the UK are the same way too largely. Progressives on twitter aren't representative of the countries.
Apr 28, 2019 5:24 AM

Apr 2008
MoonStar9 said:
Lain666 said:

I don't know about you but I hear that "Marriage is a woman's dream" line frequently in anime even now. It's hard to get rid of when that's still the prevailing thought in Japan. They don't have much contact with the Western world, you know. Even if you say Shoujo heroines are different now they really aren't because the goal of every Shoujo manga, even the modern ones, has been to get their protagonist wedded to their best match. Granted I don't watch many Shoujo but of the ones I know of I can't think of a single one where this isn't the goal. Japan is a country that values old time traditions above all else. Its still run by arrogant old men on conservative values. And to be honest, America and the UK are the same way too largely. Progressives on twitter aren't representative of the countries.

And how my post is denying it that marriage/relationship is not important in modern shoujo? I wrote there that relationships are still important, but they are not as important as their used to be and heroines often have other goals as well now.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Apr 28, 2019 5:58 AM

Dec 2013

Left hand inc.
gg Tooru
Apr 28, 2019 6:37 AM

Oct 2015
Lain666 said:
MoonStar9 said:

And how my post is denying it that marriage/relationship is not important in modern shoujo? I wrote there that relationships are still important, but they are not as important as their used to be and heroines often have other goals as well now.

Just wanted to point out it wasn't so much a Fruits Basket thing as it is a Japan thing, then and now.
Apr 28, 2019 9:35 AM

Mar 2013
Kagura is literally a domestic abuser. It's not funny or cute. Kyo gets constantly victim blamed too and forced to accept this toxicity as normal by everyone around him. He can't even defend himself even at the threat of his own life because "you can't hit a girl".

This arc really does not translate well anymore. I didn't realize back then why I hated her so much, but it's because of this. Not her clingy or annyoungness, her abuse.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 28, 2019 11:42 AM

Feb 2016
Having Rie Kugimiya voice Soma Kagura is perfection.
Apr 28, 2019 12:53 PM

Nov 2015
How did Kagura and her abusive behaviors slip right by me watching Fruits Basket for the first time...? And Tohru endorsing it? "She loves you so much uwu". Yikes.

Interesting to see how they're changing it from the manga. Not too much that it matters, but I will say that both the manga and the older version of the anime were funnier.

This show is obviously dated. Still enjoyable all the same, but it does a feel a bit off at times because of the older mindset it was created with.

Tohru is best girl and no one can take that title from her. I am excited to watch her character unfold as the anime goes on.
Apr 28, 2019 1:24 PM

Feb 2008
People calling Fruits basket dated makin me feel old as fuck, I read the damn manga as it was coming out ;;;

Character development is a thing btw, try not to look at Kagura as a villain.
Apr 28, 2019 2:30 PM

Aug 2017
Well hello there Kagura! She is some explosive girl and I feel sorry for Kyou. I didn't expect it, but Kyou and Tooru had a really nice and quiet moment on the roof together. Kyou is such a sweet guy underneath that cold attitude. Kagura confuses possessiveness/abusiveness with love and has a lot to learn in that aspect. Her zodiac form is adorable though! I also loved how Tooru 'guessed' her true form after she 'hugged' that mail guy and transformed. Shigure's reaction was gold. Can't wait for next week!
Apr 28, 2019 2:31 PM
Jan 2017
My god, I already hate Kagura. Abusive characters are so lame. Poor Cat.

Seeing a lot of people saying stuff like “aw she’s violent but her love is pure!” Ex-fucking-cuse me? The girl needs a therapist/a visit to the psyc ward, and a lesson on how not to be a terrible human being and how to express affection. But it’s okay right, because violent bipolar-like outbursts of assault are fine when it’s a cute girl doing it. ...Right?
Oni_ZokuchouApr 28, 2019 2:50 PM
Apr 28, 2019 2:36 PM
Jan 2017
And wow, Yuki’s really not a likeable character for me. Sucks since he’s supposed to be the main love interest, by the look of it. I’m gonna need some good bloody reasoning as to why he’s such a dick to Kyou on the next couple of episodes, because Kyou being more likeable than him and a better people person really isn’t valid reasoning for how much of an arsehole he is.
Apr 28, 2019 2:42 PM
Jan 2017
nerojeko said:
Oh god Kyo is such a stubborn child, he's so annoying...

Honestly with the non-stop abuse or indifference he’s getting from everyone in the Soma family, can you blame him?
Apr 28, 2019 3:58 PM
Aug 2017
thebond_thecurse said:
Hatsume_mei said:

She is annoying.

I don't think it necessarily makes up for it, cause there's still factors that are overall uncomfortable and sympathetic towards her character, but she doesn't appear too many more times in the series (2 or 3 more times, I think?) and the last time she has a significant appearance in the manga it is giving background to her character that is pretty harsh towards her overall behavior and motivations for "liking" Kyo.

Well that's good to hear, i will probably continue to dislike her but at least she will understand that what she did was awful.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

130 by razornamidablood »»
Apr 22, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

117 by ashura_chan »»
Apr 9, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

217 by bruh98hy89 »»
Mar 29, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

231 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 17, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2019

123 by Jordanrane02 »»
Mar 16, 9:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.