Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 9, 2019 3:01 AM
Jul 2018
While watching anime, we usually feel all sort of emotions, be those positive or negative. I'd like to know what makes you personally tear up the most? Exactly what scenes or situations that are likely to make you more depressed than others or maybe certain characters, certain traits… anything!

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 9, 2019 3:08 AM

Apr 2019
Almost all those drama/romantic anime like 3D Kanojo, I want to eat your pancreas, Mahoutsukai no Yome, the moment from Naruto
... Also, dying moments of my favourite characters are the worse, makes me cry like a little kid when he lost his mama in mall shop.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
forfenixApr 11, 2019 11:34 PM
Apr 9, 2019 3:08 AM

Jul 2009
I don't really cry much...
All I ask is that you introduce me to the caracter I'm supposed to be sad about beforehand.

Don't just pop up random guy with a 5 year old daughter for five seconds before their heads get chopped off and expect me to be sad because "family" or some shit.
Show me this person.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2019 3:09 AM

Feb 2019
I mostly get emotional when I see myself in a charachter... or I've been trough what that charachter is being trough you know.... because I know what he she feels like...
Apr 9, 2019 3:22 AM
Jul 2018
watching Highschool of the dead the girls dying
Apr 9, 2019 3:43 AM
Jul 2018
forfenix said:
Almost all those drama/romantic anime like 3D Kanojo, I want to eat your pancreas, Mahoutsukai no Yome, the moment from Naruto when
... Oh god, dying moments of my favourite characters are the worse, makes me cry like a little kid when he lost his mama in mall shop.

Just why did i have to be reminded of
… let's keep 1 min silence for that too :( now that i think about it, perhaps the death of characters with meaningful and cruel past, influence my emotions the most too

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
LoveLikeBloodApr 11, 2019 4:06 PM
Apr 9, 2019 3:44 AM
Jul 2018
CrashRHCP said:
I don't really cry much...
All I ask is that you introduce me to the caracter I'm supposed to be sad about beforehand.

Don't just pop up random guy with a 5 year old daughter for five seconds before their heads get chopped off and expect me to be sad because "family" or some shit.
Show me this person.

haha you've got a point there, so you mean a certain back story, some relevant details ic ic wouldn't even make sense to start sobbing just because a stranger got his face cut lol true true
Apr 9, 2019 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
Elakir said:
I mostly get emotional when I see myself in a charachter... or I've been trough what that charachter is being trough you know.... because I know what he she feels like...

oh yes, damn, why didn't i think about it earlier, exactly.. the moments when you can relate the most to a character trigger my deep emotions for them
thanks for reminding heh
Apr 9, 2019 3:58 AM

Dec 2015
Most death scenes I just don't seem to care. Cause I don't care about the chars. Actually friendship/loyalty stuff is better and gets almost crying.

Death scenes can be good if you care about the chars and if they show the others related to the dying char. (Not his death is sad actually. But how the others suffer.) Takes a lot more to create a good atmosphere than just your usual flashy shounen action scene where someone gets killed.
Apr 9, 2019 4:02 AM
Jul 2018
Luthandorius said:
Most death scenes I just don't seem to care. Cause I don't care about the chars. Actually friendship/loyalty stuff is better and gets almost crying.

Death scenes can be good if you care about the chars and if they show the others related to the dying char. (Not his death is sad actually. But how the others suffer.) Takes a lot more to create a good atmosphere than just your usual flashy shounen action scene where someone gets killed.

not bad, i like this one heh basically you say the perfect combo would be a deep friendship/loyalty + death of one of those 2, right? i mean death on its own cant possibly make a huge impact, but the suffering of those related, can.

p.s. i had to think directly of some friendship stories that just didn't work out because of different perceptions of life, but deep inside they were befriended, i guess forbidden love applies here as well
Apr 9, 2019 4:10 AM

Dec 2015
Yeah. That is a good combo. Also someone dying for the other person because of friendship/loyalty (while fighting/protecting).

Edit: Also the stuff where the person helps the other one can create very emotional scenes as well if they have to go through hardships and trouble and do stuff they usually would not to or could not do. If it is done well. (Explaining the motivation of the acting chars.)

Or stuff where someoen unintentionally hurts or kills someone they love. Huge dramatic stuff which easily some people might call "forced". But for me: It depends on the execution. If it's good it is good. If it's crap it's crap. If I care about the chars and the atmosphere is good it is okay to to extreme dramatical suffering stuff even if it feels "forced" a bit.
LuthandoriusApr 9, 2019 4:15 AM
Apr 9, 2019 4:22 AM

May 2015
I feel like goodbye scenes are often the biggest tearjerkers, esp at the end of an anime you are really invested into. Maquia: when the promised flower blooms has some perfect examples of it (wont go into any detail tho incase someone hasn't seen it.)
Apr 9, 2019 4:37 AM

Oct 2010
It's not about the event but about the gravity. For example when somebody dies in anime you can either pass it as a random circumstance if it's done badly or not carefully enough, but if it's done well you have that feeling that something changed and will never be the same. You empathize with that feeling of loss and inevitability.
Apr 9, 2019 4:46 AM

Mar 2017
when certain tracks play at the right moment / when MC experiences strong emotions that ignite a change in him/her
Apr 9, 2019 4:49 AM

Apr 2019
When people sacrifice everything just to make the world for their loved ones a better place, then comes the moment when that loved ones realizes that it was all for their sake after its too late.

I.e ,
(Code Geass)
(Naruto)
(NGNL : Zero),
(Angel Beats)
LoveLikeBloodApr 11, 2019 3:52 PM

Apr 9, 2019 5:17 AM

Dec 2017
When a bro character or sensei character dies.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 9, 2019 6:47 AM

Jun 2009
A lot of things are sad, some almost moved me to tears.

Cry, I was really close when it comes to Natsume Yuujinchou third season with the tree youkai.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2019 8:33 AM

Oct 2018
An anime where you really feel like you get to empathize with a character, and that character goes through something sad.
Or just a sad ending where the atmosphere really catches you off-guard.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Apr 9, 2019 12:05 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/DesolatePsyche?status=7&tag=Made+Cry

Primary reasons would be seeing myself or relating to character, growing into character and then empathizing, or just feeling for the character.
Apr 9, 2019 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
Many things did, but watching characters suffer is my main reason, especially when they really grew on me.
Apr 9, 2019 1:18 PM

May 2014
Characters i like dying tends to makes me cry. I wasn't a big fan of the Danganronpa 3 anime, but
Apr 9, 2019 1:25 PM
Jul 2018
when a lot of extras keep dying here and there
Apr 9, 2019 1:28 PM

Jul 2016
My life :(

College :(

Clannad After Story :(
Apr 9, 2019 2:45 PM

Apr 2016
Seeing stupid people post the same shit over and over again.
Seeing stupid people do the same shit over and over again, being too mentally handicapped to actually learn from their mistakes and keep doing their fucked up shit for the rest of their lives.
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Apr 9, 2019 2:48 PM
Oct 2018
I usually don't cry, but when my favorite characters die, that really messes me up. (Light, Lelouch, that hoe I liked but didn't like from clannad)
Apr 9, 2019 2:54 PM

Dec 2008
Outright sad scenes like from Air or Clannad-After Story, bittersweet endings like Aria The Origination ep.13.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Apr 9, 2019 2:56 PM

Apr 2013
When a great series comes to a close after many years of airing, such a bittersweet emotion only one can feel when something they love has ended but in a good way (OG Aikatsu!)

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Apr 9, 2019 3:04 PM
Aug 2014
Cute girls doing cute things.

The kindness of characters towards one another.

When things work out for the good guys.
Apr 9, 2019 3:09 PM

Jun 2016
I think this applies to a lot of people as well, but I am more likely to cry for a character i like than for a character im not that attached to (not saying i never did though)
Other than that.. sometimes i find myself tearing up after seeing sad moments which i can actually relate to but that's about it i guess.
Apr 9, 2019 3:16 PM

Dec 2012
Sad Stuff:
-Character death
-Funerals, because of character's sad and mourning and they remind me of people I know who died
-When characters I was cheering for get rejected, and the one they love chooses someone else

Happy stuff:
-Important characters I liked getting married
-Child birth
-Characters who were "dead" turning out to be alive (assuming it's not an ass pull and makes some sense)
KruszerApr 9, 2019 3:23 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 10, 2019 1:43 PM
Mar 2016
The ending of 5 centimeters per second made me pretty emo ngl. That heart wrenching ending song + the hopelessness of the situation + pity for the desperate male lead :(
Apr 11, 2019 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
Well theoretically something that would make me sad should be something that’s sad, so yea.
Apr 11, 2019 12:29 PM

Jun 2015
Usually when innocent or relatable characters face problems that creates sadness. (?)
E.g. Gon and Kurapika from HxH, Hyakkimaru and Dororo from Dororo, any character from One Piece, etc..

Apr 11, 2019 2:55 PM
Sep 2018
in most cases having to say goodbye to characters that we've come to know and care for, but sometimes i will cry for knowing where the set up is leading to and the impact of said set up can cause me to be quite emotional (violet evergarden ep10)

having an emotional impact is why i prefer a silent voice to your name because the weight of the impact throughout the story and the film kept me from not crying even when the film was reaching a happy ending i couldn't help but cry
Apr 11, 2019 3:01 PM
Jan 2012
Stuff involving fatherhood, like in Clannad After Story. That also includes father figures, like with Jiraiya and Naruto (I'm sure I have a better example, but it's the first that comes to mind with anime).

I don't even know why, I'm not a dad, and my relationship with my dad was fine.
Apr 11, 2019 3:01 PM

Nov 2010
Touching moments like that part in the last episode of RE Zero
Man, that teared me up a bit.
Apr 11, 2019 3:06 PM
Nov 2018
i feel sad for the character when i see r@-- in the anime genre...then i always ask alexa to play fighting gold...
Apr 11, 2019 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
Seeing a character I care about die.

Also seeing someone become broken

General unfairness
Apr 11, 2019 3:34 PM
Oct 2018
Let me just say i dont cry. Not to music, movies or IRL. Im a 6.2 18 Yo man. But i got recomended Your lie in april. And i sobbed like a motherfucker.
Apr 11, 2019 3:37 PM

Aug 2018
I never cry, but the shows that made me feel moved are 2 extremes, people finding salvation or love, and unfairness. Of course, if those things happen to characters that I consider good and that I care enough for them.

Clannad has both. Mob has the first. Mushishi has both. Now and then, here and there has the second. Bokurano both. Tokyo magnitude 8 has both. Katanagatari ahs both. Etc etc.
Apr 11, 2019 3:41 PM

Dec 2012
Usually the topic of lost loved ones, never fails to make me cry. What also hits me is when I can see myself in the character's emotions and struggles...
Apr 11, 2019 3:51 PM
Jul 2018
Anime that made me feel like I've lived a true journey through the characters.

For example, if it's through a true sense of time and development spanning dozens of episodes culminating in a resolute poignant ending that's about family. That gets to me and did get me to cry at episode 48. (Akage no Anne)

It could also be an emotional avalanche that excellently explores many issues that mean a lot to me (bullying,suicide,low self-esteem, parent figure abuse, etc.) along with great development while not leaving a second to spare without feeling rushed. Also, poignant ending. (Happy Birthday)

The emotional climaxes of those anime whether at the end or in the middle caused me to cry.

Two shows have done this and I gave both of them 10s. Not just because of that reaction but all the things that made me feel that way throughout their journies.

House of Small Cubes and Furiko were great but fell short a bit by being too abstract for me to fully engage. I could appreciate the artistic beauty and engage emotionally, but not to the point of emotional poignance. Not enough "down to earth" narrative substance for lack of a better phrase. Also too short for lasting impact after having finished it.

Maquia was also great but one too many time skips and while some of the political additions to the world definitely worked, others fell flat. Poignant ending and about family.
removed-userApr 11, 2019 3:58 PM
Apr 11, 2019 3:54 PM

Jul 2014
Reminder to put all plot details that could be construed as spoilers in spoiler tags
Take care of yourself

Apr 11, 2019 4:01 PM

Mar 2018
two moments specifically!
theres a moment in f/sn unlimited blade works where
and i broke down crying for 10+ minutes, unable to do anything, because i realized that shirou was the first character ive ever related to. thats one scene that, no matter how many times ive seen it, i still cry.
the second one isnt a moment in particular? but for the last 40-50min of fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, i couldnt stop crying. at least two full episodes of just straight up tears. it was incredible
Apr 11, 2019 10:19 PM
May 2017
Only two things have made me cry in anime:

Emotional character development scenes in a character I really relate to, like Mob from Mob Psycho 100.

The other is when I see dogs mistreated/hurt. I love dogs way more than I care about the casts of some entire shows, and I can't stand it when they aren't 100% happy. The constant dog pain in Jojo's is about one of the only things that I don't like about it.
Apr 11, 2019 10:59 PM

May 2013
Digital_Shiroi said:
When people sacrifice everything just to make the world for their loved ones a better place, then comes the moment when that loved ones realizes that it was all for their sake after its too late.

I.e ,
(Code Geass)
(Naruto)
(Angel Beats)

The epitome for me is this

Apr 11, 2019 11:07 PM

Apr 2019
Lincompoop said:
Digital_Shiroi said:

I.e ,
(Code Geass)
(Naruto)
(Angel Beats)

The epitome for me is this

OH MY LORD WHY DID I FORGOT ABOUT THAT.

Apr 11, 2019 11:12 PM
Apr 2017
A buddy of mine recently committed suicide and Mob Psycho was a favorite of his. Some of the episodes in that show hit really close to home so it was quite the trip watching through that show
Apr 13, 2019 11:46 AM

Feb 2019
I almost never cry, but the ending of Ansatsu Kyoshitsu (Assassination Classroom)got me really hard,
Apr 13, 2019 5:28 PM

May 2016
Only time I get emotional towards anime if I'm invested heavily into the characters or settings, other than that it's mostly neutral towards everything

Examples like:
Clannad
Gurren Lagann
Assassination classroom s2
Your lie in april
Steins;Gate
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

37 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 7 minutes ago

0 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

22 by Eziprez »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 43 minutes ago

8 by deg »»
14 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 37 minutes ago

2 by alshu »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.