Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2019 8:55 PM
Feb 2015
Evangelion and FLCL really give my noggin a joggin.
KrystopherApr 3, 2019 11:40 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2019 8:58 PM

Oct 2010
Stuff like shinsekai yori or arjuna. They question morality and other stuff.
Apr 3, 2019 12:00 AM

May 2018
The popularity of stuff like 3-gatsu no Lion, Koe no Katachi and Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai provokes some [angry] thoughts in me.
I can't wrap my head around why people enjoy superficial tearjerkers that much?

Prasing Evangelion so high also looks baffling to me.
alshuApr 3, 2019 12:11 AM
Apr 3, 2019 12:06 AM
Nov 2018
Oregairu have me new questions about modern day society and how it can improved. It's one of the most "realistic" anime out there definitely
Apr 3, 2019 12:08 AM

Aug 2013
alshu said:
The popularity of stuff like 3-gatsu no Lion, Koe no Katachi and Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai provoke some [angry] thoughts in me.

Why 3-gatsu? The only arc which was kinda over the top was the bullying arc. The rest of the anime is pretty normal and doesn't really have that much drama.
Apr 3, 2019 12:13 AM
Jul 2017
Oregairu
FMAB
Cowboy Bebop
Parasyte
Tokyo ghoul (initial phases)
NGE
Death Note
Berserk
Detroit Metal City
Monster
And shockingly School Days.

Well it depends mostly on how many thoughts CAN YOU actually provoke.
RyuzenIchinoseApr 3, 2019 3:58 AM
"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Act like it."
"Why don't you eat make up? Then you can be beautiful on the inside too."
"'Sick'? Call me 'twisted'. 'Sick' makes it sound like there's a cure."
"What's messed up isn't my thinking, what's messed up is this god damn world."
"The world isn't perfect, but its out there doing the best it can for us. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
Apr 3, 2019 12:13 AM

Jul 2016
Nobody has said Serial Experiments Lain yet, so I will say it.

Serial Experiments Lain, the most thought provoking Anime I have ever seen. It kept me guessing until it's finale, and even then, it did not hold my hand. I had to check out some analysis videos and read up on explanations to understand some episodes.

Also, Kaiba.
Apr 3, 2019 12:15 AM

May 2018
Satyr_icon said:

Why 3-gatsu?

I don't know, this is why I am baffled - never touched the stuff.
People just keep repeating "This is sooo saaad and feels so goood.".
Apr 3, 2019 12:26 AM

Mar 2019
I still do not understand how people say that FLCL is thought provoking. It is stupid.
Apr 3, 2019 12:45 AM

May 2018
@Zerxeez_
"I still do not understand how people say that FLCL is thought provoking. It is stupid."
Maybe but it's fun.
Apr 3, 2019 1:21 AM

May 2018
avdx101 said:

I actually liked even that arc. It touches a difficult subject but it also shows a reasonable conclusion, with the problem getting solved in a realistic, civilized way, showing the bad but also the good (incompetent but also competent teachers). It still showed the effects of bullying while it didn't go full tearjerker mode, with no end in sight and the world is a bad place and you should just die.

Naaah, you guys are liking it because it's sad...also I suspect that the other arcs are depressing too...just your senses are numbed by watching to much tragedy.
Only the strongest and overly dramatic scenes can make you feel something, like anything
Apr 3, 2019 1:25 AM

Nov 2011
Krystopher said:
Evangelion and FLCL really give my noggin and joggin.

Evangelion is only symbolism fest and FLCL is just a damn fun with high tempo show..
Your examples turned me off lol ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Apr 3, 2019 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
alshu said:
avdx101 said:

I actually liked even that arc. It touches a difficult subject but it also shows a reasonable conclusion, with the problem getting solved in a realistic, civilized way, showing the bad but also the good (incompetent but also competent teachers). It still showed the effects of bullying while it didn't go full tearjerker mode, with no end in sight and the world is a bad place and you should just die.

Naaah, you guys are liking it because it's sad...also I suspect that the other arcs are depressing too...just your senses are numbed by watching to much tragedy.
Only the strongest and overly dramatic scenes can make you feel something, like anything

@alshu

Haven't watched the second season of sangatsu (I heard it was excellent) but are there any emotional anime that actually made you emotional? Or is it all bullshit and pandering to sensitive people?
Apr 3, 2019 1:42 AM

Feb 2016
The most thought provoking anime that I've actually seen would be Paranoia Agent
Apr 3, 2019 1:49 AM

May 2018
HungryForQuality said:

Haven't watched the second season of sangatsu (I heard it was excellent) but are there any emotional anime that actually made you emotional? Or is it all bullshit and pandering to sensitive people?

- Liked Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu but it's drama is balanced by other stuff also people don't praise it all the time how sad and depressing is.
- My point is exactly the opposite, you should be a bit insensible to enjoy tearjerkers.
alshuApr 3, 2019 1:56 AM
Apr 3, 2019 1:53 AM
Sep 2018
Shiki, Psycho Pass, Parasyte, Berserk (i think).
Apr 3, 2019 1:55 AM

May 2018
avdx101 said:
A true definition of slice of life.

SOL is a storytelling format, it could have any content.

avdx101 said:
Also, the story of that bald shogi player with his pigeons, the old man and his friends, the grandpa that wants to live to see his granddaughters well, all these felt very real and touching, without any melodrama.

I don't know the specifics.
People constantly praise it for being sad and giving them THE FEELS...maybe they watched only the first few arcs or something.
Apr 3, 2019 1:58 AM

Aug 2017
Shokugeki no Soma as it makes me more critical and aware of food. I'm half joking but half serious.
Apr 3, 2019 2:04 AM
May 2016
every time i finish a good cute girls doing cute things anime i ponder why i continue living
Apr 3, 2019 2:18 AM

Feb 2018
Saiki Kusuo no psi nan made me ponder the existence of a goddess.
Apr 3, 2019 2:33 AM
Aug 2017
Definitely Oregairu, Death note and Fmab
Apr 3, 2019 2:35 AM

May 2018
avdx101 said:
You didn't watch the show because you thought it is a superficial tearjerker

If it wasn't a tearjerker people wouldn't like it that much.

avdx101 said:
but you have to let others know how bad

I said it's bad?
Naaah, people adore superficiality - just look at MAL's top 100.

avdx101 said:
it is from your opinion made by selectively reading some random superficial comments.

It's not selectively tho, try reading any comments for this show.

You are pretty good yourself - trying defending an anime when I just joked about it's fans.
So fast to change the subject.
Apr 3, 2019 3:00 AM
Sep 2017
It depends upon person to person, you might not find anything thought provoking, I may even find Pokémon thought provoking, there's no definite list as to what can provoke thought.

Pylia said:
Shitcom is the thought evoking anime number one.

I unironically agree with this, many thoughts were provoked as to what was the need of such brilliance.
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Apr 3, 2019 3:01 AM
Feb 2019
I Would Say Noaki Urusawa's Monster
Apr 3, 2019 3:04 AM

Mar 2018
In terms of time spent thinking about what it presented me with, probably Bleach. That's not to say that it's a good show.
Out of the shows that I think ARE good, probably Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita or Hyouka.
Apr 3, 2019 3:18 AM

May 2018
avdx101 said:

Yes, because all people are superficial and like superficial stuff. Looking down on others much?

But I watch superficial stuff all the time just don't get "THE FEELS" and "relatable" parts. They make my wander "What kind of person would like that?".

avdx101 said:

You just said that it is a superficial tearjerker and that it's popularity provokes angry thoughts in you. Is this a good thing or am I missing something?

It's bad for me but not necessary bad for anyone else...like my personal opinion or something.

avdx101 said:

Just by going on this anime's page and reading the top reviews strenghtens my point.

Now who is reading selectively?

avdx101 said:
Also, try forming your own opinion by actually watching the show, before shitting on it.

- The actual show is irrelevant. I avoided Mushishi for years because people told me how depressing it is...and it isn't...it's actually very level headed.
- But I am not shitting on it. You are just annoyed that there are guys like me - not interested by such titles.

avdx101 said:

I get triggered

True internet story.

avdx101 said:
when people start spewing bullshit without even knowing what they are talking about.

But it's not bullshit - people absolutely and undeniably love their melodrama and can't stop praising it.
For example look at you - getting triggered so easily at totally unrelated topic.

avdx101 said:
You sound like an anti-vaxxer.

What?
Then...you sound like flat-earther to me.
alshuApr 3, 2019 3:23 AM
Apr 3, 2019 3:21 AM

Mar 2018
You know the deal, all those objectively good anime made for real anime fans

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Psycho Pass
Welcome to the NHK
Ping Pong the Animation
Berserk 97
poop
Apr 3, 2019 7:18 AM

May 2018
avdx101 said:
I hope you realise that you're spreading a baseless opinion.

I hope you know that most of opinions on MAL are baseless.
Also spreading is a bit strong word...because obviously nobody pays any attention to me (And shouldn't.)

avdx101 said:
This is why I said you sound like an anti-vaxxer.

Except that the positive effects of vaccines are something objective and unaccountable talking about cartoons isn't.

avdx101 said:
That's what they do.

Nope, they are exploiting people's fears, am I doing that?

avdx101 said:
But to say that something is superficial, without even taking a look at it, it's just plain ignorant and dumb.

But it is superficial by design. Entertainment should be superficial otherwise it wouldn't be e entertaining. If you go with some deep scientific stuff (like about the psychological aspects of surviving a trauma) people will fall asleep.

avdx101 said:
What if YOU would've made an anime, a really complex one, that you worked your ass off for it. It starts airing and some people just comment with ''such feels'', because of laziness maybe, or they're not so good at expressing themselves .
Other dude just comes on that page and sees these coments, then he immediately decides that this anime is just some tearjerker, cheap crap. He not only skips it, but also spreads around his self constructed image of that anime.

How would you feel?

Tearjerkers are selling well I would be filthy rich. (Ask Mari Okada!)
alshuApr 3, 2019 7:25 AM
Apr 3, 2019 7:35 AM

Apr 2017
Examples:

Fate
Evangelion
Shinsekai yori
Code Geass
Death Note
Psycho-Pass
Re:Creators
Monogatari
Steins;Gate
Madoka Magica

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Apr 3, 2019 8:16 AM
Nov 2018
Evangelion, Oregairu, Madoka Magica, Serial Experiments Lain, 3-gatsu, Haruhi Suzumiya (theme of being unique in society), Welcome to the NHK, Seishun Buta. Evangelion, Madoka and Lain are more philosophical, other ones are more focused on society, yet still discuss topics of human nature.
Apr 3, 2019 9:44 AM

Nov 2014
Abunai Sisters made me think really long and hard as to why I'm still alive and haven't offed myself.

Apr 3, 2019 10:21 AM

Aug 2013
Btw, my pick would be Paranoia Agent.

alshu said:
- The actual show is irrelevant. I avoided Mushishi for years because people told me how depressing it is...and it isn't...it's actually very level headed.

I feel like the real problem is that you should stop listening to people and just watch the show, especially because you're clearly listening to all the wrong kinds of people. I honestly never saw anyone saying Mushishi is overtly depressing. I love the show exactly because it isn't, and most people I talk with about it share the same feelings.

avdx101 said:

Agreed, and I wasn't bothered by it, but still, I thought it was an odd one considering the mood of the rest of the series.
Satyr_iconApr 3, 2019 10:48 AM
Apr 3, 2019 11:32 AM

May 2018
Satyr_icon said:

I feel like the real problem is that you should stop listening to people and just watch the show

Well I am complaining about people's reactions not the show itself (or the other animes I mentioned).
Didn't watched 3-gatsu no Lion just because it doesn't look like something I would be interested in not because people described it unfavourably to me.
Apr 3, 2019 11:39 AM
Jul 2018
Any CGDCT show
Also nice 3-gatsu thread
Apr 3, 2019 11:50 AM

Aug 2013
alshu said:

Well I am complaining about people's reactions not the show itself (or the other animes I mentioned).
Didn't watched 3-gatsu no Lion just because it doesn't look like something I would be interested in not because people described it unfavourably to me.

You just said you avoided Mushishi for years exactly because of what other people said about it. It seems like you're doing the same with 3-gatsu exactly because you think the show is something it isn't, especially when you put it together to shows like Koe no Katachi and the Pancreas movie and call them all superficial tearjerkers, which is just ludicrous.
Apr 3, 2019 12:12 PM

Aug 2010
boku no pico made me consider that destroying this world may be for the best.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Apr 3, 2019 12:19 PM
Aug 2018
Boku no pico. I was questioning whether I was gay or just on the flexible side. My morals and fragile heterosexuality was at question here.
Apr 3, 2019 12:20 PM

Apr 2018
My First Girlfriend is a Gal has many deep messages.
Apr 3, 2019 12:21 PM

Feb 2010
alshu said:
The popularity of stuff like 3-gatsu no Lion, Koe no Katachi and Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai provokes some [angry] thoughts in me.

your definition of 'superficial' is extremely superficial. Out of all the drama anime out there (and there are a lot) 3-gatsu and Koe no Katachi are definitely among the least superficial ones I've come across. I don't even feel like that's debatable. You just sound like a random hater who has no idea what they're talking about but just enjoys being edgy and disagreeing with everyone just for the sake of it.

And it's especially ironic since you apparently haven't even watched 3-gatsu. If you're reaching conclusions and making judgments just based on random hearsay, you're much more superficial than anything you criticize for being superficial. Work on yourself before you start randomly shitting on shows...
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 3, 2019 12:29 PM

Feb 2015
Apr 3, 2019 12:39 PM

May 2018
Satyr_icon said:

You just said you avoided Mushishi for years exactly because of what other people said about it.

Yes, I don't do that any more. I gave it as example.

Satyr_icon said:
It seems like you're doing the same with 3-gatsu

Nope.

Satyr_icon said:
put it together to shows like Koe no Katachi and the Pancreas movie and call them all superficial tearjerkers, which is just ludicrous.

Yep, they (+ Lion) are exactly the type of ludicrous tearjerkers that people tend to like so much and to take sooo seriously and emotionally.
Apr 3, 2019 12:53 PM

Feb 2013
in a very literal interpretation, Sazae-san

across its 69+ year run, with consistently high tv ratings im sure it generated more thoughts than literally every other anime by order of magnitudes especially against most anime posted here which are late night shlock only watched by niche communities
Apr 3, 2019 12:58 PM

May 2018
Pullman said:

your definition of 'superficial' is extremely superficial.

Duuuh it doesn't need to be deep.

Pullman said:
I don't even feel like that's debatable.

But you are debating it because?

Pullman said:
You just sound like a random hater who has no idea what they're talking about but just enjoys being edgy and disagreeing with everyone just for the sake of it.

Only disagree about "edgy" you put it there like a little pebble inside a snow ball in a snowball fight...a bit a overreaction I think.

Pullman said:
And it's especially ironic since you apparently haven't even watched 3-gatsu.

How is ironic since am not talking about it but about it's fans?

Pullman said:
If you're reaching conclusions and making judgments just based on random hearsay, you're much more superficial than anything you criticize for being superficial.

How is that comparable?

Pullman said:
Work on yourself before you start randomly shitting on shows...

I am not shitting on the show because those titles are not set to be that ambitious in the first place and what I am saying is not an insult to them but you guys are overreacting again...which was kind the point of my initial post.
Apr 3, 2019 1:44 PM

Aug 2013
alshu said:
Satyr_icon said:

You just said you avoided Mushishi for years exactly because of what other people said about it.

Yes, I don't do that any more. I gave it as example.

Dude. You're doing that RIGHT NOW. Just read what you say at the end of your reply:

alshu said:
Yep, they (+ Lion) are exactly the type of ludicrous tearjerkers that people tend to like so much and to take sooo seriously and emotionally.

You're judging 3-gatsu BECAUSE of other people's reaction to it, JUST LIKE you did to Mushishi. You clearly have no idea what the show is about, Jesus. At this point I can't even tell anymore if you're playing dumb or if you seriously can't see how contradictory and hypocritical your whole attitude is.
Apr 3, 2019 1:53 PM

May 2018
Satyr_icon said:

You're judging 3-gatsu BECAUSE of other people's reaction to it

Naaah, I am doing exactly the opposite - judging people's reaction because of 3-gatsu (+ others).

Satyr_icon said:
and hypocritical

Am I dishonest about something I am saying?
If not how can I be hypocritical?
Apr 3, 2019 1:55 PM

Oct 2015
alshu said:

Labeling Sangatsu as a superficial tearjerker while not having watched a single episode of it. This is clearly the highest IQ post in the entirety of this site to date.
Apr 3, 2019 1:59 PM

May 2018
Orhunaa said:

Labeling Sangatsu as a superficial tearjerker while not having watched a single episode of it. This is clearly the highest IQ post in the entirety of this site to date.

Yep, you guys talk mainly about it's melodramatic qualities so mislabelling is kind of your responsibility.

Now when confronted maybe you would start to talk differently about it?

Also is calling it tearjerker even an insult?
alshuApr 3, 2019 2:03 PM
Apr 3, 2019 3:27 PM

Aug 2013
alshu said:
Satyr_icon said:

You're judging 3-gatsu BECAUSE of other people's reaction to it

Naaah, I am doing exactly the opposite - judging people's reaction because of 3-gatsu (+ others).

Satyr_icon said:
and hypocritical

Am I dishonest about something I am saying?
If not how can I be hypocritical?

Fine, you won. I give up. I'll just assume you are trolling, because I can't believe someone can be this dense.
Apr 3, 2019 3:36 PM

May 2018
Madoka Magica
Welcome to the NHK!
A Silent Voice
Grave of the Fireflies
Berserk

Apr 4, 2019 4:19 AM

Aug 2015
violence jack really activated my almonds
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Hentai Tags ( 1 2 )

HentaixxHunter - May 16, 2022

91 by Zarutaku »»
50 seconds ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

61 by giga_tail »»
4 minutes ago

» what is the best slice of life anime and why ?

ame - Apr 30

34 by animejas »»
9 minutes ago

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - 6 hours ago

17 by Spunkert »»
9 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

71 by PlasticRobot »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.