Forum Settings
Forums

The Anime That Pleasantly Surprised You The Most

New
Feb 10, 2019 8:44 AM

Apr 2018
This topic has probably been brought up way too many times, in different shapes and forms, but hey... Why not?

What's the anime that's pleasantly surprised you the most?

I have a quite a few, but I'll just include 3 example.

1. Haikyuu: I haven't watched that many sports anime, but among the ones I've watched, haikyuu is undoubtedly the best.

2. Flip Flappers: I originally watched it because of a video i watched, and started it without major expectations. It has a very weird style, but i personally loved it.

3. Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai: Just like flip flappers, i watched it because it was recommended in a video i watched, and it quickly became one of my all time favourites.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 10, 2019 8:53 AM

Oct 2017
Diamond no Ace
Violet Evergarden
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru
Ballroom e Youkoso
Hanebado
The Young Noble of the Field is currently watching - Diamond no Ace: Act II
Misugi-kun is also reading - Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Feb 10, 2019 8:55 AM

Aug 2017
In the thread of "I think I understand now, why lots of young anime fans don't like older anime", when the shitstorm has no way to be stopped, someone commented a picture of a girl with grey/White hair for their personal arguments, that I really found it really interesting and i was really curious about her, and so and i asked for the source. Two users(@Jal90 , @Samuji), replied to my comment by even recommending it. The movie wasn't too long, and i watched it, immediately i received the recommendation and it's anime name. The anime was "Awesome". I already gave good 9 and it totally deserves it.

This is my short story, which nobody will find interesting, anyway :D
Feb 10, 2019 9:11 AM

Jun 2015
@Skana told ya >.o

Glad you liked it and weren't thrown of by the sureal imagery... it really is a gem which is just an amazing piece of art.

and let me be of use to this thread aswell...

I was pleasantly surprised by Violet Evergarden, which I thought would just be a boring drama show... i mean the drama part i was right about.. but it had some pretty outstanding episodes

and I mean most the anime that are on my favorites list because yeah... most of the time u dont spot a masterpiece just by looking at the cover

oh and Baccano is most likely the most pleasant surprise I had... and durarara after a couple of episodes
Feb 10, 2019 9:35 AM
Jan 2019
Rising of the shield hero
I thought it was just gonna be another boring isekai show. I almost i give up on the first episode ,i was kinda bored but HOLY SHIT my whole mood changed when naofumi was getting framed
It was the first time in awhile i felt the MC pain my mind was blown away n i became a fan at that very moment n very episode keeps getting better
Feb 10, 2019 9:42 AM

May 2014
Tensei Shitara slime Datta-ken

Thought it was going to be a low tier isekai, and it turned out to be my favorite show this season
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Feb 10, 2019 9:42 AM

Jun 2017
Re:zero

ye, honestly, not ashamed to admit I used to hate on this series 'cause I'd previously watched first 6-7 episodes and felt it was average at best and just dropped it but, someone here convinced me to give it another try a few months ago so I just did it and actually ended up enjoying quite a lot, really, it's a fun, entertaining anime, with plenty of flaws ye but actually good and exciting, super bingable and with one of the most gorgeous character in Emilia. Not taking sides here on that waifu war just saying, I really like Emilia's design, she's truly one of the most beautiful female characters I've ever seen.

A pleasant surprise indeed.

Feb 10, 2019 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
Maybe assassination classroom although I didn't score it that high
Feb 10, 2019 9:44 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
Probably Shokugeki no Soma.

When I watched it for the first time, I dropped it almost immediately as I was like "Ew, another pointless Ecchi show in which they're using some weird excuse for nude people". It was a few years later when a friend recommended to pick it up again and wouldn't stop bothering me.

I mean, yes, the food really is some kind of a weird excuse for nude people, but I started enjoying the dishes and the story around Soma and the other students at the Totsuki academy so much that it was hard to stop watching. I'm really glad that I gave it another chance.

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Feb 10, 2019 9:57 AM

Mar 2017
Anime: Barakamon

Special Mention: Rezero, The Promised Neverland, So Ra No Wo To, Barakamon, Toradora
Feb 10, 2019 10:15 AM
Aug 2018
Honestly Uzamaid was the biggest shock to me because I loved the comedy and the drama in the series and everyone expected it to be loli trash
Feb 10, 2019 10:21 AM

Aug 2012
Ergo Proxy

It was boring at first but after like a few episodes it had Bebop-like episodes that were rly good.
Feb 10, 2019 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
Skana said:
In the thread of "I think I understand now, why lots of young anime fans don't like older anime", when the shitstorm has no way to be stopped, someone commented a picture of a girl with grey/White hair for their personal arguments, that I really found it really interesting and i was really curious about her, and so and i asked for the source. Two users(@Jal90 , @Samuji), replied to my comment by even recommending it. The movie wasn't too long, and i watched it, immediately i received the recommendation and it's anime name. The anime was "Awesome". I already gave good 9 and it totally deserves it.

What was the movie? Sorry but that thread is a shitshow. Could you tell me here please?
Feb 10, 2019 10:35 AM

Aug 2017
HungryForQuality said:
Skana said:

What was the movie? Sorry but that thread is a shitshow. Could you tell me here please?

Sure. The anime is called Tenshi no Tamago.
ItsYaBoiSkanaFeb 10, 2019 10:40 AM
Feb 10, 2019 10:41 AM
Jul 2018
Skana said:
HungryForQuality said:

Sure. The anime is called Tenshi no Tamago and it was really a pleasant surprise for me. You should try it. It's only 1 hour 10 minutes, anyway.

oh that one. That must be the only anime that's as intimidating as serial experiments lain.

I heard it's a thought-provoking masterpiece but I've been holding it off for a while now. I'll check it out.
Feb 10, 2019 10:43 AM
May 2016
aku no hana surprised me with the depth of how shitty it was
also i was expecting hibike euphonium to just be k-on 2, but instead i got something much more beautiful, dramatic and emotional
ShiroanonFeb 10, 2019 11:06 AM
Feb 10, 2019 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
Girl's last tour. Unlike a lot of people here, I was never bored and the whole story and atmosphere grabbed me.

After the disappointment that was Made in Abyss, Girls' last tour was a pleasant surprise.
Feb 10, 2019 10:57 AM

Feb 2010
Idk about the 'most', but some that I can list are Oregairu, Made in Abyss and Idolmaster. I initially avoided both Oregairu and Idolmaster and ended up loving them once I gave them a shot, while I was always optimistic about Made in Abyss but it just ended up so damn good that it still blew away my already high expectations and became the surprise AOTY for me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 10, 2019 11:13 AM
Feb 2018
Re:Zero - a friend of mine recommended it, but also said that it has many flaws and an unsatisfying end. Until episode 10 or so it was good but nothing special. Surprisingly it ended up as a 10/10 for me because the characters were just extraordinary and the story had a really nice pacing. Even the end was well done for a still ongoing series.

Dennou Coil - that one begins slowly, and until episode 14 or 15 nothing really happens. But from then on, it's not far from perfect for me. Sadly one good half can't make up completely for a bad one... you could have wrapped up the first 10 episodes in three or four without problems.
Feb 10, 2019 11:13 AM

Jan 2019
Gunbuster/Diebuster

Expected typical mecha shenanigans, only watched it because it was Gurren Lagann's grandpa. First 3 eps of Gunbuster were pretty meh, but then it started getting and better and more hype, until it got to the absolute masterpiece final episode. Diebuster was awesome as well, since I was already a big fan of FLCL and Trigger anime. Can't wait for Top wo Nerae! 3.

pls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy

wen day is dark alway rember happy day
Feb 10, 2019 11:16 AM

Dec 2018
Devilman crybaby. I expected something ironically funny netflix anime. I was wrong.
Love does not exist,
there's no such thing as love.
Therefore there is no sorrow.
That's what I thought...

Feb 10, 2019 11:27 AM

May 2009
Compared to initial expectations, for me it'd be Problem Children.

I basically did not expect to like this at all. Don't really like isekai, don't like jerk protags, don't like contrived plot premises like forcing people to do strange things to resolve conflicts (e.g. play games with stupidly specific rules), don't like bunnygirl fanservice.

Well, it actually turned out to be a pretty enjoyable ride.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 10, 2019 11:40 AM

Apr 2018
The four that come to mind are Black Lagoon, School-Live!, Zombieland Saga, and Violet Evergarden.

The first three I didn't think I would like, and Violet Evergarden I had no expectations of. I ended up enjoying all of them.
Feb 10, 2019 11:47 AM

Jul 2017
Kuroko's Basket, since I never thought in a million years I'd like watching something related to any other sports apart from football(soccer)/motorsports

Also this season's Dororo. I was expecting it to be good considering how Mappa's been on a roll and the premise seemed interesting, but damn is it exceeding my expectations
Feb 10, 2019 11:59 AM

Mar 2016
Mob Psycho 100 - i didnt like first episode so i tought its just gonna be alright show at best, glad it got much better

This season:

Dororo - i don't really like sword fights and history in general but this one is really good
Shield Hero - for me this is best Isekai even tho i havent saw them all
Feb 10, 2019 12:03 PM

Mar 2016
enJ0Yable said:

Dennou Coil - that one begins slowly, and until episode 14 or 15 nothing really happens. But from then on, it's not far from perfect for me. Sadly one good half can't make up completely for a bad one... you could have wrapped up the first 10 episodes in three or four without problems.

I dropped Dennou Coil after 6th ep because of this reason, but you make me curious about what changes after 14th ep. But then again, i dont think i want to force myself waching 8 more boring episodes
Feb 10, 2019 12:17 PM

May 2013
Haikyuu: I expected it to be a mainstream sport anime but it was pretty heartwarming.
Feb 10, 2019 12:29 PM

Jan 2019
Cross Game
from all the sports anime i watched this was my favourite, the art isn't impressive but i loved it so much, characters and story was fantastic, drama and romance was beautiful.

so many people are into haikyuu man, i dropped it after watching the first season, gotta rewatch that and the other seasons at some point, just couldn't get into it

Madoka also really surprised me when i first watched it i never expected it to be that amazing

the same goes for gundam iron-blooded orphans, when i was done with the show i was amazed at the development of the characters and story

there probably are others but these just kinda came to mind now
Feb 10, 2019 12:34 PM

May 2018
I almost dropped Cross Ange after the fourth episode. It now stands as having one of my favorite protagonists in anime.
Harem is the opiate of the Anime fandom masses.
Feb 10, 2019 12:43 PM

Dec 2017
3-gatsu no lion
both seasons are very pleasant to watch especially rei and hina scenes in 2nd season

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Feb 10, 2019 12:47 PM

Jan 2013
Not sure whether it's the one that surprised me the most but one example is The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. I expected it to be absolute ass moe shit with no plot and subpar animation but it actually ended up getting pretty fucking good around episode 10.
Yes the animation can't compare to KyoAni but emotionless Yuki is incredibly cute if you ignore what she's suppose to look like. So I went in with low expectations and ended up enjoying it way more than expected.
Feb 10, 2019 12:53 PM
Jan 2018
Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai
Love Live
Amagi Brilliant Park
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii

Honestly all of the above I wouldn't watch because it's not my taste but enough friends told me to watch them and they were really enjoyable.
Feb 10, 2019 1:12 PM

May 2018
Even though I already liked the SAO Universe - Gun Gale Online was better than I expected it to be. Also Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken surprised me by how darn enjoyable it's been :D

Feb 10, 2019 1:15 PM

Jun 2015
I think Love Live for me. I did not think I would enjoy it as much as I did.
:)
Feb 10, 2019 2:43 PM
Oct 2018
Rising of the shield hero caught me off guard i expected the character to be a over powered hero with a harem but when i finished the first episode got me genuinely suprised and made me wanting more its very interesting seeing the "hero" do bad things to get by
Feb 10, 2019 2:44 PM

Jan 2019
Shiroanon said:
also i was expecting hibike euphonium to just be k-on 2, but instead i got something much more beautiful, dramatic and emotional

Yup. Starting off, I was even mentally comparing every little detail to K-On but quickly faded as I became engrossed in a whole new type of anime. Euphonium is a gateway drug to drama.
Feb 10, 2019 3:22 PM

Dec 2012
Usually the ones I blind-watched on a whim like:
KruszerFeb 10, 2019 3:28 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 10, 2019 3:39 PM

Jan 2019
Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I remember I dropped it really early because I thought it was just some typical "cute girls doing cute things" anime. When I went back into it, I got an angsty psychological thriller that made me cry way too much over cute girls. I freaking love this anime so much.

animeanimeanime

Feb 10, 2019 3:43 PM

Sep 2018
Probably Little Witch Academia. I was expecting some childish moefest, and that's kind of what is was. Yet, it did it in a way that made Akko an oddly charming and endearing character. It's a really good show, I highly recommend it.
Feb 10, 2019 7:09 PM

Feb 2016
I went to The Sky Crawlers after having watched (and rewatched) all Oshii's main movies, aside from Beautiful Dreamer, and my expectations were pretty low since this one is ignored both by his fans and the anime community in general

Needless to say that i was more than surprised when this movie slowly developed into what became my favorite experience with any of his works so far
Feb 10, 2019 7:15 PM

Dec 2016
The Devil is a Part Timer!, I just started watching it out of impulsive curiosity expecting another forgettable and crappy 1 cour seasonal and ended up as part of my all time favorites, the shit was genuinely hilarious.
Feb 10, 2019 7:20 PM

Dec 2018
I normally don’t even start something if it doesn’t have some sort of appeal to me, so if anything I’m usually dissapointed not surprised/pleased.

There were a couple that were reccomended by friends though, and despite thinking they sounded horrendous, I gave it a shot out of respect for my friends.

Those would be The Future Diary and Assassination classroom. Both the titles instantly turned me off (book by it’s cover schpeel, I know), and to make matters worse I thought the premise of TFD was full blown retarded.

Ended up really liking both, even if they did have some serious issues.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Feb 10, 2019 7:33 PM

May 2018
Probably Yagate Kimi ni Naru, Kuzu no Honkai and White Album 2. Honestly, I was expecting something bad, and I just start watching because I was in need of dogshit. Turned out that somehow I related so much to them and felt so much that by the end of each anime I was really crying like a bitch.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Feb 10, 2019 7:57 PM

May 2016
K-On! is my answer. I went into the series legitimately dreading it, bracing myself for the worst kind of mindless fluff imaginable...but the first season ended up being pretty good, and the second season was outright excellent.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Feb 11, 2019 4:33 AM

Jul 2015
recenly mahou shoujou spec ops asuka
seems bad at first, but solid do show
!
Feb 11, 2019 8:31 AM
Feb 2019
Undoubtedly, Assassination Classroom and Bungou Stray Dogs. People can say anything about them but I'd still love them from the bottom of my heart, lol. (esp the latter which I finished reading the recent chap in the manga)
Feb 11, 2019 8:32 AM

Jan 2010
School Days
Feb 11, 2019 9:59 AM

Dec 2018
I haven't seen many anime shows but Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma comes to mind.

It's a comedic anime based around cooking. I didn't expect it to be as entertaining as it turned out to be.
Feb 12, 2019 10:14 AM
Feb 2019
mob psycho 100, i just started watching it without any expectations cos i was bored but it really surprised me and now is one of my favorites
Feb 12, 2019 10:23 AM

Aug 2018
Tensei Shitara slime Datta-ken
K-On!
Haikyuu
Shirobako
Houseki no Kuni

go ahead say i have shit taste but idgaf because i genuinely enjoyed these shows.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

984 by subahokke »»
35 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

55 by SuperAdventure »»
39 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

238 by ISeeLifePeople »»
41 seconds ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

130 by Punkero »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

13 by LoveYourEyes »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.