Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 12, 2019 5:26 AM
Apr 2007
Naaate said:
I’m sorry but I saw one of the reviews that gave this mess an 8/10 and I have to say this: you’ve never seen or understand godzilla lore.

If one seriously rates this mess 8/10 he got more troubles than simply not understanding godzilla lore.
Jan 12, 2019 5:54 AM

Jan 2014
BahamutZero said:
Naaate said:
I’m sorry but I saw one of the reviews that gave this mess an 8/10 and I have to say this: you’ve never seen or understand godzilla lore.

If one seriously rates this mess 8/10 he got more troubles than simply not understanding godzilla lore.

What fucking Godzilla lore? There are a lot of different versions and backstory for a lot of the best kaijuus in godzilla and this is just an alternate take on them. Just because it deviates from the traditional godzilla formula doesn't mean it's a mess.
Jan 12, 2019 5:53 PM

Oct 2013
Meanwhile this trilogy was all about the heavy themes of humanity which are at the core of every good Godzilla story (like the recent Shin Gojira). Each movie built on top of the last and was progressively better thanks to that.

I'd say a 7/10 is fair.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
DeadlyRavenFeb 4, 2019 6:33 PM
Jan 12, 2019 9:06 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
I'm a tokusatsu fan and I found this third movie to actually have the balls to explore some philosophical themes. The first two movies were pretty bad but in retrospect this third movie made the trilogy worth it.

Even though at the end it was still not very deeply explored, the attempts were actually quite genuine and did hit some very interesting points. One for example would be a race that is so advanced that it saw the end of the universe, became nihilists and lost their meaning of life.

I couldn't care less if there was no real fights between Godzilla and Ghidorah but I can understand the type of fans who are only there for the big monster fights are going to be highly disappointed or bored with the philosophical themes.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 13, 2019 8:54 AM

Aug 2011
So basically the moral of the story is that the only way for humanity to continue to exist is to live in grass huts. God forbid we actually try to find a balance between progress and harmony with nature. Nope, the meaning of life is to perpetuate your genes, and to do that you must live like telepathic apes.

Maybe I didn't understand the original message, but wasn't Godzilla all about warning us not to sacrifice nature for progress? When did it turn into complete anti-technology rhetoric?
Jan 13, 2019 10:01 AM
Apr 2016
issen-ken-taka said:

Maybe I didn't understand the original message, but wasn't Godzilla all about warning us not to sacrifice nature for progress? When did it turn into complete anti-technology rhetoric?

In your hectic mind, it seems. If you see this as an anti-technology statement, then you have truly been unable to see beyond the screen. But you got the "warning" part correctly, so I guess you just have to think hard again, what is the message if it is not an anti-technology rhetoric.
Re:formed
Jan 13, 2019 10:28 AM

Aug 2011
Then what is it? The MC abandons his family to commit double suicide with the comatose girl in a kamikaze attack with the last piece of technology on Earth.

The symbolic scene with the burying of the weapons was sufficient. Why did they have to come up with a new conflict at the very end of the film, only to solve it 5 minutes later by having MC run off to off himself in complete disregard of the feelings of the mother of his future child/children. He doesn't even look back. It's her sister that talks to him. Was that just to drop the message about the cycle?

Which brings us back to my original point. The message: the inevitability of the collapse of civilisations due to technology. The final conflict is resolved by destroying the last of technology. Like a callback to the ending of BSG, with pointless sacrifice added in. Feel free to tell how you interpreted this ending.
Jan 13, 2019 11:06 AM
Apr 2016
issen-ken-taka said:

MC run off to off himself in complete disregard of the feelings of the mother of his future child/children. He doesn't even look back. It's her sister that talks to him. Was that just to drop the message about the cycle?

Quite a preposterous assumption about the mother's feelings. That last piece of (alien) technology on Earth could not only restart the cycle, but after being activated, according to its nature, could keep on consuming the Earth just like the Nano-city did. The whole point of Haruo destroying last piece of technology alongside the girl's body (which had last active cells on Nanometal inside itself) is actually quite considerable of him - he is doing all he can to make sure his children and their children don't become one with the Nanometal (Sacrifing oneself for the future of others? WORST SACRIFICE IN THE HISTORY OF SACRIFICE), and that his friends and family get to live in peace, unthreatened by Godzilla. I do not know what the mother could have felt if not pride and gratitude.
His sacrifice is hardly an interpretation subject, it is a necessity out of threat Nanometal poses. I can swallow that some are not liking warnings against technological overindulgence and having fear that because of these cartoons humans will never become immortal through technology (awwww). For some reason, they are strangely a shy lot and can't just say so. I will not, however, under any circumstance, swallow petty attempts to taint the narrative into what it is not and claims of ultimate subjectivity in the matter. This just will not do.
Jan 13, 2019 12:20 PM

Aug 2011
Maybe if they'd bothered to put in a scene to tell us about the mother's feelings. And I'm certain that simply talking to his friend to stop working on the robot, or trying to destroy it and the girl in any other way never occurred to anyone. Hah, pride and gratitude, I'm certain, especially since basically nobody understood why he did it.

So you interpreted it as a necessary step to destroy Mechagodzilla, not technology as a whole. Hmm, that a plausible interpretation. But the movie sure as hell could have handled it a lot better. As it is the monologue doesn't exactly suggest that. Well, the whole thing was a mess, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised. Ambitious, philosophical, but falls short in execution.
Jan 13, 2019 12:55 PM
Apr 2016
issen-ken-taka said:

As it is the monologue doesn't exactly suggest that.

Well, duh, this is why it is art and not a natural science. Understanding things untold comes with experience in said department, and it would not be as valued if everything was just presented from a get go. Even in life, dialogues are quite not transparent.
Jan 13, 2019 4:37 PM

Aug 2017
I have to say its amusing how this trilogy has just gotten mixed reception every step of the way from viewers .

From the animation, to the story, to the characters, nearly everything about it has been hit or miss depending on the individual.

Its going to be even more funny when King of the Monsters come out & if it does end up getting a more general positive reception from audiences.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Jan 13, 2019 6:51 PM

Sep 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
issen-ken-taka said:

MC run off to off himself in complete disregard of the feelings of the mother of his future child/children. He doesn't even look back. It's her sister that talks to him. Was that just to drop the message about the cycle?

Quite a preposterous assumption about the mother's feelings. That last piece of (alien) technology on Earth could not only restart the cycle, but after being activated, according to its nature, could keep on consuming the Earth just like the Nano-city did. The whole point of Haruo destroying last piece of technology alongside the girl's body (which had last active cells on Nanometal inside itself) is actually quite considerable of him - he is doing all he can to make sure his children and their children don't become one with the Nanometal (Sacrifing oneself for the future of others? WORST SACRIFICE IN THE HISTORY OF SACRIFICE), and that his friends and family get to live in peace, unthreatened by Godzilla. I do not know what the mother could have felt if not pride and gratitude.
His sacrifice is hardly an interpretation subject, it is a necessity out of threat Nanometal poses. I can swallow that some are not liking warnings against technological overindulgence and having fear that because of these cartoons humans will never become immortal through technology (awwww). For some reason, they are strangely a shy lot and can't just say so. I will not, however, under any circumstance, swallow petty attempts to taint the narrative into what it is not and claims of ultimate subjectivity in the matter. This just will not do.

The whole self-sacrifice was completely unnecessary, they could've destroyed it in a different way or do whatever with it, the nano vulture literally crashed into godzilla and exploded into a ton of small pieces after being hit by the beam, which should all contain nano fragments, so i don't see how there was any meaning in that self sacrifice kamikaze bullshit.
Jan 13, 2019 11:27 PM

Aug 2011
Daniel_Naumov said:
issen-ken-taka said:

As it is the monologue doesn't exactly suggest that.

Well, duh, this is why it is art and not a natural science. Understanding things untold comes with experience in said department, and it would not be as valued if everything was just presented from a get go. Even in life, dialogues are quite not transparent.

You know, I was going to ignore your initial jab at subjectivity, but this really won't do. Your attempts at invalidating interpretations other than yours are irritating, especially since the writing in the movie wasn't exceptional. Trying to sell the movie as some kind of masterpiece by suggesting anyone who didn't apply what essentially is wishful thinking and generous amounts of suspension of disbelief only serves to further alienate those who didn't wholeheartedly love it.

Slimcoder said:
I have to say its amusing how this trilogy has just gotten mixed reception every step of the way from viewers .

From the animation, to the story, to the characters, nearly everything about it has been hit or miss depending on the individual.

Its going to be even more funny when King of the Monsters come out & if it does end up getting a more general positive reception from audiences.

I just wish Hollywood would stop depicting advanced fighters flying 10 meters next to Kaiju to shoot their guns at it... FFS, stay at longer range. Not that CGI movies were better at it, but at least they had the excuse of baiting it.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenFeb 4, 2019 6:33 PM
Jan 14, 2019 12:52 AM

Nov 2013
Didn’t enjoy this as much as the first two , and not just because of the lack of action.
Also, I love how Haruo gets Maina pregnant, then straight up leaves.
Jan 14, 2019 1:49 AM

Jan 2014
nSidez said:

The whole self-sacrifice was completely unnecessary, they could've destroyed it in a different way or do whatever with it, the nano vulture literally crashed into godzilla and exploded into a ton of small pieces after being hit by the beam, which should all contain nano fragments, so i don't see how there was any meaning in that self sacrifice kamikaze bullshit.

It is a combination of a couple reasons. Haruo recognize that he himself is part of the problem because he is the only one left who still bears extreme hatred toward Godzilla and him being around for a long period of time might make the tribe understand what hatred is.

Also flying into Godzilla was the safest way to dispose of the Nano-metal. The scientist was about to announce and start using the mech in a day, and every human survivor would oppose to destroying it once they know about it, so there aren't really much alternatives to dispose of it other than flying it into Godzilla. As for the fragments, they are scattered literally right around Godzilla, which I doubt the humans would ever approach. Also that is assuming the nano-metal didn't get completely destroyed by the heat of Godzilla's atomic breath.

The tribe is able to coexist perfectly with Godzilla because they lack a lot of human desires that led to Godzilla's creation in the first place, such as endless desire for prosperity or revenge that humans pursuit even risking their own life. The Houtua's only goal in life is surviving in peace and their technology probably won't advance much, thus ending the cycle and Godzilla will just lie dormant like in the first movie until the end of time.
Jan 14, 2019 2:13 AM

Aug 2017
Vongalaxy said:
nSidez said:

It is a combination of a couple reasons. Haruo recognize that he himself is part of the problem because he is the only one left who still bears extreme hatred toward Godzilla and him being around for a long period of time might make the tribe understand what hatred is.

Also flying into Godzilla was the safest way to dispose of the Nano-metal. The scientist was about to announce and start using the mech in a day, and every human survivor would oppose to destroying it once they know about it, so there aren't really much alternatives to dispose of it other than flying it into Godzilla. As for the fragments, they are scattered literally right around Godzilla, which I doubt the humans would ever approach. Also that is assuming the nano-metal didn't get completely destroyed by the heat of Godzilla's atomic breath.

The tribe is able to coexist perfectly with Godzilla because they lack a lot of human desires that led to Godzilla's creation in the first place, such as endless desire for prosperity or revenge that humans pursuit even risking their own life. The Houtua's only goal in life is surviving in peace and their technology probably won't advance much, thus ending the cycle and Godzilla will just lie dormant like in the first movie until the end of time.

I have to say I dislike how this move apparently has an anti-technology/progression bent. So basically this all our fault for wanting to improve on our lives and we should be happiest in a stone age-ish society regardless of how ancient tribal societies all had their own problems too.

Like damn that's just sad. All the achievements humanity has made to help humanity, possibly lost forever because we have to be stuck at a pre-developed tech level lest we anger a God-like entity who absolutely hates that shit.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Jan 14, 2019 3:02 AM
Apr 2016
Slimcoder said:
Vongalaxy said:

I have to say I dislike how this move apparently has an anti-technology/progression bent. So basically this all our fault for wanting to improve on our lives and we should be happiest in a stone age-ish society regardless of how ancient tribal societies all had their own problems too.

Like damn that's just sad. All the achievements humanity has made to help humanity, possibly lost forever because we have to be stuck at a pre-developed tech level lest we anger a God-like entity who absolutely hates that shit.

Yes and no. Not entirely. Godzilla is a product of human sin. Technology itself is not a crime. The nuclear bomb was a crime. Still is. Godzilla is a universal punishment for those who forego morality and do their worst with the technology they have. In this film, the sin does not get forgotten. Godzilla is still a fact even if the new humanity is better than the one that was. Godzilla will not attack them, unless they repeat the cycle and corrupt technology into weapons or whatever worse it can be.
That, however, does not mean that we, humans who have reflected on this trilogy, have to get rid of all technology and human genius achievement altogether. We have, however, exercise caution and avoid overindulgence. Look what happened with Exif, this is a possibility when "technology becomes indiscernible from magic". Nowhere in the film it is explicitly said that the technology by itself is a sin. That would make no sense, neither from philosophical nor moral viewpoint. This is but how you process the symbolism and message in the THIRD film, without looking at the trilogy as a whole.
issen-ken-taka said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

You know, I was going to ignore your initial jab at subjectivity, but this really won't do. Your attempts at invalidating interpretations other than yours are irritating, especially since the writing in the movie wasn't exceptional. Trying to sell the movie as some kind of masterpiece by suggesting anyone who didn't apply what essentially is wishful thinking and generous amounts of suspension of disbelief only serves to further alienate those who didn't wholeheartedly love it.

I might have employed a rough choice of words, as I am a very passionate person when it comes to art.
Jan 14, 2019 3:05 AM

Jan 2014
Slimcoder said:

Haha I thought the movie was more about how we need to be careful with what we do with technology or we will eventually be sent back to stone age, since what caused Godzilla to appear in the first place was nuclear weapons, which can easily eat our ass raw and send us back to stone age irl.
Jan 14, 2019 3:16 AM

Apr 2013
that one guy that keep arguing about how Godzilla was always about the philosophy and humanity life lesson is a piss poor Godzilla fan.

Godzilla was always about the philosophy and humanity through THE ACTIONS OF GODZILLA. If the show's perspective and focus is not on the kaijuu then wtf is the point? We all love Godzilla because it is precisely a kaijuu movie about this giant monsters fighting each other while sending a message.

Just look at the examples of the best Godzillas.

Godzilla vs Destroyah had a premise of life must come to an end in order to foster new one. They did it so darn perfectly but did the Kaijuu action got compromised? Hell no.

Or Godzilla SOS in Tokyo. The show had the premise of respecting the dead and putting the natural order in place. What did we get? Frigging three way kaijuu brawl between Godzilla Mothra(kids) and Kiryuu but we still got the message clear and fine.

Long story short, this netflix trilogy shortchanged the Kaijuu fans and tried too hard to be something it was not.
Jan 14, 2019 3:27 AM
Apr 2016
G_Aker said:
Godzilla because it is precisely a kaijuu movie about this giant monsters fighting each other while sending a message.

The fighting is in the mind only. The message goes beyond the action on screen and is not anyhow connected to the big slow monsters stretching the limits of CGI to entertain the... viewer. The Godzilla you claim to love is the second generation Godzilla films aimed at entertaining the masses with something yet unseen - a Kaijuu on Kaijuu action. It was but a commercially dictated occurrence, which was also dictated by the era people were living in. Today, when entertainment is refined and by itself is not an end anymore, the paradigm shifts towards messages, just like the originals. Godzilla is just one example of that. What you are talking about is merely a development stage of art and television. You are not talking about true Godzilla.
Jan 14, 2019 4:08 AM

Aug 2011
Slimcoder said:

My thoughts exactly. I'm a fan of the older message (or what I interpreted it to be). Moderation. Balance between harmony and progress. This movie seemed to push a far more radical rhetoric. That's at least what I got from it initially. Daniel here has a different interpretation, and while I wasn't sold at first, I must admit that I like his latest idea, about the stone-age life being not a necessity but a sort of punishment.

In any case, just watching Shin Godzilla, and by God does it have a far more realistic depiction of the military than the 2014 version. The scene where the JDF unloads on Godzilla was more enjoyable than even the Halo insertion scene from 2014.
Jan 14, 2019 5:29 AM

Sep 2016
Vongalaxy said:
nSidez said:

I know all that, what i'm saying is that it would've been better to hide with the Nano-metal or sink it into the ocean rather than spreading the nano metal fragments all across the forest by suicide crashing into godzilla, what kind of ending is that, wanting to dispose of the metal and then literally suicide bombing godzilla with it spreading the ships fragments all across the forest/landscape...

Daniel_Naumov said:
G_Aker said:
Godzilla because it is precisely a kaijuu movie about this giant monsters fighting each other while sending a message.

The fighting is in the mind only. The message goes beyond the action on screen and is not anyhow connected to the big slow monsters stretching the limits of CGI to entertain the... viewer. The Godzilla you claim to love is the second generation Godzilla films aimed at entertaining the masses with something yet unseen - a Kaijuu on Kaijuu action. It was but a commercially dictated occurrence, which was also dictated by the era people were living in. Today, when entertainment is refined and by itself is not an end anymore, the paradigm shifts towards messages, just like the originals. Godzilla is just one example of that. What you are talking about is merely a development stage of art and television. You are not talking about true Godzilla.

What do you mean "something yet unseen"
The first gen godzilla movies, except the first and second ones (showa movies) were all about Kaijuu battles while sending a certain message based on Godzillas actions, most of them were literally 90% battle 10% other stuff, this all changed in the 2nd gen when the focus shifted from kaijuu battles to a more story based approach and we got to see way less kaijuu action and a lot more "story" explanations and the message and warnings etc are now solely based on the humans actions rather than Godzillas.

DeadlyRavenFeb 4, 2019 6:32 PM
Jan 14, 2019 6:23 AM
Apr 2016
nSidez said:
Vongalaxy said:

I know all that, what i'm saying is that it would've been better to hide with the Nano-metal or sink it into the ocean rather than spreading the nano metal fragments all across the forest by suicide crashing into godzilla, what kind of ending is that, wanting to dispose of the metal and then literally suicide bombing godzilla with it spreading the ships fragments all across the forest/landscape...

Nanometal is an ALL CONSUMING substance that changes every other matter into itself by molecular reconstruction. You can't hide it and hope it does not reactivate after some time, consuming everything around itself.
Jan 14, 2019 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
im hesitant to watch this now since its just more talking again?
you should disconnect yourself from the idea that the godzilla movie is actually about godzilla this time, it really isnt.
Jan 14, 2019 9:00 AM

Sep 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
nSidez said:

Nanometal is an ALL CONSUMING substance that changes every other matter into itself by molecular reconstruction. You can't hide it and hope it does not reactivate after some time, consuming everything around itself.

Exactly, so how was it a good idea to scatter it in a wide forest area by suicide bombing into Godzilla? You can clearly see how the fragments scatter into different directions
Jan 14, 2019 9:13 AM
Apr 2016
nSidez said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Exactly, so how was it a good idea to scatter it in a wide forest area by suicide bombing into Godzilla? You can clearly see how the fragments scatter into different directions

These fragments are harmless. The only active cells left are inside the girl, which is together with Haruo inside the Vulture's cabin, and both the Vulture and the girl are destroyed either when the EM ray hit or when they crashed into Godzilla. Whatever small fragments of mech are around, they will not activate without the girl anymore.
Jan 14, 2019 9:28 AM

Sep 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
nSidez said:

These fragments are harmless. The only active cells left are inside the girl, which is together with Haruo inside the Vulture's cabin, and both the Vulture and the girl are destroyed either when the EM ray hit or when they crashed into Godzilla. Whatever small fragments of mech are around, they will not activate without the girl anymore.

That's your personal assumption, the vulture was obviously not destroyed by the beam (To me it looks like it was only grazed by the beam as it didn't even explode before crashing into Godzilla and only caught fire from the beam) and to believe that every single cell was destroyed from a crash sounds very very unlikely.

The whole reason being, they said multiple times that even a single active cell could consume the whole world so it sounds very stupid to me to suicide bomb into Godzilla with the hopes of all cells being destroyed rather than shooting the vulture with her inside into the atmosphere or do whatever with it, like, burn it maybe? So you actually see all the cells being destroyed? They tried to make this look realistic and meaningful but it had the opposite effect with that stupid method.
Jan 14, 2019 9:28 AM

Aug 2011
The actual moral of the story is 'shut up, not even the writer knows how the nanometal works, stop asking'. It's never really clear how the bloody thing works. Mechagodzilla city hadn't been eradicated to the last molecule but it's apparently no longer a threat, and neither are the assimilated bodies within it, but apparently the girl was a threat, because the writers said so.

The realistic conclusion is that it's just as likely that there are other nanometal hotspots on Earth other than miss childhood friend so fingers crossed scientist-kun doesn't find them and tries to use them instead. I really hope MC talked to him and explained himself before going full Yukio Araki.

As I said, ambitious, philosophical, but the writing could have been better.
Jan 14, 2019 9:44 AM
Apr 2016
issen-ken-taka said:
The actual moral of the story is 'shut up, not even the writer knows how the nanometal works, stop asking'. It's never really clear how the bloody thing works. Mechagodzilla city hadn't been eradicated to the last molecule but it's apparently no longer a threat, and neither are the assimilated bodies within it, but apparently the girl was a threat, because the writers said so.

Of course, I am going off things explicitly stated in the trilogy itself. The scientist said that the nanometal cells from the Nano city deactivated after the Godzilla counter attack, but because the girl was outside it and was half way into the process of Nano-metalizing, the cells in her were still active. The scientist believed he could fix other cells thanks to the active cells and activate the Nano Vulture to produce more things by shaping matter out of Nano metal. The girl was the key to restarting the cycle, and so Haruo took Vulture (because he could not make Godzilla attack him any other way) and made sure Martin does not accidentally cause another apocalypse.

nSidez said:

The whole reason being, they said multiple times that even a single active cell could consume the whole world so it sounds very stupid to me to suicide bomb into Godzilla with the hopes of all cells being destroyed rather than shooting the vulture with her inside into the atmosphere or do whatever with it, like, burn it maybe? So you actually see all the cells being destroyed? They tried to make this look realistic and meaningful but it had the opposite effect with that stupid method.

I mean, you want to see cells destroyed? The whole process? Or a narrator that loud and clear says "AND SO THE LAST NANOMETAL CELLS ON EARTH WERE DESTROYED"? You mention realism, but what you advocate for is a complete deconstruction of the narrative by the narrators themselves.

DeadlyRavenFeb 4, 2019 6:31 PM
Jan 14, 2019 11:49 AM

Sep 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
nSidez said:

I mean, you want to see cells destroyed? The whole process? Or a narrator that loud and clear says "AND SO THE LAST NANOMETAL CELLS ON EARTH WERE DESTROYED"? You mention realism, but what you advocate for is a complete deconstruction of the narrative by the narrators themselves.

No, what i'm saying is that it's simply not a way to destroy those nanometal cells.
The whole point of the action taken was to destroy the LAST CELLS on earth and instead of burning them or whatever they just decide to randomly suicide bomb godzilla with them.... If u don't see the plothole here then i don't know what else to say.
Jan 14, 2019 12:18 PM
Apr 2016
nSidez said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

No, what i'm saying is that it's simply not a way to destroy those nanometal cells.
The whole point of the action taken was to destroy the LAST CELLS on earth and instead of burning them or whatever they just decide to randomly suicide bomb godzilla with them.... If u don't see the plothole here then i don't know what else to say.

...Last attempt. Godzilla EM Ray is what destroyed the girl and the last active nano cells on the whole planet.
Jan 14, 2019 12:25 PM

Aug 2011
Daniel_Naumov said:

...Last attempt. Godzilla EM Ray is what destroyed the girl and the last active nano cells on the whole planet.

Last attempt. That's not made clear in the story, it's just wishful thinking on your part.

Besides, Ghidorah was summoned by the Exif. No more Exif fanatics, nobody left to summon Ghidorah. I'm not sure what the deal was with it waiting patiently. If anything, the nanometal was the real danger. Still, it was poorly explained and explored. The concept of an AI ultimately destroying its creator in the process of fulfilling its prime directive is interesting but was not at all explored here. I guess it was beyond the scope of the philosophy, though. The theme was something else. Complicating it further probably wouldn't helped, even if the nanometal's introduction in movie 2 was basically Deux ex Machina.
Jan 14, 2019 12:44 PM

Jan 2014
Not sure what you guys were on about. Nano-metal doesn't just endlessly replicate itself without any commands or influence. If they are like a virus that just consume every matter, the scientist wouldn't have to go through the trouble of fucking with the mech in the first place. The vulture and the girl was sitting there for months and it didn't affect the surroundings at all. The only reason mecha-godzilla spreaded that much was because its production facility was still active. The scientist wouldn't be able to do anything even if they somehow approach the dormant Godzilla and retrieve the fragments since the computer in the vulture is destroyed.
Jan 14, 2019 1:06 PM

Aug 2011
Case in point. MC didn't need to off himself. He could have just buried the mech and the girl.

I still don't get it why the nanometal in the girl was usable when nothing else was but whatever.

I guess it's all symbolic, sacrifice and what not. Kind of kills the whole win survive message, even if I disagree with both, ironically.

Be a nano-hivemind, be devoured by Haruhi, or live in grass huts... hmm, for some reason none are that appealing to me.
Jan 14, 2019 6:04 PM
Mar 2018
Vongalaxy said:
BahamutZero said:

What fucking Godzilla lore? There are a lot of different versions and backstory for a lot of the best kaijuus in godzilla and this is just an alternate take on them. Just because it deviates from the traditional godzilla formula doesn't mean it's a mess.
Deviation isn’t the problem lmfao. It’s the poor attempt of creating something original.
Jan 15, 2019 1:49 AM
Oct 2015
Most of the people who chastise this movie all base their reasons of why they dislike it on things like 'poor execution' or 'no actions, wrong lore' or 'bland/uninspiring philosophy', it's like you guys don't even have any solid reason in the first place. Some people claim that the themes used weren't explored enough or that there are some contradictions here and there, then proceed to clearly point out exactly what they felt to be lacking or what could have been done better. Towards that kind of response, I can see that they really do dislike the movie because of certain faults and quirks of the movie itself but the former type of people who simply say 'poor execution' or 'bland movie' clearly don't have any reason to sound as if the movie's at fault. In truth, you just don't like this kind of movie! There's no fault with the movie itself.

DeadlyRavenFeb 4, 2019 6:30 PM
Jan 15, 2019 12:17 PM

Nov 2014
I don’t believe anyone that marked love it or liked it to this piece of trash actually watched it. This was amazingly even worse than Star Wars The Last Jedi.
Jan 17, 2019 7:48 PM

Aug 2010
I wanted to like this film more than I did, but it was mostly boring and long-winded, and the actual Godzilla "fight" is one of the worst in the franchise.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jan 18, 2019 4:51 AM

Jan 2014
Daniel_Naumov said:

^Basically what happens when you go for Shakespeare expecting... well, Kaijuu fight club. Thankfully, you are welcome to the minority.

Shakespeare?

I was expecting monster fight and it sucked as hell while trying really hard to covey random messages but ended up telling fkin junk
You will soon learn that a heart that choose to exist, even in a life filled with pain, will one day allow us to meet again.
With the world's blessings, we will meet again and again, forever returning to the homeworld we've yet to see.
Many, many times.

Jan 18, 2019 5:13 AM
Apr 2016
Melvin117 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

^Basically what happens when you go for Shakespeare expecting... well, Kaijuu fight club. Thankfully, you are welcome to the minority.

Shakespeare?

I was expecting monster fight and it sucked as hell while trying really hard to covey random messages but ended up telling fkin junk

Exactly, if all you are looking for is UFC you won't be able to tell the random message apart from an apparent one, forget fathoming it all together.

DeadlyRavenFeb 4, 2019 6:29 PM
Jan 22, 2019 7:24 AM

Mar 2016
Animation seemed way way worse than the previous movies, the music was very bipolar, the Exifs were terrible villains, the ending is non-sense and Gidorah's fight with Godzilla is just too underwhelming.

2/10
Jan 23, 2019 9:17 AM

Mar 2014
Very disappointing to be honest, I was a looking for a good fight between two legendary monster in history !! And yet they ruined it by making complicated with their talks of life, death, philosophy, humanity and some other stuff in sciences, not that I hate the science bit but it kinda the stuff they that godzilla or ghidorah is compared to things like a symbol or deity or whatever and the whole looks very silly/boring. They are just monsters no need complicated it, just "let them fight"
Jan 27, 2019 7:37 AM
Jun 2015
From the looks of it, I think this is how things are going.

-Ghidorah is another dimensional being who's just here without its eye. Those who pray to them will serve to be his signal for location and one man will be his eyes, Metphies. After beating that by killing someone who's it's eye. It's basically blind and don't know what to do. It didn't die yet. Only just dead in this universe concept but not in its universe yet. Pretty much you can't kill it besides kicking it out of your universe. Here's a thing... After beating it Haruo became that being who's the closest to Ghidorah. That sign is to how Metphies talk to him EVEN THO he's dead. Ghidorah already takes part of his mind... It's a matter of time he will become that doom caller again. So committing suicide is the best choice for protecting his child that about to be born from that "wing wing" moments with Houtua loli. Well I don't even know their age but they look like one. ;)

-If humanity try to live peacefully without any care of the world again? Godzilla will just attack. So the right answer Haruo can take is dying along with all the nanotech. He still dies like a hero. Even if that look like a dumb move but that seal a chance that would bring doom for like many million years. THAT one death REALLY help that much tbh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2019 1:39 AM

Jul 2016
Seriously, Haruo? Leaving Maina with a baby like that?
Way to sour the whole ending.
Jan 28, 2019 7:14 PM

Jun 2013
Well compare to the two previous action-packed movies this was a let down. I liked the story but it just felt poorly executed and confusing. The Ghidorah vs Godzilla face-off was kind of boring. I also find the whole exif betrayal plot stupid and unnecessary for the most part including the supernatural crap. And let's be honest people don't watch monster movies to get enlightened or learn philosophy. They watch it for the battles, the action, the thrill etc. But apparently this movie did the complete opposite of that.

As for the ending I don't know what difference did Haruo's death really make. I mean humanity will always find a way to screw themselves and the planet they dwell with or without nano-tech/Ghidorah/Godzilla. Haruo's death might've delayed that process and saved Houtua's future but only for time being.
Jan 30, 2019 6:03 AM

May 2016
Worst fucking movie ever. Why in the holy ass was there so much religious shit in this pile of garbage? Only thing I liked about this was the cute dark skinned girls. rest was beyond atrocious.
Jan 31, 2019 6:46 AM

Jun 2012
Godzilla: The Planet Eater is an example of how not to conclude a trilogy. The final act of this film is a protracted exercise in removing Ghidorah's literal plot armor coupled with the most obvious "determination check" ever. It also ends on a non-satisfyingly bittersweet note, like depression porn for the sake of depression porn instead of naturally concluding to tragedy. Notice the lack of words for the rest of the film because the final act and ending faceplanted what was otherwise a good movie

This film could be a good time though...after a few drinks
Feb 4, 2019 6:38 PM

May 2009
Thread Cleaned
Please stay civil while discussing the movie.
Mar 17, 2019 5:28 AM

Dec 2014
Not the best ending, but not the worst one either. He died to stop the cycle ( atleast for now) ... poor Yuko and Maina... but his action is understandable, he died so atleast the ones in this era could live... i wasnt expecting much from this trilogy, so im not so dissapointed in the end.
Could use some better after credit scene tho, not this stupid dance stuff :D
Mar 17, 2019 3:49 PM

Oct 2015
What a senseless suicide that Haruo made, kinda disappointed by the ending. I felt it was rushed and carried less sense and emotions.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Worst Godzilla Movie | Totally ruined it

FateXBlood - Jan 11, 2019

11 by FateXBlood »»
Apr 16, 2022 11:32 PM

» Hey, I didn't watch this trilogy to see an ending like this!  

mufarari - Mar 3, 2019

6 by Tentaclehusbando »»
Oct 6, 2021 10:38 AM

» Off-topic: are you waiting for Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) movie?

uninstallthegame - Aug 23, 2018

5 by RyuKazumaki »»
May 25, 2020 10:08 AM

» Major Spoilers: What did you think of Metphies after watching the entire trilogy?

fantasynight04 - Jan 24, 2019

3 by CtrlZED »»
Feb 24, 2019 12:25 PM

» Animation premiers tomorrow; any idea when it will be available online?

Daniel_Naumov - Nov 1, 2018

6 by Masshiroi »»
Jan 12, 2019 2:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.