Forum Settings
Forums

CGDCT, do you like them or do you hate them?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 3, 2019 10:27 PM

May 2016
jal90 said:
Itazashi said:
I don't despise the genre and those kinds of shows, but i most certainly don't hate them.

To me, a well-written female, lead or side-character, that has cute elements and mannerisms is much more appealing to me than simply a female character who has very little actual effort put into them and is drawn for the sole purpose of appealing to the male demographic.

I think this criticism is to a great deal pure confirmation bias based on their labelled demography. There's a lot of CGDCT shows out there by female authors and directors, the appeal is far wider than the source label indicates (K-On! being the usual example) and to say that the purpose of these characters is solely to appeal to the male demographic just because you don't find them interesting or engaging is all kinds of dishonest and some pretty bad logic.

Ah, i see. Forgive my ignorance. Thank you for giving me this information, though.
Jan 4, 2019 12:27 AM
Jan 2015
I prefer CGDAT(Cute girls doing amazing things) aka Sora Yori.
My Queens

Jan 4, 2019 2:42 AM

Oct 2010
Itazashi said:
jal90 said:

I think this criticism is to a great deal pure confirmation bias based on their labelled demography. There's a lot of CGDCT shows out there by female authors and directors, the appeal is far wider than the source label indicates (K-On! being the usual example) and to say that the purpose of these characters is solely to appeal to the male demographic just because you don't find them interesting or engaging is all kinds of dishonest and some pretty bad logic.

Ah, i see. Forgive my ignorance. Thank you for giving me this information, though.

Oh, no problem. This is a topic I tend to get quite passionate about. Sorry if I came off as rude.

-Mahesvara said:

Somebody watched Gigguk's vid :P
Jan 4, 2019 12:00 PM
Jan 2015
jal90 said:

-Mahesvara said:

Somebody watched Gigguk's vid :P
Maaaaybe, anyway I thought it was more fitting too.
My Queens

Jan 4, 2019 12:05 PM

Jul 2015
I don't dislike CGDCT shows but I only watch them when I need something to binge without thinking, to relax. What's more stress-relieving than cute girls having fun? :)

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm
Jan 3, 2020 12:20 PM

Jan 2019
I only like them if there is no Yuri. If there is yuri or yuri bait, I don't care how good it is, I will drop it.
Jan 3, 2020 12:22 PM

Dec 2018
It’s CGDCT! How could you hate that?!
Jan 3, 2020 12:23 PM

May 2016
"CGDCT" is a genre that is inherently kinda dumb. There's no point to watching most of them, so only the very best are worth watching.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jan 3, 2020 12:33 PM

Nov 2016
Usually they just annoy me, tho there are exceptions here and there (Kobayashi, Yuru Camp). CBDCT can also be irritating, but again, exceptions exist (Tsuritama, Chuuboy). Basically if the gimmick's interesting I'll probably enjoy it, but generally the 'cute people doing cute things' aspect doesn't appeal to me at all.
currently: doing my best!

Jan 3, 2020 7:06 PM

Sep 2017
I've only seen a few of them (Yuru Camp, Sora yori mo Tooi Basho and Araburu Kisetsu) but they all were really great, I frankly enjoyed them

I guess it's pretty enjoyable when it's well written
Jan 3, 2020 7:16 PM

Mar 2018
Do I like cancer? Of course not. NEVER.
Jan 3, 2020 7:32 PM
Sep 2017
I think the good ones are some of the best things anime has to offer, given that I care much less about a story as compared to character chemistry. K on is like my favorite tv show of all time because it’s unironically one of the best written shows wver
Jan 3, 2020 7:37 PM

Oct 2013
Personally I watch anime for crazy sci-fi and fantasy shit, to see characters beat the fuck out of each other, and for a little fanservice, not to see a bunch of cute girls running around doing cutesy things. But to each their own. I have no right to judge.
Jan 6, 2020 4:37 PM
Aug 2011
I neither like nor hate them. I tend to just ignore them for the majority of the time and I rarely find myself in the right mood to watch such shows. If there were more variety to the 'genre' I would definitely consider giving a try to CGDCT titles more often.

I can see why some people adore this genre and the reason is, of course, the 'cute girls'. I mean it's anime we are talking about and practically all of the anime girls are cute in one way or another. So I don't see much point in watching cute girls doing everyday life things in a cute fashion when you can watch cute girls being in some out of the ordinary situations in anime of other genres.
Jan 7, 2020 12:29 AM

Jul 2019
I like some and hate others. I like Maid Dragon, Non Non Biyori, Girls und Panzer but aint a fan of Love Live
Jan 7, 2020 8:45 AM

Feb 2014
I tend to avoid them, most of them don't look like something that would interest me.
Jan 7, 2020 8:49 AM
Mar 2019
Kitcele said:
i enjoy them tho i do sometimes long for “cute girls doing slightly more interesting things that are still cute”
for example, i really enjoy blend s, amanchu, gakkou gurashi and general idol anime
but cgdct that i really enjoyed even though it was basically slice of life were interviews with monster girls. it was a really gorgeous and well done series that i found super enjoyable!

I find that you can call what they do in gakkougurashi cute an offense to my emotional impairment that the show has given me.
Jan 7, 2020 1:42 PM

Feb 2015
It kind of needs to have some kind of direction to interest me. If it's just random daily stuff, I'm not very much interested, unless maybe the characters appeal to me a lot. Like, I thought K-On was at its best when they did their music thing, but all the basic daily stuff didn't interest me much.
Jan 7, 2020 1:57 PM

Mar 2019
zero interest in CGDCT, I just don't really like cute anything. Like I never understand people fawning over puppies and the like. I don't really hate them, when I watched sound euphonium I finished it quite quickly... because I kept zoning out and not noticing that time was passing or what was happening in the show. Moe just is not and probably never will be my thing
Jan 7, 2020 2:01 PM
May 2019
I don't think it's possible to hate them that would be like hating happiness it's self.
Jan 7, 2020 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
For inbetween I learned to like it. If it should stay in my memory, it must have more for it, but while I'm cooking or anything I like them sometimes. Some go actually deeper too.
Jan 7, 2020 2:05 PM

Nov 2008
I have discovered that I can like them if they are drawing manga, making their own anime, or are fighting a zombie apocalypse. xD

Jan 8, 2020 3:26 AM

Jul 2016
Unless they have something more going for them such as with something like gakkou gurashi,i'm going to be largely uninterested.It's just not my thing to be honest.I would say it's not a genre i would actively seek out when choosing what anime to watch.
Jan 8, 2020 3:37 AM
Sep 2016
I'm not sure what actually counts as a CGDCT show but I like K-on, Yuru Camp, Girls Last Tour and SoraYori so I wouldn't say I hate the genre. I don't actively seek them out either though.

I will say I don't like the fanbase though as it's full of rabid Yuri fans and just weird people in general (who happen to be Male).
Jan 8, 2020 3:37 AM

Oct 2013
Mostly hate them, unless they have something else besides just that like Girls Last Tour and Dragon Maid.
Jan 8, 2020 3:41 AM

Apr 2019
I hate them but if Sora Yori does count as CGDCT then that'll be the only CGDCT I've actually ever enjoyed truly in my entire life.
Jan 8, 2020 3:45 AM

May 2018
I'd prefer IPDIT - interesting persons doing interesting things. Alas it's not popular today

Apr 26, 2021 5:44 PM

Dec 2019
There is a CGDCT that made me hate most battle shounens that exist, its name is Aria.
Apr 26, 2021 6:46 PM

Jun 2017
Igzeivy said:
There is a CGDCT that made me hate most battle shounens that exist, its name is Aria.
Thanks for necro

mhkr said:
Overall, I like this genre more than other genres and never "hated" any CGDCT (dislike is something different with hating) but still a lot of them are just mediocre...

But fanservice, yuri element and drama make the show bad for me not always but in lots of times.
After more than 2 years nothing changed
Apr 27, 2021 5:18 AM

Mar 2019
Yes, cute girls doing cute things is the greatest thing humanity has ever made.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Apr 27, 2021 5:41 AM

May 2019
Yeah I greatly enjoyed them because I have K-On! as my all time fave. But I also do hate some CGDCT shows because lacking substance and bore me to death. Some of the characters are just lack charm and nothing really special about their personality.

Apr 27, 2021 2:36 PM

Jan 2020
I'm still fairly inexperienced compared to some people but eh, it's between "alright" and "pretty good"

Apr 27, 2021 8:43 PM

Jan 2020
Neutral, generally I don't like cute , happy, airhead characters but sometimes I still can enjoy the show overall
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Apr 27, 2021 8:46 PM

Apr 2017
Neutral. Comes down to what it contributes to a show.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 27, 2021 8:51 PM
Jul 2018
I don't hate the idea of them. I mean, I do like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. But I think there has to be more to an anime than just CGDCT, for me to be into it. In the case of Kobayashi, the characters and their interactions were really likeable, cute, and it was a bit fantastical with its well, fantasy elements. Also, Kobayashi, the MC, is a mature adult, so I really liked that too.
Apr 27, 2021 8:54 PM

Nov 2020
It’s also a hit or miss for me
They can be amazing like A place further than the universe and Non Non Biyori or they can bad like miss kobayashi dragons maid.
It’s nice to watch when I don’t want any heavy action or drama. And it all comes down on when I’m watching it and how I’m feeling to see how much I enjoy it.
If there's a hole there's a goal-Master Oogway
Apr 27, 2021 8:55 PM

Jan 2020
One of my favorites animes is K-On, so I think that we have the answer.

Apr 27, 2021 10:18 PM

Oct 2008
I watch them to relax, unwind and detox. I don't love them, but I do appreciate them.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

62 by LostSpectre »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

22 by Ohayotaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

7 by NubFix »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

54 by NubFix »»
7 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

2 by Lhundrup »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.