Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 22, 2018 7:47 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode/series' finale had some of the most otherwordly monsters I've seen even from this series lol

But seriously, it's about damn time that everyone is tapping into their true powers for the final fight. Yuta and his allies are on board with this fight! Glad they didn't waste much time getting right into it too with the action in that other world.

Ah fuck, I wasn't a big fan of Anti but that was tough to watch. Definitely got the thrill of a series' finale though after everything coming together.

Dec 22, 2018 8:54 AM

Jul 2017
Meh ending. Gridman had a really strong start but lackluster finale. Easily a 6/10.
Dec 22, 2018 9:20 AM

Jun 2013
True Gridman...

Wow, what a great finale. Easily exceeded my expectations.
A really great conclusion to the characters' development and I got to give it to the director, great layouts and ideas to really captivate me into the scenes. Fantastically animated cuts were all over this episode as well, and amazing music placement, it really syncs well with the show visually.

I even got a bit emotional with Akane scene, and I definitely didn't expect that from this show.

The show overall was pretty good in my opinion, I think it deserves a lot of praise for its direction and characters. I personally found the characters really appealing when it comes to both their designs and their personality. The direction was filled with fantastic layouts and ideas in the entirety of the show, so much so, that I could stare at some shots and just adore them.
Voice acting was great as well.

I will miss this show.
MrMushinDec 22, 2018 9:31 AM
Dec 22, 2018 9:27 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
papsoshea said:
#SSSS_GRIDMAN is trending on twitter lol

SSSS. Gridman official channel is bustling and tweets everywhere!
Can’t wait to watch the episode!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 22, 2018 9:30 AM

Jan 2009
just skimmed through the raw, wtf is that ending with 3D girl shit? is that Akane a NEET in real life just having a dream? lol

EDIT:

but its not really a dream its just like Akane is connected to The Matrix in this case the cyber world which is the whole idea behind the original Gridman show
degDec 24, 2018 10:54 AM
Dec 22, 2018 9:45 AM

Apr 2012
So, Rikka x Yuuta and Rikka x Akane (lol), both were successfully sinked for the drama?
Dec 22, 2018 10:10 AM

Jul 2017
RobertBobert said:
So, Rikka x Yuuta and Rikka x Akane (lol), both were successfully sinked for the drama?

The Yuta and Rikka stuff is just weird. Why go out of your way to establish that the protagonist has a crush on her multiple times only for it to go nowhere? And the Rikka x Akane stuff never existed, just idiots obsessed with yuri projecting their fantasies on a friendship between two girls. Trigger should just stay away from any type of romance in general though, they are god awful at it.
Dec 22, 2018 10:23 AM

Aug 2014
The first episodes had a superior directing with fantastic shots filled with scenes that were keeping the silence just a tad longer than what would normally be considered acceptable, those were the peaks in the show imo.
It also kept it nostalgic with the intentional awkward 3D monsters, really taking me back. However if you weren't around during that time it will just be that, awkward 3D monster battles. I am giving the show a 7/10, mainly because it dropped in entertainment after the first few episodes.

As for the ending, ofc it had to be a friendship-saves-the-world kind of show, though at the first few episodes i had kinda hoped it would take a different route. The last scene tied it nicely to the previous Gridman the Hyper Agent shows and they told it was Akane through the use of props instead of words, which is all they needed, nice touch.
Dec 22, 2018 10:25 AM

Aug 2015
Meh ending to a dull series that favors thick tights memes over storytelling.
4/10
Dec 22, 2018 10:25 AM

Feb 2017
Wholesome ending, aka me waking up from her dream, Gridman returning thanking the group for their assistance, anti being alive and getting his eye back.
9/10 gj trigger

Dec 22, 2018 10:42 AM

Apr 2012
GreenEmu said:
RobertBobert said:

The Yuta and Rikka stuff is just weird. Why go out of your way to establish that the protagonist has a crush on her multiple times only for it to go nowhere? And the Rikka x Akane stuff never existed, just idiots obsessed with yuri projecting their fantasies on a friendship between two girls. Trigger should just stay away from any type of romance in general though, they are god awful at it.

Well, I know that this whole “ship” was a solid yuri bait, but when yuri shipers of Russian social networks took a frame where Rikka took Akane’s hand and spread it as “proof that they became a couple”, I was quickly deceived, lol.
Dec 22, 2018 10:47 AM

Feb 2012
deg said:
just skimmed through the raw, wtf is that ending with 3D girl shit? is that Akane a NEET in real life just having a dream? lol

look at her clothes on the stand when she wakes up theres a doll of akane... most likely she was facing depression from school
Dec 22, 2018 10:54 AM

Jun 2014
Here are some interpretation:
So Akane IS Rikka in the real world. That's why she put Rikka in the junk shop, Rikka is the self she doesn't want to face.
And the reason Gridman chose Yuuta is because while everyone's looking at Akane, he's the one who took interest in Rikka AKA what Akane really is like.

I could be reading too much into this scene though:

Anyway I gave this ending 7/10, it could really benefit from having one more episode.
Dec 22, 2018 11:11 AM

Jul 2017
my god the very last scene with the irl akane was fucking amazing.
Dec 22, 2018 11:12 AM

Jan 2009
just finish watching the subbed version and i say its a great ending overall, i just hate the live action footage of Akane in the end there lol she does not even have her violet hair in the real world

and damn they played the Baby Don Don song in the final battle thats freaking awesome
Dec 22, 2018 11:17 AM

Jul 2017
garyborken said:
So Akane IS Rikka in the real world. That's why she put Rikka in the junk shop, Rikka is the self she doesn't want to face.
And the reason Gridman chose Yuuta is because while everyone's looking at Akane, he's the one who took interest in Rikka AKA what Akane really is like.

my god this is actually amazing. sounds very legit too.
Dec 22, 2018 11:21 AM
Aug 2017
But the ending kinda got me confused kinda I mean does hibiki and rikka actually get together I mean the op showed them holding hands but I was hoping it’ll show in the ending but overall it was pretty great anime 8/10
Dec 22, 2018 11:22 AM

Jan 2009
garyborken said:

Anyway I gave this ending 7/10, it could really benefit from having one more episode.

that sounds totally legit, that will be a good plot twist seeing that the real life girl really does look Rikka rather than Akane anyway
Dec 22, 2018 11:25 AM
Dec 2017
the nice Promare poster in the credit scene...
Dec 22, 2018 11:25 AM
Apr 2018
yo i fucking love this show
Dec 22, 2018 11:26 AM
Dec 2017
garyborken said:

So that's why she programmed "Rikka" to love "Akane" because she couldn't love herself
Dec 22, 2018 11:28 AM

Aug 2017
yeahhh, power of friendship. In the end, Alexis is your typical bad guy. When Gridman and the others left, it feels like "I must go now. My planet needs me" lmao.

Honestly, I was very disappointed by this show. 4/10 for the anime.
NurguburuDec 22, 2018 11:33 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 22, 2018 11:28 AM

Sep 2011
This was a very Trigger series - it is all pretentious, it fucks up the romance, ends with a deus ex "friendship is magic" event, and the finale shreds the plot threads into thinner, weaker strands instead of tying them into a nice bow.

I really couldn't care less about why anything happened. I'll be content with believing garyborken's theory and leave it at that.
Dec 22, 2018 11:32 AM

Dec 2017
kek, the last couple of episodes pulled this show out of the ass and made it a glorious piece. dementia and epic stuff in a single episode finale is quite a sight.

though, i kinda have mixed feelings about the series as a whole. couldn't care less about any of the characters except akane, though that may have been the main idea. nor about the story

i guess japanese fans are in awe. 5/10 for me

Dec 22, 2018 11:35 AM
Oct 2018
10/10
trigger saves anime again.
"I know anything goes here...
but this...
this is clearly not fucking okay...!"
-Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
Dec 22, 2018 11:38 AM
Feb 2016
crap ending to a crap anime.
Dec 22, 2018 11:39 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great, entertaining and a powerful finale episode to end proceedings for the show!

It was a really intriguing and entertaining conclusion, but I feel like an OVA or Special episode could really provide an extra layer of closure which I sure would love to have! Please, Studio Trigger! Some of the things in this episode felt a bit rushed too, such as the handling of the depressing mood of Utsumi’s, but it wasn’t too much of an issuer as a whole. It was good to see Anti alive in those final scenes with the mysterious Kaiju there, I wonder if what she said meant something mix more though and a few more Questions. Another episode would’ve really done the trick here, because as a stand-alone this show leaves many things unanswered.

I can’t help but be a little downhearted that the pen knife, as shown in the Op, didn’t amount to much in the end thoughas I was completely hooked with the theory of her committing suicide or something of that sort, it just felt it’d be a lot more impactful had it been that way. Although, I must say, the 3D effect in the end there was like a really nice touch to give it a feeling of relism and originality. @garyborken, brilliant and a very legitimate theory imo considering the timing in which these scenes were allocated, and like one of the later posts mentioned, the hair colour of the female shown in the very end in real life suggests it could have been Rikka indeed!

From the very beginning of this show, the unusual premise and concept of the show really hooked me and from then on it’s been a thoroughly delightful and captivating watch! Comedy of the show was hilarious and just the excellent use of animation, those slow down scenes and such, to instigate it was fabulous! Directing of the show, especially the episode where Akane being God was revealed and these last few episodes, has been sublime! Truly, it’s been a blessing! Somehow, each and every episode had moments of high intensity, heartwarming and funny moments and just the mix of it all week in and out made Sundays far more enjoyable! Characters of this show were pretty much stale for the most bit but it was nice to see ample amount of Development for the main Characters! Akane’s character in particular, of course, was very pleasing to see and while I do think it might have been a little congested to sort things out through completely in this finale episode, it still managed to deliver! Rikka’s blush there in the end before the leave of Gridman and co when told of Yuta’s feelings for her was sweet and I’ll take that as an official green lit for the romance between the two to have prevailed! Borr attempting to kick Utsumi again and then the following mutual laughter between the two was very touching to see too, I just loved the character interactions of this show! And of course Rikka’s mother was hilarious as ever, I’d really loved to see more of her after the final battle! Moving on, the Animation Quality was certainly not the best but the change in style during the fight scenes and the Sakuga effects were very appreciable! In fact, some of the full quality made things more funny than it would’ve probably otherwise been, and the best example of this that comes to mind is during the convo between Rikka and Yuta in episode 1. Action choreographies were superb, too, in this finale episode and for the whole series! As for Sound Department, it was Great! Too bad we didn’t get to hear the ED in this episode but it was one of the most memorable ED themes for me, thanks to the visuals too! Op was really nice to have too and the soundtracks used every now and then were great! An unusual soundtrack for this episode during the fight with Alexis though, but it wasn’t half-bad. Last episode’s and the true Akane-revelation episode somewhat eerie music really elevated the tense atmosphere and this coupled with the great directing really made those scenes a lot more impactful!

All in all,
- Storyline/Plot Development: 7.5/10
- Characterization/Character Development: 7.5/10
- Art/Animation: 7/10
- Sound Department: 8.5/10
- Personal Enjoyment: 9/10

-> Overall: Solid 8.25/10!
Here’s to hoping the upcoming Ultraman project will be as good as this series, if not more, and we get announcement for an OVA/Special episode of this series!
_MushiRock11_Feb 3, 2019 12:41 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 22, 2018 11:40 AM

Feb 2017
I loved how original Gridman appeared. The battle was hype!

It was fun anime and quite an unusual ending. Tho it feels like it could have benefited by having more episodes.

Dec 22, 2018 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
garyborken said:

That's actually a really good theory and it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be legit.
Dec 22, 2018 11:42 AM

Jan 2009
rafi160 said:
deg said:

look at her clothes on the stand when she wakes up theres a doll of akane... most likely she was facing depression from school

the doll is too small for me to notice lol but yep most likely Akane got depression and is being bullied in real life thats why Alexis take advantage of that

this is really The Matrix the anime, they save the entire real world/earth inside the virtual world
Dec 22, 2018 11:44 AM

Jul 2015
Very fun show and quite nostalgic if you're acquainted with Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad. I didn't expect I would enjoy it so much. Good job Trigger!

Dec 22, 2018 11:46 AM

Aug 2016
Such a great ending, definetly a good anime! 8/10.
Nanika ga Okashii
Dec 22, 2018 11:46 AM

Jan 2009
VerySad_Weeb said:
garyborken said:

That's actually a really good theory and it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be legit.

he is not the only with that theory, a reddit user thinks that way too here
https://www.reddit.com/r/SSSSGRIDMAN/comments/a8n0ow/ssssgridman_episode_12_finale_link_discussion/ecc3d6c/

I almost wanna say Akane hated herself in the real world, so she made a version of herself (Rikka) that would love her so in a roundabout way, she'd finally love herself
Dec 22, 2018 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
Man, watching this anime felt like reliving my childhood, such an awesome ride it was. I just wish it felt less like a Trigger anime and more like a tokusatsu in anime form, but it was still good enough and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Here's hoping this isn't the last of Gridman we'll see in anime form.

Fingers crossed that the upcoming Ultraman anime can be better or at least as good as this one.
Dec 22, 2018 11:50 AM
Nov 2015
So, in the end it's not that they were living in a simulation, kinda, Akane was indeed a human neet and the worlds she created were the media pieces she consumed/created in real life and ended up absorbed into.
Dec 22, 2018 11:51 AM

Aug 2015
That ending went about as well as it could have. Still appalled that the series overall score isn't higher
Dec 22, 2018 11:59 AM
Dec 2015
Was that 3D Rikka at the end? Was Akane just the "bad girl" split-personality of Rikka in the dream world? Is that why the 3D world focuses on the pass wallet and earphones that look like the ones Rikka used? Foreshadowed in the End Credits, which used 3D background to hint at Rikka's true origin?
Dec 22, 2018 12:02 PM

Jan 2009
jaldaen said:
Was that 3D Rikka at the end? Was Akane just the "bad girl" split-personality of Rikka in the dream world? Is that why the 3D world focuses on the pass wallet and earphones that look like the ones Rikka used? Foreshadowed in the End Credits, which used 3D background to hint at Rikka's true origin?

nah its more like Akane's real world appearance is that of Rikka
Dec 22, 2018 12:03 PM
Mar 2016
Gridman Choose Yuta, because He only ppl who didnt fixed his heart to Akane
well more like typical Tokusatsu than Anime
tsuburaya x trigger doing more great job than tsuburaya x TOEI SHIT
Dec 22, 2018 12:04 PM
Dec 2015
deg said:

That makes sense, too. Thanks!
Dec 22, 2018 12:06 PM

Jan 2009
jaldaen said:
deg said:

That makes sense, too. Thanks!

im not the first one to think of that btw lol, look above the other post and you will see the first who notice that theory
Dec 22, 2018 12:06 PM

Apr 2010
Akane was a schizoid.

Schizoid personality disorder (/ˈskɪtsɔɪd, ˈskɪdzɔɪd/, often abbreviated as SPD or SzPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary or sheltered lifestyle, secretiveness, emotional coldness, detachment, and apathy. Affected individuals may be unable to form intimate attachments to others and simultaneously demonstrate a rich, elaborate, and exclusively internal fantasy world.

So her actual look is what Rikka looks like, and how she looked in her internal world is her idea of a cool, ideal look, and created her false self that looks like her real self to love her.
Dec 22, 2018 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
Have mixed feeling for the last two and half episodes and the ending but overall ended up way better than the initially I thought and not to mention some episodes in between were really impressive.
Have to admit I will never forget what the hell did I watch those last 10 second lol.
Dec 22, 2018 12:16 PM

Oct 2010
Theory about Akane and Rikka being the same person IRL is also what I had in mind for awhile now. It just seems to fit too well.

Seeing old Gridman (NOT IN CG!!) gave me chills. Amazing fights in this episode. Overall a fantastic episode and a fantastic story.

The live-action bit at the end was a beautiful touch and great way to end it.

Also the piano pieces in this episode were stunning
Dec 22, 2018 12:25 PM

May 2015
Such a kids show. Not that it's bad just couldn't care less. Great animation though.
Dec 22, 2018 12:26 PM
Mar 2018
GreenEmu said:

Well, without romance, drama and M Nite Shamalama twists you can't really get many views in these days. So, even if they shouldn't they simply couldn't not. Not after the disaster that was Darling in the Franxx...
Dec 22, 2018 12:29 PM
Mar 2018
So let me get this straight: It was all just a dream? A dream? What is this, Assassins Creed: Mecha Waifu Thot Wars; Friendship is Mechas?
Dec 22, 2018 12:30 PM
Feb 2017
Great ending that made me so happy.

This show had so much heart and love for gridman, tokusatsu in general, mecha and gainax and it just poured out. for me it delivered the promise the DiTF failed to deliver, and it was done with so much grace and kindness and passion.

The story surprisingly intimate and solid and the logic that it set was kept weekly.
the animation ramped up when it needed to, the villains were cool and intriguing and though the yuta was very mild (i think on purpose), the last two episodes cleared everything and made sense of him. i think it's cool that he was chosen because it felt like that was the massage that the show was delivering about being a hero and doing the right thing.

9/10 and my show of the year.

You don't have to, but feel free to say it with me...
TRIGGER SAVED ANIME AGAIN :)
Dec 22, 2018 12:43 PM

Nov 2017
9/10, loved it, I may be biased cuz im easily swayed by shows like these though

Dec 22, 2018 12:44 PM

Oct 2012
People who didn't watch the original Gridman trying desperately to make sense of the ending is the most amusing thing.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2018

103 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 22, 10:24 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

162 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 22, 10:18 AM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

83 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 7:37 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 6:47 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

113 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 12:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.