Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Dec 18, 2018 7:48 PM
Jan 2016
Good episode!

I wont tell that animation was bad, that it wasn't, just the middle of the fight, was kinda hard to follow, just because of background design i didn't felt completely satisfied! But, Asta's final blow on Ladros was epic and the black meteor part awell, and the way he finished the fight was so badass!

In my opinion the fight i enjoyed more was Lich vs Yami in the cave, i loved every single part of that fight, and followed easily! Completely epic!

I am glad to see that Asta had controled his power himself! And that first form was cool!

Mars and Fana ignoring Asta was priceless!

Of course that witch queen would be another antagonist, and after all their help, uses it to control Asta and take his swords into her control! That cliffhanger, i am so much hyped and curious to see what Vanessa will do!
Dec 18, 2018 8:17 PM

Apr 2016
Nice episode. Less cringe and more action!

Not a fan of the Fate/Apo (but worse) battle animation. Can't keep track of what's happening most of the time because of the bad background and some bad angles too.

But I really like the moment when Asta was about to "transform". It was done better than the battle itself. Well, it can't be helped coz the battle scene needs a lot of frames to work on. XD

Dec 18, 2018 9:56 PM

Oct 2017
Great episode! I was looking forward to seeing this animated!
Dec 18, 2018 11:19 PM

Aug 2013
Wow! Asta's first time as Black Asta, we should hype up this episode and make it as high quality as the final fight against Vetto!

*Production team: Yea that's a thought, but how about we make it look like shit instead?

B-but its a super important and badass fight, we should pump some production values into it

*Production team: *makes it look like shit*

Oh...ok then.

Seriously, this episode looked like absolute dogshit. Seeing people argue on here whether or not the art or the animation was bad is like watching a group of chimp and a group of baboons hurl shit at each other.

They were both bad. The art did have moments where it was good, or where it went a bit abstract for the sake of making it look unique, but at the times where it mattered it looked terrible (aka during 99% of the fight scenes). The animation was also atrocious. That flying scene barely looked like a flying scene, it looked like the bodies were being cut and pasted over random CGI trees, and just floating in nothingness. You can't honestly look at that and tell me it actually looked good.

If you want examples of where they dipped the art quality or changed the art style to make the most of the animation look at the final fight in Fate/Apocrypha or some of the fights in Grancrest Senki. THOSE are fights that prioritized the animation. THIS was just a shit low quality production episode. And if you still want to try and argue it just look at the final Vetto fight where Asta finally beats him. The animation quality was above and beyond the previous 40 something episodes combined, and the actual art stayed consistently good through like 85-90% of that episode. If this episode got that same treatment it would've been one of the best shounen fights in the last few years. Hell, if it even got half of the love and care of the Vetto fight it would've been at least above average. At BARE MINIMUM they should've made this episode on par with the YamixLicht fight in terms of quality. That fight was probably the second best art + animation in the show.
Dec 19, 2018 12:52 AM

Feb 2014
Obvious what they we're trying to do with the animation, just didnt seem like they had enough budget to do it all. First half of Ladros fight wasnt very good, second half things got better

Dec 19, 2018 1:10 AM
Jun 2017
I love how unlike many shounen MCs with a hidden power like Naruto, Meliodas, Yuu and Ichigo , Asta doesn't lose control and goes on a rampage when he gains his new power.
Dec 19, 2018 4:46 AM

Jan 2017
I've maintained this view from the start of the action in this anime, 'Black Clover' would benefit from having 'Devilman: Crybaby' animation or animation similar to its current Ending Theme -which it did; albeit, perhaps a little overkill. Nonetheless, it made for a great episode.

however, i actually thought Asta would be more than just that hero with zero deaths, but he's just that. he didn't kill that "salad" villain in the end... and I couldn't believe that it was a seemingly irrelevant villain that brought out the demon within -in any case, at least it didn't seem much like 'kyuubi' release in naruto but instead triggered in part by The Queen of Witches. pleasantly different.
But they (Studio Pierrot) left Tokyo Ghoul a shambles in their budgeting for these two releases, which is annoying -and the animation is probably dropping down next week as well.
(yet I'll remain optimistic)
Dec 19, 2018 5:07 AM

May 2017
100 times better than stupid anime i hate (naruto).
The first time I watched this anime, I knew that this anime would have a epic battle (royale)
Dec 19, 2018 5:29 AM

Oct 2017
tambi33 said:
brought out the demon within -in any case, at least it didn't seem much like 'kyuubi' release in naruto but instead triggered in part by The Queen of Witches. pleasantly different.

I see it more as ichigo and his hollow.
Dec 19, 2018 5:46 AM

Jan 2011
Of course the plebs who can't tell the difference between art style and animation espose themselves. Art style was a lot more fitting than Naruto vs Pain. Okay, it did look pretty bleh at some parts.

Anyway it looks like Asta's transformation isn't quite the super evil mode it looked like it'd be. That's actually pretty refreshing. Too bad someone else is here to control him anyway. No Petit Clover so you know this shit is serious!
Dec 19, 2018 7:13 AM

Jan 2013
Damn, what an episode! Asta was truly scary but i think that the little comedy it had, ruined the seriousness of the moment.
So, not having magic is what makes him truly special and unique, because nobody else could swing that sword.

It's funny, the queen of witches is so useless.... hope Asta beats the s*** out of her xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Dec 19, 2018 7:46 AM

May 2012
Best episode so far. But visuals look little weird, but still most entertaining episode so far and next episode looks good
Dec 19, 2018 8:07 AM
Apr 2018
honestly i don't get if yall like this episode or not
"actually the animation it's great, but they had to sacrifice the art"
NIGGA WHAT
so you admit it looks like shit?
Dec 19, 2018 9:32 AM
Dec 2018
The animation is garbage no doubt, it really put me off. Good episode but jesus I hope they don´t continue with this sloppy animation
Dec 19, 2018 9:57 AM
Jul 2014
could be a very epic episode.... but that animation... looks like the first Dragon Ball Super episodes.
Dec 19, 2018 10:14 AM

Dec 2014
so like what was with the distorted CG... I mean I am not complaining but it seemed a smash of animation from samurai jack and devilman..... Also did Asta reminded anyone of Devil Jin from Tekkan ...also that devil reference reminded me of Naruto and nine tales...or maybe its all i my head
Dec 19, 2018 10:49 AM

Jan 2009
howamI said:
NIGGA WHAT

NIGGA WHAT?

whats hard to understand there?

the easy to draw something then the better you can make animation out of it

in other words the drawings are so simple in this episode thats why the animators can freely draw more movements/animation or simply they can draw more frames to animate
Dec 19, 2018 11:14 AM
Apr 2018
deg said:
howamI said:
NIGGA WHAT

NIGGA WHAT?

in other words the drawings are so simple in this episode thats why the animators can freely draw more movements/animation or simply they can draw more frames to animate

so you admit it looks like shit
Dec 19, 2018 11:17 AM

Jan 2009
howamI said:
deg said:

NIGGA WHAT?

not really animation is not just about better drawings anyway

you got no idea what your talking about anyway and by that logic Naruto vs Pain fight is not sakuga to you too and just shit
Dec 19, 2018 11:23 AM
Nov 2017
Story was good. Transformation was amazing. But fight animation ruined it all. All I could see was fast moving trees and yellow/orange stains(bad explosions I guess) on the screen. Queen's animation was better than the actual fight.

We could only see Asta clearly on slowmo scenes and far away scenes. I guess they were too lazy to draw close up shots and they choose to draw two humanly figure far away. And fast moving, disorted trees. I can't forget about them ofcourse. There were a lot of them. Trees... Trees... Sanic fast treees...
DeccoyiDec 19, 2018 11:26 AM
Dec 19, 2018 11:25 AM
Apr 2018
deg said:
howamI said:

you got no idea what your talking about anyway and by that logic Naruto vs Pain fight is not sakuga to you too and just shit

yea i know nothing about animation, but neither do you, so
you don't have to be a full fledged animator to tell that this episode looks like ass
Dec 19, 2018 11:26 AM

Jan 2009
howamI said:
deg said:

yea i know nothing about animation, but neither do you, so
you don't have to be a full fledged animator to tell that this episode looks like ass

at least im informed of what sakuga is unlike you

sakuga is not just about better animation but also animation styles of the animators involved, that shit art style you referring to is actually just animation style of the animators involve in here
Dec 19, 2018 11:33 AM
Mar 2018
Khal_Russ said:
otaku_nerd7 said:
Finally the demon takes the center stage. Asta gains brand new powers and a transformation (a typical shounen trait). Although the animation according to me kind of felt off, it kept on toggling; sometimes it was sloppy and sometimes it was awesome and that includes the fight sequence between Asta and Ladros. The internal struggle for the body between Asta and the Demon reminded me the fight between Naruto and Kurama; when Kurama tried to gain control over Naruto's body ((Not saying that Black Clover ripped it off from Naruto, it's another one of shounen's old formulae when beasts and humans share the same body; kind of similar in Fairy Tail as well, though the concept was a bit different)). Nonetheless Black Clover has already carved its own niche!!!!!!!

the thing with fairy tail when u say the beast in human concept. were u talking about end??

Yes, but that's a different concept altogether
Dec 19, 2018 11:33 AM

Aug 2016
I must say, i'm in love with this anime, but this episode was a little bit too much.
Yes the animation was very well made but my point is that it didn't fit in.
I mean we're 63 episodes in and you suddenly introduce something new.
I don't know how many episodes were finished before the first one was released and how making of it evolved over time but it's still weird.
If i have any question it will surely be:
Why was it introduced so late?
We had other great fights during the last 62 episodes and they were perfect within the style of the anime, so it could've been used few more times.
For any people who will immediately jump me and say "If you don't like it just don't watch it". I'll just ignore you as i'm more confused then mad cause it was great fight scene but also very disorienting as for simply, why so late?
I hope my words will come across reasonable people and then i can get some interesting ways people see my statement.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Dec 19, 2018 11:35 AM

Jan 2009
HayTYouRFrienD said:
I must say, i'm in love with this anime, but this episode was a little bit too much.
Yes the animation was very well made but my point is that it didn't fit in.
I mean we're 63 episodes in and you suddenly introduce something new.
I don't know how many episodes were finished before the first one was released and how making of it evolved over time but it's still weird.
If i have any question it will surely be:
Why was it introduced so late?
We had other great fights during the last 62 episodes and they were perfect within the style of the anime, so it could've been used few more times.
For any people who will immediately jump me and say "If you don't like it just don't watch it". I'll just ignore you as i'm more confused then mad cause it was great fight scene but also very disorienting as for simply, why so late?
I hope my words will come across reasonable people and then i can get some interesting ways people see my statement.

its a staff rebellion due to poor working condition so they experimented with that kind of rough animation style, my sources are here https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1757006
Dec 19, 2018 11:36 AM
Mar 2018
Cazador75 said:
Z4k said:
The details are sacrificed for the sake of dynamic movement and camera angles that otherwise wouldn't have been possible. And no this is far better than Asta vs Vetto or the other ones.

otaku_nerd7 said:
High action packed scenes require fast pacing, if they go in for the details it slows down the frame speed, taking away the intensity and excitement from the fight scene eg: Asta vs Vetto on several occasions. So sometimes you just need to forget the details and increase the pace to create high intensity action scenes, yeah the animation gets a bit sloppy but it's up to the animator and the director how to cope up with it.

I agree that if you have a certain budget you have to do the best you can with it to adapt the story you have in mind.

But if it becomes a choice of wether to have an animation like the one in this episode, or the one that's been present in other important battles before this, for me it's a no-brainer, I don't choose this shit. I mean it seriously, it looks BAD.

I get that everyone has his opinion, but normally it's somewhat understandable from a certain point of view, but I can't understand anyone who defends this over the traditional animation in this series.

Yeah I get it what you mean. I am not defending anything here. I too was pissed off with the animation style, and the action sequence didn't excite me a bit considering how sloppy the animation was
Dec 19, 2018 1:36 PM

Jan 2015
First episode where I didn’t know what the hell was going on through most of it, the same way you hear people say that about the Bayformers movies, which I’ve never had a problem with, myself... What should’ve been a clear-cut, over-the-top slice of action, was a sloppy, unintelligible, visual mess. But, at least it got back on point with one hell of a cliffhanger.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Dec 19, 2018 3:32 PM
Dec 2018
A animação desse episódio foi a pior do anime inteiro, até agora eu não tinha nada para reclamar de qualquer parte do anime,mas a animação desse episódio FICOU UMA MERDA!
Dec 19, 2018 5:02 PM
May 2014
Well, the animation was better than this
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2018 6:34 PM

Mar 2015
Gui_BR said:
A animação desse episódio foi a pior do anime inteiro, até agora eu não tinha nada para reclamar de qualquer parte do anime,mas a animação desse episódio FICOU UMA MERDA!

Stop being a pleb/ pare de ser plebeu.
Dec 19, 2018 9:06 PM

Oct 2008
i wonder how much budget they spent animating 10 minutes of the first half of total chaos?!?
WEW! the Queen made this opportunity very useful to her! such despair coming out of her!
Queen's power is same as Raizel? (Noblesse!?)
looks like based from the next episode it's time for Vanessa to redeem herself!
no petit clover!
as expected, this series keeps getting better and better not the animation but the story!
5/5!

LOLZ so many saying Devilman Crybaby, Mob Psycho 100, Fate Apocrypha people lashing out comparisons!
matias067Dec 19, 2018 9:23 PM

Dec 19, 2018 9:36 PM

Aug 2013
Z4k said:
Jonesy974 said:
Wow! Asta's first time as Black Asta, we should hype up this episode and make it as high quality as the final fight against Vetto!

*Production team: Yea that's a thought, but how about we make it look like shit instead?

B-but its a super important and badass fight, we should pump some production values into it

*Production team: *makes it look like shit*

Oh...ok then.

Seriously, this episode looked like absolute dogshit. Seeing people argue on here whether or not the art or the animation was bad is like watching a group of chimp and a group of baboons hurl shit at each other.

They were both bad. The art did have moments where it was good, or where it went a bit abstract for the sake of making it look unique, but at the times where it mattered it looked terrible (aka during 99% of the fight scenes). The animation was also atrocious. That flying scene barely looked like a flying scene, it looked like the bodies were being cut and pasted over random CGI trees, and just floating in nothingness. You can't honestly look at that and tell me it actually looked good.

If you want examples of where they dipped the art quality or changed the art style to make the most of the animation look at the final fight in Fate/Apocrypha or some of the fights in Grancrest Senki. THOSE are fights that prioritized the animation. THIS was just a shit low quality production episode. And if you still want to try and argue it just look at the final Vetto fight where Asta finally beats him. The animation quality was above and beyond the previous 40 something episodes combined, and the actual art stayed consistently good through like 85-90% of that episode. If this episode got that same treatment it would've been one of the best shounen fights in the last few years. Hell, if it even got half of the love and care of the Vetto fight it would've been at least above average. At BARE MINIMUM they should've made this episode on par with the YamixLicht fight in terms of quality. That fight was probably the second best art + animation in the show.

ITT: plebs who don't understand there are different styles of animation

Oh shit, someone ACTUALLY justifying and excusing gif levels of animation as a "style". Yikes. Seek help chief.
Just to give you some study material young lad, Ping Pong is an example of different animation style. Ping Pong still didnt look like a power point slide that someone was manually trying to click through as fast as possible...Unlike this episode.
Dec 19, 2018 10:19 PM

Feb 2013
That fight really was hard as hell to follow.
Dec 19, 2018 10:27 PM
Jun 2017
Just love this episode as its an action pack episode... that first part is intense battle between Ladros and the demon asta...and look how powerful that demon asta form is, even a powerful magic cant stand that immersive power he has...

The second part is the witch vs asta and group. the queen sure is powerful as she is, as she cast high tier magic one after another...

great episode... more action, less talk...
Dec 20, 2018 12:45 AM
Aug 2018
This episode is over hype the animation is shit
Dec 20, 2018 3:03 AM

Aug 2013
Z4k said:
Jonesy974 said:

Oh shit, someone ACTUALLY justifying and excusing gif levels of animation as a "style". Yikes. Seek help chief.
Just to give you some study material young lad, Ping Pong is an example of different animation style. Ping Pong still didnt look like a power point slide that someone was manually trying to click through as fast as possible...Unlike this episode.

You should go to your nearest optician and get your eyes checked if you think any of these clips look like Power point slide lmao.

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/65607
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/65621
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/65617
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/65510
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/65505
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/65502

Embarrassing

Congrats. You managed to find a cumulative 3-4 minutes of footage out of a 24 minute episode. AND you managed to include the horribly drawn and animated tree chase scene as part of your "argument". Holy mother of autism batman.
Dec 20, 2018 8:12 AM
May 2016
renzospark said:
Great episode. I like how Asta can fully control his body, and the reason why he's getting berserk wasn't because the villain hurt his friends.

Next episode should be epic as well.. Vanessa will be the key character (as shown in the preview).

Username23489023 said:
They tried to pull a Mob Psycho 100, but eh, not bad for a continuing series.
To me, it's more like Naruto Shippuden (Naruto vs Pein), but with better art I guess.

Definitely felt like Naruto vs Pein.

Also Devilman Crybaby!
Dec 20, 2018 11:15 AM
Feb 2018
I dropped it directly after
Dec 20, 2018 3:33 PM

Jun 2016
MantraDesu said:
The animation is garbage no doubt, it really put me off. Good episode but jesus I hope they don´t continue with this sloppy animation

I really hope youre joking
Dec 20, 2018 3:43 PM
Dec 2018
theultimate341 said:
MantraDesu said:

Absolutely not, it was horrific by standards
Dec 20, 2018 3:49 PM

Jun 2016
MantraDesu said:
theultimate341 said:

Absolutely not, it was horrific by standards

The animation was great wtf were you watching or did you just dislike the different art choices? I really dont understand how anyone can call this animation bad lol.
Dec 20, 2018 6:07 PM

May 2015
Ok, the circumstances of the activation of Asta's powerup didn't convince me at all, but fuck it, what a great episode, I really loved the animation, perhaps the best episode of the series.
Dec 20, 2018 8:39 PM

Feb 2014
Jonesy974 said:

Seems like you don't know shit about animation dude. There's a Ohira-esque animation in this episode, which reminds me of Wanwa the doggy

And Ping Pong is the least impressive Yuasa in terms of animation. The transition after he left Madhouse which he could do whatever because Maruyama was there hurt him. Kemonozume, Kaiba, and Tatami Galaxy is a better animated Yuasa.

Devilman Crybaby tries to regain what he lost with the help of younger animators and almost fully produced in Flash, the same tools that some people used in this episode. While his old pal Michio Mihara abandons him because they clashed about the method he opt to use.

And in Lu no Uta, what Yuasa did to Ohira's animation was really questionable. It's almost like a blasphemy.
Dec 20, 2018 10:24 PM

Aug 2013
kyuudere said:
Jonesy974 said:

Seems like you don't know shit about animation dude. There's a Ohira-esque animation in this episode, which reminds me of Wanwa the doggy

And Ping Pong is the least impressive Yuasa in terms of animation. The transition after he left Madhouse which he could do whatever because Maruyama was there hurt him. Kemonozume, Kaiba, and Tatami Galaxy is a better animated Yuasa.

Devilman Crybaby tries to regain what he lost with the help of younger animators and almost fully produced in Flash, the same tools that some people used in this episode. While his old pal Michio Mihara abandons him because they clashed about the method he opt to use.

And in Lu no Uta, what Yuasa did to Ohira's animation was really questionable. It's almost like a blasphemy.

The scene you're referencing wasn't even one of the bad scenes. All of the bad art and animation were during the actual fighting. I dont think a single person, myself included had anything negative to say about his inner conscious scene. Not sure what compelled you to try and start an argument.
Dec 20, 2018 11:16 PM

Feb 2014
Jonesy974 said:

The scene you're referencing wasn't even one of the bad scenes. All of the bad art and animation were during the actual fighting. I dont think a single person, myself included had anything negative to say about his inner conscious scene. Not sure what compelled you to try and start an argument.

And I'm not sure what compelled you to attack people who found the webgen style action attractive. That's a bigger yikes from me.
Dec 20, 2018 11:33 PM

Aug 2013
kyuudere said:
Jonesy974 said:

And I'm not sure what compelled you to attack people who found the webgen style action attractive. That's a bigger yikes from me.

Because webgen fight scenes look like shit? There's a reason Studio Pierrot uses that as their go-to format for episodes in their shows that are both fight heavy and bottom of the list in the budget. Spoiler alert, its not for style. And there's also a reason its widely criticized when they inevitably do it in every shounen show they do.
Dec 21, 2018 12:23 AM

Dec 2015
I understood nothing at all from the first part of the combat, it would have been less confusing if there was a background. Then on the second half I could see trees painted by 5 years old kids, Asta's moving hair was glorious. The flame spreading seemed to have been taken out of a snes game, then some curvy bold lines appeared for intensity. Then a fire attack was shown with low quality background and dots randomly added on paint. Then I finally could see what I can call a "different acceptable art" with Asta being pushed through the trees by the villain's fire. The fire animation after this part looks like fire. Then Asta is walking, is that CGI??? The final parts were also bad, but I couldn't think of something to compare them with. I also wanna mention the frame rate went just as low as when I try to play Skyrim on my computer at some points.

If all these things can be justified by being a "different art style", man... I do hate this art style, I had to pause and get some fresh air before I could continue, I couldn't watch it in one go, it managed to be twice as hard to watch for me when compared with Ajin, which I ended up dropping.
Dec 21, 2018 5:05 AM

Nov 2016
They Put all there budget on this one episode Great job... xd
All jokes aside brilliant episode.. the fight scene was so damn good sheesh
“𝔖𝔬π”ͺ𝔒𝔱𝔦π”ͺ𝔒𝔰 𝔦𝔱’𝔰 π”«π”’π” π”’π”°π”°π”žπ”―π”Ά 𝔱𝔬 𝔑𝔬 π”²π”«π”«π”’π” π”’π”°π”°π”žπ”―π”Ά 𝔱π”₯𝔦𝔫𝔀𝔰.”

Dec 21, 2018 10:44 AM
Sep 2016
Sakuga here, Sakuga there.
Shit stays shit.
C'mon. Be honest.
When that should be a epic fighting scene becomes really hard to follow and hard to understand what's happening(only sparkling lights and braking trees for minutes)...it has no value.
Obviously not the entire episode.
But that part of fight..it was pretty a waste of time.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2020

75 by DrCarlosRamos »»
Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 144 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2020

35 by Vindicater »»
Yesterday, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 143 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2020

49 by Vindicater »»
Yesterday, 3:49 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 142 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2020

71 by Vindicater »»
Apr 24, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 141 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2020

75 by Vindicater »»
Apr 23, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.