Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 24, 2018 6:52 AM

Mar 2018
so, as a result of hours of discussion with the admins in discord about what qualify as an anime, and bringing up technical flaws in the definition of mal and the admins covering it up with new points never stated in the standard defintion, i came up with the most consistent definition of mal:

an anime is an animated product produced in china, Taiwan, Hong Kong, north Korea, south Korea, Japan.

note: if the show is not directly made from those mentioned places and fall into those technical aspects, read this: if the product is aired as an ONA, or in a foreign land Only, and the the staff are mostly not from those mentioned places then they will be disqualified, if it does have a mostly staff of the mentioned places, but does not have a JP dub with the exceptions for silent shows, or not based/related to a Qualified material from those mentioned places,that means dis-qualification, if the material is a web based and not made by a person from those mentioned places or does not have a JP version with the exception of visual only web material, then it does not Qualify as an anime.

i decoded mal secret, i shall burn in hell

PhantomnocomicsAug 24, 2018 7:44 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 24, 2018 6:56 AM

May 2013
Whoa, are there any anime produced in North Korea?
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 24, 2018 6:58 AM

Aug 2012
What did I just read? Anime is from Japan. We don't call it "Japanese anime".
Aug 24, 2018 7:02 AM

Jun 2017
Dude and i thought anime was originally produced in France. I'm so dumb.

Aug 24, 2018 7:04 AM
Jul 2018
well i think your "information" is wrong but good for you i guess
Aug 24, 2018 7:05 AM

May 2018
No.

Anime is literally cartoon. I don't care what neckbeards at MAL think what it means.

Mar 2015
Ok, but I don't think anyone cares..

Mar 2018
n
Shadow_Link said:

nope total legit, ask any question and i shall answer!
Aug 24, 2018 7:06 AM

Mar 2018
Jare4lopez said:
Dude and i thought anime was originally produced in France. I'm so dumb.

some were according to mal definition, so yeah
Aug 24, 2018 7:06 AM

Mar 2018
Monster said:

not according to myanimelist, amigo, XD
Aug 24, 2018 7:08 AM

Mar 2018
KreatorX said:
Whoa, are there any anime produced in North Korea?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/18007/Dalam-iwa_Goseumdochi

Enjoy this indoctrination in your life!
Aug 24, 2018 7:09 AM
Jul 2018
Phantomnocomics said:
n
Shadow_Link said:

again good for you

you can keep believing in your made up info most likely to try to be funny but i or i think anyone for that matter doesn't care
Aug 24, 2018 7:09 AM

Mar 2018
Mirai said:
Ok, but I don't think anyone cares..

of course not, why would a ONE cares! XD
Aug 24, 2018 7:10 AM

May 2014
All you really did was waste a few hours of your life, so good for you I guess.
Aug 24, 2018 7:12 AM

Mar 2018
Shadow_Link said:
Phantomnocomics said:
n

again good for you

you can keep believing in your made up info most likely to try to be funny but i or i think anyone for that matter doesn't care

you are not helping your case by stating an opinion though, you could help by stating a fact?, you know what they say about assumptions

look up, Yu gi oh capsul mosnters and compare it to ogrest the legend

ONA made by Japan with No JP dub or relation to a material of that kind

and Yu gi oh, a movie made by JP and aired in USA only with no JP dub but related to a material even if a filler and not an adapation of any kind

like i said, i talked this over in discord while trying to add ogrest the legend, appreaciate the work!
Aug 24, 2018 7:12 AM

Mar 2018
Ericonator said:
All you really did was waste a few hours of your life, so good for you I guess.

True, but the change start with a ONE!
Aug 24, 2018 7:14 AM

Mar 2018
Only_Brad said:
No.

Anime is literally cartoon. I don't care what neckbeards at MAL think what it means.

depends though, sometimes cartoon is associated with Goofy animations

would you count a Hyper realistic drawing/animation of a human a cartoon?
Aug 24, 2018 7:17 AM

Aug 2015
The definition of the anime can differ depending on how much weeb you are.
I personally call anime all Japanese cartoons and non-Japanese cartoons using same style of animation (like rwby or castlevania). Just to piss off weebs.
Aug 24, 2018 7:20 AM
Jul 2018
Phantomnocomics said:
Shadow_Link said:

again good for you

you are not helping your case by stating an opinion though, you could help by stating a fact?, you know what they say about assumptions

and Yu gi oh, a movie made by JP and aired in USA only with no JP dub but related to a material even if a filler and not an adapation of any kind

like i said, i talked this over in discord while trying to add ogrest the legend, appreaciate the work!

what point of no one cares dont you understand

and the Yu-Gi-Oh Capsule Monsters first of all i dont know why your bringing this up but what ever i mean it wasnt that grate the only good rhing to come out of it was Yami in a Dark Magician armor the reason why it had no JP dub was because it was commissioned, produced, and edited by 4kids and im pretty sure that was why 4kids got in the load of legal shit they did

and i'll appreciate what i want and im not going to appreciate this
Aug 24, 2018 7:21 AM

Aug 2012
Phantomnocomics said:
Monster said:

Ah, so I think I misunderstood the thread. Yeah, I think there are certain anime from America etc that should be on this site, but it also sets the precedent of what's anime and not. Keeping it to Japan or the country that produce the most of it should have their animated series labeled as "anime" and be available on this site. Heard China is pretty up there
Aug 24, 2018 7:23 AM

Oct 2014
Family Guy is still my favorite Anime.
Aug 24, 2018 7:24 AM

Mar 2018
UrbanSpaceman said:
The definition of the anime can differ depending on how much weeb you are.
I personally call anime all Japanese cartoons and non-Japanese cartoons using same style of animation (like rwby or castlevania). Just to piss off weebs.

what a wise hermits, Imo

but in actuality, the art style that was developed in japan during the post war era was inspired by disney works and made it into something new by the God father of anime, Tezuka, the creator of Astro boy and Kimba, ''what true liong king'', hence explaining the Big Eyes, and the trend continues to this day

there is no definitive origin of the art style as art dates back to beginning of history itself, so it's better be said as a universal art style whether it be realistic or abstract

but for the most part, Aeni/koreanimation, donghua/chinanimation, or anime/japanimation, animé/frenchanimation, all mean the same thing, animation in their respective language

the use of term for foreigners differ in how they associate the word with its home of origin.

hope this was a great response!
Aug 24, 2018 7:29 AM

Mar 2018
Shadow_Link said:
Phantomnocomics said:

and the Yu-Gi-Oh Capsule Monsters first of all i dont know why your bringing this up but what ever i mean it wasnt that grate the only good rhing to come out of it was Yami in a Dark Magician armor the reason why it had no JP dub was because it was commissioned, produced, and edited by 4kids and im pretty sure that was why 4kids got in the load of legal shit they did

of course, no-one cares, why would a NO-one cares, XD jokes aside

you are free not to engage in the conversation at your own free will.

as for why Yu-gi-oh Capsul is mentioned, it's because it's one of the core points i'm stating, Quality of the show aside, Yes, it was produced by Japan for foreigners, but as Masaaki Yuasa once said, almost all shows nowadays are made for global appeal. why would they remove a JP dub for a global appeal for one show and not the others?

like said above, free thoughts, great feedback

Aug 24, 2018 7:30 AM

Mar 2018
Nithirel said:

true, but doesn't top gumball, the chinese version

https://myanimelist.net/anime/37833/Q%C3%ADj%C4%AB_x%C4%ABng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxBYzEjeZA
Aug 24, 2018 7:34 AM

Mar 2018
Monster said:
Phantomnocomics said:

Ah, so I think I misunderstood the thread. Yeah, I think there are certain anime from America etc that should be on this site, but it also sets the precedent of what's anime and not. Keeping it to Japan or the country that produce the most of it should have their animated series labeled as "anime" and be available on this site. Heard China is pretty up there

Yep, Imo, mark my words, china will become N.1 at producing anime ''according to mal'' by the end of the next decade, XD
Aug 24, 2018 7:37 AM

Mar 2015
chinese animation called donghua, korean animation called aeni... just like there is manga, manhua, and manhwa... so i agreed that chinese and korean animation should included to database... they need to differentiate them tho...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 24, 2018 7:38 AM

Aug 2014
Nithirel said:

In Japan, they call all animation anime. :D
Aug 24, 2018 7:42 AM

Mar 2018
SadMadoka said:
Nithirel said:

In Japan, they call all animation anime. :D

XD, isn't that the same for almost all words that mean animations in their own languages.

the association of anime and its home of origin is just a misnomered foreign terminology!

well played, weebs, well played ''slow claps''
Aug 24, 2018 7:42 AM

Mar 2018
Kuma said:
chinese animation called donghua, korean animation called aeni... just like there is manga, manhua, and manhwa... so i agreed that chinese and korean animation should included to database... they need to differentiate them tho...

definitely, great thought and feedback!
Aug 24, 2018 7:54 AM
Jul 2018
Phantomnocomics said:
Shadow_Link said:

as for why Yu-gi-oh Capsul is mentioned, it's because it's one of the core points i'm stating, Quality of the show aside, Yes, it was produced by Japan for foreigners, but as Masaaki Yuasa once said, almost all shows nowadays are made for global appeal. why would they remove a JP dub for a global appeal for one show and not the others?

grate because your jokes where bad anyway

they most likely remove the dub because they where trying to target a more US and European audience because at the time Yu-Gi-Oh was very popular so 4kids most likely used it as a cheep cash in and also the original Japanese version was never publicly released but its still listed on studio Gallop's website as "Yu-Gi-Oh ALEX"

and if you want proof read the first paragraph

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yu-Gi-Oh!_Capsule_Monsters_episodes
Aug 24, 2018 8:11 AM

Aug 2015
Just wait 10 years... probably even Western or Russian cartons will be considered Anime. heck, a lot of retards constantly ask if The Last Air bender is considered an Anime.

And for that matter, why would anyone consider a f*** 30 sec TV commercial an Anime? Well, that shows you how desperate are some uses to pad their list with useless stuff.
Aug 24, 2018 8:12 AM

Mar 2018
Shadow_Link said:
Phantomnocomics said:

they most likely remove the dub because they where trying to target a more US and European audience because at the time Yu-Gi-Oh was very popular so 4kids most likely used it as a cheep cash in and also the original Japanese version was never publicly released but its still listed on studio Gallop's website as "Yu-Gi-Oh ALEX"

i guess grate is a Joke too.

Netflix: produced devilman via a JP studio and licensed the material and got a JP Dub

4kids: Produced Yu gi oh capsul monsters via a JP studio and licensed the material but not a JP Dub

difference between those two is that material owner intended to release it for the JP audience, while Konami didn't have an interest, so that falls in Konami lack of interest simple as that

4kids is an English Licensor, expecting them to release a JP dub is the same as expecting a JP Studio to release an English Dub, it's unreal.

there was no release of a JP Dub. simple as that

Aug 24, 2018 8:13 AM

Aug 2012
Phantomnocomics said:
Monster said:

Yep, Imo, mark my words, china will become N.1 at producing anime ''according to mal'' by the end of the next decade, XD

Lol, it will truly become "Chinese cartoons" at this rate, eh?
Aug 24, 2018 8:13 AM

Mar 2018
KuuhakuDesu said:
I wonder if the recently announced High Guardian Spice will be seen as anime by MAL - since I believe many won't acknowledge it as such.

If western anime becomes a real thing, MAL's definition of anime might need to change.

that one!, Crunchyroll is launching a full assault in anyone who says it's not an anime!, watch out what you wish for!

true that!
Aug 24, 2018 8:14 AM

Mar 2018
Puchkov said:
Just wait 10 years... probably even Western or Russian cartons will be considered Anime. heck, a lot of retards constantly ask if The Last Air bender is considered an Anime.

And for that matter, why would anyone consider a f*** 30 sec TV commercial an Anime? Well, that shows you how desperate are some uses to pad their list with useless stuff.

fun fact, a part of Japan is russian, so technically russian cartoons are anime, XDDDDDD

but yeah, you are right
Aug 24, 2018 8:15 AM
Aug 2011
Monster said:

There are some Chinese-produced series included in the database, but it's usually after they have had a Japanese dub released.
Aug 24, 2018 8:17 AM

Apr 2014
the real question is what are these taiwan anime
Aug 24, 2018 8:19 AM

Mar 2014
All I know is that whatever the definition is, High Guardian Spice Girls is not an anime
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 24, 2018 8:24 AM
Aug 2011
Monster said:
Phantomnocomics said:

I don't agree that it should happen.

Should an American show that looks like Pokemon be added, just because it looks like Pokemon, and Pokemon is anime?

How about a show that looks like Panty & Stocking? Panty & Stocking is an anime, and Invader Zim or Powerpuff Girls look a lot like Panty & Stocking, so naturally we should add Invader Zim, Powerpuff Girls , Dexter's Lab, etc to the list of anime on MAL.

Then again, classic Disney heavily resembles Tezuka animes such as Unico, Kimba the White Lion and other similar ones. Disney films belong here too.

~~~

The problem here, is that if you want to exclude my suggestion of adding the entire Disney backlog to myanimelist, then you need to explain why MY favorite anime (hypothetically) Kimba The White Lion "doesn't count" when defining "true anime style" and YOUR favorite anime (hypothetically) Pokemon does count. Are we going to devolve into a shitfest argument about the "one true anime style"? Because that's the floodgate that such a move would open up.

These are the reasons they *don't* go down that route. Not Myanimelist, not AniDB, not Anime News Network, not nyaa.si, not anyone. That's because if we let one person's favorite western cartoon be listed, we need to extend that courtesy to *everyone*, even people who like shows YOU don't think should be added to "anime".

It's either (1) exclude all western shows, or (2) allow complete carte-blank and you're not allowed to get upset about ANY show being called an anime. There is no workable middle ground here. You can't *exclude* my shows while also demanding to *include* your shows.

It's not mal being snowflakes or weebs, it's just good common sense about avoiding the whole community erupting into constant arguments and confusion. Also, if every different site cannot even agree on what's anime or not, then the different sites are going to be in constant feuds with each other too. So, the definition of anime used by MAL is informed by the definition used by the major sites as a whole. MAL and similar database sites just cannot afford a subjective opinion on what's anime. A database site doesn't have the luxury of that wiggle-room on definitions.
cipheronAug 24, 2018 8:39 AM
Aug 24, 2018 8:25 AM
Jul 2018
Phantomnocomics said:
Shadow_Link said:

Netflix: produced devilman via a JP studio and licensed the material and got a JP Dub

4kids: Produced Yu gi oh capsul monsters via a JP studio and licensed the material but not a JP Dub

difference between those two is that material owner intended to release it for the JP audience, while Konami didn't have an interest, so that falls in Konami lack of interest simple as that

4kids is an English Licensor, expecting them to release a JP dub is the same as expecting a JP Studio to release an English Dub, it's unreal.

yes their is no JP dub because it was commissioned, produced, and edited by 4kids but its still listed on Studio Gallop website but because it was never released in Japan and it still being listed on their website under Yu-Gi-Oh ALEX for all we know that could be the missing JP dub but since it was never publicly released we will never know

i dont see what your trying to prove by this
Aug 24, 2018 8:25 AM

Dec 2017
if it's made by a japanese anime studio then it's probably anime
Aug 24, 2018 8:27 AM
Jan 2016
Thank you for clearing the mystery. Though that's one weird definition. Well, just like I always said, it's just MAL staff being MAL staff.
Aug 24, 2018 8:29 AM

Feb 2010
Lmao after your thread about Charlotte and your definition of 'adaption' I doubt very much that any definition you come up with would ever be true to anything.

But then again, nothing OP mentioned is really news, MAL has been using that definition since forever and I'm just confused why anyone would think it is some big secret they uncovered. I guess some people have a lot of imagination.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 24, 2018 8:37 AM

Mar 2018
Pullman said:
Lmao after your thread about Charlotte and your definition of 'adaption' I doubt very much that any definition you come up with would ever be true to anything.

But then again, nothing OP mentioned is really news, MAL has been using that definition since forever and I'm just confused why anyone would think it is some big secret they uncovered. I guess some people have a lot of imagination.

kind of, i thought of positing it after spending a lot of time talking to mal admins in discord since i was shocked at how bizarre the true definition was and how no one posted about it, XD
Aug 24, 2018 8:38 AM

Mar 2018
TheServant said:
Thank you for clearing the mystery. Though that's one weird definition. Well, just like I always said, it's just MAL staff being MAL staff.

Exactly, amigo, you nailed it.

''mal staff be lurking around''
Aug 24, 2018 8:39 AM

Jan 2017
Whaddafug is this bulls*** reading this from just serves to confuse me...
Anime (pronounced ah-nee-meh) is as Japanese play on the word animation; Japanese we this word to refer to global animation, it is the rest of the world that associated it with Japanese animation -and in some cases, following the stylisation of Japanese animation.
Can it not just stay that way, 'cause it seems to be an irritating debate.

EDIT?
uninstallthegame said:

Sums up my point

EDIT AGAIN?
I think another point to be considered is:
Is the source of the source material sourced from Japan etc. For example, a manga or light novel (this wouldn't work in all cases though)

P.S.
I have a feeling this guy is doing this for kicks, 'cause I feel stupid for feeling compelled to write something
tidoesstuffAug 24, 2018 8:56 AM
Aug 24, 2018 8:47 AM

Mar 2018
uninstallthegame said:

i'm confused, how did he manage to make it so complicated in such a short time?

it's simple, an animated complete product by/for japan/other ''insert''
Aug 24, 2018 8:48 AM

Oct 2013
Phantomnocomics said:
Only_Brad said:
No.

depends though, sometimes cartoon is associated with Goofy animations

would you count a Hyper realistic drawing/animation of a human a cartoon?

Yes,yes I would. Any animation no matter how realistic can be considered a cartoon.
Aug 24, 2018 8:57 AM

Dec 2016
so is this the kind of things people use discord for?
Aug 24, 2018 9:08 AM

Mar 2018
Shadow_Link said:
Phantomnocomics said:

yes their is no JP dub because it was commissioned, produced, and edited by 4kids but its still listed on Studio Gallop website but because it was never released in Japan and it still being listed on their website under Yu-Gi-Oh ALEX for all we know that could be the missing JP dub but since it was never publicly released we will never know

i dont see what your trying to prove by this

here is a short verion of what i said that's simple

don't expect 4-kids, an english licensor to produce a JP dub, reason why there is no JP dub is because konami had no interest.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Has there been an anime fanbase that hyped up their anime so much that you were turned off from watching it?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

7 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
14 seconds ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

50 by luckyrune »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 13 minutes ago

1 by rohan121 »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 37 minutes ago

5 by delirific »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.