Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 22, 2018 8:32 PM

Jul 2016
I'm curious but not judging. What kind of education do you have and why? If you want to tell us your educational goals do so in the comments. If you have or are getting a degree to tell me what kind.

I graduated High school and will be going to University for an Education degree.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 22, 2018 8:35 PM

Feb 2010
graudated from college and left college when i knew what i wanted to do.

as for why?

high school doesn't do the best job in the U.S of setting people up for what they want to do in life. college helps find that i wouldn't say in my case it was necessary to gradate once i knew what i wanted to do, as what i wanted to do did not require a degree. However i do recommend college if you need to pick up skills for your profession.

if you already have the skills and know what you want to do then i have one thing to say.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Aug 22, 2018 8:39 PM

May 2014
I went into 6th grade middle school. moved, Around 7th grade after having
a horrible year in the new town and some poor upkeep from my parents.
I dropped out without really knowing till a year or two later.

Never been back to school since. I now live as a hikikomori making
ends meet doing freelance graphic design and music work for myself
and other clients.
PART OF LIDDELL RECORDS
Aug 23, 2018 1:02 AM
Jul 2018
just graduated high school this year and starting uni in late september
Aug 23, 2018 1:05 AM

Dec 2016
Graduated from university with a business and economics degree.
Aug 23, 2018 1:21 AM
Mar 2018
BA Sociology .

All though I am also a failed computer engineer . Though I didn't complete it as I dropped out in last year .
You can't see me , My Time is Now 😎
Aug 23, 2018 1:21 AM

Sep 2011
Just a College undergrad. The reason why I stop is because I don't like the course that I was taking. That wasted 3-4 years of my life.
TennoujiAug 23, 2018 1:26 AM

Aug 23, 2018 1:59 AM

Jan 2016
I just graduated from high school and i took some courses on my own to get the certificates as a PLC installer and maintenance technician and as CNC operator.

Now i work with CNC machines.

Aug 23, 2018 2:27 AM

Oct 2017
I'm studying Civil Engineering in a university... I just felt like doing it...
Aug 23, 2018 2:27 AM

Aug 2018
I graduated high-school a year ago, going into my second year of Law school this year. I'm going for a master at least, but I'm not certain if I want to do my master at my current university.
TloakAug 23, 2018 2:31 AM
Aug 23, 2018 2:33 AM

Jan 2009
i graduated with a computer science degree
Aug 23, 2018 2:39 AM

Mar 2016
I dropped out in 10th grade when gone to public High School and got my GED back when lived in the United States.

Before that had gone to Residential School for Deaf and hard of hearing students.
I barely passed 9th grade in public High School and would have gone crazy if had to put up with all that stuff for three more years.
One of them being what made me dislike White people for few years.
Was mostly white school, since im Asian i was minority and got bullied for it.
Add being hard of hearing with speech problem talking mostly in sign language always being made fun of for it.
Other one that made it even more hard for me was.
In my file it had where i needed few simple accommodations but none of the Teachers at the school care at all so never got any of them.
The accommodations needed where very simple so was not like was asking for lot.
One was i needed be sitting around the front of the class so can hear what the teacher is saying.
My assigned desk in most my classes where in the back of the class where was unable to hear the Teacher most the time.
American high school classes have tons of background sound so even with hearing aids it was very hard to focus on what the teacher was saying over it all.
Would want hearing aids to pick up what the teacher is saying but they would pick up the students close to you who where not doing there work just messing around being loud.
Other simple accommodation was sometimes i needed teacher to repeat or rephrase something where can hear and understand it.
Most the teachers would not do any of that so if students did not hear them Oh well, they did not care and they would not repeat or rephrase anything.
The last accommodation was be patient with me.
If going ask me something give me time to understand what you asked before i try to or give you answer to what you asked me.
Most the Teachers if they ask you something wanted instant answer the moment adter they asked it.
Deal with with all that for year... Yeah NO! I'm was not going deal with all that for three more years without going crazy.

The community college where was taking classes to get my GED where just fine.
The classrooms where small and if students had or needed simple accommodations they staff had no problems working with them.
Most of the work was done on Computer and the Teacher would walk around helping students if they needed help.

Aug 23, 2018 3:42 AM

Sep 2017
i'm in middle school lmao
i hope i'm a video game developer when i'm older though
Edward Elric > your waifu

Aug 23, 2018 4:14 AM

Feb 2015
Soon, I'll get my degree of being the best loli imouto mahou shoujo UwU
Aug 23, 2018 4:19 AM

Jul 2007
Studied history in university. Probably would've been better off doing an appenticeship or something.
Aug 23, 2018 4:20 AM
Jul 2018
This site is all the education you need.
Aug 23, 2018 6:37 AM

Apr 2016
im still in school but cause i'm british we call it secondary school and i'm in the sixth form of my secondary school

one flower that continues to struggle for
blossom is more beautiful than a gem

Aug 23, 2018 9:51 AM

Jul 2016
Brooke said:
im still in school but cause i'm british we call it secondary school and i'm in the sixth form of my secondary school

Does that mean you’re in grade 12?
Aug 23, 2018 10:01 AM

Aug 2014
I was a child prodigy of sorts. Even as a little kid, I probably had a better overall education than most college students. I owned countless science books and would read through encyclopedias and dictionaries, for instance. I dropped out of college in 2006 to blaze my own path.

I think asking someone how "educated" they are is meaningless, at any rate, since that often only tells you how proficient they are at following orders and repeating what they've been told; not how knowledgeable or intelligent they actually are.
Aug 23, 2018 10:48 AM

Jan 2017
college dropout. felt like pursuing my dreams.
i understand that the education system may work for some and is required for certain professions.
what i really disliked was the dogma and the people i was surrounded by.
Aug 23, 2018 10:58 AM
Jul 2016
we're all privileged bastards in other words. on the other hand, clearly uni is pointless as I highly doubt many mal lurkers have high-end jobs
Aug 23, 2018 11:14 AM

Aug 2016
I just graduated from high-school and going into a economic college (im french), it's just so that I have something to do, I'm learning japanese on the side and still trying to improve my english. Might end up being a french/english teacher in japan maybe. Let the man dream a little.
we do a little bit of headbanging here
Aug 23, 2018 12:42 PM

Jan 2009
My highest degree is a high school degree, but that's not really telling much about the quality of education, though at the time I've finished my A-levels, my Federal State/Country was considered to be one of the best in the Federal Republic of Germany.

Most of my trivia knowledge about general facts is something I got through memorizing the answers of a quiz book.

Aside from that, I've read through various encyclopedias, articles on the Internet and print media to gather additional knowledge aside from text books or what I've learnt in school.

I could do more about my actual education by reading Bildungsromane, plus other classic books, and visit theater plays on my own to witness more of my own culture and to get behind what the writer had possibly in mind, but alone the will is lacking (that type of phrasing is btw. similar to a sentence from Goethe's Faust which I was supposed to read, but didn't really do so outside class and for which I know some famous quotes, and the rough plot line, but that's about it).

I use this strategy for solving mathematical and all kinds of other problems:

1) you look through the paradigmatic examples and their solutions, until you understand how they work

2) from there, you derive the basic principles and the rules

3) then, you apply your knowledge in the other examples and learn how to do them

Sorting the information at the beginning about what is already given and what is missing can be very helpful.

There is more than one side in a conflict and when it comes to most subjects.

"I know that I know nothing" - everything that is regarded as "knowledge" should be scrutinized, the further away it is from mathematics.

0+1=1 & 0-1=-1

SadMadoka said:
I think asking someone how "educated" they are is meaningless, at any rate, since that often only tells you how proficient they are at following orders and repeating what they've been told; not how knowledgeable or intelligent they actually are.
You're the first one who has seen through it; very well done at recognizing the Prussian education system of repetition and obedience towards authority.
Aug 23, 2018 12:46 PM

Aug 2012
Noboru said:

0+1=1 & 0-1=-1

0+1 = 01, don't trick us with your nazism pls.
Aug 23, 2018 1:00 PM

Jan 2009
Yarub said:
Noboru said:

0+1=1 & 0-1=-1

lol, do you really not know that zero plus one equals one? Then let me explain: when you have no apples and someone gives you one apple, how many apples do you have?

We're btw. not talking about RAID-levels
Aug 23, 2018 1:02 PM

Aug 2012
Noboru said:
Yarub said:

lol, do you really not know that zero plus one equals one? Then let me explain: when you have no apples and someone gives you one apple, how many apples do you have?
The other person has one less apple. Is that correct?
Aug 23, 2018 1:03 PM

Jan 2009
Yarub said:
Noboru said:
That information is correct, but that does not answer my question. Also, see my edit above:

Aug 23, 2018 1:12 PM

Aug 2012
Noboru said:
Yarub said:
That information is correct, but that does not answer my question. Also, see my edit above:

of course it's correct. I'm actually surprised you thought I didn't know. But I also have one question for you, do you really not know that 01 = 1? It's just a digital representation.

The fuck is a RAID- levels?
Aug 23, 2018 1:27 PM
Aug 2016
I finished university this year on July. I have a degree as an engineer-designer. I would like to go to master too, but I kind of made my mind in a way. Maybe I'll made my mind again and still go to master.
Should I tell that I was in top 3 from my class when I was in Highschool? Oops, it seems that I already said it.
Aug 23, 2018 1:41 PM

Jan 2009
Yarub said:
of course it's correct. I'm actually surprised you thought I didn't know. But I also have one question for you, do you really not know that 01 = 1? It's just a digital representation.
Did you know that when doing calculations in another base system, your supposed to write the number of the base system below the numbers?

Because, by default, the 10 base system is used. If you want to calculate in binary terms, you should write: 01₂ = 0 + 1

It's a type of data storage virtualization technology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels
Aug 23, 2018 1:50 PM
Aug 2016
_Ako_ said:
Soon, I'll get my degree of being the best loli imouto mahou shoujo UwU

Wow, that's impressive. Not everyone can get that kind of degree. Congrats.
Aug 23, 2018 1:54 PM
Jul 2016
Noboru said:
Yarub said:

what is this thread I don't even
Aug 23, 2018 4:59 PM

Jan 2017
Noboru said:
Yarub said:
Did you know that when doing calculations in another base system, your supposed to write the number of the base system below the numbers?

Because, by default, the 10 base system is used. If you want to calculate in binary terms, you should write: 01₂ = 0 + 1

It's a type of data storage virtualization technology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels

I get you, Noboru. lol I think RAID levels and binary/base systems bsod'd his brain though.

Aug 23, 2018 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
I finished my first year at collage in about a just over a week im going to start my second year on an IT coarse
Aug 23, 2018 5:18 PM

Sep 2017
Went to university, honestly I don't think it mattered much. There are people at my work place without a degree and have what matters more: world class talent and motivation to do more than "just the job". I probably could have become a game developer without the BSc.
Aug 23, 2018 6:46 PM

Aug 2017
this is ageist what if i have not started any of these yet?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2018 6:53 PM

Jul 2016
Hanako_San1992 said:
I dropped out in 10th grade when gone to public High School and got my GED back when lived in the United States.

Before that had gone to Residential School for Deaf and hard of hearing students.
I barely passed 9th grade in public High School and would have gone crazy if had to put up with all that stuff for three more years.
One of them being what made me dislike White people for few years.
Was mostly white school, since im Asian i was minority and got bullied for it.
Add being hard of hearing with speech problem talking mostly in sign language always being made fun of for it.
Other one that made it even more hard for me was.
In my file it had where i needed few simple accommodations but none of the Teachers at the school care at all so never got any of them.
The accommodations needed where very simple so was not like was asking for lot.
One was i needed be sitting around the front of the class so can hear what the teacher is saying.
My assigned desk in most my classes where in the back of the class where was unable to hear the Teacher most the time.
American high school classes have tons of background sound so even with hearing aids it was very hard to focus on what the teacher was saying over it all.
Would want hearing aids to pick up what the teacher is saying but they would pick up the students close to you who where not doing there work just messing around being loud.
Other simple accommodation was sometimes i needed teacher to repeat or rephrase something where can hear and understand it.
Most the teachers would not do any of that so if students did not hear them Oh well, they did not care and they would not repeat or rephrase anything.
The last accommodation was be patient with me.
If going ask me something give me time to understand what you asked before i try to or give you answer to what you asked me.
Most the Teachers if they ask you something wanted instant answer the moment adter they asked it.
Deal with with all that for year... Yeah NO! I'm was not going deal with all that for three more years without going crazy.

The community college where was taking classes to get my GED where just fine.
The classrooms where small and if students had or needed simple accommodations they staff had no problems working with them.
Most of the work was done on Computer and the Teacher would walk around helping students if they needed help.

It sounds like despite facing extra adversity you've figured things out. I'm happy for you.
Aug 23, 2018 6:56 PM

Jul 2016
assyrian said:

it's okay if you're young the polls are anonymous. You can even tell us your educational goals.
Aug 23, 2018 7:03 PM

Aug 2017
Tapertrain said:
assyrian said:

it's okay if you're young the polls are anonymous. You can even tell us your educational goals.

but what if i have not STARTED any of the options in the polls yet?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2018 7:06 PM

Jul 2016
assyrian said:
Tapertrain said:

Cute but clearly based on your reading and writing skills you've started elementary!
Aug 23, 2018 7:09 PM

Aug 2017
Tapertrain said:
assyrian said:

Cute but clearly based on your reading and writing skills you've started elementary!

nah dont worry about the details i have like an iq of 180 and self taught myself the latin alphabet
Aug 23, 2018 7:17 PM

Mar 2016
well today was my first day of uni but we'll see how long that lasts.
Aug 24, 2018 12:29 AM

Jan 2009
J_LEE_C said:
I get you, Noboru. lol I think RAID levels and binary/base systems bsod'd his brain though.
Well, it doesn't surprise me that you instantly get what I was talking about, but Yarub seems to be intelligent to get it as well. Once he reads about it, I'm sure that he can get it as well. Not sure about @Breakings though whether he or she only plays dumb or genuinely doesn't understand a thing even when looking it up.
Aug 24, 2018 11:35 AM

Apr 2016
Tapertrain said:
Brooke said:

Does that mean you’re in grade 12?

going into year 13 i think its grade 12 for you guys

one flower that continues to struggle for
blossom is more beautiful than a gem

Aug 24, 2018 1:37 PM

Jul 2016
p0ckyy said:
college dropout. felt like pursuing my dreams.
i understand that the education system may work for some and is required for certain professions.
what i really disliked was the dogma and the people i was surrounded by.

What kind of dream is this? Are you succeeding?
Aug 24, 2018 1:40 PM

Jul 2016
I graduated high school 5 years ago and just want to be a weeb, but I have to do things when my dad retires next year.
Aug 24, 2018 2:11 PM

Nov 2013
SadMadoka said:
I was a child prodigy of sorts. Even as a little kid, I probably had a better overall education than most college students. I owned countless science books and would read through encyclopedias and dictionaries, for instance. I dropped out of college in 2006 to blaze my own path.

an actual anime character in the flesh
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 24, 2018 2:14 PM

Aug 2016
Sad said:
SadMadoka said:

an actual anime character in the flesh

And now he's working for Mac Donalds, just kidding :p
we do a little bit of headbanging here
Aug 24, 2018 2:48 PM

Mar 2016
Tapertrain said:
It sounds like despite facing extra adversity you've figured things out. I'm happy for you.

[Insert joke about Asians being relentless here]

Truth be told i never really enjoyed living in the US back then.
Yes, learned lots of stuff growing up in the US.
However my main goal back then was get back to Japan sometime in my life.
I would have been just fine and happy if spent my whole life growing up here in Japan.
Sadly things not work out like that cause custody battles almost always favor the Mother over the Father, No matter how useless the Mother might be.
Is like that in both Japanese and American courts.
Why was born in Hawaii i spent my childhood in Japan so that's what i known.
Then out of no where, Parents divorce, get thrown into custody battle, Mothers wins, Lose getting to grow up with my Father in my life.
Feel sorry for children who grow up having to deal with that stuff.
The worst part was getting moved halfway across the earth to new place and culture feeling lost only for my Mother to abandon me with some man.
(It was my older half sisters Father.)
Then get abused, raped and almost beat to death into Coma for sometime before i ended up in foster care being taken in by my American Grandparents.
It's not like that can really fuck with and damage persons mind for the rest of there life.
Spent few years getting help for suicidal depression and PTSD cause of all of it.
I find it peaceful and brings me some happiness knowing that man got stabbed to death in prison, why my own Mother spent my live growing up in the US rotting in prison.
Was not till i was adult my Mother and me started talking to each other again.
(Had do some deep soul searching before i would even talk to her again.)
Person would not want leave us alone in room with each other however.
The first and last time i seen my Mother since was little was when was back in the US back in May of this year.
Traveled all the way from Japan back to the US to see and pay my respect to my Grandmother who raised me who was slowly dying in the Hospital.
After she passed away i stayed around to attend her funeral.
Few days before my flight back to Japan my Mother invited me out to dinner.
Freaked my Mother out little just how much i would stare at the knife on the table then at her.
Least she did understand my feelings why i wanted to hurt her and even admitted that she failed at being Mother.

I'm happy i can say from my heart that mine and my Husbands child will not have deal with that stuff or have life like that.
We done promised each other that even if later on in life that if it don't work out for us for some reason?, that we would still both do all we can for are child.

Aug 24, 2018 3:34 PM

Jan 2009
@Sad + @myllaut : the fact that he was able to point out the education system as to what it actually is makes him a lot better educated than most people here. Too few people have heard of the Prussian education system, despite it being THE schooling system in the West
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

27 by Dracowyn »»
2 hours ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

23 by Ejrodiew »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.