Forum Settings
Forums

English dubbed Anime fans will never able to fully enjoy Anime

New
Aug 21, 2018 7:43 AM
Aug 2018

The dub have made the story out of focus and even change her tsundere personality, a tsundere character will never say 'why was not it me', making her to say 'it's not fair' also make her to sound like a whiny character.

The solution is to watch Anime in original voice with fan-sub, I said fan sub because official sub are similar to dub where the translation are totally out of story.
MoeAnimeFanAug 21, 2018 9:02 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 21, 2018 7:44 AM

Apr 2016
Oh my God OP what did you just did.

I mean youre right but Jesus damn.

Aug 21, 2018 7:47 AM

May 2013
The bait is too strong in this one.

This video doesn't even tell us who the characters themselves are. Anyone watching the series from the start would already have an idea of who is who. I don't know which anime this is in the first place, forget enjoying a random 1 min video of a cutscene from some anime xD.
KreatorXAug 21, 2018 7:50 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 21, 2018 7:48 AM
Aug 2018
KreatorX said:

This video doesn't even tell us who the characters themselves are. Anyone watching the series from the start would already have an ideo of who is who. I don't know which anime this is in the first place.

You miss a good Anime named Tokyo Ravens, you better watch it now.
Aug 21, 2018 7:49 AM

Jan 2018
Moe to trolley real quick. I watched hellsing in dub and I gave it 9.
Aug 21, 2018 7:52 AM

May 2013
MoeAnimeFan said:
KreatorX said:

This video doesn't even tell us who the characters themselves are. Anyone watching the series from the start would already have an ideo of who is who. I don't know which anime this is in the first place.

Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out.

However my point was that, if I was already watching that show, I would have known who was who. The dub vs sub would have made no difference in that scene in particular, given the context.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 21, 2018 7:52 AM
Aug 2018
hazecloud said:

Maybe because you haven't see the original Anime yet, so far almost all dubbed Anime I see never get a word like "oniichan" right and have to translate it into something else or to just the person's name which literaly make the story out of focus.
Aug 21, 2018 7:54 AM

Dec 2015

This bait is definitely excellent.
Aug 21, 2018 7:56 AM

Oct 2010
The voice acting for both is pretty great, where is the loss exactly?
Aug 21, 2018 7:58 AM
Aug 2018
KreatorX said:
MoeAnimeFan said:

Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out.

However my point was that, if I was already watching that show, I would have known who was who. The dub vs sub would have made no difference in that scene in particular, given the context.

This is not just about who is who but also even change the story, Suzuka is a tsundere type girl but making her say "why was not it me" on someone's died scene are changing her personality into something else.
Aug 21, 2018 7:59 AM
Mar 2018
What a well thought out and in depth post about why English dubs need to burn in hell.
Aug 21, 2018 7:59 AM
Aug 2018
jal90 said:

Did you even heard why they said? Or maybe you don't understand Japanese language.
Aug 21, 2018 8:01 AM

Oct 2010
MoeAnimeFan said:
jal90 said:

Did you even heard why they said? Or maybe you don't understand Japanese language.

I don't understand Japanese language, I know that they are saying different stuff.

Dubbing and translation are completely different processes. If you want to make a point about English dubs being worse than original dubs picking the script as a comparison is quite wrong.
Aug 21, 2018 8:01 AM

Feb 2018
The bait on this site got even worse.....
Aug 21, 2018 8:03 AM
Aug 2018
jal90 said:
MoeAnimeFan said:

I don't understand Japanese language, I know that they are saying different stuff.

Dubbing and translation are completely different processes. If you want to make a point about English dubs being worse than original dubs picking the script as a comparison is quite wrong.

Not simply about the voice quality but also the story where the english dub cause the story to be out of focus and even change the story into something else.
Aug 21, 2018 8:04 AM

May 2013
MoeAnimeFan said:

This is not just about who is who but also even change the story, Suzuka is a tsundere type girl but making her say "why was not it me" on someone's died scene are changing her personality into something else.

Look, I get the angle you are coming from. You like subs, that is a good thing that you are able to enjoy something. However, your criteria for choosing between the two is way off the mark.

You are telling me she is supposedly a tsundere character. Understood, with that information in hand, her saying 'why was not it me' doesn't change the fact that she is still a tsundere.

This can't even be classified as a change in story. :D

edit : grammar.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 21, 2018 8:06 AM

Nov 2012
MoeAnimeFan said:
hazecloud said:

Maybe because you haven't see the original Anime yet,

Or maybe you haven't seen the Hellsing dub yet.

MoeAnimeFan said:
so far almost all dubbed Anime I see never get a word like "oniichan" right and have to translate it into something else or to just the person's name which literaly make the story out of focus.

I agree, as opposed to when the Japanese try to speak English, which isn't jarring at all.

kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Aug 21, 2018 8:07 AM
Aug 2018
KreatorX said:
MoeAnimeFan said:

Look, I get the angle you are coming from. You like subs, that is a good thing that you are able to enjoy something. However, your criteria for choosing between the two is way off the mark.

You are telling me she is supposedly a tsundere character. Understood, with that information in hand, her saying 'why was not it me' doesn't change the fact that she immediately stopped being a tsundere.

This can't even be classified as a change in story. :D

A character personality are also represented by their words, and the dub did change the story because no one knows why she cried.
Aug 21, 2018 8:16 AM

Apr 2012
jal90 said:
I know that they are saying different stuff.
Right.
Dubbing and translation are completely different processes.
Wait a second...
If you want to make a point about English dubs being worse than original dubs picking the script as a comparison is quite wrong.
...What?
I thought you're the type that thinks before they write. The revoicing process does not necessarily include 'the script must be changed' in its definition.

A change in script means a deviation from what was meant to be portrayed, that will always happen to a degree in translation, that doesn't suddenly mean that any type of loss in translation is ok. The moment there's a change in how the characters are perceived despite the original writing being spot-on in it's explanation, then there's something wrong going on.
Even if revoicing (or dubbing, as we all love to call it) really did have that as part of its process, it wouldn't make any of this better, you're just proving that revoicing is inferior.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 21, 2018 8:18 AM

May 2013
MoeAnimeFan said:

A character personality are also represented by their words, and the dub did change the story because no one knows why she cried.

I am not disagreeing with you. But explain to me how she stopped being a tsundere with just those words.

Also as a viewer, I doubt you were unaware that person was the brother even if you watched it in dubs. I highly suspect that the rest of the characters have no clue as to why she cried but I will go with what you said, as I haven't watched it yet.

I am simply smelling sub-elitism here, nothing more than that :D

Especially when you write stuff like ' English dubbed Anime fans will never able to fully enjoy Anime'. You don't even know when I choose to watch an anime between dub or sub. For me it has always been the timbre of the voice. If I like the sound of the voice actors, I will stick with that. I've rewatched plenty of shows in both dub and sub, neither of them had any impact on the story nor personalities for me.

Sure, there were some cases where I felt the script of the sub was better, at times I felt the script of the dub was better than the sub. Yet I have been able to 'fully' enjoy anime regardless.
KreatorXAug 21, 2018 8:25 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 21, 2018 8:22 AM

Jun 2017
Bad video for proofing your theory OP... and if you consider this less enjoyment then subs also have mistakes and you never fully enjoy an anime if you can't understand/speak Japanese
Aug 21, 2018 8:23 AM
Aug 2018
KreatorX said:
MoeAnimeFan said:

I am not disagreeing with you. But explain to me how she stopped being a tsundere with just those words.

Also as a viewer, I doubt you were unaware that person was the brother even if you watched it in dubs. I highly suspect that the rest of the characters have no clue as to why she cried but I will go with what you said, as I haven't watched it yet.

You still don't get it, the english dub fans who watch that Anime will not know she is a tsundere, a personality not only represented by action but mainly by words especially in Anime.

It it just weirds seeing a tsundere character acting cold but saying nice things.
Aug 21, 2018 8:24 AM
Aug 2018
mhkr said:
Bad video for proofing your theory OP... and if you consider this less enjoyment then subs also have mistakes and you never fully enjoy an anime if you can't understand/speak Japanese

To fully enjoy something then you must process it as long as to the original if you can't process the original yourself.
Aug 21, 2018 8:30 AM

Jun 2017
MoeAnimeFan said:
mhkr said:

To fully enjoy something then you must process it as long as to the original if you can't process the original yourself.

This is like if an anime isn't completely a copy and paste of manga then anime is worse... But we have lots of examples (like this season of Attack on Titan) that anime isn't copy and paste of manga and the anime is better...
Aug 21, 2018 8:31 AM

May 2013
MoeAnimeFan said:
KreatorX said:

You still don't get it, the english dub fans who watch that Anime will not know she is a tsundere, a personality not only represented by action but mainly by words especially in Anime.

Look, I get it. I understand Japanese to the point where I can POINT out errors in the subs because the fan translation wasn't exactly correct and I can understand basic sentences, enough to hold a 10-15 second conversation of my own. It is not something exceptional to brag about but I'm just driving a point here. Having watched both subs and dubs for the past 15 years, I do have a fair bit of confidence in my spoken Japanese language skills.

I haven't seen a single show till date where I couldn't tell if the person was tsundere or not, doesn't matter if I watched it in dub or sub. My contention with you is that you cherry-picked an example to show that us anime fans can't enjoy a show fully just because of a language barrier. Don't take this the wrong way, but if I start watching this show, I would have picked up on the fact that the yellow haired chick would be a tsundere regardless whether you told me or not.

Refer to my previous post as to how I decide between dub or sub.
KreatorXAug 21, 2018 8:34 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 21, 2018 8:33 AM

Feb 2010
Making a tsundere not be a tsundere would actually objectively be an improvement since they are the worst archetype. But setting that aside, this is not a topic you can generalize. I know a few cases where I definitely enjoyed the dub MORE than the original version because it was just a perfect fit for the characters or there were some things about the original audio that bothered me.

In general, anyone who confidently pretends they can speak for how much other people enjoy something, is a disingenious prick tbh. You don't get to decide how much other people enjoy something, and you especially don't get to generalize that based one example that made you salty. That's just unreflected egocentrism at its finest.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 21, 2018 8:39 AM

Oct 2010
Immahnoob said:
jal90 said:
I know that they are saying different stuff.
Right.
Dubbing and translation are completely different processes.
Wait a second...
If you want to make a point about English dubs being worse than original dubs picking the script as a comparison is quite wrong.
...What?
I thought you're the type that thinks before they write. The revoicing process does not necessarily include 'the script must be changed' in its definition.

A change in script means a deviation from what was meant to be portrayed, that will always happen to a degree in translation, that doesn't suddenly mean that any type of loss in translation is ok.

This conclusion doesn't really stem from what I say. Of course bad translations can ruin the work. They are just not the same issue as voice acting, they are not done by the same people, and if they fail it's for different reasons. Good dubs exist with bad translations. Bad dubs exist with faithful translations.

But if all OP does is showing a video that plays two little and very specific clips out of context, even if their texts are different, the only thing I can infer here is the quality of the voice acting. I don't know why the character not saying "oniichan" in the second clip is a loss, what did it mean to the character in the original and why it's so tragic that it wasn't kept in the translated text.
Aug 21, 2018 8:39 AM

Sep 2017
fma brotherhood is my favorite anime of all time and i watched it dubbed lol
Edward Elric > your waifu

Aug 21, 2018 8:42 AM
Sep 2017
>inb4 people who can't speak Japanese can't fully enjoy anime
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Aug 21, 2018 8:46 AM
May 2017
It does not matter because I understand Japanese.
Aug 21, 2018 8:51 AM

Apr 2018
KreatorX said:
MoeAnimeFan said:

Especially when you write stuff like ' English dubbed Anime fans will never able to fully enjoy Anime'. You don't even know when I choose to watch an anime between dub or sub. For me it has always been the timbre of the voice. If I like the sound of the voice actors, I will stick with that. I've rewatched plenty of shows in both dub and sub, neither of them had any impact on the story nor personalities for me.

Sure, there were some cases where I felt the script of the sub was better, at times I felt the script of the dub was better than the sub. Yet I have been able to 'fully' enjoy anime regardless.

*up voting this bitch* nicely put. I've seen so many dub and sub of the same show and and at no point has the main story or it's underlying tones or themes (if any) ever been drastically changed or have it's story muddled or "out of focus." idk wtf this dude is on about.
Aug 21, 2018 8:53 AM
Jul 2018
All I see on both sides of English and Japanese dubs, is a crybaby and a cgi dragon.
Aug 21, 2018 9:11 AM

Oct 2017
Japanese dubs are usually better than English dub. If you try claiming it being always better, then you're just bullshitting...
KatsutoSakiAug 21, 2018 9:42 AM
Aug 21, 2018 9:14 AM

Dec 2016
the sole existence of Black Clover is enough to prove you wrong. the watching experience with that show changes dramatically for better in the dub.
Aug 21, 2018 9:16 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Baccano dub is superior to baccano sub
Aug 21, 2018 9:27 AM
Aug 2018
Any of you wondered why more and more vg from Japan are multi-lingual? The reason is because more and more peoples are sick of english dub.
Aug 21, 2018 9:28 AM

Sep 2017
Dlwuik said:

I've watched fma brotherhood both dubbed and subbed and the dub for that show is better by far imo
Aug 21, 2018 9:49 AM

Oct 2016
Who cares? It's just anime. I personally never liked the Japanese voice acting so dubs will always be an essential for when I watch anime.
Aug 21, 2018 9:58 AM

Apr 2012
jal90 said:
Good dubs exist with bad translations.
No, they don't. Dubs are inherently bad if their script is wrong.

Autocrat said:
Aug 21, 2018 10:01 AM

Aug 2012
Sometimes this can be true, depending of how faithful the USA adaptation was. Both FMA series are positive examples, you can watch the dubbed versions without worries. As for negative... I´ll use the most explicit example possible: Any anime adaptation made by 4Kids.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Aug 21, 2018 10:13 AM

Oct 2010
Immahnoob said:
jal90 said:
Good dubs exist with bad translations.

Throw your inherence somewhere else, I have watched them.
Aug 21, 2018 10:32 AM

Apr 2012
jal90 said:
Immahnoob said:

That's irrelevant, you're still wrong.

Autocrat said:
Aug 21, 2018 10:36 AM

Sep 2011
Master_of_Lies said:
As for negative... I´ll use the most explicit example possible: Any anime adaptation made by 4Kids.

True. I have no problems watching English dubbed. But if it's from 4Kids..... ugh the cringe is crawling in my skin when I remember watching shows dubbed by 4Kids.

Aug 21, 2018 10:37 AM

Oct 2010
Immahnoob said:
jal90 said:

We can keep throwing one liners at one another for a long while if you want.
Aug 21, 2018 10:43 AM

Apr 2012
jal90 said:
Immahnoob said:

We can keep throwing one liners at one another for a long while if you want.
You're correct, at least for once. In the end though, the conclusion has been reached anyway. Go on, struggle.

Autocrat said:
Aug 21, 2018 1:25 PM

Jul 2015
That's not true, if the anime series is properly dubbed and the background music does not drown out the dialogue. Yet, when I watched anime on Netflix, I used the close captioning function because it's just easier to watch subbed anime, sometimes it's hard to understand what some of the characters are saying.
Aug 21, 2018 2:40 PM

Sep 2017
justcaolan said:
Dlwuik said:

I've watched fma brotherhood both dubbed and subbed and the dub for that show is better by far imo

agreed. the voices for the main characters in the sub weren't even that bad (of course the eng is better), it was the background characters voices that made it unwatchable in japanese.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Aug 21, 2018 5:41 PM
Aug 2018
This is actually not a dub vs sub topic, that is why I specifically point out english dub and not all dubs.
Aug 21, 2018 8:24 PM

Aug 2018
Dlwuik said:
justcaolan said:

agreed. the voices for the main characters in the sub weren't even that bad (of course the eng is better), it was the background characters voices that made it unwatchable in japanese.
I agree completeley with u because I love you and we do share the same opinions time to time even in the bathroom and yeah dubs are better than subs time to time but fullmetal is great
Aug 21, 2018 8:34 PM

Mar 2017
1.) Why is a 3-hour dead topic of an attention-starved troll being resuscitated?

2.) A noob actually got his self-diagnosis right and seems to be ignorant of the concept of dynamic equivalence as a preferable approach in translation. That, or his "triggered"-style gif avatar points to him being a troll doing troll things.

So, in conclusion, trolls galore. Kill this thread.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

39 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 minutes ago

1 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

228 by KeyiOs »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 16 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 46 minutes ago

3 by NubFix »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.