Forum Settings
Forums

Any fans of The Legend of Heroes series here? Sky/CS/Crossbell?

New
Aug 20, 2018 4:11 AM

Jan 2017
Just wondering if anyone else here on MAL has played any of these games. In my opinion from what I've seen, this series [Trails in the sky, Cold Steel and Zero/Azure] feel criminally underrated and not a whole lot of people even know they exist.

Anyone else here play any of them? and if so did you enjoy them?
Aug 20, 2018 4:08 PM
Apr 2015
I don't think they are underrated. Just not well known like Final Fantasy.

I've played all of the games and Aoi is my favorite. Cold Steel series is the least favorite. Combat is a mess and I didn't like the bonding system. The events in Cold Steel 2 makes a lot more sense when seeing certain scenes after playing Aoi.
Aug 20, 2018 4:18 PM

Jun 2016
I played Trails in the Sky recently and I really liked it. Easy to get into with a nostalgic atmosphere and great soundtrack. Planning on snagging the rest if I ever catch them on sale.
Aug 20, 2018 4:30 PM

Apr 2014
I've got 100% of the achievements in Trails in the Sky, it took me 170 hours but it was worth it. Great game.
I started the Cold Steel series but it starts out so goddamn slow and I'm not a fan of school settings either..
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Aug 20, 2018 6:25 PM

Jun 2014
The only Legend of Heroes game I played was the first one for the TurboGrafx-CD. It was pretty good.

Aug 20, 2018 7:01 PM

Mar 2017
Yeah big fan here, currently waiting for news for ToCS 3 for the west.
Aug 20, 2018 11:29 PM

Jul 2009
Currently my most favorite JRPG series! Got 100% completion for the entire Trails in the Sky trilogy and the first two Cold Steel games. Planning to play Azure and Zero once my backlog clears up.

Still crossing my fingers that Falcom will care enough to localize Cold Steel 3 someday.
Aug 20, 2018 11:29 PM
Apr 2015
I would highly recommend playing Zero No Kiseki after you've played the Trails in the Sky trilogy. These are not stand alone games. Crossbell takes place 3 months after Trails in the Sky 3rd. Do not miss out on playing the Crossbell series or you will be missing important details to characters from the previous games.

There is a fan translation of Zero and Aoi. The translations are not 100% done but it's very playable in its current state.

Play Aoi No Kiseki after you have finished Cold Steel 1 and 2 to avoid spoilers.
Aug 21, 2018 12:23 AM

Sep 2011
Played Cold Steel but unfortunately I couldn't like it so I dropped it around the first test. I forgot why but I think it has something to do with its battle system or maybe because of awkward animations that I couldn't bear it anymore.

Aug 21, 2018 6:47 AM

Nov 2012
I played Trails in the Sky FC last year, wasn't that impressed with it. Most of the game was really slow and forumulaic until about the 3/4 point. The last quarter of teh game was pretty good but that doesn't really cover for it being ridiculously slow for most of it.

I also sunk in over 100 hrs and beat Trails of Cold Steel 1 . It can also feel very forumulaic with all the school stuff and missions, but it gets interesting a lot quicker than the first sky game. This was a pretty solid game but not amazing. Some nice twists at the end of it (well, same could be said for Sky FC)

I'm supposedly in the final dungeon for Trails of Cold Steel II . The school element is gone but the forumla elements are still very simular. Pretty solid but not great like Cold Steel 1.

I really didn't feel like going through the entire series game by game after I didn't get much out of Sky 1 , thats why I skiped to the Cold Steel series, which is a lot more playable for me anyway.
Aug 21, 2018 2:41 PM

Aug 2015
I played Trails in the Sky 1-2 absolutely loved story, characters and atmosphere but by the end of the second game I really got tired of gameplay/
Aug 22, 2018 4:28 AM

Sep 2012
My main issue with the series is that everything they try to achieve in several games better RPGs achieve it in just one because of the incredible amount of padding the series has. Like, I would understand if the characters or the story were amazingly in deep, but it's basically your average JRPG trophes and cliches, but instead of taking 40-50 to beat the Trails in the Sky trilogy takes around 100-120 hours (or up to 150+ hours if you bother with the sidequest) and even with how long the whole series is, they still leave plot points and characters completely unsolved until the next iteration (Renne's inner conflict with Joshua and Estelle isn't resolved up until Zero no Kiseki)

Coldsteel was also awful in almost every regard and ups the flaws of the previous games up to eleven. I mean, Trails characters were cliches, but some of them were endearing ones and Estelle was a great MC, here is just by the book archetypes played completely straight and 100% serious. The only good part of the game is the twist, and then the game ends in the next 30 minutes to set up the sequel with 80% reused assets of the previous game that feels like a retale of Trails in the Sky 2nd, but a lot worse. Like, you have all this climatic moments at the end with hard fights only for the bosses to get up and say "I was holding back, NOW the real fight begins!" (and oh boy, do they love this trophe a lot, it's in every single game) and another NPC showing up to save your ass (this happens 3-5 times in a round) instead of reaching the climax of their conflicts with specific characters (like what happened with Schez and Luciola, or Zane and Walter), so it feels like an overall weaker game since you don't end up achieving anything in regards to the characters themselves. Then there is what happens to Crow, which is very similar to Loewe but like everything in ColdSteel, done much, much worse,...honestly I could go on and on about this series flaws.

What it does achieve very well is the music. Inevitable Battle, Silver Will, Sophisticated Fight, Step Ahead...even if the gameplay is very barebones and basic to the point it becomes extremely repetitive by the end of the game, the music Falcom produces is of very high quality, but it's a shame such talented people are hold down by everything else the company makes. That being said, Zero was alright for being another opening game, so Ao looks promising to me (haven't played it yet). Not holding my breath for ColdSteel 3 after how bad the other two were, but there are people who said it's a massive step forward in comparison to the other games, so who knows.
Aug 22, 2018 10:13 AM

Nov 2012
SH4kun said:
My main issue with the series is that everything they try to achieve in several games better RPGs achieve it in just one because of the incredible amount of padding the series has. Like, I would understand if the characters or the story were amazingly in deep, but it's basically your average JRPG trophes and cliches, but instead of taking 40-50 to beat the Trails in the Sky trilogy takes around 100-120 hours (or up to 150+ hours if you bother with the sidequest) and even with how long the whole series is, they still leave plot points and characters completely unsolved until the next iteration (Renne's inner conflict with Joshua and Estelle isn't resolved up until Zero no Kiseki)

Coldsteel was also awful in almost every regard and ups the flaws of the previous games up to eleven. I mean, Trails characters were cliches, but some of them were endearing ones and Estelle was a great MC, here is just by the book archetypes played completely straight and 100% serious. The only good part of the game is the twist, and then the game ends in the next 30 minutes to set up the sequel with 80% reused assets of the previous game that feels like a retale of Trails in the Sky 2nd, but a lot worse. Like, you have all this climatic moments at the end with hard fights only for the bosses to get up and say "I was holding back, NOW the real fight begins!" (and oh boy, do they love this trophe a lot, it's in every single game) and another NPC showing up to save your ass (this happens 3-5 times in a round) instead of reaching the climax of their conflicts with specific characters (like what happened with Schez and Luciola, or Zane and Walter), so it feels like an overall weaker game since you don't end up achieving anything in regards to the characters themselves. Then there is what happens to Crow, which is very similar to Loewe but like everything in ColdSteel, done much, much worse,...honestly I could go on and on about this series flaws.

What it does achieve very well is the music. Inevitable Battle, Silver Will, Sophisticated Fight, Step Ahead...even if the gameplay is very barebones and basic to the point it becomes extremely repetitive by the end of the game, the music Falcom produces is of very high quality, but it's a shame such talented people are hold down by everything else the company makes. That being said, Zero was alright for being another opening game, so Ao looks promising to me (haven't played it yet). Not holding my breath for ColdSteel 3 after how bad the other two were, but there are people who said it's a massive step forward in comparison to the other games, so who knows.

lol i didnt play all the sky games but at least the first sky compared to the CS games (in english) , I liked steel a lot more.

Sky 1 was okay by the end of it but most of that game was very generic and boring to me.
Aug 22, 2018 6:55 PM
Apr 2015
SH4kun said:

Plenty of negative things to say about Cold Steel 1 and 2 but my biggest complaint about Cold Steel 1 and 2 was how easy the combat was even on nightmare. Also lost my shit when I saw McBurn for the first time. I had a Mc Chicken sandwich earlier. Dumbest name I've heard in a RPG. I don't hate Cold Steel 1 and 2. Just not worth a replay for me like I've replayed the Crossbell series several times to get 100% achievements.
Aug 23, 2018 1:48 AM

Apr 2012
Fuck sake, it's trope, not trophe. It's not a fucking trophy.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 23, 2018 4:18 AM

Nov 2015
yeah i already finished The Legend of Heroes 1 and 2, I'm now on the The Legend of Heroes 3
Aug 23, 2018 5:53 PM

Aug 2018
I've played a good 12 hours or so of Trails of Cold Steel and I found it extremely boring. All the characters are such generic anime cliches and the story drags on for an eternity before anything happens.

I had the same issue with the Trails in the Sky series so nowadays I just stay away from any Nihon Falcom game.

The combat is pretty nice though.
Aug 26, 2018 5:04 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah, friend recommended me trails in the sky FC 3ish years ago and since then i've been hooked. I still need to play the Crossbell games however. I think i prefer the sky trilogy over the cold steel ones so far, but still enjoyed cold steel 1 and 2 quite alot.
Aug 27, 2018 3:33 AM
May 2009
Only played the CS first game.
It was good and I enjoyed the characters they were all well writen.
Nov 14, 2018 10:26 PM

Nov 2018
I'm late to this thread but me here played Cold Steel. Just got curious about it since it was coming to Steam and it's cheap so I bought it and I say '******* this cliffhanger'. Now I'm waiting for CS3 and 4 since this Cold Steel series must be finished. It can't stay hanging.

Skittles said:

Still crossing my fingers that Falcom will care enough to localize Cold Steel 3 someday.

I heard that Kondo really wants to bring out his games to Steam and also expand internationally so Falcom most definitely will, but maybe you already know that by now lol just wanna say it here. The question is, what localization company will? I hope it's not NISA and stay Xseed.
Nov 16, 2018 5:27 AM
May 2009
Only played cold steel one, I found it to be really enjoyable, the story was good aswell. Need to start on 2.
Nov 16, 2018 5:54 AM

Jul 2009
yuccasnpk said:

Skittles said:

I heard that Kondo really wants to bring out his games to Steam and also expand internationally so Falcom most definitely will, but maybe you already know that by now lol just wanna say it here. The question is, what localization company will? I hope it's not NISA and stay Xseed.

That's interesting. I thought Kondo lost all hope with the West, which was why the third and fourth games have been translated to Chinese and Korean but not English.

Definitely hoping XSEED will be doing the translations. NISA does a sloppy job most of the time.
Nov 16, 2018 6:18 AM

Nov 2018
Skittles said:

That's interesting. I thought Kondo lost all hope with the West, which was why the third and fourth games have been translated to Chinese and Korean but not English.

Definitely hoping XSEED will be doing the translations. NISA does a sloppy job most of the time.

He's positive about West. Guys on Steam had discussed about it but here's the references:
https://techraptor.net/content/president-nihon-falcom-games-on-steam
https://www.dualshockers.com/falcom-legend-heroes-titles-west/

I heard NISA does, I mean I do saw all the hate like 'I won't buy it if NISA takes it' and such but I guess it's true since I had some problem with NISA's deeds on Sakura Wars 5. They did horrible for the villains. Also, I don't/haven't play Ys 8 but I do know NISA had delayed release date on Steam for months. I think it was really technical problem.

Me too, Xseed did real great job. Even with those additional lines on Rean mostly and others too. Loved the English casts and not even wanting the Japanese casts. I hope they release it fast.
Nov 18, 2018 8:49 PM

Jan 2017
I'm just hoping we get a PC port when it does get localised. Would lowkey buy a PS4 just to play cold steel 3 and eventually 4 but would much prefer a dual release on both platforms at the exact same time.
Nov 21, 2018 6:25 AM

Oct 2014
yuccasnpk said:
Skittles said:

He's positive about West. Guys on Steam had discussed about it but here's the references:
https://techraptor.net/content/president-nihon-falcom-games-on-steam
https://www.dualshockers.com/falcom-legend-heroes-titles-west/

I heard NISA does, I mean I do saw all the hate like 'I won't buy it if NISA takes it' and such but I guess it's true since I had some problem with NISA's deeds on Sakura Wars 5. They did horrible for the villains. Also, I don't/haven't play Ys 8 but I do know NISA had delayed release date on Steam for months. I think it was really technical problem.

Me too, Xseed did real great job. Even with those additional lines on Rean mostly and others too. Loved the English casts and not even wanting the Japanese casts. I hope they release it fast.

Well I did play Danganronpa v3 and NISA did a pretty well Job on that one.

XSEED now is so good that it made them busy because being well recieved also translates into more Demands.

I to hope that Xseed will do CS 3 and 4, heck why not make 1 game of it (like the Makers originally intended)?
Nov 21, 2018 6:38 AM

Nov 2018
Bourmegar said:

I to hope that Xseed will do CS 3 and 4, heck why not make 1 game of it (like the Makers originally intended)?

That's interesting about NISA lol.

Nah, Xseed isn't Falcom and it only localizes games. That said, it's the president Kondo himself that split the game because it's too big to be one game he had to. CS 3, out of all Trails he produced, is the biggest game by the way.
Nov 21, 2018 9:26 PM

Nov 2016
Just can't get into the whole playing as a ditzy chic theme

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 5 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
5 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
7 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
11 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.