Jan 2015

Awful CGI desu ga, Nani ka?

Truly disappointed. RIP great isekai novel
At least I’m glad they stick with the light novel character design
XenocrisiAug 11, 2018 8:07 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 11, 2018 2:32 PM

Sep 2016
maybe it will be possible to look past the bad cgi and truly appreciate the story of
"Dark Souls; Kawaii Spider Edition"
Aug 11, 2018 3:10 PM
Jan 2016
Looks like shit. They're not using the manga design for Kumo, which is super disappointing because the LN version just doesn't look all that good.
You can just tell they'll be rushing through the story, because this is obviously not getting many episodes. The seiyuu isn't working any wonders for the anime either.

Already prepared to just chalk it down as another shit LN adaptation.
KababiAug 11, 2018 3:15 PM
Aug 11, 2018 3:46 PM

May 2014
Her design as a spider looks kind of strange and that cg dragon was something to behold. I'll still give it a go though, hopefully it'll be a fun watch

If i don't like it i always have the isekai anime about a slime instead. I hope these two won't be completely generic isekai anime apart from the main characters not being human. I won't hold my breath though~
Aug 11, 2018 6:11 PM
Jan 2016
Yeah, it's overall quite a bad PV. If the original source is as good as the fans say, then this is quite a sad thing.

TheHolyTower said:
maybe it will be possible to look past the bad cgi and truly appreciate the story of
"Dark Souls; Kawaii Spider Edition"

I am sure it will be possible, but it might be hard to do, like Dark Souls.

fancyjasper said:
If i don't like it i always have the isekai anime about a slime instead. I hope these two won't be completely generic isekai anime apart from the main characters not being human. I won't hold my breath though~

Oh, yeah, that slime isekai anime thing looks better than this.
Aug 12, 2018 3:41 AM
Mar 2017
Yeah, budget look sad - for how popular the LN is, this is just sad.

This cheap garbage will make this story look way worse that it is. It was a bad decision, I would rather wait for a few years.

Visual novel design is just another way to make this anime terrible.

I had expectation - I am very disappointed, this is not even anime, just some CGI garbage animation, look at that dragon, terrible.
Aug 12, 2018 1:20 PM
Dec 2017
projedenpost said:
Yeah, budget look sad - for how popular the LN is, this is just sad.

Don't go too far the only real ugly thing on the PV is Alaba, the other reincarnators look really great and Kumo looks decent. It's clearly that the Anime is following the LN art design (obvious the anime is an advertisement to the LN).
Fun fact: Use both CG and normal animation to this level is actually more expensive than just using one of them alone.
Most people don't know that make computer models is very expensive that's why most anime only use CG for crowd or very few elements (mechas) but here all monsters in the dungeon use CG (spiders, dragons, monkeys, etc) and all the side story use normal animation even Fey who is a dragon use normal animation.
linkhuesitosAug 12, 2018 1:29 PM
Aug 12, 2018 1:22 PM
Mar 2017
Yeah, after few replays I thing - it can be good, some moments are just not that appealing, some are.
Aug 12, 2018 1:28 PM

Jan 2015
projedenpost said:
Yeah, after few replays I thing - it can be good, some moments are just not that appealing, some are.

Looking from the animation and the CGi my guess is that the studio behind this is Silver Link and let’s be honest generally not even their hand-drawn animation is of good quality
The only appealing thing will probably just be Kumoko’s personality
Aug 12, 2018 1:32 PM
Dec 2017
Xenocrisi said:

Looking from the animation and the CGi my guess is that the studio behind this is Silver Link and let’s be honest generally not even their hand-drawn animation is of good quality.

This looks good it's not the panacea or Kyoani levels but it's ok
Aug 12, 2018 10:47 PM

Jan 2008
Seems like our only saving grace is them possibly rushing the entire beginning, which probably won't make the fans happy but I doubt they'd be happy to see such atrocious cgi for an entire cour. At least they aren't doing it with the humans.
Aug 13, 2018 2:01 PM
Dec 2017
Paul said:
Seems like our only saving grace is them possibly rushing the entire beginning, which probably won't make the fans happy but I doubt they'd be happy to see such atrocious cgi for an entire cour. At least they aren't doing it with the humans.

Most profit is made with the Blu-rays and most non-japanese people don't buy them and usually the viewers rating only counts japanese even if some streaming service pick the anime the rating only count for that platform.
Almost all japanese fans on twitter are excited and looking forward to see the anime and most of those who read the fan or official translation are excited too but we're not the main target (they want those people who bought 1.2 million copies of the series and new readers).
Maybe if Kadokawa wants to push more the english translation of the manga and novel they would put it on Netflix or Crunchyroll with a English dub.

But in other topic the decision to use hand draw animation for the other classmates and CG for the dungeon it's an artistic choice. The dungeon is full videogame (skills, stats, evolutions, etc) but Shun's story is more slice of life for the first half. I still don't know why some monster in the dungeon are full CG and others not, Mother is hand draw meanwhile Alaba not (¿?).
Aug 13, 2018 10:06 PM

Nov 2012
well at least the CGI is not robot like, i can stand smooth CGI like this one, unlike anime like ajin, and berserk, really make me sick watching whole season. At least they got decent story so i dare to keep watching it.

But this kumo desu ga, looks kinda interesting. even tho it looks like smooth CGI unlike overlord CGI which looks like smooth CGI but still looks robot like, which kinda shit. This one at least looks promising with more lively move with CGI. We know that lately the industries try to emerge CGI and drawing to be one, so i thought if CGI what the industries want is to be like this, i can deal it. I hope its not ugly CGI like ajin that they approve. (apart from what should the character in the anime should looks like *like in the manga not the LN* )

I would gladly watch this show.
Aug 14, 2018 6:27 PM

Dec 2017
this is pretty good, not gonna lie. my frame of reference are Berserk 2016/2017, so this CG is pretty damn good, at least they make it look smooth enough.

even though it will be shit, i still gonna watch it anyway
Aug 19, 2018 11:26 PM
Jun 2009
Hopefully they'll get to the human arc after this CGI crap is done. Shiraori is too good to not be animated.
Aug 24, 2018 9:03 AM
Sep 2011
I'm pretty excited, but those eyes are horrible. They should stick to manga design.
Aug 24, 2018 9:40 AM

Nov 2011
They should of really just took the novel illustrations and made them into what it is. Instead we got CGI crap with robotic-like character movements.

Expectations definitely lowered for this. At least I hope they adapt her character right.
Aug 26, 2018 2:11 AM
Jul 2018
I can look past most of the cgi when I see this and just rejoice at our Queen finally getting an anime, if it weren’t for the damnable dragon
Sep 4, 2018 1:29 PM

May 2009
If the cg is not at the berserk's level, I don't mind. I just hope that the story presentation is good enough.
People say that you have to solve your problem instead of running away from it, but isn't trying to solve the problem also means that you wanted to run away from the problem?
Sep 10, 2018 12:43 PM

Sep 2012
Honestly it doesn't look so bad to me. At least the animation is fluid (unlike anime from Polygon Pictures), and i can see the point of using CGI for spider. I can also understand why it is disappointing for manga/ln readers but well... time/money/human resources, what can you do
Sep 10, 2018 8:54 PM
Dec 2017
Gaerled said:
I can also understand why it is disappointing for manga/ln readers

It's funny that most of the complaints come from manga readers meanwhile most LN readers have high expectations.
The CG looks ok for the most part except for Alaba and the hand made draw looks good on humans (for Kumo I still need to see more to make an opinion).
Sep 21, 2018 9:06 AM

Jan 2015
linkhuesitos said:
Gaerled said:
I can also understand why it is disappointing for manga/ln readers

It's funny that most of the complaints come from manga readers meanwhile most LN readers have high expectations.
The CG looks ok for the most part except for Alaba and the hand made draw looks good on humans (for Kumo I still need to see more to make an opinion).

I’m a LN reader first, and still kind of disappointed. I’m hyped, yet disappointed
Sep 27, 2018 10:27 AM

Feb 2008
It doesn't matter what your source is, bad CG is a bane for any story. It just ruins the experience and cheapens the experience, especially when it doesn't have to be super HQ. All that it needs to do is not look shabby and cheap. That CG looks shabby and cheap.
Oct 17, 2018 3:42 PM

Feb 2016
Gaerled said:
I can also understand why it is disappointing for manga/ln readers but well... time/money/human resources, what can you do

At this point they can't afford to change it, sure, but cg doesn't really save that much at all. Regular 2D animation is all computer assisted these days, if not entirely digital, and cg requires a lot of effort into model building, and have to be animated like a stop motion figure. In addition to rendering times and fixing bugs, I don't see how they'd save much time, and seeing as all the people are 2D means they must be employing two whole different teams for the different parts (it's gonna look even worse when those elements come together). So they're definitely not cutting manpower unless those teams are entirely understaffed, and I can't imagine how they're saving money either.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2018 1:19 PM
Dec 2017
[quote=ArtyWolve message=55994980]
Gaerled said:
I don't see how they'd save much time, and seeing as all the people are 2D means they must be employing two whole different teams for the different parts (it's gonna look even worse when those elements come together).

That's not going to happen, Spider and Human stories are completely parallel and they never meet each other until way later on the novel. Kumo only meets humans three times and two of them are very brief moments.

Maybe the two different artstyles is because the two stories have different genres.
Human Story is a slice of life at the begining and action later. Meanwhile Kumo story full action shounen with a lot of videogames terms (Level, Stats, Skill, XP Grinding, etc)
Nov 8, 2018 11:39 PM

Jul 2016
Its still super early right? Is it possible that this preview is not the final product? Maybe the CGI will look better when its out.
It's fine. Everyone makes mistakes. You just need to make an effort not to make the same mistake again.
Dec 27, 2018 4:23 PM

Feb 2010
honestly cgi reminds me a bit of land of lustrous so i am more in the hopeful camp then the skeptical one

also i should point out that if they use the 3d CG in the dungeon parts only. since i noticed the lizard is not 3d cgi then maybe its done thematic wise. (also i don't expect the spider protagonist to stay 3d cgi
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 3, 2019 6:34 AM
Apr 2017
While the mango cured my depression, this pv brings it back. It probably will cure my insomnia, because if it doesn't impress me I'll be sleeping on it.
Jan 18, 2019 4:30 PM
Dec 2017
Yeah, better use the designs where Kumo is the only good looking character. Meanwhile every other design done by the mangaka goes from bad to thrash.
http://imgur.com/CXuhlvV
http://imgur.com/DwmV3Px
http://imgur.com/fISU2oM

Buldron said:
They should have used the manga design as it was actually cute

She was never intended to look/be cute on the source material, and that appearance isn't going to mean nothing when later on the story she starts to do horrible things.
Jan 24, 2019 7:22 PM
Aug 2018
My god the amount of snobs complaining about CGI with only 1 real bad asset is just nonsense.

The LN design of Kumo is perfectly fine, it's a fucking anime. Shits not going to be realistic in terms of design. Get over it.

The animation is smooth as hell too so the people saying it's robotic don't know what they're talking about.

Basically just shut up and enjoy the good story that's to come.
Jan 25, 2019 4:16 AM

Jun 2014
Vivan_Vex said:
My god the amount of snobs complaining about CGI with only 1 real bad asset is just nonsense.

The LN design of Kumo is perfectly fine, it's a fucking anime. Shits not going to be realistic in terms of design. Get over it.

The animation is smooth as hell too so the people saying it's robotic don't know what they're talking about.

Some people actually have some standards you know?
:3
Jan 26, 2019 9:35 PM

Apr 2015
ah cgi my old enemy, how much more must you destroy before you are satisfied.
AraragiJan 26, 2019 9:40 PM
Jan 26, 2019 9:44 PM

Apr 2015
Vivan_Vex said:

I understand this point and what you're saying is true but the only series I've seen done well that is mainly cgi is Houseki no Kuni so you can't exactly blame most people for their complaints. We'll just have to wait and see.
AraragiJan 26, 2019 9:57 PM
Jan 30, 2019 1:08 PM
Jul 2017
I am really hopeful for this adaptation, as I love the LN. But i'm too scared to watch the PV because if it's bad, then I'l get depressed AF.

The same thing is probably gonna happen to "Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!", which is another one of my favourite LN, because the manga is already trash tier for that one.
Jan 31, 2019 8:25 PM
Dec 2017
alpha_shadow said:
Some people actually have some standards you know?

Sorry but all the "Standards" they may have went to the trash the moment they said that the manga "artstyle" was better than the novel

It's funny how on the moment Kumo does things that aren't cute (last chapter) all manga readers have a mental breakdown because they're addict to Kumo's cute imagination, meanwhile novel readers know since pretty much the beggining that Kumo is a Sociopath.
Even the anime managed to make things better with just the PV
Feb 14, 2019 4:09 AM

Oct 2015
Damn... that was a pretty weak PV. I'll play it safe and see the show's reception when it comes out before giving it a try.
Feb 25, 2019 7:40 PM

Feb 2010
linkhuesitos said:
Yeah, better use the designs where Kumo is the only good looking character. Meanwhile every other design done by the mangaka goes from bad to thrash.
http://imgur.com/CXuhlvV
http://imgur.com/DwmV3Px
http://imgur.com/fISU2oM

Buldron said:
They should have used the manga design as it was actually cute

She was never intended to look/be cute on the source material, and that appearance isn't going to mean nothing when later on the story she starts to do horrible things.

Im going to guess that stuff in thr spoiler was from the web novels because the current light novels are not fan translated. And the official translation are only up to volume 4 i
And just a friendly reminder that the web novels and LN can end up vastily different
GrimAtramentFeb 25, 2019 7:56 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Mar 12, 2019 8:57 PM
Dec 2017
The CGI isn't that bad to the point of not wanting to look at even a single second of it, Though it is a bit "eh" we can get used to it, but as long as it's not in the Berserk (2016-2017) or Ajin type of Level it will be quite enjoyable, I mean it may be like High Score Girl who knows
Mar 14, 2019 2:55 AM

Mar 2014
Just saw the preview (YouTube recommendations are weird)

Curious how this anime will do it's own thing compared to the recent "monster-isekai" hit of "That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime"

I'm definitely interested, since I heard Tanya's voice in Slime Isekai 2.0
Mar 16, 2019 9:19 AM
Mar 2015
when actually is this gonna air?
they already have PV more than half a year ago,would normally air not long after that,yet that PV was the last thing ever announced.
Mar 18, 2019 10:15 AM
Oct 2016
edge13 said:
when actually is this gonna air?
they already have PV more than half a year ago,would normally air not long after that,yet that PV was the last thing ever announced.
Shield Hero was announce like that to with PV in July 2017 and it started in January 2019 so be patient
Mar 22, 2019 2:31 PM

Jan 2019
im kinda excited for this since im assuming pre production started quite some time ago, maybe we will even get 24 episodes like shield hero and slime
Mar 24, 2019 8:30 PM
Aug 2016
Honestly the only reason why I read this is because of the big plot twist at volume 5 which I pretty much predicted that but still very interesting and it is new to add it for isekai. For those who keep saying manga is better... well yes in some parts yes, but they skipped the side story which is very important to the story and yes can be boring but rewarding after the plot twist. If they add the SS then the manga would be better but then it’s going to be even slower with Kumoku side.
Mar 30, 2019 6:54 AM

Sep 2007
Hell yeah, would watch this just for Aoi Yuuki alone. But hope that earth dragon gets fixed, now he just looks dumb.
Apr 22, 2019 5:36 PM
Apr 2019
I lile it cgi is not crap but needs work maybe draing over lay may work better also I don't like way turns and looks at you it should be more of time trees like Spiderman when chats about events for deadpools 4 wall ability with out realy 4 wall break more show her talking to her self not turn her self dear actual thing I love reading manga so have high hopes and low to so dont be to bad of crap shock with bad cgi but has promise love learn more about other charaters story's to like side story manga around main character thanks for it all and keep going its a great story
Apr 28, 2019 12:23 PM

Aug 2013
Finally !! yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 5, 2019 2:40 PM
Sep 2016
Honnestly it look pretty good aside from Alaba and the fight scene he is in, the CG is rather good especialy for anime which is likely still quite far away from its release date.
I'm more concerne with how much volume they will cover, I hope they go up to vol 6 and we get to see Shiro.
Jun 25, 2019 8:55 PM

Aug 2017
What the fuck

Tensei Slime did much better

I don’t want to deal with a ‘Yoshi with Downs Syndrome’ looking ass spider throughout this anime.

CG needs work too. Kinda like soldiers moving like dolls in Overlord.
Jun 28, 2019 12:56 AM

Aug 2014
the cgi is so bad, so sad, lets face it. the cgi is gonna ruin it for alot of newcomers
i mean judging by the comments, of people who haven't read/novel/manga u can already say so to a certain degree

linkhuesitos said:

Damm son ( ͡☉ ͜ʖ ͡☉)( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

linkhuesitos said:

Yeah, better use the designs where Kumo is the only good looking character. Meanwhile every other design done by the mangaka goes from bad to thrash
Sorry but all the "Standards" they may have went to the trash the moment they said that the manga "artstyle" was better than the novel

Ooof i was so disappointed, i liked the spider design so i wasn't expecting THAT i was like
ok ok its cute alright, then when i saw the others i was like wtf

Loli-Defender said:
Ajin type of Level
wat r u talking about? ajin's cgi was great the character models included
it wasn't some dragon slayering, for watever it is it was doing it did fine the cgi that is

coolxal said:
Hopefully they'll get to the human arc after this CGI crap is done. Shiraori is too good to not be animated.
the human arc will take awhile to reach,say maybe even 5+ episodes? if they decide to adapt it faithfully that is. i mean they can just rush it too so then 3episodes?

sam9502 said:
Its still super early right? Is it possible that this preview is not the final product? Maybe the CGI will look better when its out.

the chances of that r pretty low
TheDiabolicEsperJun 28, 2019 1:25 AM

Jul 6, 2019 6:26 PM

Dec 2015
one quick comment after reading these posts. do you guys know the DIFFERENCE between a LightNovel illustration and a manga illustration?

LIGHT NOVEL images are often drawn as a ONE OFF piece. basically: the artist gets told what's needed wanted bla bla bla, then the artist sits down and does some roughs, emails those roughs to the LN editorial staff and the author, those folks go yeah that's cool or change this that and the other thing and emails the artist back, the artist does some changes and another email chain happens, once the 'big picture' of the image is set up the artist does the work and back to the editors and author. on average how many images per Volume does a LN artist have to do? 12? 7-10 inside the book and maybe 2 Volume covers front/back or maybe just one bigger image if the 2 covers have one spread out image for each Volume?

MANGA is done periodically, repeatedly, weeks, months and once in a blue moon for YEARS at a time. manga art is simplistic, minimalistic, and generalized as much as possible. could you imagine trying to do something like the quality of a fantasy novel cover from like Michael Whelan, Mark Fredrickson, or Chris McGrath for panel after panel after panel of manga? of COURSE the LN art is going to be of a higher quality and more detailed than the manga art.

ANIME character design and art direction )both primary art and secondary art( is going to have to be, once again, repeatable and stylistically manageable. THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of frames will have to be created, even using computer aided drawing techniques, for the 'hand drawn style' scenes in anime. get ahold of the 'Darling in the FRANXX' DVD/BR sets, I forget if it's in Part1 or 2 and watch the Extras. using time lapse photography that Extra shows the ArtDirector sitting down and spending almost 2 HOURS! [I think] editing by hand, with pencil paper and eraser, TEN frames of animation for one character's facial expression.
KiliianSleipnirJul 6, 2019 6:37 PM
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

366 by Rimuru_11407 »»
Apr 21, 6:07 AM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

12 by SwordBreaker36 »»
Apr 19, 5:07 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2021

162 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 7, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 8, 2021

331 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 5, 2:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.