Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2018 12:42 AM
Jan 2018
The anime has barely started and its score is going down way too fast. I know P4G was awful but this is a different staff and people should stop giving it a 1/10 for no reason at all.

Yes this is not a perfect adaptation but its quite solid aside of the poorly animated fights.
KagariShiinauwuMay 6, 2018 6:37 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 29, 2018 12:45 AM

Apr 2016
1. The pacing is ... let's just say "strange".
2. They are giving too much focus to Akechi.
Apr 29, 2018 1:15 AM

Aug 2008
Yeah, the pacing is all over the place. If I wouldn't have played the game, I'd be very confused after the first couple of episodes.
I think to make everything easier to understand, it'd take more episodes, but since they want to cover the whole story in just 24 episodes, it's rushed and lacks better explanations for things.
Apr 29, 2018 1:49 AM

Mar 2014
Shitty pacing, also they already managed to fuck up the time line for no reason (the scene with Anne happened after they found the treasure when it was supposed to happen before). Not to mention that the art/animation is shit
Swagernator said:
2. They are giving too much focus to Akechi.
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 29, 2018 1:50 AM

Jul 2016
Its not appealing probably to others fast pacing and awful aoa. And dont trust scores, just watch.

Apr 29, 2018 2:21 AM

Aug 2017
It doesn't do enough as an adaptation, you might as well just play the game. Everyone's just slowly catching onto the fact that it's really average
Apr 29, 2018 6:39 AM

Jan 2016
It's gone down a lot since the mothers basement video.

I'm loving every second of it, it has it's flaws but I'm still enjoying it a lot.
Apr 29, 2018 8:02 AM

Jul 2016
The score is still going to change more. There are 45 thousand people watching but only 9 thousand have given scores so far.
Apr 29, 2018 8:55 AM
Mar 2018
The score is going down from all the people who played the game. If you also played it you'd know that the show's current pacing is pretty bad - they are trying to squeeze everything from game into single season and are skipping a lot of content because of that. They are trying to rush the story so hard that they have already showed all of the Joker's companions in the post-credits scene in the last episode...
Apr 29, 2018 9:03 AM

Nov 2016
People either aren't enjoying the game adaptation and they hate about it, or it's just for being not good.
Apr 29, 2018 3:17 PM

Jan 2017
A lot of people who played the game had high hopes for this adaptation (read: hype) and it just doesn't meet expectations.

Around 80-100 hours of gameplay (including cutscenes, battles, etc.) is crammed into 24*25 minute episodes. That's how you get pacing complaints.

At this point I'd rather watch playthrough videos than watching this adaptation.
Apr 29, 2018 5:12 PM
Oct 2014
Koyomi24 said:
The anime has barely started and it's score is going down way too fast. I know P4G was awful but this is s diferent staff and people should stop giving it a 1/10 for no reason at all.

Not as awful as your English, that's for sure.
Apr 29, 2018 6:22 PM
Jan 2018
Adome said:
Koyomi24 said:
The anime has barely started and it's score is going down way too fast. I know P4G was awful but this is s diferent staff and people should stop giving it a 1/10 for no reason at all.

I made this thread on my phone lol. Already fixed it.
Apr 29, 2018 6:24 PM
Jan 2018
If you guys think this is rushed as fuck you should see Chaos;Child. That was 40 hours of gameplay adapted in 12 episodes and as you can already tell it was extremely messy and awful.

Persona 5 is quite solid so far and while not a perfect adaptation its still competent and adapts most parts decently. I can see it improving over time.
KagariShiinauwuApr 29, 2018 6:32 PM
Apr 29, 2018 8:41 PM

Apr 2018
Adome said:
Koyomi24 said:

That's pretty damn harsh for one grammar mistake; not entirely sure why you feel the need to attack OP like that for stating his opinion

@Koyomi24
As someone who hasn't played the game, the anime is very interesting but it feels like it's missing something. It's certainly not a 1 tho. I'm definitely considering getting the game now
Apr 30, 2018 1:05 AM
Sep 2016
Adome said:
Koyomi24 said:

Not as awful as your punctuation. That's for sure.
1.1.Six
Apr 30, 2018 2:47 AM
Aug 2014
As someone who watched a playthrough that 100%'d the game, I can definitely agree the pacing is too fast. It feels like they're trying to rush through the story.

The animation and music are fine, but the story is lacking because of how fast they're pushing through it. I'm just worried that people who've never heard of P5 before are gonna watch it, think its meh, and think the game is meh too.

I rated it a 7/10.
Apr 30, 2018 4:59 AM

Apr 2015
I will say that it has a pretty great start compared to P4 the original anime.

But yeah, it is pretty strange in terms of pacing, it goes too fast for emotional impact or to care, but entertaining for people who played the games I guess.
May 1, 2018 12:29 AM

Jul 2016
But its better than P4GA thats for sure.

May 1, 2018 2:19 AM

Nov 2015
I haven't even played the game yet but it is pretty obvious that the pacing is awful. Another thing which sucks is the special effects, they just seem low budget and this coming from A1 I don't believe budget is a problem they face!
May 1, 2018 2:28 AM

Mar 2018
I still don't hate it that much but yeah, I can understand why people do.
It's nowhere near P4A level but let's wait for some confidant bonding.

May 1, 2018 2:29 AM

Jan 2011
You should have seen it coming.
May 1, 2018 2:37 AM

Mar 2018
ReaperCreeper said:
You should have seen it coming.

I see what you did there.

May 1, 2018 2:59 AM
Sep 2016
Cause it's bad and the scores from game fans can only keep you going for so long
1.1.Six
May 3, 2018 4:55 PM

Oct 2014
Video game adaptations (and VN like games)
Are just hard to do well.

If an adaptation makes you wonder if you should play the game instead of watching that show then the show has issues.

This show makes me question one thing though,
Why is A1 making it instead of production I.G who made the animated scenes in the game?
May 3, 2018 5:08 PM

Apr 2015
Simple, most game adaptations (if not all of them) tend to be pretty bad for the most part and from what I've been hearing so far, this one is no exception either. There's no way in hell that a game with 100+ hours of gameplay can be fully adapt in a 24 episode series and expect it to turn out well.
May 5, 2018 3:22 AM
Jul 2018
Koyomi24 said:
The anime has barely started and its score is going down way too fast. I know P4G was awful but this is a different staff and people should stop giving it a 1/10 for no reason at all.
Dude, the pacing is mediocre, animation is also mediocre. The fights are horribly bad. I expected meh pacing, but this animation and fight scenes is not what i expected from A-1
May 5, 2018 10:32 AM
Jan 2018
Mastergold said:
Simple, most game adaptations (if not all of them) tend to be pretty bad for the most part and from what I've been hearing so far, this one is no exception either. There's no way in hell that a game with 100+ hours of gameplay can be fully adapt in a 24 episode series and expect it to turn out well.
Honestly it could have been much worse and just be one cour. At least it can turn out decently with 2 cours.

It would be nice if this is just a decent adaptation where the source material is much better rather than an awful 12 episodes adaptation with a great source material (*cough* Chaos;Child *cough*)
KagariShiinauwuMay 5, 2018 10:39 AM
May 5, 2018 10:37 AM
Jan 2018
Bourmegar said:

If an adaptation makes you wonder if you should play the game instead of watching that show then the show has issues.

Why is A1 making it instead of production I.G who made the animated scenes in the game?
Video game/VN adaptations aren't really that hard. Its just that most of them lack enough episodes to fully adapt its source material.

I.G is kind of overworked right now with the FLCL projects and the (shitty) LOGH remake.
May 5, 2018 10:39 AM
Oct 2017
its not going down enough
May 5, 2018 10:39 AM

Oct 2014
Koyomi24 said:
Bourmegar said:

Video game/VN adaptations aren't really that hard. Its just that most of them lack enough episodes to fully adapt its source material.

I.G is kind of overworked right now with the FLCL projects and the (shitty) LOGH remake.

They weren't doing these projects when Persona 5 was being made, they could have made the Series alongside with the game.
May 5, 2018 2:02 PM
Oct 2015
I mean. It is just ok. It is not as bad as many people say it is. The director is experimenting with the art style and he is improving bit by bit. If you recall Shinsekai Yori, the art, in the beginning, was not good and got progressively better after episode 8. It is a good show in the works. So far, I am mostly satisfied with what I got. Also, the soundtrack feels less out of place. If that is reassuring, it is miles better than Persona 4 the Golden Animation. That is for sure. I believe the score keeps going down because many fans cannot understand that you cannot squeeze easily a 100-hours game into 5 hours tv-series easily and the pacing is pretty good so far with the density of material they have. 3 episodes for each palace is already 18 episodes in total. So they are left with 6 extra episodes for character interactions and for
. So, I am staying with a positive mindset because I know the director is more than capable of improving as the series goes along. But, I only wish they don't f@ck up Fab Boi's character arc or I will be mad.
May 5, 2018 2:12 PM

Mar 2012
people who played the game being disappointed and/or people who haven't played the game yet not understanding anything

plus pacing
May 5, 2018 2:40 PM

Feb 2016
Scores can still change every time. Don't let it bother you. The Anime is getting some hate. Many people are way too disappointed. I don't like the Anime but I still won't give it a score until it's finished.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
May 5, 2018 2:42 PM

Mar 2010
Persona 4 disappointed me so greatly that i dont even bother with this series. Just happened to see this thread and i am happy with my choice.
May 5, 2018 4:23 PM

Jul 2012
AlexJ256 said:
The score is going down from all the people who played the game. If you also played it you'd know that the show's current pacing is pretty bad - they are trying to squeeze everything from game into single season and are skipping a lot of content because of that. They are trying to rush the story so hard that they have already showed all of the Joker's companions in the post-credits scene in the last episode...

They didn't skip anything special at all thus far, and the only actually rushed part was day one of school in episode 1, much like P4's adaptation (and that could be fixed in the BD release just like it).

The pacing may be blazing fast, but the things they HAVE to adapt, they ARE adapting. they only rearranged that scene with Ann and put Ryuuji's social link altogether with Kamoshida's arc, which was pretty fitting and convinient, besides not giving one second for the whole thing to breathe.

The rest of the "skipped" content is the day by day stuff, which isn't really necessary at all, unless we are talking about social links and minor details, like the citizen talk transitions (being adapted here and there already), some foreshadowing for certain events and character introductions (no problem on that front either thus far) and maybe certain significant main cast moments that helps giving you some time to get casual with them like friends, thing the game does very well, especially in P4, and I'm glad they adapted some of those in there (the SLs could be adapted later too, like they did with the already mentioned P4... hopefully not as episodic as to feel filler-ish).

I've played through the game 3 times and platinum-ed it already, all I see are people trying to blame the fast as hell pacing for major issues it didn't actually have just yet (the Ann thing only left her character arc slightly less independant, it's not like it ruined any depths of her presentation), when they are actually more bothered by the fact the animation isn't what they expected to be (and to be fair, outside the VERY poorly delivered battles, the animation per se is looking really good in all of the other scenes, much like the in-game cutscenes, it's just missing the celshading gloriousness that defined the game so well, and that would be asking too much).
DanpmssMay 5, 2018 4:41 PM
May 5, 2018 4:23 PM

Apr 2017
I think that the game is so much better in storytelling
May 5, 2018 4:44 PM

Jul 2012
iggykimi said:
I think that the game is so much better in storytelling

That complain however is reasonable enough, and I agree. The storytelling of you having the whole year displayed in details day by day without ever breaking the flow of the gameplay make the plot related cutscenes feel much more smoother than presenting them all at once.

But I don't think for a TV adaptation we could get that thing going as smoothly either. It only works because of its medium. To make it work in anime, I think they are doing quite a nice job, besides messing up the animation in battle (and those... uuurgh, horrible All Out Attacks).
May 5, 2018 4:54 PM

Aug 2016
it's quite simple actually

the anime is adapting over 100 hours of gameplay full of character development and storytelling into an anime that's only meant to be 10 hours long max (provided it's one season which it'll almost certainly be).

Much has already been said of the pacing but it can't be stressed enough. the adaptation of persona 5 alienates not only those who played the game but those who are anime only watchers too. The pace is too rapid and there is so much content ripped out to satisfy those who played the game and also those who are simply watching without playing the game who can barely understand anything as the context is paper thin and it seems like a train wreck without the knowledge that the game provides.

Therefore this persona 5 anime satisfies nobody and alienates both sides. not even to mention the fact that persona 5 is one of the playstation's best ever critically acclaimed rpg's and that A-1's animation quality is pitiful compared to persona 5's (game) animation and artstyle which is noteworthy of itself

slán abhaile corcaigh
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

☘ ☘ ☘

Currently stealing your heart,
your women and also your job

May 5, 2018 4:58 PM
Mar 2018
Because people are extremely critical and quite sensitive when it comes to their favorite JRPG getting an anime adaptation, which honestly shouldn’t be the case. We all know that Persona 5 is 100+ hours of gameplay and there’s only 24 episodes to adapt it, but people are just not giving the anime enough credit for what it’s done.

In my opinion, it has been quite a decent adaptation so far—with the exception of the animation, fast pace, and Goro’s constant cameo. Even then, the art still holds up quite well in the most necessary times and the fast pace is not as fast as people say it is (anime-only viewers still understand what’s happening from what I can tell of the forums, or are at least griped by the anime so far). As for Akechi’s constant appearances, I can only assume that they are either making him more involved with the plot or giving the Japanese their fan service. I can only hope that it is the former, but I’ll still give the Japanese the credit they deserve—the West undermines Akechi’s character anyways, leading to his unneeded hate.

But as an anime adaptation itself, it still covers all of the important points from the game. Sure, the anime does switch around a few scenes and even changes some entirely, but in the end, each scene still has the same amount of importance of that from the game; though I can agree that most of the scenes aren’t as impactful, with the exception of a few scenes like Ann’s speech to Kamoshida, which I thought had more impact than the game did.

So TL:DR, those who have played the game get extremely defensive and criticizes everything in the anime because it “doesn’t hold up to the greatness of Persona 5,” dismissing the good qualities of the anime, hence giving the anime a low score after only a few episodes. What people don’t understand is that, in any type of anime adaptation, the original source will be the superior of the two a majority of the time, so this doesn’t solely apply to Persona 5. The argument of “why watch the anime when you could just play the game” is just an excuse to call the anime bad when it could be said about every other anime. It’s just people are blindly bashing on the anime without thinking the same for other anime because of their bias for Persona 5.
RyunskeMay 5, 2018 5:01 PM
May 5, 2018 5:04 PM

Jul 2012
Ryunske said:
Because people are extremely critical and quite sensitive when it comes to their favorite JRPG getting an anime adaptation, which honestly shouldn’t be the case. We all know that Persona 5 is 100+ hours of gameplay and there’s only 24 episodes to adapt it, but people are just not giving the anime enough credit for what it’s done.

In my opinion, it has been quite a decent adaptation so far—with the exception of the animation, fast pace, and Goro’s constant cameo. Even then, the art still holds up quite well in the most necessary times and the fast pace is not as fast as people say it is (anime-only viewers still understand what’s happening from what I can tell of the forums, or are at least griped by the anime so far). As for Akechi’s constant appearances, I can only assume that they are either making him for involved with the plot or giving the Japanese their fan service. I can only hope that it is the former, but I’ll still give the Japanese the credit they deserve—the West undermines Akechi’s character anyways, leading to his unneeded hate.

But as an anime adaptation itself, it still covers all of the important points from the game. Sure, the anime does switch around a few scenes and even changes some entirely, but in the end, each scene still has the same amount of importance of that from the game; though I can agree that most of the scenes aren’t as impactful, with the exception of a few scenes like Ann’s speech to Kamoshida, which I thought had more impact than the game did.

So TL:DR, those who have played the game get extremely defensive and criticizes everything in the anime because it “doesn’t hold up to the greatness of Persona 5,” dismissing the good qualities of the anime, hence giving the anime a low score after only a few episodes. What people don’t understand is that, in any type of anime adaptation, the original source will be the superior of the two a majority of the time, so this doesn’t solely apply to Persona 5. It’s just people are blindly bashing on the anime without thinking the same for other anime because of their bias for Persona 5.

Thank god, someone who gets it.

The adaptation thus far is actually really good, some issues aside with the presentation, particularly in the first episode.

There's no essential content missing at all. Though I must say the arcana of each character could be displayed during the eyecatches, like in P4 the animation (and the stats as well, as part of the fun), but that's not really an issue.

May 5, 2018 6:56 PM
Aug 2015
It's because they (who gave the low score) have played the game. I haven't played the game and I'm enjoying the anime so far..
renzosparkMay 5, 2018 6:59 PM
May 5, 2018 7:34 PM

Jul 2012
renzospark said:
It's because they (who gave the low score) have played the game. I haven't played the game and I'm enjoying the anime so far..
I played as well, and I say the adaptation is good.
May 5, 2018 8:01 PM

Jan 2011
Ryunske said:

In my opinion, it has been quite a decent adaptation so far—with the exception of the animation, fast pace, and Goro’s constant cameo. Even then, the art still holds up quite well in the most necessary times and the fast pace is not as fast as people say it is (anime-only viewers still understand what’s happening from what I can tell of the forums, or are at least griped by the anime so far). As for Akechi’s constant appearances, I can only assume that they are either making him more involved with the plot or giving the Japanese their fan service. I can only hope that it is the former, but I’ll still give the Japanese the credit they deserve—the West undermines Akechi’s character anyways, leading to his unneeded hate.

So TL:DR, those who have played the game get extremely defensive and criticizes everything in the anime because it “doesn’t hold up to the greatness of Persona 5,” dismissing the good qualities of the anime, hence giving the anime a low score after only a few episodes. What people don’t understand is that, in any type of anime adaptation, the original source will be the superior of the two a majority of the time, so this doesn’t solely apply to Persona 5. The argument of “why watch the anime when you could just play the game” is just an excuse to call the anime bad when it could be said about every other anime. It’s just people are blindly bashing on the anime without thinking the same for other anime because of their bias for Persona 5.

Just gonna say the anime failed to explain what the mea-verse is and congtion.
you can't leave that out.

I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
May 5, 2018 8:10 PM
Aug 2015
Danpmss said:
renzospark said:
I played as well, and I say the adaptation is good.
Glad to hear that. They should've ignored this adaptation considering it's the same studio that adapted the predecessor.
May 5, 2018 8:30 PM
Mar 2018
MasterHavik said:
Ryunske said:

Just gonna say the anime failed to explain what the mea-verse is and congtion.
you can't leave that out.

They did, though it’s probably expected that some people didn’t catch it due to the fact that it was Morgana explaining it while an action scene was taking place, such as Ryuji’s Awakening or when they were searching the Palace.

But it’s pretty easy to comprehend anyways: the Metaverse is where a person’s distorted desires materializes, hence Kamoshida and his castle. And Kamoshida did react to certain events that would change his cognition, such as when he stopped beating Shiho when he found them within the Metaverse and when his Palace went on high alert once he saw the calling card, so one can easily connect the dots.
May 5, 2018 11:48 PM

Nov 2009
The pacing is too fast. I knew even with 2 cour it isn't enough.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

May 6, 2018 1:56 AM

Apr 2018
Cause A1's money went to sao III
May 6, 2018 8:52 AM

Aug 2015
Hmm, let's see.
Horrible pacing
Ryuji and Ann are very one-dimensional compared to they game counterparts
Laughable production values
Shitty all-out attacks
Everything is rushed
Plus the CGI student

For people who are still watching the anime please drop it and play the game if you can plus the game is hell cheap now.
May 6, 2018 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
A-1 Pictures is doing another "Gyakuten Saiban". Shitty animation and rushed adaptation.

A shame because both games had potential for a good anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

143 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 15, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2018

40 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 14, 11:37 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2018

32 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 14, 11:14 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 13 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

6 by ArctiKFox »»
Feb 21, 10:27 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

4 by ArctiKFox »»
Feb 16, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.