Forum Settings
Forums

Anime community gets cancerous because of anime becoming mainstream?

New
Are you feeling the cancerous state of the anime community?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 22, 2018 4:33 AM

Jul 2008
I disagree with the OP. I signed up on this site a full decade ago and was fairly aware of anime fandom back in 2001, in the dial-up and geocities era of the Internet. (Shudder)

I can't say the community is any more cancerous now than it was back then. Sure, there are immature clowns, but no more of them per capita than there were 10 or 20 years ago. If anything, with the medium's increased popularity, it's easier to find interesting people to discuss common interests with.
Apr 22, 2018 7:46 AM

Dec 2017
YoungVagabond said:
I disagree with the OP. I signed up on this site a full decade ago and was fairly aware of anime fandom back in 2001, in the dial-up and geocities era of the Internet. (Shudder)

I can't say the community is any more cancerous now than it was back then. Sure, there are immature clowns, but no more of them per capita than there were 10 or 20 years ago. If anything, with the medium's increased popularity, it's easier to find interesting people to discuss common interests with.

i see. this may be a difference in the pov. you've gone through a lot of shit and the definition of cancer constantly changed throughout the years (in the anime field). now, i on the other hand haven't seen most of the things that you did, the way i judged here is through different mediums, like movie and gaming industries, that had changed under the influence of the popularization
Apr 22, 2018 8:41 AM

Jan 2012
People like to whine and cry about a multitude of things. This should be no surprise.Take the Death Note Netflix series, people complained about white-washing, and race changes. It takes place in the US.. This would be different if it was set in Japan. It's just that director's interpretation. People treated it as if it was a carbon copy of the anime and not a stand-alone title.

Not even going to go into the political environment these days which is heavily toxic already without the SJWs and the feminazi plague. The people who are going to cry about it are going to cry about everything. It's like subtitles versus dubbed anime. People like to think that they're more of an anime fan for watching subtitled.

People fail to understand that the reason subtitled sounds more "emotional" is because they can't understand the language. You can't understand the cheesy dialogue they have to deliver because you can't understand the language. Going by that, if you watch something in English and it's your first language then you can hear every mistake, you can hear and comprehend every time they deliver those cringe inducing lines. Even if you understand Japanese, if it's not your first language then dialect is still foreign to you.

I'm fine with anime becoming more mainstream, the notion that if something is popular then it completely ruins it is just silly. It needs more support, because without adultswim era fans the newer generation is going to have a harder time picking up anime since there aren't many mainstream media mediums that are out there to grab people's interest. A lot of people will stick to what they know they like, so when it comes to media platforms that give choice, unless you were curious about anime before or are interested in it then there is a smaller chance you'd be willing to give it a try.

People just need to accept it and adapt.
Apr 22, 2018 8:51 AM

Sep 2017
Why would it be ?

I would say the opposite: the more mainstream and less "otaku" it becomes the better.
Apr 22, 2018 9:09 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I'll agree that the anime community, especially recently is pretty dramatic and bringing an uproar of embarrassment. But I honestly think those fans are fans who've been here all along, they're not all new. The ones sending death threats to creators and fighting about wifus to a disgusting degree have to be fans so enveloped in the community that I have a hard time believing they're new.

New fans 8:10 will probably not go as deep as to have these flame wars on twitter. They'll mostly be casual and maybe frequent of forum. But by no means go out and be the normie you all think they'll be.
Apr 22, 2018 9:16 AM

Apr 2014
thats the way the alleged correlation goes. i still say its subjective to how a person interacts with members and the personalities of those members. for example, i hardly interact with anyone ever on this site or any other anime medium, and i still never discuss anime or such other than some trivial posts on this board specifically so i still don't know of this cancer you peak of.
Apr 22, 2018 9:44 AM

Aug 2017
Most of the time the old fans who by the time gets more and more obsessive towards their hobbies tend to become agressive and quite toxic. Casuals fans don't really care about such things and just watch anime for fun. I agree with you that it's truly sickening how people complain and whine all the damn time it's really annoying. Sure you can freely complain about something that you would disagree with but whenever it gets out of hand and people start complaining about any specific thing 24/7 of course it will getting cancerous.
Apr 22, 2018 10:52 AM

Dec 2017
Ahri said:
It's like subtitles versus dubbed anime. People like to think that they're more of an anime fan for watching subtitled.

People fail to understand that the reason subtitled sounds more "emotional" is because they can't understand the language. You can't understand the cheesy dialogue they have to deliver because you can't understand the language. Going by that, if you watch something in English and it's your first language then you can hear every mistake, you can hear and comprehend every time they deliver those cringe inducing lines. Even if you understand Japanese, if it's not your first language then dialect is still foreign to you.

well, this is quite off-topic. i prefer it sub because most of the dubbed dialogues sound cringy to me, and you're absolutely right, it's because i don't understand japanese. that's why i'd rather hear some emotional blabbering-desu on the background while reading the text normally instead of cringing

there are few dubbed titles that are definitely better than subbed, but imo it's a rare case
Apr 22, 2018 11:01 AM

Jul 2017
It gets cancerous because the whole Internet is getting cancerous, not only anime
Apr 22, 2018 11:02 AM

Aug 2017
anime community was always cancerous
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2018 11:04 AM
Aug 2013
Lol, that's why you should watch rated R-18 or MA 15+ anime...I think anime is better now but not all anime is good now. Even though I prefer old style animation there's really no doubt the art has got better and in terms of what makes an anime good we can do better n 2018. Look at fate stay unlimited blade works absolutely flawless anime and other anime such as kekkai sensen was basically perfect for art style and production. Madhouse anime really set the bar especially Hunter x hunter 2011...what makes an anime good is the manga and the rest comes down to how it's interpreted through animation. Madhouse are good at bringing mangas to life and staying true to the manga and capturing the same feeling in animation that the manga readers got when reading. Anime is only getting better but that also depends if more good manga come out
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 22, 2018 11:05 AM

Mar 2015
degenerate said:
anime community was always cancerous

This^ You can't ruin something that's already ruined
Apr 22, 2018 11:10 AM

Mar 2017
You OP are the cancer for suggesting any of this.
Apr 22, 2018 11:19 AM

Dec 2017
AnimeDownUnder said:
Lol, that's why you should watch rated R-18 or MA 15+ anime...I think anime is better now but not all anime is good now. Even though I prefer old style animation there's really no doubt the art has got better and in terms of what makes an anime good we can do better n 2018. Look at fate stay unlimited blade works absolutely flawless anime and other anime such as kekkai sensen was basically perfect for art style and production. Madhouse anime really set the bar especially Hunter x hunter 2011...what makes an anime good is the manga and the rest comes down to how it's interpreted through animation. Madhouse are good at bringing mangas to life and staying true to the manga and capturing the same feeling in animation that the manga readers got when reading. Anime is only getting better but that also depends if more good manga come out

i think you deviated from the topic i meant towards "the improvement of quality of anime" quite a bit

Air-117 said:
You OP are the cancer for suggesting any of this.

whatever you say, b0ss
Apr 23, 2018 2:26 AM
Aug 2013
i think you deviated from the topic i meant towards "the improvement of quality of anime" quite a bit

in terms of animation quality it's getting better, maybe you just got unlucky with a few bad anime

~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 23, 2018 2:31 AM

Aug 2017
A community which can react so vigorously to a ship getting a single crack on it is imo not "Getting cancerous", But already at its PEAK of cancer
Apr 23, 2018 4:22 AM

Oct 2017
Every community will get cancerous the bigger the number of fans get. It's already a phenomenon that society have (especially with the dawn of online communities) so it's kind of useless to point that out. While the anime community is becoming more mainstream, I still think we are one of the quieter groups out there and our cancer trait is at least more self-contained in a sense. I have no idea what the state is like in Japan but Westerners talk about other things way more than anime, hence why other things seem more cancerous. It's the vocal ones that define how cancerous a community is after all.

If a huge community stayed pure even after a decade of time has passed, then that's going to be one of the biggest miracles in the modern age of mankind.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Apr 23, 2018 4:44 AM

Mar 2014
Mainstream makes it (the community) better. All the "normal" people I know that watch anime don't complain about it, they don't exist on forums in a large percentage, they're just people watching cartoons and having a lot of fun doing it, it's honestly refreshing.
Apr 23, 2018 5:00 AM
Jul 2015
Well, I've been watching anime for three years (I mean since I am on MAL) and I've watching anime since Captain Tsubasa was on in 1990.

I rarely post on forums or here for that matter. I really don't give a crap what's "your" opinion on the anime or tv series or movie. I don't give a rat's ass about critics. I do read reviews and I still watch the anime. After all the hate I know (I am not that oblivious) I watch Sword Art Online and I neither become fan or hater and I couldn't care less about anyone thinks about what I think. I make my reviews. If you enjoy good if you don't good as well. I don't earn money so that's that.

I have facebook and a blog and you know what I think about anyone comment on my profile? If they are good things I respond if not I ignore. I do the same here on MAL.

Cancer is just another word for stupid people doing stupid things. Dont blame "younger" generations - blame the internet... but why should you? IT will help? nope.

I advice everyone, watch anime, talk about your favourite or least favorite but when you enter a field of insulting because I like A or B - I just A) report them or B) Ignore them.

Please don't make dramas about people not enjoying your favorite anime or tv series.

I still watch crappy anime and good anime. There are good reviewers here on MAL that I follow. People who can make good criticisms without insulting the director, animator or character. Search for them. People who say - this is crap and the director should be fired or die - are people you need to block. That's not criticism it's plain evil or even worse - stupid.

My two cents? Don't give a rat's ass about bad people. Ignore them. If you enter their game - they win because they've been playing a lot of time.

Trolls? Oh my , there have been trolls since ever. Nowadays they are only more because people fall and give them attention.

I am 37 and still watch anime (A LOT) and I am going to watch until they stop making. I've watching for 25 years at least - and I still love them.
perkunos.blogspot.com
Apr 23, 2018 6:21 AM

Dec 2017
Paulo_Goncalves said:
Well, I've been watching anime for three years (I mean since I am on MAL) and I've watching anime since Captain Tsubasa was on in 1990.

I rarely post on forums or here for that matter. I really don't give a crap what's "your" opinion on the anime or tv series or movie. I don't give a rat's ass about critics. I do read reviews and I still watch the anime. After all the hate I know (I am not that oblivious) I watch Sword Art Online and I neither become fan or hater and I couldn't care less about anyone thinks about what I think. I make my reviews. If you enjoy good if you don't good as well. I don't earn money so that's that.

I have facebook and a blog and you know what I think about anyone comment on my profile? If they are good things I respond if not I ignore. I do the same here on MAL.

Cancer is just another word for stupid people doing stupid things. Dont blame "younger" generations - blame the internet... but why should you? IT will help? nope.

I advice everyone, watch anime, talk about your favourite or least favorite but when you enter a field of insulting because I like A or B - I just A) report them or B) Ignore them.

Please don't make dramas about people not enjoying your favorite anime or tv series.

I still watch crappy anime and good anime. There are good reviewers here on MAL that I follow. People who can make good criticisms without insulting the director, animator or character. Search for them. People who say - this is crap and the director should be fired or die - are people you need to block. That's not criticism it's plain evil or even worse - stupid.

My two cents? Don't give a rat's ass about bad people. Ignore them. If you enter their game - they win because they've been playing a lot of time.

Trolls? Oh my , there have been trolls since ever. Nowadays they are only more because people fall and give them attention.

I am 37 and still watch anime (A LOT) and I am going to watch until they stop making. I've watching for 25 years at least - and I still love them.

admirable position, sir. while i agree with the report/ignore statement, sometimes the stupidity is overflowing the needed level of patience of ignoring it. but you probably have enough patience to withstand the retardness of these people, considering your experience
Apr 23, 2018 6:21 AM

Dec 2017
AdolChri said:
Well, OP is pretty cancerous, so...

hello, hello, long time no see. how are you?
Apr 23, 2018 6:52 AM
Jul 2015
uninstallthegame said:
Paulo_Goncalves said:

admirable position, sir. while i agree with the report/ignore statement, sometimes the stupidity is overflowing the needed level of patience of ignoring it. but you probably have enough patience to withstand the retardness of these people, considering your experience

I work at a call center. (this should be enough right lol) we are train at that. Caring and helping and never think those words are aim at me. And thanks and i understand. Nowadays i am supervisor (after 7 years) and i only get angry reclamation s that the operators cant handle...
perkunos.blogspot.com
Apr 23, 2018 7:21 AM

Nov 2014
Where's the "It's already cancerous" option?

Seriously though, talking with people in real life about anime is on average more meaningful than with someone online. Sure once in a while you'll find someone online, then over time you build a group of people you talk to. But you can do the same with a close group of friends, and there just isn't that random person that'll pop in with a really uninsightful comment in real life.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 23, 2018 7:29 AM

May 2017
I don't have any problem until and unless good stuff keeps coming i mean anime and manga.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2018 7:37 AM

Aug 2014
Mainstream? where? Here everyone is more like a closet watcher or an outcast dork by society ;). Joke aside the few "normal" looking anime casual watchers that I know counting out myself is not here on animeforums what so over. They watch naruto, one piece and AoT. And thats more it :P
Apr 23, 2018 8:58 AM
Jul 2015
I think the main problem is calling normal or mainstream.
What's mainstream nowadays?

You've got niches everywhere. People that love Walking Dead may hate Game of Thrones or some CSI show or other show. Everything is mainstream nowadays - anime as well.

If you wanna compare Game of Thrones to a anime TV Series I would say you are wrong. Do you have a number of people that watch some of the most popular anime in the world like Death Note, FMA or other?

Dragonball is mainstream - everybody watch it. EVERYBODY watched at least an episode. In Portugal everybody watch it when it came out in 2000's. Probably everyone knows or heard about it.

I think saying that cancerous or something like that is getting worse because it's being mainstream is absurd. The only thing that's cancer it's Hippop! (I like metal and I am joking of course).

Cancer only exist within ourselves and we die. In society it's temporary then it passes... My god - Will and Grace (remember the show?) got death threats. Seth Gilliam (The Walking Dead), Carice van Houten (Game of Thrones) Josh McDermitt (The Walking Dead) Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad) or Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey) received death threats... Unless you are living the novel of Misery by Stephen King there are always a lunatic or two or ten that follows a show.
perkunos.blogspot.com
Apr 24, 2018 12:35 PM

Oct 2015
You want to know what's more cancerous than mainstream ones?

Elitist and hipster anime fandoms (under radar ones in example, Gundam IBO)
Apr 24, 2018 12:45 PM

Nov 2016
The community was already cancer and with more popularity more cancerous becomes, simple.
Apr 24, 2018 2:21 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
As ive stated several times before... I kinda miss the days when I just watched and enjoyed anime and never talked to others about it

But it's worth it due to many of the people I have met on my anime journey to convert everyone on MAL into a moe and ecchi fan
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - Yesterday

12 by Chufal »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - Yesterday

16 by animejas »»
2 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 10 hours ago

30 by KietaTeenRomance »»
5 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

37 by animejas »»
6 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 4 hours ago

76 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.