Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Dec 25, 2010 3:26 AM

Nov 2010
I think this would be better if it ended on episode 9 with Hayami and Hirose kissing on the hill during the festivile... 8/10 overall it was a good anime
Dec 26, 2010 7:15 AM

Sep 2009
guys can i ask???
i already finished this anime 2yrs ago but in think this anime have a manga and in what chapter did this anime stopped??

just curios i'd like to read it ^....,^
Jan 4, 2011 7:45 PM

Aug 2010
yuzuko said:
The game is better than the anime......

if that's true I guess I should play it.
As for the anime I think it was pretty bad. I couldn't care less if any of the characters died. Looks like the show wasn't able to make feel for the characters. And the ending killed the show even more. Overall I think this show deserves a 5/10.
Ragna92Jan 5, 2011 9:00 AM
Mar 18, 2011 10:28 AM
Nov 2010
I'm late, but I give it an 11/10. Honestly.
Mar 20, 2011 12:37 AM

Mar 2010
Pretty horrible Anime when you compare it to many of the others out there.
May 3, 2011 5:15 PM

Sep 2009
When Maki walked up with a baby, Hotaru said he looks more like his father. To me it looked like the baby that Maki had looked like Hirose.
May 7, 2011 4:44 PM

Feb 2009
My impression of the last episode was:

And here I thought this show would get a sad, but meaningful conclusion. This whole lolreset ending ruined everything the last episodes managed to build up...
May 20, 2011 12:06 AM

Apr 2011
I'm super happy the ending was a happy one :DDD all in all I really enjoyed this anime, was sad and tear jerking at times, but aside form that I really enjoyed it. =D 5/5 for teh episodeee xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2011 9:45 AM

Feb 2010
What the heck are you guys talking about? I may be crazy, but it seems to me that a lot of people seem to be rating this anime harshly.
Sure Hirose resetting his life and stuff was really sudden and stuff, but if it ended on episode 9 that would be the obvious ending everyone would expect.

In my opinion, an anime that has an unexpected ending is even more beautiful.
Beautiful anime, I couldn't help but cry at the end since the "footprints in the sand" concept was taken from the poem by Mary Stevenson.

I felt particularly attached to Hayami. Hirose was really just some girly guy that really had no depth, but the one that we see change dramatically throughout the series is Hayami-chan. Although I do admit some parts were rushed and almost as if it were forced into the plot (and seemed unnecessary), I really like this anime.
I usually HATE romance animes since it's just so GUSHY and unreal.
It makes me barf when they get all lovey-dovey, but this anime did the opposite for me.

Also, just to add on, I believe that in the end Hayami-chan got hit by a train. Now people didn't see how that was necessary but after that Hirose got his vision back and he snapped out of it. The reason he turned back to a little child was for psychological confusion or something and the realization that his mother didn't abandon him, but loved him even when she was hit by the train was demonstrated through Hayami-chan. In the end, you see Hayami-chan again but that's not really her. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been so surprised and they built that wind mill in memory of her. What you saw in the end, was most likely Hayami's spirit.

---

xMafiax said:

I totally agree with everything you said

EarlCielJun 27, 2011 9:19 PM
Jul 9, 2011 11:50 PM

Nov 2007
very bad or horrible seems fitting .... 2/3 out of 10. this went downhill all after she became Hotaru and he chose annoying Hayami. honestly I couldn't stand Hayami, the pitying her or the bullying I just didn't care. none of the characters were very interesting and most were just annoying.

Hirose had more personality changes and relapses. he saves her and moves away with her because he thinks she's his MOTHER? WTF? then he thinks she gets hit by a train and he becomes normal again and can see? ................... speechless. I'm assuming she did die and good riddance. I could have tolerated the ending if he ended wit Hotaru or someone else but no.... a little girl ghost and a Hayami ghost.

this series sucked hard. especially that random episode that had no impact at all and was just weird. again none of the characters were very likable, not much made a lot of sense, and the plot sucked. so many useless, boring side characters that stuck around but never did much.
Aug 2, 2011 3:46 PM
Jun 2011
Awesome series! I was quite suprised by the extremely emotional ending - rivals Clannad.

I don't agree that it was Hayami's spirit in the ending....I think she was reincarnated as Otoha told him that itwas quite difficult to do this - and to "Take care of her this time"

Beautiful story.....it makes me tear up quite easily.
Sep 12, 2011 6:07 PM

Nov 2009
I liked the show generally..Otoha and Yui being cute as a button. But the one thing that bugs me...is who is Maki's baby's father? I suspect it may be Hamaji's but it looked an awful lot like Takuma. If it is the latter, that may be hard to explain to Hayami after her spiritual resurrection.
RiptosSep 12, 2011 6:21 PM
Sep 22, 2011 10:11 AM
Sep 2011
Well all over the internet everyone says that the Babies father is indeed Hamaji. I guess you could tell that by the babies hair color and them switching to the scene of Hamaji on the bench right after talking about the baby. I really enjoyed this anime, just finished it like 5 minutes ago. I'm happy Takuma gets Hayami at the end. Apparently, she was PHYSICALLY resurrected from what I've been reading. So she is a human, not a spirit form. I guess that is why Otoha told Takuma to take care of her this time. How could he take care of a spirit? Great Ending, Enjoyed every minute of it. (That train scene with Hayami dying...Made me kuss...I thought she was going to be on the other side...of the tracks.. instead she stood there with that kid and let them both die...shocking...) Fight!
Oct 1, 2011 4:06 AM

Oct 2009
I really liked the poem haha, my aunt & uncle used it at their wedding ceremony :P

So this topic cleared a lot up for me, cause I was like "wtf just happend" after the last 15 minutes.

Still I don't understand why Hayami didn't take the child off the rails, I mean they were damn close to the other side of the road. I was hoping that when the train passed, Hayami and the child would stand there alive haha.
The ending cleared a lot up for me, but it's still a "wtf" anime for me, so I'm gonna rate it a 6/10
Oct 29, 2011 9:50 PM

May 2008
7/10 oh well it was such a strange anime but it ended alright.
Jan 1, 2012 7:19 PM

Jan 2012
Most Beautiful Ending Ever... So Where's The Sequel ?
This Was A Beautiful Series And I Hope Someone Can Convince The Producer To Make A Second Season There Are Too Many Good Shows That Are To Short Especially Shows Such As These I Deeply Hope For A Sequel I Mean You Gotta Agree Right?
Jan 8, 2012 9:46 AM
Oct 2011
Overall 7/10.
I thought it was good but so much better Animes which have un expecting twists as well! The baby made me think for a while whose it was then I realised.
Feb 6, 2012 9:36 PM

Sep 2011
alert105 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
yay she comes back from the dead!! but is she a spirit or is it actually real? and he has his eyes back and working also everyone is grown up wonder how many years have gone by.?

I'm guessing maybe 5-7 years passed since the incident? They don't look that old, and Hamaji was old enough to marry (yes, the child was Hamaji's since he sneezed while they were talking about the "father" which is an old superstition).

Since Takuma was never really cured of his blindness and he imagined it, it's likely there was never an Otoha, either. That would probably mean Chibi-Otoha was just a figment of his imagination and so was the reincarnated Hayami.

HOWEVER, I hate sad endings so I like to believe that Otoha really did guide Takumi through his life, and she really did bring Hayami back. :) So let's just leave it at that!
Mar 8, 2012 11:43 AM

Feb 2012
i did not like this ending at all.

Mar 10, 2012 7:50 PM

Jan 2012
bobby71983 said:

1. Hayami's parents apparently exploited all the villagers for their own gains (pretty severely judging from the Hotaru's grandfather and villager's attitude towards Hayami). They just want Hayami to suffer.

2. You're taking the train scene too literally frame-by-frame. The anime producers just wanted to add more impact/emotion to the scene by showing Hayami looking back at Hirose. The viewers will see this as Hayami has plenty of time to save the kid and dodge the train when it fact she doesn't. You'll never enjoy any movies/anime/shows if you're watching it the way you are now. Don't get me wrong, I know exactly where you're coming from because I used to pick shows apart by finding plot holes this way. Give it some time and try to understand what I'm trying to say. I wish you best of luck :)

As for my reaction to the series,

Story - great though a bit rushed
Music - good
Art - too colorful
Animation - good
Characters - does not serve justice to the story/plot/theme of this story. They're just too young imo. Though Hayami and Otoha were great.

7.5/10 from me
flaxman85Mar 10, 2012 7:55 PM
May 21, 2012 10:21 PM

Jul 2011
flaxman85 said:
bobby71983 said:

1. Hayami's parents apparently exploited all the villagers for their own gains (pretty severely judging from the Hotaru's grandfather and villager's attitude towards Hayami). They just want Hayami to suffer.

2. You're taking the train scene too literally frame-by-frame. The anime producers just wanted to add more impact/emotion to the scene by showing Hayami looking back at Hirose. The viewers will see this as Hayami has plenty of time to save the kid and dodge the train when it fact she doesn't. You'll never enjoy any movies/anime/shows if you're watching it the way you are now. Don't get me wrong, I know exactly where you're coming from because I used to pick shows apart by finding plot holes this way. Give it some time and try to understand what I'm trying to say. I wish you best of luck :)

As for my reaction to the series,

Story - great though a bit rushed
Music - good
Art - too colorful
Animation - good
Characters - does not serve justice to the story/plot/theme of this story. They're just too young imo. Though Hayami and Otoha were great.

7.5/10 from me

Except she didn't save the kid at all, she just sat there hugging him. Jumping on a train track to get hit by a train with a random stranger is nonsensical.

At any rate, I found this show to be pretty poor in general. From the entire premise of how he's blind, can see (but not in reality?) then is blind again(apparently always was) then can see again (but can he really?). The 180 by the entire cast in terms of relationships with Hayami, and her ability to forgive everyone even though they called her cockroach and tormented her....and on and on and on...Just a show I found to be very poor plotwise and in execution. 4/10

Jun 12, 2012 2:07 AM
Sep 2011
i didnt really care for this series however this episode was sad when Hayami got hit by the train and i was glad she came back, this episode made the series better for me
Jun 29, 2012 5:30 PM

May 2012
shes really alive(but i cant convey my self that shes a live).. a spirit dont get aged(a spirit will remain at age where at aged she died), just like otoha she still remain child.. its just like some sort of clannad ending.. if they want them to die then dont bring it back to life in the end, or dont let them die in the first place.. sorry for bad english :)
Dark_MessiahJun 29, 2012 6:28 PM

Aug 2, 2012 10:13 PM
Aug 2012
Here's my 2 cents.
Hayami was not killed by that train. She was on the 2nd track while the train passed on the first. She then went away until Hirose was completely better mentally and came back. The little Otoha is representative that his illness has lessened and is leaving him completely.
1) Otoha was never real. Hirose not actually having his sight back is proof of that. If she can't affect reality she doesn't exist.
2) If Hayami is an illusion, it's not a happy ending because then Hirose has no arc as a character, he hasn't recovered at all.
3) There is no grave for Hayami and nobody really comes out and says she's dead. So I think they kept the fact of her survival hidden or at least Hirose's uncle did much like he kept Hayami's family causing his mother's suicide from him.
4) It's a little too much of a coincidence that the same thing would happen to Hayami while she's putting the theory to Hirose and attempting to help him all of a sudden.
Aug 23, 2012 4:29 PM

Jun 2012
Well that was an ok ending, series as a whole was a bit weird and definitely forgettable, why did everyone think that the Kohinata's drove hirose's mom to suicide? did no one see her save his life?

A lot of flaws and plot holes here and there, kinda lame to bring her back to life but i still liked it, the epilogue part was nice too. I always like seeing what happens afterwards. Cant believe hamaji is still crossdressing even though he is a father now. I would hate to have a father like that...though since he is a father one can assume that quite a few years have passed.

6/10 wouldnt watch again.
Aug 29, 2012 11:42 AM

Jan 2012
One of the best features of this anime was the ending. It's possible to make several "readings":
1) Hayami didn't come back from deads and she was just a ghost
2) Hirosi was mental disturbed all the time
3) Otoha brought her back to life
etc
Personally I believe Otoha brought her back as a ghost. And since he was the chosen one, only him could see both.
The one thing I did not understand was the "suicide". Did his mom committed suicide or she was trying to save the boy?

"El Psy Congroo"
Aug 30, 2012 9:11 AM

Jun 2012
hadassawp said:
One of the best features of this anime was the ending. It's possible to make several "readings":
1) Hayami didn't come back from deads and she was just a ghost
2) Hirosi was mental disturbed all the time
3) Otoha brought her back to life
etc
Personally I believe Otoha brought her back as a ghost. And since he was the chosen one, only him could see both.
The one thing I did not understand was the "suicide". Did his mom committed suicide or she was trying to save the boy?

She died saving hirose, but he thought she comitted suicide. You can interpret that Hayami is a ghost but i dont think thats what the animators wanted you to think, i read that she was brought back to life.
Jan 17, 2013 7:52 PM
Nov 2012
i liked the anime for the most part, but not the ending. did they really have to put a supernatural spin on it? wasn't there enough of that b.s. earlier? it was just too much, the easier yet better out was just to have him start breaking down only to have the train finally pass and see her standing there safely with the child. Or they could have just let her die and not bring her stupid ass back... you cant outrun a fucking train so don't try!
Xshadows_smileXJan 17, 2013 8:21 PM
Jan 27, 2013 6:22 PM

Sep 2011
There's so much about this show that I dislike (characters, plot (devices), melodrama, character motives, etc..). ughhhhh

3/10 would unwatch.
EeyoreJan 27, 2013 6:26 PM
Jan 29, 2013 11:16 PM

Jun 2012
alert105 said:
hinata/hotaru in the end didn't die because she lept on the second track and the kid that was there was just a memory forgetten that hirose's mom tried to save so everything should be cleared up now ^^

well i dont know if it is rigth but i was thnking the same since to me it was clear she was not at the same track as the train and in the end she was there and also in older state. but keep me bothering if this is true or not

another explenation i came across was this wich would make more sense with the episode

While returning from the grocery store Takuma and Hayami came upon a railroad track; attempting to heal Takuma’s mental trauma, Hayami recreates the scene when Takuma’s mother’s accident occurred. By sacrificing herself, Hayami made Takuma realize that Takuma’s mother did not commit suicide, but was killed by trying to save Takuma who had wondered on the train track after a volleyball.Then Takuma meets Otoha in a younger state. Otoha then tells Takuma that she managed to convince the Spirit Committee to bring Hayami back to life. Hayami meets Takuma with the bell strapped on her neck, and together upon that hill, they gaze to the sky.
RobertovkJan 29, 2013 11:28 PM
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Feb 22, 2013 2:43 PM

Jul 2010
I liked this series, but...

I don't understand why Hayami died. Why would she get hit by a train just like Hirose's mother? It doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone explain? :o
Feb 24, 2013 9:33 AM

Mar 2012
Great show;
This anime gave me a very sad feeling, already in the first eps;
untill ep 8 which almost ruined this show for me; but the ending made that up for me

9/10
Apr 6, 2013 3:48 AM

Feb 2013
Does anyone else think Hayami committed a homicide/suicide by holding (hugging) down that kid on the railroad tracks and then mentally scarring Takuma by smiling at him right before the train hit?

Just kidding.

The ending for me personally was a bit lackluster. It felt like they killed off Hayami to try and tug at some heartstrings.

(What I wished happened.)

They could've just gone the heartwarming route and have Hayami survive because she was on the opposite tracks then Takuma finally snaps out of his "child" faze. They get married return to the village and have many children.
~ El Psy Congroo~

May 10, 2013 9:16 PM

Mar 2013
I don't get why she died, when she got to the boy she kinda just hugged him and looked back and waited for the train to hit her. She could have just pulled the boys hand back. Also at the end does she come back as a spirit or is she real?
Jun 19, 2013 10:27 AM
Sep 2012
These last two eps were a complete mindf*ck...

I think Otoha (represented as Hayami) was the 'magic' ghost/symbolic meaning/spiritual guide to Takuma - which was all imaginary to him. In my interpretation there is no magic and it makes sense because Takuma could never really see. He does get absolutely mindfucked however when he comes to reality (the last few eps), this is represented as his 'eyes' closing.

Hayami takes on the roll as his mother when he's reverted back to a child and traumatised. She, however is not killed. The child was real but she was on the other side of the tracks, herself and the kid are alive and well. Takuma being blind, now fully 'accepts' his mother's death but of course can't tell Hayami is actually fine cause duh he's blind. So Takuma 'opens' his eyes once again and accepts reality, the reality that his mother is truly gone.

Fast forward the 6 or 7 years, Takuma's mentally stable and okay. Otoha (his spiritual guide/plot device/or a part of his screwy mind) returns and comforts him and Hayami returns as now they can be together purely.
Jun 22, 2013 4:58 PM

May 2008
lol so many people here thinks she was hit by the train which didn't happened. Nowhere where stated or shown that she is dead or something. They just wanted a little mindfuck in the ending but overall it wasn't really worth the watch. This could be so awesome if this was done like Higarash but mehh.
Sep 10, 2013 2:38 AM

Apr 2013
Man... the last two episodes completely fucked the story up. I was ok with the part with him imagining that he was able to see, but the way the story told and played it out was complete trash (IMO).
Sep 25, 2013 6:07 PM

Aug 2013
DemonHunterSaya said:
I liked this series, but...

I don't understand why Hayami died. Why would she get hit by a train just like Hirose's mother? It doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone explain? :o

EnduringInsanity said:
I don't get why she died, when she got to the boy she kinda just hugged him and looked back and waited for the train to hit her. She could have just pulled the boys hand back. Also at the end does she come back as a spirit or is she real?

No, she doesn't. Watch this scene one more time - she was an another rail.
But he through that she died. When his emotions gets better, Hayami just returned to him.
rsc-plSep 25, 2013 6:16 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 2, 2013 4:09 PM

Oct 2011
Episode was wild with him being really messed up calling his girlfriend mom but hey a weird series with alot of holes for one where was everyone's parents besides the stupid thug kids and their stupid male dumb parents? I saw uncles and grandfathers but alittle information on why someone would send his blind son to his older brother. Was he an alcoholic after his wife died? I think it was stupid for hayami or whatever her name to run over and hug a kid while getting hit by a train and a dumb blind kid who just had his eyes closed saying he blind can finally see again. Question did Hayami actually avoid the train and just said fuck raising a kid that's my age acting like a dumbass baby while he suppose to be my man. Shit she wasn't grown working paying bills when she was suppose to be in school. I was glad grandpa got arrested and I think the end showed how fucked up in the head the blind kid was by falling in love with an imaginary Hayami or the Hayami who made your ass think she was hit by a train but left your ass. Oh yea also his pedophilia thoughts running though his head happy to see otoha.
Oct 18, 2013 3:37 AM

Aug 2013
now that I look back upon this ending, it was such a disappointment... ugh, It honestly feel like Hayami didn't really develop as a character and still retained her introvert nature
Jan 16, 2014 2:40 PM

Sep 2012
maybe she did not jump front of the train, maybe she jumped to the other side & did not get hit by the train? its possible, we did not see all what happened, we did not see train smashing her like when u drop water bomb, & we did not see blood any ware, so anything is possible
Jan 17, 2014 5:32 AM

Oct 2013
I don't quite understand the ending. But Otoha is a spirit and she bring Kohinata with her to see Hirose which hes the only one who can see spirit. it only make sense in my mind that Kohinata is still dead but because Hirose is the Promised one, his ability to see spirit makes him able to see Kohinata again and for ever.

Conclusion: Kohinata is still dead but only Hirose can see her in her spirit form.

Hope to see another season or an OVA because i still want some answer.
Mar 15, 2014 5:50 PM

Jan 2011
Shitty ending. Liked the show up until the last 2 episodes.

All I learned is that bitches are getting 187ed by trains alot.
MikeS90Mar 15, 2014 6:17 PM
Apr 17, 2014 10:34 AM
Dec 2013
O.o .... Okay this episode is really kinda full of WTF ... It's so depressing seeing Hayami died by Hirose's new awakened (again) eye... But my senses coming back to me again because that F**king Old Man has been arrested and Otoha bring back Hayami to life !! Oh btw Hirose, the grown up version, is sooooooooooo.... Bonie

Apr 17, 2014 10:44 AM
Dec 2013
PleasantTiger said:
I don't quite understand the ending. But Otoha is a spirit and she bring Kohinata with her to see Hirose which hes the only one who can see spirit. it only make sense in my mind that Kohinata is still dead but because Hirose is the Promised one, his ability to see spirit makes him able to see Kohinata again and for ever.

Conclusion: Kohinata is still dead but only Hirose can see her in her spirit form.

Hope to see another season or an OVA because i still want some answer.

What..!! Really!!

Apr 29, 2014 11:12 PM

Dec 2013
This wasn't an ending that I would've expected or normally liked but the way they did it was very good to me. For changing the ending to where Kohinata dies and that helps Hirose regain his sight and memory; Then bringing Kohinata back as a spirit(?), that was pretty creative. I will admit this series was good but the beginning put me in a mood where I was thinking of torture methods for people that I think my anger made some stuff unclear. All around good watch.
Examining one series under the magnifying glass at a time.
May 13, 2014 4:02 AM

Jul 2013
Its finally over. Can't think of one good to say about this anime. Has to be the worst thing I've ever watched so far.

Even rating this a 5/10 feels too high.
Jul 31, 2014 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
Am I the only one who cried at the train scene? lol
Sep 3, 2014 3:30 PM
Sep 2014
It is true that the ending is bit confusing.
Let me explain :

Hayami dies, same as Hirose's mother, hit by a train. Hirose then recovered memory and sight ... Hotaru became the head of the village. Maki and Hajimi are the parents of that child ( http://myanimelist.net/character/7301/Hamaji_Yakumo ).
A few years passed. Otoha appeared -finally alive, as a little girl.In addition, she made a gift for Hirose: she brings Hayami back to life.
EVIDENCE :
1. Otoha said "it was hard convincing them to allow this"
2. Otoha also said "take care of her this time" which means that he must be alive because if she was a spirit that would make no sense at all.
3. We see Hayami grown up. Spirits don't grow up.

I hope i managed to explain.
8/10 for the episode.
Dec 8, 2014 7:00 PM
Apr 2013
Well im just happy it ended that way. i would of been really upset and angry if it let it go with his Girlfriend/ mother just die haha.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Phrosh - Jan 25, 2008

77 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:23 AM

Poll: » H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

radiantfire - Jan 3, 2008

78 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Dec 13, 2023 12:03 PM

Poll: » H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~ Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Mar 15, 2008

99 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 5:21 PM

Poll: » H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~ Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

chibuki - Mar 8, 2008

58 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 4:37 PM

Poll: » H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~ Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KY791 - Feb 28, 2008

60 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 3:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.