Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Apr 8, 2018 12:55 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
In this case is truth, this episode could be the "Episode 00" because was a great summary!!! If you remember well, the second season ended with the boys and girls running to arrive a forest-house!!! ;)
Apr 8, 2018 1:29 AM
Mar 2016
Jaecp said:
TheEnhancedExe said:
Tbh, if I hadn't read the manga, I wouldn't have known this was filler unless I read it somewhere like you did.

Really? I could tell it was filler as soon as they started recapping the plot because thats something that only happens in Anime.

I wish they'd gotten one of those .5 episodes. Or, I dunno, made it clear it was filler.

I know this is silly, and I know this is stupid, but this show really helps my mental state and I got super pumped for Season 3 of this show. I told other fans to tune in. I was posting a countdown on the half hour in this anime FB group I'm in. I stayed up till 230am by marathoning the Stain and Final Exam arcs.

I was hype.

So, having just watched Encounter, the fact that S3E1 basically recaps Shigaraki's epiphany and then turns into what is, clearly, hijinks ("beach episode") I was really bummed. I still watched it and I legit laughed my ass off when Aizawa kept Deku, Todoroki and Bakugo from having an undisputable competition, but overall the best part of the episode was that few seconds after the credits where they're all like "we're moving where the training camp is" and I got chillllllls

Recap isn't filler though. Filler is anime original content that wasn't in the manga while recap is the repetition of canon content that already happened. You can just as well make a canon episode a recap. I mean look at Naruto Shippuuden for example which added so many flashbacka about previous events that it became famous for doing it. Essentially, this was all recap as well. A lot of it was during canon episodes as well though.

The problem with the 0.5 episode would've been that essentially they could've only have adapted the rest of chapter 70 at max. There wouldn't have been any other good point to stop. This probably wouldn't have taken much time to adapt.

Plus, tbh it would kinda feel weird to put that into the same episode as a pool episode. It fits better to just adapt 2.5 chapters next episode. They might give anime-only watchers false expectations if they ended with chapter 70. Kinda hard to tell without spoiling. But essentially if an episode was to end at chapter 70, anime-onlies would expect the next episode to pick up where it left off, while chapter 71 just offscreens the events you probably would've expected to happen. Nothing major though, so I actually don't mind that. Isn't really spoiling anything either, you'll see for yourself next week.
Apr 8, 2018 1:52 AM
Feb 2016
First episode is 50% recap, 50% fujo pandering. BnHA fans praise it as the greatest thing ever. If any other show did this, people would rightfully call it shit, but BnHA fans will defend literally anything the show does.

8.50 rating for this episode fucking lmao.
Apr 8, 2018 2:34 AM

Oct 2013
I can't stop thinking Midoriya is FAT in swimsuit.
Those muscles mygosh
Apr 8, 2018 2:44 AM
Jul 2018
The OP is painfully mediocre, I expected more. Bad song, it doesn't fit or sync with the visuals and ends up creating a jarring experience. Also, in other openings there was some kind of direction (like, for example, the kids stretching and preparing and then bursting into action for the tournament) but this one felt like they just made a bunch of scenes and jumbled them together.

And then we get giraffe boi

The episode at least made the recap bearable and didn't have too much fanservice, but the best part is hands down the concept art drawings in the ED
Apr 8, 2018 2:48 AM
Jun 2016
Decent start of the season. Who would expect that mha had strong starts? The real show begins later and you guys know it. This season will be just as good as s2, if not, better.
Apr 8, 2018 3:06 AM
Oct 2015
The opening has some really cool moments, there were a few scenes to look forward to, as for the opening theme song I haven't become attached to it unlike the previous ones but maybe I like it over time and I've already seen people making a 'meme' out of the opening already.
I feel like this should have been announced as episode zero rather than episode one just because it was simply a recap, but it did have its moments such as the one where the trio were gonna 'swin' it out.
Heckle was here...
Apr 8, 2018 3:43 AM

Jan 2017
Not the best opening for BNH, for me is my less favourite till now, but maybe it just needs to get accustomed to it. It was like a recap just to get into the show again, but it was fine.
Karasuno Fight!!!
Apr 8, 2018 4:02 AM
Aug 2015
I was really really sceptical with the whole anime original pool stuff, but for what this episode is (a recap pool episode), it was amazing. I love Bones.
And the OP is freaking LIT. Definitely my fave, can't understand the complaints about the song at all.
YokiiiApr 8, 2018 4:38 AM
Apr 8, 2018 4:49 AM
Apr 2015
Recap episode as the first episode, pretty bad. Opening and ending were meh at most. Horrible start for me. It made all the hype i had from the tournament arc deisappear.
Apr 8, 2018 4:57 AM

Mar 2018
Mariecat1 said:
Decent start of the season. Who would expect that mha had strong starts? The real show begins later and you guys know it. This season will be just as good as s2, if not, better.

One could not be more right.

I understand the non-manga readers are let down but don't worry. This was a full filler EP. The real adaptation will start next week and from there it'll be full tension until the end of the season.

But please people stop rating things when they just started. Damn I'm pissed so many people already gave it 10/10 and of course people are raging about it and saying the fans are stupid. Because as a fan I thought this episode was weak and that they shouldn't have started the season with this.
But again, this is not the true beginnig of the season, so don't let this kill your hype.
Florent3571Apr 8, 2018 10:03 AM
Apr 8, 2018 5:01 AM

Aug 2011
Really bad opening song, sounds like some auto tuned boy band b*s. Nothing to really say about this episode. Next episode will hopefully come out swinging a little bit more according to that preview.
Apr 8, 2018 6:59 AM

Sep 2016
Well, finally started airing..I liked it EP 1 it's very good start and i'm excited for the upcoming episodes :D
Apr 8, 2018 7:09 AM
May 2017
New OP and ED sucked, it was a recap and still most people rated it 5/5. Heh.
Apr 8, 2018 7:10 AM
Jun 2017
Nice OP OST!!! I like it...

I like the first episode as it focuses on the whole class of Midoriya. (And it shown/mentioned their quirks)..

That swimming though became a battle of quirks 😂😂😂. Im also interested of who will.win on that swimming (via quirks) between midoriya, bakugo and todoroki...

Im so ready for the next episode!!!
Apr 8, 2018 7:45 AM
Apr 2016
LeSponge said:
Nice OP OST!!! I like it...

I like the first episode as it focuses on the whole class of Midoriya. (And it shown/mentioned their quirks)..

That swimming though became a battle of quirks 😂😂😂. Im also interested of who will.win on that swimming (via quirks) between midoriya, bakugo and todoroki...

Im so ready for the next episode!!!

Obviously Midoriya would win, as he can boost himself to be a human rocket, but that would break him many bones, and it would aggravate some characters even further so they masterfully ended the contest there.
Re:formed
Apr 8, 2018 8:31 AM

Jul 2017
Lida looks so hot i wanna make love to him 😍
Apr 8, 2018 8:37 AM

Oct 2016
I was excited for this episode as it released on my birthday. However, I wss deeply disappointed to see a clipshow! A mere filler episode! Does Studio Bones want to save money that badly?! Disgusting.
Apr 8, 2018 8:40 AM
Apr 2016
halfpastnein said:
I was excited for this episode as it released on my birthday. However, I wss deeply disappointed to see a clipshow! A mere filler episode! Does Studio Bones want to save money that badly?! Disgusting.

I guess it was not a 30+ birthday, since you still seem to fail to fathom how the content positioning works for serious series. Worry not though, shall you lead decent life, in several birthdays you will get around to understanding this, and that.
Apr 8, 2018 9:01 AM
Jan 2016
So they started off the season with a fucking recap episode. I'm not mad, just disappointed.
Also, Deku tying with Iida was bullshit. Wasn't it established that when the fire from Iida's engine turns blue, his movements are faster than the eyes can see? Not to mention that Deku was in the fucking water and Iida wasn't.
Apr 8, 2018 9:07 AM
Jul 2017
Wow. Honestly bery disappointed. Nothing happned in this episode. I’m glad that its back just because its a good show, but this episode was not a good welcome back that sucked me into this world. The opening is also kind of disorienting, why is the chorus so slow and off-beat?
Apr 8, 2018 9:11 AM

Jun 2015
Utter Fucking Disappointment!
Apr 8, 2018 9:21 AM
Dec 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:

Obviously Midoriya would win, as he can boost himself to be a human rocket, but that would break him many bones, and it would aggravate some characters even further so they masterfully ended the contest there.

I'm pretty sure Bakugo would have won. All he has to do is hop over the water which takes 3 seconds. If they all actually swam Deku would win.
Apr 8, 2018 9:24 AM
Apr 2016
TJHooker said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I'm pretty sure Bakugo would have won. All he has to do is hop over the water which takes 3 seconds. If they all actually swam Deku would win.

Midoriya could just push himself off the jumping point, and fly over the pool as well. It would take him even less time. But this is really going to the point of "whose superpower is more super" kind of discussion.
Apr 8, 2018 10:11 AM
Dec 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:

Midoriya could just push himself off the jumping point, and fly over the pool as well. It would take him even less time. But this is really going to the point of "whose superpower is more super" kind of discussion.

Sure Deku might be able to win that way, but if you watch the scene again he confirms that he is going to swim. Bakugo confirms he's going to jump again. It's not a matter of who's power is better, it's a matter of strategy. I don't think Deku would choose a strategy that could be considered cheating. Maybe a season or 2 from now Deku could win just by swimming do to being able to use more of his power, but not right now.
Apr 8, 2018 11:11 AM
Apr 2016
TJHooker said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Sure Deku might be able to win that way, but if you watch the scene again he confirms that he is going to swim. Bakugo confirms he's going to jump again. It's not a matter of who's power is better, it's a matter of strategy. I don't think Deku would choose a strategy that could be considered cheating. Maybe a season or 2 from now Deku could win just by swimming do to being able to use more of his power, but not right now.

Now, that, of course, is without a doubt. Midoriya has more integrity than Bakugo, so he would not cheat when the aim is to swim.
Apr 8, 2018 11:35 AM

Aug 2017
skrublordFey said:
The new Free! is looking good.
Lol
Yeee the hype is real!!! Awesome recap episode. Makes me want to go back and watch season two again! XD
Huh what do you know? A pool episode with no fanservice (well maybe for the girls ;D) But it was still pretty cool. Glad to see the gang again. This season is gonna be epic I can tell.

P.S. Dang Iida is ripped
Apr 8, 2018 11:49 AM

May 2009
Well I just wasted 23 minutes of my life there.
Seriously. I love BNHA, but this was just a waste of time. Cut the crap and go straight to the freakin story please. Do you have any idea how much this retarded episode of only summary costs?!

^wish I could say BNHA was a bit different from regular shounen shows, but it begins to show it's true nature xD

Can't wait until the actual show begins. Too bad we have to wait for another week eh?
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Apr 8, 2018 11:55 AM
Cherry Thighs

Apr 2013
Sure, it was just a recap episode to get everybody back up-to-date with what happened in the previous two seasons, but seeing a shirtless Todoroki makes any episode good for me.
Apr 8, 2018 12:26 PM

May 2015
I'm an anime only dude but I have my suspicions on one guy (the mole) the one who is leaking info.
Apr 8, 2018 12:32 PM
Apr 2016
Roy_Focker said:
I'm an anime only dude but I have my suspicions on one guy (the mole) the one who is leaking info.

I would bet it is the principal, or there is no mole altogether.
Apr 8, 2018 12:35 PM

May 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
Roy_Focker said:

Well, he isn’t the one I am suspecting... at this point it could be anyone and yes there has to be one because at the end of this episode I think the mole was speaking about the change of plan of the school trip to the main Bad guy.
Apr 8, 2018 12:41 PM

May 2017
Pretty good recap honestly. Made me remember why I like it more than most battle shounen nowadays. Though I obviously would have preferred them to just continue with canon material.
Hyped for next week.
The_Smoking_ManApr 8, 2018 12:44 PM
Apr 8, 2018 12:49 PM

Nov 2013
Nice way of doing a recap.
OP is a good song but very unfitting. The visuals are great.

Ready for next week
Apr 8, 2018 12:54 PM

Jan 2013
Starting a season with glorified filler containing flashbacks is pretty lame.
Apr 8, 2018 1:04 PM

Jan 2015
Pretty good start of a new season, doing flashbacks to remember what happened before without being boring.

Can't wait for the next episodes!
Apr 8, 2018 1:07 PM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
Not bad at all for a filler episode
Apr 8, 2018 1:12 PM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018

@Resonance lol i thought i was the only one who thought that scene with vegeta and goku looked odd
Apr 8, 2018 1:43 PM
Mar 2018
I liked this first episode. I love the anime and it is a good starting for the 3rd season. I know that nothing important really happen but the swimming Run was very cool and fun!
Apr 8, 2018 1:46 PM
Aug 2017
I literally just finished re-watching the series for the season 3 premier, just to get everything regurgitated back at me. ugh I hope this is just a small stumble before the season gets started
Apr 8, 2018 2:32 PM

Mar 2016
Making us wait and then literally 'filling' us in is insulting, to say the least.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Apr 8, 2018 2:50 PM

Aug 2017
So I'm guessing a lot of you have forgotten that last season started with a recap episode too?

Yes I know its a bit disappointing but by God stop complaining, you all should have expected this.

Recap episodes are an industry standard, they have to do it.

Besides compared to most recap episodes this was pretty decent, some good gags here & there.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Apr 8, 2018 2:52 PM

Oct 2017
Guess the yaoi population of BnHA becomes too big that the studio has to start the show with fan-service filler episode lolz..

This is extremely uncommon in anime industry, and the studio will only do that if they knew people who buy the BDs are Fujo who loves yaoi and shirtless dudes.

Also how can this first episode get rated a 8.5 at start lolz..
Guess the fanboy-ism is true and score relating to battle shonen can't be taken seriously.
Ventus_SApr 8, 2018 2:56 PM
Apr 8, 2018 2:55 PM

Oct 2017
Slimcoder said:
So I'm guessing a lot of you have forgotten that last season started with a recap episode too?

Yes I know its a bit disappointing but by God stop complaining, you all should have expected this.

Recap episodes are an industry standard, they have to do it.

Besides compared to most recap episodes this was pretty decent, some good gags here & there.

False. Only filler battle shonen does the recap in their first epiosode..

I have yet to see any recap like this in first ep other than battle shonen.
Apr 8, 2018 3:17 PM
Apr 2016
Roy_Focker said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Well, he isn’t the one I am suspecting... at this point it could be anyone and yes there has to be one because at the end of this episode I think the mole was speaking about the change of plan of the school trip to the main Bad guy.

I don't really think so, it seemed like Shiragaki was the one who phoned first, and does not suspect the change of plans yet.
Apr 8, 2018 4:08 PM

Jul 2016
If they were going to start with filler, I would prefer them to release a real episode the next week. Very dissapointed with this beggining.
Apr 8, 2018 4:28 PM

May 2017
Good start, felt more like a recap 0 episode then the start of a new season mind you though.

The wheels have been set in motion and that OP was fire. Bring on the rest.
Apr 8, 2018 4:58 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
LOL @ people rating this season 8.46 when it literally has just been recap so far.
Apr 8, 2018 5:05 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
boring episode, boring recap, boring overhyped.

5/10 on the recap ep.

I skipped through it.

I rather watch Food Wars
Apr 8, 2018 5:22 PM

Oct 2016
Gonna be honest, both OP and ED seemed pretty lazy to me. It's like they were lacking budget to make them.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Aug 8, 2018

121 by MrGuz »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

51 by Vindicater »»
Apr 20, 5:38 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 9 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

43 by Vindicater »»
Apr 17, 10:58 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 26, 2018

169 by Vindicater »»
Apr 16, 3:26 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2018

230 by Vindicater »»
Apr 13, 6:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.