Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2018 2:45 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, the usage of Mirror Force is almost getting out of hand this arc.

Playmaker put on an exciting match imo this episode, might be one of his best performances yet in this rivalry against Revolver. A well deserved victory after their long battle too. GG Revolver! Playmaker earned this victory and deserved every minute of it.

Apr 4, 2018 4:07 AM

May 2016
Wow, the Hanoi arc is finally over......THANK GOD!
I was getting pretty low with this show, but looking foward Season 2 next week :)

Anyway, see ya xD

8/10 for the ending
Apr 4, 2018 5:10 AM

Feb 2008
Hanoi is over and a new threat is coming.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Apr 4, 2018 5:36 AM

Sep 2015
Did they really freed? AI really gone on last ep of this arc? its the most weirdest ending s1 on Yu Gi Oh so far.

I know AI will be back again but i don't expect AI to really leave Yuusaku on this ep.

And the Frog ruin the scene by get the name wrong LOL.

Too bad the Ritual Monster not here but its nice to see Decode become the one to end it.

Into the Internet!
Apr 4, 2018 5:59 AM

Feb 2013
It was a cool duel.
Revolver left, Ai too, let's see where this anime is headed now.
We need a common enemy for Revolver and Playmaker.
Apr 4, 2018 6:32 AM
Aug 2016
shame that revolver not tell everything about his hand triangle
Apr 4, 2018 8:06 AM

May 2016
Shame how the endind felt vanila :p
Apr 4, 2018 12:13 PM
Apr 2013
Should have end the series right here so they can let this go on a high note and not continue to sell this disaster of a series.
Apr 4, 2018 1:50 PM

May 2015
revolver should have won << but hey atleast best girl is back.
Apr 4, 2018 3:30 PM

Aug 2016
It's good to see that someone agrees with me on the fact that Emma is best girl uwu
Apr 4, 2018 3:39 PM
Sep 2012
So we end the first arc, and I don't know has Yusaku grown a little, I think so, at least a little.

So the Knights of Hanoni, we are done with them as the main villains, it looks like yeah. I wonder how long till Revolver appears again, I wonder if the other Knights are going to get out of the coma like everyone else.

Anyway next week, new arc, and probably new OP and ED, can't wait.
Apr 4, 2018 5:06 PM

Mar 2016
whelp I wished that Firewall Dragon dealt the final blow, but Konami is like, nah let's promote Code Talkers even more by having Decode Talker do that job
Apr 5, 2018 2:26 AM

May 2016
Ryuseishun said:
whelp I wished that Firewall Dragon dealt the final blow, but Konami is like, nah let's promote Code Talkers even more by having Decode Talker do that job

Oh Konami i wonder how much of our card promotion it's gonna lead you to another war :p
Apr 5, 2018 2:27 AM

May 2016
blfan said:
So we end the first arc, and I don't know has Yusaku grown a little, I think so, at least a little.

So the Knights of Hanoni, we are done with them as the main villains, it looks like yeah. I wonder how long till Revolver appears again, I wonder if the other Knights are going to get out of the coma like everyone else.

The Knights of Hanoi are easlliy the worst villans ever, imo. Most of them got wiped-out before the final arc of Season 1.

Yeah, looking foward to new OP and ED aswell.
Apr 5, 2018 8:50 AM

Jul 2013
The episode felt weird. The pacing during the duel was very slow, yet when we get to the conclusion everything just went light speed. I know the show doesn't end here, but the conclusion is pretty lackluster. We don't know what Revolver will do from here. We don't see any consequences to the event. It just... ended.
Apr 5, 2018 10:19 AM
Jun 2011
Helios92 said:
blfan said:

The Knights of Hanoi are easlliy the worst villans ever, imo. Most of them got wiped-out before the final arc of Season 1.

well the next villains are SOL chess pieces since they are the only ones left
Apr 5, 2018 12:02 PM

May 2016
elior1 said:
Helios92 said:

well the next villains are SOL chess pieces since they are the only ones left

My only hope for VRains is that Homura turns out to be pretty cool like they said he whould. Plus he is voiced by the same guy who performed Eren from AOT and Todoroki from Boku no Hero Academia
Apr 5, 2018 9:22 PM
Apr 2016
What the hell, Firewall Dragon "the ace" is just used as fodder for Link climbing, and Yusaku use Decode Talker instead? What blasphemy!
Apr 5, 2018 10:24 PM

May 2017
What an awesome Episode. The duel was extremely spicy and I think everything was on point! I really liks Vrains so far and in my opinion it's ons of the best YGO Series so far.

Lol did playmaker seriously half his LP twice this EP to 13?
Apr 6, 2018 6:01 AM

May 2016
What an horrible ending to an Episode. The duel was just cringe 101
Apr 6, 2018 6:01 AM

May 2016
What an horrible ending to an Episode. The duel was just cringe 101
Apr 7, 2018 4:40 AM

Oct 2014
Okay, the duel was terrible, and I think it can go straight next to Yuya vs. Reiji Round 3 as one of the worst season finale duels. The amount of misplays they made Revolver do was just ridiculous. Not to mention Playmaker using an effect that wasn't even written on the card. That's some DM-level of bullshit right there. So let me get this straight:
#1: In episode 44, if Revolver attacked Excode Talker first with Topologic Bomber and then took control of Powercode with Borreload, he would have inflicted 3000 damage to Playmaker, the exact amount of LP he had left.
#2: In episode 45, after Playmaker reduced the damage from Gumblar's effect with Drop Frame Wedge, Revolver could've used Gumblar, Bomber and another monster to make Trisbaena. During the End Phase, we could've summoned Magnarokket next to Trisbaena's link, triggering its effect, banishing Drop Frame Wedge and inflicting 500 damage to Playmaker, winning Revolver the duel. Same episode, there was no reason to send Mirror Force to the Graveyard to activate Borrelguard's effect. He should've sent Link Turret, as it had no counters left and would've been sent to the Graveyard during the End Phase anyway.
#3: In episode 46, Revolver sends Anesthrokket to the Graveyard with Magnarokket's effect, when there was no reason to. Even if Secure Gardna is unaffected, wasting cards like this is just stupid. Same episode, he activated Link Short during the Main Phase, which is also an extemely stupid move. Any semi-competent player knows that the most optimal way to use cards like these is during the Battle Phase. Had Revolver waited until the Battle Phase to use Link Short, he could've effectively ended Playmaker's turn and defeated him next turn.
Also lol at Playmaker saying he had connected the circuit to victory, then proceeding to rely on 2 completely random draws to win. In conclusion, I feel this duel insulted my intellegence as a Rokket player and Playmaker only won because they made his opponent play like a total moron, which is sad because Revolver was presented as a super competent duelist in his previous duels. Their first duel was so much better.
RayofVictoryApr 7, 2018 4:44 AM
Apr 7, 2018 1:38 PM

May 2016
My review of season 1 of Yugioh VR//NS.

The first season of VR has come to an end, and so I've determined this would be a good time to give my thoughts on the season as a whole. I will state at the outset that I think that this is a bad series, that it suffers from numerous flaws of such severity that they render it impossible for me to enjoy the series. If reading criticism of the series would make you angry, please turn away now. If you are able to keep a level head, then go right ahead and read what I have to offer, and hopefully I will have something to offer.

Note: This review is going to be spoiler heavy and assumes that you are already familiar with the show.

So, first thing's first, the main character. Yusaku Fujiki, AKA Playmaker. He is the hero of the online world of LINK VRAINS, single-handily taking on the cuber-terrorists known as the Knights of Hanoi in his quest for revenge against them. And he is absolutely flawless. Seriously. He has no character flaws at all, he has no character traits that either serve as obstacles that he must overcome to achieve his goals, nor does he ever make mistakes or take morally compromised actions in his quest for vengeance. The show 'says' that he has flaws, it plays at the idea that Yusaku is an edgy badass antihero, but it never commits to Yusaku doing anything that would in line with that characterization. In every situation he knows more than everyone else, he is never out of his depth no matter what situation he is in, and despite being anti-social and having no charm or presence, he is somehow able to draw numerous people to himself to serve as his allies. Mind, Yusaku doesn't have much in the way of character traits to begin with; he has character tics and repeated behaviors, most notably his habit of listing things in threes, but none of this gels into a coherent center that would carry his character from one scene to the next. All Yusaku really has is his backstory; as a child he was kidnapped and tortured, and now he is all grown up and will stop at nothing for revenge, so long as that doesn't require him to do anything morally compromised as stated above. In short, Yusaku's backstory is used as a subsitute for writing an actual characgter, leaving him a power fantasy. He is designed for you to imagine that you too can be as badass as Yusaku, a point that is hammered home in an otherwise pointless scene where we see a little kid with a mini-playmaker Avatar who wants to be a great hero just like Yusaku.

Next up, the supporting cast. They don't hardly do anything or have any impact on anything. Go Onizuka is the epitome of this; he only shows up when he has a duel to participate in and otherwise does not appear in the series. Aoi Zaizen AKA Blue Angel meanwhile only exists to suffer and be humiliated; her introductory duel has her being possessed and then going into a coma, she has two token duels of no plot significance, and then she duels Specter, the man who'd infected her and put her in a coma to begin with. This duel is an absolutely one-sided slaughter that luridly lingers on her broken form as she is smashed into the pavement while her opponent finishes the duel with nearly twice as many life points as he'd started with. And just to rub it in how pathetically outclassed Aoi was, Specter immediately after duels Yusaku, who not only forces Specter to bring out his most powerful monster, but in fact he has to take a hostage to keep Playmaker from winning an entire episode early. Then there's the salt on the wound that the only character who cares about Aoi is her own brother; even thirty odd episodes into the show, she hasn't built up meaningful bonds with anyone else, so her defeat and humiliation don't even serve to motivate Yusaku, the only character who matters. Speaking of Akira, he along with Emma and Kusanagi represent the “responsible adults” in the show. Akira and Emma are both useless and pointless, unable to do anything that will affect the course of the show, while Kusanagi is useful but is completely unappreciated by Yusaku who acts entitled to all his myriad services in his quest for revenge.

The only supporting character who merits individual discussion is Ai, the rogue Ignis. He is basically the living McGuffin of the series that everyone is fighting over. He is intended to be a quirky, comic-relief character with a tender, dramatic core; he is on the run from everyone and Yusaku himself takes Ai hostage and has no regard for Ai as his own person. Much of the show tries to hype up their relationship, but Ai's overtures of friendship towards Yusaku are continuously rebuffed for no real reason, leaving the relationship hollow. Not to mention in the end, once Yusaku has gotten his revenge he just lets Ai go without a second thought and no guilt at all about using and endangering him in the first place.

Onto the villains! The Knights of Hanoi are not good villains! Their existence as a group is baffling; despite being cyberterrorists who believe that their destructive acts are morally necessary, they never make use of propaganda to make their case to anyone, leaving it a mystery as to how they recruited anyone, much less the hordes upon hordes of nameless faceless mooks that they throw out all over the place. There are three lieutenants, but they only show up for one arc, only get one duel each, lose their duels, and have no impact or lasting impression. Then there's Specter; he's your bog-standard annoying psychotic villain who makes goofy faces with an even goofier backstory about how he has a mother-complex towards a tree. Yes. A tree. A magic tree that protected him as a baby. Which he is able to remember despite that he was a literal baby at the time and you literally can not remember anything from when you were a literal baby. Oh, and also it turns out that he was one of the Lost Children who was captured and tortured just like Yusaku, but it just comes out of nowhere and gels poorly with the rest of his backstory. Its like, he straight up says that he enjoyed being tortured since he didn't have anywhere to belong on the outside, only to then say that he actually did miss his mom-tree and was very sad when he returned only to find that it had been cut down in the middle of the mountain-forest with all the other trees left alone. This is a thing that actually happened.

Even that though, is peanuts compared to Revolver, the leader of the Knights of Hanoi. He is supposed to be Yusaku's rival and is hyped up in the show as a big deal, but is in fact a total joke. Technically, he duels Yusaku four times, but in two of those duels he forces a draw and then immediately starts up another duel with Yusaku, so as far as the narrative and character beats go, its still the same duel. And in both cases, Yusaku wins, leaving Revolver a non-threat. The show gives him two more duels that he does win to try and hype him up for the rematch, except that both people he beats are people that Yusaku himself has already beaten, so it doesn't make us think that he could become a threat to Yusaku. Beyond his failure as a rival, it turns out he is Yusaku's special person who'd reached out to him when he was a child and being tortured; that Revolver never tried to reach out to the other five children who were kidnapped and tortured and brought to the same facility is never addressed. Regardless, Revolver has no regard for Yusaku in the present, except when he stands around pontificating about how he is totally so obsessed with Yusaku that he'll just stand there and not do anything about him, even when he discovers Yusaku's real-life identity.

In addition, there is the matter of the motivation behind the Knights of Hanoi; Revolver initially claims its all about how the internent is bad because people lie on it and junk, but it turns out that Revolver's dad was the one who had abducted and tortured Yusaku along with five other children and the torture was for the purpose of creating AI with free will. How he was able to capture so many children undetected and cover his tracks so that his own son had to leak the information to the police, and why he had to torture children in order to create his free willed AI is never explained. Regardless, after the creation of these free willed AI, Revolver's dad decides to run a simulation on what will happen when they try to guide humanity. I repeat; he runs a computer simulation about what will happen with state-of-the-art FREE WILLED AI. The contradiction of this flies right over Revolver's dad's head, and he decides that since the simulations say that humanity will be wiped out because humans will resent the AI trying to guide them LIKE HE WANTED THEM TO, that he must therefore destroy the AI to save humanity. Oh, and something about his Free-willed AI lying and so therefore they must be plotting the downfall of humanity. Even though they are literally just chilling in their own private network and aren't interacting with humanity at all.

Really, the writing in general is clunky and poorly thought out; there is an entire sequence where Revolver's dad shows up out of nowhere in front of Akira, drops some exposition at him, and then leaves. There is literally no reason why Revolver's dad would do this, and it has no impact on anything as Akira ends up “killed off” before he ever has any opportunity to do anything with the exposition that has been dropped on him. The series is littered with awkward “as you know Bob” exposition that does not so much foreshadow as it just spills what's going to happen. There are also all the rampant inconsistencies; Kusanagi has Yusaku infiltrate SOL technologies hidden database so that they can find out their role in the Lost Incident, only when they find out, Kusanagi is shocked that SOL technologies was involved! These sorts of writing flaws are everywhere in Yugioh VRAINS, undermining scenes, episodes, and even entire plot lines.

Then there's the issue of the pacing and plotting. The storyline of the first season consists of four different arcs; the introductory arc, the SOL invasion arc, the Another arc, and the Tower of Hanoi arc. The introductory arc establishes the characters and their relationships, and while it does suffer from the character issues mentioned above, it isn't drawn or dragged out too much. The SOL invasion and Another arcs on the other hand, are empty padding; the SOL invasion arc ends with our heroes learning nothing that they can actually use in their quest for revenge, while the Another arc fails to establish the character bonds and dynamics between Yusaku, Go, and Aoi. In fact, Go's duel in the Another arc is hilarious from a writing episode; his duel is a two-parter and the second part just ends in the middle of the second episode, so the episode just goes on into Aoi's part of the arc without any transition or connection; WHIPLASH! Oh, and out of 46 episodes, 4 of those episodes are recap episodes!

The animation and set designs are lackluster at best; LINK VRAINS is an online environment that can look like anything and anyone in it can look like anything, yet the environment itself is always the same dreary empty cityscape and most everyone has an avatar that looks just like them with maybe some cosmetic changes, maybe. The “Speed Duels”, where the characters ride on flying surfboards on the “Data Stream” lacks any sense of motion to it and adds nothing to the experience, and facial expressions are frequently stiff and fail to convey the intended mood. The music is also generic and uninteresting, leaving no lasting impression.

May as well talk about the duels in this series. They are boring as sin. Not only are the duels predictable in their entirety, the outcomes never in suspense, but the structures are repeatedly repetitive; Yusaku almost always goes second and wins the duel on the fourth turn after using his super special Storm Access skill to get a random Link monster that just so happens to be just what he needs to win, and as mentioned above both of his duels with Revolver have the same structure and even end in the same way. In addition, everyone duels the exact same way, spamming Link monsters; everyone's decks feel very samey because of this and so everything blurs together in a mushed up mash of indifference as each turn consists of anywhere from two to ten link summons in a row. That the show does a poor job explaining the Link Summon mechanic does not do it any favors either.

Finally, there is the matter of theme. Yugioh VRAINS doesn't have a theme, it has no message or purpose or anything like that. Yusaku fights a bunch of bad guys, he beats them all by himself as everyone else is ineffectual, and he gets his revenge and now he doesn't have PTSD anymore. That's it. The show is so fixated on “Plot” that it never gets around to having any of it mean anything. Sure, plenty of characters stand around and pontificate and say things that sound deep and meaningful, but none of it matters.

In the end, the show is a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Is it possible for the show to improve in the second season? Yes. But then, lots of things are possible, like the show doubling-down on all its flaws to churn out cheap, schlocky, familiar tropes without any heart or soul behind them.

P.S. The show queerbaits the hell out of Yusaku and Revolver's relationship, only for Revolver to just up and leave on a speedboat, leaving behind his father and all his comrades that he supposedly care about. That is all I have to say about that.
May 10, 2018 5:19 PM

Apr 2008
It was obvious that Playmaker would use Mirror Force (or try to). I'm glad they had Revolver mention that it was obvious. That comeback was so unrealistic, though. I dislike trap cards that work from the graveyard but that seems to be how the game works nowadays. Positives: I like Revolver's archetype.
May 13, 2018 4:47 AM

Mar 2016
What a comeback! Its so fucking IMPOSSIBLE.
Revolver have 7 monsters and with some kind of destiny draw, 1 card can turn the table easily

LUCK = 100

Sep 18, 2018 9:33 AM

Jan 2013
Dangit Revolver, Playmaker just wanted to be your friend D:
Sep 26, 2018 11:56 PM

May 2016
PrOxAnto said:
Dangit Revolver, Playmaker just wanted to be your friend D:

Maybe next season :)
May 7, 2019 9:15 PM

Jan 2013
S+ Tier Duel utilising the Link system right there folks
May 7, 2019 9:27 PM

Jan 2013
Helios92 said:
My review of season 1 of Yugioh VR//NS.

The first season of VR has come to an end, and so I've determined this would be a good time to give my thoughts on the season as a whole. I will state at the outset that I think that this is a bad series, that it suffers from numerous flaws of such severity that they render it impossible for me to enjoy the series. If reading criticism of the series would make you angry, please turn away now. If you are able to keep a level head, then go right ahead and read what I have to offer, and hopefully I will have something to offer.

Note: This review is going to be spoiler heavy and assumes that you are already familiar with the show.

So, first thing's first, the main character. Yusaku Fujiki, AKA Playmaker. He is the hero of the online world of LINK VRAINS, single-handily taking on the cuber-terrorists known as the Knights of Hanoi in his quest for revenge against them. And he is absolutely flawless. Seriously. He has no character flaws at all, he has no character traits that either serve as obstacles that he must overcome to achieve his goals, nor does he ever make mistakes or take morally compromised actions in his quest for vengeance. The show 'says' that he has flaws, it plays at the idea that Yusaku is an edgy badass antihero, but it never commits to Yusaku doing anything that would in line with that characterization. In every situation he knows more than everyone else, he is never out of his depth no matter what situation he is in, and despite being anti-social and having no charm or presence, he is somehow able to draw numerous people to himself to serve as his allies. Mind, Yusaku doesn't have much in the way of character traits to begin with; he has character tics and repeated behaviors, most notably his habit of listing things in threes, but none of this gels into a coherent center that would carry his character from one scene to the next. All Yusaku really has is his backstory; as a child he was kidnapped and tortured, and now he is all grown up and will stop at nothing for revenge, so long as that doesn't require him to do anything morally compromised as stated above. In short, Yusaku's backstory is used as a subsitute for writing an actual characgter, leaving him a power fantasy. He is designed for you to imagine that you too can be as badass as Yusaku, a point that is hammered home in an otherwise pointless scene where we see a little kid with a mini-playmaker Avatar who wants to be a great hero just like Yusaku.

Next up, the supporting cast. They don't hardly do anything or have any impact on anything. Go Onizuka is the epitome of this; he only shows up when he has a duel to participate in and otherwise does not appear in the series. Aoi Zaizen AKA Blue Angel meanwhile only exists to suffer and be humiliated; her introductory duel has her being possessed and then going into a coma, she has two token duels of no plot significance, and then she duels Specter, the man who'd infected her and put her in a coma to begin with. This duel is an absolutely one-sided slaughter that luridly lingers on her broken form as she is smashed into the pavement while her opponent finishes the duel with nearly twice as many life points as he'd started with. And just to rub it in how pathetically outclassed Aoi was, Specter immediately after duels Yusaku, who not only forces Specter to bring out his most powerful monster, but in fact he has to take a hostage to keep Playmaker from winning an entire episode early. Then there's the salt on the wound that the only character who cares about Aoi is her own brother; even thirty odd episodes into the show, she hasn't built up meaningful bonds with anyone else, so her defeat and humiliation don't even serve to motivate Yusaku, the only character who matters. Speaking of Akira, he along with Emma and Kusanagi represent the “responsible adults” in the show. Akira and Emma are both useless and pointless, unable to do anything that will affect the course of the show, while Kusanagi is useful but is completely unappreciated by Yusaku who acts entitled to all his myriad services in his quest for revenge.

The only supporting character who merits individual discussion is Ai, the rogue Ignis. He is basically the living McGuffin of the series that everyone is fighting over. He is intended to be a quirky, comic-relief character with a tender, dramatic core; he is on the run from everyone and Yusaku himself takes Ai hostage and has no regard for Ai as his own person. Much of the show tries to hype up their relationship, but Ai's overtures of friendship towards Yusaku are continuously rebuffed for no real reason, leaving the relationship hollow. Not to mention in the end, once Yusaku has gotten his revenge he just lets Ai go without a second thought and no guilt at all about using and endangering him in the first place.

Onto the villains! The Knights of Hanoi are not good villains! Their existence as a group is baffling; despite being cyberterrorists who believe that their destructive acts are morally necessary, they never make use of propaganda to make their case to anyone, leaving it a mystery as to how they recruited anyone, much less the hordes upon hordes of nameless faceless mooks that they throw out all over the place. There are three lieutenants, but they only show up for one arc, only get one duel each, lose their duels, and have no impact or lasting impression. Then there's Specter; he's your bog-standard annoying psychotic villain who makes goofy faces with an even goofier backstory about how he has a mother-complex towards a tree. Yes. A tree. A magic tree that protected him as a baby. Which he is able to remember despite that he was a literal baby at the time and you literally can not remember anything from when you were a literal baby. Oh, and also it turns out that he was one of the Lost Children who was captured and tortured just like Yusaku, but it just comes out of nowhere and gels poorly with the rest of his backstory. Its like, he straight up says that he enjoyed being tortured since he didn't have anywhere to belong on the outside, only to then say that he actually did miss his mom-tree and was very sad when he returned only to find that it had been cut down in the middle of the mountain-forest with all the other trees left alone. This is a thing that actually happened.

Even that though, is peanuts compared to Revolver, the leader of the Knights of Hanoi. He is supposed to be Yusaku's rival and is hyped up in the show as a big deal, but is in fact a total joke. Technically, he duels Yusaku four times, but in two of those duels he forces a draw and then immediately starts up another duel with Yusaku, so as far as the narrative and character beats go, its still the same duel. And in both cases, Yusaku wins, leaving Revolver a non-threat. The show gives him two more duels that he does win to try and hype him up for the rematch, except that both people he beats are people that Yusaku himself has already beaten, so it doesn't make us think that he could become a threat to Yusaku. Beyond his failure as a rival, it turns out he is Yusaku's special person who'd reached out to him when he was a child and being tortured; that Revolver never tried to reach out to the other five children who were kidnapped and tortured and brought to the same facility is never addressed. Regardless, Revolver has no regard for Yusaku in the present, except when he stands around pontificating about how he is totally so obsessed with Yusaku that he'll just stand there and not do anything about him, even when he discovers Yusaku's real-life identity.

In addition, there is the matter of the motivation behind the Knights of Hanoi; Revolver initially claims its all about how the internent is bad because people lie on it and junk, but it turns out that Revolver's dad was the one who had abducted and tortured Yusaku along with five other children and the torture was for the purpose of creating AI with free will. How he was able to capture so many children undetected and cover his tracks so that his own son had to leak the information to the police, and why he had to torture children in order to create his free willed AI is never explained. Regardless, after the creation of these free willed AI, Revolver's dad decides to run a simulation on what will happen when they try to guide humanity. I repeat; he runs a computer simulation about what will happen with state-of-the-art FREE WILLED AI. The contradiction of this flies right over Revolver's dad's head, and he decides that since the simulations say that humanity will be wiped out because humans will resent the AI trying to guide them LIKE HE WANTED THEM TO, that he must therefore destroy the AI to save humanity. Oh, and something about his Free-willed AI lying and so therefore they must be plotting the downfall of humanity. Even though they are literally just chilling in their own private network and aren't interacting with humanity at all.

Really, the writing in general is clunky and poorly thought out; there is an entire sequence where Revolver's dad shows up out of nowhere in front of Akira, drops some exposition at him, and then leaves. There is literally no reason why Revolver's dad would do this, and it has no impact on anything as Akira ends up “killed off” before he ever has any opportunity to do anything with the exposition that has been dropped on him. The series is littered with awkward “as you know Bob” exposition that does not so much foreshadow as it just spills what's going to happen. There are also all the rampant inconsistencies; Kusanagi has Yusaku infiltrate SOL technologies hidden database so that they can find out their role in the Lost Incident, only when they find out, Kusanagi is shocked that SOL technologies was involved! These sorts of writing flaws are everywhere in Yugioh VRAINS, undermining scenes, episodes, and even entire plot lines.

Then there's the issue of the pacing and plotting. The storyline of the first season consists of four different arcs; the introductory arc, the SOL invasion arc, the Another arc, and the Tower of Hanoi arc. The introductory arc establishes the characters and their relationships, and while it does suffer from the character issues mentioned above, it isn't drawn or dragged out too much. The SOL invasion and Another arcs on the other hand, are empty padding; the SOL invasion arc ends with our heroes learning nothing that they can actually use in their quest for revenge, while the Another arc fails to establish the character bonds and dynamics between Yusaku, Go, and Aoi. In fact, Go's duel in the Another arc is hilarious from a writing episode; his duel is a two-parter and the second part just ends in the middle of the second episode, so the episode just goes on into Aoi's part of the arc without any transition or connection; WHIPLASH! Oh, and out of 46 episodes, 4 of those episodes are recap episodes!

The animation and set designs are lackluster at best; LINK VRAINS is an online environment that can look like anything and anyone in it can look like anything, yet the environment itself is always the same dreary empty cityscape and most everyone has an avatar that looks just like them with maybe some cosmetic changes, maybe. The “Speed Duels”, where the characters ride on flying surfboards on the “Data Stream” lacks any sense of motion to it and adds nothing to the experience, and facial expressions are frequently stiff and fail to convey the intended mood. The music is also generic and uninteresting, leaving no lasting impression.

May as well talk about the duels in this series. They are boring as sin. Not only are the duels predictable in their entirety, the outcomes never in suspense, but the structures are repeatedly repetitive; Yusaku almost always goes second and wins the duel on the fourth turn after using his super special Storm Access skill to get a random Link monster that just so happens to be just what he needs to win, and as mentioned above both of his duels with Revolver have the same structure and even end in the same way. In addition, everyone duels the exact same way, spamming Link monsters; everyone's decks feel very samey because of this and so everything blurs together in a mushed up mash of indifference as each turn consists of anywhere from two to ten link summons in a row. That the show does a poor job explaining the Link Summon mechanic does not do it any favors either.

Finally, there is the matter of theme. Yugioh VRAINS doesn't have a theme, it has no message or purpose or anything like that. Yusaku fights a bunch of bad guys, he beats them all by himself as everyone else is ineffectual, and he gets his revenge and now he doesn't have PTSD anymore. That's it. The show is so fixated on “Plot” that it never gets around to having any of it mean anything. Sure, plenty of characters stand around and pontificate and say things that sound deep and meaningful, but none of it matters.

In the end, the show is a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Is it possible for the show to improve in the second season? Yes. But then, lots of things are possible, like the show doubling-down on all its flaws to churn out cheap, schlocky, familiar tropes without any heart or soul behind them.

P.S. The show queerbaits the hell out of Yusaku and Revolver's relationship, only for Revolver to just up and leave on a speedboat, leaving behind his father and all his comrades that he supposedly care about. That is all I have to say about that.

I think the idea of Vrains not having a theme was to parallel the character of Yusaku himself who, at most, has a cliche goal of revenge and stereotypical notion of it - due to the fact he is suppose to be a vessel of the individual he could have been or is, at this point. Given that fact, evident through the show's slow-burn story and the character progressing together into change in this last duel of the season (mind you, many of yugioh's first major duels are what bring about set each of the series on track for it's true themes, messages, and arcs - which are usually a tournament where the MC wins the championship, so Vrains does set itself apart very well), I think you're being a little too harsh. The show has a 140+ ep runtime and was under constant constraints and rushed production time, unlike the other series in the franchise. While the dueling mechanic is a little wonky, and I have to agree they feel samey, there are great moments that shine through and the show presents great potential for it.

Overall catching up has been a blast
Jun 28, 2019 11:14 AM

Jun 2012
Nice end to season 1. The end bit after the duel felt a bit rushed but looking forward to the next arc and the possible closure him and kusanagi have gotten. This is where the real show begins!
Oct 6, 2019 11:11 PM

Dec 2012
Dem tokens.
Seinaru Baria - Mira Fosu!
Firewall Dragon.
Zero Extra Link.
9200 ATK!
Link Short.
Decode Talker.
9200 ATK!
Dat Revolver... Nani?!
Ekusu... kariba!
Playmaker wins!
My waifu is awake! YES!!!!!!!
lol Surprised that face plant didnt kill Aoi.
The tower is gone.
Ryoken dipped.
Yusaku frees Ai.
Ai is gone.

Thanks for saving my waifu Emma, Playmaker.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 34 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2018

22 by CyanGear »»
Mar 10, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2017

27 by XanderBly »»
Feb 25, 3:16 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 120 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2019

48 by JVskunkape »»
Aug 27, 2023 5:38 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 82 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2018

13 by denana1239 »»
Jun 2, 2023 10:39 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 102 Discussion

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

10 by StarlingBGYT »»
Jan 16, 2023 10:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.