Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kokkoku: Moment by Moment
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 25, 2018 10:23 PM
Apr 2016
SoraSenpai said:
What was up with the pictures at the end? Was it just to remember Jiisan when he dies? Also how did the founder know of Juri's ancestors? Idk seemed a little silly of an ending. I would have rather had this as episode 11 and then a wrap up in episode 12. But whatever. They never really went into life continuing either. So did everything turn back on once Jiisan was sent back?It would make sense since it was his blood to begin with.

karmashizzle said:
story was meh. 6/10
op/ed song was really good tho.

Babe.

Because the husband of the "Founder" gave one of the stones to Yukawa' ancestors. It is said so while they are conversing, you have missed it. They have returned to their normal lives, with Juri's brother finally getting work and Sagawa being added as a younger brother for the Makoto. Nothing "turned back", Stasis and the normal world exist separately. While we were there with Juri, seeing how she spent half a year in the Stasis, mere moments have passed for the people in the normal world, and we see it all return to how it was when Juri is expelled from the Stasis, and the spell is undone by the jellyfish girl.
Re:formed
Mar 25, 2018 10:36 PM

Dec 2015
That was a dumb ending. I was hoping there would be more as well. Oh well. I'll have to drop my score for such a convenient and nonsensical ending, but overall it was a decent anime.
Mar 25, 2018 10:52 PM
Jul 2018
8/10.

It could have been better if there's more explanation about the stasis world and the power those people have when they are in the stasis, and also if the blonde woman wasn't just shown in the early scene of the first episode but mentioned throughout the anime.

It's still a great watch tho, definitely one of the better shows in this season.
Mar 26, 2018 12:26 AM

Dec 2010
some of the animation made the characters look like this was shin-chan. It's like the animators just said fuck it.
Mar 26, 2018 12:29 AM

May 2016
im just here bcoz i hoped ill read something like: this anime will get a 2nd season bcoz it doesnt finished the manga. and hell no! i read comments like its really finished! damn im disappointed! this anime has a really interesting story, and i wished they will continue a lil longer. ahh.. im so sad.
Mar 26, 2018 12:52 AM

Nov 2016
LOve the anime, ending is quite satisfying and lovely. Juri is kinda cute.
Mar 26, 2018 3:45 AM

Dec 2014
BLaCkGuN69 said:
Moral of the story:yesterday's enemy could be tomorrow's son, so never hold a grudge

I laughed way too hard at this.
Mar 26, 2018 4:41 AM

Jul 2016
Was a nice and enjoyable ride.

Would have liked some more explanation but still very enjoyable.
Mar 26, 2018 5:35 AM

Apr 2017
NB4Y said:
kikusan said:
Extreme deus ex machina, but given how it's the last episode they didn't have any other choice but to rush it.
Btw how did the Dad know that Juri was coming back THAT night? Don't tell me he just had a hunch because I don't want to believe that they trusted that useless man's intuition and that it turned out to be right.

You do realize that it's a show about time stop and that the months she spent alone were nothing in the real world?
The dad knew she was coming back that day because she would either live there forever or come back the same day as the others.

You're right, but they should've made it clearer, it sounded absolutely dumb to me when they just went and said "dad said you'd come back tonight so we believed him". Weird.

Daniel_Naumov said:
Oh boy I have completely forgot the scientific part and thought that Grandfather simply believed that she would come back. You are right if she was to come back it would either way happen that night.

Same here, how were we supposed to remember that with such an "unscientific" end haha?
Mar 26, 2018 6:57 AM

Oct 2013
That Deus ex Machina ending ruined the show for me.

From a 7/10 to a 6/10.
Mar 26, 2018 7:07 AM
Mar 2017
I expected a more complete explanation of all the Stasis and the Heralds, but this is fine.
It was a happy, decent ending (for some reason I did not have any feelings, it was anticlimactic ... should it be because things rushed?)
7/10
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Mar 26, 2018 8:36 AM

Apr 2013
eh Kokoku last episode was pretty decent for me. The 12 episodes was but a fleeting moment in the world and I felt like there was a decent message of enjoying your given time in it.
pretty sure grandpa RIPed
the father is still fked up though
Mar 26, 2018 9:03 AM

Jul 2015
I really enjoyed this series and the last episode.

Life in stasis is so boring that anyone can go mad.But thankfully Juri got to meet the blonde woman i.e the founder of this thing from the first episode.

Happy to see Sagawa got adopted as Juri's child Everyone got a happy ending.

9/10 from me.

Mar 26, 2018 9:06 AM

Apr 2013
I just read that ppl think the founder just conveniently appeared. Am i the only one here that thought it was actually the founder attracting the heralds or would be heralds to her. Sort of like a moth to a candle flame?

Cause that was exactly what juri mention no? About wanting to meet the warm light. And the tobino herald was also given peace by finding the founder. (also both juri n herald were walking towards the same thing)
Mar 26, 2018 10:51 AM
Dec 2017
Not a bad ending, theres a few points I wish they'd have done more with but overall it was a good ending and I'm perfectly happy with it

All in all I actually really enjoyed this series, good plot, nice enough animation and good characters
Mar 26, 2018 11:15 AM

Oct 2013
Yeah... I kinda maybe sorta think maybe I thought the blonde was peculiar when I watched the first episode, but I could be imagining that seeing others mention her because I had no idea she was introduced previously while watching this episode. It seems like an asspull to me, but it's whatever; at least it was foreshadowed?

I do think the tragedy route would've made for a more satisfying conclusion, but seeing this kinda made me happy and befit the tone of the series. I'm satisfied all the same. Of particular note to me is how deeply lonely Juri's isolation in Statsis felt. The world felt stilted and barren.

Overall I was pleased with this show. I don't think it was nearly as incohesive as others seem to, and it was pretty consistent in tone and delivery even if there was a bit going on and the flow of the narrative was a bit fast.

The Heralds, Stasis, basically every supernatural element of the show was so firmly pushed into the "supernatural" category that they seemed like a distant mystery worthy of awe rather than some strange super power that needed half a dozen monologues of lore explaining it. I'd actually preferred the final explanation with the true "Founder" was left out, and the source of Stasis surrounded in mystery. However, the origins of the true Founder -- including who or what the hell she is -- remain veiled in mystery, so all is well enough.

I have a personal bias towards slower, more narratively layered shows, so this series had little chance of being GOAT material. Nonetheless, I appreciate it a lot for what it was. I enjoyed the folklore-esque supernatural worldbuilding, the general setting -- even the fact the entire series takes place in one instant in time -- the character dynamics and motivations, and Juri is lowkey waifu material. She was especially attractive this episode, but I appreciated her character a lot in general.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 26, 2018 11:55 AM

Dec 2014
well the finale was good I think I like how she was able to meet with her family...nice anime series of the season
Mar 26, 2018 1:36 PM

Dec 2007
so I give this a "lol wtf ok" somehow i was eager every week for an episode and it was satisfying. wouldn't watch it again but it was something new.

Mar 26, 2018 1:38 PM

Nov 2012
This was interesting anime. I enjoyed it. Not once did I skip that OP, though.

Would love to see a scene where people outside of stasis is just confused about all that destruction, stolen stuff, things falling out of air suddenly and dead bodies all over the place :P

N O
D E P R E S S I N G
T H O U G H T S

sagawa's wish of starting over with a new family came true

9/10

Mar 26, 2018 1:48 PM

Apr 2016
True that's a "Deus ex machina" but how can we complain or even be surprised when we were fed every episode with a "this week, discover a new magical power!!!".

I mean with this kind of (bad) writing, everything's possible, even a meeting with the godess/founder at the last minute.

So, the story is not so well thought but at least I liked the characters a lot, so happy ending is perfect for me.
Mar 26, 2018 2:22 PM

Mar 2009
The story was so-so but I liked the characters, and I especially enjoyed Juri's relationships with her family... especially her and her grandpa, it was cute.
Mar 26, 2018 2:48 PM

Aug 2017
Overall it's a good anime but it would have been great if the ending was Juri turning into an herald and not the ending we got here with that woman who came from nowhere
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 2018 3:22 PM

Oct 2012
I hope someone sees my post and responds because I don't know how to Google it. What did the bubble in the last picture with Juri, little Sagawa and Shouko Majima say?
Mar 26, 2018 3:26 PM

Mar 2013
I thought blonde lady came out of nowhere, but she was in the first episode-- totally forgot. Glad they connect the first and last episodes together.

I'm happy that everyone was together again, and Sagawa got to start over with a their family :3
Mar 26, 2018 4:06 PM

Nov 2015
Seriously tho , the story was awesome and the ending was done in a very smart way , the problem is the animation was bad
Mar 26, 2018 4:06 PM

Nov 2015
Seriously tho , the story was awesome and the ending was done in a very smart way , the problem is the animation was bad
Mar 26, 2018 4:07 PM

Jan 2015
Well that ending was the asspull of the season.

The show had some cool moments but overall it was just average and waste of potential. OP and ED were nice. 5/10
Mar 26, 2018 5:28 PM

Feb 2009
Underrated show. This could have achieved a 9 if some ideas came together just a little bit better. I'm sticking with 8/10.
Mar 26, 2018 8:58 PM

Aug 2013
I remember seeing that blonde woman in the first episode, but I completely forgot who she was and definitely did not expect her to be the plot device to get Juri out.

I want to re-watch the first episode and see if there were any hints in that scene that would make it seem more obvious that she was important.

Juri definitely has some will power though. She was in stasis for almost 200 days? And got rid of the kid pretty early on so spent the majority of that time 100% alone. Most people would've given up in a fraction of that time.

Definitely liked the happy ending though. Nobody knewshe was out of stasis, she had to walk for fucking ever to get back home, didnt even expect the door to be open, and everyone was actually waiting the whole time. Even I got a bit misty eyed like Juri at the end.

Only thing that disappointed me was no real conclusion with Majima, Sako or Shiomi. They were side characters, but they were allies for most of the show and had plenty of screen time. They were more fucking relevant than the useless father. I was a bit surprised when Juri told Majima it'd be the last time they see each other, because, assuming she did get out of stasis, it's not like they were on bad terms with each other. Majima didnt hate or blame Juri for her family, and Juri didnt hate Majima since she was never actually allied with Sagawa. Majima was even appearing to take the initiative there and made it seem like she didnt want to leave Juri/still wanted some kind of friendship as she got kicked out of stasis. Christ, her brother, new Sagawa and Makoto would've all been around the same age too.

Sako and Shiomi are less important, but Sako turned a new leaf halfway through the series and Shiomi was promised the organization and was kind of a neutral dude, so a glimpse of what they were up to would've been nice too.
Mar 26, 2018 10:40 PM

Jul 2015
It was fine and the resolution was ok. The anime in general was mostly boring and only the last couple of episodes were kind of interesting. 7/10 i guess.
John_MaxMar 26, 2018 10:50 PM
Mar 26, 2018 11:42 PM

Mar 2009
Nice deus ex machina ending. Far too convenient.

Show started off pretty great with a neat premise but ended up a bit of a slog. Didn't help that the recent episodes were weird as hell, and RANDOM VILLAIN BACKSTORY.

Oh, well. At least it broke up the monotony of all the cute and slice-of-life series this season. And the OP was cool as hell.
Mar 27, 2018 12:53 AM

Jan 2009
RPPuzzle said:
I hope someone sees my post and responds because I don't know how to Google it. What did the bubble in the last picture with Juri, little Sagawa and Shouko Majima say?

ご視聴ありがとう 感謝

Something like "Thanks for watching"
Mar 27, 2018 1:50 AM
May 2012
To those complaining regarding what seemed like an extreme Deus Ex Machina at the end, there are a few possible explanations.

Recall that unlike the other characters, Juri was born with the "jellyfish" specters inside her (or had them for a very long time). They became a part of her biology to the extent that they were able to "influence" her on a subconscious level to physically approach the founder. As we see her in the specter state with her arms outstretched, we can see the specters in her body moving about in an excited state. She even states: "I want to go over there."

They were naturally attracted towards either their origin or a strong presence of a similar entity (like attracts like). It's also possible the dragon-like specter (whose eye was used to make the stone) guided the jellyfish inside Juri to the founder. Otherwise its random appearance would not make sense. Perhaps they even communicated with one another, just as Makoto was able to communicate with one of the heralds.

Speaking of, that same herald was also in the vicinity of the founder. He may have been following Juri, or perhaps he too was similarly attracted. It's likely the specters were trying to influence Juri early on, but were unable to do so due to her preoccupation with various events (kidnapping, conflict with Sagara, etc.).

When she is alone we see her getting stressed. That may very well have been due to loneliness (as one should expect), or it could have been due to an internal struggle between the desire to stay at home near her family verses her "instinct" to leave driven by the specters. Towards the end, without anything else to distract her (grandpa, baby, entertainment, etc.), the specters finally won her over, "forcing" her to leave and resolving the inner conflict.

That may explain the bipolarism where we initially see her very happy (almost euphoric), only to be overcome with extreme sadness once she is physically away from her family for an extended period of time. It could also be that as she approached the founder, the jellyfish wanted to exit her body (intending to enter the founder's) and the feeling of sadness/emptiness was a natural side effect.

I don't know if my theory is correct, but for an anime that went to a great extent in explaining the pseudo-science behind the world, it would seem unlikely the meeting between Juri and the founder in the middle of nowhere happened without some explanation behind it.

I don't entirely recall the full context of the anime having watched it as it aired (even skimming through some of the episodes), so feel free to correct me.
Mar 27, 2018 6:23 AM

Apr 2013
I love the whole animation/character design of this anime. It's so old school yet modern. Majima is so cool. Need to check out manga if the ending is the same or not.

Mar 27, 2018 8:29 AM
Jan 2016
Yeah, I can't imagine to live in the Stasis like that alone...it'll be really depressing hahaha. And yeah, to get out from the Stasis is really easy haha, you only need to find the Founder's wife and yeah that's how it is...I think the ending is a happy one, everybody is safe and Juri is back too, so Sagawa has become Juri's child hmm...not bad. Yeah this kind of anime is really interesting and enjoyable I think. I will miss Kokkoku I think hahaha.
Mar 27, 2018 8:33 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
With the appearing of this new character, the woman that can enter and exit of Statis, will can create a new spin-off!!!
Mar 27, 2018 9:58 AM

Oct 2012
Cool series. I always appreciate anything that steers from the norm. As with many sci-fi shows the world-building was the best part. Wonder what I would do if I was stuck in the stasis.
Mar 27, 2018 10:13 AM

Oct 2008
OMG! I'm so happy to see that Juri came back out of stasis!
I really thought she's gonna go crazy and turn into a Herald but she almost turn and luckily she met with a woman who might be god because she never age!
anyways looks like everything went well for Yukawa family!
shame we didn't see what happened to Majima, baby Sagawa, Shiomi & Sako!
I wonder how time flows on real world compared to Stasis? if she's been there for more than 200 days, was she stuck for just few hours? (since she came back at the city and walked home maybe for just a few hours?)
Hope there's an S2!
5/5.
8/10.
matias067Mar 27, 2018 10:47 AM

Mar 27, 2018 12:46 PM

Nov 2011
Easily the anime with the best story this season imo, but the plot and execution were at the other end of the scale, had potential but squandered, no idea what was happening 90% of the time. 5.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 27, 2018 3:09 PM

Sep 2017
I enjoyed this series, but not to the extent that some might have. While the ending was very nicely connected to the first episode, I felt like this series has a significant tonal dissonance, like there's moments where it doesn't know whether to be funny or serious.
However, I have to give the series some props for the story's originality, believability of the Yukawas, that act like an actual family with regular disfunctions, and the killer OP and ED.

6/10
miguitronikMar 27, 2018 3:14 PM
Mar 27, 2018 4:25 PM
Dec 2013
I had to retrieve my account just to post here. that was a refreshing anime for me, i usually watch power of nakama anime's... I watched it in one sitting (well maybe two), so i remembered the blonde girl from the first episode.. just have a few questions, why did she keep the exorcist handler dude alive?? and left him there.. and why did they do the dad like that? didn't even give him powers... 7.5/10
Mar 27, 2018 6:42 PM
May 2012
matias067 said:

I wonder how time flows on real world compared to Stasis? if she's been there for more than 200 days, was she stuck for just few hours? (since she came back at the city and walked home maybe for just a few hours?)

My understanding is she was there (in real time) for very small fractions of a microsecond. Remember, time is still flowing in stasis, it is just ridiculously slow. Recall that when she leaves stasis, the sky is an early sunset orange, the same when she enters it in episode 1. Similarly, people who we see in statsis early on (e.g. Sanae, her sister, stopping the cans from falling in ep. 4) are still in the same position they were before in the last episode. Since we don't see any noticeable change, my conclusion is she was only there for an extremely small fragment of time. The only reason it took her till nightfall to reach home, was because she was very far away (not to mention having to actually stop at the crosswalks).
robert_garciaMar 27, 2018 6:54 PM
Mar 28, 2018 12:42 AM
Mar 2012
Kinda like the cool OP, realistic fumbling fights.
I liked the mystery dev till around halfway, then it got very weird plot points, certainly unique but eh, also lots of convenient unique abilities pop up just when needed. Quite like the family dynamics & comedy surrounding Matoko & dad. Certainly cool end with villain Sagawa reborn, and Juri going insane from stasis solitude but meeting the woman from ep1.
Feels like only ~3 episodes were truly intense thriller feel (which B Beginning had about every episode), and the rest probably due to stasis or pacing, feels empty silent & flat. This show explains more of the stasis world/time concepts than say AICO, but has a similar messy development.
It distinctly feels like the content & originality is fairly good, but the presentation just didn't draw me in most times.
Mar 28, 2018 2:13 AM
Oct 2007
A cheesy decent finale. I like @robert_garcia explanation on what most viewers are calling it a Deus Ex Machina. I think it make sense and I can accept it but the execution wasn't clear enough for the common audience to pick it up, thus the many criticisms. The explanation with the original founder in this episode feels a bit rush too. @Zahylon sums it up well.

Apart from that, I love seeing how Juri depicted losing herself all alone in the world. 7/10 overall for me. Definitely worth watching if one has the time. A very intriguing and interesting 3 months ride.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2018 3:51 AM

May 2015
I'm so curious as to what's going on with Shiomi and Sako during the ending montage. Are they looking over a dead body?

Gonna miss hearing that glorious OP.
Mar 28, 2018 8:03 AM
Apr 2016
CtrlZED said:
I'm so curious as to what's going on with Shiomi and Sako during the ending montage. Are they looking over a dead body?

Gonna miss hearing that glorious OP.

Quite unclear, but probably yes. Someone had to dispose of all the bodies Sagawa left behind. I guess they did so and became accomplices in living a decent life, eh? I wanted more on Shiomi, personally.
Re:formed
Mar 28, 2018 10:24 AM

May 2015
What. Seriously, what? That's it?
Weirdest show of the season. The idea was interesting, I liked the beginning and some of the characters but at some point everything went downhill. It's like nothing made sense but at the same time all happened to be so convenient. The conclusion felt cheap and oh so easy.
At least the OP is great. But overall, meh.
Mar 29, 2018 6:08 AM

Mar 2016
That's a great last episode character development and a little time skip.

Kokkoku has so much potential to be a mindblowing show but I guess, it was more focused on the relationship Juri have with her family members. This sure is one long day... (200 days+???) In the end, it was an alright ending, Juri got back with her family and they all grow older like normal humans. The identity of the 'Founder' was finally revealed too.
Mar 29, 2018 7:38 AM

Oct 2013
Like, one's tempting to say the ending was sudden and perhaps it was, yet it also concluded itself well enough. We already saw Juri spend quite some time in statis, with the child then on her own so there wasn't really much left to show. I actually loved that part btw, as I'm sure many would be curious what would it be like to live in a still world - well, Juri shows. Glad she got a happy end tough. The biggest flaw I can think of right now is how that woman blonde woman just had one brief appearance early and now just a few mins at the end. I mean, I'd like at least half an ep about her,maybe hanging out with Juri's family. On the other hand, it wasn't really necessary.

I wouldn't mind getting more shows like this every once in a while and they don't have to be masterpieces either. This much was enough for me. 8/10
Mar 29, 2018 8:41 AM

Mar 2014
This was a nice way to wrap things up. I really appreciated how they explored how it would feel for someone to be trapped alone in the stasis world. Lots of great little moments with Juri, too.

The series had a lot of great moments, thinking back on it, too. I really liked all of the twists and turns when it came to discovering how the world worked. It felt like there was a new discovery every episode. I also really liked how the main characters were written, and now that it's over, I feel a connection to these characters and I'll miss seeing them on screen. Definitely a memorable cast, overall.

The art & animation was also really great, and I've got to take my hat off to Geno Studio for using CGI in a way that didn't look like complete garbage. I think it helps that they used it sparingly and never for any kind of character animation. Really interested to see how they handle Golden Kamuy next season.

In any case, the show lands at a solid 8/10 on my list.
::End of Transmission::

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2018

66 by fathandz »»
Nov 18, 2023 9:49 PM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2018

53 by fathandz »»
Nov 17, 2023 11:48 PM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2018

60 by fathandz »»
Nov 15, 2023 3:47 AM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2018

43 by fathandz »»
Nov 12, 2023 9:51 PM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2018

50 by fathandz »»
Nov 11, 2023 8:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.