Forum Settings
Forums

Manga that had potential but writer blow it ?

New
Mar 5, 2018 12:37 PM

Jan 2013
Kinda interested in people's opinion on this. What manga made you say '' Man, I wish it didn't end that way '' or '' All that potential but rushed ending and poor execution ruined it " ? For me just recently happened. It was Katekyo Hitman Reborn! . I can't believe how it ended. I sometimes wonder how can someone have such talent in writing something, then ruin it so fast. Reborn! main problem was too many gag stuff in it, and Tsuna that never changed, and then there's the ending. Poor execution , and it was kinda original and kinda epic, could have evolved into much bigger manga if it was done better. Same with Bleach.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 5, 2018 1:57 PM
a car

Jun 2017
I'm going to get flamed saying this...

...but I'm going with Hunter X Hunter as my answer. I loved the whole "mind games" style it had at the beginning, but then it dropped all of that from Greed Island onward and started to become more like a regular Shounen.

Usually people hate that, but for some reason Greed Island and Chimera Ants seem like everyone's favorite arcs. Granted, the climax of Chimera Ants was pretty darn great but that's all I liked in between Yorkshin and the Election Arc.
Mar 6, 2018 1:47 PM

Jul 2015
Vagabond because it didn't end
Mar 6, 2018 3:00 PM

Jul 2008
Claymore — It seems as though Norihiro Yagi built up so much back-story and alluded to so many things that he wasn't able to wrap it up competently. There was a long period where it felt like the series was dragging on, and then suddenly it entered the climax and ended. There was the hero vs. villain showdown, but besides that it didn't feel as though the characters were particularly complete or that the story had been fleshed out, at least to me. I wished it had been plotted differently after the Battle of the North.

topazio said:
Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko (and specially the sequel). The art is superb and makes it really atmospheric, combined with the weird af premise and the setting (a city by a river where lots of weird stuff happens) at the start I thought I would love it...but the author sadly never went anywhere with it, rather streching the story way too much (even though it was only 5 volumes) and making it repetitive with a lame ending that resorted to overused tropes.

His other work, Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidone suru (which is a short story collection), and his one shots are great though. Maybe he's just better at the short medium.

https://myanimelist.net/manga/38111/Chimoguri_Ringo_to_Kingyobachi_Otoko

https://myanimelist.net/manga/85812/Shin_Chimoguri_Ringo_to_Kingyobachi_Otoko

Damn — I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I think Blood Diver Ringo and the Fishbowl Man is Abe Youichi's best work, especially the sequel. The first seven or so chapters of the Shin manga are executed to perfection in my mind. I agree there's not too much of a story per se, but the plot is terrific. I absolutely would not say it doesn't go anywhere, in fact there's a revelation pretty much every chapter and the action at the beginning of the sequel is incredibly well paced and builds and builds and builds to that explosive finale that goes against expectation so well — not once do I think it slipped into any familiar tropes. It did fissile out a little after the initial action, but the manga was cut short by the publisher. I think it's clear from the author's afterword that he wasn't able to take the manga quite where he wanted to, but I guess that is partially his fault.
ToukaMar 6, 2018 3:07 PM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Mar 6, 2018 9:14 PM

Feb 2017
legend of maian - this manga was a damn masterpiece but that shithead motherfucker mangaka didnt finish it!!!
and you know why?? cuz he was bored with the story.....ya thats it.

Mar 7, 2018 4:05 AM

Jul 2008
topazio said:
Actually it does slip into a very familiar trope, the very end at it:

I think it is worth a read because it is still a rather unique manga, it won't be like anything someone have read before. The art is great and perfectly fits the setting, which makes it very atmospheric. Still, plot/narrative-wise I felt it wasn't used to its full potential. The concept got a bit tiring for me halfway through the first part. The melon people arc renewed my enjoyment with the manga, but it didn't last long.

I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Mar 7, 2018 5:03 AM
Jul 2018
Magi was one of my favorites but everything from Alma Toran arc onwards started going downhill and most of the characters became unlikable to me. It was so disappointing to the point where I regretted actually spending money on this series.

KHR's manga only arcs were lackluster but it wasn't so disappointing for me to the point where I want nothing to do with the series.
removed-userMar 7, 2018 5:13 AM
Mar 7, 2018 5:58 AM

Jun 2013
Kyoumo said:
Magi was one of my favorites but everything from Alma Toran arc onwards started going downhill and most of the characters became unlikable to me. It was so disappointing to the point where I regretted actually spending money on this series.

KHR's manga only arcs were lackluster but it wasn't so disappointing for me to the point where I want nothing to do with the series.

Magi fell so tragically......idk what the writer was thinking trying to make sinbad so unlikable etc

it was so huge in 2012ish i think it peaked at the arc with cassim.
Ideals, philosophy, art, culture. They live and die for the meme. - Kamukura Izuru

Mar 7, 2018 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
aiaisu said:
Kyoumo said:

Magi fell so tragically......idk what the writer was thinking trying to make sinbad so unlikable etc

The writer is probably trying to make him a "morally gray" character but she overdid it in my opinion.

Mar 7, 2018 6:21 AM

Jun 2013
Kyoumo said:
aiaisu said:

The writer is probably trying to make him a "morally gray" character but she overdid it in my opinion.

i agree, it was risky too considering the fact she had a whole other manga spinoff dedicated to him and it did NOT PAY OFF.
Ideals, philosophy, art, culture. They live and die for the meme. - Kamukura Izuru

Mar 7, 2018 1:36 PM

Mar 2009
Golden Kamuy. vol 1 seemed so promising, then vol 2 just killed it all for me, Maybe put your detailed account of how to skin and cook a rabbit 5 ways as a side thing, instead of stopping the entire story to a grinding halt to tell me and then doing it again a chapter or so later for some sort of pheasant. If I wanted a cooking manga, I would read What Did You Eater Yesterday. Vol 2 spent more time on cooking than on story or character development, what a let down for me.
Mar 7, 2018 8:02 PM

Sep 2017
zawa113 said:
Golden Kamuy. vol 1 seemed so promising, then vol 2 just killed it all for me, Maybe put your detailed account of how to skin and cook a rabbit 5 ways as a side thing, instead of stopping the entire story to a grinding halt to tell me and then doing it again a chapter or so later for some sort of pheasant. If I wanted a cooking manga, I would read What Did You Eater Yesterday. Vol 2 spent more time on cooking than on story or character development, what a let down for me.

you shouldn't have stopped there,it has a good story over all
hi,i like you.
Mar 7, 2018 8:03 PM

Sep 2017
oyasumi punpun
i dont even have the guts to put it in my list.
what a huge let down lmao
hi,i like you.
Mar 8, 2018 5:33 AM

Mar 2009
After reading vol 1 of Golden Kamuy, I wasn't completely on board, but was still deciding, so vol 2 really needed to impress me. After reading vol 2, the very thought of reading any more Golden Kamuy made me want to whine and cry, so I figured that was a fair point at which to drop it. It wasn't a mere "15 pages" that broke the manga for me, but that the other 185 pages couldn't make up for it that was pretty sad.
Mar 8, 2018 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
Jormungand and Hunter x Hunter, it just doesnt finish or stopped completly -.-
Mar 10, 2018 5:19 AM

Aug 2017
MX0 started of so well with great comedy, engaging plot and when the actual plot was starting it was axed. Also, rushing the ending with intro of another love interest and the initial one showing interest in someone else was😥
Mar 12, 2018 5:43 AM

Sep 2011
Air Gear. After it gets more and more into "supernatural" stuff, I just can't help it but to facepalm and it's really cringe-worthy. I really liked the first arcs though.

Mar 12, 2018 3:25 PM
Feb 2012
You are right about Reborn it was absolutely terrible.

Another one that quickly comes to mind is Yamada and the 7 witches when the author decided to add even more witches and more stupid ways their power worked.
Mar 12, 2018 5:50 PM
Jun 2013
Tsuna not changing kinda makes sense though, since everything he is in KHR is forced upon him by others, he never wanted to have power or lead an organization he only wanted friends and get the girl, which he got in the end. basically he was always forced to be someone he wasn't so he had no real motivation to actually change as a character.

A manga with potential that got worse is Defence Devil, it starts out as a interesting detective story about demons but turns into a predictable shounen battle series after a couple of arcs (kinda like what happened to Bleach)

then there is Cage of Eden, which has one of the weirdest unsatisfying endings to date:

Mar 13, 2018 2:09 AM

Nov 2016
haven read many mangas yet, so lets go mainstreamish.

eden no ori and ousama game. both had pathetic endings and ill pretend a nuke exploded and killed them all instead.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Mar 14, 2018 6:02 AM
Apr 2016
casualweeaboo said:
Vagabond because it didn't end

Technically it has not ended yet, Inoue is just on a long long vacation... Even from Real. I think I read somwhere he wil draw when he feel like it, hahaha...
Mar 14, 2018 8:58 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Naruto. Point blank.

While rereading through the series to finish it and get a better scope on it now that I am an adult I realized how much is lost from the beginning. The allegory to ninjas from a young age basically being child soldiers and the entire metaphor of these ninja nations living in a land after war is hardly touched on after the first arc and only rarely brought up as a lofty "the next generation will heal the nations" bullshit that is lost and never brought home. It brings it up at the ending arc in full force as if it was there the entire time.

There are many other issues, characters are wasted upon as background fodder. The power system makes no sense and is escalated to the point of being literal GOD TIER. Not to mention that every female in the series is basically treated by gender first ninja last and not in any way brought up in the text either.

It's honestly upsetting that a phenomenal piece of work about ninjas and world build is on such weak aspects from almost the beginning. I don't even know if I can blame Kishi 100% because his editors told him to insert a lot of dumbassey since the Chunnin Exam that ended up falling flat on it's ass. Oh well. We tried.
Mar 14, 2018 9:25 AM

Jun 2015
NARUTO, BLEACH, FAIRY TAIL and Reborn! too. I was following it religiously but it became kind of a drag and I just dropped them all, especially after knowing the ending. I finished Reborn but got bummed by the end too -__-

I was a big fan of Air Gear as well, until the second half of the manga, which became extremely confusing and a complete mess.

Mar 14, 2018 11:09 AM

Dec 2017
Don't know if that counts but I'm sad because Noragami manga is in hiatus.
Mar 14, 2018 2:11 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Usagi Drop - bad plot twist.
Deadman Wonderland - horribly written ending.
Momo - could've been a nonromantic shoujo w/ great potential but decided to be generic.
Floor ni Maou ga Imasu - could've been a great slice of life fantasy if dialogue or story was more interesting.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Mar 15, 2018 6:02 AM
Feb 2009
Naman_Gupta said:
MX0 started of so well with great comedy, engaging plot and when the actual plot was starting it was axed. Also, rushing the ending with intro of another love interest and the initial one showing interest in someone else was😥

Yes and why nothing else from the author. he had promice.

qeesa said:
NARUTO, BLEACH, FAIRY TAIL and Reborn! too. I was following it religiously but it became kind of a drag and I just dropped them all, especially after knowing the ending. I finished Reborn but got bummed by the end too -__-

I was a big fan of Air Gear as well, until the second half of the manga, which became extremely confusing and a complete mess.

I was waiting for Naruto and Bleach to be mentioned. All long running series get worse. Doubt you can name one that gets better, i might be wrong but prove it.
Also, Fairy Tail didn't have promise.
Mar 15, 2018 7:04 AM

Jun 2015
qeesa said:

I was waiting for Naruto and Bleach to be mentioned. All long running series get worse. Doubt you can name one that gets better, i might be wrong but prove it.
Also, Fairy Tail didn't have promise.[/quote]
Pretty sure One Piece would probably follow on Naruto and Bleach's footsteps too. They were all my favourites until the rushed/badly written/generic ending.

I might get flamed for this but Tokyo Ghoul is honestly a fricking mess as well, even though it hasn't ended yet.

AND ABOUT FAIRY TAIL, THAT'S SAVAGE LMAO XD But yea it was basically an alternate universe of Rave. I was reading it mostly for Erza Scarlet but midway it all just became a drag to follow and it just ended up as one of those generic shounen mangas.

Mar 15, 2018 7:54 AM

Jan 2018
Erased imo.because I think that the ending could be a little better.
Mar 15, 2018 12:40 PM

Apr 2017
Terra Formars. I really loved that manga while they were on Mars. But after returning to Earth it went downhill like a flash. It's the first and the only manga I have lost my interest and stopped reading after investing so much of my time into it.
Mar 16, 2018 1:33 PM

Feb 2018
Tenkuu Shinpan.

Great concept but this manga is actually worse than fairy tail now.
Hard to believe it's the same guy that made 'Ajin'.
Mar 22, 2018 10:45 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I've never seen a manga with a larger quality drop than that of tokyo ghoul.
Original manga was great, but the sequel is really, really bad.
Ishida added too many characters to the already large cast and the manga overall became a clusterfuck.
The sequel was a terrible mistake.

Akame ga Kill was fun at the beginning but it went to shit halfway. I only stuck around for the art and to see what happens at the end.

Stripes said:
Naruto. Point blank.

While rereading through the series to finish it and get a better scope on it now that I am an adult I realized how much is lost from the beginning. The allegory to ninjas from a young age basically being child soldiers and the entire metaphor of these ninja nations living in a land after war is hardly touched on after the first arc and only rarely brought up as a lofty "the next generation will heal the nations" bullshit that is lost and never brought home. It brings it up at the ending arc in full force as if it was there the entire time.

There are many other issues, characters are wasted upon as background fodder. The power system makes no sense and is escalated to the point of being literal GOD TIER. Not to mention that every female in the series is basically treated by gender first ninja last and not in any way brought up in the text either.

It's honestly upsetting that a phenomenal piece of work about ninjas and world build is on such weak aspects from almost the beginning. I don't even know if I can blame Kishi 100% because his editors told him to insert a lot of dumbassey since the Chunnin Exam that ended up falling flat on it's ass. Oh well. We tried.

This^.
And Pierrot and Kishimoto milking this cash cow to oblivion with the "next generation bs" (at least magi didn't end this way, thankfully) makes it worse.
Like stop, work on something new, kishimoto.
LeonhartAugustApr 8, 2018 2:27 PM
Mar 23, 2018 12:40 AM

Mar 2018
Probably Fuuka since Seo managed to fuck up two mangas at once with that one. That was impressive tho.
Mar 23, 2018 1:08 AM
Jul 2015
BLEACH.

The last arc featuring the bearded dude sucks a lot ! The Arrancar arc had more cooler enemies that that last shitty Quincy arc.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Mar 23, 2018 1:55 AM

Mar 2018
Prince of tennis, as of lately some of the matches are absolutely ridiculous
Mar 23, 2018 8:08 AM

Aug 2015
-Kanata no Astra
-Ochanigosu
-Tenkuu Shinpan
-Hunter x Hunter has also gotten pretty boring since the end of the chimera ant arc
Apr 2, 2018 2:14 AM

Jun 2014
ReLIFE ended a little to abruptly. The falling action hit resolution so fast.
Horimiya ... god I loved this manga, but recently I feel like it's just been so slow and lost its magic. It used to be a breath of fresh air, now it's just on hiatus for me.
Attack on Titan. I really hope it picks back up. It got really boring after the civil war arc and I couldn't get back into it after.

Apr 2, 2018 8:39 PM

Sep 2017
tripeace could've been the next gurren lagann or kill la kill of some sort but the author had to fucking ruin it by adding that whole crossdressing thing for literally no reason. i get it's supposed to be retarded but that just flat out fucking ruined the entire thing. the protagonist also became pretty unlikable after the first 6 or so chapters by making him nana uzumaki. shame, because it could've really been enjoyable.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Apr 3, 2018 2:15 AM

Feb 2011
Natsuki_Hyundai said:
...but I'm going with Hunter X Hunter as my answer. I loved the whole "mind games" style it had at the beginning, but then it dropped all of that from Greed Island onward and started to become more like a regular Shounen.

What about the current Succession arc? Is it comparable to the early mindgames?

Dlwuik said:
tripeace could've been the next gurren lagann or kill la kill of some sort but the author had to fucking ruin it by adding that whole crossdressing thing for literally no reason. i get it's supposed to be retarded but that just flat out fucking ruined the entire thing.

Tripeace was wacky since the start, I didn't have high expectations so I ended up enjoying it, though the final chapters were a real trainwreck.

zawa113 said:

Maybe you were expecting a 100% fighting non-stop manga. A battle shounen? But Golden Kamui is an Historical, Seinen.

I found the slice of life chapters both interesting/funny, and they also worked to tone down the mood after the brutality of the other action chapters. Having action all the time without breathers becomes grating. Then cooking is also part of the story and character development.

For me one is Soul Eater, the premise was good, but everything past the premise went more and more down. The artstyle was still good, but as it went on, the interesting ideas were lacking more and more. There didn't seem to be a general story tying everything together, just bits tossed together.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 3, 2018 5:53 AM

Mar 2009
Zeando said:
zawa113 said:

Maybe you were expecting a 100% fighting non-stop manga. A battle shounen? But Golden Kamui is an Historical, Seinen.

I found the slice of life chapters both interesting/funny, and they also worked to tone down the mood after the brutality of the other action chapters. Having action all the time without breathers becomes grating. Then cooking is also part of the story and character development.

Oh not at all, I went in with basically zero expectations and went in on reputation alone, honestly. I actually figured out later what I was expecting when I read To Your Eternity (which I read after I read the first two vols of Golden Kamuy, so it's not that I read To Your Eternity first and wanted more like it). If anything, I dislike non-stop action manga, so if I had expected that, I probably never would've tried it in the first place. I guess I was expecting a more serious drama that kept the pace going, but stopping every 5 pages to explain how to catch, skin, and cook a rabbit 5 ways, then doing it again 7 pages later, but with some other woodland critter, it really started to grate on me. I guess the one thing I definitely was not expecting ever was for it to suddenly become a Bear Grylls manga in volume 2 (I think part of me was honestly wondering if they'd go over how to safely drink your own pee)
Apr 3, 2018 3:23 PM
Dec 2014
It's Manhwa not manga, but Tower of God. SIU had a unique setting and magic system, and a great main group of characters. He even managed to have a god-tier protagonist and do it well (which is nearly impossible to do), but he just kept adding character after character by the dozen and only a couple of them were worth caring about. When I realized that the plot had essentially become "Stop Freeza from gathering the Dragon Balls," I dropped it.
Apr 3, 2018 3:42 PM

Apr 2015
Well i might say the easy answer but Naruto is the first thing that came to my mind when i read the title.
Apr 3, 2018 3:53 PM
a car

Jun 2017
Zeando said:
Natsuki_Hyundai said:

What about the current Succession arc? Is it comparable to the early mindgames?

I'm not entirely caught up to the most recent segment, so I can't say.
Apr 8, 2018 10:46 AM

Feb 2017
Pluto, Sanctuary, Monster, Naruto, Yokokuhan, Kuragehime, Mother Sarah, Liar Game, Asatte Dance, Blade of the Immortal, Chobits, Death Note ; though some of them are still enjoyable, I think that these manga could all have been much better than they actually are, and suffered greatly from bad writing choices.
Apr 8, 2018 5:03 PM

Mar 2014
boku wa mari no naka
Apr 8, 2018 9:39 PM

Aug 2015
Natsuki_Hyundai said:
I'm going to get flamed saying this...

Usually people hate that, but for some reason Greed Island and Chimera Ants seem like everyone's favorite arcs. Granted, the climax of Chimera Ants was pretty darn great but that's all I liked in between Yorkshin and the Election Arc.

Greed Island is my least favorite arc.
Honestly Gangsta, I'm so biased towards that setting, characters and everything. I wanted to like it but I couldn't. I just feel like the story could've been great. Wasted potential.

Apr 9, 2018 1:35 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
-Judar- said:
Stripes said:
Naruto. Point blank.

This^.
And Pierrot and Kishimoto milking this cash cow to oblivion with the "next generation bs" (at least magi didn't end this way, thankfully) makes it worse.
Like stop, work on something new, kishimoto.

Well to be a bit fair to Kishi. He's not writing Boruto. He kind of just gave full reign to Shonen Jump and his former staff to do whatever with it. And I can see the appeal of it but at the same time it's just wrote.

I wish no similar fate to any other franchise. It just kills the series entirely.
Apr 9, 2018 10:56 PM

Mar 2017
When i saw the title, Bleach and Tite Kubo immediately springs to my mind. How baffling that he can turn one of the most sought-after manga titles internationally into one that seems so boring that people kept dropping the series left and right, until it finally ends.

Aside from that, i think it's the Dorabase by Shintaro Mugiwara. That manga seems so fun and all, but can't help but notice that the writer makes a wrong step in the WABC arc and while it was able to recover, the damage has been done from that arc in my opinion. Also, he tried to make a sequel of it, but it blows up and was rushed to the finale.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Apr 13, 2018 4:43 PM

Apr 2017
Bleach. I will forever be salty about everything after the battle of kankura town. And the ending. Especially the ending.
Apr 13, 2018 7:44 PM

Sep 2014
Claymore.

The concept was great, but the action was largely lackluster and few characters really stood out to me. It isn't a bad manga, just one that was disappointingly mediocre.

The core of the idea and world was solid, but it was a manga where I felt the writer just couldn't quite translate it from his mind to paper.
Apr 14, 2018 1:15 PM

Aug 2010
Fairy Tail is an easy target - but also a true one.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Any manga out that opposite to world end harem?

Darkrazor22 - May 10

3 by Darkrazor22 »»
2 hours ago

» Why do you think MAL users don't read manga?

Nyron - Feb 7

33 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
4 hours ago

» How do you read your Manwha/Manhua ?

TheDefCrypt - May 8

7 by ST63LTH »»
6 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

160 by nerfsunny »»
Yesterday, 12:08 PM

» Western Studio Adaptation of Berserk (Thoughts?)

FlydayEthan - May 2

4 by Old_School_Akira »»
May 12, 3:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.