Forum Settings
Forums

Technical Quality vs. Enjoyment: A Strange Discrepancy - Feedback and Comments

New
Mar 1, 2018 4:36 PM

Apr 2017
Read the article here, written by @Coddlington.

Please leave any comments or feedback on the article here!

Rules:

• Be civil and polite at all times.
  • If you have criticisms, ensure that they are constructive and not personally attacking the writer.
  • If your feedback is about MAL Articles in general, please leave the suggestion here.
  • We encourage you to join our Discord server here!
The official publishing account of the MAL Articles club.
Interested in writing or editing for us? Click here!

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 5, 2018 7:09 AM

Dec 2015
Just joined to leave a comment,

Reading this is like getting my thoughts into words!, this is exactly a debate I had with myself yes myself, I'm that lonely irl, also it's one of the reasons why I decided not to rate, I have actually not seen any of the animes mentioned in the article but the idea is same,

You have done a great job writing this article, keep up the good work :)

I don't know if I should put the picture in spoiler, anyway !
Mar 5, 2018 11:28 PM
Aug 2015
SukiiFu said:
Just joined to leave a comment,

Reading this is like getting my thoughts into words!, this is exactly a debate I had with myself yes myself, I'm that lonely irl, also it's one of the reasons why I decided not to rate, I have actually not seen any of the animes mentioned in the article but the idea is same,

You have done a great job writing this article, keep up the good work :)

I don't know if I should put the picture in spoiler, anyway !

Hey, thanks! I really appreciate the kind words. That's always been the toughest thing about rating a show, comparing those 2 things, so I can totally understand not rating shows. Thanks again :)
Mar 6, 2018 4:58 PM

Mar 2014
I agree that there can't be a "perfect anime", but I'm not sure I agree with the idea of "technical perfection" to begin with.

As somebody who prefers the overall aesthetic of CEL animation over digital animation, I find it hard to say what can be considered "technically perfect". Do you just mean a show that doesn't have any technical errors in the animation?

If so, I don't think that's a very good metric for what constitutes a good looking show to begin with, without even taking the story, characters, or directing into account. A lack of errors doesn't factor in the art style, the color palette, or the overall feeling such errors might bring.
Most of these things are subjective, and as such I don't think one can really define a "technically perfect" anime in terms of visuals, because everyone will still have a differing opinion.
For example, when it comes to the show you listed in your article, Kuzu no Honkai, I've never watched it, but I dislike the character design, and the overall art style. You may call it "technically perfect", but when one can make such complaints about it's technical features... can any anime truly attain such a thing as "technical perfection"?

It's just like lossless audio vs. vinyl records. Some will like the warm feeling they get when they hear the low whir of the turntable, the popping and crackling of the needle. Others will want absolute clarity.

Or what about framerates? Some movies have started being shot in 48fps. More frames would be technically more quality in terms of the motion, right? Yet, many say it looks odd compared to the old standard of 24fps.

Essentially, if you ask me, there's no pleasing everybody and therefore no way to achieve perfection. Technical or otherwise.
vigorousjammerMar 6, 2018 5:03 PM
::End of Transmission::

Mar 6, 2018 5:07 PM

Jan 2009
its missing the definition of technical quality

if by technical quality he means great and consistent production quality then sure anime movies usually have that
Mar 7, 2018 10:45 PM
Aug 2015
vigorousjammer said:
I agree that there can't be a "perfect anime", but I'm not sure I agree with the idea of "technical perfection" to begin with.

As somebody who prefers the overall aesthetic of CEL animation over digital animation, I find it hard to say what can be considered "technically perfect". Do you just mean a show that doesn't have any technical errors in the animation?

If so, I don't think that's a very good metric for what constitutes a good looking show to begin with, without even taking the story, characters, or directing into account. A lack of errors doesn't factor in the art style, the color palette, or the overall feeling such errors might bring.
Most of these things are subjective, and as such I don't think one can really define a "technically perfect" anime in terms of visuals, because everyone will still have a differing opinion.
For example, when it comes to the show you listed in your article, Kuzu no Honkai, I've never watched it, but I dislike the character design, and the overall art style. You may call it "technically perfect", but when one can make such complaints about it's technical features... can any anime truly attain such a thing as "technical perfection"?

It's just like lossless audio vs. vinyl records. Some will like the warm feeling they get when they hear the low whir of the turntable, the popping and crackling of the needle. Others will want absolute clarity.

Or what about framerates? Some movies have started being shot in 48fps. More frames would be technically more quality in terms of the motion, right? Yet, many say it looks odd compared to the old standard of 24fps.

Essentially, if you ask me, there's no pleasing everybody and therefore no way to achieve perfection. Technical or otherwise.

Although I wasn't even considering visuals when writing this, I agree. It's hard to remember my exact stance at the time of writing this, seeing as it was around 9 months ago, but that's the general point I was trying to get at. In any anime, there needs to be a good balance of objective quality and things that subjectively hit our buttons as consumers. You brought up a great example with records, lofi hiphop is so popular for a reason. There definitely isn't pleasing everybody with this sort of thing. Producers just have to do their best to find a happy medium that resonates with as many people as possible. Again, forgive any inconsistencies because of the time gap, but I definitely agree with what you're saying.
Mar 18, 2018 11:50 PM
Dec 2012
Another important topic to cover is the anime reviews left on this website. As much as there are people who don't even look at reviews - there are people who do. I speak for those who are misled by these reviews.

I would even go as far as to say don't read any reviews on the show you're about to watch. It can ruin your expectation for a show, leading you to miss out on a unique watching only you can experience. Random strangers on the internet should not dictate whether or not you should have high or low expectations of a show. That should be for you to decide.

I understand that some people don't have all day to watch anime. It would be a valid reason to rely on reviews. In that case, take it with a grain of salt. A lot of reviews rely on logic. But logic is only really useful in the court of law and business. It doesn't do anything for your subjective view on things.

That's all I wanted to say.
Mar 19, 2018 8:44 AM

Nov 2017
First, i want to appreciate the writer of this article. This theme stuck in my mind for a very long time.

From what i see, this article speaks about the derivation of "quality vs popularity", or in this case "quality vs interest". And from what i understand, the writer believes about the existence of quality in anime, despite the definition is still ambiguous. For this point, i really want to appreciate the writer again - i mean, there's someone who speak about this.

Most of my friends say "as long as i enjoy the anime, i dont give a *censored*". This statement is true, even to me, but i don't want to accept it face value. I personally think that someone who truly loves anime will go beyond "just enjoying", but instead they'll go toward "appreciating" - that is, "recognizing its true worth".

Now, from this point, the topic will move to subjectivism vs objectivism - an eternal debate that splits the earth into two poles. Personally, i believe that both views hold true in the anime appreciation world. For any art, even for cooking, both subjectivism and objectivism are there.

The "technical quality" that the article speaks of, might be a form of a quality that can be valued objectively. Simple case, movement in the anime that staggers, like what we can see quite a lot in gundam build fighters try, can be valued lower -as for a movement in the anime that flows very fluidly, like the movement of gundam unicorn, can be valued higher. I think most people will speak the same thing for that case.
On the other hand, enjoyment and interest are very subjective. Both differ greatly for each individual. My brother enjoys drama genre, but i dont - usually it's too disheartening for me.
With a glance, we can prove the existence of both views, but if we go deeper, we'll come to the very grey area. For example, the definition of technical quality might differ form person to person. Nevertheless, both views exist and personally i think we must appreciate those views respectively, as well as "technical quality" and "enjoyment" without disregarding one or another. Especially for a reason such as "i dont like it".
May 11, 2022 4:12 PM
Jul 2018
I Dont have a problem with you "enjoying" anime, but i have one when you make a review based 100% on your subjective opinion about a show.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Black, White, and Gray: What Makes an Antihero Work - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Aug 23, 2018

4 by utopica »»
Sep 1, 2021 5:23 PM

» Can an OP Character Be a Good Main Character? - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Apr 13, 2018

11 by WaifuMaster17 »»
Mar 8, 2020 12:19 PM

» Why Incest Appears So Often In Anime - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Jan 21, 2018

10 by AnchientProphet2 »»
Apr 3, 2019 8:26 AM

» Cowboy Bebop: Meaning Behind the Madness - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - May 14, 2018

2 by TomDay »»
Sep 14, 2018 6:25 PM

» Symphony of Emotions: How Music Defines an Anime - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Apr 7, 2018

12 by phxntomhiveghoul »»
Aug 19, 2018 10:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.