Forum Settings
Forums

Symphony of Emotions: How Music Defines an Anime - Feedback and Comments

New
Apr 7, 2018 2:14 AM

Apr 2017
Read the article here, written by @Izuka-kun.

Please leave any comments or feedback on the article here!

Rules:

• Be civil and polite at all times.
  • If you have criticisms, ensure that they are constructive and not personally attacking the writer.
  • If your feedback is about MAL Articles in general, please leave the suggestion here.
  • We encourage you to join our Discord server here!
The official publishing account of the MAL Articles club.
Interested in writing or editing for us? Click here!

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 7, 2018 11:31 AM

Nov 2017
Very nice article. I really agree with whats written in this article. Although i have to note that i really dont understand about music overall, i feel that it can truly affect the way we watch an anime.

Some of my personal favorite cases : Made in Abyss eps 1, when "tomorrow" being sang, then the characters seeing a breath-taking panorama. The music really amplifies the emotion, feeling....can't describe what i felt back then.
In recent case, i think it's "urar", the opening song of Hakumei to Mikochi as well as "Harvest Moon Night", it's ending song. For me, personally, that opening has this mythical yet natural nuance and the ending is light and cheerful. These songs really fit the anime and i feel both amplify the nuance of iyashikei pretty well.
Apr 7, 2018 6:58 PM

Jan 2014
I'm amazed Boku no Hero Academia's "You Say Run" wasn't used as an example here, or TTGL's "Sorairo Days." I consider these as two of the best "fight" songs in anime because of how much they inspire you to move into action.

Apr 7, 2018 10:49 PM

Nov 2017
I'm surprised End of Evangelion wasn't mentioned, it had some of the most unique music I've ever heard.
Apr 8, 2018 6:55 AM

Feb 2016
Great article. Made me go through those songs while reading.

MODERS – JUMP ON THE BOTTLE!!!

Apr 13, 2018 12:48 AM

Feb 2013
A nice opinion piece. Good selection of examples (I know it's not easy to choose as there are so many)!

Just wondering, you say "RADWIMPS ... had to make the entire score under a very strict deadline and small budget. This led to the members recording the music using their own instruments at their own homes, not in a studio".

Could you please provide a source for this information? Thank you.
Apr 13, 2018 2:34 AM

Feb 2017
tdm said:
A nice opinion piece. Good selection of examples (I know it's not easy to choose as there are so many)!

Just wondering, you say "RADWIMPS ... had to make the entire score under a very strict deadline and small budget. This led to the members recording the music using their own instruments at their own homes, not in a studio".

Could you please provide a source for this information? Thank you.

Hi! I'm sorry but I deleted all my source links and can't seem to find it, but i know it was a segment of an interview in Japanese. I have a copy of the translation and analysis on the interview:

Compared to writing a stand-alone album, it seems that scoring Your Name was different for the band, as Yojiro explains, “It was totally different. In making my own album you have to express everything all by yourself, only the music. But for the movie, it’s more comprehensive. The music has its own role in each scene. For some scenes, music doesn’t have to stand out and just be in the background. Letting the animation do the telling. And for some parts, the music leads the whole story.”

For Akira, it seemed that timing was more of an issue.

Yusuke then talked a bit more about the process, “Besides the vocal tracks, we divided parts and assigned each member to be responsible to complete the part. So the process was mainly individually and separately done at our homes. We never do that for our original albums.”

My thoughts:

In the interview it was implied that the reason recording was done at their homes is due to time, but in a separate interview with Shinkai, he said a low budget was given to RADWIMPS, hence budget is assumed to also be a factor.

Izuka-kunApr 16, 2018 11:10 PM
Apr 13, 2018 2:42 AM

Feb 2017
@tdm also, the translator and analyzer of the interview was the interviewer himself, Mr Ollie Brader whom you can find on his Twitter.
Apr 13, 2018 4:02 PM

Feb 2013
Izuka-kun said:
@tdm also, the translator and analyzer of the interview was the interviewer himself, Mr Ollie Brader whom you can find on his Twitter.

Thanks for all the information, Izuka-kun.

It's a pity there doesn't appear to be an active anime music club anymore. I'd start one, but it wouldn't be much fun with just two members. ;)
Apr 13, 2018 9:36 PM

Feb 2017
tdm said:
Izuka-kun said:

Thanks for all the information, Izuka-kun.

It's a pity there doesn't appear to be an active anime music club anymore. I'd start one, but it wouldn't be much fun with just two members. ;)

OMG THAT WOULD BE SO FUN! Yeah, hard to get members... but if you ever decide to make a club, invite me :)))
Apr 16, 2018 10:56 PM

Feb 2013
Izuka-kun said:

In the interview it was implied that the reason recording was done at their homes is due to time, but in a separate interview with Miyazaki, he said a low budget was given to RADWIMPS, hence budget is assumed to also be a factor.

Hello again. Just a couple more questions while I think of them:

You mention there was a separate interview with Miyazaki. Do you mean instead the director of Your Name, Makoto Shinkai? AFAIK, Miyazaki wasn't involved with the making of Your Name.

Also, and this is a bit weird, but I think I've found two separate interviews with RADWIMPS, by two different authors, but with the same conversations. Check out:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/04/18/radwimps-on-how-they-scored-the_music-for-the-anime-blockbuster-your-name/#3359b494592c

http://popcrush.com/radwimps-j-rock-your-name-human-bloom-interview/

When both articles start talking about "It was totally different..." then the next few paragraphs are essentially the same, even though both authors claim to have interviewed RADWIMPS themselves.

Like I said, a bit weird. I wonder what's going on...
Apr 16, 2018 11:08 PM

Feb 2017
tdm said:
Izuka-kun said:

In the interview it was implied that the reason recording was done at their homes is due to time, but in a separate interview with Miyazaki, he said a low budget was given to RADWIMPS, hence budget is assumed to also be a factor.

Hello again. Just a couple more questions while I think of them:

You mention there was a separate interview with Miyazaki. Do you mean instead the director of Your Name, Makoto Shinkai? AFAIK, Miyazaki wasn't involved with the making of Your Name.

Also, and this is a bit weird, but I think I've found two separate interviews with RADWIMPS, by two different authors, but with the same conversations. Check out:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/04/18/radwimps-on-how-they-scored-the_music-for-the-anime-blockbuster-your-name/#3359b494592c

http://popcrush.com/radwimps-j-rock-your-name-human-bloom-interview/

When both articles start talking about "It was totally different..." then the next few paragraphs are essentially the same, even though both authors claim to have interviewed RADWIMPS themselves.

Like I said, a bit weird. I wonder what's going on...

OMG yes I guess that's what happens when you answer questions at 2 am. I meant Shinkai, not Miyazaki. The interview was more on his reaction to people calling him the "next Miyazaki". He wasn't happy with the nickname, and said he didn't even like the movie. His biggest problem was the budget he said. He briefly mentions about how even the soundtrack is underbudgeted.

I think about the copies of the interviews, it might have been plagiarism, but tbh I'm not in the position to verify that claim.
Aug 19, 2018 10:03 PM

Apr 2017
Very good article with very good points. Tokyo Ghoul, attack on titan, and your name are perfect examples of music capturing emotion and sometimes gets the viewer hyped.

Honestly I’m very surprised that fma/fmab and zankyou no terror aren’t on here- I’ve often found myself moved by these series just thinking about how unbelievably beautiful the respective soundtracks are.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Technical Quality vs. Enjoyment: A Strange Discrepancy - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Mar 1, 2018

8 by removed-user »»
May 11, 2022 4:12 PM

» Black, White, and Gray: What Makes an Antihero Work - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Aug 23, 2018

4 by utopica »»
Sep 1, 2021 5:23 PM

» Can an OP Character Be a Good Main Character? - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Apr 13, 2018

11 by WaifuMaster17 »»
Mar 8, 2020 12:19 PM

» Why Incest Appears So Often In Anime - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Jan 21, 2018

10 by AnchientProphet2 »»
Apr 3, 2019 8:26 AM

» Cowboy Bebop: Meaning Behind the Madness - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - May 14, 2018

2 by TomDay »»
Sep 14, 2018 6:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.