Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 13, 2018 6:59 AM

Oct 2008
Looks mediocre but i'll give it a try!
But I'm up for Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas!
3/5.

Jan 13, 2018 7:23 AM
Apr 2014
It this a reboot of the anime or sequel to soul hunter
Jan 13, 2018 8:57 AM
Sep 2015
wierd anime. I've watched entire first arc in just 20 minutes and I have no idea what think about it.
Jan 13, 2018 9:18 AM

Jun 2016
Is it just me who's so bothered by their "old school anime eyes" of the characters? Idk it's just feels so weird seeing anime character with that type of eyes in 2018. Lmao.

3/5. I accidentally voted for 4/5, but yeah it should be 3/5.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 13, 2018 11:38 AM

Jun 2013
the fuck just happened?!
one word RUSHED
Jan 13, 2018 12:42 PM

Feb 2013
I managed 6 minutes before dropping.
Far too childish for me.
Jan 13, 2018 12:59 PM
Jan 2017
so boring chinese plot
Jan 13, 2018 1:01 PM
Jan 2017
i dont like chinese anime but i liked reikenzan it was much better than this shit
Jan 13, 2018 1:37 PM

May 2012
dark_reunion said:
i dont like chinese anime but i liked reikenzan it was much better than this shit

This is much better than reikenzan

reikenzan is shit, has no or little action, and boring plot.
Jan 13, 2018 3:12 PM
Jan 2017
thepath said:
dark_reunion said:

This is much better than reikenzan

reikenzan is shit, has no or little action, and boring plot.

well score makes it easier to understand which one is better you better check it
Jan 14, 2018 12:12 AM
Feb 2012
sometimes it's better if older series are left alone
this is a case where if you are interested in any of this then go to the manga instead
Jan 14, 2018 12:16 AM
Jul 2015
Rushed, but I liked animation and characters. Sibuxiang reminds moomin.
Jan 14, 2018 2:59 AM
Dec 2014
modboy said:
Soul Hunter was a great series so I have high hopes for this. I agree, so far it's really way too rushed. I do seem to remember it taking awhile for me to get into the original too.
That's because Taikobo was following the list of Hoshin project pretty much sealing the evil sprites away the manga and original anime were bad guy of the week type of story but the guys doing this new anime just decided to skip 3 arcs happen before this one I don't know why they did it but its already killing the new anime.
Jan 14, 2018 3:11 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Hilarious when said, "i don´t like your clothe"!! xED
Jan 14, 2018 4:25 AM

Jun 2012
I think the pace is almost the same as in the manga... Not that I liked it, since I dropped it for whatever reason.
Jan 14, 2018 6:21 AM
Mar 2015
dark_reunion said:

This is not chinese anime like reikenzan,only adapting/contains elements of chinese folklore like Dragonball.
Its an adaptation of popular Shonen Jump manga from 90's
BurntJelly said:
I managed 6 minutes before dropping.
Far too childish for me.

Later half of the episode were quite bloody & gore with many peoples killed by snakes.
edge13Jan 14, 2018 6:26 AM
Jan 14, 2018 1:20 PM

Aug 2012
solazora said:
Shino said:

I highly doubt so, since seeing their previous trailers it seems that they are probably going to end it with the Sennin WW arc... (Especially with all those scenes where Fugen is in it, urgh. ;;)
I might be wrong, though. :/

Well Chou Komei's arc came just before the Sennin War arc, but given the episode count, they may or may not exclude it.

dany_elle1908 said:
is necessary to see the other version as well...?
just notice is an alternative version also o.0

Not really, the other is just the first adaption that was done in 1999 before the manga finished. It's a separate work from this adaption all together.

Does the first adaption move away from the manga? I have seen the first 6 episodes from the other one and although some plot points are different it seems much better than this one. The animation is way better, the way they develop the story and the dub.
Jan 14, 2018 2:45 PM

Aug 2014
nightcrawlercyp said:
solazora said:

Well Chou Komei's arc came just before the Sennin War arc, but given the episode count, they may or may not exclude it.

Not really, the other is just the first adaption that was done in 1999 before the manga finished. It's a separate work from this adaption all together.

Does the first adaption move away from the manga? I have seen the first 6 episodes from the other one and although some plot points are different it seems much better than this one. The animation is way better, the way they develop the story and the dub.

The first adaptation basically adapts the first 6 volumes or so, then takes the gecko ending route and moves away from the manga. this manga had 23 volumes.
23 volumes for 23 episodes seems crazy
Jan 14, 2018 5:30 PM

Feb 2011
nightcrawlercyp said:
solazora said:

It does start off remotely similar, but adapts the first few volumes pretty loosely. It really goes off track after the Shisei appear and ultimately ends with an original ending as well as changing some plot points. The first adaption is enjoyable and quite a good watch, even if it isn't a very faithful adaption.

It will be interesting to see how they adapt this one. The first episode here adapted the entire first volume in a single episode, hence the fast pace, even though they left out some of the major character establishing scenes that resulted in the Taibon leaving less impact it had in the manga. It's planned to have 23 episodes and is to adapt up to the Sennin War arc, which by the way, is one of the biggest arcs in the series. There are many arcs in between that and the Sennin War arc, some of which could be adapted into a single episode (like Nataku's, Youzen's, and if he appears, Raishinshi), but some semi-larger arcs like the Shisei and Maka Yonshou and larger ones like Chou Komei's will be interesting to see, if they do them that is. I can only imagine that from here they are really going to cram it all in and leave some things out. But, we shall see with future episodes at how this adaption will pan out.
Jan 14, 2018 7:42 PM
May 2009
I love Houshin Engi manga but I will never understand this project is green-lit. It doesn't serve any purpose.

I don't expect anything but the first ep is pretty terrible. They rushed so much and made Taikoubou look like a fool.

If they want to skip the initial arcs, they should make this ep like a recap.
Jan 15, 2018 12:49 AM

Aug 2012
solazora said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

It does start off remotely similar, but adapts the first few volumes pretty loosely. It really goes off track after the Shisei appear and ultimately ends with an original ending as well as changing some plot points. The first adaption is enjoyable and quite a good watch, even if it isn't a very faithful adaption.

It will be interesting to see how they adapt this one. The first episode here adapted the entire first volume in a single episode, hence the fast pace, even though they left out some of the major character establishing scenes that resulted in the Taibon leaving less impact it had in the manga. It's planned to have 23 episodes and is to adapt up to the Sennin War arc, which by the way, is one of the biggest arcs in the series. There are many arcs in between that and the Sennin War arc, some of which could be adapted into a single episode (like Nataku's, Youzen's, and if he appears, Raishinshi), but some semi-larger arcs like the Shisei and Maka Yonshou and larger ones like Chou Komei's will be interesting to see, if they do them that is. I can only imagine that from here they are really going to cram it all in and leave some things out. But, we shall see with future episodes at how this adaption will pan out.
Yeah it appeared to me as well they cram too much into episodes. But what is interesting is that art is also worse. And is a shame to see a recent cartoon looking worse than one from almost 20 years ago. I would have rather just improved the resolution of the old one and make a sequel from the point the original diverges from the manga
Jan 15, 2018 3:45 AM

Dec 2008
The manga deserved a better adaptation than this rushed mess but to my utter astonishment, I actually enjoyed watching it... especially the last scene in the rain, Fugen flashback included. I was less bothered by the seiyuu change than I thought I'd be; I really like the new Taikoubou and Sakurai Takahiro as Suupuushan is perhaps something I never knew I needed. Ishida Akira as Shinkouhyou is just irreplaceable though.
Btw, the opening is absolute garbage. I haven't hated a song so much since SERVAMP's opening. Bring back Yonekura Chihiro...
Jan 16, 2018 5:17 AM
Mar 2012
Wow dat pacing, so many unexplained terms.
Chinese backgrounds look great & world building of 3 realms. But character designs are god awful, what's with giant hands/gloves everywhere?
What so mc an assassin with a hitlist but is a pacifist. Whole part runs like a comedy then suddenly his people all die from his comedic stupidity, ok.
Moomin messed up.
Somehow feels like some Chinese reverse harem, but with mc outside it.
Jan 18, 2018 4:15 AM

Jan 2011
What an abominable of a first episode. Rushed to hell with a heaping of terms that mean jackshit since none of them got explained.
Jan 18, 2018 10:55 PM

Jan 2011
For a supposedly 23 episode series, the 1st episode
was horrid. Seeing as how rushed it was, I feel as if
the rest will also be of the same quality.
Jan 19, 2018 2:47 AM

Nov 2017
I mean... It was really rushed. Seems like an interesting premise but still, way too rushed. Should I watch the original or read the manga?

Will continue watching this but it sure feels like I need to catch up on some backstory to fully appreciate this series.
Jan 19, 2018 10:51 PM

Mar 2012
I recommend going to the manga if you're at all interested. Great cast, well-developed plot, and exciting battle scenes.

This isn't a bad adaptation in the sense that it actually tries to follow the source material where it can, but there's so much cut out of the anime that it feels incredibly rushed. The presentation also falls far behind manga. MC is also made to look stupid as fuck since there's absolutely no setup. They're screwing up a real classic here. It's a shame.
zannettJan 19, 2018 11:04 PM
Jan 20, 2018 9:06 PM

Mar 2009
I didn't understand shit.
Jan 24, 2018 7:42 PM

Nov 2009
I guess this is okay but man everything is rushing along 300mph lol
Feb 11, 2018 12:48 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
I would imagine people who are not familiar with the material would find this rushed. This is essentially a recap episode of the first volume. I presume they really want to adapt the latter part and decided to cram everything they could to get past the first half. Not a wise decision in my opinion but if they only had some many episodes... It's a shame really...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 28, 2018 2:19 AM

Aug 2013
This felt more like a recap episode.
Apr 6, 2019 6:29 AM

Apr 2009
having just finished the old series;
i wasn't too big of a fan of most of the characters re-design; especially not their personalities and/or general thinking capacities. a few of them feel almost ridiculous as they've completely lost their cool and/or plotting powers

i have not read the manga, but thus far i prefer the old series;
in this current one though, my gosh. that gore.
such cruelty.
they start early with that junk _XD

so i'm hoping it'll get better over time,
the main reason i didn't dislike the MC in the old anime was because he was smart and figured things out quick and easily, knowing what to do in any situation and so on,
to have the series start with him pulling off something silly which ended with a bunch of people dying because of him= not a fan.

I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
Apr 6, 2019 9:44 AM

Apr 2009
Rei366 said:
@Konani The manga was published in the early 2000s, when bloody fights were still allowed without a problem in the Shônen JUMP (a magazine for young boys and teenagers).

i meant something among the lines of;

i don't know which one of the two anime follow the manga more closely,
but i prefer the character personalities from the old anime, and mostly the character designs as well
Apr 6, 2019 9:51 AM

Dec 2015
@Konani
Oh, I thought that you were surprised by the "brutality level".
From the two episodes of this series I checked, and based on my memories of the first adaptation

(the first TV show doesn't follow the manga beyond the first events and even the beginning is only broadly adapted, this one is like a "minced meat" version of the manga)

I also have a problem with the look of this 2010s version. (but I have no idea abot the first TV designs, the show looked simply ugly to me, so I didn't pay attention to the desgns themselves)

Konani said:

the characters felt more interesting and original while the ones in the 2018 adaption feels... bland,

the pacing so rushed, so rushed...
this current adaption feels like they're just shoving everything in your face at once, not caring if you can follow what's going on or not -w-'

Ahah, yes, the tempo/pacing is terrible in this version. And that's also why the characters seem bland, they have no time to express their quirks or any hint of a personality.
The manga was very good at managing an enormous cast, each with its own unique design (thanks to the mangaka's love of absurd clothes, anachronism and Scifi) and its own exagerated (or not) traits of characters. The 23 volumes
While I still prefer the manga, I was happy that the first series was able to get its own conclusion (that kind of stayed in tone / logical with the beginning).

Anyway, if you really want to relive Hôshin, better rewatch it or expand your horizon with the manga (although the last tome might not be to your liking in the way the author interpreted a certain element of the original chinese tale).
Rei_IIIApr 6, 2019 10:24 AM
Apr 6, 2019 10:18 AM

Apr 2009
@rei366
-i didn't give the old one much credit in the beginning since it seemed like typical 90s shonen with little in terms of plot and whatnot,
but it surprised me and and was very good the latter half of the series,

the characters felt more interesting and original while the ones in the 2018 adaption feels... bland, and like everything i've seen before, nothing new and nothing unique

and; the pacing.
i thought it would get better after a few episodes,
but here i am at episode 6 already and nothing's gotten better, so rushed, so rushed...

the old anime was good in terms of pacing, especially the latter parts; it introduced the characters and gave them motivations for the things they do,
this current adaption feels like they're just shoving everything in your face at once, not caring if you can follow what's going on or not -w-'
Apr 6, 2019 3:08 PM

Apr 2009
Rei366 said:

Anyway, if you really want to relive Hôshin, better rewatch it or expand your horizon with the manga (although the last tome might not be to your liking in the way the author interpreted a certain element of the original chinese tale).

i'm not likely to read the manga, and i started to watch this 2018 version as soon as i finished the 99 one, i also didn't know for sure it was based on some chinese tale, but i don't think too deeply about origins of anime or manga and their main inspirations -w-
-as in being based on pre-existing stories,

but the pacing feels like it slowed down around episode 7-8 somewhere, i can even mostly follow the events in the episodes i'm at now >_>'
Nov 5, 2020 4:44 AM
Jul 2018
It hurts how rushed it felt. It's a pity, because it seems like it could be a nice and fun fantasy.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

3 by Chaos-Zero »»
Jan 11, 10:47 PM

» How is this different from the 1999 series? Is it a remake?

Zen98 - Dec 19, 2022

0 by Zen98 »»
Dec 19, 2022 8:02 PM

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - May 18, 2018

8 by Konani »»
Apr 7, 2019 3:41 AM

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2018

14 by Konani »»
Apr 6, 2019 9:51 AM

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2018

21 by Konani »»
Apr 6, 2019 8:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.