Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 28, 2017 10:34 PM
Apr 2015
Grani-smith said:

And for a girl who was going to end her life then sold herself and still has some dark thoughts i don't get why she is suddenly concerned about death.

Same. Kinda takes away from the episode :/
Oct 29, 2017 12:19 AM

May 2015
Manjuudesu said:
Grani-smith said:

And for a girl who was going to end her life then sold herself and still has some dark thoughts i don't get why she is suddenly concerned about death.

After last weeks episode, it's pretty clear that she values life a little more than before. Plus, even when people have suicidal thoughts, when they're actually at death's doorstep, they usually get scared.

Oct 29, 2017 12:26 AM

Feb 2014
I bet that village was probably inspired by one of those Japanese islands full of cats.

Chise gets snatched by a rival sorcerer/mage. Again. Twice. And in the episode right after Elias was told not to take his eyes off of her.
Oct 29, 2017 1:35 AM

Jun 2016
This episode reminded me so much of Studio Ghibli's Neko no Ongaeshi (The Cat Returns). :D That King of the Cats being Baron. Hehe.

Glad Chise is A-OK after fainting in that dragon whatchamacallit.

Elias hates kids. I feel you, Elias. Hahaha.

Already had an inkling (I mean it's evident from the get-go) that that black thingamajig is the husband of that blonde lady. He thought killing cats will give his wife nine lives, hence she'll have a longer life, but he was wrong. Now it wants to kill not just cats, but humans, too, and that's what the King and Elias want to prevent. Mina (the blonde lady) asked Chise to kill her and her husband (who became an abomination) for their own sake. Damn.

Maaan, no wonder the cats hate sorcerers because they are assholes. Haha. I wonder what does he mean with the Sleigh Beggy's fate which is death. So, Sleigh Beggies only have short lives? Waah. So glad this part with the Cats will be two episodes.

But I want to know more about Chise and I bet Elias knows a lot about the fate of Chise, he just don't want Chise to know for now because it'll be a very bitter truth. Jesus. So, I completely understand if he had to lie; I mean it's a white lie, maan. Shut up, sorcerers! Haha.

Another great episode. 5/5. <3

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 29, 2017 1:37 AM

Feb 2014
Silent_Four-Eyes said:
Man, this episode was hard to watch... I don't like cats dying :'(

Same here. As a cat lover myself, I was horrified to see how this maniac used to butchers the cats in the past. D=

On the plus side, Molly and the other cats looked fantastic design-wise. I liked their interactions with Chise and Elias throughout the episode a lot. =)

However, the cliffhanger at the end was powerful. Being called a "test subject" is one thing, but also saying that she doesn't have long to live must be disheartening for Chise to hear. It makes me wonder just how many secrets that Elias is keeping from Chise...

Overall, this was a great episode and I can't wait for the next one to come around to continue this interesting arc. =)
Oct 29, 2017 3:44 AM
Apr 2016
I get familiar feelings from it, the same I experience while watching Wolf and Spice I guess? It indeed has everything to become a masterpiece modern fantasy.
Re:formed
Oct 29, 2017 3:48 AM
Jul 2018
Meta_Yoshi said:
Silent_Four-Eyes said:
Man, this episode was hard to watch... I don't like cats dying :'(

Same here. As a cat lover myself, I was horrified to see how this maniac used to butchers the cats in the past. D=
I feel you, guys. It was disturbing to watch. Cats are cute, small, soft creatures that any kind of merciless violence towards them triggers me off; they don't deserve to be treated that way.
Oct 29, 2017 4:13 AM

Jul 2017
Another great episode! This reminded me of The Cat Returns!

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Oct 29, 2017 6:14 AM

Oct 2013
This episode is great. If this seems familiar to you, perhaps it's because you once read "The Cats of Ulthar" by H.P. Lovecraft and/or "Ancient Sorceries" by Algernon Blackwood. Both stories deal with feline magic. The cat kingdom in this ep is called Ulthar, and the cats perched on the old stone wall are referenced in Blackwood's story.
Oct 29, 2017 7:13 AM

Jun 2017
Another entertaining and great episode as expected!
Oct 29, 2017 7:30 AM

May 2012
Meh. It was an ok episode. I don't know how this rated 8.6, feels more like average anime

I hope it get better. Because of this show Attack on titan 3 is now delayed to July 2018 according to latest news.
Oct 29, 2017 8:02 AM
Nov 2016
Wow, this show sure knows how to keep people hooked to it. This is the second cliffhanger this show has ended and episode at.

Up until now, I didn't really feel like there was a plot hook in the anime, like I couldn't find a very interesting larger-plot, the plot which tied it all together, instead it was a collection of stories without too much religion between them, which still made for a great anime but I feel like the appearance of Renfred IS that plot hook, we'll finally get a bad guy, maybe. The episode was awesome, I really want to know more about this world and I think the anime is doing a great job of getting people hooked.
Oct 29, 2017 8:08 AM

Jun 2013
that's alot of cats but i love it
Oct 29, 2017 8:17 AM
Aug 2017
Manjuudesu said:
Grani-smith said:

I took it as surprise more than fear (with complementary dramatic pause).
Oct 29, 2017 10:00 AM

Jul 2009
I want Molly to be my mom too T-T
Oct 29, 2017 10:10 AM
Oct 2017
I HOPE MOLLY DOESN'T HAVE TO DIE TO PROTECT SOMETHING IN THE NEXT EPISODE OMG
I can't picture any way this could go smoothly, the sorcerers are up to something

Also yeah Chise sold herself as a magic trinket so why wouldn't her 'owner' try stuff out I don't get the shock here
Oct 29, 2017 11:06 AM
Mar 2016
since when did she have a will to live
Oct 29, 2017 11:54 AM

Nov 2011
Great episode! I really enjoyed the narration, very interesting and rich in mystery.
Oct 29, 2017 1:30 PM

Jul 2012
Neko no Ongaeshi vibes! A village full of talking cats, my dream home! *-*
This episode is amazing. That change in atmosphere in the last moments, the plot thickens, some secrets are spilling out and things are getting more complicated. I loved it!
Well, Chise being surprised to hear that she was going to die soon is not that weird, especially since humans feelings towards "death" are kinda contraditory...even for suicidals. Let's remember if she still didn't care for her life at all she would just kill herself, not even sell herself or anything, she would just end it. She, obviously, still has some hope of being useful for someone, as that is pretty much what she wants (notice how she is thinking "is he gonna stop believing in me if I fail" and being useful is also how the black market guy made her sell herself).
Nice to see the Ariel too.~~~

Oct 29, 2017 2:23 PM

Dec 2016
thepath said:
Meh. It was an ok episode. I don't know how this rated 8.6, feels more like average anime

I hope it get better. Because of this show Attack on titan 3 is now delayed to July 2018 according to latest news.

Attack on Titan S3 was going to be released either way. A few months' delay is really not that big of a deal (patience much?), and Mahoutsukai no Yome is running for 24 episodes anyway. Also where did they even say it was delayed because of Mahoutsukai no Yome?

As far as I'm concerned, this show (and manga) is much more well-written and engaging than Attack on Titan. Just because there isn't any explicit action or squabbles between characters and is still primarily in the world-building stage doesn't mean it's not interesting or average.
Oct 29, 2017 3:04 PM
Mar 2015
thepath said:

That nonsense,where did it says AoT 3 date being pushed back?even if it is,are you gonna blame every anime WIT produced thats not AoT?
Both anime dont even have the same staff.
Oct 29, 2017 3:15 PM

Oct 2014
poor Girl gets no rest
Oct 29, 2017 4:55 PM
Jul 2018
I want to live in the Kingdom of Cats! *w*

I am afraid of seeing more cat deaths next episode...
Oct 29, 2017 5:29 PM

Aug 2012
Elias needs to protect Chise better or atleast teach her magic to defend herself...
Oct 29, 2017 7:22 PM
Mar 2016
Why does it feel its going to be a defeat means friendship scenario with those new characters
Oct 29, 2017 8:19 PM

Jan 2014
Well that was a twist. Kind of hard to trust a talking skull and a fairy that tried to trick you before lol..

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 29, 2017 10:02 PM

Dec 2007
redtailrav said:
This episode is great. If this seems familiar to you, perhaps it's because you once read "The Cats of Ulthar" by H.P. Lovecraft and/or "Ancient Sorceries" by Algernon Blackwood. Both stories deal with feline magic. The cat kingdom in this ep is called Ulthar, and the cats perched on the old stone wall are referenced in Blackwood's story.
Actually, it goes a bit further. The past incident the cats talk about is a direct reference to the events in the Lovecraft story. It's a bit sad, however, that it took so long for someone to acknowledge the references here. They were among my favorite aspects of the episode. Oh well.
ErwinJAOct 29, 2017 10:07 PM
Oct 29, 2017 11:52 PM
Jul 2017
ErwinJA said:
redtailrav said:
Actually, it goes a bit further. The past incident the cats talk about is a direct reference to the events in the Lovecraft story. It's a bit sad, however, that it took so long for someone to acknowledge the references here. They were among my favorite aspects of the episode. Oh well.
I was going to say the same, it surprised me that no one were talking about the obvious Lovecraft reference
Oct 30, 2017 1:11 AM

Mar 2014
I had a feeling that purification wasn't going to go smoothly, especially since Chise didn't want to just wipe them out like that without knowing their story.

Is Chise getting kidnapped and then immediately drowning going to be a recurring thing? /s
Oct 30, 2017 2:30 AM

Oct 2013
ErwinJA said:
redtailrav said:

You're exactly right, if I recall correctly, the Lovecraft story featured an old couple that slaughtered cats. Does anyone else feel that anime/animation in general are the best way of portraying HPL stories and themes? I feel it could capture the dream-like quality of the tales.
Oct 30, 2017 3:54 AM
Apr 2015
Honestly I was bored by this episode, just like last week. Where I found the dragons very poorly drawn and animated, I feel the same thing with the cats of this episode. Chise is captured exactly the same way as last week, by someone with long blonde hair too. I am really disappointed by these "mini adventures", even if the stories are interesting the pace is quite soft.

I'm disapointed. I really hope that the series will win quickly in depth.
Oct 30, 2017 7:04 AM

Jul 2016
finally the cat arc

can't wait to see animated the backstory behind the tragedy of the couple and the cameo of the villain,
and yeah the feels
Oct 30, 2017 7:35 AM

Jul 2012
How much longer does Chise have? :(

Elias is letting Chise go off on her own way too much. It has to be on purpose for some reason at this point, right?
Oct 30, 2017 1:37 PM

Jan 2014
I thought this episode started out slowly compared to the rest but boy did it drop a bombshell at the end.
Oct 30, 2017 2:42 PM

Oct 2017
Loved it

Upsides:

• I like how they took a silly concept (talking cats, nine lives...) and made it interesting and immersive.
  • Molly's design is beautiful.
  • The cleanse 'ceremony' was very relaxing and purifying to watch.
  • I enjoy seeing different characters traits for the cat.
  • Chise's trust for Elias is now more genuine than it felt in the first episodes.

Downsides:

• The fact that Chise gets attack by the same people in the same episode is a bit too much in my opinion.

That was a really good episode and the cliff hanger at the end really do work; I can't wait for the next episode. Also, those cats are adorable, I hope they'll be recurrent characters in the show!
Oct 30, 2017 3:35 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
in this chapters appeared the blonde boy that can convert in a dog from the Ovas!!!
Oct 30, 2017 4:04 PM

Mar 2016
I'm still on the edge about this one. I originally was very excited for this one because I loved the ova but I'm just not really getting into the anime for some reason. I think I might try the manga instead. I don't know...I think the anime isn't giving off enough info, vibes, I don't know how to describe it. I do like it, just not as much as I had hoped for.
Oct 30, 2017 9:18 PM

Apr 2017
I was quite amazed and fascinated of this episode. I wanna cuddle and have a hug those talking cats. Their plan to cleanse the filth turned to be a mess because of the sorcerers. I wonder what is the secret of Elias hiding from Chise.
Oct 30, 2017 9:47 PM

Jun 2017
cronoSpirA said:
finally the cat arc

can't wait to see animated the backstory behind the tragedy of the couple and the cameo of the villain,
and yeah the feels

Oct 31, 2017 12:46 AM

Nov 2013
I really don't like Elias at all. Wish we had more of the Librarian from the OVA, his background seemed a lot more interesting. Elias just seems so lacklustre, not telling Chise about what she is, always arriving late to save her, not appealing at all.
Oct 31, 2017 2:26 AM
Oct 2015
4 Episodes in and there's already a cliffhanger that teases me to start reading the manga
Heckle was here...
Oct 31, 2017 3:14 PM

Jun 2016
TheHeckle said:
4 Episodes in and there's already a cliffhanger that teases me to start reading the manga

its worse having only read the first volume so far like i have. been to broke to buy any more lately

Dinaeh said:
Loved it

Downsides:

• The fact that Chise gets attack by the same people in the same episode is a bit too much in my opinion.

i know right? i noticed this immediately as well, they just carried on like the first attack never happened. Bothered me a bit, part of my negatives as well
OneArmedBanditOct 31, 2017 3:18 PM
Oct 31, 2017 9:01 PM

Mar 2013
For anyone who might be curious about the meaning of "pilum muralis", which the sorcerer called Elias at the end of the episode (not really a spoiler, I haven't read the manga, but just in case):

Nov 1, 2017 3:47 AM
Apr 2015
Kittens-kun said:
Manjuudesu said:

After last weeks episode, it's pretty clear that she values life a little more than before. Plus, even when people have suicidal thoughts, when they're actually at death's doorstep, they usually get scared.

Ah, that makes more sense. :) I didn't stop to ponder that's why.
Nov 1, 2017 4:48 AM

Nov 2011
thepath said:

Both this and AoT are getting boring though.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Nov 1, 2017 10:07 AM

May 2017
I am glad they are taking their time to build up to events happening in the show. I know a lot of anime like to make sure something happens every single episode and seeing what sticks.
Nov 1, 2017 6:48 PM

Jun 2017
thepath said:

FYI, third season will adapt the worst and most boring arc ever from the series.... I'd rather have this show run until the end before the major borefest.
Nov 1, 2017 11:45 PM

Oct 2008
The visuals of this show is really top class!
4/5.

Nov 2, 2017 2:22 AM

May 2017
Talking cats, and even a Kingdom of Cats! And only the 4th episode in! My love for cats was really stoked this episode lol
Nov 3, 2017 6:06 AM

Dec 2015
This series is so good that it made me squirmish with the that ending. The pacing is absolute perfection, with 24 episodes to spare the story is flowing smoothly.
~
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.