Forum Settings
Forums

How much longer will the anime industry last?

New
Oct 19, 2017 7:27 AM

May 2017
The anime industry has been struggling for a while now (although I'm sure that all of you already know that) mainly due to piracy, underpaid employees and not enough sales. So how much longer do you think they'll last. Or do you think that they can change some things like paying their employees more to make the job more desirable? Aggressively crack down on piracy in Japan. Maybe giving their scriptwriters more creative freedom?

Of course, I could be wrong though.
MauricOct 19, 2017 8:00 AM
The loli is for patting not for fapping
Oct 19, 2017 7:31 AM

Jul 2012
I mean 2 of those are false, the anime industry as a whole has seen broad success as a result of international licensing being on the rise. Seeing double digit revenue increases in recent years and if they expand on that they'll likely have a pretty solid base (which they are).
The only aspect which is accurate is the underpaid employees which depends on how many people choose to pursue a career in say animation. If the number is dropping at a dramatic rate there are 2 things that can happen, they are either going to increase outsourcing or they'll change the business model to better benefit workers and increase incentive. But neither of these things will be preceded by an industry wide collapse.
What will likely happen is larger studios who are at fault for underpaying animators will likely increase outsourcing because they have the funds and resources to do so. Smaller studios will likely go the route of increasing incentives for workers in order to stay competitive.
The part about scriptwriters is a pretty rough double edged sword because most of the process is vetted by a production committee and should they issue too much freedom only to result in a bad product it would have much broader damage for a studio in gaining funding. Which considering they're often just contractors can pretty much collapse their entire business if they happen to have a few really bad products and are unable to work out a gem to make up the loss.
GamerDLMOct 19, 2017 7:39 AM
Oct 19, 2017 7:41 AM

Jan 2014
Not sure. I'm kind of surprised the anime industry is still pumping out 30-ish shows a season. Especially since they get paid crap. They obviously don't do it for the money.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 19, 2017 7:54 AM

Mar 2015
>The anime industry has been struggling for a while now (although I'm sure that all of you already know that)

false

http://aja.gr.jp/english/japan-anime-data

> mainly due to piracy,

arguable
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/digital-piracy-not-harming-entertainment-industries-study-1.1894729

> underpaid employees

it's as early as anime it self being made... tezuka notoriously has harsh attitude towards his workerers and even want to press the cost as low as possible... to eliminate competition...

> not enough sales.

physical sales is low, but digital sales is on the rise, just like evryone else... note manga industry for more noticable result...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-18/japan-manga-market-grows-0.4-percent-in-2016-digital-sees-27.5-percent-increase/.113129

also BD/DVD is overpriced... no one buy them exept hardcore fans...

as long the big demand is still there, it's not gonna dying anytime soon....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 19, 2017 7:55 AM

Sep 2017
It will still last for a long time. I dont see it dying. Quality posts in mal died a long time ago though.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 19, 2017 10:00 AM

Apr 2017
It will last forever.

Are ya joking ? Japan built akihabara (the heaven of anime) which dominates a big part of tokyo and you want the anime industry to stop .. it is completely impossible ..

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 19, 2017 10:02 AM

Sep 2016
Probably as long as humanity has enough resources to keep it working
Oct 19, 2017 10:03 AM

Feb 2016
Less than 10 years, Hideaki Anno the god and savior called it.
Oct 19, 2017 10:06 AM
kinda tired

Apr 2017
It'll last as long as the world itself, I guess? For another 33 years, that is.
Oct 19, 2017 11:58 AM

Jun 2015
"The anime industry has been struggling for a while now"

And that's where you lost me.
Oct 19, 2017 12:19 PM

Jul 2015
hi, excuse me, um yes, where did u get your facts fr0m

caught in the wonder
Oct 19, 2017 12:23 PM

Feb 2015
As far as I know, there's still a lot of isekai to be made in anime adaptation so it's still early for it to go down fam.

Sep 2015
it'll last forever, hopefully with fewer studios
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher

Feb 2015
The anime industry is anything but failing... It's the smaller studios who struggle to make big hits and not accepting help from foreign sources that are failing...

Anime is going mainstream and profits for good studios are going up steadily... With the involvement of big companies like Amazon and Netflix, many studios are gaining headway and resources thus boosting quality and profit...

Some studios are not getting on the band wagon thus they are suffering loses unless they bring something good to the table... It's clearing out the men from the boys and as time marches forward it's obvious who's gonna make the cut or not...

Oct 19, 2017 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
maybe 8 more years. in 2025 everyone will start SAO
Oct 19, 2017 12:26 PM

Apr 2013
When our lord and savior Hayao Miyazaki passes on, that is when Anime will be done forever.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Oct 19, 2017 12:26 PM

Jun 2016
I fail to see how the anime industry is dying when Netflix invests in it, Crunchyroll subscriptions multiply every year, Kissanime being one of the most visited sites in the world, in fact, anime is bigger than it ever was so it'll probably last until the potential heat death of the Earth.
Oct 19, 2017 1:36 PM
Aug 2016
As long as there are shows with cute girls, the industry won't die.
Oct 19, 2017 1:44 PM

Jan 2009
Kuma said:
>The anime industry has been struggling for a while now (although I'm sure that all of you already know that)

false

yep just read that yearly report of the anime industry (im waiting for this years report)

the anime industry reported that its profits are getting high just because of legal streaming rights sales and merchandise sales

so low discs sales of BD and DVD are not a doomsday factor
Oct 19, 2017 2:55 PM

Feb 2013
Pyxus said:
I fail to see how the anime industry is dying when Netflix invests in it, Crunchyroll subscriptions multiply every year, Kissanime being one of the most visited sites in the world, in fact, anime is bigger than it ever was so it'll probably last until the potential heat death of the Earth.
anime will be made even after the world ends
Oct 19, 2017 2:57 PM

Aug 2017
I want them to last at least until I die . XDD
Oct 19, 2017 5:30 PM

Mar 2015
isekai said:
Kuma said:

false

yep just read that yearly report of the anime industry (im waiting for this years report)

the anime industry reported that its profits are getting high just because of legal streaming rights sales and merchandise sales

so low discs sales of BD and DVD are not a doomsday factor

same thing happened with west entertainment industries earliest than japan... does that mean they are dying? not really...

yeah, i also waiting for this year report (which probably next year march as usual)...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 19, 2017 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
Anime industry will last for a long time my friend, do not fret
Oct 19, 2017 11:02 PM

Aug 2014
Kuma said:

false

> mainly due to piracy,

arguable
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/digital-piracy-not-harming-entertainment-industries-study-1.1894729

> underpaid employees

it's as early as anime it self being made... tezuka notoriously has harsh attitude towards his workerers and even want to press the cost as low as possible... to eliminate competition...

> not enough sales.

physical sales is low, but digital sales is on the rise, just like evryone else... note manga industry for more noticable result...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-18/japan-manga-market-grows-0.4-percent-in-2016-digital-sees-27.5-percent-increase/.113129

also BD/DVD is overpriced... no one buy them exept hardcore fans...

as long the big demand is still there, it's not gonna dying anytime soon....

Finally someone with sense.

Tbh judging specific producer that will never go with financial crisis the anime will stay the same.
The verge of dying prob pumping out less than 15 to 10 even lesser anime each season and the hired studio would be the A tier.

Obviously the unfamous tittle that lacks fund from known or big producer will dwindle and prob drop dead unless they somehow can manage to keep up against the competition.

So
As long theres Producer that willing to fund a studio Anime wont die, but either niche tittle will keep coming out or more half assed quality.
The known studio will likely only advertise or do a sequel for most of the anime.

The studio will likely merge with another studio when its on the verges of dying, it'll keep repeating until they somehow disband.

As a watchers theres really nothing you can do other than supporting via legal sites streaming or merchandise buying, but that barely helps the studio to face financial issues.
What i can recommend are watch the original anime or seek for complete adaptation.
Seasonal might be interesting but be ready to eat whatever they gave to you with bad quality adaptation, advertising, or forever cliffhanger.
You cant really complain if theres no sequel for you beloved anime.
Either wait for the impossible thing to happen or ask spoiler/read the soure material.

Likewise the industry design itself is the problem.
Theres barely any communication between the people with important roles especially the customer (us) and the studio + producer.
Oct 19, 2017 11:05 PM

Jan 2017
Lol you sound like the industry is dying. It'll live on whether you like it or not
Oct 20, 2017 3:00 AM

Oct 2017
I actually think that the industry has been struggling, but in regards to finding a gem, as there are few here and there littered around in every season of anime. This year alone had quite the few gems that stood out and really took the narration in anime to a whole new level.

While there are underpaid animators, staff and the entire crew working behind these digital animations, there exist the same in every other field as well, and looking at that as a factor that the anime industry will collapse, even if the consequence of underpaid animators shows, is a far fetched story.

With there being an expansion in goods, where now japan is exporting hundreds of thousands of figures, posters and all sorts of other goods, it's generally being a replacement for the sales of the actual show it self, and with that said, the ever increasing online audience is leaning towards having some revenue donated to the anime industry. And since this is an effort that's being internationalised, even if the community is small, the revenue donated will be big.

But the only problem I see is to make sure to find a gem to sell. A few studios succeed. A few do not. It's the same problem that the game industry faces. Only on a slightly smaller scale.

With that said, I don't think it's going to collapse anytime soon, with what the ever increasing rate at which anime is being produced. With a solid 30+ anime every season and a bunch of OVA and Movies coming out.

Japan may be interested in the sales that it generated in the country itself, but if they ever decide to include the sales they make in all countries that anime reaches to, we might see a spike in the studios.

Rational rations of rational discussions are good!
Oct 20, 2017 3:40 AM

Nov 2014
It won't die. I think this point has been driven pretty well by all the posts above.

That said, the industry likely won't be taking off as it should because they suck at getting their content to people that want it.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 20, 2017 3:43 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Maybe if studios focus on one really good show that sells well instead of mediocre garbage that no one desires to buy then the industry quality wouldn't be deteriorating as we speak.

But in that regards, it won't perish, the system needs new managment and a ways of running and as older people die off who have kept these standards alive leave, the new blood of the new generation will hopefully change shit for the better.
Oct 20, 2017 3:48 AM

May 2017
Yeah it's definitely struggling in terms of what employees are getting paid and also the quality is deteriorating but one thing is for sure the industry ain't gonna die anytime soon.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2017 5:21 AM

May 2015
Considering that the fanbase is huge and international, I doubt it's going anywhere.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 20, 2017 5:27 AM
Mar 2017
ANime is hundred years now! It will keep up even more!
Oh wait...
North Korea can nuke Japan then...

Oh no!
Oct 20, 2017 5:30 AM

Apr 2015
~15 years unless there is a significant change in treatment of the workers. Even then, it likely won't collapse, workforce will just get outsourced to other countries.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 20, 2017 5:32 AM
Aug 2017
After the last generation of the old animators. No more young generation in Japan is pursuing the industry. That time will be the demise of anime.
Oct 20, 2017 5:32 AM

Jun 2015
It will last forever. That's what God has determinated.
A Gift By: Natsukage
Oct 20, 2017 8:07 AM

Jun 2016
romagia said:
Pyxus said:
anime will be made even after the world ends
Maybe in the new world incest wont be frowned upon.
Oct 22, 2017 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
Mauric said:

Well at least you can admit that.

Next time try developing a basic understanding of microeconomics and the jap entertainment industry before posting dumb things.
Oct 22, 2017 4:48 PM

Aug 2009
Mauric said:
The anime industry has been struggling for a while now (although I'm sure that all of you already know that) mainly due to piracy, underpaid employees and not enough sales. So how much longer do you think they'll last. Or do you think that they can change some things like paying their employees more to make the job more desirable? Aggressively crack down on piracy in Japan. Maybe giving their scriptwriters more creative freedom?

As it is cheaper to do animation than it is to higher real actors, movie sets and special effects it will last a long time.

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

32 by alshu »»
28 seconds ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

19 by alshu »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

29 by Azuchi »»
13 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

29 by vasipi4946 »»
23 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.