Forum Settings
Forums

Crunchyroll To Discontinue Download-to-Own Service

New
Mar 12, 2010 3:03 AM

Feb 2008
Crunchyroll announced that they will discontinue the Download-to-Own service on March 31st. According to Anime Nation, CEO of Crunchyroll explained that they are focusing on the simulcast business.

Sources: Crunchyroll, Anime Nation

Story by kashim
dtshykMar 12, 2010 3:03 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 12, 2010 3:09 AM

Nov 2009
I think they want to avoid potential lawsuits and the troublesome administrative tasks regarding copyrights and stuff.
Mar 12, 2010 3:53 AM

Mar 2010
I saw that on ANN this morning. I never used their DTO service, but from what I heard, that's not something to regret.

Mar 12, 2010 5:29 AM

Aug 2008
Eh, I swore off Crunchyroll about a year ago.

Seriously, someone should strike a deal with Apple to get subbed anime episodes on iTunes, like regular TV. They can probably sell 'em cheap, since the Japanese companies (for the most part) don't give a hoot about the Western market. Plus, people'll buy stuff they can get for free, if it's cheap and convenient enough — win/win.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Mar 12, 2010 5:57 AM

Aug 2009
Maybe this also shows that people only watch anime once. Few series are worth owning and rewatching anyway.
Mar 12, 2010 6:09 AM

Aug 2008
meh!.. who cares about crunchyroll..
my love for crunchyroll, died down ages ago..
"..Hibari Kyoya is L.O.V.E..."

.. Wanna ask me something? Clicky HERE~!
Mar 12, 2010 6:24 AM

Jun 2008
Lol Crunchyroll. Anything that is crunchyroll I just try to avoid at no what cost. Because always there will be a fansub group that does better than them.

Crunchyroll is just like all the fansub groups out there, its just that they actually have enough money to license stuff, but don't give a hoot about how the subs look.

Ex: Hayate no Gotoku!!, Crunchyroll - SD, no signs vs. SS-Eclipse - HD, good looking font, signs are tl'd. Your choice.
Signature Here.
Mar 12, 2010 6:28 AM

Apr 2008
Hmmm, not like they where sooo cool to download, like you say cheiftain, just any other subber cares more for his work and tries to make it look good.

I can only thank crunchy roll for galactic express 999, only that. Other than that, never will see it again.
Mar 12, 2010 9:02 AM

Nov 2008
well i don't really care abut it cause i really don't watch anime on on it often
Mar 12, 2010 9:18 AM

Jan 2009
It's not like all the series they have are DTO. So long as they keep on streaming the shows I watch then I'm satisfied with that.
My brain: Yorozuya Gin-chan -> Yozakura Quartet = Yorozuya Quartet (this is how much Gintama has affected me).
Mar 12, 2010 12:50 PM
Oct 2008
I think that crunchyroll was nice.
Mar 12, 2010 12:57 PM

Nov 2007
yer back b4 it went official bad career move i say

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Mar 12, 2010 12:57 PM

Mar 2009
and nothing of value was lost.

Mar 12, 2010 1:04 PM

May 2008
I stopped going to Crunchyroll god knows how long ago. I hated having to wait extra time to watch stuff that premium users could watch as soon as it was uploaded. Not to mention I never downloaded from them anyways. I hate their subs too. They're gross looking.

Mar 12, 2010 1:48 PM

Mar 2010
Aishia said:
Maybe this also shows that people only watch anime once. Few series are worth owning and rewatching anyway.

It shows that if a series is worth rewatching/owning, people will just wait for a dvd release.

Mar 12, 2010 3:10 PM

Aug 2008
hahaha.

well, it won't bother since they are not the only site that provide dwl.
Mar 12, 2010 6:31 PM

Nov 2009
Crunchy's digging it's own grave...
Mar 12, 2010 6:59 PM

Dec 2009
I didn't knew Crunchyrool has such service. XD
They're not even worth worrying about. There are way better subbers out there with good looking subs and that don't restrict the users from watching their vids when they're from outside the US.
Mar 12, 2010 7:10 PM

Sep 2008
Eh? What is Crunchyroll? XD

Mar 12, 2010 7:24 PM

Mar 2009
Cool story.

Not gonna lie, if CR died tomorrow and simply disappeared form the world it would probably be one of the best days to be an anime fan ever.

They're taking whats valuable right from our hands and feeding it to low tier idiots, they're slapping a brand on it and selling it, disregarding the fanbase that was built around freedom of distribution and good will, stepping on the people who built their empire, their near monopoly of 'stimucasted' anime. And would you like to know the worst part? We're just lying down and taking it.

/immature rant, I'll be quiet now.
~Just some guy~
Mar 12, 2010 9:51 PM

Jun 2007
Packard20 said:
Cool story.

Not gonna lie, if CR died tomorrow and simply disappeared form the world it would probably be one of the best days to be an anime fan ever.

They're taking whats valuable right from our hands and feeding it to low tier idiots, they're slapping a brand on it and selling it, disregarding the fanbase that was built around freedom of distribution and good will, stepping on the people who built their empire, their near monopoly of 'stimucasted' anime. And would you like to know the worst part? We're just lying down and taking it.

Ya except Crunchyroll is licensed by the anime industry where as fan subs are out of good will and are potentially illegal. Crunchyroll took something that was in high demand and made it into a business. They didn't take anything valuable from you.

As for them removing download to own...this could hurt sub groups like horriblesubs or crunchysubs that just download the episodes from Crunchyroll and release them on BitTorrent. We might be saying goodbye to those series that real sub groups drop but horriblesubs picks up. Not to mention those series that never get licensed and no groups ever finish subbing. You'll be forced to browse Crunchy's site and deal with their choppy ass flash player.
Mar 12, 2010 11:06 PM

Sep 2008
DeathfireD said:
Packard20 said:
Cool story.

Ya except Crunchyroll is licensed by the anime industry where as fan subs are out of good will and are potentially illegal. Crunchyroll took something that was in high demand and made it into a business. They didn't take anything valuable from you.

As for them removing download to own...this could hurt sub groups like horriblesubs or crunchysubs that just download the episodes from Crunchyroll and release them on BitTorrent. We might be saying goodbye to those series that real sub groups drop but horriblesubs picks up. Not to mention those series that never get licensed and no groups ever finish subbing. You'll be forced to browse Crunchy's site and deal with their choppy ass flash player.

hooray, we found one smart person who knows how bad this situation is.
and we know some group don't want to pick the title crunchy have...
so as we pray... UNLIMITED FAGGING-FOR-SUBS WORKS !!!
Mar 12, 2010 11:22 PM

Jul 2009
I don't like Crunchyroll
I don't care about it >_>
Mar 13, 2010 12:47 AM

Nov 2007
lol that wont stop horrible subs theres a thing called stream ripping

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Mar 13, 2010 1:43 AM

Nov 2007
i used to like CR, when they have music and drama video section, but now the music erased, anime and drama also reduced. T_T
it is really hard to maintain keep legal for streaming site.
i just think CR age is not gonna be long.
Mar 13, 2010 1:56 AM

May 2009
Hm... I actually stopped going on Crunchyroll when all that stuff happened and they removed all the good stuff D: Legal sites suck.
Mar 13, 2010 10:22 AM

Jun 2007
For all I care CR can just disappear :3

Mar 13, 2010 1:09 PM

May 2009
I watch Series more than one time, but i never go on crunchyroll i avoid that site :O
"Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis" Which means "It's not for me, It's not for you. It's for everyone"
Mar 13, 2010 6:04 PM
Sep 2008
Meh, I quit Crunchyroll back when they took down 95% of their shows and started all that paid account bull. Their userbase is horrible, their subs are inaccurate and ugly, and the whole thing just reeks of greed.
It's all so beneath me I don't even feel like thinking about it anymore.
Mar 13, 2010 6:45 PM

Mar 2008
I have a question.

How will certain fansub groups (mainly HorribleSubs and CrunchySubs) be able to continue to rip CrunchyRoll's videos after this service goes away?

As for my opinion on this news, I think it sucks, especially for people who have slow PCs/Laptops and therefore can't watch videos online via web browsers.

Downloading the videos makes it a whole lot better for them, especially if they can play the videos just fine via media players that don't require an internet connection in order to play downloaded videos.
KidRyanMar 14, 2010 1:35 AM

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Mar 13, 2010 8:54 PM

Jul 2009
This could be potentially bad...
Haruhi = Win!
Mar 14, 2010 1:31 AM

Mar 2008
Mar 14, 2010 8:57 AM

May 2007
I didn't even know they had such service. o_O

Mar 14, 2010 9:00 AM

Sep 2009
Packard20 said:
Cool story.

+10000

CR really did ruin a lot. It'd be one thing if they actually did a good job and put effort in, but they don't.
Mar 14, 2010 1:37 PM

Feb 2009
Ah..they're also removing the chat server. lulz.
Mar 14, 2010 2:00 PM

Feb 2008
They should just remove their existence and everyone will be happy again.
Mar 14, 2010 3:16 PM
Oct 2009
archonflux said:
They should just remove their existence and everyone will be happy again.

don't worry, the internet will always find something to bitch about :D

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
Mar 14, 2010 4:20 PM

Jul 2007
I understand the hate revolving around Crunchyroll. I dont really like them myself but you have to give it them for providing the streaming service that they do. Crunchyroll has really expanded anime to many people around the world. I would say if Crunchyroll went down a majority of people who used to watch anime would have no idea of how to watch their shows anymore.

Yes CrunchyRoll subs are nothing compared to a quality fansub group like Eclipse. But hey its not like you are gonna watch their subs for all the shows they do. Its about picking and choosing. If their is a distinguishable fansub group that is doing watch theirs but if there isnt go ahead and watch Crunchyroll subs. I watch their versions all the time because it is good enough for me since more than not i will probably never archive the shows they have licensed.

Btw when i mean watch Crunchyroll subs i mean watch Horriblesubs or any other rip group ; )

Also this news wont hurt any of those groups because they dont get the subs from that service they rip them.
Mar 14, 2010 4:54 PM

Nov 2007
Crunchyroll before was nice which was a few years back until they changed there website, for me they can completely disappear now <3 go go do it do it^_^
Mar 14, 2010 5:18 PM
Oct 2008
crunchyroll can be shut down for all i care. there site has gone downhill since they went through and did there changes to it.
Mar 14, 2010 5:28 PM

Jun 2009
Never heard, went or even DL from that site so i dont give a damn about it.
Mar 14, 2010 6:04 PM

Jan 2010
JadeMatrix said:
Eh, I swore off Crunchyroll about a year ago.

Seriously, someone should strike a deal with Apple to get subbed anime episodes on iTunes, like regular TV. They can probably sell 'em cheap, since the Japanese companies (for the most part) don't give a hoot about the Western market. Plus, people'll buy stuff they can get for free, if it's cheap and convenient enough — win/win.

Knowing Apple they will probably sell each episode at the same price as the TV shows they already have.
Mar 14, 2010 7:36 PM

Mar 2008
Crunchyroll is good for watching older episodes (no subscription required), since they do have better quality than others, otherwise they can go die for all I care.
Mar 15, 2010 12:19 AM

May 2009
crunchyroll-over-and-die.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Mar 15, 2010 12:53 PM
Feb 2010
I still go on Crunchyroll occasionally, but they really killed crunchyroll way back, It was the shit when everything went on there, and the admins only took stuff off when it was licensed. When all the anime/dramas i were going to watch weren't there, I was like... what the hell?
Mar 15, 2010 1:21 PM

Jan 2008
Just further evidence of the faggotry that is crunchyroll.

Reminds me of the pointed response I issued to their spokesperson when they tried to solicit an advertising partnership with our club website.

I should post that sometime for kicks on my blog. lol
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Mar 15, 2010 7:15 PM

Jun 2008
I was expecting this to come eventually, so it's no surprise here. I never really used it anyway.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Announces Supporting Cast

Nioxys - Apr 28

8 by RobertBobert »»
7 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

20 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
43 minutes ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Apr 26

9 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
45 minutes ago

» New '5-toubun no Hanayome' Anime in Production

Vindstot - Apr 28

37 by AkbarSenpai202 »»
2 hours ago

» '#Compass 2.0: Sentou Setsuri Kaiseki System' Unveils Main Staff, Cast, 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Apr 28

2 by CocoaGalaxy »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.