Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 28, 2017 5:55 AM

Apr 2013
why was the last thread closed without addressing the fact that the show was produced by studio seen & production IG? it also simulcast in japanese, and it was also storyboarded by kazuhiro furuhashi and junji nishimura

personal taste doesn't change the fact that huge parts of the production were japanese. there are several co-produced series already on MAL
weeaboo is not a slur you fucking nerds
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 28, 2017 6:13 AM
serendipity

Oct 2015
double standards i guess
s t a f f a r e a l w a y s r i g h t

✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
i'll be a
bad girl who's
always good to her
boy
✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
Sep 28, 2017 9:36 AM

Feb 2015
It was closed by a forum moderator, and he claimed bullshit as well on top of that.
He said that ''shows like that won't be added to the database''.
@Tyrel
BUT OBAN STAR RACERS IS HERE HUH?
It came out in France first, even though it's mostly a Japanese production.
Meanwhile Neo Yokio is simulcasted in both the west and the east, and it's produced by Production I.G and Studio Deen.
Simulcasting shouldn't be a problem, as Tokyo Godfathers is here, and that thing came out simultaniously in both sides of the pacific.

It DESERVES and SHOULD BE in the database, it's not against MAL's Database rules on top of that.

Man, it's tiring to call MAL staff out on their stupid claims.

And I will use this new thread to reply to things I couldn't answer because of the previous thread's closure.

@CondemneDio
Let's begin with you. How ignorant can you get? It's been said countless times that there IS a Japanese dub of Neo Yokio, yet you always say that there isn't any and act like the posts saying there is one don't even exist.

@thewiru
Neo Yokio IS an anime, and no need to explain why, you already saw the studios it's made by, if you read my whole post.
It's produced by 2 pretty big Japanese studios, and I.G is one of the biggest studios on the market currently, since they're the studio behind Psycho-Pass, Haikyuu, Kuroko No Basuke and more.
Hell, they're the main studio of Studio WiT, as WiT are a subsidiary of I.G, that means, they also own Attack on Titan's anime, Owari No Seraph and WiT as a whole.

It is made in Japan and by Japanese people.

@Ame
My argument isn't necessarily Popularity > Target Audience
As you can rarely ever tell what the actual target audience is, considering a lot of anime are first released in Japan as purely domestic works, since they're not big enough to hit their intended audience in the west.
That was the case with stuff like Ghost In The Shell at first.

A shit production doesn't mean it's not anime. The quality of Neo Yokio has nothing to do with it. It's an anime, shitty or not. I mean, a lot of anime are crap, doesn't mean they're not anime.

I am mentioning popularity when it comes to some anime, because stuff like Ghost In The Shell barely made enough money so it's not a loss when it comes to box office in Japan, American investors kept the whole thing alive, and funded the sequels and alternate universes.

Sometimes, where it first released, it doesn't mean it's target audience was there. Sometimes the issue lays in the fact that they just don't have the resources to risk a foreign release.

Anyways, the original western definition of anime was ''Animation produced in Japan''. I wish people would stop freaking twisting the living shit out of the definition so they feel less insecure about the fact that they enjoy something that America was slightly involved in.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Sep 28, 2017 10:53 AM

Jan 2013
It was closed for a good reason, go read it.

@SigmaticDoc
If there really is a Japanese dub of it, then... okay?
Frozen was dubbed in Japanese too.
Sep 28, 2017 11:09 AM

Feb 2015
CondemneDio said:

@SigmaticDoc

Frozen was originally English though. And it's clearly produced in America.

Neo Yokio is produced in Japan, by Japanese people and is airing simultaneously in Japan and America.
Sep 28, 2017 11:18 AM

Jul 2015
CondemneDio said:

@SigmaticDoc

Love how you first list a japanese dub as a requierment for being an anime. When it turns out there IS one you just go "..okay?" invalidating it as a requierment to begin with.

Lol just lol.
Sep 28, 2017 11:20 AM

Jan 2013
SigmaticDoc said:
CondemneDio said:

@SigmaticDoc

Neo Yokio is produced in Japan, by Japanese people and is airing simultaneously in Japan and America.

And the intended audience is what's making it a not anime at this point in time.

It's probably not going to get listed in MAL, so you can always use alternative sites. Or, you know, just accept it and move on with your life.
If this is the biggest worry you people have, Id be seriously worried for you.

@csexion
Dub, intended audience, where it was produced, by who etc. etc.

@skeletonParty
If it meets the requirements, it will be added. At this point it seems like it does not, hence it's not listed :)

I gotta love the dedication you people have btw. I'm probably the biggest villain in the world to you at this moment :D
Sep 28, 2017 11:21 AM

Apr 2013
CondemneDio said:

@SigmaticDoc

it was produced and storyboarded in japan. which meets the site requirements for being listed in the db, it is not just outsourced animation, it is a coproduction. regardless of your feelings on the series
Sep 28, 2017 11:50 AM

Feb 2015
CondemneDio said:
SigmaticDoc said:

And the intended audience is what's making it a not anime at this point in time.

It's probably not going to get listed in MAL, so you can always use alternative sites. Or, you know, just accept it and move on with your life.
If this is the biggest worry you people have, Id be seriously worried for you.

@csexion
Dub, intended audience, where it was produced, by who etc. etc.

@skeletonParty
If it meets the requirements, it will be added. At this point it seems like it does not, hence it's not listed :)

I gotta love the dedication you people have btw. I'm probably the biggest villain in the world to you at this moment :D

And of course, if it's airing simultaneously in Japan and America, both are the intended audience? Logically speaking.

Sep 28, 2017 11:50 AM

Jan 2013
@SigmaticDoc
Hmm, that sounds about right. There are cases where anime had English dub first, such as Space Dandy, too.
It's just that I haven't seen any evidence of there being a Japanese dub, so I'm having a hard time understaning your point.

Lay out cold, hard evidence, list of names etc. to prove your point. Namecalling and whining only gets these threads locked.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
ShockedOct 2, 2017 11:25 PM
Sep 28, 2017 2:07 PM

Feb 2015
CondemneDio said:
@skeletonParty

More like the biggest moron who can't recognize his cognitive dissonance[/quote]
Your salt just makes it too easy to see :)

@SigmaticDoc
Hmm, that sounds about right. There are cases where anime had English dub first, such as Space Dandy, too.
It's just that I haven't seen any evidence of there being a Japanese dub, so I'm having a hard time understaning your point.

Lay out cold, hard evidence, list of names etc. to prove your point. Namecalling and whining only gets these threads locked.[/quote]

The creator himself said what I just said, it's on his twitter.
And the names of the Japanese VAs is actually in Neo Yokio's credits.
If you even bothered with Neo Yokio to the point of seeing the credits at least once, then you would know.

But I'd bet you've not even seen it, but assumed it's an american production trying to be an anime so all of the threads are coming as too much of a surprise for you.

ShockedOct 2, 2017 11:26 PM
Sep 28, 2017 2:56 PM

Oct 2014
It sounds like MAL accepts it as a co-production but says it wasn't made for a Japanese audience, which is a bullshit reason since they like stuff like that into the database before such as Tezuka's Bible Stories and Wanwan Sanjuushi. It doesn't address the problem if you say it's one that wasn't a problem in the past. When it gets its Japanese dub will that make it count or not? Whether if it's good or not it actually does follow all of the definitions of what an anime is, especially if those two count. The definition never said it needed to be primarily targeted at a Japanese audience just that it had to broadcast there, in fact Tezuaka's Bible Stories didn't get a dub until 3 years after it aired. In the credits of Neo Yokio they even mention the Japanese cast which gives the impression that they plan to release it soon.

Afro Samurai and Shelter are both aimed at only American audiences and Afro Samurai doesn't even have a Jap dub. Somehow those count.
Sep 28, 2017 3:51 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
MAL is picky dude. They try to bend the rules so they can cock block particular entries. 2 hours of watching Neo Yokio and I'm not gonna get to write a review for it or get credit for watching it. Pathetic.
Sep 28, 2017 4:41 PM

Feb 2013
i wonder if we can get Ezra Koenig or Jaden Smith to tweet something like "Neo Yokio is meant for a japanese audience, please allow it on MAL"

but yea i also think it should be allowed... if Kanye's Good Morning and Dream Theater's Forsaken pass the "also made for japanese audience :^)" test , then so does Neo Yokio imo especially if you can watch it on the japanese netflixx

though i guess its circumstances are quite unique indeed..

@zombie_pegasus just as another example of co-production to reference later, https://myanimelist.net/anime/28595/Pac-World
this one aired in japan ~1 year after the americans

thewiru said:
(Similar in how in my country Anime conventions slowly started adding non-anime related youtubers and other western stuff and nowadays one of the bigger complaints is that they stopped being about anime)
funny enough, in my country it's a bit like the opposite; the anime conventions stayed mostly pure, and it was more anime that bled into the local Comicon than the other way round
but both anime conventions are now on hiatus and comicon is thriving so maybe that wasnt the best course of action :<
romagiaSep 28, 2017 5:23 PM
Sep 28, 2017 10:29 PM

Jan 2013
SigmaticDoc said:
CondemneDio said:
@SigmaticDoc

Lay out cold, hard evidence, list of names etc. to prove your point. Namecalling and whining only gets these threads locked.

If you even bothered with Neo Yokio to the point of seeing the credits at least once, then you would know.

But I'd bet you've not even seen it, but assumed it's an american production trying to be an anime so all of the threads are coming as too much of a surprise for you.

Oh yes, I haven't seen it and won't, since it looks like shit, to be frank.

It's not my job to look for the evidence boy, lay it out here, it's your chance to convince people and MAL staff that this is animu!

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
ShockedOct 2, 2017 11:26 PM
Sep 29, 2017 12:08 AM

Feb 2015
CondemneDio said:
SigmaticDoc said:

@SigmaticDoc

It's not my job to look for the evidence boy, lay it out here, it's your chance to convince people and MAL staff that this is animu![/quote]

Even without me showing you the cast, everything that's been said here is way more than enough to show that it's an anime. But if you're so freaking daft and need it right in your face... here :

That's the Japanese cast for Neo Yokio, in the credits of the anime itself.

@Kineta (Sorry to bother you, you're the only DB guy whose name I remember.)

Can you read through this thread and conclude whether Neo Yokio deserves to be on MAL?
Since if Afro Samurai is here, then Neo Yokio deserves to be here ten times more than Afro Samurai does.

Mod Edit: Merged double post.

ShockedOct 2, 2017 11:27 PM
Sep 29, 2017 1:11 AM

Sep 2017
Neo Yokio deserves to be in mal unfortunately it is a living meme right now. Lol
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 29, 2017 2:44 AM

Jan 2013
SigmaticDoc said:
CondemneDio said:

It's not my job to look for the evidence boy, lay it out here, it's your chance to convince people and MAL staff that this is animu!

Even without me showing you the cast, everything that's been said here is way more than enough to show that it's an anime. But if you're so freaking daft and need it right in your face... here :

That's the Japanese cast for Neo Yokio, in the credits of the anime itself.

Well done! *slow clap*
Now it's up to the people behind the sit to make the decision.
Sep 29, 2017 6:32 AM

Apr 2017
ye put it up there. i haven't really seen a good reason not to. Regardless of quality, this show deserves to be on MAL more than some other stuff on here. Plus, people will finally shut up about it
Big breast are full of dreams, but small breast are full of hope.
Sep 29, 2017 1:50 PM

Apr 2014
@Tyrel
Why did you close the previous thread?
If this can't be added delete FLCL 2 and 3 then.
Because this is entirely the same case of it.

EDIT:
Please MAL, I don't really know how stupid your DB rules is.
Why Tenkai Knights was added years ago if this can't be added?
Well, I don't really know what Neo Yokio is. But the DB rules was just terrible so I need to point out.
RayzerSep 29, 2017 2:08 PM
Haters always gonna hate.
Sep 29, 2017 5:29 PM

Sep 2011
Rayzer said:
@Tyrel

EDIT:
Well, I don't really know what Neo Yokio is. But the DB rules was just terrible so I need to point out.
Did you read my post at all? If you're going to open some a thread, you don't open it up to attack the mods and call them a bunch of cowards because you can't agree to how they decide what gets added and what doesn't. Also, not only was he doing that, he tried to put in stuff like The Last Airbender and many other shows which have been denied 100s of times.

Now, as for my opinion, I don't even consider this an anime. And by MALs terms, I'm not sure if they would either. I'm not going out of my way to research this.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101

What anime entries are not allowed?

Shows where apart from the animation everything else (directing, script, etc.) was done outside of Japan/Korea/China. Thus, if a US company hires Japanese animators solely to work on the animation this work will not be included in our database.

Sep 29, 2017 7:05 PM

Apr 2013
Tyrel said:
Did you read my post at all? If you're going to open some a thread, you don't open it up to attack the mods and call them a bunch of cowards because you can't agree to how they decide what gets added and what doesn't. Also, not only was he doing that, he tried to put in stuff like The Last Airbender and many other shows which have been denied 100s of times.

Now, as for my opinion, I don't even consider this an anime. And by MALs terms, I'm not sure if they would either. I'm not going out of my way to research this.

Shows where apart from the animation everything else (directing, script, etc.) was done outside of Japan/Korea/China. Thus, if a US company hires Japanese animators solely to work on the animation this work will not be included in our database.

i'm not insulting anyone. and its not even slightly the same situation as avatar, comparing them is silly, this goes beyond art style.

it was not just outsourced animation. storyboarding was done as well. the studios openly advertised it. it simulcast in japan. it was described literally everywhere as a coproduction. it meets the same requirements that oban star racers & shelter do, if not more.

i get that you're not a fan of the series, that's fine. opinions on the series (& its popularity) are irrelevant
Sep 30, 2017 12:15 AM

Sep 2011
skeletonParty said:
Tyrel said:

i'm not insulting anyone. and its not even slightly the same situation as avatar, comparing them is silly, this goes beyond art style.

it was not just outsourced animation. storyboarding was done as well. the studios openly advertised it. it simulcast in japan. it was described literally everywhere as a coproduction. it meets the same requirements that oban star racers & shelter do, if not more.

i get that you're not a fan of the series, that's fine. opinions on the series (& its popularity) are irrelevant
o_O? Where did I say I was saying that you insulted and the works? My reply was for Rayzer, which I quoted, to the thread that was locked.
Sep 30, 2017 12:40 AM

Feb 2015
Tyrel said:
Rayzer said:
@Tyrel

EDIT:

Well, unlike you I bothered doing my research. And it's not a US company that just hired a studio to work on the animation.
It's a co-production, like it or not.

The directors are Furuhashi Kazuhiro, the guy behind -
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
Hunter X Hunter 1999
Rurouni Kenshin and every OVA related to it
and others.

and Junji Nishimura, the guy that directed -
Baku Tech! Bakugan Gachi
Bakuon!!
Dog Days all seasons
Glasslip
Nurarihyon no Mago
The second half of Ranma 1/2
Samurai Deeper Kyo
True Tears

Alright, the majority of what Nishimura directed might be garbage except Nurarihyon and Ranma, but he's still an anime director nonetheless.

Not only did they direct it, it was storyboarded by them, and majority of the show's staff is asian, Production I.G and Studio Deen being japanese and MOI Animation - south korean.

I.G was also directly involved in Neo Yokio's marketing as they're the ones that tried to build the hype around it back in 2015 in Anime Expo.

It aired simultaneously in both sides of the pacific and it's country of origin are considered both Japan and America.

Why is Afro Samurai on this site if Neo Yokio can't be? If anything, Afro Samurai is the one that goes against guidelines.
When it officially published as a manga, it only released in America, it clearly goes against guidelines that it should be made for the asian market.

The anime of Afro Samurai also doesn't have a japanese dub...
And unlike Neo Yokio, Afro Samurai didn't air simultaneously, it's anime also came out in America first.

Seriously, how df did you even become a DB moderator when you can't be assed to even research something like that, and yet you keep adding stupid ass american cartoons.
Let me remind you that Bakugan: Mechtanium Surge NEVER aired in Japan since it Bakugan was not popular there at all.
Season 1 had aired in Japan first, but the show bombed there but was successful in the west, and the subsequent seasons were released in the west before they were released in Japan, and the final season didn't even get a japanese release, it's available only in English.
Therefore the final season shouldn't be on MAL, it goes against guidelines.

You can add so many freaking shows without even caring what your guidelines are, but now you're trying to latch on to the guidelines to add Neo Yokio?!?!
Although that doesn't help you, not one bit, as Neo Yokio doesn't go against guidelines.
Sep 30, 2017 1:12 AM

Sep 2011
SigmaticDoc said:
Tyrel said:

Seriously, how df did you even become a DB moderator when you can't be assed to even research something like that, and yet you keep adding stupid ass american cartoons.
I'm a DB Moderator? Pretty sure it says I'm a Forum Moderator. That's why I said "In my opinion" as a third party, and not speaking in terms as a Anime DB Moderator.
TyrelSep 30, 2017 2:08 AM
Sep 30, 2017 3:31 AM

Jul 2012
I mean, I hated this dumb thing, but I wasted my time watching and now I wanna have it on my list as a shitty title to balance my score (because muh autistic elitism screams louder) after I watched too many nice anime in the past few months (that's the only thing this anime is barely worth of a positive imo, and it's a meta positive thing, since it's trash).

Nonetheless, this is still an anime by MAL standards as well.
Could you call some DB Moderators in here, @Tyrel ?

I would be interested in seen what they have to say given @SigmaticDoc 's comment.

Just to further add, anime like Bamboo Bears are still part of the database, and they should be MUCH LESS anime than Neo Yokio would ever be, by default.

If Telescreen is part of the MAL guideline's standard, Neo Yokio should be MORE THAN ALLOWED to be in here as well.
DanpmssSep 30, 2017 3:36 AM
Sep 30, 2017 7:46 AM

Feb 2015
Tyrel said:
SigmaticDoc said:

I'm a DB Moderator? Pretty sure it says I'm a Forum Moderator. That's why I said "In my opinion" as a third party, and not speaking in terms as a Anime DB Moderator.

Ah, thought you're a DB moderator, anyways, that aside.
Opinion is absolutely irrelevant in this case. Anime is always anime, despite someone's feelings on the show.

I can't suddenly start saying Akame Ga Kill is not anime, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 30, 2017 8:28 AM

Oct 2014
Tyrel said:
SigmaticDoc said:

Since when did anime become subjective? If we look at all of the other co-productions MAL has allowed in the past then objectively it would have to be added or else all of those ones added in the past would be the error, which seems less likely. It is a co-production, not just outsourcing, although the only thing Japan did other than the animation is that director of Glasslip and the director of Samurai X did the storyboarding, which is the one aspect left up for debate on whether this is enough as we've already determined MAL doesn't care who a show was originally aimed at as long at it gets a Japanese dub eventually. Miraculous Ladybug was denied because not enough of the work was done in Japan therefore disqualifying it as a co-production. This shows that it's not like one Japanese person on the staff who does something other than the animation automatically makes it anime, but we also know the team doesn't have to be 50/50 between Japanese people and foreigners for it to count as being a co-production.
Sep 30, 2017 11:14 AM
Aug 2014
The convo isn't whether or not it's anime. It's anime. The reality is, if it was released in Japan first and then dubbed later, then it would be part of the DB. But because of the way it was released and since it's in English, that is what instantly stuck in the moderators' heads.

MAL didn't want to approve Castlevania, fine. But, there's no excuse for this. Just come out and say that you really don't have any "rules or guidelines" and do things on a whim. Be honest.
Sep 30, 2017 12:47 PM

Oct 2014
DeeJayRed said:
The convo isn't whether or not it's anime. It's anime. The reality is, if it was released in Japan first and then dubbed later, then it would be part of the DB. But because of the way it was released and since it's in English, that is what instantly stuck in the moderators' heads.

MAL didn't want to approve Castlevania, fine. But, there's no excuse for this. Just come out and say that you really don't have any "rules or guidelines" and do things on a whim. Be honest.
There are at least a dozen anime in that database that got a Jap dub after they got an other language one (not always English, but something European). All of those have low member counts, though, while Neo Yokio has been seen by far more MAL members, which is likely the reason why they wouldn't want to approve it.
Sep 30, 2017 1:26 PM

Jul 2012
The agressive people in that other thread were cancerous (I was lurking around before it got locked). I also agree not only with his points, but also given my own about this whole database title derailment thing.

Neo Yokio, no matter how shitty it is (and heck, if it isn't awful), is an anime by MAL guidelines standards, and as such, should be included and well-received with my bad rating as soon as possible.

The arguments were made above, no counterarguments were made ever since, and no Database Mod came by. I'm really just waiting to see where this goes tbh, I have nothing with you people in that regard (but I do hate fallacies in discussions, so I have to properly address them too).

ShockedOct 2, 2017 11:28 PM
Sep 30, 2017 1:30 PM

Jan 2013
Danpmss said:
The agressive people in that other thread were cancerous (I was lurking around before it got locked). I also agree not only with his points, but also given my own about this whole database title derailment thing.

Neo Yokio, no matter how shitty it is (and heck, if it isn't awful), is an anime by MAL guidelines standards, and as such, should be included and well-received with my bad rating as soon as possible.

The arguments were made above, no counterarguments were made ever since, and no Database Mod came by. I'm really just waiting to see where this goes tbh, I have nothing with you people in that regard (but I do hate fallacies in discussions, so I have to properly address them too).

If it truly is anime by MAL standards, it will get added. If there are other entries that should not be listed, they should be removed.

My guess is they can't make a decision with this is because there's so little info available in the end. Well, we'll see.
If it gets added, I'll watch it and probably rate it somewhere around 1 or 2, if it is actually as bad as everyone's saying :D

ShockedOct 2, 2017 11:28 PM
Sep 30, 2017 1:38 PM

Apr 2015
Well, Anime-Planet caved.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 30, 2017 1:38 PM

Jul 2012
CondemneDio said:
Danpmss said:

If it truly is anime by MAL standards, it will get added. If there are other entries that should not be listed, they should be removed.

My guess is they can't make a decision with this is because there's so little info available in the end. Well, we'll see.
If it gets added, I'll watch it and probably rate it somewhere around 1 or 2, if it is actually as bad as everyone's saying :D

Personally, I will rate it a 2/10, only because the whole stupid "big Toblerone" thing was legit funny enough to become the meme this title will be known for.

That is, if it actually goes to the database. Let's wait and see their veredict (pretty sure the aforementioned Telescreen titles will be all removed if that's not so, and that would be too bad as I was actually watching 3 of those, and they are long).

ShockedOct 2, 2017 11:29 PM
Oct 1, 2017 12:26 AM

Apr 2013
CondemneDio said:
It's just that I haven't seen any evidence of there being a Japanese dub, so I'm having a hard time understaning your point

lol anyone can access the japanese dub with 2 clicks

https://a.pomfe.co/zeqbzpj.webm
Oct 1, 2017 12:36 AM

Jan 2013
skeletonParty said:
CondemneDio said:
It's just that I haven't seen any evidence of there being a Japanese dub, so I'm having a hard time understaning your point

lol anyone can access the japanese dub with 2 clicks

And there you go!
It's not that hard to prove your point if you actually bother gathering evidence.

Hint: I'm not going to search for the shit myself.
Oct 1, 2017 8:50 AM

Jul 2012
God, stop derailing the thread because of your shitty bishounens.
I'm actually trying to stay on topic in here, so that this thread isn't closed without any resolution like the previous one.
Oct 1, 2017 10:12 AM

Feb 2015
@Kineta

So are we going to see at least any kind of conclusion to this Neo Yokio stuff?
I mean, it is an anime, and the majority of anime sites have added it already.

Mod Edit: Merged double post.

ShockedOct 2, 2017 11:30 PM
Oct 2, 2017 10:35 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I... haven't read all the posts in this thread, as it seemed be a lot of passion, random examples, and arguing over minor (off-topic?) points.

Really glad you guys want to add things to your list on MAL. Even more glad that you want our DB to be consistent in its application of the guidelines, because that's our goal also.

Insults and toxic sarcasm towards the staff isn't going to make the DB more consistent, though. All it's going to change is that none of the DB staff want to talk to you.

Now. For everyone who doesn't know, MAL has two major defining points of "what" is anime:
1. Who created it.
2. Who they created it for.

In Neo Yokio's case, we know who created it. The sticking point is who they created it for. In my earlier research, it seemed like Neo Yokio was not being streamed in Japan. Without a broadcast in Japan, it wouldn't meet criteria 2. Revisiting Japanese news sites, I've read articles suggesting it is available on JP Netflix with JP subtitles.

This is a unique case, and how we handle it is going to modify:
- how we view older entries in our database
- how we view newer entries in an ever-evolving medium

Once we've reviewed all the facts thoroughly, we'll get back to you.
Oct 2, 2017 10:47 PM

Apr 2013
Kineta said:
Now. For everyone who doesn't know, MAL has two major defining points of "what" is anime:
1. Who created it.

In Neo Yokio's case, we know who created it. The sticking point is who they created it for. In my earlier research, it seemed like Neo Yokio was not being streamed in Japan. Without a broadcast in Japan, it wouldn't meet criteria 2. Revisiting Japanese news sites, I've read articles suggesting it is available on JP Netflix with JP subtitles.

it was simulcast in japan on netflix and has a japanese dub. the weird arguments about durarara hid me linking a clip

the dub was simulcast & the whole series is available in japanese
skeletonPartyOct 2, 2017 11:01 PM
Oct 2, 2017 11:38 PM

Jan 2010
Thread Cleaned

Please keep the discussion to Neo Yokio~
Oct 3, 2017 9:16 AM

Oct 2014
It sounds like Neo Yokio was originally supposed to be an anime, but Japanese TV stations didn't want it and so the project was abandoned and later Netflix, an American company, bought it and completed it. This means the Japanese work done on it was not in collaboration but was rather just the original work that would have otherwise been discarded. It is not a co-production and therefore does not count as an anime.
Oct 3, 2017 10:23 AM

Jul 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
It sounds like Neo Yokio was originally supposed to be an anime, but Japanese TV stations didn't want it and so the project was abandoned and later Netflix, an American company, bought it and completed it. This means the Japanese work done on it was not in collaboration but was rather just the original work that would have otherwise been discarded. It is not a co-production and therefore does not count as an anime.

Well this is just false information.

It is a co-production.
Oct 3, 2017 11:09 AM

Feb 2015
zombie_pegasus said:

I don't know from where you got this information but it's false, lol.

The project has been with the same staff since the very beginning, it was just shelved for a while, then brought back, nothing changed about it. Neither it's staff, neither it's licensor, nothing changed.
It's been a co-production from the very beginning.
Oct 3, 2017 12:16 PM

Apr 2013
zombie_pegasus said:

this is completely incorrect. it was not originally planned to air on netflix, but none of the production details changed, it was co-produced with studio deen and production IG the entire time and simulcast in japanese
Oct 3, 2017 12:31 PM

Jul 2012
Kineta said:
I... haven't read all the posts in this thread, as it seemed be a lot of passion, random examples, and arguing over minor (off-topic?) points.

Really glad you guys want to add things to your list on MAL. Even more glad that you want our DB to be consistent in its application of the guidelines, because that's our goal also.

Insults and toxic sarcasm towards the staff isn't going to make the DB more consistent, though. All it's going to change is that none of the DB staff want to talk to you.

1. Who created it.

This is a unique case, and how we handle it is going to modify:
- how we view older entries in our database
- how we view newer entries in an ever-evolving medium

Once we've reviewed all the facts thoroughly, we'll get back to you.

I might have given @SigmaticDoc all of my agreement in argument and reasoning, but I DON'T condone his harsh words towards the staff however (that really wasn't nice at all).

However I do have to say this way of analyzing Japanese productions is very flawed in a certain key point, which would be:

It shouldn't work like that. Anime should be about Japanese productions/coproductions made in Japan, at the very least. ALL OF THEM should be regarded as anime. I would even say including Chinese & Korean independent productions would be stretching a bit (and there are a few in the database, 100% not japanese too), but not to this case in particular at all (referring to Neo Yokio).

If you try analyzing who they were created for, you might as well delete all of Watanabe's anime from Cowboy Bebop to Zankyou no Terror (as he, admitedly, even said many times his works have western audiences in mind particularly... heck, Space Dandy aired in the US before than in Japan for a major example).

But wait, you cannot do that, since it was an anime, made in Japan and all that.
But oh wait, Neo Yokio is the very same thing, pretty much. So what's the big deal, one might ask.

And to further dismantle this argument, you would only do that to anime made in Japan. To demonstrate just how lacking this current standard is in terms of equilibrium:

Make a completely non-japanese production with japanese people in mind, and EVERYBODY will say it isn't anime since it wasn't made in Japan, even if they are the absolute targeted audience. Undoubtedly.

Make a completely japanese production with anyone else in the world but japanese people as the targeted audience, and people would still call it anime, as it was made in Japan. Undoubtedly.

That's just my opinion regarding that one bit of the guidelines.

You could even consider it "racist" if you think about it enough (not quite, in my opinion, and the term is rather overused for every single nitpick nowadays, so I'll let this off the hook actually).

Concluding:
It doesn't matter to whose people or country is being directed to. What defines "anime" in a western standard always was "animations made in Japan" (while in Japan it just stands to any animation around, kinda).
DanpmssOct 3, 2017 12:38 PM
Oct 7, 2017 7:11 AM

Dec 2013
It is an anime, as the definition for anime is and has always been literally animation from Japan.

Netflix will play a large role in anime in the future wether you butthurt weeaboos like it or not, it's no use rejecting Neo Yokio from the site. Competitor databases already have Neo Yokio, if MAL refuses to adapt I'll simply switch to their competitors.
Oct 7, 2017 7:14 AM

Jan 2013
@boatz
That just means MAL has different standards.
You're free to use other sites bruh. Nobody's forcing you to use MAL.
Oct 7, 2017 7:30 AM

Apr 2014
> Pingu in the City on MAL.
Great work MAL, Polygon Pictures practically penetrated your stupid DB rules.
Then in the next few years US/EU hires Japanese studios to co-create something.
TV Broadcast is dead, streaming services, mobile apps dominated, and made it available on both countries.

Now we all know where MAL will go because of stupid Ancient DB rules.
Haters always gonna hate.
Oct 7, 2017 7:54 AM

Apr 2015
Rayzer said:
> Pingu in the City on MAL.
Great work MAL, Polygon Pictures practically penetrated your stupid DB rules.
Then in the next few years US/EU hires Japanese studios to co-create something.
TV Broadcast is dead, streaming services, mobile apps dominated, and made it available on both countries.

Now we all know where MAL will go because of stupid Ancient DB rules.

Pingu in the City is being fully made in Japan and broadcast on NHK. A significant amount of Neo Yokio's production was in America, and it was made for an English audience.

Pingu did not "penetrate" the DB rules; it follows them perfectly.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8733 by AnastasiaWun »»
11 hours ago

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ganji_No_Tensai - Mar 30, 2023

763 by NekozillaMaru »»
Yesterday, 8:11 PM

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

707 by Kristiwazhere »»
Yesterday, 6:32 PM

» Score lowered again with no obvious warning or signs

--Kaori-- - Yesterday

1 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 8:02 AM

» ultraman rising will not be on mal database?

deg - May 17

2 by deg »»
May 17, 5:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.