Forum Settings
Forums

Will American Made Animation Ever Be Considered Anime?

New
Sep 21, 2017 7:38 PM

Feb 2015
Aye~

Serious question... With Netflix, Amazon etc beginning to dip its toes into the anime industry, will it ever be possible for an animation produced in the U.S to be considered anime? Or more like, will it be accepted by the community as an anime? Such as appearing on this site etc...

I know it is technically not "anime" since it won't be produced in Japan, but the idea of "anime" doesn't have set boundaries thus a U.S animation could be considered an anime by the industry or community... Hence the debate whether shows such as RWBY and Castlevania should be considered anime...

What are your opinions? Do you think U.S animation that is draw exactly like anime be considered an "anime"?

Sep 21, 2017 7:46 PM

Mar 2015
they are already... WTH?

curious gorge and shaun the sheep currently sitting on top japan TV anime rating 7 and 9 respectifully...

frozen was winning tokyo anime awards back in the 2014....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 21, 2017 7:48 PM

Nov 2016
To Japan, "anime" refers to all animation. Everyone else uses "anime" to define Japanese animation. So it depends on the perspective. People living in Japan would consider Avatar or Spongebob to be anime, but we wouldn't
Sep 21, 2017 7:51 PM

Feb 2015
Nomar_95 said:
To Japan, "anime" refers to all animation. Everyone else uses "anime" to define Japanese animation. So it depends on the perspective. People living in Japan would consider Avatar or Spongebob to be anime, but we wouldn't

Yeah but Chinese animation is now being considered anime... So how does that make sense?
Sep 21, 2017 7:52 PM

Feb 2015
Kuma said:
they are already... WTH?

curious gorge and shaun the sheep currently sitting on top japan TV anime rating 7 and 9 respectifully...

-Slow clapping-

-Slow clapping with echo-

-Slow clapping echoing through hallway-

Congratulations... You're unoriginal
Sep 21, 2017 7:54 PM

Mar 2015
Nyah_Chan said:
Kuma said:
they are already... WTH?

-Slow clapping-

what? i simply pointing out reality that those shows is more considered anime than shows you mentioned...

Nyah_Chan said:
Nomar_95 said:

Yeah but Chinese animation is now being considered anime... So how does that make sense?

because manhua and manhwa...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 21, 2017 7:58 PM

Feb 2015
Kuma said:
Nyah_Chan said:

-Slow clapping-

what? i simply pointing out reality that those shows is more considered anime than shows you mentioned...

Nyah_Chan said:

(.-. yeah... Obviously... But you know... the whole... not made in Japan thing... Yet still considered anime
Sep 21, 2017 8:01 PM

Mar 2015
Nyah_Chan said:
Kuma said:

(.-. yeah... Obviously... But you know... the whole... not made in Japan thing... Yet still considered anime
exactly... it's all eurocentrism to begin with that they can't differentiate japan, china and korean artworks... when the DB established,they just realized that and too lazy to change it...

japan coldn't care less how it looks or from where it made... if it's animated, then it's anime... and i fully support that definition... fuck your castelvanie, rwby, avatar, ETC... everthing diserved to be called anime... so i can put shaun the sheep and masha the bear in my favorite list...
Sep 21, 2017 8:08 PM

Aug 2014
never thank god

Sep 21, 2017 8:17 PM

Mar 2017
Anime...

Cartoons...

F*ck delineations.

It's animation. All of it. No distinctions.

You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 21, 2017 8:19 PM

Aug 2016
Myanimelist should be myanimationlist. That way South Park can be on top of my favorites.
Sep 21, 2017 8:42 PM
Sep 2017
Hello have anyone watch isekai wa smartphone also wondering is there is a website to read light novel in their orinigal langauge like japanese.
If it possible to translate that original language light novel with Google translate and if not that will.Has to actually translate into understandable sentence not nonsense
Sep 21, 2017 8:46 PM
Sep 2017
Hay can anyone name all the wifes touya has in the light novel isekai wa smartphone not the translated one but the original japanese one with the more chapters in it.
Sep 21, 2017 8:52 PM
Jun 2017
i don't see why not
Japan can't possibly fulfil the demand of international audiences
sooner or later, other countries will jump in (they kinda already did) and soon enough, the line will be very very blur
Sep 21, 2017 8:56 PM

Oct 2015
NO, no no nonono NO, NOOOOOOOOO no just no
Sep 21, 2017 9:14 PM

Oct 2015
Personally, I don't care what it's called as long as its good to watch :^]

Plus it's been nice to see animation development geared towards this area from places other than Japan.

Some of the recent/continuing Chinese titles have been surprisingly good in my opinion.

Watching Qin Shi Ming Yue change from PS1 type cutscenes to modern CG/drawings has been oddly gratifying.

Also Huyao Xiaohongniang has gotten a Japanese dub, which tickled me when I found out.
Sep 21, 2017 9:25 PM

Aug 2017
The definition of anime itself is still varied. There will be no definitive answer for your question as long there's no definitive answer defined for what anime is.

For Chinese Cartoon, it simply just because we don't coin a term for it yet. If we really care enough, there's should be distinguishable term for each animation, just like Manga, Manhwa and Manhua.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Sep 21, 2017 9:32 PM

Aug 2014
pgmhecateii said:
I prefer not, just because to us Western people it makes it easier to see what we are talking about.

but stuff like Avatar is between the border of cartoon and anime..
Its one of the greatest masterpiece evermade especially The Last Airbender.
Sep 21, 2017 9:46 PM

Apr 2017
It won't and It will NEVER be

>Just saw Jaden WELLOW SMITH anime
>Netflix
>Production I.G
>Deviant Art Style

GARBOOOOO..

/thread

-HippySnob-Sep 21, 2017 11:19 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 21, 2017 9:51 PM

Nov 2015
I call western animation "cartoons" and always will refer to them as it.
Sep 21, 2017 10:16 PM
May 2017
Define anime. Does "anime" denote an artistic style/movement, or does it denote a country of origin? Keep in mind that both of those definitions are fuzzy as fuck in today's global economy where Korea animates everything either way. Hopefully people will stop being pedantic and stop caring about meaningless segregation.
Sep 21, 2017 10:27 PM

Jan 2009
everything animation is considered anime in japan anyway considering the word anime simply means animation to them there
Sep 21, 2017 10:32 PM

Jan 2010
What are your opinions? Do you think U.S animation that is draw exactly like anime be considered an "anime"?

I'm sorry but this is a very dumb question imo u_u

Do you even know what anime is?

It's Japanese cartoon, cartoon produced in Japan, Japanese animation.

Anime is derived from the Japanese version of the word animation = animeeshon. Thus, anime for short.

So no.

Things like Avatar and Castlevania IS NOT ANIME however it does have STYLE SIMILAR TO ANIME even though it's american cartoon/american animation.

The answer to this thread is NO period. No matter how similar the art style is, it will never be called an anime and it will never be on this site.

unless you're a japanese that call all animation anime

/thread
CrimsonMidnightSep 21, 2017 11:04 PM
Sep 21, 2017 10:32 PM

Nov 2014
I don't know, I'm too lazy to have a philosophical analysis every time a new animation comes out.

It's not like you have to specify in a conversation anyways.
If you are speaking generally, it's "Hey do you watch anime?"
If you are speaking specifically, it's "Hey did you watch <insert show here>"
At what point in time do I ever need to use the name of the show and "anime" in 1 sentence? Well... never. It's a problem that only exist because you think about such a non-existent problem in the first place (or you watch the cancer that is top 10 lists).

It's not like the name you use to refer to something fundamentally changes it. Calling someone an idiot/genius is just a description, it doesn't actually change his IQ.
BurningSpiritSep 21, 2017 10:42 PM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 21, 2017 10:43 PM

Mar 2015
suzuya_mitsuko said:
The definition of anime itself is still varied. There will be no definitive answer for your question as long there's no definitive answer defined for what anime is.

For Chinese Cartoon, it simply just because we don't coin a term for it yet. If we really care enough, there's should be distinguishable term for each animation, just like Manga, Manhwa and Manhua.

it's called donghua and for koreans it's aeni... it was japan like to westernizazed everything in the meiji era whre japan animation starting to rise, thus it's taken from western word animation......
Sep 22, 2017 2:04 AM

Sep 2015
I literally just came here to ask if Voltron was considered anime lol.
Sep 22, 2017 5:01 AM

Feb 2013
pedro_guerrero said:
Hello have anyone watch isekai wa smartphone also wondering is there is a website to read light novel in their orinigal langauge like japanese.
If it possible to translate that original language light novel with Google translate and if not that will.Has to actually translate into understandable sentence not nonsense
whenever you look for novel translations, i suggest this site:
http://www.novelupdates.com/series/in-a-different-world-with-a-smartphone/

if you want japanese language you could probably google [the name in japanese] + RAW or PDF or smth like that
Sep 22, 2017 6:01 AM

Jul 2016
Only Japanese Animation should be considered anime on MAL, and in the anime Community.
Sep 22, 2017 7:24 AM

Oct 2016
As long as my list stays Jap voiced y'all silly fuckers can play whatever stupid semantics games ya want.
Sep 22, 2017 11:52 AM

Mar 2016
Anime is a Japanese term for hand-drawn or computer animation. So actually american animation is anime
Sep 22, 2017 2:09 PM

Aug 2009
Nyah_Chan said:
Aye~

Serious question... With Netflix, Amazon etc beginning to dip its toes into the anime industry, will it ever be possible for an animation produced in the U.S to be considered anime? Or more like, will it be accepted by the community as an anime? Such as appearing on this site etc...

I know it is technically not "anime" since it won't be produced in Japan, but the idea of "anime" doesn't have set boundaries thus a U.S animation could be considered an anime by the industry or community... Hence the debate whether shows such as RWBY and Castlevania should be considered anime...

To the Japanese sure American animation is anime. To those outside of Japan the answer is no. Because outside of Japan the term anime refers to Japanese made cartoons made primarily for a Japanese audience.
Sep 22, 2017 2:10 PM

Sep 2009
When we go back in time and make Japan defeat America in WWII.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 22, 2017 2:18 PM

May 2015
Never because without the distinction between the "mature" anime and the "childish" cartoons anime fans wouldn't be special anymore.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2017 2:36 PM

Dec 2012
No, just like apples will never be considered to be oranges. They're two different fruits from separate trees.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 23, 2017 12:14 AM

Aug 2017
Kuma said:

it's called donghua and for koreans it's aeni... it was japan like to westernizazed everything in the meiji era whre japan animation starting to rise, thus it's taken from western word animation......

There's term already for it? Well.. I guess it's not widely know for now.

Now, I think it just up to people wether they want to differentiate the animation just like manga or being ignorant and stick with just anime.

For me, it should be different, but it takes times to persuade people because not so many korean and Chinese animation are widely known. Plus, there's only a little differences on animation, beside the dub.

Nyu said:
Only Japanese Animation should be considered anime on MAL, and in the anime Community.

Well, I'm sure I already seen some Chinese, Korean (even North Korea) animation on MAL.

And here's some clip from DB Guidelines :
Section I: Anime Additions

1. The following entries are allowed in the anime database:
Professionally produced, animated works created:
in Japan for the Japanese market;
in Korea/China for the Korean/Chinese market;
as a joint production between Japan/Korea/China and another country.
Note: This does not include productions where only the animation is outsourced.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=515957

From that I think I can safely say that Anime definition on MAL is "East Asian" Animation.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles

More topics from this board

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 3 )

rohan121 - May 9

125 by Trimethylglycine »»
2 minutes ago

» Every anime viewer has gone through this phase:

9765 - 1 hour ago

11 by bebsicat »»
2 minutes ago

» why is myanimelist aka mal not popular in china?

deg - 15 minutes ago

4 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
6 minutes ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - May 10

99 by Trimethylglycine »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » should characters be smart or mature for you to enjoy them?

deg - 10 hours ago

18 by E-Satie »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.