Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2017 1:07 PM

Oct 2016
So i have watched anime for a bit over a year now and in that time i have seen 280 shows but now i havent been able to find any shows that i want to watch and i hate i still love anime and i want to keep watching it so if you have any ideas on how i can enjoy anime again please let me know or even suggest some of your fav anime and i'll try and watch them. Thank you
Sep 20, 2017 1:11 PM

Apr 2016
Just give up, there's no point to pretend anymore.
Sep 20, 2017 1:16 PM
Jul 2018
Jojo, Berserk. Sorry, I've only watched popular ones.
Sep 20, 2017 1:19 PM

Jan 2014
Wouldn't this go under the Recommendations thread?

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 20, 2017 1:19 PM

Nov 2014
Take a break, you might just feel burnt out
Then after a month or more then you might be interested in watching it again
No point in forcing yourself
Sep 20, 2017 1:20 PM

Jul 2016
ZaFsii said:

This, that's what I was about to say. Maybe you watched just too much anime at a time and you got saturated. Try watching some TV shows, playing video games or whatever you enjoy doing and you might fall in love with anime again.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Sep 20, 2017 1:22 PM

Apr 2013
Take a break, that's what I do when I get overwhelmed and tired from reviewing a bunch of Metal albums, it's very rare for every album I listen to being a "gem" but eh, probably the factor that I've been doing it for years also comes into play.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Sep 20, 2017 1:24 PM

Jul 2015
Probably you need a break. I lost interest in anime over a year ago, and recently, started watching again. I suggest you should do the same.
Sep 20, 2017 1:24 PM

Oct 2016
INU4SH4 said:
ZaFsii said:

This, that's what I was about to say. Maybe you watched just too much anime at a time and you got saturated. Try watching some TV shows, playing video games or whatever you enjoy doing and you might fall in love with anime again.
Yeah i'll give it a shot but even when im playing games or whatever all i can think about is anime then i stop playing the game to look for an anime to watch and i never do ;-; thanks tho i'll take a break.
Sep 20, 2017 2:04 PM

Feb 2013
ideally you should always have 1000+ shows you want to watch

go check you're favourite anime's tvtropes page, author, director, studio, etc for more ideas
Sep 20, 2017 2:09 PM

Oct 2014
I am pretty much the only one who says it but HOLY DAM YOU WATCHED 280 Anime series in just over a year?? How do you do that?

I suggest you take a break for a while, or just slow down and go outside sometimes (if you haven't done that)
Sep 20, 2017 2:10 PM

Feb 2015
Then read hentai/doujinshi of the series you want. Actually, after I finish watching The iDOLM@STER, I'll read the doujinshi for the pleasure and fapping experience...

Certainly expecting a quality fap material either from Haruka or Makoto, but I think Iori would certainly be good too...
Sep 20, 2017 2:14 PM

Jan 2009
sounds like a burnout lol i mean 280 anime shows in just a year is a lot so ye just take a break
Sep 20, 2017 2:19 PM
Jul 2018
id recommend stop watching anything seasonal and TV types and instead watch some movies or 80-90s OVAs.
Sep 20, 2017 8:53 PM

Aug 2016
Jack_100HP said:
id recommend stop watching anything seasonal and TV types and instead watch some movies or 80-90s OVAs.

I second this as a suggestion.

@Davls, out of the nearly 350 shows you've watched or started, 244 (70.5%) of them are from this decade. That's a huge amount. The past decade has a lot of good shows but the huge increase in anime produced per year since the late '00s has meant a massive amount of streamlining with regards to content, tropes and cliches, and as a result, mediocrity to go along with it.

That doesn't mean that older shows aren't without their tropes and cliches. It just means that there's more of it simply because of the greater volume of modern anime compared to the past.

Check out some of the highest rated shows of the 1980s and 1990s. Go for some OVAs and films instead of long-running series. I noticed you've only seen a single Miyazaki flick made before 2000--check out other films like Laputa or the seminal Nausicaa. Look up Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Ninja Scroll. Watch Gunbuster and Otaku no Video. You might not like all of the stuff I'm recommending, but you probably will at least like some of it.

Also, slow down your rate of consumption. The problem with watching (and completing) 280 shows in the course of a year is that you aren't giving these shows enough time to really sink in. They current industry model in Japan treats anime as a disposable commodity and effectively spams content onto the airwaves. This may result in a wide variety of shows but not many are going to have the long-term staying power that shows of the past might have.

Therefore, pace yourself. Watch fewer shows over a longer period of time. Also, start rewatching shows you really liked. Spend time with other hobbies as well. All of these suggestions will probably lessen your burnout.
Sep 20, 2017 9:16 PM

May 2012
That is way too much anime for one year. At my peak I'd do a bit over a 100 and I thought that was an insane amount. Breaks do wonder when you are burnt out from anime. That's If you feel like watching anime is becoming a chore. And that happens when you sink in too much at once. Go 2-3 months without watching anything and trust me you're going to start missing it.
Sep 20, 2017 9:22 PM
Super Saiyan

May 2017
Just take a break. Wait until you find your self wanting to watch anime again. This has happened to me a few times, I know what your talking about. I just take a break, don't set a time period, just stop and at some point, a few weeks, a month maybe a year, you'll find that your craving to watch anime, not a specific one but just anime in general. Plus the longer the break the more new anime that would have come out that may interest you. Just don't force it because it shouldn't feel like work.
Sep 20, 2017 9:24 PM

Oct 2016
don't listen ti the quitters. double down on your anime viewing and mix in alcohol.
Sep 20, 2017 9:33 PM

Jul 2015
Honestly it's a phase that I'm sure almost all of us go through. I started watching 2 years ago, seen around 170+ anime so far, and even I've felt like been slowly losing interest in anime lol. The fact of the matter is, if you lose interest, then move on. If you don't, then go do some research and look for other anime to watch or something. Based on this thread, I'm getting the vibe that you probably feel like you don't want to lose interest. I mean really, I don't think you can really control whether something interests you or not. It just sort of comes naturally.

caught in the wonder
Sep 20, 2017 9:49 PM

Jun 2013
280 shows a bit over a year that says by itself you should watch anime whenever you feel like don't make it look like it's an important commitment.
Sep 20, 2017 9:52 PM

Apr 2017
I took a complete month break from anime before starting to watch some new shows. Before taking a break I was getting really bores of some of the anime I was watching but after taking a month break, I felt refreshed and interested in anime again.
Sep 20, 2017 10:00 PM

Sep 2017
I think you could be burned out 'cause you watched one genre of anime. So, my advice is this: diversify the genres you're watching. Getting tired of watching action episode anime for now? Watch a comedy then. Like, change it up.
Sep 20, 2017 10:06 PM

Aug 2009
And now you'll have more time to do important things instead of wasting it on Chinese cartoons.

You are all free now!

Sep 20, 2017 10:29 PM
Jul 2012
But you just saw a "10/10" movie yesterday, are you really that bored

Take a break that's always what do to when you get tired of something. You haven't seen so much great stuff that you got lots of reasons to be excited for anime tbh. You haven't even watched end of eva cmon
Sep 20, 2017 10:40 PM

Jan 2010
Davls said:
So i have watched anime for a bit over a year now and in that time i have seen 280 shows but now i havent been able to find any shows that i want to watch and i hate i still love anime and i want to keep watching it so if you have any ideas on how i can enjoy anime again please let me know or even suggest some of your fav anime and i'll try and watch them. Thank you

Um, just take a break.

I was on hiatus for two years and just got back for a few months now.

Or you can finally save yourself and be free from this hell.
Sep 21, 2017 3:34 PM

Dec 2015
Well I watch Kdramas some periods ^^ I can recommend you to watch kdramas or read manga in a period instead to watch anime. There a lot of great manga that don't have an anime :)
Sep 21, 2017 3:48 PM

Oct 2014
I get how you feel its like youre in a desert and youre squeezing this lemon called anime for a few more drops. I think there are still drops left you just need to search harder and be a bit more open minded.

I watched some shit the other day which Id skipped over many times because it looked retarded but it actually turned out to be a 9/10 for me. I just search by rating and go down the list. There's always something more, 280 isnt the end of the road!
Sep 21, 2017 5:01 PM

Sep 2014
Maybe you're just going to watch anime in a more regular pace. 280 shows in a bit more than a year is intense. Slow down a little, you'll eventually find new anime to watch. You have not seen many anime yet.
Sep 21, 2017 7:51 PM

Jul 2015
Davls said:

Take a break from anime for a while or simply reduce the amount you watch to one series a month or week.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - Apr 26

23 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

64 by CosmicDebris-San »»
12 minutes ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - Yesterday

13 by LostSpectre »»
25 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 11 hours ago

34 by Spunkert »»
29 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - Yesterday

32 by Abomination_suah »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.