Forum Settings
Forums

Can we stop with this whole "alpha", "beta", "pussy", "white knight" MC BS?

New
Sep 4, 2017 7:12 AM

Nov 2012
Like seriously. what does being a beta or alpha or whatever have to do with being a good MC?

Why isn't the MC allowed to have personal weaknesses without someone calling him a "pussy" for it (which is a pretty sexist term if you ask me).

So maybe some main characters have insecurities interacting with girls, why is that a bad thing? Are you upset he doesn't want to confess his love or have sex with the female character you like as soon as possible? Well too bad, but the MC isn't You, he doesn't have to act the way you want him to be.

You blame the MC for being "dense" and not noticing the feelings of girls, while saying nothing about girls who keep their feelings hidden for the entire show.

As for the generic "Why would any girl like such a loser/beta" criticism. well, what's wrong with liking him? Maybe she likes him because he seems like good person, they like a guy who's shy or looks normal? Who are you say that their reasons are stupid simply because he's not a stereotypical alpha male?

Me personally, All I wish for is for the protagonist to be a good person who respects personal boundaries and treats people with love and respect, I dislike bad people and perverted type of characters who do whatever they please with women without caring about their privacy and asking consent, even if the have more "personality" (whatever the fuck that means) than your average shy romance protagonist.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 4, 2017 7:14 AM

Mar 2015
people like to generelize stuff and attached it with the name they can understand, then judge with their prefference... that's part human nature... really...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 4, 2017 7:15 AM
May 2015
beta mcs for beta cuck watchers smh need good shows
Sep 4, 2017 7:16 AM

Jan 2014
You make a very valid point here. Stereotypes in general need to die.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 4, 2017 7:18 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i just look at the girls.. i really don't care what the main character can be labeled as...
Sep 4, 2017 7:20 AM

Nov 2012
dead-eye said:

Why do you think only "beta cuck watchers" can enjoy a show with a "beta mc"?
Sep 4, 2017 7:21 AM

Jul 2015
i dont mind a beta mc if he have some good qualities and chose the best girl

i agree 100% with the last paragraph
Sep 4, 2017 7:26 AM

Jun 2008
I also think it's stupid.

My biggest complain is the "Dense MC" tho....sometimes it's TOO much.

Look at Infinite Stratos for a good example of what I'm talking about....the show is ruined by how fucking stupid the MC is.

I understand that males are not always able to know if a girl likes them or not, because society expects the male to ask the girl out and whatever, but Jesus Christ....don't make it so fucking obvious to the point where we dislike the MC for being a blithering idiot!

Sep 4, 2017 7:27 AM
Aug 2017
We litteraly think the same way . This is complete bullsh*t and those who use these labels ... you should think what You would do in those situations . Not everyone can enter the frickin robot right away .
Sep 4, 2017 7:28 AM

Mar 2012
What's wrong with being good person anyway?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 4, 2017 7:32 AM

Apr 2014
Can we stop with being annoyed by threads that some people find interesting?
Sep 4, 2017 7:33 AM

May 2014
I agree with you on this, the MC should be able to act however they want as long as it makes sense for them to do so. If the show allows for them to act in a certain way, then I don't see why anyone should complain about it just because it doesn't fit their vision of how a character should act.

--ALEX-- said:

Look at Infinite Stratos for a good example of what I'm talking about....the show is ruined by how fucking stupid the MC is.
I was just about to say that, Ichika is way too stupid and dense for his own good and it ruins his character and his interactions with the others.
Sep 4, 2017 7:42 AM

Jun 2008
NeoAnkara said:
What's wrong with being good person anyway?

It's the whole "Nice Guys finish last" thing...

The whole Alpha vs Beta thing is supposed to be that Alphas take command and get what they want, while Betas are too reserved.

When talking about relationships, the stereotype is that Betas can't get with girls due to their reserved nature.

Usually Betas are "Nice guys".
Sep 4, 2017 7:48 AM
Jul 2018
It is simple actually, people want 'wish fulfilment', they are just do not want to admit it. That is why they whine about "beta MCs" because they want an "alpha" so they can insert into him for the sake of their own wish fulfilment.

As for myself I don't care what type of MC there is.
Sep 4, 2017 7:51 AM

Oct 2015
I for one find it annoying when people complain about more 'emotional' MCs such as shinji (though I haven't seen evangelion so I apologise if I'm incorrect) and, from what I've seen, midoriya from bnha. Because for some reason just because a character cries and gets emotional it makes them a 'pussy' and 'weak', even if said characters have actual reasons to be this emotional.

But I agree, people need to stop railing on MCs that have insecurities or weaknesses. In most cases these MCs have more personality than 'alpha MCs'. Perhaps it's something to do with self-insert.
Sep 4, 2017 7:56 AM

Oct 2015
Show with beta mc takes my more interest to be honest,
dead-eye said:

you only being cuck if you watch NTR show my brah ....
Sep 4, 2017 8:04 AM

Aug 2017
I agree and disagree with you.

SuperRed said:
Like seriously. what does being a beta or alpha or whatever have to do with being a good MC?

Why isn't the MC allowed to have personal weaknesses without someone calling him a "pussy" for it (which is a pretty sexist term if you ask me).

It's not like it's not allowed. More like the beta trope (Alpha : superior/badass/easy on woman, Beta vice versa) is overused and being a cheap plot device. The effect of this is the novelty will worn out fast and make it bland.

So maybe some main characters have insecurities interacting with girls, why is that a bad thing?

It's not bad, being dense is not a bad thing too, but *refer to first answer about overused*

Are you upset he doesn't want to confess his love or have sex with the female character you like as soon as possible? Well too bad, but the MC isn't You, he doesn't have to act the way you want him to be.

The problem is people (now?) mostly projecting themselves as the MC. They doesn't fit, they hate it. I agree with you, it's pretty dumb. Not everything show intended like this. But, harem (the usual case for this dense thing) is mostly intended to make the viewer project themselves in the show.

You blame the MC for being "dense" and not noticing the feelings of girls, while saying nothing about girls who keep their feelings hidden for the entire show.

No, I blame every unreasonable stupid character, regardless the gender.

As for the generic "Why would any girl like such a loser/beta" criticism. well, what's wrong with liking him? Maybe she likes him because he seems like good person, they like a guy who's shy or looks normal? Who are you say that their reasons are stupid simply because he's not a stereotypical alpha male?

It's not wrong, really, I agree with you, nothing wrong with flawed char. But, the progress here mostly really short. Like, "Pass the butter." Then "She talk to me, OMG!”

Ok, it's exaggerated, but the point still stand. It's cheap. It's stupid.

Me personally, All I wish for is for the protagonist to be a good person who respects personal boundaries and treats people with love and respect, I dislike bad people and perverted type of characters who do whatever they please with women without caring about their privacy and asking consent, even if the have more "personality" (whatever the fuck that means) than your average shy romance protagonist.

Glad you like character like that, I really mean it. But again, it just matter of preference.

Here tl;dr too :

Kuma said:
people like to generelize stuff and attached it with the name they can understand, then judge with their prefference... that's part human nature... really...
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles

Apr 2017
EcchiKingMamster said:
i just look at the girls.. i really don't care what the main character can be labeled as...

I remember seeing hikigaya hachiman on your favorites once ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Apr 2017
SuperRed said:
Then you're suited to watch 99% of anime because they mainly have the boring knob you like.
Sep 4, 2017 8:05 AM

Jun 2015
Plenty of characters are idealized versions of certain values. I think these terms are applicable most of the time. The good/bad are just a matter of perspective.
Sep 4, 2017 8:44 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
S-quare22 said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

I remember seeing hikigaya hachiman on your favorites once ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't even know who the fuck that is loooool
Sep 4, 2017 8:48 AM

Feb 2015
Is it just me or if you add the "isekai' term this could be the most successful thread in a while?
Sep 4, 2017 8:50 AM

Apr 2017
SuperRed said:
dead-eye said:

Why do you think only "beta cuck watchers" can enjoy a show with a "beta mc"?
Because no one can stand watching someone so pathetic unless they relate to said character
Sep 4, 2017 8:56 AM

Oct 2014
That is because most of them are not Shinji Hikari to be honest.
Sep 4, 2017 8:58 AM

Jan 2010
Yep, characters with flaws is definitely much better than your alpha Gray Stu.
As long as they are not overly stupid or dense.

Also, crybaby/emotional =/= pussy/weak
Sep 4, 2017 9:02 AM

Apr 2017
Kuma said:

+ 10 HUMAN NATURE INDEED :D........

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 4, 2017 9:05 AM

Apr 2017
Biased pls...?

It's still generic duh?... and none of that even matters

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 4, 2017 9:06 AM

Aug 2014

_Ako_ said:
Is it just me or if you add the "isekai' term this could be the most successful thread in a while?

Apparently isekai stuff becoming a trend of a topic due huge popularity in anime/manga/light novel.

SuperRed said:

So maybe some main characters have insecurities interacting with girls, why is that a bad thing? Are you upset he doesn't want to confess his love or have sex with the female character you like as soon as possible? Well too bad, but the MC isn't You, he doesn't have to act the way you want him to be.

I'll hand this down to how they act and as long its reasonable.
Theres a limit of how dense a character unless they designed to be one with satisfying outcome and plot related.

Character strenght is based on their progress on the story no matter how bad they look or generic they're.

Heres an example ,
Touma Kamijou > Have nothing unique about his looks,Also Dense, Pretty much common people personality, Then Development showed up with his background story + he becomes more differences depends on the story evolved.

For The girls we are hinted with alot of tsundere type with basically 0 development with the MC.
See nisekoi, Theres alot of scene where the heroines got alot of time spent for MC together, yet none of them actually making progress to win the mc heart.
I'll pick Onodora, you cant expect this kind of girl to confess. What should she do? Make a progress, do something about it, help mc, at least give the MC hint for their hidden feelings, befriend with other girls (well..), or anything.
Theres abit of problem with Harem Genre.
The question lies on
- What happen if MC pick on the girls?
- How will MC React if he got confessed instead, Choose her? Turn off? Go for harem?
- If the other girls agree to share would the mc go for harem ending? or perhaps single ending? This only apply to fantasy/supernatural/scifi not slice of life.
- How long they're going to drag the Harem Cliche?
Sep 4, 2017 9:28 AM

Sep 2012
SuperRed said:

Me personally

No that is why we cant "stop with this whole "alpha", "beta", "pussy", "white knight" MC BS?"

You have your opinion about this matter. You dont care when every girl in the show literally want sex with MC while MC thinks he is lonely or never going to find love. That is fine. But I like to call them with "braindead" tag sorry. Just for that I can even drop the show or lover its score.

Thanks for the input about your opinions.
Sep 4, 2017 9:56 AM

Nov 2011
Agreeing with this. I'll definitely enjoy the story more if the MC has traits I like, but as long as they are essentially what you described in the last paragraph they're good enough for me.

Sep 4, 2017 9:57 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
tbh Gamma MCs are where it's at

alpha and beta are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo overrated

Sep 4, 2017 10:06 AM

Nov 2012
sasalx said:
SuperRed said:

Me personally

You have your opinion about this matter. You dont care when every girl in the show literally want sex with MC while MC thinks he is lonely or never going to find love. That is fine. But I like to call them with "braindead" tag sorry. Just for that I can even drop the show or lover its score.

I never said such a thing, stop putting words in my mouth.
Sep 4, 2017 10:19 AM

Nov 2012
RnDNEET021 said:
Biased pls...?

It's still generic duh?... and none of that even matters

badass, normal, loser, brave, whiny, etc. all of them have become overdone by this point. All you can do is compare between the same kind of character and say which ones are done better.
Sep 4, 2017 10:30 AM

Apr 2016
No we cant, lets call those stupid characters with nicks they deserve. Someone must to.

SuperRed said:

@tragedydesu this is something you should agree 100%.
Sep 4, 2017 10:32 AM

Sep 2009
I prefer the gamma MC who just wants to make everything die.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 4, 2017 10:37 AM

Jul 2015
Swagernator said:
No we cant, lets call those stupid characters with nicks they deserve. Someone must to.

SuperRed said:

@tragedydesu this is something you should agree 100%.

nah i dont agree
danderes will never wins no matter what even if they confess or even when they sacrifice the shit out of their life for the mc

just watch Koi to uso , is a good example of what will happens to Onodera if she confessed earlier
she will suffer even more

btw tsunderes also keep their feelings hidden the entire show
Sep 4, 2017 10:43 AM

Apr 2017
an ALPHA MC you say??????????????????????????????
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Sep 4, 2017 10:45 AM

Apr 2016
tragedydesu said:
just watch Koi to uso

That's like wish for someone's death.
Sep 4, 2017 10:47 AM

Feb 2014
Because it gets tiring when every other MC (at least in some genres) is one of these stereotypes. A lot of anime with these kinds of characters use them as a crutch, since these cookie cutter characters are easier to write, rather than genuinely explore these archetypes and their flaws by giving them actual believable personalities and depth.
Sep 4, 2017 10:49 AM

Jul 2015
Swagernator said:
tragedydesu said:
just watch Koi to uso

That's like wish for someone's death.

lmao

i just want for people who keep saying "is onodera fault for not confessing earlier" to watch it then stfu
Sep 4, 2017 10:50 AM

Mar 2016
SuperRed said:

Your preference tho. Not ours. When I watch Infinite Stratos and see Ichika be abnormally stupid in his interaction with girls, I find it annoying. Why? Because not only is it unrealistic for a normal, mentally stable teenage boy to not recognize any of the blatant cues dropped by a set of horny girls, it is also particularly boring to watch when I see the same formula repeated ad nauseam. I mean yeah the girls keep their feelings hidden a times, but they aren't very good at it in the shows. And I must wonder how if a girl pushes you down on a bed, strips and starts coming on to you, you will not even think that she just maybe maybe maybe maybe might be into you. That's exactly why it's slightly refreshing when you watch a harem anime with a pervy protagonist (though even those have become tiresome because there are so many).

I mean, I guess some protagonists would be swell people in real life, but that isn't very important when we're talking fiction. One of my favorite characters regularly tortures people, trolls them into doing abominable stuff and seems to enjoy doing it. Now, I love her for it. She's entertaining. That's all that really matters when it comes to fiction. If there were a hundred characters like her I would likely find her irritating because she wouldn't be unique. When I say I dislike Raku Ichijo for being dense it's because his denseness is partly responsible for dragging a mediocre story into something that was poisonous to read. He could be Buddha for all I care but I'm not going to admire his fictional existence when he ruined my experience by being unentertaining.

The average "beta", "dense" protagonist, however, isn't unique. He's the latest in line of a million and one copies of low-grade effort. I mean, I guess he's a good guy, but his fictitious nice deeds don't really affect anyone in the real world so I'm not going to be impressed by them.
Sep 4, 2017 10:51 AM

Apr 2016
tragedydesu said:
i just want for people who keep saying "is onodera fault for not confessing earlier" to watch it then stfu

Well, blame the medium not the people.
Sep 4, 2017 10:55 AM

Sep 2012
SuperRed said:
sasalx said:

I never said such a thing, stop putting words in my mouth.

Well I simplified your whole text into one sentence. Let me do the same for me.

TheDeadApostle said:

Your preference tho. Not ours.
Sep 4, 2017 11:34 AM

Nov 2014
Completely agree with you unless we're talking about amano from Mirai Nikki
Sep 4, 2017 11:43 AM

Mar 2017
Well that actually depends on a case-by-case basis. There's the overdone plot contrivance intended to prolong the story and then there's Edmure Tully, easily one of the most misunderstood and maligned characters in A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones franchise.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 4, 2017 11:43 AM

Mar 2016
alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta, eta, theta, iota, kappa, lamda...

greek alphabet, that's all I can think of
Sep 4, 2017 12:06 PM

Apr 2017
Besides the term, White Knight I just going to assume we talking about Male Harem Leads?.

Stop giving these "beta" and "pussy" MC harems and people won't whine about them as much. Ugh, if a show is going to go with the idea of making this guy a chick magnet then people expect him to be good at interacting with women. People expect the Harem MC to be above average if he able to get most or entire female cast to love him.

The harem is trying to sell the idea that an average dude or some random loser who too afraid or too shy to interact with women is somehow is able to get most if not every single female character to love him with little to no effort on his part? Anime is fictional, but that just too unbelievable for some people.

Even worse is sometimes it's just seem like the girls just fall in love with MC just because he the main character. At least the anime can go into greater detail on why each and every girl is falling in love with him.

Dense - Reason why people complain about Dense MC is because in anime, the girls around him tend to make very obvious that she interested in him even if she doesn't out right and said she likes the guy. There is point where it's become unbelievable to actually believe that MC is really that dense.

------

For White Knight characters, I'm going assume when people complain about them when.

A. You have a female character who is fully capable of defending herself, but the guy doesn't want to harm or even hit her. The girl actually wants to fight? Nope the guy still won't take her seriously. The girl trying kill him? This guy still won't fight her. This just gets annoying to watch especially in anime with plenty of action and fighting.

B. Before meeting the male MC, the female character clearly knows how to take care of herself, but for some reason the Male MC treats her like she some helpless idiot who can't do anything on her own. Why? Stop treating her like a baby.
Sep 4, 2017 12:20 PM

Jan 2013
I mean, I never really utilized the terminology to begin with.
So sure. I don't see why not.

On a side note, do people actually perceive things in terms of alpha or beta, regularly?
Is that actually a norm for people living their life right now? (I mean here specifically)
Sep 4, 2017 12:59 PM

Nov 2012
TheDeadApostle said:
SuperRed said:

Your preference tho. Not ours. When I watch Infinite Stratos and see Ichika be abnormally stupid in his interaction with girls, I find it annoying. Why? Because not only is it unrealistic for a normal, mentally stable teenage boy to not recognize any of the blatant cues dropped by a set of horny girls, it is also particularly boring to watch when I see the same formula repeated ad nauseam. I mean yeah the girls keep their feelings hidden a times, but they aren't very good at it in the shows. And I must wonder how if a girl pushes you down on a bed, strips and starts coming on to you, you will not even think that she just maybe maybe maybe maybe might be into you. That's exactly why it's slightly refreshing when you watch a harem anime with a pervy protagonist (though even those have become tiresome because there are so many).

I mean, I guess some protagonists would be swell people in real life, but that isn't very important when we're talking fiction. One of my favorite characters regularly tortures people, trolls them into doing abominable stuff and seems to enjoy doing it. Now, I love her for it. She's entertaining. That's all that really matters when it comes to fiction. If there were a hundred characters like her I would likely find her irritating because she wouldn't be unique. When I say I dislike Raku Ichijo for being dense it's because his denseness is partly responsible for dragging a mediocre story into something that was poisonous to read. He could be Buddha for all I care but I'm not going to admire his fictional existence when he ruined my experience by being unentertaining.

The average "beta", "dense" protagonist, however, isn't unique. He's the latest in line of a million and one copies of low-grade effort. I mean, I guess he's a good guy, but his fictitious nice deeds don't really affect anyone in the real world so I'm not going to be impressed by them.

Using the low hanging fruit of bad harem protagonists to counter my opinion doesn't mean much.

The average "alpha" protagonist isn't more original than the average "beta" either.
Sep 4, 2017 1:05 PM

Jan 2014
SuperRed said:
TheDeadApostle said:

Using the low hanging fruit of bad harem protagonists to counter my opinion doesn't mean much.

The average "alpha" protagonist isn't more original than the average "beta" either.

Definitely much more enjoyable to watch tho.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What device(s) do you watch anime content on?

DesuMaiden - 7 hours ago

40 by Coldsp33d »»
2 minutes ago

» Constant need to keep up ( 1 2 )

Cammell - May 16

58 by Coldsp33d »»
3 minutes ago

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - May 16

74 by Coldsp33d »»
4 minutes ago

» What happened to the CrunchyRoll forum? Did it go offline?

DesuMaiden - May 15

29 by Coldsp33d »»
5 minutes ago

» Since anime fans today are weaklings and easily triggered, if Berserk were to be adapted properly today, do you think it would receive many complains?

Rinrinka - Yesterday

33 by Zamus_Edits »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.