Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 5, 2017 2:06 PM

Apr 2013
So this forum was inspired by a recent video that Digibro posted on his Music channel, "Digibro's Turntable" (can check it out here, I honestly find him to be more chill and cool on this channel rather than his main one tbh LOL https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKW5hZSMUhB0fV6OGeSdAYQ) it was titled "My TOP 5 EXTREME METAL Songs" where Digi explains his top 5 favorite Extreme Metal songs (bands that are included in the list are Cynic, Mirrorthrone, Gojira, Mastodon, and Blind Guardian, can check the video here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pn3nwQXLjk&t=0s) thing is as a man who is quite knowledgeable in Metal, the likes of Blind Guardian and Mastodon being categorized into Extreme Metal felt a bit strange to me... until Digi commented to me that he found the songs to be pretty "Extreme" from how loud and aggressive they were (which OK I can get, ASIDE FROM CYNIC'S SONG, "THE SPACE FOR THIS" ISN'T HEAVY AT ALL WELL IT'S METAL BUT IT'S BEAUTIFUL TBH) so I just decided to make this forum and ask all of you... what is your favorite song that you consider to be "extreme?" Any genre is fine as long as if you find that song you like to be "Extreme."

I'm gonna go ahead and share a song I love which can actually be categorized as "Extreme Metal" (well technically Brutal TechDeath) the song is Suffocation's "Liege Of Inveracity" from their 1991 debut album "Effigy Of The Forgotten." I really consider Dir En Grey to be the band that got me ready for Extreme Metal but Suffocation and this song... the 1st time I heard that Slam riff at 2:50 minutes into the song... That's when I knew... I loved Slamming Brutal Death Metal lol (sadly I had to go through a lot of trash bands to find some Slam gems but I found em!) so I really hope you dudes can share your favorite "Extreme" songs too! Thanks for taking the time to look at this forum and stuff

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 5, 2017 4:02 PM

Jun 2015
I like death metal.

Aug 5, 2017 5:33 PM

Mar 2010
Whenever someone says "extreme" I can't help but think of

lmao

But anyway, I've long since given up on any form of discussion about describing metal (and yeah, rock) music, whether that be categorizing into genres or arguing if something can be described as something else. Such discussions would always produce a certain individual who would stubbornly push his opinion as facts.
*cough* not looking at anyone from this thread *cough*

But then again, extreme metal only serves as an umbrella term for other subgenres and to be honest, I'm not a big fan of any of those that by default fall under it anymore.

Aug 5, 2017 5:44 PM

Apr 2013
null said:
Whenever someone says "extreme" I can't help but think of

lmao

But anyway, I've long since given up on any form of discussion about describing metal (and yeah, rock) music, whether that be categorizing into genres or arguing if something can be described as something else. Such discussions would always produce a certain individual who would stubbornly push his opinion as facts.
*cough* not looking at anyone from this thread *cough*

But then again, extreme metal only serves as an umbrella term for other subgenres and to be honest, I'm not a big fan of any of those that by default fall under it anymore.

You're looking at me aren't you?... come on... It's stated that only certain Metal genres fall under the "Extreme Metal" category... but whatever, it doesn't matter too much to me, just you know... facts or else Metal Elitists will roast you lol

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 5, 2017 6:10 PM

Mar 2010
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

You're looking at me aren't you?... come on... It's stated that only certain Metal genres fall under the "Extreme Metal" category... but whatever, it doesn't matter too much to me, just you know... facts or else Metal Elitists will roast you lol

Nope, the other person :p

Aug 5, 2017 6:14 PM

Jul 2011

the only extreme music you need
Aug 5, 2017 6:17 PM

Apr 2013
null said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

Nope, the other person :p

OK lol, just kinda worried how I act with Metal and stuff because I might have caught some "Metal Elitism" when hanging out on too many KVLT METAL forums to find more new Black Metal bands lol (sadly one of my fave genres of Metal has to suffer with those fans RIP)

Ascended Taste
Aug 5, 2017 8:10 PM

Aug 2017
This thread's 'extreme' is like little baby
Watch this!

Aug 6, 2017 9:17 AM
Jul 2018
Grave Miasma - Gnosis of the Summon

Please do yourself a favor by checking out this track.
Aug 6, 2017 9:44 AM

Oct 2011
Extreme Metal... honestly to vauge a term for me but here are some trve tracks.

Carcass - Carbonized Eye Sockets
Celtic Frost - Into The Crypts of Rays
Morbid Angel - Maze of Torment
Immolation - Into Everlasting Fire
Terrorizer - Fear of Napalm
Aug 6, 2017 6:27 PM

Aug 2017
"What the F is wrong with You?" by Combichrist. Not going to post the YouTube cause it's rather explicit.
StockpileAug 6, 2017 6:32 PM
Aug 6, 2017 7:49 PM
Aug 2016
This came up to my mind.
Aug 6, 2017 10:42 PM

Mar 2008
I hate term extreme metal it differs way too much. I also suck at picking favourites especially since I like so many extreme metal genres. Probably wont be much Crust so ..

Nov 5, 2017 5:41 AM
Jul 2018
Celldweller - Uncrowned

Nov 5, 2017 2:09 PM

Apr 2015
I'm a noob with music so I honestly have no idea what's "extreme music" actually. Is it just a metal thing?

Maybe this is counted as extreme...? I like to listen to this stuff while drawing.

And maybe for rap horrocore is considered to be extreme too. That's what I generally listen to.

Nov 5, 2017 3:05 PM

Dec 2010
traed said:
I hate term extreme metal it differs way too much. I also suck at picking favourites especially since I like so many extreme metal genres. Probably wont be much Crust so ..

Great band.

urpoutta said:
I'm a noob with music so I honestly have no idea what's "extreme music" actually. Is it just a metal thing?

Maybe this is counted as extreme...? I like to listen to this stuff while drawing.

And maybe for rap horrocore is considered to be extreme too. That's what I generally listen to.

Defenitely extreme. Speedcore/terrorcore and so are defnitely extreme.

When I think about "Extreme metal" then I think about slow, abrassive doom things not brutal death, so. It drones your mind into despair. Khanate is one of the most inaccessible music out there.

Not that "extreme", but this is like drugs in music form. I have never done drugs, but am pretty sure this is the same level on insanity.

tearofmankindNov 5, 2017 3:10 PM
Nov 5, 2017 3:09 PM

Apr 2013
tearofmankind said:
traed said:

Great band.

urpoutta said:

Defenitely extreme. Speedcore/terrorcore and so are defnitely extreme.

When I think about "Extreme metal" then I think about slow, abrassive doom things not brutal death, so. It drones your mind into despair. Khanate is one of the most inaccessible music out there.

Not that "extreme", but this is like drugs in music form. I have never done drugs, but am pretty sure this is the same level on insanity.

I'm guessing along the lines of Funeral Doom or anything mixed with Sludge and Doom Metal fits your term of "Extreme Metal" eh? Well heh, I got something for you (gr8 bands btw)

Ascended Taste
Nov 5, 2017 3:20 PM

Dec 2010
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

I'm guessing along the lines of Funeral Doom or anything mixed with Sludge and Doom Metal fits your term of "Extreme Metal" eh? Well heh, I got something for you (gr8 bands btw)

Already listened to it. If it comes to doom/funeral then I am almost an expert, yet to be conquested on internet forums. You can try though. Not that I know every band, but a big amount of my metal collection is doom oriented.

- The riff is golden.

I also like original sound of industrial metal, the one coined by Godflesh. Something that mix death metal, true industrial and sludge.

Nov 5, 2017 3:42 PM

Nov 2008
Glad there are people on this damn forum that appreciates good extreme metal XD

These guys kill on this album, but this song really sets the tone!
PizzaholicNov 5, 2017 3:48 PM
Nov 6, 2017 9:32 AM

Apr 2015
@tearofmankind If you're ok with me asking, but what's the definition of extreme music really? Or does it vary between people and "extreme" is a label given by fans?
Nov 6, 2017 11:32 AM

Apr 2013
urpoutta said:
@tearofmankind If you're ok with me asking, but what's the definition of extreme music really? Or does it vary between people and "extreme" is a label given by fans?

Do you mind if I answer you? Well the term "Extreme" was give to a certain branch of Metal genres (Death Metal, Black Metal, Grindcore ect.) due to the way they sounded and some of the lyrical themes the songs within these genres contained. Overall I believe the way how a song sounds is the way you can precieve them as "Extreme" but so does lyrical themes, the genre of that song you posted contained Noise, Speedcore and Breakcore ofc these genres are considered Extreme (even their description calls them an "Extreme form of Electronic music") due to the way they sound.

Ascended Taste
Nov 6, 2017 3:25 PM

Apr 2015
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
urpoutta said:

Do you mind if I answer you? Well the term "Extreme" was give to a certain branch of Metal genres (Death Metal, Black Metal, Grindcore ect.) due to the way they sounded and some of the lyrical themes the songs within these genres contained. Overall I believe the way how a song sounds is the way you can precieve them as "Extreme" but so does lyrical themes, the genre of that song you posted contained Noise, Speedcore and Breakcore ofc these genres are considered Extreme (even their description calls them an "Extreme form of Electronic music") due to the way they sound.

I don't mind at all:) Okay I did expect it started from metal genre. I didn't really know which one has more importance, sound or lyrical themes and what they're compared to. Like could a pop song be extreme, if it differs a lot from usual pop music? Sorry if it's a stupid question.
Nov 6, 2017 3:27 PM

Apr 2017
y'all ready for some "brvtal" jams

mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Nov 6, 2017 5:03 PM

Apr 2013
urpoutta said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

I don't mind at all:) Okay I did expect it started from metal genre. I didn't really know which one has more importance, sound or lyrical themes and what they're compared to. Like could a pop song be extreme, if it differs a lot from usual pop music? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Nah, it's not a stupid question, you're just curious which is fine, Um there's "Extreme Pop Songs" you can find these type of Pop songs lurking within the Noise Pop genre or anything Experimental or Avant-garde, but anyhow most people will call a song "Extreme" by its sound but certainly lyrical themes can also come into play. So if you got a Pop song (like let's say Normal Pop) and it has the same lyrical themes as Cannibal Corpse, yep it's "Extreme" lol.

Ascended Taste
Nov 6, 2017 5:21 PM

Nov 2016

This one always gave me a bit of a laugh.

The term extreme metal was from my understanding just a term used for 'transgressive' metal subgenres. It'd be hard to pick a top five, that's for sure.

Bölvat es okkr, bróðir,
bani em ek þinn orðinn;
þat mun æ uppi;
illr er dómr norna.
-Hlöðskviða
(The Battle of the Goths and Huns)
Nov 8, 2017 4:31 AM

Apr 2015
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
urpoutta said:

Nah, it's not a stupid question, you're just curious which is fine, Um there's "Extreme Pop Songs" you can find these type of Pop songs lurking within the Noise Pop genre or anything Experimental or Avant-garde, but anyhow most people will call a song "Extreme" by its sound but certainly lyrical themes can also come into play. So if you got a Pop song (like let's say Normal Pop) and it has the same lyrical themes as Cannibal Corpse, yep it's "Extreme" lol.

Okay, thanks for explanation! I swear I tried to search this before asking but nothing really came up.
Nov 8, 2017 5:18 AM

Aug 2014
I love the hardest of the hard <3

Would love to discover some more hard EDM genres like hardstyle and hardcore >:3

@Aidoru-Ojisan: Since you seem to know your shit, do you know some more brutal/hard/rough/whatever EDM genres? :3
(cute avatar btw!)
Nov 8, 2017 6:00 AM

Aug 2015
I'm more into electronic, so:

Nov 8, 2017 6:04 AM

Mar 2016
This first one's not really "extreme" per se, but it has an extremely unique sound I think. Only because I've never heard folk/electronic music like this before:

THIS one, I would call extreme. In fact, the whole album is extreme but this is my first time listening to any of it other than the song I'm putting down here:

Start it at 21:22
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 8, 2017 9:46 AM

Apr 2013
Ardanaz said:
I love the hardest of the hard <3

Would love to discover some more hard EDM genres like hardstyle and hardcore >:3

@Aidoru-Ojisan: Since you seem to know your shit, do you know some more brutal/hard/rough/whatever EDM genres? :3
(cute avatar btw!)

Thanks for the compliment, yea I know my shit but not that much for the EDM genre rip, but anyhow here's two sites you can use to try finding more Extreme forms of EDM, personally I would recommend Breakcore, I would go ahead and recommend Igorrr but the dude mixes different genres into his stuff so not sure if it's what you're looking for anyhow. Hope I tried my best.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDM/comments/3gav3o/what_subgenre_of_electronic_music_is_the_heaviest/

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/758118-Really-dark-and-heavy-electronic-music

Ascended Taste
Nov 8, 2017 12:53 PM

Aug 2014
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
Thanks for the compliment, yea I know my shit but not that much for the EDM genre rip, but anyhow here's two sites you can use to try finding more Extreme forms of EDM, personally I would recommend Breakcore, I would go ahead and recommend Igorrr but the dude mixes different genres into his stuff so not sure if it's what you're looking for anyhow. Hope I tried my best.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDM/comments/3gav3o/what_subgenre_of_electronic_music_is_the_heaviest/

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/758118-Really-dark-and-heavy-electronic-music

Ooh I looked at the stuff. I find it more chill than rough though XD
I do like it :3
Nov 8, 2017 7:46 PM

Mar 2013
I like two types of extreme music.

First the slower chuggy kind (Slam)

And the more fast paced blast beat galore kind (Deathgrind)

AlfondNov 9, 2017 3:37 PM

Nov 8, 2017 10:16 PM
Apr 2014
I listen to a lot of death and black. It's hard for me to pick favorites though.
Nov 9, 2017 3:52 PM

Mar 2013
Gholy said:
I listen to a lot of death and black. It's hard for me to pick favorites though.

I especially liked Witchery from your list. Reminds me of 80's thrash metal.

Nov 10, 2017 5:41 AM

Dec 2010
urpoutta said:

This is a really complicated question.

Firstly, there is not a single "existing" genre that use "extreme" in its name. It is just a descriptor used to distinguish music that is unusual in some ways. Calling something extreme is the same thing as calling something "epic", "dark", or to stay in the same thematic area "brutal". You can not measure something as an extreme music because it is not measurable. Technical? Yes, sure. Progressive? Easy. Brutal? Extreme? Not possible.

To understand what does extreme means lets look at the dictionary definition "exceeding the bounds of moderation". So that means everything that differs a lot of from current standard can be seen as extreme. Extremely short, long, slow, fast songs? Extreme lyrical content, extreme stage antics. It is also very subjective, as for every person has different taste and to say it out loud, different noise tolerance. For some people only the heaviest of the metal music is extreme, but for most even heavy metal or hard rock is an extreme music genre. I am pretty sure that for example, your grandparents would think that some rap is extreme and noisy music. Or even modern pop with it fast, energetic beats and tempo.

What is important, is also to look at things called avant-garde. "Avant-garde music is music that is considered to be at the forefront of experimentation or innovation in its field, with the term "avant-garde" implying a critique of existing aesthetic conventions, rejection of the status quo in favor of unique or original elements, and the idea of deliberately challenging or alienating audiences." So in definition every avant-garde music is extreme to some extent. But what is going to happen if you strip off all the artistic pretensions? It is just extreme music.

Even classical music had its "extreme" version. For example Igor Stravisnky in his Pulcinella suite(1919/22) used a lot of tempo changes and even things as "broken melodies or chords". Back then it was seen as extreme or avant-garde if you want. The most commonly cited example of avant-garde music is John Cage's 4'33" (circa 1950). It is just silence, there is nothing, not even a single note. Then composers like Karlheinz Stockhausen en Iannis Xenakis had important influence on electronic/noise music. Iannis Xenakis for example wrote a piece that forced every orchestra member to play something different. To sum it up is sounds like a caccophony.

Back in the days things like rock and then punk were seen as "extreme" music. "This is just noise" said a lot of music journalist, dismissing the entirety of a genre. Then came "heavy metal", punk changed into hardcore punk, and soon the grindcore and powerviolence were born. Nowadays punk is still seen as an abrasive, noisey genre but it is not longer seen as extreme music.

Taking everything into consideration there is not a single definition of extreme music other than "something that differs way too much from traditional music, regardless it has or has not artistic value." Calling something extreme is just a modern fashion, just like calling something brutal. What do you listen to? Extreme metal, bro. Thats sounds way better. Calling music brutal is also a stupid descriptor.

I would say it is easy to call those genres extreme music: all heavy metal, punk rock/hardcore punk and its "children genres", avant-garde/free jazz, drone, hardcore rap, hardcore electronica, musique concrete, serialism, minimalism, futurism and so on.

Extreme pop? Noise pop, Avant-pop, but it is just another topic of what is pop music. But everything easy-listening with simple composition and none of bar none of distortion is definitely not extreme.

Personally I find the radio music extremely awful, while I can listen to power electronics of crust punk just as relaxing music.
Nov 11, 2017 5:47 PM

Aug 2012
Corvus8 said:

You, I like you.

Nov 12, 2017 1:22 PM

Apr 2015
@tearofmankind Oh damn, thank you for taking time to write all that, I appreciate it man. Interesting what's considered "extreme" music can change over time.
Nov 13, 2017 5:10 AM

Aug 2015
DarkSentinel said:
Corvus8 said:

You, I like you.

Ah yes, a fellow Current Value enthusiast. Good taste my friend, good taste.
Nov 13, 2017 1:40 PM

Jul 2014
Been listening to extreme metal since my edgelord phase and my love for it hasn't dwindled (though I do look back on a lot of the metalcore and deathcore I used to like back then with shame). It's admittedly quite difficult to pick a favourite song though Death's definitely my favourite extreme metal band with Sigh coming in second.

Take care of yourself

Nov 15, 2017 10:30 PM
Apr 2014
ThatRazorGuy said:
Been listening to extreme metal since my edgelord phase and my love for it hasn't dwindled (though I do look back on a lot of the metalcore and deathcore I used to like back then with shame). It's admittedly quite difficult to pick a favourite song though Death's definitely my favourite extreme metal band with Sigh coming in second.
Death is great, especially the last two albums. I'm not sure which one I like better.
Nov 15, 2017 10:36 PM

Jul 2014
Gholy said:
ThatRazorGuy said:
Death is great, especially the last two albums. I'm not sure which one I like better.

Same to be honest, Chuck was truly one of a kind.
Take care of yourself

Nov 15, 2017 10:42 PM
Apr 2014
ThatRazorGuy said:
Gholy said:

Same to be honest, Chuck was truly one of a kind.
;_;
RIP Chuck Schuldiner
Nov 16, 2017 3:10 PM

Dec 2013
Obligatory post
Nov 16, 2017 6:21 PM

Nov 2016

Nile - Lashed to the Slave Stick

Bölvat es okkr, bróðir,
bani em ek þinn orðinn;
þat mun æ uppi;
illr er dómr norna.
-Hlöðskviða
(The Battle of the Goths and Huns)
Nov 16, 2017 8:46 PM

Apr 2017
I was going to mention Death as well, but I think my favorite ''extreme'' band is Carcass. The later stuff though, same with Death, I like to at least have a grasp of what the singer is saying, so no Cannibal Corpse for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2017 10:06 PM
Sep 2017
boku no picos opening. that shit made me wild
Nov 19, 2017 7:09 AM

Jun 2016
i cant just pick one favorite song. but here is a classic i really like

so catchy
Scream!
Nov 19, 2017 12:34 PM

Mar 2014
AprilEthereal said:
Grave Miasma - Gnosis of the Summon

Please do yourself a favor by checking out this track.

Wow! Someone here on MAL appreciates Grave Miasma too?

Heres mine recommendation:

Feb 15, 2018 2:24 AM

Mar 2009
Some of my extreme metal favorites. It's not *cough cough* extremely (lol) abrasive per se, I've heard stuff that is so much more vile and nasty (e.g., enjoy some quality ear rape).

part 1

part 2

part 3
AlexandepFeb 15, 2018 2:40 AM

More topics from this board

» Box Office Records

AcbSnakeDemon - 2 hours ago

0 by AcbSnakeDemon »»
2 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7681 by SilentAssassin88 »»
2 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3444 by SilentAssassin88 »»
2 hours ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

26 by rey_n »»
2 hours ago

» What album have you listened to the most this year?

MeanMrMusician - Mar 9

28 by Enderbro1945 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.