Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 8, 2017 10:15 AM

Jan 2010
badwolf45f said:
JustALEX said:
BTW....just so people don't get the wrong idea....

I DON'T think anime should be a "Boys club" or any such thing...

But I do wonder how many of them really care and how many have simply jumped the "Bandwagon"....

Because there is NO DOUBT that in Video games, Comic Books, and other "Nerdy" things....girls have jumped the bandwagon.

Some of them are Shamelessly using it to get money and others just want attention.

Again...I do NOT think this is the norm for anime female fans....but I'm just wondering/posing the question.

This is something that really piss me off, just because im girl people assume that im just a poser, and everytime a guy has to ask me "or so you like videogames? name 3 of hideo kojima" or smth like that and im like why do i have to pass an exam everytime just because im a girl?

Pretty sure there's a bunch of guys who jumped the bandwagon when they watched SAO, and im pretty sure theres a lot of girls who knows more about anime than these guys. just please, end the freaking stereotypes already.

+1

I'm a girl and been playing playstation (now used to) since 3rd grader. Before that, I only watch my relatives playing, then my parents bought us one when I was in 3rd grade.

I don't call myself a gamer tho (because I only play select games) but the boys usually got impressed (and surprised) when I beat them all in Tekken, and Guitar Hero lmao. I totally don't look like someone who play games but I do owned PSX and PS2 and played it all the time when I was younger.

My favorite games is hack n slash, and simple games like Crash Bandicoot series lmao
Some notable series I played are DMCs, MGS 2(because Raiden is hot hahah, I don't usually plays espionage/stealth games)

Now I only play The Sims on my laptop. All my consoles were given to my cousins.

My besties (which is a girl) is somewhat a gamer, and we played co-op RE games all the time.
Jul 8, 2017 10:31 AM

Feb 2017
It's because we're moving away from more rigid gender roles and it's more socially acceptable.

I'm a female anime and if you wanna ask me why I like it/how I got into it then hmu.

Honestly, I just like the same shit I like outside of anime: trashy rom coms and fantasy.

Also, quit it with the 'jumping on a bandwagon' bs. Who cares if a girl only likes popular video games or SOA because it got popular? No such thing as a poser. If you like something, you like it. It's immature to say someone isn't a real fan because they only like popular things. Also, it's annoying as, because it's primarily only girls that would get so scrutinised for their tastes.
ladamesansmerciJul 8, 2017 10:34 AM
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Jul 8, 2017 10:44 AM

Mar 2015
I don't think you can specify a gender to this though? Even boys anime fans increased nowadays because it has become socially acceptable to be an anime fan. Plus in the old times people were more close minded and it was weird for a girl to "like" and be open about liking "male" stuff even though Anime/Games are targeted towards male audience but it doesn't make it wrong that girls are liking it more.
dokidokiJul 8, 2017 10:47 AM

yeehaw
Jul 8, 2017 10:49 AM

Jun 2014
JustALEX said:

I'm pretty sure you ARE right that many guys also jumped the bandwagon.

This is how anime is becoming more mainstream.

BTW...I'm only asking simple questions and I'm not necessarily accusing anyone.

Stereotypes will NEVER go away.

At least the girl Stereotypes are not that bad....some people think female fans are "fake"...OK.

MORE people think us male fans are losers, lonely, virgins, anti-social, etc.

Which do you think is the worse Stereotype?

But...but they are true, aren't they? Don't leave me hanging here.
I am a antisocial, lonely, loser and technically a virgin if not for
monetary transactions.
Jul 8, 2017 10:50 AM

Aug 2013
It always cringes the fuck out of me that when a guy is a fan of anime or games there's not any problem, but when it's a girl people start cuestioning her on every possible level on how "true" she is.
MohitVermillionJul 8, 2017 11:12 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2017 11:01 AM

Jun 2014
MohitVermillion said:
It always cringes the fuck out of me that when a guy is a fan of anime or games there's not any problem, but when it's girl people start cuestioning her on every possible level on how "true" she is.

I'm not discriminating, I question EVERYONE and trust no one.
So I ask males and females (not that I talk to females or leave my house [now that I think about it
I don't even talk to guys except once in a while on Skype]) a
few questions of what they've seen or played and questions regarding that.
Jul 8, 2017 11:05 AM

Oct 2010
To have prejudgements is understandable to a point, though not necessarily excusable. To make a thread about them and try to reach a consensus as if such consensus held water to judge individual motivations is insane.

shonenking said:
So I ask males and females (not that I talk to females or leave my house [now that I think about it

Dude, just STOP doing this. Being a fan of something =/= being well-versed on something. It's about enjoying, not about investing time and effort scanning through every minor detail. Fans are allowed to be as superficial as they want to be with the stuff they like.
jal90Jul 8, 2017 11:09 AM
Jul 8, 2017 11:08 AM
Oct 2016
I strongly disagree. I'm well aware of the female gamers phenomenon and all the underlying motivations that that entails. That said, Anime is no where near as accepted as gaming and relatively speaking is no where near the critical mass it needs to become something of an avenue for attention seekers. There is still a very strong stigma attached to anime that keeps "normies" away. That stigma will probably always be there but I consider it a very good thing as it's something of an immune system that protects Anime more than it hurts it.
Jul 8, 2017 11:17 AM

Jun 2014
jal90 said:
To have prejudgements is understandable to a point, though not necessarily excusable. To make a thread about them and try to reach a consensus as if such consensus held water to judge individual motivations is insane.

shonenking said:

Dude, just STOP doing this. Being a fan of something =/= being well-versed on something. It's about enjoying, not about investing time and effort scanning through every minor detail. Fans are allowed to be as superficial as they want to be with the stuff they like.

Well, being a fan and being well versed isn't the same I agree, BUT being a
fan and investing time go kinda hand in hand. Can you really call yourself a
fan when you don't even spent time with something you allegedly enjoy A LOT
and have much enthusiasm for?
I'm not a fond of the term "fan" in general, but don't call yourself a fan of
something if you don't have appropriate dedication for that term.
"Appropriate" is relative depending on the persons perspective and doesn't only
account for overall time spent, if you just recently started being a "fan" of something overall time is less important than time spent with it since then.
Jul 8, 2017 11:26 AM

Jun 2014
Most guys are also posers. The majority of the ones I talked to have only seen Elfen Lied, Death Note, Toky Ghoul, Naruto and maybe 5-15 other ones.
In my opinion you can start to consider yourself a anime person when you've breached 20 - 30 days watchtime.
Jul 8, 2017 11:40 AM

Oct 2016
From my observation, anime is more popular with guys. Most anime fans in my school are guys. It is very rare for me to find females who watch anime. Most girls my age are into books and other things. Those who do watch animé are really into black butler, BL and Kpop stuff. Anime is becoming more popular with girls as it becomes more mainstream is true.
Primerose003
Jul 8, 2017 11:45 AM

May 2017
Although anime is often-times chock-full of fanservice, there's a lot of shoujo anime, and a lot of girls I know like shounen anime as well, it all depends. Like games, there are many different genres that cater to different audiences.
Jul 8, 2017 11:50 AM

Aug 2013
Shoujo anime and manga has existed since the 60's so when it comes to Japanese female anime fans it's not the same. For American female anime fans and others worldwide then that may be true.
Jul 8, 2017 12:33 PM

Feb 2014
i mean im a female and ive liked anime since i was a kid (DBZ was my first) so i dont think all of us are posers lol

and the whole "sexualization intended for males" works in my favor because im gay. so seeing hot girls wouldn't annoy me anyway. however, i realize im in the minority there. even so there's a lot of anime intended for straight females and they even tend to find guys or ships they like in stuff like Naruto or SnK so i dont think its solely something males enjoy.

Jul 8, 2017 12:35 PM

Oct 2010
shonenking said:
jal90 said:

Well, being a fan and being well versed isn't the same I agree, BUT being a
fan and investing time go kinda hand in hand. Can you really call yourself a
fan when you don't even spent time with something you allegedly enjoy A LOT
and have much enthusiasm for?
I'm not a fond of the term "fan" in general, but don't call yourself a fan of
something if you don't have appropriate dedication for that term.
"Appropriate" is relative depending on the persons perspective and doesn't only
account for overall time spent, if you just recently started being a "fan" of something overall time is less important than time spent with it since then.

But the point is that people don't have to prove anything to you, or to me, or to whatever gold standard of a real fan we hold. Being an otaku, a gamer, a moviegoer, etc. is a label you pick to define yourself because you are comfortable with it, not something that needs to be tested in front of others. Asking people how much they know about stuff in order to determine their worth as fans misses entirely the point of calling yourself a fan, which is not conforming to whatever standard an external person dictates for you but defining with your own words your relationship with that medium, genre or field of entertainment. If a lot of people don't like being tested and questioned over their level of fandom it's because it is completely uncalled for.
Jul 8, 2017 12:52 PM

Jun 2014
jal90 said:

But the point is that people don't have to prove anything to you, or to me, or to whatever gold standard of a real fan we hold. Being an otaku, a gamer, a moviegoer, etc. is a label you pick to define yourself because you are comfortable with it, not something that needs to be tested in front of others. Asking people how much they know about stuff in order to determine their worth as fans misses entirely the point of calling yourself a fan, which is not conforming to whatever standard an external person dictates for you but defining with your own words your relationship with that medium, genre or field of entertainment. If a lot of people don't like being tested and questioned over their level of fandom it's because it is completely uncalled for.

Well, everything is somewhat a label, being homosexual, a doctor, lawyer, any other job description, autistic, asian, caucasian, african american, evangelic, catholic, jewish, tall, petite, muscular, etc. ALL of those terms are also labels.
Certain terms have certain meanings, a label needs to be fitting to it's meaning. If you are using a term/label without it complying to the meaning it would make the entire concept of speech and communication meaningless.
Jul 8, 2017 1:15 PM

Apr 2014
Are there any statistics that show that watching anime as a hobby has always been a male dominated activity? No "well it's just obvious, lol" but actual surveys with a decent enough sample size?
From what i can remember the ratio on MAL has been something like 60-70/40-30% towards men (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) which doesn't really make it a big "boys club". I mean, even back then in the 90s and early 00s, I doubt series like Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura or Inu Yasha would have ever become that big if not for an important number of teenage girls who ended up watching them.

JustALEX said:

At least the girl Stereotypes are not that bad....some people think female fans are "fake"...OK.

MORE people think us male fans are losers, lonely, virgins, anti-social, etc.

Which do you think is the worse Stereotype?

I find being called fake to be pretty demeaning. Like watching anime is not enough to be considered part of the fanbase but you also have to prove that you are not doing it for the attention or the money or whatever. I would understand if someone were to get mad at that.

But besides that, there's also the fujoshi stereotype on the other side which is also seen in a negative light.
Jul 8, 2017 1:28 PM

Aug 2016
mattao313 said:
GangsterCat said:
isn't "grill gamers" just a slur for girl who stream her "gameplay" while being almost half naked or something? a.k.a camwhore on twitch.tv

This is the same I was thinking, dem chicks just tryna take advantage of lonely guys.

It's always funny when you see a twitchslut top donation is like $500 or something.
Jul 8, 2017 2:11 PM

Feb 2016
You know.
The number of girls into anime is overwhelming. Won't talk about the past cause i don't know about it, but that's how things are now.

Also, kinda off-topic but; Shoujo manga. Basically every japanese girl reads it and this doesn't turn em into the ultimate otaku. They like Jump stuff too.
Jul 8, 2017 2:16 PM

Sep 2016
Not necessarly, but if there may be some interest in videogames for some anime, there're a lot of cases.
Jul 8, 2017 3:14 PM

Jul 2015
I don't play video games so idk much about that, but I like anime bc it's entertaining. I wouldn't even consider anime mainstream if that's what you're saying?
Jul 8, 2017 6:07 PM

Jun 2008
OK...all you people that keep mentioning Shoujo manga need to stop.

This is NOT a manga discussion.

We're taking about anime, not printed media.

Also, the majority of anime that comes out has a larger male demographic, there's a reason for that.
Jul 8, 2017 6:19 PM

Mar 2017
JustALEX said:

Also, the majority of anime that comes out has a larger male demographic, there's a reason for that.

here's the issue, you can't just draw a clear line between manga and anime. Both industries are linked. It's like an arena and a sports team. Sure the arena gets other events besides sports, but saying sports aren't shit is a good way to lose out on cash. In this instance, a lot of animes are adaptions of popular mangas. So whether you want to admit it or not, you can't have a conversation about anime and completely leave manga out the conversation. And i'm sure shoujo animes are popular with girls as well.

that being said, liking anime =/= liking video games. let alone being a "gamer girl"

come, you sweet hour of death
Jul 8, 2017 6:59 PM

Mar 2017
I /kiindda/ get what OP means. I have always reallly loved anime (I am a female), since I was probably like 8?? And I used to get bullied over it a bit lol, but now that I'm older, the same girls that teased me over it claim they really love anime. Going as far as posting about it sporadically and sayin shit like " I love anime so much. I just finished black butler for the third time. Sebastian is soooooo hotttt <3 ". Which yanno would be totally fine if she actually watched it? She didn't know a single thing about the show. And this translates as alllottt of other chicks who watch anime, or even claim being an "otaku" lol. Like its totally fine if you are, but its super weird to say that like, just to be saying it. In that respect, its forsure like the whole "Gamer Gurlz" type stuff. There are tonnnnss of girls out there who actually play games and a fuckton of girls actually watch anime, but it the few randoms who say shit for attention is actually a reason why alot of girls aren't vocal when they really ARE into stuff. Super lame tbh lol
Jul 8, 2017 7:55 PM

Jun 2008
TheRandom said:
JustALEX said:

here's the issue, you can't just draw a clear line between manga and anime. Both industries are linked. It's like an arena and a sports team. Sure the arena gets other events besides sports, but saying sports aren't shit is a good way to lose out on cash. In this instance, a lot of animes are adaptions of popular mangas. So whether you want to admit it or not, you can't have a conversation about anime and completely leave manga out the conversation. And i'm sure shoujo animes are popular with girls as well.

that being said, liking anime =/= liking video games. let alone being a "gamer girl"

Yes, they are linked, but not every manga gets adapted into an anime.

Furthermore, there are MANY people who only like one or the other...

Also, I'm not making a connection between anime and video games.

I'm making an example.

In the video game culture....we are seeing many girls who suddenly like video games when before they would mock the "nerdy" guys who liked video games.

Also, SOME of them are only in it for money and/or attention.

So...I'm simply asking a question....are there female anime fans who also fit this description?

Reading some of the responses...there ARE!

However, THANKFULLY...they seem to be a very low minority, it seems most female anime fans are legit in their Fandom.
Jul 8, 2017 8:00 PM

Jun 2008
JadeSnow said:
I /kiindda/ get what OP means. I have always reallly loved anime (I am a female), since I was probably like 8?? And I used to get bullied over it a bit lol, but now that I'm older, the same girls that teased me over it claim they really love anime. Going as far as posting about it sporadically and sayin shit like " I love anime so much. I just finished black butler for the third time. Sebastian is soooooo hotttt <3 ". Which yanno would be totally fine if she actually watched it? She didn't know a single thing about the show. And this translates as alllottt of other chicks who watch anime, or even claim being an "otaku" lol. Like its totally fine if you are, but its super weird to say that like, just to be saying it. In that respect, its forsure like the whole "Gamer Gurlz" type stuff. There are tonnnnss of girls out there who actually play games and a fuckton of girls actually watch anime, but it the few randoms who say shit for attention is actually a reason why alot of girls aren't vocal when they really ARE into stuff. Super lame tbh lol

Well, I'm glad that it does indeed seem like anime does NOT have the same problem that video games have in regards to its female demographic.

There are SOOO MANY "Camwhores" and obviously fake female video game fans that it's annoying and the REAL fans who are female get unjustifiably stereotyped.
Jul 8, 2017 10:49 PM

Nov 2009
badwolf45f said:
JustALEX said:

But I do wonder how many of them really care and how many have simply jumped the "Bandwagon"....

Because there is NO DOUBT that in Video games, Comic Books, and other "Nerdy" things....girls have jumped the bandwagon.

Some of them are Shamelessly using it to get money and others just want attention.

Again...I do NOT think this is the norm for anime female fans....but I'm just wondering/posing the question.

This is something that really piss me off, just because im girl people assume that im just a poser, and everytime a guy has to ask me "or so you like videogames? name 3 of hideo kojima" or smth like that and im like why do i have to pass an exam everytime just because im a girl?

Pretty sure there's a bunch of guys who jumped the bandwagon when they watched SAO, and im pretty sure theres a lot of girls who knows more about anime than these guys. just please, end the freaking stereotypes already.

I had to look up that Hideo Kojima guy and it seems I've never played any of his games. And I still consider myself a gamer. Exams like that are surely unfair.
Jul 9, 2017 12:05 AM
May 2012
*is a gamer as well as a binge anime watcher*

I don't understand this thread to be gender specific. And for those you do, you're limiting yourselves to rather question the concept of "casual gamers" Vs "gaming elites" and "casual anime watchers" Vs "people4plot"

Something to think about

*Flies away on pixie dust*
Jul 9, 2017 2:54 AM

Nov 2009
shonenking said:
jal90 said:

Well, everything is somewhat a label, being homosexual, a doctor, lawyer, any other job description, autistic, asian, caucasian, african american, evangelic, catholic, jewish, tall, petite, muscular, etc. ALL of those terms are also labels.
Certain terms have certain meanings, a label needs to be fitting to it's meaning. If you are using a term/label without it complying to the meaning it would make the entire concept of speech and communication meaningless.

There are indeed a lot of labels. But the requirements to use them vary.
Creed and religion are easy.
I can simply claim to be an Orthodox Christian, and it will work (at least until they find out I can't enter a church). In fact, I can just keep quiet, and people will assume I am one.
And whether I am atheist or antitheist depends on my mood at the moment, not any actual state of my being.
I need a license to be a doctor or a lawyer, but anybody can be an engineer or a programmer (and actually having an education just increases your chances of getting a job).
A person is inherently autistic, but that person generally needs a medical diagnosis to wave this label around and get benefits (or even get this acknowledged).
Race is a tricky subject, because for people of mixed heritage, different people will call them different things.
But nation is even trickier, because there is no reliable way to tell, say, a Russian and a Ukrainian apart except for their preferred language. Yet this does not prevent all the fighting in Ukraine.

What we're saying, being a fan of something is like a creed. One just makes a decision and declares oneself one.
Jul 9, 2017 3:17 AM
Aug 2014
Some people are more interested in the community or social interactions surrounding something than the thing itself. Such people will flock to popular things, not because of all the nefarious motives people who don't understand them would ascribe, but because lots of other people like those things. What's the fun in having watched "Now and Then, Here and There" if the conversation dies whenever I bring it up? Such people obviously look for different qualities in anime than people who watch for the generally defined "art", additionally opening themselves up to being accused of bad taste.
Jul 9, 2017 3:52 AM

May 2017
most girls dont like games, they are more into social things and if they do like games they play it for the social aspect mostly, and you dont want a real gamer girl anyway
Jul 9, 2017 5:49 AM

Jul 2016
It's like there is a gender issue thread every 2 days.

My opinion on the subject, gamer girls are only into gaming cause it's mainstream & popular. Whereas girls have always been into anime - in Japan, this is not the case for the west, they have always been a minority, with more getting into anime now, since it's mainstream.

badwolf45f said:
JustALEX said:

You're only getting tested by guys, cause the amount of fake gamer girls, who have no mind of their own, and get into things cause they're popular and mainstream. And this is actually a problem, how long till they jump ship, to the next mainstream thing, thus damaging the industry that had now adjusted to them.

Stop blaming guys, when it's girls causing the problem.
RuneRemJul 9, 2017 5:54 AM
Jul 9, 2017 6:03 AM

Nov 2011
This is slightly confusing to me since when I starting watching anime when I was younger I watched mainly shows targeted towards girls such as Tokyo Mew Mew and Shugo Chara. Anime has never seemed like it was a one gender thing since so many shows exist that are targeted toward both.

Jul 9, 2017 6:04 AM

Oct 2007
I've been into anime since I was around 8, downloaded my first episode in ~2004, and have 21TB of anime archived over 6 x 4TB HDDs. I fansub in my free time and stress myself out immensely making sure everything is perfect.

I'm a woman and I'm not into anime because its becoming more mainstream, not in the slightest.

I grew up watching my step-dad play PS1 games and I loved them so much, nowadays I only play Pokemon and Animal Crossing and don't consider myself a gamer in the slightest.

I personally can't understand this nonsense of jumping on the bandwagon and playing games for attention. I was bullied mercilessly as a child/teenager for liking anime and so since around the age of 13 I've done everything possible to hide my interests irl (I'm 25 now). Flaunting my knowledge/love for anime just isn't something I would ever do.
Spades-DeuceJul 9, 2017 6:17 AM
Jul 9, 2017 6:09 AM

May 2017
Probably unlike video games, anime had female fans from the start. Anime is more accessible and there are genres aimed for girls.

Computers that can run modern AAA games cost a lot of money. One wouldn't want to bother unless one really likes games. And anime is free more or less.
========================Sig=============================

I am a writer and recently published my first fantasy book, Clash of Mages

'Time of hiding have ended. Time of battle have come.'

You can buy it here https://www.amazon.com/Exploits-Party-SeraphIthil-Hershel-Saga-ebook/dp/B071LDFHYD/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=

It was influences by the anime, particularly Naruto, Fate/Zero and Claymore. It is about Two mages and one swordswoman traveling together and fighting mostly other mages. One of them, Hershel plans to become strong enough to eventually defeat Tormellian Empire.
Jul 9, 2017 6:24 AM

May 2015
Nyu said:

My opinion on the subject, gamer girls are only into gaming cause it's mainstream & popular. Whereas girls have always been into anime - in Japan, this is not the case for the west, they have always been a minority, with more getting into anime now, since it's mainstream.

badwolf45f said:

You're only getting tested by guys, cause the amount of fake gamer girls, who have no mind of their own, and get into things cause they're popular and mainstream. And this is actually a problem, how long till they jump ship, to the next mainstream thing, thus damaging the industry that had now adjusted to them.

> Implying that guys do actually have a mind on their own.
Yeah please, it is a mob mentality dictated by popularity not a gender one. But you wouldn't make the same accusations to guys which, agree with it or not, is sexist.

If they get into things because they are mainstream but like them then they are not fake. If they pretend to like them but then yeah I would agree calling them fake.
I don't agree with specifying "girls", gamer should be just enough but whatever.

It is not a problem, that's how it works. From niche to mainstream and then again to niche if the trend stops being popular. If they jump ship then the industry will adapt again, audience doesn't own anything to the industry itself nor the industry to the audience, it's a mutual exchange until both consider that exchange worth it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2017 6:26 AM

Aug 2015
Female anime fans have been around since the beginning. As a guy, I've met more female anime fans than male ones. When I'm at a convention, there are at least as many girls around as guys, if not even more.

The basis for your argument is probably your personal experience, but as you can see it's different for everyone. It seems that girls tend to be less open about their hobbies, but that doesn't mean that their numbers are smaller.

In the first place, it's absolutely unnecessary to judge anyone, male or female, on why they started watching anime.
Jul 9, 2017 6:33 AM

Jul 2016
zal said:
Nyu said:

Yeah please, it is a mob mentality dictated by popularity not a gender one. But you wouldn't make the same accusations to guys which, agree with it or not, is sexist.

If they get into things because they are mainstream but like them then they are not fake. If they pretend to like them but then yeah I would agree calling them fake.
I don't agree with specifying "girls", gamer should be just enough but whatever.

It is not a problem, that's how it works. From niche to mainstream and then again to niche if the trend stops being popular. If they jump ship then the industry will adapt again, audience doesn't own anything to the industry itself nor the industry to the audience, it's a mutual exchange until both consider that exchange worth it.

Someone just has to call me sexist, like why should I expect others to actually think on their own. If one were actually thinking, they would of took into account Gaming is catered towards guys, its seen as a "guy thing", so the mob mentality acts differently, guys are less likely to jump ship since gaming is a "guy interest".

Like if makeup became popular, and guys started using it as well. When guys stop using makeup, will women just abandon it? No, since it's a "female interest".

Your social views about industry are careless, with no regard to the legitimate audience or the creators.
Jul 9, 2017 6:42 AM

Jun 2015
ewwww 3rd yuck hoomuns

btw, female gamers are shit, they dont bathe, smell bad, roll in their own shit, are useless, have trash personalities, basically ugly versions of gabu.

and female anime fans are all fujoshi shit.
Jul 9, 2017 6:49 AM

May 2015
Nyu said:
zal said:

Someone just has to call me sexist, like why should I expect others to actually think on their own. If one were actually thinking, they would of took into account Gaming is catered towards guys, its seen as a "guy thing", so the mob mentality acts differently, guys are less likely to jump ship since gaming is a "guy interest".

Like if makeup became popular, and guys started using it as well. When guys stop using makeup, will women just abandon it? No, since it's a "female interest".

Your social views about industry are careless, with no regard to the legitimate audience or the creators.
I didn't call you sexist, I called the action of making difference between anime fans based on sex in a derogatory manner towards one of the two sexes (female in this case). If a guy is into few very popular games or anime just because games or anime are mainstream would you say he is a problem for the industry because of the risk of jumping ship?

"It's seen as a guy thing" and that's called a stereotype. Some games are clearly aimed at male demographic, others are neutral and others might even be aimed at a female demographic. Moreover nothing really prohibits girls from playing or even liking games aimed at males demographic other than taste.

Makeup is more than just an interest though, more of a cultural thing. Also guys HAVE started using makeup more often because being good looking is not only a girls interest.

However you are the one that is mixing the industrial aspect with the social/artistic aspect. If you want to talk about industry then creators have less importance as individuals and legitimate audience doesn't really exist unless you want to define it as "people that pay for the product" but then it does't have any relation with mainstream nor sex.
zalJul 9, 2017 7:09 AM
Jul 9, 2017 7:05 AM

Jun 2011
Okay I someone who does play video games and has played video games since the 90s, I will say that I play different video games than a lot of men. Aside from Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon I think the games I played were for the most part very different from the games you played. As in unless it got extremely big you did not play it.

Games I played growing up: Rhapsody a musical Adventure(Atlus RPG), Lucky Luke(toony puzzle shooter), Digimon World, Digimon Rumble Arena, Ridge Racer, Klonoa, Ape Escape. I also had some other sports games but for the most part these were the games that I had as well as all of the Crash Bandicoot games.

What do you notice about my console video game collection from before I was 12? Mostly that I would have very little in common with anyone else who plays video games because everyone else who grew up with a video game console grew up with a Nintendo.

I come off as somebody who is not knowledgeable because I grew up with PlayStation. On my Gameboy all I had were Tetris, Kirby in Dreamland, and Pokemon Blue. On Gameboy Advance and Gameboy Color I had Kirby tilt n tumble, Fire Emblem, Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon Crystal, Advanced Wars.

PS2 I did not have that many games. I had Kingdom Hearts. Beyond Good and Evil. Katamari Damacy. Disappointing Crash Bandicoot game. Sims 2 pets. Which yes I did like because I wasn't allowed on the computer to play Sims 2 all the time. Guitar Hero 3 and Dance Dance Revolution Extreme.

I think when you look at my childhood games and other people's childhood games they really won't match up that well because I didn't have Nintendo. I didn't grow up playing Legend of Zelda I didn't play Metroid I didn't play anything like that. So if I seem like a bandwagon or now because well they're all available on the Wii U and I have a Wii U I'm sorry. But there was always this hint of jealousy I have had because all my friends got to play Pokemon Snap and the game that I had later was Beyond Good and Evil. And I think even then I felt this pain of will my friends have it I wish I could have it.

I go to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo with zero commonality with anyone. Even though at this point PS1 is very much retro. But how many people actually have fond memories of playing Lucky Luke? But I guess I do bring something else to the table. What it was like to be a kid playing PS1 without a Nintendo as an option. Without Sega as an option. Someone with Nostalgia for that 3D look Ps1 had. And no one else I know has that.
Energetic-NovaJul 9, 2017 7:08 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jul 9, 2017 7:20 AM

Jun 2016
To begin with, gaming and anime shouldn't fixate in gender stereotypes in the first place.

About games, I'm more of a console player and a pc player secondary. But for females it's harder to admit that you like playing many titles, cause as a girl most of the boys think "Oh look! She thinks playing Sims is making her a gamer". First, there are those that are indeed "girl gamers" and enjoy the same king of games as guys do from whatever genre. Second are girls who know that playing just a few titles makes you a simple gamer.

But games and anime are different. Like really different.

Anime are becoming a mainstream medium because social media exist and there are more streaming options in comparison to the past. That;s why people are trying it and see if the like anime or not. To tell the truth I could't even tell the difference between anime and cartoons (or japannese and american animation if you prefer). When we finally got internet at home I was able to search those shows that made my childhood awesome and I awakened to anime.

As I girl I'm not afraind to admit that I like anime and I always come open with my hobbies when someone asks. Also I like the ecchi and harem ones because it's always funny to see the MC's actions and faces, but I'm not a fujoshi and sometimes I find it really irritating shipping ever boy in sports anime or even in SnK. Wanna ship? Do it in moderation.

Anyway. The end note is that anime is for all, games is for all and no, being an anime fan doesn't make you an gamer and vise versa.
***roaming the vast anime universe***
Jul 9, 2017 7:25 AM

Feb 2010
I don't think anime and manga fanbase was ever that skewed to the male side. That's usually what guys who only watch ecchi harems think because their vision of anime is restricted to those fanservice heavy titles and it is hard to see many girls being into those. But personally I've encountered way more anime and manga fans that were female ever since I was a kid. I got into some of the first anime I decided to download because two female classmates recommend them to me 15 years ago (GTO and Getbackers were the two shows) and I kept making other girls who were into anime and manga later on. When I brought a manga to my book club (Solanin) the girls were way more excited about it than the guys because they already knew about manga and were involved with it in the past.

And when I go to my yearly local convention the genders are usually very balanced with even slightly more girls (but also a younger average age for girls because of all those 13yo vocaloid cosplayers -.-).

And on my years of MAL I befriended a bunch of random people who I got along with and about half of them were girls and half of them were guys (and I usually got along better with the girls since they tend to be less judgmental about series even outside their comfort zone).

So as far as my personal experience, both irl and on MAL, is concerned anime was never this male-only medium and girls have been into for as long as I can remember. I mean I think BL manga has been the biggest manga market in the german market since like forever. There's always been a ton of girls into animanga. If people are under the impression that it is male-dominated it is most likely because of the circles they personally frequent and their approach to the medium, and not because it's actually true.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 9, 2017 7:25 AM

Jun 2011
Gardia said:
To begin with, gaming and anime shouldn't fixate in gender stereotypes in the first place.

About games, I'm more of a console player and a pc player secondary. But for females it's harder to admit that you like playing many titles, cause as a girl most of the boys think "Oh look! She thinks playing Sims is making her a gamer". First, there are those that are indeed "girl gamers" and enjoy the same king of games as guys do from whatever genre. Second are girls who know that playing just a few titles makes you a simple gamer.

Anime are becoming a mainstream medium because social media exist and there are more streaming options in comparison to the past. That;s why people are trying it and see if the like anime or not. To tell the truth I could't even tell the difference between anime and cartoons (or japannese and american animation if you prefer). When we finally got internet at home I was able to search those shows that made my childhood awesome and I awakened to anime.

As I girl I'm not afraind to admit that I like anime and I always come open with my hobbies when someone asks. Also I like the ecchi and harem ones because it's always funny to see the MC's actions and faces, but I'm not a fujoshi and sometimes I find it really irritating shipping ever boy in sports anime or even in SnK. Wanna ship? Do it in moderation.

Anyway. The end note is that anime is for all, games is for all and no, being an anime fan doesn't make you an gamer and vise versa.

Yeah but what I don't understand is, WHY is Sims such a bad game to admit to liking? I have every expansion for Sims 2. I have Sims 3 and 4. And a lot of expansions for those too. I have over 200 games. I just. I donno. Why does it matter if I like Sims? I actually got injured playing Sims too long. (hurt my elbow)

And how else are you going to play yandere simulator?

Funny thing, most commentators for anime are men too. Just like video games. Even for yaoi and shonen ai, most reviews for them are done by men.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jul 9, 2017 7:46 AM

Jun 2016
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Gardia said:

Yeah but what I don't understand is, WHY is Sims such a bad game to admit to liking? I have every expansion for Sims 2. I have Sims 3 and 4. And a lot of expansions for those too. I have over 200 games. I just. I donno. Why does it matter if I like Sims? I actually got injured playing Sims too long. (hurt my elbow)

And how else are you going to play yandere simulator?

Funny thing, most commentators for anime are men too. Just like video games. Even for yaoi and shonen ai, most reviews for them are done by men.

That's a good question. I'm a Sims fan too.

As for the reviews I don't really mind. As long as someone has watched the whole thing and has right arguments to make it doesn't matter if it's male or female.
***roaming the vast anime universe***
Jul 9, 2017 8:29 AM
Dec 2015
JustALEX said:
OK, let me explain...

If anyone is knowledgeable about games and shit, you will know that there have been an influx of "Girl Gamers" in the past several years where back in the 90s it was overwhelmingly a male demographic.

Anyway, many (NOT ALL) of these "Girl Gamers" are only into it because games have become very popular and basically now mainstream where before it wasn't.

Well...what about female anime fans?

Anime, like games, have predominantly been heavily skewed in the male demographic, but as it becomes more and more popular....we're getting more female anime fans.

Excluding Fujoshis...how many are in it just because it's becoming more and more mainstream?

I went full nerd talking to a female coworker saying she likes video games. We talked about titles, but it slowly turned out she just likes watching people play them. When I asked "oh, on Twitch[?]" she countered with a "what is that?" Holy crap, she watches her BF/friends[?] play games and says she like video games.

Anyways, I have no problem with the influx that is happening across these hobbies. I know quite a many cosplayers that barely even watch anime and if they do they say, "I don't watch anime 'we' watch anime." Not saying all are like that, but from my small, but daily interaction, sample size - it appears to be because it has become the new normal and less so being nerdy. I mean, wait - nerdy is cool now? What I tried to describe is the activities are a result of social interactions (for those I interact with).
Jul 9, 2017 8:52 AM

Dec 2016
There is no such thing as a "girl gamer" in anime.

First of all, I don't think that anime is even male-dominated. Video games are stereotyped as being more male-oriented because people often think of games like Madden or Call of Duty when they think of video games, and it's understandable why both of those games would appeal more to men than women. However, with anime, there really isn't any reason why it would appeal more to men than women. The only genres I can think of that would fit that would be ecchi, but it's not as if the majority of anime is ecchi. Popular anime like Death Note or FMA:B don't appeal more to males than females.

Second, there is no incentive for girls to pretend to like anime. Anime isn't popular or 'cool' enough to make people want to act like they know a lot about it.

What's the difference?
Jul 9, 2017 9:22 AM

Jun 2016
Could be possible. I don't see why not.
Jul 9, 2017 10:01 AM

Jul 2013
I dont understand why would a girl be grill gamer if she likes animes, but whatever
Jul 9, 2017 10:41 AM

Jul 2010
This thread is idiotic. I don't understand where you're getting these 'facts' from. Opinion =/= fact, please get proper statistics before you make sweeping generalizations. Stereotyping an entire gender based on what a minority of that gender does is stupid. There are casual gamers and casual anime watchers from both genders, this much should be obvious. Not all men enjoy video games or anime, nor do all women.

There are women who are as you put it 'camwhores', these women are in it for the money. There are also women who play Candy Crush and phone games; phone games are still video games. There are women who casually watch anime, but do not invest a lot of time into it.
Likewise there are women who stream on twitch that are not 'camwhores', not every woman who casually plays video games is a camwhore or just in it to jump on the bandwagon.

There are males who casually play video games and there are males who casually watch anime. There are also males that are hardcore into anime and video games, likewise there are females who are hardcore into anime and video games.

You can't make stereotypical generalizations against an entire gender and expect people to respect your opinion.
UncannyJul 9, 2017 10:45 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

32 by Zimmu »»
2 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece part 2 (the sequel)

Cyborgium - 3 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

63 by Tulleha »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 7 hours ago

25 by maya2003s »»
12 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

32 by alshu »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.