Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 3, 2017 4:49 AM

Nov 2015
So, at 23 seconds in, I REALLY want to LOL at this Kurata guy's voice. Why the hell is it so high? It sounds like the voice actor inhaled freaking helium.
Jul 3, 2017 5:24 AM

Jul 2015
Loved it expected a bland show with nothing bad writing.

But it's got great writing
It's entertaining.
Perfect pacing not rushes or slow.

there are flaws of course but the good is heavily outweighing the bad hope it stays like this!
Jul 3, 2017 5:41 AM
Mar 2017
takahashi rie voicing a trap? count me in
Jul 3, 2017 5:53 AM

Nov 2015
I liked it. Though it's rushed to hell. I feel like the anime just skipped over a volume or two of PLOT.
Jul 3, 2017 6:07 AM

Dec 2015
Omg this is super generic!!!

The first part could totally be skipped and they could have made a more original anime... and it wouldn't be original at all!
Jul 3, 2017 6:10 AM

Nov 2013
i'm not a fan of mecha but sthis looks awesome lol

cute girls, cute trap, magic stuff, fun interactions, more please =D
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jul 3, 2017 6:29 AM

Mar 2013
I felt this is quite rushed, I'm not even a light novel reader for this title but I can feel it. Still kind of cliche plot with mecha, magic, and stuffs imo. But I think I'll still enjoy it (i hope).

MC is cute though ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), didn't expect Takahashi Rie voiced a Trap tbh, and the animation is quite well done... fhana for the opening is always nice to hear.
Jul 3, 2017 7:32 AM
Apr 2007
I haven't read the LN or the manga version so it felt natural for me. Though my first impression when he died because he got hit by a car was a bit off but I think it started fine. Ironic to some though who keeps nagging about how slow paced some of the anime are but here we are again nagging about how fast it went. Guess people aren't contented whichever direction it goes. Let's just enjoy the series guys or like some of you said you can drop this if you're that unhappy. :) For me it's a good start and can't wait for episode 2
Jul 3, 2017 7:36 AM

Jul 2015
d
ridley388 said:

The first part could totally be skipped and they could have made a more original anime... and it wouldn't be original at all!

does every anime need to be original?
I agree but that doesn't by itself make it a bad anime.
Generic can be really good.
Jul 3, 2017 7:41 AM

Dec 2015
Ryulightorb said:
d
ridley388 said:

Ah, of course not every anime has to be original, I've been watching many unoriginal animes lately and still enjoyed them, or at least kinda enjoyed them. But this one, it's like I just finished watching a super similar anime and now they get the same excuse for starting another one, much more forced that the other one!
Jul 3, 2017 7:55 AM

Jul 2015
ridley388 said:
Ryulightorb said:
d

Ah, of course not every anime has to be original, I've been watching many unoriginal animes lately and still enjoyed them, or at least kinda enjoyed them. But this one, it's like I just finished watching a super similar anime and now they get the same excuse for starting another one, much more forced that the other one!

Fair enough i just wanted to hear your thoughts on it because i love hearing peoples thoughts on such a subject.

Fair enough reason (i agree it's been samey for a while with a lot of anime)
Jul 3, 2017 8:08 AM

May 2016
Not bad, actually enjoyed the show!

Hope it gets better over time
Jul 3, 2017 8:22 AM

Dec 2014
I don't like mecha but so far I like this series
Jul 3, 2017 8:30 AM

Mar 2016
Glad they rushed it. Obviously this show is going to focus on the 'robots' and the world, and that's pretty cool. Thankfully he's not a trap.
syncrogazerJul 3, 2017 8:34 AM
Jul 3, 2017 8:48 AM

Apr 2012
I feel like I get what this show is going for, and it's not necessarily bad, but it's just not hitting the right buttons for me. The only scene that I felt was actually cool was when Ernesti first whipped out his gunsword staff to show off his magic. Other than that though, I didn't feel anything.
Jul 3, 2017 8:51 AM
Oct 2012
Changing stuff, little stuff, can be perfectly fine, and most people can forgive them.

The pacing no, hell no, unforgivable. Why? Just look at the reviews for the first episode and you will understand. People new to this story will find it very difficult to get into, much like the "irregular in magic high school".

If they paced it correctly it would have taken off much more, had more fans, and thus created more demand for more seasons. As it is now though... I highly doubt we will get anything more than this first season.

The only hope is that the pacing quickly slows down to proper in episode 2 before to much damage is done.
Jul 3, 2017 9:18 AM

Apr 2011
So magic is basically writing Java code xd
Jul 3, 2017 9:18 AM

Nov 2010
I did not mind the time skip because it's like they saved us from enduring the boring parts of the story LOL. (I'm not really a fan of mecha stuff) I find it cute and entertaining so far.
Jul 3, 2017 9:39 AM

Dec 2013
Don't know how everyone else felt about this, but this reincarnation to another world with OP abilities is quite a treat for me.
Loved the episode, and just how he wants to learn everything as soon as he can. So much fun to watch.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 3, 2017 9:57 AM

Mar 2009
HiLON said:
No bouncing tiddies so far so I'll continue watching this.

Well, there was that mecha-piloting woman near the end.

Anyway, so...happy Tanya?
What was the point of the reincarnation angle? They could have just started with the young boy being obsessed with mecha/knights, really.
Jul 3, 2017 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
Felt like I watched 3 volumes of content packed into 1 episode.
Either way first shota mecha pilot I've seen, anyone?
The idea sounds fun either way so will stick around.
Also CGI was alright and mechs looked cool. Cute girls too ... maybe another Comet Lucifer?
Jul 3, 2017 10:48 AM

Jul 2014
too damn fast. nothing groundbreaking here, but ernesti's character does hit a personal chord with me, so i'll keep watching for now.
And yes, I meant that.
--------------------------------------
Sukasuka Discord server, also home to Orlandri Translation Company, who are planning to translate Sukasuka and Sukamoka:
https://discord.gg/xXTncqJ
Do join if it interests you.
Jul 3, 2017 11:01 AM

Aug 2015
Wow what a great start. I know it's fast but as a Mecha fan I think that is the point. I want them to breeze through the beginning to set us up right with the action and piloting the cool giant robots!

The protagonist is like the personification of a thirsty mecha fan. You can be a wimpy looking feminine boy but you can hop into a giant robot just to become a super hero! It's about how you use a weapon, not how strong and tough looking you are. Ernie(Love the name. Been awhile since I heard that name) is a great protagonist that a mecha fan can easily imprint on due to his enthusiasm of giant robots and being a massive nerd. However, my question is how will Ernie come out of the audience surrogate to become a character in his own right?

Combining Magic and Mecha is a great idea! Magical Robot animes have a certain finesse to them compared to Real Robots and Super Robots.

Now we have a few other characters to follow. Ernie's friends look like a useless bunch but I hope they have some important later on.
"I -AM- ELECTRICITY." -Gunvolt
Jul 3, 2017 11:12 AM

Aug 2015
Groux said:
Also CGI was alright and mechs looked cool. Cute girls too ... maybe another Comet Lucifer?

Nah, we had one last season and is still going...and then it hit me.

+

=

And now I can't unsee it.

"I -AM- ELECTRICITY." -Gunvolt
Jul 3, 2017 11:23 AM
Jul 2018
@ArondightDestiny Hahaha, wow. Guess we know from where the MC took his inspiration when creating(?) his character in that world.
Jul 3, 2017 11:53 AM
Mar 2017
I was looking forward to this ever since I saw the poster! Knights & Magic, by the name itself, already caught my attention. The only thing is that they didn't spend a second polishing, what could be, a diamond-in-the-rough.

Here's my take on it:

Plot: 3/10
Waaaaay too fast paced. The overall plot development could have taken more time to flesh out the characters. Everyone, aside from Ernesti, is just a face in the crowd. They don't leave an impression.

Design: 10/10
Beautiful. Wouldn't have it any other way.

The concept is definitely what caught my interest and Ernesti's interests were easily brought out in the way he portrayed his character (straight forward that it's hard to misinterpret). 8bit definitely put work into building the tip of the iceberg, but that's it.

TL:DR
Fun concept, but trash smeared with makeup is still trash. Hoping the rest of the story will provide some semblance of plot.
Jul 3, 2017 12:27 PM
Jan 2014
I like it when an isekai anime is like this. It is self aware and also knows what people want. Quickly breeze through the boring isekai setup that have no importance to the main story anyways and get to the juicy part. Production seems great too.
Jul 3, 2017 12:34 PM

Jan 2011
Girly MC characterization is bothersome but other than that it wasn't bad.
Jul 3, 2017 1:00 PM

Nov 2016
That's the first time I see an isekai setting combined with mecha.

Pretty nice start, maybe a little fast paced, but I don't mind.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 3, 2017 1:04 PM
Feb 2015
Well, at least it's better than Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Jul 3, 2017 1:25 PM
Jun 2016
it did seem a bit fast, but I enjoyed it, it will be interesting to compare this to escaflowne *sp?* but I like the gun staffs, and how they use them like jet packs. I look forward to seeing where this one leads up.
Jul 3, 2017 2:44 PM

Oct 2013
ArondightDestiny said:
Groux said:

Nah, we had one last season and is still going...and then it hit me.

+

=

And now I can't unsee it.

I can actually picture this anime as SELESIA'S ORIGINAL WORLD!!!
Jul 3, 2017 2:55 PM

May 2009
Surprisingly decent. Even CGI wasn't bad.
Jul 3, 2017 3:59 PM

Jul 2014
IZEROII said:
Girly MC characterization is bothersome but other than that it wasn't bad.

To be fair 12 year old Japanese boys are pretty girly compared to just about anyone else. Still irritating that they use a women for the voice actor since women do not sound anything like boys.
Jul 3, 2017 4:30 PM

Jan 2015
This looks like a solid 3/10 series.
Jul 3, 2017 4:40 PM
Dec 2016
At the beginning I was thinking I wouldn't enjoy it too much after seeing him get hit by a car. I instantly thought about how cliche it was. My mind was changed when I was introduced to the characters enthusiasm after his reincarnation. I also like the friends he makes. The pacing wasn't too fast for me. I feel like it got right to point and where it needed to get to. I haven't read it so I wouldn't know how well the build up was to begin with. The pacing felt great to me as this seems like it will slow down later on for more character development. I feel it was as fast paced as it is now so the viewer wouldn't get bored. I really like his two other friends as well and I can already sense there will be some romance later on. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the next episode and I'll probably read the first 9 chapters up until the point where it left off. I also really like the animation and the art looks really good to me. I'm easily impressed when it comes to animation though since I grew up on a lot of older anime. Either way, I thought it was great.
Futurediary805Jul 3, 2017 4:43 PM
Jul 3, 2017 6:02 PM

Jun 2013
so he's the little kid right? and of course he died in a car accident
Jul 3, 2017 6:25 PM

Oct 2008
fhána is really active these days huh...
so...this time, from modern world, he got into an accident, the programmer, and was reborn on a different mahou world that is a bit fantasy huh...
good thing Takahashi Rie is voicing the MC! (shota MC)
4/5.

Jul 3, 2017 7:06 PM

Jan 2011
triggered they turned Takahashi Rie into a mecha Otaku this wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't a trap lol, "draws a cute girl names it a boy "

i feel like there's gonna be quite a few sent to another world anime's this season..it started off rough opening with CGI is never a good start but got better action near the end looked real good,but the lack of explaining what happened to him felt odd was like he isn't gonna question why hes in this world reincarnated as a boy but F it let's pilot some meches !,even konosuba a comedy went into some amount of detail of why it happened from what others have said seems they cut all of this out.

will continue since i support da mechas
Jul 3, 2017 10:02 PM

May 2016
Dunno why people starts condemning the pacing & etc. Just cant understand these people who likes to compare between the show and the source materials (manga/LN).

It's a good quick intro. Wanna know more of the details? Go read the source.

It's the first episode and and this show are likely to have 12 eps only. Rather just than wasting time on backstory, just get on with the action.

I can see this show as one of my favorite in a rather lacklustre season, dependin on the next few episodes.

On a different note, am I the only one who thinks the male MC is prettier than the crush/heroine?
Jul 3, 2017 11:15 PM

Jun 2016
Lightning fast pacing, and not in a good way. Plenty of other problems, but they've already been addressed multiple times in the thread.

That said, I never expected this to be good in the first place, with it being a light novel adaptation. I started watching this solely because it's the only mecha show of the season. As a mecha fan, I kind of just have to take what I get. Shame the mecha are done in CGI though—poorly animated CGI at that.

There is one redeeming factor though: the cute trap.

Came for the mecha, staying for the trap.

aznk93 said:
Why is this an isekai.
Because the light novel author wanted the main character to be an otaku, either because that's what sells, or because a lack of creativity. There was absolutely no point in the main character being reincarnated. The whole thing where he compared learning magic to programming was one of the only times he recalled anything about his old life, and it was glossed over in like, literally three seconds.

Sonicfanx1 said:
So, at 23 seconds in, I REALLY want to LOL at this Kurata guy's voice. Why the hell is it so high? It sounds like the voice actor inhaled freaking helium.
Agreed, it was extremely off-putting. Maybe it's a good thing we didn't see much of him.
Jul 4, 2017 12:12 AM
Dec 2013
I do not like Japan.
Jul 4, 2017 12:18 AM

Apr 2014
The pacing of the first episode was really fast and a lot of people seem to hate that but I think that it's for the best because otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten to this point until at least four or five episodes in and it would have been unbearably slow.
Jul 4, 2017 4:35 AM
Mar 2015
Guy dies and gets reincarnated into a fantasy world. What an interesting novel concept they really need to make more LNs & anime like this.

*sarcasm*
Jul 4, 2017 4:45 AM

Jan 2015
Why are the city and country randomly Finnish names as well as the MC's first name? Seems pretty generic but maybe it'll get more interesting.
Jul 4, 2017 5:08 AM

Feb 2014
Very solid first episode. Did not expect anything given the title but i was pleasantly surprised. Bit fast paced but still easy to follow.
Jul 4, 2017 6:46 AM

Jun 2017
I really liked it. I think it would have been super cute to follow the main character as he grew over the 6 years, but I think that would really distract from the actual genre of the anime honestly. I like traps, and the main character is close enough to do it for me. Huge fighting robots isn't entirely my thing, but the fact they're trying to mix it in a medieval Europe-like setting is interesting in how its being executed. Nothing phenomenal (yet) but if you were to pose the idea to me before I watched it I would of thought it pretty stupid initially which means this anime's doing something right. Also, can we just talk about how they practically merged three RPG classes into one, what the heck is a staff-gun-sword and why does it feel so right? I definitely have high hopes for this series.
Jul 4, 2017 7:50 AM

Nov 2009
Good start. They did not waste too much time on the exposition, and got to the actual story quickly.
Also nice to see a isekai protagonist who was actually useful in his home world, and whose abilities came handy in the new world. It's refreshing.
Also, the MC is cute, and I approve of that.
Summary: looks like I'm going to watch that, even though I don't watch much mecha.

About pacing: pacing was fast enough, and I had no problems making sense of the story. It's not like it's Occultic;Nine, where the first episode seems more like a trailer.

About MC's death: sure, it would have been easy to dodge that car. If he wasn't so tired from overworking, that is.

Sokah said:
Wow, really? That's sort of even worse. How did he go 9 years without even knowing giant mecha existed?

9 years? he looked more like 5 when he first met mecha in this anime.

aznk93 said:
Why is this an isekai.

Mormegil said:
What was the point of the reincarnation angle? They could have just started with the young boy being obsessed with mecha/knights, really.

Because reincarnation makes more sense, and is more believable, than genius of his caliber just being born.

arolust said:
The pacing no, hell no, unforgivable. Why? Just look at the reviews for the first episode and you will understand. People new to this story will find it very difficult to get into, much like the "irregular in magic high school".

Is Mahouka really hard to get into? Sure, the explanations of magic never quite click, but it seemed to be translation problem, not pacing problem.

Jul 4, 2017 8:00 AM
Oct 2010
Ernesti-chan is cute. Traps are besto trapfu. I'm watching this. Cute boys doing cute things.
Jul 4, 2017 8:53 AM
Jul 2009
Zemroid said:
Why are the city and country randomly Finnish names as well as the MC's first name? Seems pretty generic but maybe it'll get more interesting.

yeah as a Finn this made me laugh, town name;Laihiala. Ville Laihiala finnish singer(sentenced, poisonblack) Country name Kankkunen. Juha Kankkunen finnish rally driver. "kankkunen" also slang word for hangover. MC:s name Ernesti. quite doofy old Finnish name.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2017

41 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:42 PM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2017

58 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 27, 2023 8:59 PM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2017

66 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 24, 2023 3:49 AM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2017

74 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 22, 2023 11:00 PM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2017

64 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 21, 2023 1:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.