Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 16, 2017 9:46 PM

Feb 2010
This post is one of our Achievements and contests topics.

Hey! This thread is for the unofficial free-for-all contest, with few restrictions. But there is also an Official List Design Contest, which has more rules and categories and it is hosted in the official MAL Contests forum:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1628681
You can enter both, just keep in mind they have slightly different rules.

New to CSS list design? Don't worry! You can start with my simple CSS tutorials to style your list layout.
Not good at coding? We also provide premade layouts for you to use as a base and focus primarily on the image/color designs, rather than code.

How to Enter
Post in this topic before September 1st, specifying which list design(s) you would like to enter:
a) anime list; b) manga list; c) both list designs.

You don't need to have your list design ready when you post!
Until September 1st, you are free to modify your list design, or edit your post changing your registration.

Make sure you read the rules and guidelines below, to ensure your list design qualifies for this contest.

Rules and Guidelines
1. Each user can enter:
* 1-2 list designs, using either their anime list, manga list, or both.
* an additional 1-2 designs from an alternative account (optional); please let us know if you're using two accounts.
* classic and modern styles are both allowed.

2. You can either code a layout from scratch, or you can use a pre-made list layout (a layout previously made by someone else that was donated to the club) as the base of your design. However, if you're using one of these premade layouts we offer in the club, you must change all images and the colour palette used on the layout; otherwise, your design may be disqualified. See rules 3 and 4 as well.

3. You can use a design you made before the contest, even if you enter it in other contests.

4. You cannot use a private layout that someone else has made as your entry or as the base of you entry; i.e. no stealing.

5. Your list designs must be available for public view by September 1st. If your list entry is still set to private on that date, it will be disqualified.

Categories to Win
By entering, you are eligible to win any (or even all) of these categories.
Club Members' Favorite · A category where a popular vote will determine all user's favorite list design of the summer season. A voting thread will be opened later which all users are encouraged to vote in. Winner to be selected by club member's votes.

Best Imagery · The list design with the best choice of images will win this category. Maybe you're not good at coding, but know how to pick good anime images for a layout and display them well? Then this is a category you definitely have a shot at! Winner to be selected by judges.

Best Table and Menu Design · Are you really good at making lovely tables and menus? Then this is a category for you to try and win! Show us your best table design. Winner to be selected by judges.

Best Top Bar Design · Top bar design is a whole skill in itself! If there are any customized top bars (MAL control strip), they will be eligible for this category. Winner to be selected by judges.

Most Creative Design · What layout is the most creative or brings cool new ideas to the art form? Here is a category for you coding experts to show off your most creative ideas. Winner to be selected by judges.

Best Original Design · The best design made from scratch will win this award. You aren't eligible for this if you used one of our premade layout for this. Winner to be selected by judges.

Best Minimalist Design · The best minimalist style design will get its own award! To be eligible for this category, your list must meet this criteria:

Best Overall Classic Design · The best list design using the classic CSS. You aren't eligible for this if you used one of our premade layout for this. Winner to be selected by judges. Best design is based on imagery, table/menu design, topbar design, creativity, and useability.

Best Overall Modern Design · The best list design using the modern CSS. Winner to be selected by judges. Best design is based on imagery, table/menu design, topbar design, creativity, and useability.

Frequently Asked Questions
Click the spoiler for answers to FAQs in list design contests:

Any other questions can be asked in this topic.

Need Help?
We want everyone to do the best they are capable of, so I'm providing some resources for you here:

Good Luck to All Participants!
Shishio-kunAug 16, 2017 9:08 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 17, 2017 4:50 AM

Aug 2013
I suppose I could enter my anime list into this one ^^
Also, is it eligible for minimalist? x3
Pico-tanJun 17, 2017 4:54 AM

Jun 17, 2017 5:22 PM

Feb 2010
Pico-tan said:

Not for minimalist sorry- the background effect would be considered heavy loading. You COULD do an alternate version that removes the effect and I don't see how it wouldn't be minimalist atm
Jun 18, 2017 2:11 AM

Aug 2013
Shishio-kun said:
Pico-tan said:

Not for minimalist sorry- the background effect would be considered heavy loading. You COULD do an alternate version that removes the effect and I don't see how it wouldn't be minimalist atm
Oh, I don't actually want to to be minimalistic, it's just that I found it a bit funny that it would be such an arbitrary thing that would decide if it was x3

Jun 18, 2017 2:30 AM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
I'm entering both anime and manga list from my alternate profile.

♦ Preferred Resolution: 1920 x 1080. Can be viewed in lower resolutions too, but it's missing most of the extra content due to screen space. Lower resolution versions have different looking elements.
♦ Preferred Browser: Mozilla Firefox. Chrome is okay too, some minor differences. Not tested in other browsers, but please for the love of god, do not use Internet Explorer/Microsoft Edge.
Some info:
Total Size of CSS: 369 KB
Total Size of Images: 88.6 MB
Total Number of Images: 382
Total Time Spent Making: Lowest estimate is about 350 hours.
Features:
  • Fully customized rows with DVD cover images and comments that appear on hover.
  • Unique Category Menu that appears in a new layer on hover.
  • Uniquely designed Top Bar with animated effects on hover.
  • Additional content for special series (Favorites, Milestones and Honorable Mentions).
  • Large number of interactive elements.
  • Custom coded for different screen resolutions.
  • HD version includes a massive interactive gallery, and guidelines on each category page that instruct the user on how to explore the list.
At some point in your life, you have surely heard the phrases “less is more” and “good things come in small packages”.

This is not the case.

An important part when one seeks to mold something into the shape of its’ “muse” is, I believe, to capture and conserve its’ essence: not only aesthetically, but on a deeper, more intrinsic level, through retaining themes and motifs or perhaps the skeleton of the muse’s structure itself. In visual arts of any kind, this would of course be accomplished by heavily relaying on shapes, colors, and layout work.

This list style takes its’ inspiration from Steins;Gate, and it shows; not only stylistically, through the choice of elements based heavily on clockwork, but through the complexity of the layouting itself, which mirrors the series’ intricate plot construction.

Packing a great deal of features and extra content, it relies on on-hover panels to better compartmentalize its’ features, thus retaining a sense of order amidst the carefully planned chaos of disjointed, retro-tech elements.

♦ Preferred Resolution: 1366 x 768. Nothing additional to be gained with higher resolutions since it was created for laptops.
♦ Preferred Browser: Mozilla Firefox. The row extension code does not work on any other browser including Chrome, so viewing the list in them is pointless.
Features:
  • Minimal rows that expand on click, providing additional info.
  • Custom Category Menu.
  • Uniquely designed Top Bar with animated effects.
  • Additional content for special series (Favorites, Milestones and Honorable Mentions).
The soft blue glow of a clunky, heavy monitor; the scent of dust and heat exhaust; dial-up internet and its’ snail-paced connection. Crudely designed personal webpages, barebone and sparse or eclectically cluttered, but always making use of only basic RGB.

A fond childhood memory for some, but a real source of fear for many others.

For as long as man has been man, he has feared the unknown — variables are unknown and thus uncontrollable, which makes them dangerous.

People’s fear of technological advancement has always birthed new genres across art platforms, from Orwell’s 1984 to Burgess’ A Clockwork Orange to works more recognizable as part of a technological-fallout narrative such as Gibson’s The Neuromancer, which kickstarted the cyberpunk genre’s ascension, shaping real-world terminology as it went.

The idea of mental pollution to the point of one’s loss of a sense of “self” and the pervasive idea of assimilation paint the scene across many works now considered classics, and Lain is no exception.

It is, in many ways, a horror flick; and yet the bleak visuals hold a strange attraction.

This design allows you to take a trip down the memory lane and dip your feet in the Wired with its’ neat use of aesthetics — but can you be sure you’re on the outside looking in?

Half_Bl00dAug 29, 2017 4:54 PM
Jun 18, 2017 4:10 AM

Nov 2009
I'd glad to join but I don't know if I will be able to.
Jun 18, 2017 9:18 AM

Nov 2011
Well i might as well enter my current style as both a anime and a manga list.
This style is a classic style minimalistic poster layout (i'm not sure if poster styles are ok for the minimalist category)

Here is a picture of the list (i'm also using it if you want to check it out):

it's the same one i donated Here (i hope this is not a problem in regards to entering it in this contest :P)
If anyone is interested in checking it out (and possibly making their own variant)
I'm already doing it.
Jun 18, 2017 9:34 AM

Aug 2013
Sipeari said:
This style is a classic style minimalistic poster layout (i'm not sure if poster styles are ok for the minimalist category)

it's the same one i donated Here (i hope this is not a problem in regards to entering it in this contest :P)
If anyone is interested in checking it out (and possibly making their own variant)
Well, the pictures are too big for minimalistic, but basically you enter all categories you are eligible for automatically.

Jun 19, 2017 6:06 PM

Feb 2010
Sipeari said:

Yeah its fine to enter since you are the creator even tho you donated it

The covers a bit big for minimalist yes.
Jul 3, 2017 10:53 AM

Feb 2016
I'd like to try my animelist

MODERS – JUMP ON THE BOTTLE!!!

Jul 17, 2017 11:34 AM
Jun 2016
I wanna enter my animelist. I don't exactly understand what you mean by changing the colour palette,so can you please give me an idea to what they exactly means? Also, the images don't have to be anime-related, do they?
Jul 26, 2017 2:27 AM

Aug 2013
Takeshino said:
I wanna enter my animelist. I don't exactly understand what you mean by changing the colour palette,so can you please give me an idea to what they exactly means? Also, the images don't have to be anime-related, do they?
By changing the colour palette he means that, if you use a premade layout as a base for your design, you have to change the majority of the colours. Like the list headers and such. Also no, there is no rule against non-anime themed pictures.

Jul 27, 2017 1:30 PM

Jul 2013
entering with both my list. it's NSFW btw, the layout works best with this kind of list so, i hope its okay .-.
Jul 29, 2017 8:24 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
I wish to enter both my anime list and manga list. Any constructive criticism on my anime list would be appreciated. :3

Preferred viewing method (for both): Google Chrome at 1080p.

Jul 30, 2017 3:42 PM

Aug 2013
Valerio_Lyndon said:
Is there something missing in other browsers? If so I would say that is the first improvement point. There are extremely few cases where something is impossible to recreate in most of the popular browsers.

Jul 30, 2017 3:59 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Pico-tan said:
Valerio_Lyndon said:
Is there something missing in other browsers? If so I would say that is the first improvement point. There are extremely few cases where something is impossible to recreate in most of the popular browsers.
Are you referring to my request for Google Chrome?

I've tested on both Chrome and Firefox, so both themes should work on each equally. However, I find Firefox displeasing to look at due to the transition, transform and text rendering. So, while they should work in other browsers, I test on and run Chrome, making it a safer choice, along with subjectively looking better.
Aug 16, 2017 9:02 AM

Feb 2010
Calling past contest entrants! There's still a couple weeks to enter this contest. Keep in mind this is an unofficial free-for-all, so you can enter past list designs you've made.

@Kiokuzoku
@Bunnie
@FromZeroToZero
@nymphiae
@dperolio
@seaven
@burntjelly
@sylakentH
@tsiox
@d_cuy
@u531355
@lycelra_
@al_exs
@nadeko_
@kenet
@LukeLC
@cateinya
@doomcat55
Aug 20, 2017 7:36 PM

Feb 2014
Just crossed my fingers and signed up for the official contest. I'll enter my anime list here too as well, if submitting to both isn't a problem.

I've still got a lot of work to do, and not much time to do it, but I've been sitting on this half-finished design for almost a year now, so it's time to get cracking!
Aug 21, 2017 1:13 PM

Feb 2015
edit:

I'll enter with my manga list. Best viewed with Chrome (animations are smoother) but works fine with Firefox.

Hint: do not just hover over things, click on them ;)
CateinyaAug 30, 2017 1:40 AM
Aug 21, 2017 2:49 PM

Feb 2010
Cateinya said:
I'll enter with both lists, but I have no clue regarding which design I'll use. Hopefully I'll have some time to make a new one, but it will be quite hard to finish it in 10 days... I should have started working on it a lot sooner ^^"

I'll probably hold another one in the winter during Christmas Break, so you can save for then if you don't have time.
Aug 26, 2017 9:50 PM

Oct 2008
I'll enter my anime list in this one.
Aug 31, 2017 11:25 AM

Apr 2013
enter with myanimelist (foreverwip) and if its possible ill also enter a classic layout from my alt https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kioku-zoku

Aug 31, 2017 12:03 PM
Jun 2016
For clarity's sake, I'll write up a new post.

I want to submit my anime list, with a preferred resolution of 1920 x 1080, and Google Chrome as the preferred browser, just to play safe(I just couldn't test it but should work). Since this theme is gif-heavy (at least in my opinion) I made sure that every single gif is less than 500kb in size. I'll see if I can sneak in some edits before it's too late.I barely have internet...
Sep 3, 2017 4:46 PM

Feb 2010
Thanks for registering, everyone! I have opened the voting for your lists and you should get a notification for it soon.
Sep 4, 2017 11:03 AM

Apr 2013
@Shishio-kun ==a i think you forgot https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kioku-zoku
cant use modern and classic layout at the same time, so i had to use alt

Sep 4, 2017 11:11 AM

Feb 2010
Kiokuzoku said:
@Shishio-kun ==a i think you forgot https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kioku-zoku
cant use modern and classic layout at the same time, so i had to use alt

Sorry I did miss it, just added it. I feel awful I still messed up on two when I read the registration over twice. Haste does make waste!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» ❓ Ask for help here + See Frequently Asked Questions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shishio-kun - Apr 15, 2010

7812 by mtsRhea »»
Apr 21, 5:25 AM

» [CSS- MODERN] ⭐ Minimal Dashboard layout by 5cm ~ Compact and convenient! ( 1 2 3 )

Shishio-kun - Sep 4, 2020

121 by Pokitaru »»
Apr 21, 3:25 AM

» [CSS-MODERN] Change list text/font colors on any list layout

Shishio-kun - May 4, 2021

3 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

» [CSS] [VIDEO GUIDE] ⭐️ How to change fonts on a list layout

Shishio-kun - Jul 15, 2019

17 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 4:03 PM

» [CSS][Modern] ☀️ Endless Summer Layout by Cateinya ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cateinya - Aug 18, 2016

309 by hideso »»
Apr 20, 3:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.