Forum Settings
Forums

How do you deal with the lack of excitement in life?

New
May 19, 2017 1:01 PM

Jul 2012
What I mean is, is that presumably, everyone on this forum watches anime, right? Maybe some of you read books and play video games too.

The thing is, is that in all these fictional media, people go on exciting adventures fighting bad guys and saving the world. Maybe someone gets whisked away on an adventure through space. Maybe someone goes on a quest to save some damsel and they make a lot of friends along the way. Maybe the heroes just need to save the world from some ancient evil. But in all this media, strange and wonderous things happen. People do exciting and fun things.

But in real life, we all go about our daily lives. Nothing amazing ever happens. You won't get whisked off and go on space adventures. You won't gain super powers and save the world. You're just a normal human, going through normal everyday life. Maybe you go to school, or maybe you go to work. Maybe you're a NEET. Regardless, nothing that ever happens in fantasy media happens in real life.

How does one deal with this? Does it not feel painful knowing that none of this will ever happen? I found myself thinking about this after listening to some music from a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. The excitement and joy those games bring when you travel alongside a friend who would die for you to save the world....It all stops once you stop playing the game. You're not in that game anymore; you're back in real life. Where nothing amazing ever happens.

Or is this perhaps a pessimistic way of looking at things?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 19, 2017 1:08 PM

Apr 2017
did you just assume my anime watching? triggered.

well if youre looking for excitement and adventure id recommend 3 hits of lsd and a roadtrip to the mountains/desert/beach. crazy as shit 'fantasy' adventure 100% guaranteed.

unfortunately then youre right you have to come back to daily life and yeah it can suck even for the 'most successful' and is probably even more meaningless. idk man you just gotta do it.

so yeah pretty much go on adventures and have new experiences outside of normal life to deal with normal life is how i do it.
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
May 19, 2017 1:14 PM
Apr 2017
I just feel heartbroken about it. I feel like crying about it all the time. My life will never be exciting and full of adventures. Sorry, I don't have any advice. I wish life was exciting, but it's just depressing to me. That's why I surround myself with fiction. I don't know what I would do without it.
May 19, 2017 1:14 PM

Apr 2011
I'm perfectly fine with lack of excitement because usually that means not having to deal with stress and other bullshit.
May 19, 2017 1:16 PM

Feb 2015
I try to make it exciting as I can. My daily life is exciting as it is anyway, so I don't need to do anything...
May 19, 2017 1:27 PM
Dec 2014
I balance my nerdy activities with adrenaline filled activities (namely bungee jumping, skydiving and freestyle snowboarding). Might not come remotely close to fiction (watching Assassination Classroom did make me wish that I had life like that), but I can't say that my life is void of moments that I thought "Wow, that was awesome".
May 19, 2017 1:31 PM

Oct 2013
All those fictional mediums you mentioned helps provide enough excitement. Of course that's not the same as going out, making rivals, battling savagely as the protagonists usually do but who ever wants that?
May 19, 2017 1:35 PM

Jun 2015
im high literally every day. It's fucking great.
May 19, 2017 1:37 PM

May 2017
I sleep through the boring parts... <-two extra dots to meet minimum characters :)

May 19, 2017 1:39 PM

Sep 2014
I drink enough cocaine and snort lsd to ease the pain of my boring life.
May 19, 2017 1:41 PM

Dec 2015
Adderall said:

High on adderall? or on...other things?
May 19, 2017 1:44 PM

Aug 2016
Life is what you make out of it nothing more nothing less.
If you think life lacks excitement, then i'm sorry to say to a certain extent it's your own fault.

Like someone else mentioned you can take psychedelic to see that there is some wacky shit out there that we don't notice in oure everyday life, but using psychedelics as escapism is not so ideal.

Want a aventure take a big backpack and go on a journey. Go alone into nature, explore it. I assure you you will notice how beautifull and exiting life can be.
May 19, 2017 1:51 PM

Feb 2015
Anime and videogames provide all the excitement that I need. I'm content with my quiet and peaceful life as it is.
May 19, 2017 1:52 PM

Mar 2016
Write, and make my characters do shit I've always wanted to do.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

May 19, 2017 1:56 PM

Apr 2017
Adderall said:

whellllllllllll doesnt the magic eventually stop for you too (i know it does for me lol) and it becomes normal :\ wish it didnt though thatd be fucking great indeed.

also: tolerance
also: money
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
May 19, 2017 1:58 PM

Jan 2014
Masturbate, sleep and repeat.
#SignsofDepression
May 19, 2017 2:08 PM

Mar 2015
In my down time I do digital art to compensate for actually doing nothing with my life. I also play a load of horror indie games because I'm too lazy to make my own. I think that about covers that haha!

"Achieve not with the squad, but by yourself." - Urie

May 19, 2017 2:29 PM

Sep 2008
Battlechili1 said:
What I mean is, is that presumably, everyone on this forum watches anime, right? Maybe some of you read books and play video games too.

The thing is, is that in all these fictional media, people go on exciting adventures fighting bad guys and saving the world. Maybe someone gets whisked away on an adventure through space. Maybe someone goes on a quest to save some damsel and they make a lot of friends along the way. Maybe the heroes just need to save the world from some ancient evil. But in all this media, strange and wonderous things happen. People do exciting and fun things.

But in real life, we all go about our daily lives. Nothing amazing ever happens. You won't get whisked off and go on space adventures. You won't gain super powers and save the world. You're just a normal human, going through normal everyday life. Maybe you go to school, or maybe you go to work. Maybe you're a NEET. Regardless, nothing that ever happens in fantasy media happens in real life.

How does one deal with this? Does it not feel painful knowing that none of this will ever happen? I found myself thinking about this after listening to some music from a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. The excitement and joy those games bring when you travel alongside a friend who would die for you to save the world....It all stops once you stop playing the game. You're not in that game anymore; you're back in real life. Where nothing amazing ever happens.

Primarily? No because I don't actually self insert myself. I enjoy stories and emotions. I myself am almost devoid of emotion but I find "entertainment" in stories and what they feel and do. As for me, I go about my life "enjoying" these stories and will through any medium until the day I day. I don't really care about actually being the one to accomplish them. Why? Because to me I ingrain the stories into my mind, I don't need to be the one to accomplish them to find enjoyment from them.
May 19, 2017 2:44 PM

Jun 2015
I don't really deal with it well, honestly.

May 19, 2017 2:45 PM

Apr 2012
you smoke crack that's how????????????????

May 19, 2017 3:05 PM

Feb 2016
Wowowo, smh cant even

Did you just assume my life isn't exciting?
May 19, 2017 3:29 PM

Aug 2013
Very pessimistic. Just focus on staying mentally healthy and good things will come your way. The worst thing you can do is spazz out over fantastical dreams or anguish at the lack of fantasy in your life.
May 19, 2017 4:07 PM

Jun 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
Adderall said:

High on adderall? or on...other things?

naaaa otjer tjomgs. adderalyy resulyntly cus of finals tho. but not rn
May 19, 2017 4:08 PM

Jun 2015
Ikaros_42oh said:
Adderall said:

whellllllllllll doesnt the magic eventually stop for you too (i know it does for me lol) and it becomes normal :\ wish it didnt though thatd be fucking great indeed.

also: tolerance
also: money

no. just tlae more and more. I might try h soon. sh
May 19, 2017 4:12 PM

May 2017
It would be best to just go with the flow, as they say. But since I take it you don't want to do something like that, it would best to challenge yourself by doing something you would not expect to do. Whether it be exercising, swimming or reading, I think the “lack" of excitement will just be little noise in the long run.
albertbrownMay 20, 2017 11:53 PM
May 19, 2017 4:15 PM

Oct 2016
Apart from anime, I also watched Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad and I don't think my life would be more exciting of these two fictional worlds combine and become real.

Maybe just enjoy the fantasy setting while watching animes and don't let it bother you when you're on your 'real-life' setting. Think of them as separate~ (which should be, normal)

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

May 19, 2017 6:59 PM

Jan 2016
Well, I just trudge on and live life as they come. Until then i'll be, not may be that actively, be trying to make my life at least a little bit exciting
May 19, 2017 7:52 PM

Aug 2016
I stay online and try to ignore it.

Thanks for nothing.
May 19, 2017 7:53 PM

Oct 2014
I sleep or I think
Or watch a YouTube video
May 19, 2017 7:55 PM

Jul 2016
It's very exciting because everything I do will have long term pay off. I plan to become fluent in Japanese and fuck Japanese bitches one day.
May 20, 2017 2:50 AM

May 2015
There is excitement in watching a lot of anime and writing about it, though.

I try to diversify my life, to have a lot of hobbies and get to know people through them. Then I always have something to do. I may not go out on wild adventures, but life is quite exciting right now - so exciting I'm losing it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 20, 2017 3:00 AM

Jan 2010
Battlechili1 said:

I feel you. I feel this everyday. I made a thread the other day about feeling bad when I do nothing productive. It's connected with the feeling I get when I think about all the amazing adventures, excitements, deep bonds that I saw in my anime. How their life is so lively and exciting while I'm here in this boring world watching anime alone. Sometimes I feel the emptiness, the longing to have an amazing adventure, and exciting life just like them in all the anime I watched. It's depressing to be honest.
How do I deal with it?
Before, I still have activities like going to class, hang out with friends, etc, so I don't dwell in it too much. But now I've graduated, I seriously kind of lost.
Right now though, my plan is to save as much money, and then travel the world and make something amazing happen to me, not waiting for it to happen.
Also a company is definitely a must I think. But I'm single and I'm just hoping I'll meet someone right during my journey.
May 20, 2017 3:01 AM

Jan 2010
IpreferEcchi said:
It's very exciting because everything I do will have long term pay off. I plan to become fluent in Japanese and fuck Japanese bitches one day.

Good luck!

limit character limit damn it
May 20, 2017 3:15 AM

Jun 2016
There's a ton of exciting and interesting stuff which anime doesn't even touch on, you just gotta prevent fantasy stuff from raising your standards of excitement to an unrealistic point. Of course it's easier said than done, but it's worth the effort.
May 20, 2017 3:18 AM

Jan 2010
YaoiMaster said:
Write, and make my characters do shit I've always wanted to do.

Good idea!

character limittttttttttt
May 20, 2017 7:52 AM

Jul 2009
I try to refrain myself from being overly excited, being excited dont let me sleep well at night.

Well, i ... play games.
May 20, 2017 12:05 PM

Dec 2015
I sleep. It's actually pretty easy to get over that feeling for me that way.
I guess that's because I like living in my head more than doing life stuff.
Eh.
May 21, 2017 1:24 AM

May 2015
Shicchi said:
Battlechili1 said:

I feel you. I feel this everyday. I made a thread the other day about feeling bad when I do nothing productive. It's connected with the feeling I get when I think about all the amazing adventures, excitements, deep bonds that I saw in my anime. How their life is so lively and exciting while I'm here in this boring world watching anime alone. Sometimes I feel the emptiness, the longing to have an amazing adventure, and exciting life just like them in all the anime I watched. It's depressing to be honest.
How do I deal with it?
Before, I still have activities like going to class, hang out with friends, etc, so I don't dwell in it too much. But now I've graduated, I seriously kind of lost.
Right now though, my plan is to save as much money, and then travel the world and make something amazing happen to me, not waiting for it to happen.
Also a company is definitely a must I think. But I'm single and I'm just hoping I'll meet someone right during my journey.

What happened to all those connections you made in high school?
May 21, 2017 4:25 AM
May 2016
I make up for the lack of action in my life with alcohol. Simple as that
May 21, 2017 9:09 AM

Jan 2010
TheBrainintheJar said:
Shicchi said:

How do I deal with it?

Since I enrolled university, I kind of lost contact of all my high school friends. Well I still see their updates in social media like instagram and I'm friends in LINE messenger but we never chat or anything, let alone hang out. The fact that my high school and (my friends in high school) is in different city doesn't help (it took 4 hours from my house. I live alone (rent a room) in my high school days)
May 21, 2017 9:18 AM

Feb 2016
I have had a lot of high points in my life anyway and also tough at the same time.
May 21, 2017 10:05 AM

Apr 2015
Throughout the year, I would make time for 2-3 extremely exciting activities. Those activities could range from traveling and exploring new countries (eyeing Europe or Asia at the moment), going to conventions (which are a blast in itself, and even more so in cosplay), or join competitions (in sports or other activities). After having one of those activities, I would usually be exhilarated but also exhausted. Besides that, I do regular exciting things every week. For instance, I absolutely love going to restaurants and exploring the menu for dishes I have not tried. That's sufficient excitement for me.

Adventures, like in many adventure, fantasy or action anime, were appealing at first. Then, I realized that I likely don't have the protagonist's plot armor/super power, and would likely be relegated to one of those fodder deaths.
May 21, 2017 10:28 AM

Jun 2008
I never treated fiction as some place you want to escape to.

First, it's simply because it's never real, so it just doesn't make sense to me logically to want to be in a non-real place. Like, my imagination is so piss poor I can't imagine myself ever in that scenario.

Secondly, it's the idea that there's a lot of interesting things everywhere around us. But since you fail to explore these possibilities, for whatever reasons, and you see something in front of your screen and see all these vibrant, colorful wacky fictional places, and it's easy to notice a disparity between your life and the life at the other end of the screen.

Although, this is coming from a guy who's getting really bored lately. But I'm also realizing the importance of the dozens amount of choices you can make that you probably never made, that can make your life just more interesting. Even if you just have a teeny bit of potential interest something, you can probably sign up to something and explore a new opportunity.

But the onus is on you. You can make a million choices, but if you never do, you're stuck. And so the problem is inherently the person's own, and they have to realize they have the potential to change. Which may never happen, and I guess that'd be a sad thing to see.
May 21, 2017 11:06 AM

Jun 2011
I wouldn't want the kind of life most anime/game people have. A peaceful, non-exciting life suits me more than adventure.
May 21, 2017 11:09 AM

Jan 2017
Yesterday I was talking with girl - that was excitement and a huge adventure o.o

But, if seriously, then I think that it's the same thing when a lot of people complain about "Oh, I'd like to be him. He have such beautiful life and wonderful meetings in anime *.* / or beautiful love story or relationships" etc. They are ignoring real life where they too have such kind of things, just it is not so over idealistic or aren't so exaggerated.

(Ofc you won't meet dragon in real life or something like that, but excitement and adventure not only in that)
Ohayou
May 21, 2017 11:38 AM

Oct 2012
cut yourself until you almost die from blood loss.
drink alcohol 'till youre in a coma.
starve yourself until you look like a skeleton.

i did all these and i can say it made life seriously more spicy. no boredom anymore.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
May 22, 2017 7:31 AM

May 2015
Shicchi said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Since I enrolled university, I kind of lost contact of all my high school friends. Well I still see their updates in social media like instagram and I'm friends in LINE messenger but we never chat or anything, let alone hang out. The fact that my high school and (my friends in high school) is in different city doesn't help (it took 4 hours from my house. I live alone (rent a room) in my high school days)

What about people in the university? No one to talk to there?
May 22, 2017 7:41 AM

May 2009
I've actually thought of that so many times... I even initiate topics about it among my friends. Never tried, but some of them said, "try doing some troublesome things once in a while.. that'll make your life pretty damn thrilling"
To answer the question how I actually deal with the lack of excitement.... Probably just watch more anime, read more manga, write stories and draw.

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||||
May 22, 2017 8:12 AM

Jan 2010
TheBrainintheJar said:
Shicchi said:

What about people in the university? No one to talk to there?

Yeah, my current friends is my friends from my days in univ. Only have two people though. Not that I need to be surrounded by many people. We made group in LINE and occasionally chat there. We plan to hang out sometimes but our schedule rarely match up. We've graduated, we went separate ways. But I still put the effort to keep in touch with them.

One of them already working, the other is on the other side of the island continuing her studying. While I'm here in my room lurking in MAL forum lmao.
May 22, 2017 9:06 AM

Jul 2016
Severe OCD and crippling depression mostly
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

27 by Dracowyn »»
7 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

23 by Ejrodiew »»
29 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
49 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.