Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 30, 2017 12:54 PM

Aug 2012
http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Anime/#p=0&tab=NewReleases

Steam is also trying to cash in on the rising popularity Anime is getting lately.
Mar 30, 2017 12:56 PM

Jan 2015
MrAwesome2017 said:
http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Anime/#p=0&tab=NewReleases

Steam is also trying to cash in on the rising popularity Anime is getting lately.

That's been for a while now especially those fanservice anime games with pretty girls and nyan nyan lol :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Mar 30, 2017 12:58 PM

Jan 2009
>streaming only format

i was excited to have a legal download option already until i read that line
Mar 30, 2017 12:58 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I might actually get something from this if I can find the money the spare, honestly. They have Shinmai Maou no Testament there and I've been meaning to watch that anyway, it's on sale at the moment, and it'd be cool to try out just to see if it's any good at the very least.

Mar 30, 2017 1:03 PM

Aug 2012
Ultimatedeath said:
That's been for a while now especially those fanservice anime games with pretty girls and nyan nyan lol :3

True but i also saw Free! so they might add more fanservice Anime if this gets big lol.

I'm just happy they added Mafia Anime, Steam got taste.
Mar 30, 2017 1:06 PM

Jul 2014
pfft lol stream only? I prefer offline availability.
Mar 30, 2017 1:22 PM
Feb 2016
Pretty much all of these anime can be streamed for free on Crunchyroll. Their few older anime (Ghost in the Shell: SAC) are expensive af. I doubt Steam are going to make much money from this.
Mar 30, 2017 1:28 PM

Sep 2015
i can finally put anime on my steam wishlist? nice now i can transform it into a ptw 2.0....

j0x said:
>streaming only format

yeah kinda disappointing. i would have actually bought anime for the first time in my life during christmas sale

Nigami_ShinMar 30, 2017 1:32 PM

Mar 30, 2017 1:31 PM
Aug 2014
As soon as there comes a offline available option i might really consider it
Kabaneri for 4€ Rezero 8€ that is a good pricing imo
Mar 30, 2017 1:53 PM

Sep 2016
lol anime section has been there for ages.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 30, 2017 2:04 PM

Feb 2013
if it doesn't have Princess Nine season 2 it might as well not exist
Mar 30, 2017 3:34 PM

May 2015
Gaben requires your money

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2017 4:08 PM

Jan 2009
Nigami_Shin said:

j0x said:
>streaming only format

yeah kinda disappointing. i would have actually bought anime for the first time in my life during christmas sale

that bold part are my exact thoughts too, its gonna be my first time actually buying an anime legally if legal download option is available
Mar 30, 2017 6:28 PM

Dec 2015
>Only avaliable in English
>Charges for every episode
>Streaming only

Yeah I'll stick to my torrents thank you very much
Mar 31, 2017 12:25 AM

Dec 2013
I despise streaming a lot and go either download or buying boxes, so as much as I like steam and lord Gaven, sorry not going to throw my monies on these, unless as some people already said, there's offline features.
Mar 31, 2017 11:36 AM

Nov 2008
The compression must be awful.

Ghost in the Shell specs:
Video Resolution: 1080p (3.2GB)
Running Time: 83 minutes

Heh, one of the artworks they have for it is from Stand Alone Complex.

I've never seen this one: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/589880/ss_18968956d09173c2dd2a5714e91280f43dd7ab99.jpg

And I've never seen this one so clearly: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/589880/ss_9ccb43d2a5361db1b97f31163d16bf310f2cfabd.jpg
EzekielMar 31, 2017 11:41 AM

Mar 31, 2017 11:43 AM

Jan 2017
Eh.. Steam should just stick to games. I don't see this boding well for them because of all the other options out there right now such as Crunchyroll, Hulu, Netflix, Funimation, and the list continues.

im weeb trash

Mar 31, 2017 1:46 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I bought into this since it was cheap-ish.

I watched an episode of one of the ones I got just now, and it was actually a pleasant surprise in how it maintained a consistent 1080p and had 0 stutters or streaming issues whatsoever. It actually looked and went smoothly, moreso than the totally-legal sites I tend to use.

It's surprising mostly because I read that it ran like dogshit, though, in the reviews for Re;Zero's page. It shouldn't be that much of a surprise that a multi-national corporation runs a better streaming service than totally-legal alternatives. Or actual legal alternatives, including the one it's partnered with to bring anime to Steam to begin with, cough.

Subs are only available in English, though :V And it triggered the everliving fuck out of my OCD because it actually creates a group for each series inside of the library itself, like so- but an episode is only added to that group for the series after you've started it up. So I went through and started every single episode I'd purchased and added it to the right group, so people probably were mighty annoyed with the spam in the bottom right corner ._.

Mar 31, 2017 2:47 PM

Jul 2012
No Achievements!

Gosh steam, but why?
Mar 31, 2017 2:59 PM
Nov 2016
Why would somebody buy anime on steam when you can watch them free? If the offline availability is the advantage,then why not download them from torrents or animeheaven.
Mar 31, 2017 3:03 PM

Dec 2016
MihTheBestEVER said:
Why would somebody buy anime on steam when you can watch them free? If the offline availability is the advantage,then why not download them from torrents or animeheaven.

Because it's illegal & you want to support whoever publishes anime?
Mar 31, 2017 3:23 PM
Nov 2010
I'll probably get Ghost in the Shell and maybe something else to see how it works. Hopefully, it'll be good in the future and with more options and offers (like being able to watch offline).
Mar 31, 2017 3:30 PM

Aug 2014
Steam is a trusted client and all that, but I'd still prefer physical copies for things I really like. Regardlessly it not being available offline, kinda ruins the advantage buying them there would have. Might as well use Crunchyroll for the most part (besides maybe a couple of unavailable ones).
Mar 31, 2017 3:48 PM

Apr 2016
Steam streaming is terrible. I tried a movie from them, unwatchable due to constant buffering.
Man, I have to stop falling in love with fictitious high school girls'...moms!
Mar 31, 2017 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
Man, this sucks. I don't like the idea of using Steam for anything other than games, especially when it's implemented in a lamesauce way. And it's not like the storefront wasn't already
cluttered before with the endless supply of shitty Greenlight games and iPhone ports, this shit will just make it better amirite ,-,
Mar 31, 2017 4:10 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Noobc0re said:
Steam streaming is terrible. I tried a movie from them, unwatchable due to constant buffering.

Mm, it works great for me ._. Maybe that's just a problem on your end, but I've gotten very consistent quality with absolutely no buffering, and that's while my roommate is logged onto WoW.

Or it could be on my end, actually now that I think of it ._. We have ze stronk hessian internets so maybe it just runs better for me regardless

idk, i've already typed up this post so i'm sticking with it ;_;

Mar 31, 2017 4:23 PM
Nov 2016
1€/episode is way to expensive, at least considering its just a stream...
Mar 31, 2017 4:30 PM

Nov 2011
This would be noteworthy if they were downloads. A steam-like platform for anime is something I've been asking for for a long time. Steam itself could do it, of course.

With it being streams, though, it's just whether you want to pay a dollar or watch ads on one of the current legit streaming sites, which is meh and not that significant of a difference.
Mar 31, 2017 4:33 PM

Apr 2016
Manaban said:
Noobc0re said:

Mm, it works great for me ._. Maybe that's just a problem on your end, but I've gotten very consistent quality with absolutely no buffering, and that's while my roommate is logged onto WoW.

Or it could be on my end, actually now that I think of it ._. We have ze stronk hessian internets so maybe it just runs better for me regardless

Well, I mean... My internet is not terrible.
Man, I have to stop falling in love with fictitious high school girls'...moms!
Mar 31, 2017 4:45 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Noobc0re said:
Manaban said:

Well, I mean... My internet is not terrible.

I cede this dickmeasuring contest to you, kind sir

But I dunno man, it's still working great for me ._. Like, it's especially odd now seeing how you have twice the speed I do and yet I'm able to run it with no problems

although I agree with the sentiment that it'd be cooler to have it as a download instead of a stream that I keep seeing pop up in this thread

Apr 3, 2017 2:11 PM

Sep 2011
Today I was very surprised while browsing Steam when I saw this :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/600960/

Twin Star Exorcists on steam! is this new or is it old and I just didn't hear about it? because if this is new then it means ALOT to anime industry, this is massive and it needs more attention!
Apr 3, 2017 2:15 PM

Aug 2012
It's new but it's streaming only and i've heard some ppl are having bad quality watching it.
Apr 3, 2017 2:23 PM

Sep 2011
MrAwesome2017 said:
It's new but it's streaming only and i've heard some ppl are having bad quality watching it.

Still though this is great news for the Anime industry, Steam is a MASSIVE platform, I am sure they will improve upon this service.

Edit: it appears that this service opened up 3 days ago, and the library is looking quite good !

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&term=anime&category1=992

it appears that Crunchyroll has partnered with Steam , which means there's more to come, hopefully in Japanese audio too.

Edit2: Oh sorry I didn't realize there was already a topic about this :( Yeah it's streaming only, since downloading Anime can lead to people uploading it somewhere else easily, but I am sure Steam can work something out ?

Now I wonder if the money goes to Crunchyroll or to the Anime publishers ? Hopping for the latter, because that would add an extremely easy medium for people to support their beloved Animes.
XaxethApr 3, 2017 2:28 PM
Apr 3, 2017 6:00 PM

Jan 2015
Thread merged.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding (probably am), but hasn't steam had anime games for quite some time? Though the topic says buying anime, so I assume regular anime and not anime games? I didn't search too much since I don't have steam on my macbook.
Apr 3, 2017 6:26 PM

Sep 2011
Rawrberto said:
Thread merged.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding (probably am), but hasn't steam had anime games for quite some time? Though the topic says buying anime, so I assume regular anime and not anime games? I didn't search too much since I don't have steam on my macbook.

Thanks for merging the thread, sorry about that ^.^'' , Yes it's Anime, not Anime games but real Anime, they have Re:Zero and other good stuff, although the streaming service is not as good as it should be but hopefully this issue will be addressed soon!

More topics from this board

» Why are modern anime fights so awful?

_Nette_ - Yesterday

41 by Rinar »»
7 minutes ago

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - Today

45 by FanofAction »»
16 minutes ago

» Best White Hair guy in anime?

RedTea33 - 3 hours ago

3 by ninjaberserker »»
39 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list?

Cammell - 10 hours ago

45 by TRC_Randy »»
41 minutes ago

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Yesterday

70 by FanofAction »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.