Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 22, 2017 1:06 AM

Oct 2013
I see a lot of stigma around anime and I've personally been there before I started watching. So I just recently had an argument with a guy who really loved an anime called "One punch man" but he definitely wasn't a fan of anime, to which my response was that OPM is an anime and "loving" it kinda contradicts that statement.

But I would like to hear what you guys think, does there exist an imaginary line at which point you suddenly become a a fan(or as he would say, weeb), if so how many and for how long do you have to watch?
KempsiiFeb 24, 2017 3:03 AM
Feb 22, 2017 1:22 AM
May 2016
It only depends on what the person in question thinks.
Feb 22, 2017 1:34 AM

Feb 2017
Loving one specific anime doesn't make you a fan of anime. it's more like saying I liked Gangnam Style but i don't really like Kpop.
Feb 22, 2017 1:40 AM

Jun 2014
Kempsii said:
I see a lot of stigma around anime and I've personally been there before I started watching. So I just recently had an argument with a guy who really loved an anime called "One punch man" but he definitely wasn't a fan of anime, to which my response was that OPM is an anime and "loving" it kinda contradicts that statement.

But I would like to hear what you guys think, does there exist an imaginary line at which point you suddenly become a weeb, if so how many and for how long do you have to watch?
Of course he isn't an anime fan if he only loves one show of the medium. Though, I need details. Does he enjoy more?

I do think however if he liked OPM then he might enjoy more. Also, to be a fan of anime is when you watch the medium and something in your brain tells you you're enjoying what you are seeing and feel motivated to watch more.

However, there are different levels of being a fan. Most watch very little or move on when they hit a certain age. Others like many MAL users do not!
Feb 22, 2017 1:44 AM

Dec 2015
Which one are you interested about after all OP? about anime fans or weebs? Cause being a fan doesn't automatically make you a weeb like you might think.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 22, 2017 11:07 AM

Oct 2013
Kagami said:

But I would like to hear what you guys think, does there exist an imaginary line at which point you suddenly become a weeb, if so how many and for how long do you have to watch?
Of course he isn't an anime fan if he only loves one show of the medium. Though, I need details. Does he enjoy more?

I do think however if he liked OPM then he might enjoy more. Also, to be a fan of anime is when you watch the medium and something in your brain tells you you're enjoying what you are seeing and feel motivated to watch more.

However, there are different levels of being a fan. Most watch very little or move on when they hit a certain age. Others like many MAL users do not!

From what I know he does not watch other animes and he is judgmental of others who do. Then he goes on to praise OPM saying he "loved it", I just feel like your a hypocrite if look down on others and then do the same thing they do.
Yea it's a hard to tell if you haven't watched a few at least, like someone else already said I guess the number is entirely up to the individual who's looking at it.

joe_g7 said:
Which one are you interested about after all OP? about anime fans or weebs? Cause being a fan doesn't automatically make you a weeb like you might think.

I don't have any preconceptions about either fans or weebs, i'm just using weebs because that's how he described people who watch anime.
Feb 22, 2017 11:24 AM

Nov 2015
Maybe the reason he liked OPM is because it takes the piss out of all those ridiculous, non-sensical shonen titles that most anime fans rally behind.
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Feb 22, 2017 11:34 AM

Dec 2015
Kempsii said:
joe_g7 said:

I don't have any preconceptions about either fans or weebs, i'm just using weebs because that's how he described people who watch anime.
Seems like the person you had a fight with was born retarded since he didn't know the basic difference between an otaku and a weeaboo, so you just basically wasted your time trying to reason with him.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 22, 2017 12:10 PM

Apr 2014
for me its when you wanna watch more series for the same enjoyment you got the first time
then once you appreciate it, you can become a weeb, casual fan, or stifler just adding 30 series to his/her list everyday :]
Feb 22, 2017 12:21 PM

Feb 2016
If the reason you like the anime you watch because of how it is conveyed and not only for its plot if its lets say good.
Feb 22, 2017 12:24 PM

Apr 2015
Do you love the medium, or just some products of the medium?

For example, I love NASCAR Plate racing, but I haven't called myself a NASCAR fan for three years now. I just tune in 5 times a year for the plate races and tune out afterwards.

It is possible to love a handful of things from a medium but not care about, or even detest, the medium in general.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 22, 2017 12:55 PM

Oct 2013
InsaneLeader13 said:
Do you love the medium, or just some products of the medium?

For example, I love NASCAR Plate racing, but I haven't called myself a NASCAR fan for three years now. I just tune in 5 times a year for the plate races and tune out afterwards.

It is possible to love a handful of things from a medium but not care about, or even detest, the medium in general.

That's an interesting point, even if you like the comedic aspect or some specific type of anime you might still detest the community or anime culture, I didn't think about it like that.
I personally don't enjoy most anime with fan service bc I think it's stupid but I still consider myself a anime fan even though so many have it.
Feb 22, 2017 12:59 PM

Dec 2016
I've been watching Anime since the 80's, and there's a really good OldSchool Anime about this very subject called "Otaku no Video"

For me the line was when you started dressing up in cosplay, that meant you had gone full blown Otaku.

But for me the thing I can't stand is the double standards. If someone dresses up in Starwars, or Batman that's OK. But if someone dresses up like a Anime characer then well their a weeb...
Feb 22, 2017 1:03 PM

Oct 2014
When do you become a 'fan' in anything? Obsession? Possibly. Admiration? Might as well. There is no clear moment to when you are classified as a fan, there is no degree as such.
Feb 22, 2017 1:46 PM

Nov 2016
If you like several anime and keep searching for new ones you are a fan. Simply liking one series doesn't really make you a fan of anything besides that particular series. It's like saying "I like this one metal band, so now I'm a metalhead" lol
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Feb 22, 2017 1:47 PM

Nov 2011
do you like an anime series / movie?
yes - congratulations, you're an anime fan.
no - you didn't find anime series / movie you enjoy yet...keep looking!
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Feb 22, 2017 4:41 PM

Jun 2014
@Kempsii - The guy just sounds like a hater and since he's a hater no amount of logic will get through to him. I still think since he likes OPM that his brain is open to enjoying other anime, but at the end of the day its whatever. Some people are just ignorant and its hard to change their mindset on things.
Feb 22, 2017 5:55 PM

Dec 2016
The same as a fan of anything else: Once you start going out of your way (actively searching) animes out of enjoyment. Just like anyone would keep searching up new songs once they become a fan of a band.
Feb 22, 2017 6:35 PM

Nov 2013
Thread moved from Casual Discussion
+ minor thread clean up from spam posts.
Feb 22, 2017 6:45 PM

Jun 2015
Despite having watched many series, I don't consider myself a fan of anime.

I don't really think simply liking makes you a fan. To be a fan constitutes you liking the whole
medium. Just like just because you enjoy most of the songs of a certain singer does not constitute to being a fan of them.
Feb 22, 2017 7:23 PM

Jun 2013
When you have the knowledge and ability to recommend anime to non-anime fans.
Feb 22, 2017 7:27 PM

Feb 2015
Feb 23, 2017 1:21 AM

Jul 2016
You become a fan of anime the moment you make a MAL account.
Feb 23, 2017 1:25 AM

May 2015
I'd say you become a fan of anime after you watch a certain amount and decide that you like anime as a whole. By that, I don't mean just watching an anime because it had a cool premise.

Rather, you like the whole medium, the art style and so forth. You view it as something separate and you explore it on its own. It becomes a unique entity, not just a cartoon that happens to be in Japanese but a hobby.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 23, 2017 1:41 AM

Apr 2011
Ten years ago, I was 14 and Fruits Basket made me cry. [I thought it was going to be about fruit somehow, not kidding.] Obviously a mistake, a good one. ;b
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Feb 23, 2017 1:54 AM

Jan 2017
I think most Westerners get a hold of Anime along with Disney productions ~ i.e Studio Ghibli films like Totoro, Poncho, Spirited away ect.

- Then the rest lies purely to whether you have any friends or shame.
Only without these two things will you transform into the creature they call Otaku.
“Join my wander, to a yonder. In search of the meaning from mystery & wonder ...
And when tragedy finds us, and breaks our bodies, we'll find peace in one shared mind.”

Feb 23, 2017 2:05 AM

Apr 2016
When you bought your first body pillow. Also with this action you seal your doom.
Feb 23, 2017 3:11 AM

Nov 2011
Well a weeb and an anime fan are not the same thing, for one. Weeaboo (or "weeb") is a slur for someone who idolizes Japanese culture and considers it wholly superior to Western cultures. To them, if it's Japanese, it's good. They tend to litter their speech with Japanese words or phrases and such too. The most extreme, creepiest parts of the anime fandom are often associated with weeabooism.

Note that studying Japanese culture, learning Japan's language, visiting (or even moving to) Japan, or otherwise taking interest in Japanese culture and its products does not make one a weeaboo. It is only when one begins to idolize or "worship" Japan and its culture that one could be correctly called a weeaboo.

That being said, shocker, most Western anime fans aren't weeaboos. Having watched thousands of anime and manga and owning BDs/manga doesn't make you a weeaboo. It might make you a really big fan, but being a fan of a Japanese medium does not mean you idolize Japan or its culture.

As for the question asked, you're an anime fan as soon as you decide you are. Any lines others might try to draw are generally arbitrary, meaningless, and potentially elitist. A person can only decide for themselves if they are a fan of something; nobody else can add to or limit that.

As for the person you mentioned, I do think it's hypocritical to simultaneously love OPM and bash anybody who enjoys anime since OPM is an anime. However, one can enjoy many anime without necessarily considering themselves a fan of the medium, and they're not necessarily wrong for thinking that way.
TripleSRankFeb 23, 2017 3:17 AM
Feb 23, 2017 3:18 AM

Jun 2014
Brb said:

I don't really think simply liking makes you a fan. To be a fan constitutes you liking the whole
medium. Just like just because you enjoy most of the songs of a certain singer does not constitute to being a fan of them.

I would say watching over 20k episodes and having over 340 watched would make you a fan. At least, you have a reason for going back after 20k episodes.

Its your call if you want to call yourself a fan and you have that right, but I think I am a fan and have 10k less episodes than you do.
Feb 23, 2017 4:57 AM

Oct 2015
honestly thought this topic was gonna filled with generic casuals who claim to be fans after like 20-30 animes =_=

totally wrong, so rip cant use my rant, but i'll say this

if you are willing to learn and find out more about the industry, doesnt matter about what, is when you're a fan
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Feb 23, 2017 5:22 AM

Apr 2014
When you enjoy watching anime, and you watch like 30 shows a year or something...
Feb 23, 2017 7:30 AM
Aug 2015
Whenever someone wants to call themself a fan. If you've watched 100+ series or even just a couple nobody can tell you that you aren't a fan if you want to consider yourself one. On the other hand in the case of OP's scenario if someone doesn't want to be considered a fan then they don't have to need to call themself a fan. Seeing other anime fans or fans of any community I am a part of wag their fingers at others and dictate what they can call themselves is one of the most irritating things I see because it just turns people off from the community since it doesn't really matter if someone wants to consider themself a fan.
Feb 23, 2017 8:40 AM

Mar 2016
When one started to like the op/end song of animes as well.
Feb 23, 2017 8:54 AM

Oct 2013
adams215 said:
Seeing other anime fans or fans of any community I am a part of wag their fingers at others and dictate what they can call themselves is one of the most irritating things I see because it just turns people off from the community

It's funny because that's basically what I did, I felt like being an ass to him(well deserved in my humble opinion) but I realized how easy he could have just shut me down had he been a bit smart about it. In the end he went, "Fine I take it back, I hate OPM, now you cant call me a weeb(fan) anymore".
Feb 23, 2017 9:16 AM

Oct 2013
darkkunai said:
as days pass
people get more stupid

like seriously

u dont have to e a fan of something to like it
i like pepsi
but not other drinks?
does that make me a drinking fan?

okay that was bad ex
but still

threads in anime discussion get so stupid that i cant stop my self but troll

Superior beings such as yourself shouldn't have to bless us casuals with your presence.
I think it's a good question and most answers in this discussion are very sensible and well thought out.
Feb 23, 2017 9:45 AM

Mar 2014
My thoughts on this are that if you've watched 1 or 2 anime series rather than a fan you're someone who's found a few series and is a fan of the series themselves but not yet the medium as a whole. Eventually if someone goes on to watch more shows 10-20 for example I don't know but I think that's where I'd say someone is getting into anime starting to sort of acknowledge the medium and become.. a fan.

But either way these don't always apply since you can be a whole range of groups that anime viewers like to use, casuals, elitists, veterans etc - You may have been watching anime since 1990's but only watch 1 or 2 a year but would I say you're a fan, sure! It mostly comes down to when you've got a sort a palette of anime you've seen of a few of each different genres or something then there's no way someone could really discredit you being a fan of the medium that is anime, and if they do then they've got some unique high standards to be a fan.
Feb 23, 2017 10:02 AM

Feb 2010
Kempsii said:

First you say fan, then you say weeb. Those are completely different things. You're an anime fan (as of in the medium as a whole) if you like anime in general, and not just a few isolated shows or one or two genres but nothing else. You can like a part of something without being a fan of the whole so I wouldn't say liking any one anime or genre makes you a fan of the medium. It makes you a fan of that series, or that genre. But to be considered a fan of a whole medium I think you need to appreciate it on a more holistic level.

As for when you become a weeb, it's when you start talking japanese gibberish and think everything is superior just because it's from japan and not the west.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 23, 2017 10:30 AM

May 2009
I'm not really a fan of "anime".

Just a fan of some things, that follow a pattern such that it's convenient for me to find places like MAL to putz around on.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 24, 2017 12:44 AM

May 2015
Pullman said:
Kempsii said:

First you say fan, then you say weeb. Those are completely different things. You're an anime fan (as of in the medium as a whole) if you like anime in general, and not just a few isolated shows or one or two genres but nothing else. You can like a part of something without being a fan of the whole so I wouldn't say liking any one anime or genre makes you a fan of the medium. It makes you a fan of that series, or that genre. But to be considered a fan of a whole medium I think you need to appreciate it on a more holistic level.

As for when you become a weeb, it's when you start talking japanese gibberish and think everything is superior just because it's from japan and not the west.

I think you missed his point. He's part of a generation that uses 'weeb' to describe anyone who watches anime without irony.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 24, 2017 2:57 AM

Oct 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
Pullman said:

I think you missed his point. He's part of a generation that uses 'weeb' to describe anyone who watches anime without irony.

I think you both missed the point.

Kempsii said:
joe_g7 said:

I don't use weeb to describe anyone watching anime, the guy I was arguing with was the one using "weeb". But your right in that I do think the overuse of the word "weeb" has morphed the original meaning of the word to people who don't watch anime.
My bad I will add some context to why I used the word so it won't get confused anymore.
Feb 24, 2017 3:20 AM

May 2015
I like the medium to some degree but I am not a fan of it because there's also plenty of aspects I dislike about it. I am a fan of many series but I wouldn't call myself an anime fan.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 3, 2017 10:34 PM

Nov 2014
When i started to regularly watch anime and enjoyed a lot of series while watching them..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Mar 4, 2017 12:35 AM

May 2014
I think you become an anime fan when you want to discover more anime to watch.
Mar 4, 2017 10:39 AM
Feb 2016
You goddamn weebophobes, being a fan of anime is caused by genetic not environmental factors.
Mar 4, 2017 11:19 AM

Dec 2016
You know you're a true fan when you can wank off to your waifu and feel no shame afterwards.

What's the difference?
Mar 4, 2017 1:43 PM

Jul 2015
Brb said:

I agree with your statement, but I don't really think it applies in your case (don't worry I'm not trying to start an argument). Like, if we were to use your example of listening to a singer, than in your case, it would be like saying you've listened to almost all of the albums of a particular singer, yet you say you're not a fan of them.. Like it sort of contradicts in a way, because like, how can you continue to listen to the artist throughout their many different albums and still not consider yourself a fan? Can someone who's "not" a fan, really go to that extent without actually being considered a fan? I'd say your statement works when you haven't seen much anime, but to someone who has seen 800+ anime, it's hard to believe that they're not a fan.

But on-topic, to be a fan of anime, I'd say it's more than just liking a particular series. Going back to the above example of music, I can't really consider myself a fan of a particular artist if I only listen to one of their songs.. I'd say it goes beyond that and involves liking the medium as a whole.

caught in the wonder
Mar 4, 2017 3:39 PM

Dec 2012
A fan of "anime" likes multiple shows in the anime medium. A fan of *insert show here* is just a fan of that show.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

More topics from this board

Poll: » What makes you rewatch an anime

nishant0 - Apr 5

32 by Rinrinka »»
10 minutes ago

» Best black haired girl? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Jan 25

61 by Hikinekomori »»
10 minutes ago

» Out of most favoured female characters in Myanimelist, which ones are waifubaits?

Sanjay63773 - Apr 5

19 by MogKnight »»
11 minutes ago

» Best purple haired girl?

Spunkert - Jan 29

43 by Hikinekomori »»
13 minutes ago

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 4

83 by tectacles »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.