Forum Settings
Forums

That anime you wanted to be good so bad but...

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 15, 2017 6:03 AM

Apr 2015
God Eater and Gangsta are the ones that come to my mind.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 15, 2017 7:24 AM

Apr 2014
RedInfinity said:
I think what you are referring to is any bad adaptation of a beloved source material. I mean to produce expectations mean that something had to be met, despite what reviews/friends/etc say about it.
As for original anime, I tend to not have any expectations as to enter within without any manipulation of my purest thoughts.
But that's just my thinking

interesting way to put it fren :]
i don't really read source material tho just the synopses
but have u ever been disappointed about a poor adaptation from the source :]
Feb 15, 2017 7:32 AM
Jun 2016
Toradora was good but with that high rating I kind of expected more..the slice of life portions just felt like the usual and the fact that Minorin has more fans than Ami confuses me xD Ami FTW!
Feb 15, 2017 7:32 AM

Oct 2014
Intelos said:
Aquamirror said:
I really wanted to like Katanagatari but the main characters were fucking terrible. I felt kinda shitty for the "bad" guys. And that ending was soooooooooooo bad. Authors trolling their readers/viewers didn't help either.. I don't know why people hype that anime with such obnoxious characters.

Totally agree. I cannot piece together why EVERYBODY loves the ending so much. It was so predictable and too literal. It was like a typical shounen finale which was so unfit for a series that challenged the way for telling a story. What a shame.....

Whatchu say in' maite y doncha fuckya waifuus lik dat of ya profile picture bruh
Feb 15, 2017 7:37 AM

Sep 2011
Yes ! it's Seikon no Qwaser , just look at the main character :

He looks like a decent guy in a decent anime , right ? right ? RIGHT ?!

Except his main source of power is drinking human breast milk, RIGHT FROM THE SOURCE !

I dived in just for the hell of it....but I couldn't continue...
Feb 15, 2017 7:47 AM
Apr 2013

Seikon no Qwaser was just ridiculous. Mirai Nikki and Akame ga Kill were also terrible to watch (though I still want to finish Akame ga Kill to see how bad it gets.) Also when I first started watching Sword Art Online I thought it would be good. It was not. Same goes for Accel World.

Best Waifu: Holo - Spice and Wolf
Favorite Anime: Steins; Gate
Read my Wolf's Rain fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12618229/1/Finding-Paradise-Wolf-s-Rain
Feb 15, 2017 8:51 AM

Aug 2012
Tokyo Ghoul. The way people praised it was huge and it is very popular. After watching it twice, it's so overrated, it's disgusting. The show barely makes sense and Kaneki is one annoying main character.
Feb 15, 2017 9:09 AM

Feb 2017
This would be the prime time to talk about how hooked into Guilty Crown I was after I watched the first episode.

I was like "OMG so different... wow this music... holy cow incorporated into the intro/outro?!?!"

Then I kept watching and that all wore off... I was like, "where is this going... this reminds me of a knock-off version of some other anime but with really good animation."

Eventually it became, "oh crap, they're trying to incorporate Biblical elements, that never goes well in anime... yup... there's an apple for some reason... oh dear..."

Then it ended.
And I was free again.
I could watch other things.

Shame... Shame.... SHAME.... Guilty Crown...
Feb 15, 2017 9:17 AM

Oct 2008
I usually drop a show if it doesn't interest me by the 3rd episode (or 4th or later depending on popular opinion). It's a very large chunk of time wasted to sit through an entire anime. Even if people insist it's worth it or it starts getting better after 30+ episodes.
There's just so much more to watch,that's like doing a chore you hate unnecessarily. XD Why?
Feb 15, 2017 9:34 AM

Jul 2014
Psycho Pass 2. I loved its predecessor and thus I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately I was sorely disappointed due to a dull new cast, a bland villain and horrible plot twists.
Take care of yourself

Feb 15, 2017 9:36 AM

Jul 2014
Plenty of shows. I think probably the biggest examples are Nisekoi and No Game No Life, especially the latter. I thought the premises for both sounded interesting, but I ended up not liking anything about the shows themselves.
Feb 15, 2017 9:50 AM

Feb 2016
Twin Star Exorcists.
It started out so good.
I got some FMA:B-vibes from the story.
And now this shit is going the same generic cliché route as every other anime out there.
Feb 15, 2017 11:02 AM
Dec 2014
There are quite a few, but at the top or thereabout I'll have to go with Mirai Nikki. I liked the premises, and I remember a number of RL anime friends liking it and ended up loathing it for the two lead characters.

I liked the idea of an MMORPG setting so I wanted to like SAO, especially after the first episode and the opening theme, but it quickly disappointed (and that was without any expectations). Ditto with Overlord. That put me off from checking out others of the same genre (though I may one day try hack//SIGN and Accel World).

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse is another one. I loved how dark and gritty the series started off, but I quickly picked up it's eroge roots and was put off (and dropped it) after it looked like it was turning into harem.
Feb 15, 2017 11:12 AM

Aug 2015
Tsubasa Chronicles 2nd Season.
I liked the first season, adored the manga and the ovas but the second season are a boring mess with awful pacing and the second half are downright boring with shitty filler arcs and a dogshit ending that screams read the manga

Shigatsu.
Loved the music but everything else are such a train-wreck. It has the worst tone shifts I seen in anime.

D.N Angel.
It really the potential too, be great but in end it just became such a cheese feast with mary sues and trash pacing.

Space Dandy Both Seasons
I really liked the setting and the visuals but everything else was terrible with boring and unlikable characters that are bunch of stereotypes and most of the episodic episodes were poor executed and boring.

Gundam Build Fighters Try and Code Geass R2.
I love both of those first seasons but both of this squeals are such fucking train-wrecks that ruined everything that I love about those first seasons.

Gundam Wing.
The whole show are a cringe-worthy nostalgia feast with trash characters, stupid themes and politics that go nowhere shitty animation along with lots of stock-footage. Also the dub are utter trash with a bunch of miscasts.
TakaCodeFeb 15, 2017 11:24 AM
Feb 15, 2017 11:34 AM

Jan 2017
Fate/Zero, most boring and stupid show
REVIVE MECHA
Feb 15, 2017 11:38 AM

Apr 2015
I guess I liked No Game No Life - I wanted to be as impressed with it as everyone else seemingly was though.

That's also sort of how I'm feeling with Yuri!!! on Ice right now.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 15, 2017 11:40 AM

Feb 2016
Inazuma Eleven
I use to love this show when I was a kid but after re-watching the show it has aged really badly.
Awful first arc, awful pacing in the first and third arc, almost all of the character apart from endou, kazemaru and the few others were bland and underdeveloped. Not to mention the show overstayed its welcome.

Trigun.
I might get some flack here but here me out.
I didn't like the show at all because I really hated the tone of the show and I didn't like any of the characters besides Wolfwood.

All Bee Train anime apart from Tsubasa.
All of them are awful visuals and shitty pacing that bored me to tears...

Re.Zero.
Arc 3 and Subaru really killed this anime from being good.

Black Cat.
A dogshit adaptation from one of my favorite manga's series.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders both seasons.
I really want to like this Jojo part but its just so boring...
Feb 15, 2017 11:49 AM

Mar 2014
Noragami. The romance totally ruined it.
Cowboy bebop and samurai champloo, I just did not enjoy them but felt like I had to give them a high score since I should have liked them.
Fate/stay night. Boring, sorry.
Feb 15, 2017 12:14 PM

Mar 2016
CairAndros said:
Fate/Zero had a lot going for it, but it reduced itself to being the eroge it is.

You're saying fate zero is an eroge? I didn't see any sex in the series?
Unless you count characterization as erotic or something???

Also it was fate stay night that was adapted from an eroge. Zero is adapted from an LN, which I uavnt read but I believe It isn't sensual
ExtectFeb 15, 2017 12:18 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 15, 2017 1:06 PM
Jul 2018
Shinsekai yaoi, tbh I didn't hate it that much but it was so fucking booooooooooooring and the story didn't get me, its message wasn't something too original either even tho personally I don't care about originality but since everyone claims how original SSY is I just feel like poining it out, the characters were... There, can't even remember their names, the music was meh tho that one ED was kinda nice, the time-skips where in my opinion poorly timed and confusing and in the end it was a one giant meh.
Feb 15, 2017 1:36 PM
Aug 2011
CairAndros said:

Fate/Zero had a lot going for it, but it reduced itself to being the eroge it is.

uhh. Fate/Zero isnt an Eroge, its fate/stay night. Fate/Zero is base from a novel that was writen by Urobutcher and Kinoko Nasu
Feb 15, 2017 1:43 PM

Jan 2017
Code Geass because it was supposed to be like Death Note. I was expecting a clever story with a lot of mind games from the main character. The story and pacing was a mess and the mind games almost non existant. They tried so hard to make him look smart..
Insert deep quote here
Feb 15, 2017 1:49 PM

Feb 2014
I legit think that everyone that says they like Fate/Zero does it ironically.

I REALLY wanted one person explain me one single good thing about this show.
thewiruFeb 15, 2017 1:59 PM
Feb 15, 2017 2:15 PM

Aug 2013
I thought that with such a high score and such good reviews, Higurashi was gonna be amazing.
Fucking hell was it horrible...the only reason i finished it was because at the time i didn't have my own computer, and my sister was watching it on her laptop ever the summer vacation...
Feb 15, 2017 2:27 PM

Oct 2016
Black bullet before its release looked promising. But man, was that a disappointment.
Feb 15, 2017 2:44 PM

Mar 2016
thewiru said:

Okay I'll try
First I like the atmosphere as aparently I'm an edgy teenager

Second, I enjoy the interactions between unique characters with different psychological outlooks on life (main reason it is my favorite show)

Third, most of the characters are morally gray

Fourth, lack of plot armor and an unpredictable ending(I watched zero before stay night, and personally believe that's the better order)

Fifth, summoning past heroes and having them fight is a pretty cool idea

Sixth, saber is literally everyone's waifu (just kidding that's weeb shit) but her desire for the grail and willingness to work with a master she disliked in order to fulfill her wish, along with her development after talking to rider was well done

Only reason I could think of not to like fate zero

Archer doesn't even use a bow
Feb 15, 2017 2:52 PM

Nov 2014
The one that comes to mind is Kiznaiver. Had beautiful looking art and seemed to have a really great and interesting premise but I guess I hyped it up too much and it ended up being mediocre at best :(
Feb 15, 2017 2:53 PM

Sep 2016
thewiru said:

basically eyebleach with flashy action scenes. same reason people watch tales of zestiria. the content itself is a garbage battle royale.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 15, 2017 6:37 PM
Jul 2018
Extect said:
CairAndros said:

You're saying fate zero is an eroge? I didn't see any sex in the series?
Unless you count characterization as erotic or something???

Also it was fate stay night that was adapted from an eroge. Zero is adapted from an LN, which I uavnt read but I believe It isn't sensual

No, I didn't mean that it became an eroge. I'm saying that it brought back the traits from the eroge such as the overall ambience of how generic it felt and so on. I do not count characterization as erotic. I'm just saying that the storytelling became a mess.

As for the fate stay night and eroge part, it doesn't matter. I'm only counting it as a whole for the series, not that specific title.
Feb 15, 2017 7:00 PM

Apr 2014
@raspberys yeah I agree Kiznaiver had the premise to be a good 2 cour series; they just didn't have enough episodes at the rate they were going :[

@TheKazeTrigger lol i felt the same about Space Dandy too, but it was too wacky and weird and that was the part i liked about it

@animesannin yeah I still never finished God eater and I started watching it when it first came out :[
Feb 15, 2017 7:02 PM

Jan 2016
OMG don't even get me started with Magi. I really had hopes for it.

Lines
Feb 15, 2017 7:05 PM

Oct 2014
Mariecat1 said:
Toradora was good but with that high rating I kind of expected more..the slice of life portions just felt like the usual and the fact that Minorin has more fans than Ami confuses me xD Ami FTW!

the why people love this naive optimistic girls like minorin always confuse me
ami is by the best girl in toradora
Feb 15, 2017 7:12 PM

Feb 2017
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri/Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.

The animation was pretty good and I like the zombies, gore, and overall genre. It seemed promising for the first 2-3 episodes before it started going downhill. With every episode after that as it kept getting worse I was still watching, hoping, it would improve. Sadly nope. I still feel annoyed at Mumei/whatever her original name is.
Feb 15, 2017 7:13 PM

Oct 2014
thewiru said:

the animation in fate zero is overall pretty awesome from backgrounds to battle coreograpy to the special effects it is solid work in every regard my only problem is that they should use more visual storytelling instead of relying in dozen of infodumps in the first season
and why would everyone need to be ironical to say they enjoyed fate zero?
Feb 16, 2017 12:49 AM

Mar 2016
Guilty Crown.If Shuu wasn't in this anime,Guilty Crown would have been better I guess.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Feb 16, 2017 1:01 AM

Apr 2011
I wanted to like Kuma Miko. Really, after such a brilliant first episode, I wanted to like it. But the latter episodes, especially the finale, was just so horrendously bad. Any attempts at developing Machi and Natsu's characters were flushed down the drain completely.

Bleach was another one. I honestly loved this.... until the Arrancar arc started and from that point, it slowly started becoming clear that Kubo was just pulling everything out his ass.

Durarara!! season 2, the latter 2 cours. The first cour of the second season was okay, but the next 2 was so disappointing. Not to mention Izaya boasting about how everything happens because of him, when he has barely any impact on what's happening in the anime at the moment. He just became obnoxious after that.

Honestly, I could go on and on, but those 3 are the ones that come to mind right now.

Kruszer said:
I would have loved Basilisk if

Don't you mean it would've been better if Oboro simply hadn't existed to begin with.
Feb 16, 2017 4:02 AM

Dec 2012
yhunata said:

Kruszer said:
I would have loved Basilisk if

Don't you mean it would've been better if Oboro simply hadn't existed to begin with.

That could work too, but it would be like a crime if a character that hot didn't exist anymore.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 16, 2017 6:28 AM
Jun 2016
gabrielrroiz said:
Mariecat1 said:

I agree Ami is bae. To me she should have been a good lead. I felt she was underutilized and I really tried to like Minorin but it just didn't work at all. Nevertheless, I think Ami is quite underrated. In fact, when she was introduced on the show, that was when I got interested XD!
Mariecat1Feb 16, 2017 6:34 AM
Feb 16, 2017 6:47 AM

Apr 2015
Mariecat1 said:
gabrielrroiz said:

I agree Ami is bae. To me she should have been a good lead. I felt she was underutilized and I really tried to like Minorin but it just didn't work at all. Nevertheless, I think Ami is quite underrated. In fact, when she was introduced on the show, that was when I got interested XD!

Couln't agree more, Magi was best girl.

The only naive girl that I like in whole anime universe is Shiina Mashiro, rest are just worthless.
Feb 16, 2017 6:52 AM
Jun 2016
So for me it was SAO. It is a super popular anime, and I see it in many list of best anime...l but when I watchied it, for me it was so bad. The story sort of made nonsense and it was not as entertaining as I expected. I didn't drop but I still regret watching it....
Feb 16, 2017 7:03 AM

Jul 2012
There are moments when Kemono Friends really shines, and the overall plot is intriguing, but I always struggle with it right before I actually start watching an episode.
Feb 16, 2017 7:18 AM
Jun 2016
animesannin said:
Mariecat1 said:

Couln't agree more, Magi was best girl.

The only naive girl that I like in whole anime universe is Shiina Mashiro, rest are just worthless.

Yeah!! The first time I saw Shiina, I knew she would be one of my favorites and she is still one of my favorites! Sakurasou is one of my favorite anime and Shiina is a goddess! Too bad I couldn't find anyone similar yet in real life xD.
Feb 16, 2017 8:36 AM

Feb 2016
I'm sure this will change as time goes on, but I was pretty disappointed with Sakura Trick.

I knew there was lots of making out and such, but I was hoping it would deliver on the romance, but it fell pretty flat.

It's still decent and a good feel-good anime to watch, has a really good soundtrack, but as far as what I wanted from it, I got only about half. There was just not much romance. Both math characters were just kind of ditzy and it felt like a compilation of events rather than any sort of progression. I guess I shouldn't expect much of progression from slice of life.

Feb 16, 2017 8:43 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Mayoiga and Absolute Duo, they had potential to be good....but why? Why did they have to be unintentionally funny midway?

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 16, 2017 11:55 AM

Dec 2016
Tompa said:
@RP59 Did it get better later or was it about the same throughout the whole show?

It didn't get consistently better. Since it's episodic, certain episodes were pretty good but then others were not.
Feb 16, 2017 12:05 PM

Mar 2008
Lord_Sithis said:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena. Was super boring and repetitive and it's part of the reason why I no longer watch anime as frequently as I did before.

Last part/last season is awesome though. It's the reason why I bumped up my score so much tbh.... at the beginning till the middle I thought exactly the same and I dropped it twice, but it is worth to watch the whole thing. In the end I ended up enjoying it a lot, but I agree the first season is especially bad (=4/10). And the second is so-so (5-7/10). Third one 10/10.

@mimiiria Please read the manga of Magi instead. The anime adaption is a joke imo, I couldn't even finish the first season because it's just that bad.. the manga on the other hand is super entertaining.

Tylaen said:
91 days was quite disappointing and so was Kemono no Souja Erin, but for very different reasons that I don't feel like elaborating on, because that would bore me.

Haven't finished 91 days so I can't comment on that, but I agree with Erin to an extend. Can't remember if I commented this in the Anime Episode Discussions already, but I thought "the last battle" was super underwhelming compared to the rest of the series. It was very draggy and didn't feel very rewarding.. Too bad since I quite like this series otherwise.

I really wanted to like Akagame Ga Kill, I was actually looking forward to this series... but after few episodes it felt like a typical battle shounen only a bit more bloody and explicit... the characters were underwhelming as well. I was quite disappointed.
Feb 16, 2017 12:08 PM
Jul 2018
Vanessa said:
Lord_Sithis said:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena. Was super boring and repetitive and it's part of the reason why I no longer watch anime as frequently as I did before.

Last part/last season is awesome though. It's the reason why I bumped up my score so much tbh.... at the beginning till the middle I thought exactly the same and I dropped it twice, but it is worth to watch the whole thing. In the end I ended up enjoying it a lot, but I agree the first season is especially bad (=4/10). And the second is so-so (5-7/10). Third one 10/10.
The last part made absolutely zero sense, and since
it's even more repetitive and boring. The very last part makes less than zero sense. People tell me it's 2deep4me. Since I've said that before, I tried to do some research to see. All I've seen are theories and speculation and overanalyzing, nothing clear. So no, didn't like it at all.
Feb 16, 2017 12:12 PM

Mar 2008
@Lord_Sithis
In which way isn't it making sense to you? I thought it was quite self-explanatory, at least I remember that I got the gist of the majority of things. But it has been a while since I saw the series so my memory is bit fuzzy.
Feb 16, 2017 12:15 PM
Jul 2018
Vanessa said:
@Lord_Sithis
In which way isn't it making sense to you? I thought it was quite self-explanatory, at least I remember that I got the gist of the majority of things. But it has been a while since I saw the series so my memory is bit fuzzy.
The thing itself makes sense. It's stupid and the plot is very silly. However, Utena fans have all these kinds of theories and explanations, at minute X and second X song X plays, and that means X. Or, the shadow is facing right in this scene, this means... Basically, overanalyzing 101. Utena's plot is really really simple. But fans use this 2deep4me symbolism and super interesting and thought provoking theories to call it one of the best anime ever. I've read a lot of them, and yes, there is symbolism, but it just doesn't make the plot any better.
Feb 16, 2017 12:26 PM

Dec 2013
Yuri on Ice!! for me. I was expecting a good sports anime but finished it feeling it was a little dry and too much yaoi scenes.

Concrete Revolutio. good premise but ended up becoming a huge mess of a story.

Comet Lucifer. I think everyone can agree with me on this one.

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 2 hours ago

10 by Ten »»
6 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

16 by billybub »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

55 by Fischer77 »»
21 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

239 by TitanOfPlasma »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

60 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.