Forum Settings
Forums

Thoughts on Chuunibyou anime and Chuunibyou characters?

New
Jan 25, 2017 7:36 AM

Apr 2015
So well Chuunibyou characters is like the cast of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, Utena Tenjou, That fat guy from Oregairu, etc. They tend to believe to have supernatural powers, being the chosen one, love to use complex mythological words, and stuffs like that.

While Chuunibyou anime is where all the superpower stuffs actually exists, using complex name from mythologies and anicient lore etc, powerlevels, with sometimes having philosophical undertones such as Type-Moon stuffs, Code Geass, etc. Western equivalent are stuffs like LotR or Harry Potter.

I don't know, most of them seems to get bad name towards some amount of people but there's some character/anime that's generally praised too (you should've probably guess on which one by now)

So well, what's your thoughts towards chuu2 anime and characters? Are they good or bad?
YouJan 25, 2017 7:40 AM
Jan 25, 2017 7:50 AM

May 2016
I do not know nor care much good or bad.
They are funny most of time and that is all I care.
Being funny is the purpose of chuunibyuu after all. If a character is praised for complexity of being chuunibyuu then I assume it was not about "Chuunibyuu" but what was explored behind that "chuunibyuu" trope.
Jan 25, 2017 8:02 AM

Feb 2016
I don't hate Chuunibyou Anime/Manga/LNs - but I have to admit that the number of these shows increased a lot while the "quality" [story/characters] dropped in my opinion and this made me dislike the "genre" in general.
There are a few good ones I enjoyed a lot, but the number of "bad" Chuunibyou shows made me actually avoiding most of them.

And if you know Japanese most Chuunibyou shows' title are "pain" just by looking at. Abusing Kanji on a high level.
Jan 25, 2017 8:12 AM

May 2016
Out of the many character archetypes, chunnis are near the top of my favourites list.
It is hard to explain why since it varies to each person, but I guess their hammy demeanor while in chunni mode while being kind of a dorky when not and the reaction from the rest of the cast. I guess it is more of the attitude than the joke about having powers or not that I find funny.
Ex: Kaidou from Saiki, Megumin from Konosuba, Owain/Odin from Fire Emblem (not an anime ... yet).
TakenMalUsernameJan 25, 2017 3:43 PM
Jan 25, 2017 8:20 AM

Apr 2015
cure_potato said:
I don't hate Chuunibyou Anime/Manga/LNs - but I have to admit that the number of these shows increased a lot while the "quality" [story/characters] dropped in my opinion and this made me dislike the "genre" in general.
There are a few good ones I enjoyed a lot, but the number of "bad" Chuunibyou shows made me actually avoiding most of them.

And if you know Japanese most Chuunibyou shows' title are "pain" just by looking at. Abusing Kanji on a high level.

Eh? it's weird knowing you said that when you give high scores to chuu2 anime such as Code Geass and Utena.
Jan 25, 2017 11:08 AM

Feb 2015
I dunno dude... such characters are interesting I guess. Though really depends in what series you're talking about...
Jan 25, 2017 11:11 AM

Feb 2016
You said:
cure_potato said:

Eh? it's weird knowing you said that when you give high scores to chuu2 anime such as Code Geass and Utena.

Well like I said - there are a few titles I enjoyed A LOT. Especially the older ones. Current Chuu2 I'm not not a big fan of - as for LNs I'm not even touching Chuu2 Atmosphere LNs anymore.
Jan 25, 2017 11:34 AM
Jan 2016
I don't hate them, but they make me super cringe, so I often skip their parts. That's why I just couldn't watch Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, I just cringed too much and it wasn't much fun to me.
Jan 25, 2017 11:38 AM

Oct 2015
They are as delusional as my shitty ass when it comes to life.
Jan 25, 2017 2:44 PM

Dec 2009
Chuunibyou is fun. Why would you want to be around boring fucking normies, when you can be around a nutjob with a fancy imagination?
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 25, 2017 2:48 PM
Feb 2015
was a fun anime and the characters were fun but had some really boring moments
Jan 25, 2017 2:53 PM
Feb 2015
kamalashki said:
LouM said:
was a fun anime and the characters were fun but had some really boring moments

i plan to watch this
is it worth my time?
i think you will identify with the female main character so yes
Jan 25, 2017 2:59 PM
Feb 2015
kamalashki said:
LouM said:
i think you will identify with the female main character so yes

allrighty then i put it on my ptw
and i never drop animes
so i will watch it even if its boring and rate it honorary 2/10
i will post an in depth review on ur profile when i finish it
better be long otherwise i wont really understand your perspective.
Jan 25, 2017 5:02 PM

Mar 2015
Depend on the story. Oregairu chuuni was lame. Well, that cant be help. He just a side character.
EsperJan 25, 2017 5:28 PM
This salad is salty favored
Jan 25, 2017 5:23 PM

Dec 2016
Chunni characters are usually annoying, but occasionally they can be cute (Megumin for example).

As for anime it's either really good or really bad, depends on the execution. Usually it's bad because the show tries too hard to be philosophical or to come up with cool attack names and it just ends up being cringy... Even good chunni shows like Code Geass suffer from this problem to an extent.

What's the difference?
Jan 25, 2017 5:52 PM

Aug 2013
Havent seen it used much (or maybe because I forgot about it) aside for 2 series.
Maybe there are couple of normal slice of life anime that have parody / chuuni episode, but then I almost cant remember exact details.

If the "fictional battle" doesnt have effect in real life, then I think it pretty much useless, but if it can be to convey "dialogue between 2 characters" it could be nice with proper dramatic / tension effect.

*I think if OP can open it up to delusion / pretending or hallucination, maybe we can have more interesting discussion (like about MC from Stein Gates and NHK, or maybe about Menma from Anohana?)
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Jan 26, 2017 1:18 AM
Dec 2016
So I have watched 3 anime with Chuuni characters, of which I mostly think the Chunni aspect added to the experience positively. From what I have noticed, the animes that use the trait as a serious characteristic usually show the character using it as more of a coping mechanism.

So, there is classic Rikka Takanashi from Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, who's side more or less comes off of seeing another loony and then adopting the frame of mind to distract herself from the harshness of her reality. And the entire story (until the god awful second season) basically deals with her finally having to come to terms with her loss while still managing to stay herself. However, this use of Chuunibyo in a coming to terms with reality theme really does not work as well as it may seem. The childishness of the personality really does dilute any serious tones the anime had to offer. I think the one serious arc it had was when Rikka chose to abandon the philosophy. Over all, it was just overshadowed by anime that did the accepting reality theme better like School Live!.

Then we have Erio Touwa from Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, who once again uses Chuuni philosophy to cope with the frightening loss of her memories. This was more or less set up as an obstacle for her in the reintegration back into society as her Chuuni side had frightened a lot of people. So that was an understandable use of the trait, but again, it wasn't exactly crucial.

Then there was Megumin from Konosuba. I loved this character. Her Chuunibyo was presented with a slightly self glorifying tone, which I think was a great use of situational irony when it comes time to justify her boasts or her not so subtle attempts at weaseling out of prior claims. But honestly, this was about the most down to earth character among the 3. Her personality is a lot more diverse than just Chuunibyo or timid and she actually does have her own moments of (short lived sometimes) glory.

So all in all, I don't dislike the Chuunibyo trait, just as long as they can still be interesting characters outside of just being comedically loony.
qatm4450Jan 26, 2017 12:11 PM
Jan 26, 2017 2:46 AM

Nov 2009
You said:
So well Chuunibyou characters is like the cast of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, Utena Tenjou, That fat guy from Oregairu, etc. They tend to believe to have supernatural powers, being the chosen one, love to use complex mythological words, and stuffs like that.

While Chuunibyou anime is where all the superpower stuffs actually exists, using complex name from mythologies and anicient lore etc, powerlevels, with sometimes having philosophical undertones such as Type-Moon stuffs, Code Geass, etc. Western equivalent are stuffs like LotR or Harry Potter.

I don't know, most of them seems to get bad name towards some amount of people but there's some character/anime that's generally praised too (you should've probably guess on which one by now)

So well, what's your thoughts towards chuu2 anime and characters? Are they good or bad?

1) I love things you call "chuunibyou anime".

2) Chuunibyou characters can be a lot of fun.

People who don't like chuuni anime or characters are boring.

iwansquall said:
Havent seen it used much (or maybe because I forgot about it) aside for 2 series.

The three well-known anime that use chuunibyou a lot are Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai (about a group of people who either are chuuni or were chuuni before, and romance), Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de (all the team has powers beyond human understanding, but only the main character goes overboard with that, because he is into chuuni anime/books), and Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo (the team's mage wields awesome magic, but, once again, she makes a really big deal about it, and tries to seem more impressive, especially compared to other, quite modest, mages in the setting).
The girlfriend from Denpa-Teki na Kanojo might have chuunibou too. Or she might be for real - we do not know.

On the dark side, we have Maryuuin Koga Saigo no Tatakai. It's pretty much the same as Chuu2Koi, except it's grimdark and people are evil.
Jan 26, 2017 2:50 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
They're just the best. There's no anime trope which can consistently bring as much sheer fun factor as chuuni girls. They're almost impossible to dislike, pretty much without exception
Jan 26, 2017 3:17 AM

Jun 2016
Most of the time they get a certain weird pretentious vibe to them which I'm not a fan of, it's alright when it's just a lighthearted aspect added to a show and the premise itself is not based around it all that much.
Jan 26, 2017 3:19 AM

Jun 2014
HaXXspetten said:
They're just the best. There's no anime trope which can consistently bring as much sheer fun factor as chuuni girls. They're almost impossible to dislike, pretty much without exception

Except emotionless girls and those amazing eyes and voice >_<
Jan 26, 2017 3:29 AM

Nov 2014
I'm quite indifferent. These characters can't exist alone, so the whole thing is less dependent on them alone than it is on the combination between the chuu2 and the straight man character that tries to bring the chuu2 back to reality.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 26, 2017 3:33 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Kagami said:
HaXXspetten said:

That only works with the right husky voice acting and most importantly the right lines. Saying cute things with an emotionless voice is super cute, but girls who are just cold-hearted androids no thanks. That's why for example Tsukiko is amazing and Hitagi is shit
Jan 26, 2017 3:37 AM

Jun 2014
HaXXspetten said:
Kagami said:

That only works with the right husky voice acting and most importantly the right lines. Saying cute things with an emotionless voice is super cute, but girls who are just cold-hearted androids no thanks. That's why for example Tsukiko is amazing and Hitagi is shit

The eyes always make me smile.... I think I have a kawaiii problem XD

I find it so adorable ,_,
Jan 26, 2017 3:39 AM

Oct 2007
I appreciate chunnibyou shows, but I think I look at them a little differently from @You because I think that sometimes powers are real in the in-universe, like in Code Geass or Utena. It's true that the characters are dripping with edge, but to me that's a little different from the comedy that comes from knowing the character is absolutely delusional and to me a chunnibyou show is one that lets the viewer know.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Aug 24, 2021 11:48 PM

Jun 2015
I used to think of them as a silly comedy, which they mostly are, but now that I'm older, I feel sorry for them because they want to escape the harsh real world by creating delusions; it's a serious form of escapism.
Aug 25, 2021 12:17 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
if chuuni anime are self aware, then they are a treat
chuuni characters are amazing (kaido, okabe etc etc)

Type moon stuff that is chuuni and not even self-aware are plain old annoying

Aug 25, 2021 12:36 AM

Feb 2020
I hate Rikka so much and I can't explain it. Perhaps it's because of her superior sister and the screentime she steals from her.
Aug 25, 2021 12:45 AM

Oct 2008
After watching the Aura movie, I no longer looked at the chuunibyou anime as parodies (which I despise). If I had to say, then between Isekai, Idol and Chuunibyou, if I had to discard one, it wouldn't be Chuunibyou.

More topics from this board

» WTF is the point of sexualizing male characters? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Mar 30

69 by Eleben »»
57 seconds ago

» finding a anime

ljaylotti - 20 minutes ago

1 by Eleben »»
11 minutes ago

» What is the biggest problem in the world of anime in your opinion? ( 1 2 )

castle2001 - May 5

50 by rsc-pl »»
14 minutes ago

» How much time do you spend discussing anime?

RobertBobert - 4 hours ago

10 by CorayyAnime »»
24 minutes ago

» Best grey haired girl?

Spunkert - Feb 4

7 by Serafos »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.